Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2853

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2853
by Angharad

Copyright© 2015 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
*****

Making lunch followed on from the ironing, normally this would have irked me but my new understanding of my mother gave me a good feeling and David and Amanda were entitled to have the odd day off.

I decided to do bacon and eggs a meal we rarely eat partly because we need the equivalent of three pigs and the entire output of a poultry farm. Only joking, two dozen eggs is enough. I did mushrooms, tomatoes and loads of toast—well Trish did the toast which Livvie buttered. Daddy wasn’t terribly impressed having expected a roast dinner but I resisted the temptation to invite him to cook it next time. I had planned one for our evening meal but wondered if I would do something different just to annoy him. Silly old fool just turns up eats and criticises when he doesn’t get his own way. However, criticising him or playing silly buggers wasn’t going to resolve things and improve his appreciation.

“Sorry it’s not a roast dinner but I’ve just done three hours of ironing, anyone who’d like to take over the ironing to give me time to make a nice meal would be most appreciated.” There were no takers funnily enough or complaints. Simon was in heaven he loves bacon and eggs, so he munched through his and ate a pile of toast afterwards. Trish had to go and make some more.

“Hmm,” said Trish as we cleared up, “Daddy seems to think toast grows on trees.”

“Not quite, he knows where it comes from he’s seen me making it. He’s just never done it himself that I can remember.”

She thought that was funny and then went on about the time he had to get her out of bed to show him how the washing machine worked. That was the day he destroyed my grandmother’s damask table cloth. All he had to do was pour white wine over the stain of the red one and it would have washed it out then all he had to do was rinse it or leave it to soak and I’d have washed it when I got home. Being a twit, he didn’t do either.

I played snakes and ladders with the younger girls then we had a game of dingbats. I’m sure Trish has memorised all the answers because she has the answer before I finish reading the clue. She won by miles.

Mid afternoon we had a text from Danielle to say she’d be ready in an hour. I asked Simon to go and get her. He was just settling down for a snooze so wasn’t best pleased, but he did go with Trish and Livvie going along for the ride in his F type. As soon as I mentioned I could go but he’d have cook dinner, he jumped up went for a wee and then set off with his two navigators.

Hannah jumped at my invitation to help me make dinner, she grumbled that her old mother didn’t cook very much and that they lived off take-aways or junk food that only needed to be warmed in a microwave.

“You can cook decent food in a microwave too, you know.”

“Like what?” she replied so cynically I almost wanted to cut her in half and count the rings to see if she was as young as she said she was.

“Like jacket potatoes, or scrambled eggs, or greenstuff. It’s mostly about using your imagination.”

“I know one thing you couldn’t cook in it,” she danced around as she spoke.

“What’s that?”

“Ice cream,” she said and danced around some more. There’s always one isn’t there?

We part cooked the roast potatoes in the microwave and Hannah, who was in charge of that part of the menu, did really well zapping them and then placing them on a board as I insisted on doing anything with hot fat—it’s like napalm.

We had a whole shoulder of pork which I’d put in the Aga while I was actually ironing and as Daddy would expect apple sauce I got Hannah to peel a couple of Bramley apples and to chop them after removing the core. She didn’t understand the difference between cookers and eaters or dessert apples so I let her taste a bit of Bramley. She now knew the difference.

I boiled up the apple with some sugar and cinnamon and left it to cool. Then I did potatoes for boiling, some curly kale, some mushrooms, some carrots and some whole green beans. Everyone should find something they liked in that lot.

We basted the meat, pouring some fat over it before putting it back in the oven. She’d never done that before either. I suspect we’ve got a whole generation of children, not just girls, who’ve never watched or helped their mothers or fathers cook a meal. Some don’t even appear to know where meat comes from or vegetables. Our lot do, they get called upon to help Daddy grow it and then harvest it. Danielle is his favourite, she loves to help him something I’m pleased she retained from her boyhood only now she wears gloves for everything in case she dirties her hands or breaks a nail. Sometimes she is so girly I wonder if I brought the right kid home from the hospital. The way she took to being a fulltime girl was like a duck to water so why was I so surprised by her? Why did I think she was only playing at it? So did Julie who is much closer to her age than I am, yet Trish had no doubts whatsoever. Mind you Trish thinks being a girl is such fun everyone should have a try.

“What time will this be ready, Mummy?” asked Hannah as we stopped for a tea break and I invited Julie and Phoebe to come and have some.

“I’m not hurrying it so Daddy and the girls can get back with Danielle while it’s still hot.”

“Yeah, I ’spect she’ll be a bit peckish after all that runnin’ around,” said Julie pouring the teas. “Never thought she’d be a such a girly girl though, always thought soccer players were tomboys or lezzies.”

I gave her a scornful look and then indicated Hannah behind her. She blushed and mimed ‘sorry’.

