Heir to a Title - Chapter 6

Printer-friendly version

Chapter 6

Beverly woke to the sound of soft knocking on her bedroom door.

“Who is it?” She called in a somewhat croaky voice.

“Ellie.”

“Ooh, come in girl,” she called through the door.

Ellie entered and smiled knowingly.

“Morning you dirty stop-out. What time did you get back?”

Beverly smirked then stepped towards the bathroom and poured herself a glass of water before returning to answer Ellie’s question.

“’Bout half two-ish I think maybe three. I wasn’t checking my watch.”

“I didn’t hear the car.”

“It’s very quiet when just cruising very slowly. The crunch of the gravel is louder than the engine. She’s got an extra silencer, I don’t do the boy racer thing – much.”

“Didn’t sound like that when you hit the road yesterday evening.”

“I was late for the plane arriving at Leeds-Bradford.”

“Hope it didn’t wreck the business deal.”

“What – oh that, no there were just a couple of loose ends to tie up then we went to a club. Business and pleasure, like I told you. Though perhaps more pleasure than business.”

“Good time then, was it?”

Beverly grinned and squinted knowingly through her left eye.

“Oh yes. Leeds First Friday is a good night out. I’ll be coming up here more often – too Leeds that is!” Beverly hastily added before adding some details. “And before you ask any further, yes, we both enjoyed it very much. I poured her into bed about two-ish then dashed here. What time is it?”

“Nine o’clock,” Ellie replied, “are you up to facing breakfast?”

Beverly’s grimace slowly changed into a grin.

“Oh alright then; something light though, maybe some toast and coffee.”

“Get washed and dressed then. The children are taking the horses out later. D’you ride?”

Beverly looked shocked.

“Good God no! The children own their own horses at my cottage and Sian runs the riding school but I’ve never been on a horse in my life and I certainly don’t intend to start now.”

She slid out of bed, returned to her en-suite bathroom and stepped into the shower. Ellie watched through the smoked glass as Beverly yawned and stretched then groaned slightly. Ellie grinned sympathetically.

“So it was a good night then - obviously. How’s the hang-over.”

“I don’t have one my dear. I don’t drink. I’m just stiff; too much dancing I’m afraid, and my feet are sore from dancing in heels all night.”

“What! No drinking at all?”

“Well very little, maybe a sherry at Christmas; festive spirit and all that. I’m a good girl really.”

“Oh yeah. Clubbing ‘til you’re what – seventy? And then crawling home with the milk; you’re a dirty stop-out girl.”

She spotted a pair of monstrous platform heels sticking out from under the bed.

“Good god boss! Are these the heels you wore?”

“If they’re black with gold heels, yes.”

Ellie wagged her head in secret admiration.

“I’d have trouble in these bitches girl! – and you’re how old?”

“I’m old enough; they don’t I.D. me on the doors.”

“What would you use for ID.?”

“My OAP bus-pass, what else?”

Ellie chuckled and left her boss to it.

“I’ll meet you in the morning room. I’ve got to see to the children.”

After Ellie had gone, Beverly opened the cubicle door and examined herself in the opposite wall-length mirror. She smiled. Her feet still ached slightly but otherwise, the night out had left few signs so she stepped out of the shower feeling much refreshed. Twenty minutes later, she was nibbling on some toast as Ellie returned from the stables.

“Julie is sorting the children then leading them out to the edge of the moor. After that the kids will be on their own. They’ve each got mobiles
and the weather’s set fair so they’ll be gone for the whole day; have you got any plans?”

Beverly shrugged.

“No, this was a very late invitation so I didn’t make any plans for the weekend – just the Friday night. If you’re agreeable I’d like to go into York; they say it’s a pretty place.”

“York it is then,” Ellie agreed, “I’ll ask the duchess if she wants to come. We can go in my car if that beast of yours is too cramped.”

“Go in yours and yes, the two bucket seats in mine are okay for kids but the duchess and Julie would never fit. What shall we do in York there’s plenty to see.”

