The Might-Have-Been Girl Chapter 24

Printer-friendly version
Teen blonde-hair.jpg
The Might-Have-Been Girl

A novel by Bronwen Welsh


Copyright 2016
 



I thought I was getting a new job, but it turned out to be a whole new life


Chapter 24   Mum

I picked up the phone and said “Emma? What's wrong?” Emma sounded like she had been crying.

“It's Mum, Sis. She's in hospital with pneumonia and she's very ill.”

A cold shudder ran through my body. “When I spoke to her a couple of days ago, she said she had a bad cold, but nothing worse than that.”

“I know,” said Emma. “You know what she's like – 'soldiering on'. She didn't seem too bad when I went to the theatre yesterday afternoon, but when I came home, she was in bed, running a temperature and really sick. I called a locum doctor who came quite quickly, thank goodness. He checked her out and said she had pneumonia and he rang for an ambulance to take her to the local hospital. That's where I'm calling from now. She's on a drip with intravenous antibiotics but she's still really sick and now she's delirious. Harriet, I'm really afraid for her.”

“Oh Emma, why didn't you ring me last night?” I felt myself close to tears.

“Mum told me not to. She was lucid then, and she said she'd only worry if you were running around at night trying to get here. Can you come up today – please?”

“I'm sure I can,” I replied. “I'll ring Mark our director. I've got an understudy who's been itching to play the role. I've been coaching her and I'm sure she'll be alright, not that that matters. This is an emergency.”

“Alright. I'll be at the hospital if you come straight here.”

Emma hadn't said as much, but of course she was supposed to perform in the evening, and unlike me she didn't have an understudy. I quickly told Louise what had happened and then rang Mark. He was very understanding and told me to go to Bridchester immediately and not to worry about the play. He was sure that after my coaching Elspeth would perform the role very well.

Louise told me to go upstairs and pack and she would make me some breakfast.

“I don't feel like eating,” I said, but she replied that I must have something before getting on the train, so I didn't argue, but ran upstairs and quickly packed some clothes. When I came down again, breakfast was on the table and Louise told me that her husband Bob would drive me to the station.

“You've all been so kind,” I said, tears starting in my eyes.

“Nonsense,” she replied. “This is an emergency and we must all do what we can, both for you and your mum.”

As Bob drove me to Kings Cross station, I phoned Reggie to tell him what was happening. Bless him he immediately offered to drive me to Brid, but I told him I was taking the train, and that I would keep him posted. It all seemed like a nightmare and I was wishing I could wake up and find that I was imagining it.

I booked my ticket and the train was due to leave at eight-fifty. When I reached my seat, there was a middle-aged couple sitting opposite me and the man immediately offered to put my suitcase in the luggage rack. Chivalry is not yet dead! I couldn't help thinking that if I had presented as a young man, he wouldn't have offered. There are many advantages in being a young woman.

The train left a few minutes later and for a while I watched the passing scenery. I enjoy travelling by train; it always puts me in mind of lines from the poem 'Travel' by Edna St Vincent Millay;

My heart is warm with the friends I make,
And better friends I'll not be knowing;
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,
No matter where it's going.

After a while I took out my copy of 'Hamlet' which I had decided to read right through to get a better idea of Ophelia's relationship with the other characters. I studied it for a while and then thanks to the gentle rocking of the train I drifted off to sleep.

When I awoke and looked at my watch over an hour had passed. The couple opposite had disappeared and I confess my first instinct was to look for my suitcase, but it was still in the luggage rack. It's sad that we have become so suspicious of people. A couple of minutes later they arrived back and took their seats.

“Hello again,” said the woman. “We didn't want to disturb you, You must be very tired.”

“I do work late into the night,” I said. “And I had to get up earlier than usual this morning. My mum is sick and I'm going to see her.”

“Oh dear,” said the woman. “Nothing too bad I hope?”

“Yes it is. My sister rang to say Mum's got pneumonia and she's in hospital. She's a widow; there's only my sister with her and she is due to be on stage this evening. I know that sounds strange but she doesn't have an understudy and the rest of the cast depend on her to be there. I would have come up anyway of course.”

“We were wondering why you were reading 'Hamlet',” said the man. “Are you on the stage too?”

I blushed. “Yes I am.”

“My name's Jim Franklin and this is my wife Esther.”

“I'm please to meet you. I'm Harriet Stow.”

“Harriet Stow?” said Esther. “That name sounds familiar.”

“You're probably thinking of the American author Harriet Beecher Stowe who wrote 'Uncle Tom's Cabin',” I said for what felt like the thousandth time.

