Coming Home 5

Printer-friendly version
Coming Home

Sydney Moya

© 2015

Synopsis

A man left his home town years ago as a teenager. Now he returns but is very different from the person who left years ago.



Part 5-Feliz cumpleaños

I think it was inevitable that Jack would ask his old friend what sex was like for a woman.

I was interested too but didn't have the guts to ask such a personal question with my boyfriend present. I spluttered on my coke when my boyfriend asked it.

"Jack!"

Bel turned pink again leaving Jack grinning.

"Some things never change," he muttered, "still shy," Jack finished rather smugly, I thought.

"Hey that's totally inappropriate," I warned Jack.

"Sorry," Jack replied, "I'm just curious who has it better,"

Bel nodded, "I don't think I can answer that. I never did it as a guy," she explained.

"Really?"

Belinda nodded, "The very idea put me off. I think that's why I was so shy as a teenager.”

"Are you single?" Jack asked.

"Yes," said Belinda.

"What no way. I need to move to Cali if hot girls like you are single. Sounds like paradise," Jack said looking starry eyed.

I gave him the evil eye, "It'll be hell if you keep talking like that," I told him.

Jack's eyes widened.

Bel and I burst out laughing before Jack joined us.

Jack stayed over for lunch and we carried on our conversation though it was more suited to the presence of Mom.

"Tell me what happened when you graduated?" Bel asked, "I remember you had won a scholarship,"

"I went to college and played ball. I got a degree in Business. I enjoyed it and after I graduated I got a job at Steinman and they sent me here after a couple of years."

"He is deputy VP for the Midwest," I said, rather proudly.

Belinda nodded, "That's good," she replied.

Jack smiled and thanked her.

"What about you?" Jack asked her.

"What's there to tell?" Belinda responded.

"Well I for one am interested my dear," Mom remarked.

"When I left the only thing I wanted was to change and stop being a boy. I wanted to go somewhere I could be a girl and no one would know who I had been. The first thing I did when I got off the bus was find a place to stay and then changing my appearance so I looked like a girl. I had some money and I worked a couple of jobs. Convenience store, waitressing until I met a girl called Callie. She figured out I was transitioning and she found it fascinating. It was in a nice way though. She offered to help me with stuff and be my friend. I could see she was sincere and I needed a friend so I agreed. She taught me a lot, all the stuff girls grow up picking up like behaviour, dressing, makeup. It was thanks to her I met Mark and Barry. I was lucky with them, they hired me and I was sort of a girl Friday for them. They were brilliant but as they were so busy coding they couldn’t attend to anything non-essential which was everything so I had to keep everything going while helping with the code when I could. When they sold the business, they had given me 1% and some cash too. Because of them, I was set for life.

“Wow, that’s some story,” said Jack, “I can’t believe you know Mark Reynolds and Barry Sarkissian,” he said clearly awed. I was just as amazed that my sister moved in such circles.

Bel shrugged, “Their great guys, their wives are just as nice,” she added.

Bonnie put out her hands to her mother, clearly wanting to be picked up. Bel obliged,

“You want to sit with Momma, okay snookums,” she said with a smile taking the child from her high chair.

Bonnie smiled and cooed at her leaving us all smiling.

Bel nuzzled her baby and for the first time I really felt the urge to have a child of my own. Watching Bel and her infant was giving me baby fever. I wanted to have my own baby too, as I could see the the joyfulness in Bel’s eyes whenever she was with her daughter.

***

The barriers between Belinda and the rest of us fell during the next few days as we got used to her. Dad and I went back to work the next day leaving Bel to spend the day with Mom at home which was good for them both as it allowed Mom to find out more about her child’s life. That morning they woke up with Mom making breakfast while Belinda cleaned the house after making sure Bonnie was fed and dry.

By midmorning, my sister would be hard at work glued to her high spec laptop, running meetings on Skype with her associates or doing her work while Mom watched Bonnie or took her for a walk. When she came back Belinda would insist on taking Mom out for lunch at a nearby bistro. It had recently opened and the meals cost an arm and leg.

