Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2868

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2868
by Angharad

Copyright© 2016 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
*****

239 dozen

I hadn’t slept that well worrying about the task ahead of me and the risks involved. Simon as usual, worried or not, zonked like a baby. I assumed the man who was sent to kill me—because I suspect it was possibly part of the plan—was also bent on recovering the file Tom had given me.

I glanced at the clock, it was four in the morning. Jason was coming to dinner later, hopefully with my revised contract. I wondered if we could modify an original but with the revised wording, would they notice? O’Connor might, but if he was distracted, it might just find its way into the personnel file drawer without being seen. I’d have to get Sammi to see if she could copy one or create one sufficiently to make the forgery. She enjoyed a challenge.

If I understood things correctly, O’Connor our hated Vice Chancellor had caused the deaths of dozens of people in Nigeria. Somehow he managed to bribe his way out of being investigated and the victims were accused of stealing from an oil or gas pipe. One of the papers was a cutting from The Guardian suggesting that he was responsible and that some engineering expert had examined the site and discovered that there had been no attempt to steal oil or gas but that the design of the pipeline was flawed and the person in charge of the monitoring of the pipe, was drunk and asleep. Of course he was blamed and while on remand, some nice person cut his throat as he slept.

The Guardian journalist discovered that the murdered man didn’t drink so it was suspected he was drugged and would thus take the rap. No one seemed to care that much and the government were far more concerned with terrorism that bringing an act of mass manslaughter to book. The oil company, Africoil, avoided paying anything out and O’Connor got a promotion. These guys were all heart.

A few years later a similar accident occurred in Ecuador and dozens were killed in an accident. This time O’Connor was the director involved with health and safety. The buck stopped with him. Of course he and the company bought themselves out of any danger and O’Connor returned to his Bristol apartment overlooking the Avon gorge. He may be a creep but he was one with a bit of style.

There was a list of names and addresses of the victims and the witnesses which the courts failed to recognise which possibly James could make use of or get someone to interview and get declarations signed. I must admit I felt safer when he was around if there were gun toting nasties around the place.

“Why did he have to kill them?” I asked myself which answered itself with the most obvious response—dead men tell no tales. I or Tom could find myself in that situation—in fact, he could already be in that situation. I called upon the goddess to protect us.

I found myself in that place of light, like a huge cathedral only bigger than any I’ve seen. This time I knelt and looked down at the floor. It would save time if nothing else. I felt the presence approaching me, the light coming off it was immense but I kept staring at the ground or risk blinding myself.

“Why do you summon us, Catherine?”

“I need your help, Milady.”

“Oh so now we are a common lackey are we?”

“No, Milady, you are a queen of heaven but one who cares about her agents and servants.”

“How do you know this?”

“Because you have deigned to help me before.”

“Have we? So why should we help you again?”

“Because it is in your nature to protect those you deem your agents.”

“So who is this agent we so deem protectable?”

“I am honoured to have that task, with three of my daughters once they realise they have been chosen.”

“But have they, have you? How can you know you’ve been chosen?”

“You told me yourself, milady, in this very place.”

“Did we? That was remiss of us.”

“Feel honoured as a woman to serve you, milady.”

“When it suits you, as we recall.”

“It might appear that way...”

“Because it is?” the voice in my head completed.

“I am in grave danger, as my children and my adopted father. These are all people special to me and some are future servants of yours. I would seek your help and advice to protecting them so we may glorify your name.”

“Catherine, while you may seem adept in finding and conserving dormice, you seemed to have missed your primary occupation; that of comedienne.”

Yeah, not stand up but kneel down variety. “I am sorry that you find me so unworthy. I am fighting for what I believe in...”

“Except we are not one of them as you so frequently declare to any who are stupid enough to listen.”

“No, that’s a blind, not to draw attention to you.”

“Your stories get more tedious by the moment.”

“Milady, please I beseech you, help me and mine. Please help me to defend honesty and integrity which I try to uphold against a very venal opponent who thinks nothing of taking life to protect his lifestyle and hide his lies. Please I beg of you help me to show the world how evil this man is.”

“And telling us lies is acceptable providing it is you who are doing it?”

“I’m not telling lies now, milady, I am scared for the lives of my family and even my own. If I am dead, I think it unlikely that I should finish your purpose.”

“Perhaps we are so disappointed in your performance of late that we consider it unnecessary to save you.”

“That is your prerogative.”

“Indeed it is.” There was a slight pause before the voice continued, “However, given the purity of your heart, we may pander to your request, which is?”

She hadn’t said she wouldn’t protect us but I’ve already asked for that—um. “Milady, show me how I might defeat this demon and promulgate your beneficence.”

