Marley for the Win Part 3

Printer-friendly version

Marley for the Win Part 3

Marley in his sisters old kit.

Marley paused before turning the corner and entering the busy downstairs bathroom corridor again. He was losing his nerve, he was feeling a bit dizzy and grabbed a railing along the wall. Marley was a shy boy, he didn’t like drawing attention to himself, and he had always harbored a great fear of humiliation. “I can’t do this,” he said and turned around to head back up and get out of this ridiculous costume.

“Sure you can,” a voice said. Marley turned to see a middle aged man in full cycling kit who just rounded the corner, he a was a bit heavier than your average cycling buff. “It’s just a race,” he said with a big smile on his face.

Marley realized he needed to say something but he was afraid to use his voice, after a couple seconds awkward pause he said, “Thanks, I’m just nervous.”

“Yeah I was too the first time I raced, I’m Will by the way, what’s your name,” he said as he stuck out his hand.

“Marley, I’ve never raced before,” Marley said as she took his hand in a shy and light handshake.
“So you, umm, 14 or so Marley?”

“I’m thirteen sir, but I turn fourteen in June.”

“Well I’ll give you some advice young Miss, first you’ll be racing with girls older and younger then you. Watch out for the younger ones, they may over react, you know hit the brakes. You need to try and stay behind the older and taller girls who know what they are doing. They’re not in your class but that doesn’t mean you can’t draft them. Never get in the wind, always stay behind someone. Oh, and most important, it’s just for fun, don’t stress out,” Will explained.

“Thank You sir.”

“Good luck,” Will said and went on his way. Marley took a deep breath when he was gone, I guess this is going to work, he thought. He stepped out into the busy hallway and walked past the people waiting for the bathroom. No one paid him any attention, though he was quite sure a few of the younger guys might have gave him a look over. Marley went back outside in the warm and beautiful spring day and rode his bike back to their parking spot.

“Oh my gosh,” his Mom said.
“Hi Mom,” he shyly said.

“Wow, turn around for me,” Lisa said. Marley groaned and turned around giving his Mom a 360 view. She drew up close and took him by the shoulders, “Honestly if I didn’t know you were a boy I’d never… Oh I got you something,” Lisa pulled a bag from the front of the van and took out a jewelry set. It was pink heart shaped earrings and a matching neckless.

“Seriously,” Marley said.

“Well I wasn’t sure about this but I thought some earrings would help, honestly you don’t need them, but would you mind wearing them for me since I did just run out and buy them, they clip on,” Lisa said.

Marley crossed his arms and made a pouty face, “I guess,” he said.

His Mom clipped the earrings on and hung the neckless around his neck. “Oh you are so cute,” she said. Marley could feel his face warming up with embarrassment. A few moments later his sister rolled up wearing her new kit. It was still girlish but not as childish as Marley’s outfit. It had light pastel stripes running horizontally but Marley noticed how it too was designed and shaped to accentuate the hourglass figure.

“You did a great job getting your sister ready Ann,” Lisa said.

“Thanks Mom, I love to help out little Sis,” Ann said with a smile.

“Really am I not humiliated enough?” Marley asked.

His Mom drew in close, “Sorry hon, but we need to play it up, we don’t want to get caught.” She drew out and announced a bit too loudly, “All right girls, let’s go register,”

A large tent housed the registration area and inside a few people were filling out their forms. A friendly volunteer waved them over and handed Lisa a form. “Hello mam, are you pre registered?”

“No, my girls and I need to sign up,” Lisa said.

“Great, both girls under 18?” the volunteer asked.

“Yes, Ann here is 15 and Marley is 13,” Lisa answered.

“Allrighty they can go on your form, and make sure you fill out the section for a one day race license.”

Lisa and the girls sat down to fill out the form and Marley did his best to disappear completely.

“Lisa? Lisa Mattingly? Is that you?” A man in a “BikeTech” race kit asked startling Marley so bad that he jumped. Someone knew his Mom here, this was a disaster.