Reluctantly she agreed but was stunned when she saw the price list.

“Don’t worry Mom, I’ve got it covered,” my sister would tell her before ordering her meal, “It has good reviews on Trip Advisor.”

Mom didn't grill Bel over lunch that afternoon. Part of it was because she wasn't sure where to begin and also that she just enjoyed being with Bonnie and Bel.

When this continued to happen over a number of days, Mom finally asked Belinda how she could afford this.

“This can’t be cheap honey, how are you paying for this?”

“It’s cheaper here than in California,” my sister replied.

“I hope you don’t mind me asking but what exactly do you do for a living?” Mom asked.

“I decide what we can put our money in, and can get us the best return,”

“Our money?”

“Well when Mark and Barry sold the business we started an investment group. Basically we fund tech start ups,” Belinda replied.

Mom nodded, starting to get it.

"Ok that makes sense, are you doing well?"

"We have better returns than the market. Things are good," said Bel with a smile, "it's okay to ask Mom I'm still your child. I suppose you have a thousand questions," Bel added sensing our mother's curiosity.

"Did you ever go to school. I always thought you should have gone to college," Mom asked.

Bel smiled, "I did. I have a masters in investment finance and a bachelors in business."

"Oh my goodness, sweetheart that's wonderful," remarked Mom happily, "I'm so proud."

Belinda smiled.

"A Masters degree. I wish I could have been there," said Mom.

"I have the videos on my laptop,"

"You"ll have to show me. Your father will be so proud. I'm really glad you are doing well. Have you bought a house?"

"I have two," said Bel looking slightly embarrassed.

"Goodness," Mom said taken aback, "that's great."

"Thanks," said Bel before tearing up, "I'm so sorry I didn't keep in touch. I'd go mad if Bonnie disappeared,"

Mom reached for her hand and squeezed it, "That's alright sweetheart. All that matters is that you're back," she said softly.

They sat in silence for a bit before Mom asked another question.

"Are you happy?"

"Yes. I am though I'm scared I'll spend the rest of my life alone, people still find it hard to accept changes like the one I had,"

Mom being a mother sensed there was a story behind this.

"Who hurt you?"

She looked into her child’s eyes which were the one thing that hadn’t changed, she could see the pain in them.

Bel narrated her relationship with Ross and how he'd walked out on her after she'd told him about her past.

"I loved him and he just couldn't stand to be with me when he found out."

A tear rolled down her face. Mom's heart broke at this. She squeezed Bel's hands.

“I’m thankful for everything but it just feels like no one will love me for who I am,” Bel finished, clearly sad.

Mom placed an arm around her child, “Oh sweetheart,” she murmured.

“Am I a freak?”

“No,” said Mom immediately, “you’re not. You should never think that.”

“I dunno Mom sometimes I wonder,” a tearful Bel sighed.

“You said there are doctors who screen people before they can change right?”

Bel nodded.

“Well I think they knew what they were doing. When I see you with Bonnie, everything you said about being a woman isn’t necessary my darling. I can’t see you as a man when you’re with her,” Mom replied, “and stop thinking you’re a freak, you’re unique like everyone else and your father, Meg and I love you to death. This little girl needs a strong woman, be strong for her, ok?”

Bel nodded as Mom squeezed her.

“Love is a funny thing sweetie. It’ll make its way to your door sooner or later. Don’t worry about it,”

Bel had to smile at Mom’s pearls of wisdom.

As I’ve said Mom and Belinda began rebuild their relationship. I found them cooking together in the kitchen. My mother didn’t let anyone into her kitchen and there was Bel puttering around in there like an old hand.

“What’s going on?” Dad asked.

“Bel’s making dinner for us tonight, she wants to show us how they cook on the West coast,’’ Mom explained.

Bel just smiled and carried on cooking . The meal she served us was exqusite. We were all wowed by her cooking.

“I need this recipe sis,” I told her over the meal.

Bel shook her head, “No way, it’s top secret. Besides now you have to keep me around so I can repeat this,” she said making us laugh.