“What would you like, shopping or museums - or York Minster perhaps?”

“Forget the churches, I don’t do religion. What about doing the old town then a bit of shopping?”

“Clothes?” Ellie suggested knowingly.

“What else; will the dinner be more formal tonight? If it is I’ll need a gown or something.”

“We’d best ask Molly. I’ll go and find her.”

“How would you – oh!”

Ellie was already ringing the Duchess on her mobile and she grinned as it rang.

“God alone knows how they found anybody in this place before the days of mobile phones.”

“I suppose they had a thousand flunkies then.” Beverly sighed.

“And an elaborate system of bells.” Ellie explained. “The kitchen still has a whole raft of old call indicators. Some of them still work inside the house and the ones to the outbuildings are now electric.”

She handed her mobile to Beverly who asked. “Hello. Where are you your grace?”

“Oh don’t be so formal Miss Beverly, call me Molly. I’m in the stable yard with my other daughter-in-law still getting the children organised. I’ll be back in the breakfast room as soon as we’ve sent the children off for a ride. I’m just finishing dressing my grandson. Julie’s taking them off the estate and out into one of the dales. What is it you want anyway?”

“Oh, Uuuhm, I was wondering about dinner tonight. Will it be like last night or is it more formal.”

“Would you prefer more formal? I know my daughters and daughters-in-law don’t need much persuading to dress up in pretty gowns. Are you up for it?”

Beverly wondered for a moment then covered her mobile and asked Ellie.

“She’s giving me the choice, formal or casual; what d’you think?”

Ellie’s grin split her face from ear to ear.

“Formal gives you an excuse to go dress shopping. Good God girl, carpe diem!”

“Formal it is then. I’ll ask Molly if she’s game.” Beverly smiled knowingly as she returned to the mobile.

“Ellie suggests formal and I’m up for that, what about you?”

“Dammit girl! Try and stop me. I’ll invite my daughters over.”

“Tell her to warn the cook!” Ellie shouted over Beverly’s shoulder.

Molly laughed and replied.

“I’ll try and get a catering company to hire us a helper. We usually do that when we have a party these days. Let’s go and ask the cook what help she’ll need.”

In the kitchen while they discussed the cook’s needs, they heard the commotion in the yard as the children were setting off for their ride with Julie. Ellie and Beverly went out to see them off while Molly remained chatting to the cook. Beverly noticed that Callum was definitely wearing girl’s jodhpurs and a girl’s hacking jacket that buttoned up on the left. She said nothing. It was obvious that the family knew about it for the boy had been dressed by his grandmother that very morning. She joined Ellie briefly as they watched the riders depart then they both returned to the kitchen to chat to the cook.

By eleven the three ladies were driving to York where Beverly chose a suitable gown in Royal blue. Molly acted as a tour guide for she knew the city intimately and by six o’clock they were back at Denton Hall with two young catering students from the local college who were eager to earn some extra cash plus a night spent sleeping in the hall. At eight, the whole Denton family where sitting down to dinner. Beverly was sat on the Duke’s right hand as an honoured guest while Ellie took her usual place next to the Duchess. The rest of the family were spread out between the children to ensure good manners and equal shares. Callum sat opposite his mother on the other side of the Duchess at the other end of the table from the duke. Beverly noted that this time, Callum was dressed in male attire and she concluded that his aunts and their children did not know of the young earl’s cross dressing. She decided to remain shhtum and concentrated with chatting to the duke about ‘untin’, shootin’ an’ fishin’. It was not to be however.

The Duchess, like any good host was endeavouring to widen the conversation when she picked up on Ellie referring to Beverly as ‘The
Skipper’. Innocently she asked Ellie.

“Why d’you call her ‘The Skipper’?”

Ellie paused.

“I actually don’t know. I hear the stevedores and ship’s crews refer to her as ‘The Skipper’. It’s a sort of general parlance all over the quay and in our office. A mark of affection I think.”

