Shadow of the Heart Chapter 10

Printer-friendly version


Shadows of the Heart

Chapter 10

Lost in Suburbia!

This sucked! All went well till the end damn it. I am sure the alarm has gone out so I need to find a way back to Wind Haven Fast! Sunrise was here and I needed to be gone. I then had a idea. There was a greenhouse two houses down I can work with that. I kept to the shadows till I got to the yard with the greenhouse. Most of the glass was broken but after searching I found a full unbroken one. This idea is risky so I was reluctant to use it. If it was not for morning coming I would not try such a stunt. First I used a reshape spell and combined the glass with a sheet of metal. I used a polish spell to create a Mirror surface. It was not the best but it looked like it would work. I opened the portal and stepped through sending a shatter spell behind me.

I was not in Wind Haven I was sure of that. I came out of a frosted over fountain in a park. Well Damn this is not good! I was exhausted so I did not have the magic to open another portal for hours! The portal shattered the frost I came through so I could not build it up to put another portal there. What am I going to do? I need a plan to survive the next few hours. I need to eat and sleep to replenish my magic or things will just get harder! I moved to the shelter of the trees and found a big one. I climbed it and found a place where I would not be seen from the ground and settled down for a nap. First I pulled out the two power bars I always carry and consumed them. That would not be much but it was all I had.

________________________________________________________________________

Back in Wind Haven

Dan paced the mirror room like a grumpy bear. Lily sat in a corner ready to do whatever was needed. A few doors down Sera worked quickly checking all her spy bugs hoping and praying she would find nothing. Without knowing where Amber was there was nothing they could do.

In another room Grandmother tried a very dangerous spell to locate Amber. Using most of her strength she called upon the blood connection they had to seek the lost one. This type of magic was hard when the two were on the same world, when they are not it is a thousand times harder! She sent the seeking hoping the Tangents will not detect and follow the magic right to Amber.

_______________________________________________________________________

In the oak tree Amber stirred the touch of magic bringing her awake and alert. It was dusk so she should get going. She beleived she had the magic now to cast the ice mirror spell as well as opening the portal. Hopefully she was right in this because she could feel many minds searching for her. She moved from tree to tree till she could see the fountain as well as the area around it. No one around but why take chances she would cast the Ice Mirror spell from here.

Amber centered herself and cast the spell. It would take 1/4 hour to get the ice large and thick enough from here. She could not move or the spell would break as well as the ice. She sat still waiting as long as she dared. Damn the minds are getting closer! She needed 30 seconds to open the portal so she would have to hurry. The Ice will only be stable for a few moments so she will have to run. This will be a race ageist the clock!

The time went by very slowly. The seeking minds knew I was in the park now. Soon I would be surrounded by those agents. Damn Tangents are making me move faster than is safe! Times up here goes nothing. I dropped out of the tree and ran flat out to the fountain. The mirror was just big enough. I prayed and cast the portal. Slowly it opened and I jumped in as the first blast hit the fountain. I cast the shatter spell even as I past through the portal.

I tumbled into a fighting stance ready to be somewhere other than Wind Haven. I looked around, sighed and relaxed. Dan strode over to me and gave me a big hug. Lily was right behind him. I was home!

I quickly got caught up with what had been going on. Carol was waiting for our prisoner to wake up so she could have a few words with him. Grandmother put a spell to bind his magic for a bit so it should be safe. Where was Grandmother anyways? She should be here to meet me. I checked on Sera to see how close the Tangents were to coming together.

Sera smiled "This abduction has really messed them up. The infighting is getting real bad. The fact their computers are showing only cartoons now is not helping. No one seems to be in charge now at all." I smiled at this.

I grinned "Keep up the good work." I walked out of her room chuckling all the way to Grandmothers room. I knocked without getting an answer. I felt something was wrong so I opened the door to see Grandmother on the bed not moving. I rushed to her side checking her pulse. I could barely feel a beat. I was beside myself with worry. What could have happened to her? I held my hand over her heart to get a reading on her magic and life force, both were very low Dangerously low! I did not know what to do. She had not taught me what to do in this sort situation. This was very bad!

