Heir to a Title - Chapter 4

Printer-friendly version

Still no title.

Chapter 4
Ellie was back in her office busy catching up with work when her boss spoke from the hall.

“Ah Miss Ellie, did those charter parties arrive today.”

Ellie’s boss, Miss Beverly had just returned from London and her voice carried through the door even as she entered the little dockside office. Ellie looked up; smiled because she was always glad to see her employer, and nodded her head.

“Yes, I’ve left a brief analysis on your desk. Did you not get my text message?”

“Sorry. My phone battery went dead. Stupid me, I forgot to charge it last night.”

“I suspected as much. There’s a freshly charged spare in the drawer of your desk. D’you want a cuppa.”

“You’re an angel darling, come through and I tell you what’s afoot. It’s been an interesting day up in London.”

Ellie made the tea and joined Miss Beverly in the inner sanctum.

“So how did it go?”

“Oh the meeting you mean?” Not too badly. There’s potential for the trade but it will mean a trip up to the Humber to examine a suitable terminal at a suitable price. Money’s tight d’you see.”

“Money’s always tight,” Ellie replied with a knowing grin.

Miss Beverly nodded wryly then took a sip of tea before looking up directly into Ellie’s eyes.

“D’ you think you could handle it, a brief visit to Humberside to check what’s available.”

“I depends what the brief is. What are we looking for?”

“Two things mainly; berth access and cargo handling space from the practical sense - and trade volumes as it affects viability. We’ve got spare capacity in the new ship.”

They chatted at length about various aspects until after six then closed up the office for the night. The irregular hours did not bother Ellie for her job was stimulating and interesting while her child-care needs were amply attended to by her Nana Charlotte and her father William. Miss Beverly finally stood up, stretched and nodded towards the door.

“Time for home I think. See you tomorrow and we’ll get on with the business plan. Bring your calculator, though I hardly think you’ll need it with your brain. By the way, what're you doing the weekend?”

“Nothing much. Preparing to take Callum up’t-north to his paternal roots. Weekend after next is Easter. He’ll be staying with his grandparents for a fortnight.”

Miss Beverly nodded thoughtfully.

“Ah! Chance to kill two birds with one stone I’m thinking.”

Ellie looked up and frowned.

“How so?”

“If we move quickly on the plan you could do your survey of the Humber during the same fortnight. Then you could stay with your boy each night. Your in-laws are up that way aren’t they?

“South Yorkshire, yes, Denton hall’s ‘bout twenty miles north of the Humber.”

“Serendipity then, let’s get on with this study. Can I leave the freight analysis in your hands while I price the projected cost modifications to the ship, I’ll be busy on the phone all day.”

Ellie nodded and settled comfortably into that which she knew best – figures.

Much of the work that week was devoted to the new trade expansion.

When Easter arrived, Nana Charlotte took ill and regretfully had to curtail her trip north. Ellie’s father, Bill had to stay behind to look after her but nobody wanted to disappoint Callum so Ellie took him north and the Duchess of Denton was more than agreeable to looking after her only grandson at the family seat of Denton Hall. When Callum’s female cousin’s learned that they would be his sole companions they were delighted and almost immediately the four jelled together as full advantage was taken of the vast estate and the ponies that bore them around it. On the second week the weather deteriorated and the children were house-bound when not enjoying excursions to York or Leeds. Callum was introduced to Jessica who had now returned to her regular home at the York Railway Museum where she had become a virtually static exhibit.

It was during the midweek that Molly the Duchess quietly approached Ellie after the evening dinner. Ellie was in the library comparing various factors about different cargo berths as she decided on the best options. She looked up as the heavy mahogany library door latch clicked softly and Molly the Duchess stepped silently in.

“Are you terribly busy Ellie?” She asked.

Ellie smiled.

“No, not really. I was just filling in an hour before I put Callum to bed. He’s upstairs with the girls.”

“Well it’s about Callum I wish to speak.”

“Go on.” Ellie prompted suspiciously.

“Would you like to come upstairs; I wish to show you something.”

