Spark - 03 - We're in this

Printer-friendly version
Spark
by
Stardraigh

We're in this

SALAMANDER, n. Originally a reptile inhabiting fire; later, an anthropomorphous immortal, but still a pyrophile. Salamanders are now believed to be extinct, the last one of which we have an account having been seen in Carcassonne by the Abbe Belloc, who exorcised it with a bucket of holy water.
~ The Devil's Dictionary, Ambrose Bierce



The four of us walked well into the next day. I'm seventy five percent sure I should be dead tired after almost twenty four hours of being awake combined with the stress of escape, and a lot of walking. I think that Juliva and Sah'rona did something to cheat exhaustion. It seems magic is kind of handy. I just hope I don't get cancer or find I have a cost to pay later.

Larathia was in the lead guiding us to wherever we were going. All I could tell was that we were going north. A few times Sah'rona and Juliva provided food. Sah'rona's was a bland trail ration, hardly palatable. Juliva’s contribution were blackberries and a few mushrooms.

I still don’t know who was trying to get me other than a few monsters. The police didn't seem to be in on the search, or if they were, no one had thought to send a helicopter out at night to find us. Each time we came across property, we skirted around, skulking in the shadows to remain unseen. We only crossed roads when no cars were in sight.

None of us spoke much. I had questions, but I felt the three women seemed upset. It might have been at me, or at the situation. I couldn't tell and didn't want to push my luck which seemed in short supply of late.

We finally reached a town that had a freeway running through it.

Larathia stopped us so we could observe for a bit.

"I know where we're at," I gave the tidbit of information.

No one said anything until Juliva said, "We steal another car and head straight for the portal."

"No, we'll just draw more attention to ourselves.” I wasn’t going to let a repeat of our previous escape happen again. “Someone will file a police report. Where do we need to go? Come on, tell me. I've lived in this world longer than you have, so tell me and I'll tell you what will work."

The three girls looked at each other then turned to face me. "It's a city this world calls Detroit."

"Really, Detroit.” The place was always in the news as being one of the worst places in the country to live. I did the math in my head. We were in the middle of Ohio. It's going to take us days to walk at our rate, but we'd prefer to get there as fast as possible. With a car, I think it will take about four hours. Walking will take probably a week and a half if we push ourselves. “We could just rent a car and drive. There’s a rental place up that street.” I pointed into town. Renting might cause a problem but I'm sure with your magic, we can make something work. Also by the time someone tracks us, we’ll be long gone through the portal."

"Stealing would be quicker," Juliva stated.

"And also not a nice thing. If we rent, we don’t involve anything more than a faceless company.” I quickly said. “We're not stealing anything if we don't have to, or we're going to steal something not missed. It's the evening. Most rental places aren't even open this late. We need a place to stay the night."

"That will draw attention to us. We can't afford to draw attention to ourselves like you said." Juliva quipped back.

"Oh don't worry about that. There's a motel down by the freeway. No one will think twice about us there if we play it right."

“What do you mean play it right?”

I put a big grin on my face. “Well you see, Larathia and I will need to go in first,” Larathia already didn’t seem pleased, “arm in arm.”

***

“Why did I have to leave my sword behind?” Larathia grumbled as we approached the entrance to the motel. I had her hand in mine, although I could tell she was reluctant, ready to pull away at a moment's notice.

“Because it’s illegal to open carry a blade that large, and would draw attention even in a place like this. You still have how many weapons secreted on you?” I squeezed her hand tighter. “Now smile my dear. Just follow my lead.”

We entered the front room of the motel and approached the front desk. The air conditioner's cool air felt wonderful.

There was a young man behind the counter. Probably working nights to get through college. His attention was on his cell phone. He didn’t even look up, and asked, “How many hours?”

I did the math. It’s 8:00pm, probably leave early but maybe not. Twelve hours just in case. “Twelve Hours.”

He looked up, curious at the length of time I specified, “You’re one of Stavros’ new girls.” he asked?

Larathia didn’t respond. I squeezed her hand.

“Yeah.”

“I didn’t know he was having you girls offer the dungeons and dragons thing. Come payday I might make a visit. That will be 180$.”

I’d put what cash I had in my pocket before we got here. Digging it out, I counted out the money and handed it over. He counted it and put it in a lock box. Then grabbed a key and put it on the counter before going back to his cell phone.

I grabbed the key and pulled Larathia behind me. Room 28. 2nd floor. We went up and entered the room. It looked exactly like the other rooms I’d rented when I was here the last time.

Larathia inspected the room, looking for any others who might ambush us. She asked, “How do you know this place?”

I reached up and tapped my collar. “When you're lonely and no one wants anything to do with you, you find a way to have a little fun every so often. Societal outcast due to hard to control powers I may be, but virgin I am not.”

She didn’t look any more or less disgusted as she went back out the door and signaled for the others to come over. It wasn’t two minutes and we were all gathered there in the room. Sah’Rona crashed immediately, dropping her gear before taking up the top portion of the bed. Her snoring started immediately. Juliva went into the bathroom first thing. Larathia waited near the door, having moved the only chair, the blinds slightly propped open for her to see anyone out. I counted out how much cash I had left. Enough ones and fives to hit the vending machine. I went to leave.

Larathia barred the way. I can’t let you leave.”

I’m only going to the vending machine for food.” She didn’t respond. It’s three doors down. I’m not running if that’s what you’re afraid of. I’m just hungry, and I’m sure the rest of you will be as well. No offense but Sah’Rona’s rations suck.”

