Mercy Chapter 8

Printer-friendly version

Mercy Chapter 8

Faith said, “Talia, please go get help.”

“On it.” Talia said, and started inching away.

Trying to keep the man from noticing Talia, Faith launched herself into the air, and confronted him.

“Are you the one responsible for this chaos? Did you send that poor creature to kill me?”

“That poor creature is a hell hound. And he wasn’t going to kill you, just hurt you - a lot.”

“Why?”

“Because you have something that belongs to me, and I want it.”

“What do you think I have? I’ve just manifested a couple of days ago.”

Then their two minds met ...

Faith saw this boy had started as a girl, until she had been beaten and raped, triggering her mutation, her sex change, and her desire for vengeance.

Making her an easy target for a creature that fed on darkness, who was looking for a weapon of chaos and pain ... who went by the name of The Bastard.

The new boy had taken the name Brand, and the code name ...

Vendetta.

And he had been responsible for nullifying her father’s medication, in an attempt to trigger her change under the same kind of circumstances as his own.

For a moment she was angry, but the more she looked into his mind, the harder it was to hate him.

She also saw this “book” he was looking for - both a history of the people they drew their power from, and a powerful magical resource he believed he could use in his quest for vengeance.

Then the contact between them was broken.

“You ... don’t have the book. Or at least not yet.” Brand said.

“No, I don’t. But I can help you. Come back to the school with me. We can look together, you would be safe there.”

“You ... would want to help me? After what I did to your father?”

“Yes. Because I believe in Mercy.”

For a moment, he wavered, then the anger came back.

“Mercy is for the weak! I have to be strong!”

“Believe me, it takes strength to show mercy. I could hate you for what you did to my father. But it wouldn’t change it. Mercy is ... harder than vengeance, but at least it's not a dead end.”

“You want mercy? I’ll give you some. I wont kill you right now. I’ll give you a year to find that book and give it to me. If you don’t, you, your friends, your school, everyone will suffer.”

Then he pushed her away, and roared into the sky.

In a moment, he was out of sight.

Faith allowed herself to sink to the ground, and shook.

To her surprise, the three-headed dog limped over to her, and leaned against her.

Faith put her arms around the hell-hound, and let herself grieve. Crying for her mother, her father, and surprisingly for the boy responsible for what had happened to them.

Then she heard a voice.

“It seems like you’ve acquired a friend.”

Faith looked up.

“Mrs. Carson?”

To Be Continued ...

up
250 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I'm on it!

Really? Oh, yes, right, (slips away in a different form). :P Faith is now fighting the "Darkside"? Dang "Bastard"! (Giggles!) Keep'em comin' Dottie! Loving Hugs Talia

thanks, Talia

glad you're liking this!

DogSig.png

Wonder?

I wonder if Irvine's Whateley character Luna is going to be making an appearance to help Mercy with the Bastard and his minions? It's nice to see Mercy has a rather formidable new friend as she helped her friends old and new out. Wonder what you feed a hell hound as well?

feeding a hell hound?

yeah, and taking one for walkies ...

I would have to check with Irvine about Luna. I agree she'd make a powerful ally.

Thanks for commenting.

DogSig.png

I bet....

.... that Peeper will not bother her while she's walking it either as well.

nicely done

Wow Dorothy you really threw me for a loop with this one. I liked this story before but you are weaving a great plot that keeps turning every which way adding new layers to it. I can't wait for the next edition, it's an excellent must-read.

And that was a great cliffhanger. A hellhound would make a nice guard dog for the school, especially if it knows who are students and faculty and who isn't. Nothing worse than having a hellhound chasing you for breaking onto school ground especially with ill intent!

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

Good things come in small

Podracer's picture

chapters. Is that right? Seems not quite the quote, but certainly the opinion.
Is Faith ready for a "pet" though. I can't recall whether Whately has an official kennels, I'm sure there is a stables though. I just wonder if there is a Hawthorne type wing for some of the more unusual fauna which may be attached to the students.
Faith is showing the required strength that she mentioned above, isn't she.

"Reach for the sun."

A three headed puppy, cute

Sammi's picture

Almost as cute as Joanie's 'Puddy Tats' George and Gracie.

Sounds like Chief Delarose, may now have Faith in his security staff.


"REMEMBER, No matter where you go, There you are."

Sammi xxx

Very happy

Happy for Fido and it seems there is still hope to free Brand from the Bastard influence. Faith empath power seems to be very useful indeed. Fido as a tattoo.. hmm feed her with more magic and healing power too I assume.
And just think of this: a dog tattoo that can really growl.. hehehe ;)

glad you liked it

I love the image of a growling tattoo ...

thanks for commenting!

DogSig.png

Kudos!

I love it. :)

The higher road

Jamie Lee's picture

Revenge or vengeance are actions which are usually expected when someone wants to get back at those who've "done someone wrong."

Revenge or vengeance are like a cancer, which can spread like an out of control fire. And bring about destruction to a degree not seen when they were enacted.

Both are angry emotions which tend to drive people away because of all the hate involved.

While mercy is just the opposite, composed of a love those filled with hate can't comprehend. And it's this type of love which will draw people in.

And, not everyone is strong enough to put away the hate and hurt they feel to allow mercy the chance to heal not only the offender, but the one offended.

But not everyone has the chance to have their own three headed animal to comfort them during their grief.

Another really good chapter that helps make this story even better.

Others have feelings too.

thanks, Jamie Lee

I am really trying to present mercy vs vengeance in a way people can relate to, I'm glad you're liking my attempt, and thanks for commenting.

DogSig.png