Molly tapped gently on her glass to call for silence then innocently asked Beverly.

“Beverly; Ellie tells me you have a nick-name; ‘The Skipper’. Any particular reason how you came by it?”

Beverly paused as her mind raced momentarily then she remembered the little item of Callum’s cross-dressing for the morning ride. Here was a heaven sent opportunity to explore the issue a little further and find out about the young earl. She decided to be open and frank for there was no way the Denton family could affect her business affairs if they disapproved of her life-style. Beverly answered quite openly.

“Oh before I started the shipping line, I was a simple ship’s captain. I rescued a pair of children from a pirate attack in the Indian Ocean of The Horn of Africa and the girls copied the rest of my crew by calling me skipper. The name stuck with them and eventually everybody called me that.”

“You were a ship’s captain!” Molly asked wonderingly.

Ellie played it down deliberately. There was nothing like a lack of information to prick up people’s interest and Beverly was angling to bring the conversation around to Callum’s behaviour. She replied dismissively.

“Oooh yes, a long time ago, in another life.”

Naturally, Molly was hooked and wanted to know more, as did the rest of the table.

“Good gracious! A ship’s captain. How did the crew react to having a lady captain?”

Beverly took the plunge.

“I wasn’t a lady then, I was a man.”

A deafening silence fell upon the table as the chink of cutlery ceased and heads turned.

“A man!” Harry the Duke finally intoned.

Beverly nodded and smiled quite openly.

“Yes. I only began living as a woman since I formed my own business and I was free to live as I needed to live.”

“Without wishing to sound intrusive; how long ago was that?” Harry asked.

“Oooh, ‘bout ten years ago now.”

There was a pregnant pause while Harry recovered his composure before responding positively.

“Well done Miss Beverly!” Harry congratulated her. “You have shown commendable courage. All that gender business and building a shipping line to boot! Ellie spoke of you having children. How have they reacted to it?”

“We live happily in a beautiful converted farm near Poole in Dorset. They are my adopted children; the first two girls were the sisters I rescued from the pirate attack. Then I ended up taking in a couple more transgendered waifs and strays that were being abused because of their gender issues.

We later learned that the rescued sisters’ father was murdered by the pirates. However, their mother was taken by the pirates and abused in captivity for over a year before being rescued by a joint Franco-German military incursion into Somalia. The troops were looking for other hostages but, by a happy coincidence they discovered her while searching for other hostages. Later on I married their mother after the authorities established her husband was definitely dead. I have a child by her. I am, or more correctly, I was a father. Though my own child now sees me as a second mother.”

As the Denton family digested this information, Beverly smiled easily but shocked silence endured until Callum piped up with all the innocence of a child.

“If you’re a father, have you still got a willie?”

Ellie almost choked with embarrassment while the silence became more ‘deafening’, then she finally recovered her composure and warned her son!

“Callum! Don’t be so rude!”

“What?” The boy pressed innocently.

Like a skilled hostess, Molly quickly retrieved the situation by explaining to the boy.

“That is a very private matter between Miss Beverly and whoever she wishes to share it with. You mustn’t ask personal questions like that, it’s rather rude young man.” She turned apologetically to Beverly. “I’m so sorry, I’m sure he had no wish to be rude.”

Beverly grinned easily to help relax the tension further.

“No harm done, and for the record,” she turned directly to Callum – “you see young man, I’ve only recently transitioned after fathering my child.”

“What does ‘trasition’ mean?” Callum asked getting the word slightly wrong.

Beverly continued smiling to reassure him.

“Well, the answer to your question Callum is no; I don’t have my ‘willie’ as you call it, any-more.”

Harry intervened tactfully to move the conversation away from Beverly’s gender issue.

“So tell us more about how you rescued the girls.”