“Paul? Is that you? God it’s been forever, Kids meet Paul Kimmage, he introduced me to bicycle racing a long time ago,” Lisa said. Marley avoided eye contact, but Ann spent a moment to look over this Paul character, he was inshape and looked good for an older guy, she was impressed.

“Hello,” Ann said.

“Nice to meet you girls, looks like you’re racing today, have you guys raced before?” Paul asked.

“No sir, but we’ve been training since last year,” Ann replied.

“Well that’s good to hear, you’ll be racing with my daughters Mandy and Amy, I’ll tell them to look out for you.”

“Oh you have daughters too, I didn’t even know you got married,” Lisa said.
“Yeap, didn’t know you were married either,” Paul answered.

“Yeah it’s Lisa May now, but I’m not married anymore,” Lisa replied.

“Oh sorry to hear that,” Paul answered.

“Don’t be, it’s for the best.”

“Listen we’ve got to catch up,” Paul checked his watch, “The girls’ race is in about 45 minutes and they need to warm up, that’s real important. Lets watch it together and we can catch up, “Paul pointed to spot where large “BikeTech” banners were located, that’s BikeTech corner, come over and say hi.”

“Great thanks,” Lisa answered. When Paul was gone Marley gave his Mom a look that could cut through glass.

“You said we didn’t know anyone here,” he said.

“I don’t, or I didn’t, it’s been like almost 20 years since I’ve seen him, he didn’t even know I had kids so relax,” Lisa said.

“What’s the story Mom, who’s the Hunk,” Ann asked.

Now it was Lisa’s turn to blush, “Just an old college friend, we went out some and he got me interested in bicycle riding and racing.” Lisa answered.

“So in a way Paul is the reason we are here today?” Ann asked.

“No we are the reason we’re here today, but Paul is right, you need to warm up, go ride about 20 minutes or so and meet me back at the van to get your numbers,” Lisa said. Marley and Lisa did laps around the parking lot mostly in silence. Marley was trying his best to be inconspicuous but he couldn’t help noticing another rider shadowing him and slowly gaining. He was around Marley’s age dressed in a zipped down “BikeTech” racing kit and looked like he’d been through the wringer. He noticed Marley looking and pulled up along side.

“Hey there, you getting ready to race?” he asked.
“Yeah, junior girls,” Marley answered shyly.

“Cool, I just finished junior boys,” he said.

There was a pause and Marley figured he was waiting to be asked how he did, “So… how’d it go,” he asked.

“Well I think I got 3rd in the 14-15, but I’m not sure there were a lot of guys ahead of me. The big hill is killer, especially if you’re not a climber, it’s right about at mile 5, that’s where everything blew up, I was right there behind the older guys, then boom, someone went for an attack, and…”

“Come on Marley, we’ve got to go,” his sister interrupted.

“Good luck guys,” the boy said.

“Thanks,” Ann said as she herded Marley away.

“Whats the deal trying to get a date?” Ann said once the boy was out of ear shot.

“No, he started talking to me,” Marley said.

“Well you can’t blame him when you’re looking so cute,” Ann replied.

“Oh God please kill me,” Marley said.

“I wouldn’t say that when you’re about to do a bike race,” Ann said.

“Yeah, sorry, just kidding God,”

up
212 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Getting cuter by the moment.

Getting cuter by the moment. Marley looks very nice in her riding togs, being all in pink with hearts on the top. Definitely a young teenage girl's style and look.

Thank You!

Thank You!

Well written and believable

Valcyte's picture

Once you accept the initial premise that Marley is too stressed to avoid an instantaneous boys, "yuck, dress like a girl"? reaction, and accept the offer to race. The dialogue flows really well. The insertion of the new characters is also believable. Looking forward to more from you.

Val

Thanks, appreciate it, trying

Thanks, appreciate it, trying to keep it somewhat believable.