“No, I don't think so. Our daughter who lives in London is a teacher, and she recently took her class to see a play, 'Dear, Dear...'?”

“Dear Brutus,” I prompted her. “Yes, that's the play I'm in. My understudy is taking over while I'm away.”

“Yes, that's it. I remember thinking it was a rather strange name for a play.”

“It comes from a line in Shakespeare's 'Julius Caesar” 'The fault dear Brutus is not in our stars but in ourselves',” I responded.

“I see. Well she told us there was a young lady in the cast who was very good, and it seems we are speaking to her. Just wait until I tell her we've met you.”

'Oh goodness,' I thought. 'Here we go again. Please don't ask me for an autograph.' And I knew that once more my face resembled a lobster.

“May I ask why you are reading 'Hamlet'?” asked Jim.

“Yes, I've been given the position of understudy for Ophelia in a new production.”

“In London?”

“Err no, it's in Stratford.”

“The Imperial Shakespeare Company? That's quite a coup young lady.”

“Yes it is. I've been very fortunate.” I responded.

“I think you're being very modest my dear. May I ask who's starring in it?” said Mrs Franklin.

“Well David Lodge is playing Hamlet and Dame Emily Good is Queen Gertrude.”

“My goodness,” said Mrs Franklin. “Have you met them?”

“Well David was at the audition. That was rather scary, but he was actually very pleasant. I've actually met Dame Emily a couple of times, and she is one of the nicest people you could hope to meet.”

Both the Franklins looked very impressed.

“Well I hope you get a chance to perform with them,” said Mrs Franklin.

I smiled. “Well I hope so too, but that means that Phoebe Wells who has the role will have to get sick or have an accident, and I can't wish that on her.”

I was very grateful to the Franklins because they distracted me from worrying about Mum for a while. They were going to Edinburgh to see their other daughter who had just given birth to their first grandchild. I had to get off the train at York to take another service to Bridchester, so as we pulled in, Mr Franklin kindly took down my suitcase from the luggage rack, and we made our farewells. They promised to keep an eye out for me in future plays, and said they might try to see the production of Hamlet even though they knew it was unlikely they'd see me on stage.

“I imagine your name will be in the programme,” said Jim Franklin. I'd never even thought of that – my name in the same program as those famous names! Something to add to Mum's collection; and that of course immediately made me think of Mum again and I felt like crying.

“I'm sorry,” said Jim, seeing the look on my face, “Here I am waffling away and you are worrying about your mother.”

“No, it's fine,” I assured him. “You've actually distracted me a bit from thinking about her. Otherwise this trip would seem like an eternity.”

The train came to a halt and I bade them farewell, and stepped out onto the platform.

The train to Bridchester wasn't due for forty minutes, and as I sat waiting on the platform, my phone rang. It was Emma, and she sounded very distressed.

“Sis, I'm ringing to see where you are. I have to turn off my phone in the hospital so you can't reach me there.”

“I'm at York, Sis. The train is due in forty minutes. I should be there in a couple of hours at most.”

“Can you take a taxi instead? I'll pay, I don't care about the money. Mum is so sick, I'm really frightened,” she said, her voice breaking up with sobs.

“Of course,” I replied. I was frightened now too. “I didn't know she was that bad.”

“She's delirious still. I can't make out what's she's saying but I think she's asking for you.”

“Alright Em, you go back to her, tell her I'm coming and I'll go and find a taxi,” I said, and grabbing my suitcase I hurried out of the station. Fortunately there was a taxi rank outside. I ran up to the first one and spoke to the driver.

“Can you take me to Bridchester?”

“Bridchester? That's about forty miles. It'll cost you a bit lass,” he replied.

“I don't care,” I replied, tears starting to run down my cheeks. “I've got to see my mother. She's in hospital there and my sister thinks she's dying.” I nearly choked on the last word.

The driver immediately looked serious. “Of course I can take you. Hop in and I'll put your suitcase in the boot.”

I got into the taxi and in few minutes we were on the A166.

“I'm Peter,” said the driver. “It's going to take us about an hour to get there because there's no motorway.” He paused. “I could try and get us a police escort if you like?”

“I thought they were just for emergencies,” I replied, dabbing at my eyes.

”Well, isn't this one?” Peter said. “Look I know a lot of the guys in the local highway patrol. This is strictly between you and me, but why don't I see if they've got a car free?”

With that he started speaking into his radio handset, and after a few exchanges with the voice at the other end, he said 'Bingo! They'll meet us at Stamford Bridge.”