The whole table relaxed as Beverly described the events and the follow-up story as to how she ended up adopting the girls in a foreign country. Her story raised the occasional chuckle, the odd gasp and sometimes a curse as issues touched upon the cruelties associated with being transgendered. Eventually Beverly’s tale was finished and Molly stood up.

“Well my word! This has been absolutely exciting!” Molly gasped. “Who would have thought we have a real live heroine at our table. Shall we go into the drawing room?”

Once they had removed to the drawing room Callum immediately latched onto Beverly.

“When I grow up, I want to be like you.”

Beverly smiled and bent forward to kiss him on the forehead.

“You’d better just wait and see darling. You’re a bit young to do anything just yet.”

“Will you help me?”

Beverly sat back nonplussed and looked up as she wagged her head helplessly. Callum persisted as he turned to Ellie.

“If Miss Beverly is allowed to wear girl’s clothes, can I go and change now?”

It was Ellie’s turn to be perplexed but Molly came to her rescue.

“Let him change girl. It never did Uncle Mortimer any harm and he turned out to be a military hero.”

Ellie shrugged and took Callum up to their room. There she found one of Lucy’s old dresses folded neatly on the bed. Callum had been hoping to dine in the gown but circumstances had prevented him. Now he felt he had some sort of ally in Miss Beverly, the boy had become emboldened. Ellie told him to undress and was not surprised to see he was wearing knickers and a chemise underneath. She sighed resignedly and helped her son into the gown.

As expected, it fitted perfectly and Ellie realised that Callum’s older cousin Lucy had obviously played a part in its choice. When it slithered down his body, Callum shuddered with delight and danced a little jig on the bed. This caused him to lose his balance and he fell into his mother’s arms just as Molly entered.

“The children have been allowed to stay up late; can Callum stay up late?”

Callum’s eyes widened with hope and anticipation.

“Does that mean I can go down in my dress and talk to Miss Beverly again?”

Ellie nodded then cautioned him.

“Yes, but not too many personal questions.”

Molly explained why the children were allowed to stay up.

“We’re organising a quiz, Callum will need a partner; d’you think Miss Beverly will partner him?”

“What you mean ‘The tranz team’?” Ellie smirked, and Molly’s grin widened as Ellie advised her. “You’d best ask Miss Beverly.”

Downstairs the teams were lining up and by a suspicious coincidence Beverly’s team had one last vacancy. Callum had found his favoured place, sitting on Beverly’s lap while one of his adult paternal aunts and another young cousin made up the foursome. Molly was question-mistress and Harry agreed to be referee and scorekeeper.

At the end of the night Beverly’s team won by a mile and the Denton family were suitably impressed. Over the drinking chocolate and biscuits they became curious about Beverly’s background and education. Gentle probing proved of little use and Ellie noticed that Beverly seemed strangely reluctant to reveal her origins. A few simple items were given away but essentially, Beverly skirted skilfully around the questions until Harry the Duke asked bluntly.

“You’re damned good at general knowledge, science and maths Miss Beverly. You’ve beaten both of my daughters, my daughters-in-law, my sons-in-law and my nieces and they’re all Oxbridge; where on earth did you do your education?”

Beverly debated what to say then she finally decided to shock them and put an immediate stop to any more probing.

“I never went to school; or university your grace.”

Once again, the silence was deafening.

“But!” The duke was stuck for words. “What never?”

“Never, but it’s water under the bridge now. I’d rather not go there please.”

“Well I must admit Miss Beverly, truly you are full of surprises I was wondering, -“

Molly interrupted for she recognised Beverly’s desperate strategy and as a good hostess, she was determined to avoid embarrassing their exciting new guest. She stopped the duke’s questions with a well tried family tactic.

“Okay then children, it’s time for bed I’m afraid.”

“And bed time for me too I’m afraid.” Beverly added; taking her cue from Molly’s significant glance before explaining. “I have to be alert when driving the Aston and it’s a long journey even in that beast.”

