The Crush

Printer-friendly version
The Crush

A Valentine's Romance by Melanie E.

This is just a little vignette I worked up as a starter, if your will, for my mini contest. Hope everyone enjoys!

------/--6@

I saw her every day, almost. Sometimes it would be in passing, a quick glimpse when I hadn't expected it, and sometimes it would only be when I went out of the way to find her. Those were the times she was most glamorous, but it was the times I would find her without meaning to that always meant the most to me, because the girl I was always looking for... was me.

I knew I wasn't the only person in the world who felt the pain of being... wrong. Being broken. Being one person on the outside, when inside everything told me I was someone else. Knowing that was never enough to take away the pain though. It was only those times I saw her, the me inside, the person I hoped to one day be, that helped to dull the ache, at least for a while.

That, and Ben.

We'd been friends for years. In high school he was one of my links to a social life, and in college he was the only reason I ever left the dorm at all. Together we shared ownership of our small book store, and it was because of him that it all felt worthwhile to keep pressing on, even when it was because of him that I had delayed seeking help for so long.

Ben was more than just my friend, more than my business partner. He was everything to me, and I was too scared of losing him to ever consider risking our relationship with transition.

This went on for years. Days spent together in the book store, nights spent either hanging out or on our own, him never learning my own feelings. Girlfriends came and went for him, while I always insisted that I was too busy, or too focused on making our shoestring-budget stretch to worry about dating. It was a system I hated, but I'd learned to accept, finding as much solace as I could being myself at home and lamenting my own cowardice.

When I found the note in my inbox at work, I was confused at first. Valentine's day was still a few days away, and who would send me anything in the first place? But there it was, an envelope with my name on it, and inside a simple card. It was pink, with flowers around the edge, and some meaningless bit of nothing written on it, the typical type of thing you get around the time, but what stood out to me most was the message inside:

"For the most beautiful girl I've never seen."

The note floored me, but just as surprising was what was taped beneath; a gift card to one of the nicest salons in town.

I felt a lot of things. Worry that someone knew my secret. Anger that this all might be some trick. The obvious surprise, of course, that I would get anything at all. And last, something I hadn't realized I'd been missing for some time.

For just a moment, I felt happy.

-==-

Ben was careful to keep his posture as nonchalant as he could. He had hidden the envelope earlier in the day with the hopes that he would be there when Des found it, and sure enough his patience had been rewarded.
It took supreme effort to keep his eyes on his nonexistent computer work while watching out the corner of his eye as his best friend and partner opened his gift. For the briefest of moments after the card was opened he was afraid he had made some kind of mistake, until the change he had seen before came.

There she was, the girl he had so rarely seen, but came out every time Des smiled.

Maybe, Ben hoped, this time she would stick around.

-=End=-

NOTES: This is the first bit of stuff I've written since, golly... October? Whenever I last posted here.

Okay, not the FIRST, since I've made a little progress on my books, but still. I hope everyone enjoys this. And be sure to leave a comment and let me know what ya think!

up
233 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

so nice

Tissue warning! blubbing away at how nice this is

Nice

Christina H's picture

Seeing the woman inside I would be interested in more of this - if possible

Christina

Resonant.

... it was the times I would find her without meaning to that always meant the most to me, because the girl I was always looking for... was me.

Ever read (or hear) one of those lines that rings you like a bell?

I need tissues!

Hypatia Littlewings's picture

You made me smile at the same time that I teared up.

>i< ..:::

Will you never learn

I see you made a mistake again that needs correction. I've helped you before but this is your story.
The mistake was the word -End- that needs to be erased and replaced with -Pause-.
Once you've made the change use the Edit and we will forgive you. Then please take a breath and carry on your good work.
Well done. I like it.

Jules

# End Of File

Hypatia Littlewings's picture

Maybe?

*giggles*
>i< ..:::

This Is Wonderful

littlerocksilver's picture

Please take this and run with it.

Portia

I feel a novel hidden in this

I feel a novel hidden in this somewhere


Hugs from British Columbia! :D

Yet again, my thanks knows no bounds.

To everyone who's commented so far, thanks for reading and letting me know what y'all think!

As per usual, this is meant to stand on its own. If someone else wants to run with the concepts, just ask and I'll toss it over though!

I AM trying to get back into writing more, but I've got too many long-form projects on my list already to add this one too.

Melanie E.

This is beautiful

and believe me the end is where it has to be.

Wow......

D. Eden's picture

So much meaning and emotion packed into such a short story. This was beautiful.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

It just shows that you never

It just shows that you never know who knows about you or suspects, and wants to actually see the real you at some point, in a loving,
non-judgemental way.

Two Too Scared

joannebarbarella's picture

To make the first move. A Valentine's Card is of course anonymous. Well, Ben, I hope the gift voucher does the trick. There's true love waiting to bloom here.

Nice one Rasufelle.

True self hidden in side

Reading this story reminds me of what an ex-girlfriend told me she saw in side of me (the inter girl) that is but she told me her secret. Then 8 years later another ex said the same thing but she was the first to see it but was scared to say something about it. This story says that only your best and dearest friends can see the real you.

I guess it doesn't matter if your a girl trapped in a boys body, a boy trapped in a girls body or a boy that likes girls and dresses like a girl well or in a girls case likes boys and dress like a boy as well.

Wolf_0.jpg

This was sunshine breaking

This was sunshine breaking through clouds on a rainy day, a rainbow while walking in a park - the sound of a purring kitten.

It was excellent and wonderful and eeee in my head I can only imagine how it went from here.

Xx
Amy

Thank you.

Beautiful story. :¨)¨¨¨

Totally agree

Jamie Lee's picture

I totally agree with those who said this story needs to be continued.

Des wants her to come out and so does Ben. But will she? Will she finally realize the card is from Ben?

Others have feelings too.

Cute and sweet!

Cute and sweet!

Thank you!

A surprise late comment, woo!

Melanie E.