Peter stuck to the legal limit of sixty miles per hour up to the rendezvous point and then a car zoomed up behind us with red and blue lights flashing. It overtook us and immediately increased speed, as did Peter. It's amazing what having a police escort does. Cars up ahead pulled over to let us pass and we were now doing nearly eighty miles per hour. We had to slow when we drove through towns of course but quickly speeded up. I think Peter was enjoying himself. He did have time to ask me what had happened and I explained I was working in London and had come up to York by train but my sister sounded so worried I decided on a taxi instead of waiting for the train to Bridchester. As we sped through the countryside my phone rang again. I saw it was Emma and was almost too afraid to answer it.

“Sis, it's Emma. I'm just checking where you are. What's that siren?”

“I'm in the taxi and I've got a police escort Em, but don't tell anyone. Peter the driver says we should be there in twenty minutes. How's Mum?”

“About the same. I told her you're coming and it seemed to settle her a bit. She's in Intensive Care now. I'll wait for you at the main entrance to the hospital.”

I sank back in my seat in relief. At least Mum was no worse.

In fifteen minutes we were pulling into the driveway of Bridchester Hospital. The whole trip had taken just under forty minutes. I paid Peter by card and gave him a generous tip in cash which he didn't want to take at first but I insisted. As I got out of the cab I saw my police escort. The driver waved and I waved back, but they drove away before I had a chance to thank them.

As I took my suitcase from Peter I said “Thank you so much and please thank the police for me too. You've all been brilliant.”

Then I saw Emma hurrying towards me. We hugged briefly and she said “Come on, I'll take you to the ICU.”

She almost ran me to the lift and we travelled to the first floor and then down the corridor to the Intensive Care Unit and through the swinging plastic doors. As we did so I heard an announcement on the overhead speakers “Code Blue Intensive Care”. My heart thumped. It sounded like an emergency, but who was the patient?


To be continued

I would like to acknowledge the assistance of Louise Anne in proofreading the text and giving me a great deal of useful advice about modern-day Britain to incorporate in the story.

up
307 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Time for disaster

I'm so glad I read this 10min after posting, for the biggest cliff hanger of all ! You are getting sneaky Bron !
What a great chapter ! Poor Harriet, that cab fare must have cost a week's pay.
Some other Welsh woman might kill off mom, but not you ?
I had pneumonia once, I could hear horns playing, but thanks to Mr Fleming, and bread mold, here I am.
Let's hope the result is the same for Harriet's mother.

Cefin

cliff hanger

Have you been taking lessons from snow and wolf?
Please stop.....lol

Re: cliff hanger

I agree, richbaby; Bronwen seems to be taking lessons on creating cliffhangers from some of the masters here. This one seems to me to be more along the lines of our resident mistress of the epic tale, Angharad! This ending borders on being a form of cruel and unusual punishment! To make us wait a week to find out what happens next is sheer torture! ;-)

Jenny

Oh my goodness...

There are cliff hangers, and then there is the gaping chasm you pushed us all off into =]
Love the story and wow poor Emma and Harriet!

Pneumonia is scary ass stuff!! Last year I had pneumonia it was awful my heart rate was so high when I was admitted they rather freaked and said I was in tachycardia and threatened to drag me off to the ICU, how was I supposed to know that a 220BPM at rest was a bad thing! Regardless needless to say I WAS dragged off to the ICU, was given oxygen with a breathing treatment, when after 15 minutes of no change they gave me enough morphine to make me giggle like a punch drunk 6 year old for hours. All I recall is people kept bringing me Capri Sun drinks and asked about my cotton candy colored bracelets lol (pink and frost blue intertwined) and if i could make them...it was so surreal lol =]

My family said that was the longest 7 hours of their life, I don't remember much but apparently at one point I was singing nursery rhymes and Let It Go, to myself and then some guy across the hallway decided to try and have a duet with me, the Charge nurse was apparently laughing her butt off said it made her day to this big biker looking guy trying and sing Let It Go with someone half his size and high as a kite =]

I hope she made it in time!

I hope she made it in time! Poor Harriet doesn't deserve this to happen to her on the cusp of achieving her ambitions and greatness.

Reggie shows his greatness, and Louise and her family earn a place of honor for their help.

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

Bronwen!!

Christina H's picture

I had a nasty feeling it was her mum, I really hope she pulls through as both the girls don't really need this. But you are in charge of that.