“It’s rather nice that she enjoys being a girl so much,” was my comment in reply.

“She seems to, just hope the other shoe don’t fall.”

“Drop,” I corrected, “the expression is waiting for the other shoe to drop.”

“Whatever—but if it does ‘drop’ she is gonna be so screwed.”

“Why’s that?” asked Phoebe.

“She ’ad a couple of dangly bits at the beginning, until that nutter decided to play Jack the Ripper on her.”

“I thought Jack the Ripper slashed women not boys.”

“I meant it was messy like one of them Whitechapel murders.”

“That is the Jack the Ripper stuff.”

“Didn’t he dissect them poor women?” Julie sought to confirm.

“Yes, pretty much. They still don’t know who it was except they started and stopped very suddenly. The latest theory I heard was that they were done to cover up one of the murders by creating this archetypal fiend who preyed on young women prostitutes. It’s very sad whatever reason he thought he had to go and kill all those poor women.”

“I don’t get why it’s so popular now, it was over a hundred years ago, f’ Pete’s sake. Even before Gramps was born.”

“Whit wis?” said the be-whiskered one.

“Jack the Ripper, Pheebs here, wondered if you knew him, like?”

“Whit? That wis a hundred yeers ago if not langer? Why wid I ken him?”

“It was a joke, Gramps,” said Julie blushing

“Weel I thocht it wis in very puir taste,” he huffed and took his tea down to his study.

“Why d’you involve me?” complained Phoebes and Julie and she went off arguing while Hannah rolled her eyes and smirked while I turned up the oven to make some the pork skin turn to crackling—a real tooth breaker.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
262 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I've made a lot of foods in my day,

and my mom loved to make home made jellies and jams, but I don't recall making home made apple sauce. The store bought was pretty good.

I have real hopes for Hanna. Some how I doubt her former Mom would recognize the person she is turning it to.

mushrooms

Maddy Bell's picture

With a roast dinner? Must be funny suthern ways I guess. Hope they get a slice of gravy to wet all those potatoes!


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

Mushrooms

As a New Englander and possibly part Hobbit I LOVE mushrooms with a roast dinner. Then again, I just LOVE mushrooms. Did I mention I might be part Hobbit? :)

Normal cooking

I think my Sister did Apple Sauce probably 60 years ago. It wasn't bad either. We made our own Jams and Jellies, perhaps that is where I got my taste for peach and apricot preserves.

Nice epi.

Gwen

It's Getting Close To Dinner

littlerocksilver's picture

This episode whetted my appetite. I'll help my significant other with dinner. I finished the prosecco that was left from last night (good cork) and will have to open another bottle. That should help.

Portia

The last roast dinner I did- .

was a 'five-bird-roast' from Aldi's for Chrissy din-dins. My flatmate ate it with relish (No not that sort of Relish!)
Otherwise it's normally summat simple in the micro or a stew or a fry-up.
Reading abaaht this food 'as made me 'ungry. I'd better go to bed before I eat more calories.

Still lovin' it.

bev_1.jpg

Somebody's a great cook, and only 32yrs old too

Apparently Cathy has never tasted Mott's natural apple sauce. Delish !
Poor Tom , asking If he knew Jack the Ripper, and if he did, It's Scotland Yard for him.

Cefin

I'm Shocked!!!

Christina H's picture

Everyone buying apple sauce!!!!!!!! As a Yorkshire Lass I make my own after all for the price of a jar of the stuff I can buy enough apples for sauce and an apple pie!
And if my storing of apples from the couple of Bramley tree's I have is successful it's free!!! (and so are the pies)

It's a myth that we Yorkshire folk are tight with money - we suffer from a rare genetic disorder 'short arm's and long pockets'

Christina

Funny ...

... as a young child I loved cooking apples raw. I think it was the shock of the sour taste that made me pull my cheeks in and pull a face yet was somehow seductive. Perhaps I liked torturing my taste buds :) Or perhaps it was because there was very little sweet stuff around during the war and I enjoyed he culinary adventure.

Didn't much like either pork, or apple sauce come to that, even when I did eat meat.

Robi

Blenheim Orange apple sauce.

Rhona McCloud's picture

I planted a non-dwarfed Blenheim Orange apple tree years ago and was pleased to hear that last season it was now full grown and is cropping heavily. That’s a lot of sauce.

Rhona McCloud

Pork Crackling, Mmmmm

almost the best part of having a pork roast for your dinner, Not sure it needs homemade apple sauce the shop bought variety is very good, But i guess if you have the time why not. Chicken Skin can get quite crispy too but imo runs a poor second to pork, But if i had too choose my favourite roast it would be neither of the two already mentioned , Step up a nice piece of roast beef .... Nothing for me beats the taste of succulent beef , especially when its not overcooked , Add in roast tatties and yorkshire pud and you have a meal made in heaven ..... Perfect !

Kirri