Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2845

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2845
by Angharad

Copyright© 2015 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
*****

“Ah, Lady Cameron, just the person said a familiar voice. I turned to face her hoping I didn’t flinch too much. “You look tired.”

“Had to do some teaching as well as my admin, got two staff off sick.”

“I still enjoy teaching when I have to do it, not that I do very much these days.”

“Yes, an hour and half each of evolution and taxonomy.”

“Which d’you prefer?”

“Well evolution sort of develops itself and taxonomy, well that’s classified.”

She looked at me for a moment before the penny dropped. She chuckled for a moment then added, “You’re too sophisticated for me. I prefer simple jokes like the Catholic priest and the rabbi...”

“I never tell jokes, I always get the punchline wrong if I remember it at all. So I do word plays and puns.”

“Some of which are too clever for a non scientist like me.”

“Those weren’t, surely?”

“No, well it took me a moment to remember that taxonomy was about classification.”

“Okay, I’d better find my girls and get them home.”

“Ah could I have a word about...?” She led me into her office. “Trish has been quoting Professor Pagels and Professor Ehrhard.” Oh dear, was it me or was the room getting hot? “She took Sister Virginia to task about the virgin birth asking why it was mentioned in some gospels and not others.”

“She’s a prolific reader.”

“Yes, but is she reading age appropriate material?”

“Well apart from the crucifixion and the virgin birth, there’s relatively little sex and violence in either of those authors—unless it’s what happened to some of the early Christians or what they did to others when they got the chance.”

“It was a long time ago, things are different today.”

“Not that different or the church wouldn’t oppose same sex marriage.”

“They follow the biblical tradition.”

“But the bible has been changed so many times.”

“It was divinely inspired.”

“Was it, or carefully edited to toe the official line?”

“I don’t know what you mean.”

“I’m sure you do because I suspect you know your bible and also would know that Paul sent women missionaries to represent him, yet in Acts he’s supposed to have suggested that women should remain silent and have babies or some such thing.”

“I’m sure he had his reasons.”

“Rubbish, he didn’t write Acts, somebody else did and used his name.”

“I’m sure the ancient fathers of the church had reasons for their selection.”

“Exactly, controlling women to the extent of virtually writing them out of the hierarchy and portraying what they wanted to of some poor Palestinian Jew who was killed for annoying the establishment, which he thought would be destroyed within a generation. He was wrong.”

“People misunderstand God’s sense of time.”

“Or change their interpretation when they appear to be wrong, to the extent that if viewed rationally it’s ludicrous.”

“To some. Anyway, back to Trish.”

“I thought we agreed my children wouldn’t have to do scripture.”

“They don’t but she and Livvie turn up every time and she either undermines the teacher or confuses them.”

“She is ten years old, how can that happen?”

“Some of our teachers are getting older and lose that cutting edge element of teaching. Trish has possibly the fastest mind in the school, she’s two steps ahead and lays traps for them, then walks them into her traps. They can’t cope with her.”

“You want me to remove her?”

“I hope that won’t be necessary but please have a word with her and she is barred from scripture lessons from now on. If she attends them again I’ll have no alternative but to punish her with detention.”

“I’ll give her the message.”

“Thank you. Look, I’m sorry that it’s come to this.”

“So am I, the others are doing quite well in the more academic subjects.”

“You don’t think study of the holy scriptures is academic?”

“Not from what you’re telling me. It looks like it’s devotional rather than objective or historical.”

“We give an introduction to the history of the New Testament.”

“I suspect Trish has done that herself and more fully than you are comfortable with, isn’t that the truth?”

“Sister Virginia has gone sick since her lesson with Trish, she has a broken heart and that ten year old has caused her to have a crisis of faith.”

“I’m sure she didn’t mean either of those things to happen; she just gets the bit between her teeth and off she goes. It happens at home sometimes.”

“But at least you are there to control her, you’re clever enough to stop her, alas Sister Virginia isn’t.”

“I’ll deal with it.”

“Thank you.”