She made her excuses and thanked Molly for the wonderful evening. As she stood to go, a sleepy Callum refused to be set down and clung to Beverly’s neck obviously hoping to be carried up in her arms. Beverly cast a questioning glance towards Ellie who assented.

“She’ll sleep better if she’s had a little treat. I’ll bring the girls up with Julia.”

A wide smile split Callum’s face as he snuggled gratefully into Beverly’s arms. In the bedroom Beverly set him on the bed and watched Ellie remove his dress before slipping the nightie over Callum’s head. Ellie caught Beverly looking and she felt forced to explain.

“He sleeps better in his nightie. I don’t understand it but that’s the way it is. The girls don’t seem to mind.”

“Nor the rest of the family it seems,” Beverly added, “I’m impressed; and relieved now I know how easy-going they are about it.”

“How long have you been doing it?” Ellie pressed.

Beverly shrugged and stated bluntly.

“Since I was about four; and I don’t want to talk about it anymore. Another day perhaps.”

Ellie raised her eyebrows with a sympathetic, inquisitive expression.

Beverly nodded a slow -‘Yes’- to Ellie’s silent question before adding.

“It wasn’t easy Ellie, that’s all I really want to say.”

Ellie said no more, she realised that Miss Beverly had some issues about something from way back.

The children all bundled onto one wide bed and Beverly was called upon to tell a story. Beverly was bombarded with requests.

“Tell us more about the rescue! Tell us more about the girls you rescued! Can we play with them?”

“Oh I’m afraid not young ladies; Dorset’s quite a way away and the girls are some years older than Lucy.”

After a ripple of disappointment, they settled down as Beverly elaborated briefly on the story.
Soon they were all asleep and the two adults crept downstairs.

After a few minutes socialising, Beverly felt forced to make for bed. She gave her apologies and was soon asleep.

~o000o~

Early Sunday morning found Beverly packing her Aston ready for the journey home. When she was finished a well breakfasted but still sleepy Callum was brought out to join her and he squealed with delight when he learned he was to be a passenger. As they roared off up the drive Ellie watched then turned to finish packing as she prepared to follow on in her own car. She had arranged to collect Callum at Beverly’s cottage when she arrived back in Dorset.

Ellie’s journey proved to be tedious. The rain and occasional dense fog patches made it dangerous to continue on the motorways so Ellie had moved over to the minor roads and picked her way home without the frightful threat of getting involved in a multiple ‘pile-up’. The alternative routes proved slow and tiring so it was close to midnight when she finally arrived exhausted in Dorset. Beverly met her in the yard and immediately invited her in.

“Good gracious girl I’ve been worried, I’m glad you phoned, the fog must have got worse after that.?”

“Yes. Just south of Oxford, I had to stop for a break and wait for conditions to improve. Visibility was hopeless.”

“You must be all in Darling. You’d better stay overnight. I’ve put Callum to bed in one of the guest-rooms. You can sleep in the adjoining room they share a bathroom so you’ll be within earshot. Let’s have a hot chocolate before bed.”

Ellie nodded sleepily, she couldn’t have faced even the short journey to her own cottage. In the morning the unexpected clatter of horses’ hooves on concrete and the chatter of children preparing to ride tore Ellie from her bed. She found Callum already downstairs digging into a bowl of cereal and fruit-juice.

“Can I go on one of the horses Mummy?”

Reluctantly Ellie had to refuse. Beverly had already indulged Ellie by allowing her to run Callum home before resuming work in the Shipping office. Nana Charlotte would look after him for the afternoon. Callum sulked until Beverly offered him a stay during the next half term if his mother was agreeable. By the time she had ferried Callum home, it was noon when Ellie got to work. Beverly was busy with a potential new customer for the Hull to Hamburg, Tangier and Poole service. He had just arrived that morning and Beverly introduced him to Ellie just as she was sitting down to her desk.