A couple of weeks passed, Bel and Bonnie slotted into our lives almost effortlessly. All of us had just started getting used to the idea that Bel and Bonnie existed. Even Dad was gradually coming around to having another daughter. Mom was relaying the information Bel gave her back to him and as he listened to how they spent their days and about Bel’s life in California, he realised his child had done rather well for herself and that having a sex-change wasn’t a sign of mental illness or his fault. As he had accepted that Bel would be a woman for the rest of her days, he concluded there really was no point being upset over something he couldn’t change. Apart from that he also wanted to get to know his child, he’d missed her terribly and he certainly didn’t want to drive her away by being hung up over her change. He admired her courage in pursuing her goals, however odd he thought they were and coming back to them too. She could just as easily have never come back and he was glad she hadn’t done that.

So in the evenings he’d make sure to talk to her or join in the conversations, ask about her views on the stock market seeing as she was an expert and things would flow from there. Dad was a serious conversationalist when he wanted to be and my sister was clearly well read with interesting takes on global events. Listening to them debate things was educational in itself. I certainly enjoyed listening and talking with them. I know Bel appreciated this and one night she hugged him before he went to bed which made Dad smile.

Before we knew it, Dad’s 54th birthday was upon us. Mom had been planning this for a bit now and she was going to have a little do at home. This brought up the issue of Bel, none of us had let our extended family know about her but as we prepared for the party this was the elephant in the room.

One week before the party we’d already had an awkward moment when the local busybody, Mrs. Chatsworth had showed up on our doorstep when Mom was out taking Bonnie for her morning walk. Bel had answered the door.

“Hello there,” Mrs Chatsworth began.

“Hello,” said Bel, vaguely remembering the woman.

“I’m looking for Camille. I have my RSVP for Tom’s birthday,”

“She’s not in at the moment but I can tell her you called. If you’d like to leave then that’s ok too,” Bel insisted.

“Oh okay, I’m sorry but you are?”

“I’m Belinda Masters,” said Bel.

“I’ve seen you around. You must be related to Tom and Camille,” Mrs Chatsworth.

Bel nodded, “Yes I am,” she responded.

Mrs Chatsworth looked her up and down, “If I might ask, are you Meg’s cousin? You look like some of the Master’s girls,”

Bel shook her head, “Meg’s my sister ma’am,” she supplied.

Mrs Chatsworth looked like she had a million questions now but the expression on Bel’s face probably told her not to push it.

“Alright dear here is my RSVP. Please pass it on to Camille,”

“Sure thing ma’am. Have a nice day,”

We had a family meeting that evening. We had to decide what we were going to say about Bel. As much as we happy to have her home, we weren’t sure what the rest of our friends and relatives would say or do about her. We came from a pretty conservative family and part of the country, a county that religiously voted red in every election. It was a place averse to change so much so that I wasn’t in good books with some of my family for dating Jack.

In the end we all decided to go with the truth, Bel existed, she used to be Des and there was nothing more to be said. Mom and Bel continued with their preparations for the party and one occasion Mrs Chatsworth came round as they prepared to drive out to get some drinks and ice for the party.

Bel rolled down Mom’s window.

“Hi Camille, hello Belinda,” she said.

“Hi,” both women responded.

“I didn’t know Tom had another daughter,” she said cutting to the chase.

My mother smiled, “She’s my daughter too Allison,” said Mom, “she’s come down here with her daughter to see us. She’s staying for a while,” she added.

“I didn’t know you had another daughter,”

“Neither did I but it turns out I always had two girls instead of a boy and a girl,” Mom responded, “I’m sorry Allison but we have to go. Can we talk later?” Mom finished which was the cue for Bel to pull out of the driveway.

“Why didn’t you just come out and say it?” Bel asked as she drove off.

“It’ll give her something to think about, nosy witch,” Mom remarked, making Bel smile as she discovered another side to Mom.