The children mysteriously appeared moments later and I took them home. Once there I took Trish to my study and closed the door. “Why are you attending scripture classes?”

“I enjoy them.”

“I don’t believe you, you said the nun who taught them was so ill informed you often had to put her right.”

Trish went rather red. “I didn’t—not always.”

“Did you know that Sister Virginia has gone sick after your humiliation of her this morning and she’s also having a crisis of faith.”

“Good, not that she’s ill, but maybe she’ll think about what she teaches in future.”

“What if she has a stroke and dies? Will you feel so superior then?”

“She won’t will she?”

“I have no idea. You are banned from scripture classes from now on, go to the library instead.”

“But I was likely to get a good GCSE in it.”

“You can study it by yourself if you want to do it that much.”

“Won’t be so much fun.”

“Without humiliating the nuns you mean?”

“Uh,” she grinned and blushed a deep crimson.

“But they talk such crap.”

“They might, but they’re still your teachers and as such should be treated with respect.”

“I’d respect them if they knew what they were doing.”

“Perhaps they say the same about you.”

“Eh?”

“Knowledge isn’t wisdom.”

“It is.”

“No it isn’t. Knowledge is simply being aware of a set of facts. Wisdom comes from understanding the context of the facts, of that knowledge and knowing how to interpret or evaluate or apply those facts.”

“What about the Gnostics—they knew, that’s what it means, they knew.”

“I’m well aware of what it means.”

“Weren’t they wise as well?”

“Not necessarily. What they termed knowledge was having had a profound experience and being able to use that to further their understanding, except that it doesn’t. Profound experiences can show insight but they can also spoil things for later when the desire is more about repeating the experience than applying the knowledge.”

“I don’t understand the difference.”

“Now you’re showing a degree of knowing.”

“I am?”

“Yes, the limitations of your knowledge. It’s the foundation of wisdom.”

“Oh great.”

“Before you do your homework tonight you will write a draft of a letter to Sister Virginia apologising for making her ill and hoping she is better soon.”

“Can’t I just stop going to her classes?”

“You aren’t going back to her classes but you’re still going to write that letter of apology and if it isn’t good enough you’ll keep writing them until it is good enough. Off you go.”

She rose from the chair. “I didn’t mean to make her ill, it was just a bit of fun to lighten up the lesson.”

“Go and write that letter, let me see the draft before you write it properly.”

She slunk off looking very sorry for herself. It wasn’t what she did that annoyed me it was how she did it. She could have shown her knowledge more gently not brutally like she did. She has to learn how to balance her huge intellect with compassion. I hope I’m up to helping her.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
245 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thank you,Angharad,

I do feel that Trish needs a good kick in her fundamental orifice as that is where her brain seems to be sometimes.Thanks for continuing Bike.

ALISON

I agree with Trish, but...

Julia Miller's picture

She is smart enough to know anything written in the bible is fiction and probably didn't happen. But she should have the sense to realize that some people actually believe the bible, and they take comfort in it. I don't believe there actually was a Jesus, I think it was just a legend that was rewritten to make it look like he had actually existed. (Paul believed that Jesus was an angel that battled against Satan, and was killed, but God was impressed and resurrected him.) But I won't criticize anyone who believes in Christianity unless they come after me for being transgender. Then the gloves are off.

Trish Has So Much To Learn

littlerocksilver's picture

... and Cathy will be the one to guide her. Yes, Trish needs wisdom, as do we all. I love the little girl to bits, and I'll be so happy when her judgment catches up to her intellect.

Portia

Trish

Maddy Bell's picture

Does have a knack for bullying, sometimes her siblings but teachers and other adults too. I can't help but think it will get her into some deep poo at some point!


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

An interesting problem,

Seems Trish was steered to someone who could both contain her and teach her. Wisdom may come, but first you have to get through the arrogance. And she hasn't hit the teen years yet. OUCH!

Trish reminds me ...