“Hello Ellie, hope Callum’s okay about not riding, perhaps the weekend sometime. Anyway, may I introduce Herr Hans Schmitt? He’s from Bavaria but works in Hamburg.”

Beverly’s knees went weak at the sight of him as she took his proffered hand. Beverly smiled knowingly behind his back as she recognised Ellie’s reaction. Having sorted much of the logistical issues earlier she made a suggestion.

“I suggest the three of us go for lunch in the yacht club to discuss freight projections before we visit the ship. She’s alongside having modifications.”

Ellie nodded and swallowed as she composed herself. The client was just too dishy for words.
The lunch went well- for both Ellie and Beverly. The cargo deal was struck which gave promise of much earlier and possibly immediate profitability for the new trade and that pleased Beverly. On the other front, Ellie managed to procure a date with the dishy Bavarian hunk.
The visit to the ship proved useful. The Bavarian was glad to see real steps being taken as he studied the stern-ramp being upgraded and enlarged as Beverly explained.

“She was lengthened a year ago but she then proved to be too cumbersome for the trade she was on. The port reneged on a verbal agreement to enlarge the turning circle in the river because some local politicians and environmentalists made a fuss. Consequently the ship proved too long to turn around. It goes to show you can never trust a bunch of suits to keep their word; the owners should have got it in writing. I can’t understand how her previous owners got it so wrong but their mistake is my good luck. She was an ideal size for my ambitions and consequently she’s here. What d’you think of her?”

The Bavarian client was studying the ramp enlargement alterations and nodding as he spoke.

“That wider, longer, ramp should easily handle the new super-trucks if they become legal.”

“I was thinking more of dual handling, you know, roll-on - roll-off simultaneously. It makes for faster turnarounds’.”

“Makes sense, port fees can be expensive, how do you cope with them?”

Beverly smiled as she used his name for the first time.

“That’s simple Hans, I have bought shares in the wharfage company so I have some pull here in Poole and any profits the wharfage company accrues, partly goes to me. That helps balance my whole account because I own my shipping operation lock, stock and barrel. I’ve also got myself recently elected to the harbour trust and that means I keep my finger on the pulse where I have a vote in harbour plans and maintenance.”

They talked at length with Ellie taking the occasional notes until various avenues and issues were resolved and the business was over. Ellie went home happily clutching her purse with Hans’s telephone number. It was getting late when she arrived at the cottage and entered to see her Nan dozing in her recliner chair.

“How did it go darling,” Nana Charlotte asked from her favourite armchair as Ellie made some tea before stepping into the large communal sitting room that she, her father and Nana shared.

Ellie’s face spread into a broad smile as she bent down to kiss her elderly Nana

“I’ve just seen an expert reel in a large fish. That Miss Beverly is just brilliant at business. She has all the essential info at her finger-tips!”

“Hard-headed business-woman is she? Pushy and brash?”

Ellie snapped back.

“No, no she’s not, she’s actually quite lovely. Haven’t you noticed how she allows me time off to see to Callum? She’s a fabulous boss. Yes, she’s sharp and intuitive when it comes to business but she’s not pushy or abrasive – far from it. I’ve just seen her in action and it’s a wonder to behold. Despite her being close to retirement age, she soldiers on like a real trooper but when it comes to mother stuff she’s right up there! No she’s not pushy or brash. By the way, where is Callum?”

“Out the back with your dad. You’ve started something there, apparently he wants a horse.”

Ellie rolled her eyes.

“Where would we keep a horse?”

“Don’t ask me darling. I’m only his great grandmother and getting on in years, too old to be riding horses.”

Ellie gave the old lady a hug.

“Oh Tosh Nana! You’ll live to be a hundred. You’re ninety eight now and still moving around pretty well.”

The old lady shrugged and pushed the button at the side of the chair to lift her up as she made towards the kitchen.

“Well we’d better move now if dinner’s to be had. Can you peel the veg?”