Belinda was quite nervous the morning of the party. She had no idea what the rest of her family would make of her and Bonnie. She’d actually told my parents that she wouldn’t mind going to a hotel for the afternoon so as to avoid any awkwardness that would arise from her being there. When Mom and Dad heard this they collectively put their foot down. They wouldn’t hear of it

“No, this is my home and you’re my child. Anyone who doesn’t want you here can go to hell,” Dad told her while Mom nodded.

“We’re not going to hide you,” Mom said, “you’ve been gone for long enough,” she murmured.

Our parents confidence in her inspired her to stay. She took my hand and insisted we had to get ready.

“We need makeovers. Where can we get ourselves done up around here?”

I smiled, “I like your thinking,”

“Mom, you’re coming too,” my sister insisted, “this is my present to Dad,” she teased.

She drove us to a spa in the next county and we had complete makeovers in a couple of hours. I swear that Dad jaw dropped when he saw us. Mom looked years younger. Jack who I’d asked to come keep Dad company that morning whistled as he looked at me and I felt great

“Happy birthday Dad,” my sister smirked, presenting our mother to him

“Wow, you look incredible all three of you, especially you Cami,” he remarked.

Mom walked over to him, "I heard some hunk is having a party here," she said in a vampy tone.

"Hmm you heard right sugar," Dad remarked.

Bel and I giggled as Dad took by her into his arms and struck a chachacha pose with her.

Bel smiled and took Bonnie upstairs so she could change. I followed her there letting myself into her room. She looked at me and held up two outfits.

"Which one?"

"I like that one,'' I replied pointing to a dress on the left.

"Great minds think alike," she remarked.

She slipped out of her clothes and put on the dress.

Bel looked amazing in her Brent Jones jungle print mini dress. A dress that I as an avid fashion follower knew cost close to almost $500. Her wardrobe was full of very nice, bespoke items all of which pointed to a woman of means. Most women would kill for her looks, taste in clothes and bank account. Bel strangely wasn’t too concerned about it. She carried herself with the ease of someone sure of themselves and her place in the world.

I certainly envied that trait of her character and I hoped I could develop that trait by time I was her age.

The first person to arrive was Dad’s brother, Uncle Ben. He pulled into the drive and bounded up to the door.

“Howdy,” he said when the door opened.

Uncle Ben was a big bear of man, standing at 6ft4. He was quite a character, a jovial man who’d lived a very rich life. It went without saying that he was our favourite uncle growing up as he had so many stories to tell.

He gave Dad a strong handshake, their usual greeting. As usual Dad had to wince before my Uncle released his vice like grip. It was a weird ritual between them,

“Happy birthday,” he roared patting his little brother on the back

He turned to Mom, “Are you getting younger Camille?” he teased before kissing my mother’s cheek.

I was engulfed in a hug before I could say anything, “Hello my dear,” he after he easily picked me up and lifted me into the air. I felt like a rag doll in his arms.

He then shook Jack’s hand before noticing Bel and her daughter.

I saw the uncertainty in Bel’s eyes.

“Howdy miss, please excuse my manners. I’m Ben Masters, who might you be?”

“Hi Uncle Ben, it’s me Des,” said my sister slowly

My uncle looked puzzled for a moment, before the penny dropped.

A roar erupted from his chest

“What!”

To be continued

up
204 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

“What!”

hopefully, its a good "what"

DogSig.png

I hope so

Too. We'll have to see won't we.

Sydney Moya

Yes, I so hope this goes right

littlerocksilver's picture

I also hope someone else will show up and behave appropriately.

Portia

I'm now waiting to see how

I'm now waiting to see how Uncle Ben finishes his reaction to Belinda's statement about her other old self.
I mean if he makes and sells Rice, he can't be all bad right? I know, I know. Just couldn't miss this opportunity. ; -) (snicker)
I really believe that Belinda will be able to give much better than she receives, because I also believe she can buy and sell the majority of her relatives several times over; AND that can change a persons mind many, many times.

I didn't get it

Until I googled it:). I don't know if she'd "buy" her relatives though she could if she wanted to. It's an interesting idea..

Sydney Moya