“Flattery is unworthy of you, Catherine, but as we consider your cause is a just one we will give you one item of advice. Believe that you will be victorious, especially in his presence and ultimately you will be.”

“That’s it?” I said out loud.

“What is?” asked Simon sleepily.

“Uh what?”

“You said, that’s it.”

“Did I, I must have been dreaming.”

“Yeah, guess so,” he yawned and slipped back into sleep. I have no idea how long I spent with the goddess but upon looking at the clock saw it was one minute past four. I slept and amazingly felt rested and refreshed when I awoke the next morning.

I called Jason who apologised and said he’d have to cancel our dinner engagement, he was needed up country and wouldn’t be back in time. I mentioned counterfeiting the contract form and he coughed. “Just wait until you see my recommendations,” he said, “You’ll receive it this morning by messenger.”

“Not the winged variety?” I joked thinking of my dream.

“No, motorbike is more likely.”

Half an hour later Diane brought in a sealed plastic envelope in which I found exactly what I was proposing. I compared it with the one in my drawer—they looked identical until you read the wording. Diane saw me looking and told me that the form was a standard contract blank which loads of companies used. I signed it and delivered it to the Vice Chancellor’s secretary. She scanned it without really seeing it, looking that it was signed and dated. Thanked me, ticked me off a list and put it in a box file with several others.

I was about to return to my bolt hole when he came out of his office. “Ah, the angel seems not to fear to tread, so much for fools and poets. How nice to see you, Professor, I hear you had an unpleasant evening.”

“Not as unpleasant as the man who stepped out in front of the car which had come to collect him.”

“Did he indeed.”

“I think you already knew that.”

“Clairvoyance is not one of my normal attributes.”

“No but you’re a dab hand with making people and evidence vanish, aren’t you?”

“Be careful about making accusations in front of witnesses, my dear professor, it might count against you in a court of law.”

“I’ll bear it in mind. Thank you for the advice.”

“You have none to return the favour?” he teased.

I paused, “She who laughs last, laughs longest. Good day to you.”

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
251 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

She returned to the Lion's den?

I am surprised that she tried to continue life as normal.

Where will all this go?

Gwen

Signed, sealed, and delivered

Signed, sealed, and delivered and done so in front of witnesses. He can't get her the normal way now that her contract is signed and filed without making it show that her contract was tampered with by someone other than her. Brilliant move by her, the ball is in his court now and she will be ready for any action.

I am beginning to wonder about the "believe in him" comment. Sounds like either Simon or James are going to be major players here, she just doesn't know how or why but they will be.

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

Cathy is definitely "baiting"

Cathy is definitely "baiting" the viper in his own den.
Hopefully this will help to keep him a bit off balance and he will simply see that she signed "the contract" and not pay that close attention to it.
Will be fun when she uses it against him later, say like at his trial.

Cathy walks a fine line

She leans on the Goddess, but denounces everything the Goddess is in public, even while practicing honor and good faith in her life. There is place for spiritual value, though you don't have to evangelize.

Contract

shiraz's picture

I can't help the feeling that he'll spot the alteration and have a forged copy prepared with the 'correct' wording before dismissing Cathy on spurious grounds, Tom too.

Shiraz

- - - -

Paperback cover Boat That Frocked.png

I believe Jason is expecting

I believe Jason is expecting something like that and is ready to pounce if he tries it.

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

Bearding the lion in his own den.

I guess Jason is as good as they come, I would think he has planned for everything.
Great dream session, dosen't it border on Religion ?
Anyway, good reading !

Karen

Ever had your beneficence promulgated?

Rhona McCloud's picture

Cathy seduces the goddess with the prospect of having her beneficence promulgated (sounds kinky) but must also continue doing her job and give the VC advice…. If this were the Beverly Hillbillies she could advise him to plant his corn early (Jed Clampett’s idea of a tip) but in the UK… ? Don’t judge a book by the cover? Don't count your chickens before they hatch? If you want something done you have to do it yourself…? Got it! The goddess helps those who help themselves.
I’m looking forward to the fireworks Angharad.

Rhona McCloud

Tighten those lips, Cathy

Podracer's picture

Oft you have used a timely recording of a villain, to your advantage, and you may think this man is too arrogant to care, but he has a past full of dodgy dealing to teach him a few tricks himself.

"Reach for the sun."

Seems to be

a case two forces heading for an almighty collision , I know where my money will be if that happens ,Especially as one side appears to have help from an higher being, Mind you O'Connor does seem to have links with the dark side and the Devil does love his own .... Could make for an interesting few days ahead !

Kirri