Ellie nodded and glanced at the planned menu before selecting the makings from the vegetable rack and peeling them. Nana Charlotte took some stewing beef from the fridge and diced it into chunks. By the time Callum and ‘Bampi Bill’ returned from the back, the stew was boiling nicely and Ellie was cutting thick slices of bread and buttering them as Nana Charlotte carved the cheese into tasty chunks.
A little inquisitive nose appeared at his Great-grandmother’s side as she was arranging the chunks on a plate. She offered him some cheese and smiled as he eagerly consumed it. Grand-pa Bill chuckled.

“He’s got the family liking for cheese then. That’ll make cooking easier.”

Callum helped Ellie lay the table while Nana Charlotte watched the news and Grand-pa bill resumed his crossword. Occasionally, he called out one of the clues to Ellie as she prepared the desert of tinned fruit and cream.

After Dinner Callum went up to his bedroom while the adults chatted. After half an hour, he re-appeared dressed in the frock that Duchess Molly had given him on leaving Denton hall. As he entered, Ellie looked up and tensed slightly. Neither her father nor grandmother knew about Callum’s recent penchant for cross-dressing. Her reaction did not go entirely un-noticed and Nana Charlotte turned to see Callum as he crossed the room to sit with his mother. She gasped in shock before scolding him as her voice almost reached a shriek.
Ellie span around in shock at the sheer anger in her Nana’s voice.

“Good heaven’s boy, what on earth are you wearing? That’s wicked! Take it off immediately.”

Ellie glared at her grandmother and sprang to Callum’s defence as tears started to appear in his eyes.

“Don’t you shout at him like that! He’s not doing any harm.”

Nana Charlotte bristled angrily.

“What he’s doing is wrong and it will get him into trouble. Tell her Bill.”

“Oh leave the boy alone mother! Remember what happened last time!”

Nana Charlotte gasped with dismay.

“It’s just wrong Bill. It was wrong then and it’s still wrong now.”

Ellie stared in puzzled silence then felt forced to ask as she turned to her Nana.

“What d’you mean, ‘wrong then’ and ‘wrong now’?”

Nana Charlotte stared at her grand-daughter as confused uncertainty glittered in her eyes, she hadn’t realised that
William had never spoken to Ellie about the family skeletons. Hastily she tried to make a smokescreen.

“It doesn’t matter now; water under the bridge.”

Ellie’s father interrupted. He couldn’t let it go.

“For you mother perhaps but not for me.”

Nana Charlotte glared.

“I had to do it. Think of the trouble, think of the shame!”

Bill cursed.

“Oh damn you mother! Times have changed. Leave the child alone; anyway I come between him and you. You’ll not have your way!”

Ellie stood baffled as she watched her ‘olds’ arguing then finally she found her voice.
“I’m asking again; what d’you mean by ‘wrong then and wrong now’? What’s wrong?”
Her father turned almost wearily.

“It doesn’t matter darling, as your Nan said, it’s water under the bridge.”

“What? What d’you mean? ‘Water under the bridge’? What!”

“Not now Ellie. Now’s neither the time nor the place.”

“Dammit dad! Don’t leave me hanging like that! What’s going on? What is this ‘water under the bridge’? And I’m responsible for my child, not you – or Nana!”

“I said not now Ellie! Some other time!”

“Dad Stoppit! Nana! The time is NOW! What’s the connection between now and then? Come on I’m in my mid twenties, I’m a mother for God’s sake. This has obviously something to do with Callum and the dress! What is this bloody ‘water under the bridge’ business?”
Nana Charlotte frowned guiltily.

“There’s no need to swear Ellie. There’s a child present.”

“Yes! And he’s my child so let me handle the dressing stuff! There’s nothing wrong with him wanting a dress. This the twenty first century not the nineteenth or even the twentieth. So it’s not ‘wrong’ as you put it!”

“All right if you say so. I’ll say nothing more; least said soonest mended.”

“No you can’t just leave it there. I’ll ask one more time, you said it was wrong then and wrong now. Explain! When was ‘then’ as you call it?”