She appeared to mull it over in her head for a bit. “Fine, but if you’re gone longer than five minutes, I’m coming after you. And remember, we can find you.”

“I guessed that. You can be my knight in shining armor come to rescue me if I’m in trouble,” that had no effect on her. Larathia didn’t even crack a smile.

It took longer than five minutes. I emptied the machine of almost everything chocolate and peanut butter. Then made it halfway through the chips before I ran out of money. When I returned, Larathia was waiting outside, watching me. She didn’t say a thing. Not that I cared. It was apparent she was a hard ass about something. Maybe everything. I dumped the food on the counter. I’d deal with it later. Bathroom first.

“I’m going to take a shower if that’s alright.” I didn’t even bother waiting for Larathia to acknowledge it. I don’t think she did.

It was quiet from within, the light was left on. I entered, a blast of hot humid air. Juliva was in the tub undressed, the curtain open. Instead of legs, the bottom half of her body ended with a mermaid tail. I stared for a few seconds, turned around and walked out, shutting the door behind me. Bathroom would have to wait. How I didn’t notice she wasn’t in the main room, I don’t know.

I took a spot on the bed next to Sah’rona. “So how do you know I am who you think I am”

Larathia stared out the window and I stared at her.

“We have a compass.”

“A compass then. And it points to me?”

“Yes.”

“Are you sure you have the right compass?”

“Yes.”

“How? What if someone sold you the wrong compass?”

“No one sold us anything,” Juliva spoke. She had come out of the bathroom, walking on legs, dressed in her makeshift skirt.

“It's an artifact that each element is attuned to. There is one for each element, Earth Fire, Water, and Air.”

“But still, how do you know it’s working right. I was born to a poor destitute woman, who died in a fire that I miraculously survived.” I paused for a moment, “A fire that I was the only survivor of.” That had seemed unique and remarkable, but in the context of recent events. gears had started turning in my head.

“See, born of fire. The fire avatar is always born of fire.

“I don't understand really what's going on, other than I believe you somewhat that I'm special.” Not the kind of special your parents tell you, but people are out to get me and kill me special.

“I understand how overwhelmed you must feel. I’ll explain what I understand.”

“Uh sure then. I’m listening. And who are the other avatars?”

“You’re looking at them,” Juliva smiled. “I’m water. Larathia is air, and Sah’Rona is Earth.”

“So each of us represent an element?”

“These aren’t true geological elements. Not like gold or iron. They’re more rooted mythological symbolism. Elves, Dwarves, Nereid.”

“Mermaids?” I interrupted

Juliva frowned, “I guess so but we don’t like to be called that. It’s kind of an insult. Nereid is the proper name of my race.”

“Okay. I didn’t know. Sorry. I take it that humans are the last race for fire?”

“Yes.”

"Each of the races are tied to an element, or associated, or one of those words works.”

As general a description as anything.

“You could say that. We four avatars don’t hold any true political power. But we do help maintain societal order and structure in the world with respect to those who fall under our influence. Many look up to us and hold us in high regard, some even see us as almost deific in nature.”

“So you’re saying I have people who I’m supposed to take care of but not take care of?”

“You could put it that way.”

“And each of us Avatars can use magic?”

“Not exactly.”

“What do you mean not exactly?”

“Magic is kind of a vague nondescript word. There’s science behind it, but it’s mainly technique. Think of technology. You must be a master of technology for having a car, a cell phone, a computer, but you’re not. There are many who spend their whole lives studying the sciences, looking for ways to increase their knowledge. There are many types of magics in the world, even this one. Technology is a magic of sorts. It all depends on what standards you go by.

“Okay, so do I have any of this power to use.”

“I’m not exactly sure. The records from the last time you were on Jord weren’t well kept. You definitely do have power.”

I realized I’d been absentmindedly fingering my collar. “Yeah. I know I've got power. But this magic thing. Do I know it or can I learn it?” I know from the internet that there are a few magicians here on Earth, but they’re few and far between. Magic seemed cool and all, but I don’t know. “What type of magic does each avatar have? Is it all the same?”

“It is and it isn’t. There’s a lot of it that ends up with the same effect. For instance, we can all heal using various techniques. But we can each manipulate our own element. I do water. Larathia does air, and Sah’Rona does earth. You should be able to do fire.”

“Oh yeah. I can do fire all right.” I pursed my lips and looked away from Juliva.

“And some of it is instinctive, while other techniques take years of refinement. I’m only 14 and I know that there’s magic I’ve yet to figure out. Larathia is the oldest and she’s figured out a lot. Your average magician or sorcerer can spend years of study to even gain the smallest amount of power. Juliva yawned. “Hey, I’m really tired. We can talk more tomorrow. If you don’t mind.” Juliva crawled onto the bed past me and next to Sah’Rona.

There went the bed.

I really needed to go to the bathroom. With all the girls in sight, I felt pretty safe in not seeing anything I did not want to. The shower was quick and I had a change of clothes in my backpack. Chance favors the prepared.

Larathia still sat and watched the door. Juliva and Sah’rona, despite their small size, both took up the bed. That left me with the floor. Thank god I didn’t have a black light. I dug my sleep meds out of my backpack and took my regular dose. 400mg of trazodone and a 10mg pill of ambien. Then I worked on making sure I had everything packed and ready to go in my bag for a quick exit if needed.

It took about 45 minutes for the traz to kick in before sleep took me. While waiting for the sleep I tried to not think of the past few days events, and failed thinking of nothing but.

up
125 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Now -

Podracer's picture

we're, er, cooking..
Very nice to see a continuation, and that Daniel is getting a bit of a grip on things.

"Reach for the sun."