I called the others together to brainstorm a plan of action. I looked at the books she had in her room thinking maybe one of them had the answer but what one? What did not help is Grandmother did not help is she did not label the books. I grabbed the first on the shelf opening it and searched to find what kind of spells were in it. This was going to take awhile! I got lucky on the third book finding it was a medical book. I skimmed it stopping at the symptoms the each spell was designed to help. None seemed of them seemed to help. I tried the next book. It was also medical in type. After skimming this book I came upon a spell that might help. I was too weak right now to cast it but with Lily and Sera I just may be able to cast the spell.

I gathered them in a circle around Grandmother praying this would help. We joined hands and cast the spell. The spell boosted Grandmothers magic and life force above the danger level, if just barely. At this level her own body should be able to recover by itself. I was drooping and almost fell when I let go of Lily's and Sera's hands. Dan was there to pick me up and carry me to bed to recover. I had really been spreading myself quite thin this last week. I was asleep in Dan's arms on the way to my room.

I don't know how long I slept but it must have been for a long time. I had trouble waking up when my hunger woke me. I knew at once that something was different. It took me a moment to see that the difference was that I was not alone in bed. I was dressed in my favorite nightgown so someone had dressed me while I was asleep. I looked over in the dim light I could make out a form in the bed with me. A form I knew well. Well Dan and I finally slept together. Too bad the only thing I was fit for was sleep. My belly growled telling me it was time to eat! I put on my big old fluffy robe and went off to raid the kitchen.

After pigging out in the kitchen I went to look in on Grandmother. As I came in her room I noted that Sera was in the corner with her ever present laptop tapping away. I checked Grandmother who was recovering slowly but steadily. I smiled she was a tough old bird. I smiled when Sera looked up "She is doing fine I am going back to bed." She nodded then went back to tapping. I walked back to my room and dropped the robe and slipped into bed.

Dan said "Everything all right?" Opening his arms to me.

I smiled and cuddled up to him "Just fine." Soon I was in a deep contented sleep. I woke in the morning still snuggled up with Dan. I stayed in bed as long as I could before natures call got too strong. When I got back Dan was sitting up stretching. He smiled at me. I smiled back "I guess we should get our day started, what do you have to do today?" For some reason the look he gave me made me blush. I laughed "Stop that!"

Dan turned it down a notch "Yes my lovely Countess." Well he certainly knows what to say to get a girl going. I was about to crawl back into bed with him when a knock came at the door. I grabbed my robe and turned to see who was at the door. Lily again she sure has rotten timing or is trying to keep Dan and I from getting together. No it could not be that.

I smiled at her "What do you need Lily?"

She smiled back "Our guest are asking questions and we think you are the most logical person to answer them. Great Aunt Eve is still out of it so we thought you should as the Countess be in charge."

I chuckled "I will be down as soon as I am dressed. Tell our guests I will be glad to talk to them over breakfast. Please see that it is ready in an hour. I think it is going to be a grand day don't you?" She smiled and nodded before walking off to see that things were done.

I decided if they wanted the Countess that is exactly who they would get. I upgraded my look from my normal easygoing girl to the formal Countess look. It took longer but I am sure it will be worth it. Full makeup and my best skirt and blouse made me look a little older. I was creating a persona The Countess. I could be quite the actress when there was need. Light earrings were the only jewelry I needed most of the time this time I pulled them all out. Totally not me but the Countess yes that was her style. Dan watched me from the bed drinking in the transformation. He did not say a word just watched and smiled.

At the requested time I glided into the great hall full of confidence and knowing I would be the center of attention. I took my place at the head of the table ready to do what must be done. Everyone was there but Sera and Grandmother. It could be quite intimidating if I was not in Countess mode. The second I was seated breakfast started.

To say I was grilled by our guests would be putting it lightly. By the time I was sipping my tea at the end of the meal we had covered Who and what we were and what we were trying to accomplish in Wind Haven. I think I carried it off well and did myself proud. Dan Watched me the whole time ready to jump in to help out if needed, it wasn't. All an all I think I pulled it off real well. Everyone seemed to be satisfied and no fights so I call it a win.

To be continued

as always all life giving comments are welcome and loved.

up
132 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

nice!

Alecia Snowfall's picture

Nice! Take charge girl!

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Lucky

I did not aware of the time needed for the mirror spell was that long. She was lucky to came back home safely.
kudos. :)