Her father reached out and turned her into his arms as he hugged her.

“Not now Ellie, I think it’s best you and I talk with your aunts. This is family business from way, way back.”

Ellie shook her head.

“That’s not an answer dad! I’m family am I not? I want an answer. What’s such a big bloody secret and how come I’m only hearing of it now?”

Her father shook his head almost defeatedly.

“I’ll call your aunts; I’ll try to get them together on Saturday. Can you wait until Saturday?”

Ellie’s patience was just about to snap but she held herself together.

“Provided that woman – that mother of yours – doesn’t say anything to Callum.”

She turned angrily on her grand-mother.

“Nothing d ’you hear? No sneaky asides, no subtle remarks or Chinese whispers – nothing!”

Nana Charlotte tried to defend her stance but Ellie cut her dead.

“I still don’t think –“

Ellie bristled.

“I said nothing. Leave him alone. If you’ve anything more to add, you can say it on Saturday in front of the ugly sisters.”

“That’s no way to speak of your Aunties.”

“Well they are. We hardly see them anyway. Is this anything to do with their reluctance to come and see us very often?”

“No. It’s nothing like that. Your father’s right, we’ll speak of it on Saturday. Now let’s get on with dinner.”

The meal was eaten in relative silence but Ellie couldn’t fail to notice the angry glances that Nana Charlotte was casting towards Callum. As soon as the meal was over Ellie sent him to their part of the cottage while she cleared away the dishes and washed up. She heard her father
arguing briefly with her grandmother but she decided to keep out of it and retired to her ‘apartment’ to avoid further argument. Later that evening as she was going to bed her father came to her door. She had been anticipating his visit for she and he had an intensely close relationship.

“Come in,” she replied softly to his knock.

“I’ve spoken to my sisters, they’re coming over on Friday night instead of Saturday, we want to try and resolve the issues without biting too deeply into the weekend.”

“What’s it all about Dad?” Ellie asked, as she struggled keep calm. “What big secret is so vital as to have been kept from me all these years? I thought we had no secrets between us.”

“This is not just between you and me Ellie; this is a whole family matter between your Nan, your aunts, and me – and you and your cousins. Neither you nor your cousins know about it. But I’ll ask you for now, please be patient, and wait until my sisters arrive with their children.”
He reached out to invite her for a hug but Ellie was too distraught to respond. It was going to be hell’s own delight waiting for Friday but she had little choice but to do so. Arrangements with her aunts had been made over the phone and her father had obviously spent a lot of time and energy making them. Instead she resumed making her hot chocolate and intimated that she was angry so she was going to bed. Her father left in silence.

~o000o~

up
288 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thank you Beverly,

Hooray! Skipper is back! You handled the confrontation with Grand Ma so well, you have not lost your touch.Congratulations and may
you and the family have a great Christmas and a prosperous New Year.

ALISON

Well this is getting more and

Well this is getting more and more intriguing. Can't wait to see what the big secret is going to be.

then and now?

hmm ...

DogSig.png

Darn It!

Christina H's picture

A cliff hanger but what a good un! I wonder what the family secret is?

This simply gets better and better and a hunky Bavarian thrown in as an
added bonus for Ellie.

Thanks Beverly and I hope you have a great festive season.

Christina

Oh!

Podracer's picture

Oh dear. Who knows what secrets we bury that can be accidentally exhumed by even our closest ones. This one seems to have caused bad things, let us pray it has run out of hurt by now.

And hey I have met a similar shoeaholic with a penchant for dangerous heels. I reckon she had to go for altitude training instead of deportment.

"Reach for the sun."

My gosh, I've an inkling that

My gosh, I've an inkling that a hint of silk is on both sides of the family tree.
Beverly you are a Devil. Ship owner, ship's captain, owner of wharf-age,a right capitalist you are.
Now the other side of parentage with a transgendered child.

Karen