... of someone I interviewed as a potential undergraduate trainee. He was so full of himself and his undoubted intellect that he showed a dreadful attitude that would have cause huge problems had we appointed him. However, I don't think he would have lasted long on the shop floor. Skilled engineering workers have methods of taking people like him down a peg or three.

Despite Trish's super intelligence she will need to learn humility because people she may work with in the future really will know their stuff unlike poor Sister Vagina. With Cathy's help she probably will.

Why am I treating Trish as if she was more than a figment of Angharad's fevered imagination? *rolls eyes * :)

Robi

Trish takes after a Simon

Rhona McCloud's picture

It's perfectly clear that inheritence in this case is by osmosis with neither Trish or Simon aware of how their fun is not a shared joke. It would be interesting to see Trish take on Simon arguing over capitalism but I'm not sure the banks and stock exchanges could cope with the fallout.

Rhona McCloud

Hoping Cathy has gotten a start on the lesson on

knowledge vs wisdom. That is going to be a really hard one to get through to Trish. She's rightfully proud of her knowledge and likes to show it. Wisdom and compassion are another issue. (but I secretly applaud her for showing the set-in-her ways old nun that there are huge holes in the trash she's misrepresenting as truth to the kids)

Trish needs to take a lesson from Spiderman......

D. Eden's picture

"With great power comes great responsibility."

Knowledge is a tool, just like a weapon is a tool. Just like a weapon, what matters is how you use the knowledge. As the saying goes, guns don't kill people - people kill people.

The same is true of knowledge. It wasn't Trish's knowledge that hurt Sister Virginia, it was how she used that knowledge that caused the harm. As Cathy stated, all knowledge must be tempered with Wisdom.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

What the?

Trish! Even mental giants need to learn to coexist with us muggles. Had a strangely similar lesson as Trish today. Was sitting in a Woman's class today and she was dribbling the most outrageous poppycock about having to believe a certain thing to get to heaven. I decided not to confront her because the poor woman might need that belief.

I've known some very bright people with the social skills of a slug. In my reading for psych class, I found that there are some very high funtioning Asperger's folk like that. The prof. said that in big companies, these people are put in quiet corners and allowed to do their thing.

Bought that book.

Trish is a bully

Even though Trish is 10yrs old, I'm sure she can run mental circles around the nuns
. And I'm sure she doses it in an insulting way.

Cefin

Trish is a Child

Christina H's picture

She may be an extremely bright child but that is what she is AND in case people forget children are cruel most without meaning to be
and I think this is what Angharad is pointing out.
Cathy is teaching Trish a valuable lesson about knowledge and wisdom and if Trish heeds it she will be a more rounded individual.

And why are we treating Trish and Cathy as 'real' people when they are characters in an excellent story - it is because we all know someone like them and there is a little bit of them in each of us.

Oh and the fact that the author makes such an excellent job of making us empathise with them.

Christina

I really have anjoyed this chapter.

I only wish I had more time to relax and read. These days however I devote my energies to practicalities and helping younger tee-people make some sort of start. One of the bigger problems is that schools still seem to be one of the last places where transgender rights are truly recognised and enforced. Offering them practical help like safe accommodation in 'safer' neighbourhoods can go a long way to repairing the retardations that may have affected their developments during those critical early teens. I now have one kid who has worked continuously the last three years as a school cleaner but is now seriously looking at resitting her and hopefully repairing her disastrous exam results from high school. The kid isn't stupid just wounded. She will be living with me and another tee-girl aged forty in an apartment in a city in Southern England. Kids need a lot of protection and support if they are to recover from the damages that tee-people often endure in early years.
Still lovin it Ang.

PS If there are long intervals between my comments, it's because I'm living in two and soon to be three different places.

x

Bev.

bev_1.jpg

Cathy is caught a little

here , Whilst she quite understandably wants the best education for her daughters, It must be difficult for her to accept them being taught things she quite clearly does not accept herself .... Perhaps she needs to ensure none of her daughters have to attend the class that Trish is barred from... In Cathys view they would not be missing much ...

Kirri