Great story though and the taxi fare from York to Bridchester (which I have a feeling is on the coast between Filey and Scarborough - but I could be wrong) is quite exorbitant and as the taxi driver said the roads are rubbish.

Can't wait for the next instalment and I hope it's a happy one as I was a bit weepy with this good to know that all Harriets friends are rallying round and Reggie is definitely a keeper.

Christina

One of the things

you learn as you go through life is never to take anything for granted, When you are young you think your parents will always be there for you whenever needed. Sometimes its a case of not appreciating what you have , Thankfully in Harriet and Emma's situation that is very much not the case , All they can both do is hope that their mum will pull through , If the power of love can in any way help then it is very much a given that their beloved mother will do just that.

Great storytelling Bronwen , i love how you always fill your stories with characters you can belive in , Because of that we the readers get really involved with the storylines, Thats why i hope (along with many others )Mum pulls through , I for one would love to see (if it happens) Harriets mother to be there watching her daughter play her role in Hamlet....

Kirri

Sometimes It Goes The Other Way

joannebarbarella's picture

I was called to my mother's bedside and told it was extremely urgent....and it was. She died five minutes after I arrived and I swear to this day that she just held on to life until I got there and she heard my voice and I held her hand.

I do hope that this won't happen in Harriet's case.

Regardless, the story needed some drama as everything was going so well...too well maybe. Great stuff, Bronwen.

I wonder if...

.. there exists a most evil cliffhanger of the year award.

Hugs,

Kimby

Thank you Bronwen,

Your story just gets better and better .Pnuemonia is a killer for us older people ,something to be avoided at all costs .Bronwen, your so called cliff hangers are part of the story for me and you are telling your story in your own inimitable way, looking forward to more.

ALISON

If this is the girls Mum, I

If this is the girls Mum, I do hope the nursing staff and doctors will be able to bring her back, they both need her in their lives.
Pneumonia is definitely not something to ignore, as it can and many times will kill you.
In 72, I got out of bed as my wife came back from working her midnight shift at the local hospital (she was a nurse).
I was told later by her that I took about 4 steps and collapsed and I woke up in the ICU, where I stayed for a week and a half.
My doctor told me his best estimate was I was within probably about an hour from dying.
He then said to have it so bad, I must have had pneumonia previously and I said "not that I was aware of".
Found out years later after I was given a full copy of my military medical records; that during my service career,
I had been diagnosed with it 7 different times, but never treated for it. One time was when our oldest son was a brand new baby we had just brought home.
When I showed this to the doctor, he told me, you could have killed him because of your illness.
That just make you feel all warn and fuzzy all over--NOT.
I do love the service (some times).

Pneumonia

Podracer's picture

I heard it described as "the old man's friend" meaning, I suppose, that there are worse ways to go. An older friend who had it - and survived - wasn't impressed with the experience.
Emma sounds really scared, it's good that she isn't facing this alone. Good for you guys for getting Harriet there quickly and safely, time could well have been of the essence.
We had to cancel a microcar event starting at Stamford Bridge 2 weeks ago, due to a surplus of water..
I was in Lloyd's as a kid with some mystery ailment, though it has probably changed in the intervening 50 years it may resemble our fictional setting a little.

"Reach for the sun."

Bummer

Jamie Lee's picture

A code blue and the chapter ends. Oy very, talk about keep us in suspense. I do hope the code wasn't Harriet's mom.

Harriet was very kind talking to Anthony then his mom. It was very good her initial conversation with Anthony broke the ice towards his possible new life.

Both mom and dad supporting his choice, while helping calm his initial fears, goes a long way in allowing him the freedom to explore his feelings.

This story is one of several I look for each time I'm here. Especially now because mom is sic.

Others have feelings too.

Trains

TheCropredyKid's picture

Boy, that poem is me - i love trains and i love traveling. There's a fantasy story - "That Hellbound Train" by Robert Bloch {https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/That_Hell-Bound_Train (link is external)}, a deal-with-the Devil story about a guy who feels that way; it won a Hugo Award for Best
Short Story in 1959. Well worth reading if you like fantasy and clever plot twists. (Bloch wrote the original novel of "Psycho")

Hope Mum makes it. My mother used to wind up with pneumonia almost every year - my family had a small ad agency, and she was the copywriter, producer, etc, and she WOULD not slow down when she began getting sick in winter and ...

 
 
 
x

Is 4th Time the Charm?

waif's picture

This is the 4th time you have made me cry while reading your wonderful novel.

Be kind to those who are unkind, tolerant toward those who treat you with intolerance, loving to those who withhold their love, and always smile through the pains of life.