Ellie was intrigued and followed the Duchess. Upstairs they entered the girl’s bedroom wing and Molly softly opened the door to the oldest sister’s bedroom. There on the bed lay four figures in pretty nightgowns. The older girl was reading a story to the three younger ones. All four turned at the click of the latch and Callum paled when he recognised his mother. He tried to pull the eiderdown over his shoulders but it proved impossible with the others girls also lying on it. Fear began to creep into his eyes but he tried to feign casualness.

“Uh; hello Mummy!”

“Hello darling, enjoying the story?”

“Uuhm – yes.”

“What’s it about?”

“A horse who gets sold.”

“Black beauty?” The older girl Lucy elaborated.

“Oh I loved that story when I was a little girl as well,” Ellie replied.

“And me,” Molly added. “Are you enjoying it Callum?”

Callum nodded as his throat tightened.

“Well make sure you go to sleep when it’s over.” Molly finished. “Carry on Lucy and thanks for doing the story duty tonight.”

The three girls let out a collective gasp of relief as Molly and Ellie withdrew. However, both mother and grandmother stood listening outside the door as they listened to the four children expressing their relief.

“Your mum didn’t mind!” Lucy almost squealed with amazement.

Callum didn’t answer but Eleanor chipped in.

“Maybe she’ll tell you off when she puts you to bed.”

“I hope not.” Callum croaked. Can we finish the story?”

“Are you going to sleep in it?”

The youngest girl Virginia asked.

“I’d like to,” Callum replied but it’s up to mum.

“I don’t suppose she’ll let you,” Lucy finished, “and they’ll probably make you sleep in the other bedroom. I’ll finish the story anyway.”

She re-commenced reading and outside the door the Duchess turned to Ellie.

“Well. Will you?”

“Will I what?”

“Let him sleep in the nightie.”

“No harm in it I suppose.” Ellie replied, trying to sound nonchalant.

“D’you think he’s one of those?” Molly pressed.

“What d’you mean – ‘One of those’?”

“You know; a transvestite or something.”

“Would it matter if he was?” Ellie challenged the older lady.

“Well; no I suppose not, but he is in line for the dukedom.”

“His father wouldn’t have minded. Henry was very open-minded”

Molly tensed up.

“How would you know?”

“I spent three years at Cambridge with him, remember. His rowing partner in the lightweight sculls was a transvestite. Henry counted him and the other transgender girls amongst his best friends. We often went dancing and shopping with them. They are great people provided you don’t abuse them. After I got to know them, I thoroughly enjoyed their company and so did Henry.”
Molly let out a small gulp.

“Did Henry cross dress?”

“No. Well not to my knowledge and he knew I enjoyed their company so I think he would have told me if he did. We often joined in their chats when the subject came up, and it came up almost every time we went out with them. His best mate James was a transvestite. Jackie was her femme name; come to think of it, she, Jackie that is, might even be transsexual. However; to answer your question; no, Henry wasn’t a cross dresser or a transsexual as far as I knew; and I knew him intimately, we slept together almost every night in our final year. But Henry was completely tolerant of them of all Jackie's friends. That’s what I liked about him; his tolerance. He was the only toff I met who didn’t have any reserve about us ‘oiks’. That’s what drew me to him. His title actually counted against him in my eyes when we first met.
Molly let out a sigh of seeming relief.

“We’re not monsters you know.”

“But you used to be and class memories are very long in some parts of the country. Anyway, I think I can say with certainty that your son never cross-dressed around me and that was when we were married as well.”

“Well thank God for that, there’s hopes for Callum yet. Henry sometimes slept in his sister’s nighties when he was young and we all thought he was a transvestite. It was no small relief when he came home with you from Cambridge because we thought he was gay.”

“But you still disapproved of me.”

“I wondered if you were either some sort of oddball who liked transvestites or a gold-digger.”

Ellie stared hard at Molly.

“I do like transvestites and I’m proud of that, not ashamed. You know I’m not a gold digger for I never came begging for money. Since Henry died I never once came begging but I resented the fact I was never once invited to Denton with Callum after being widowed. I still associate with my and Henry’s transvestite college friends and James is still a wonderful friend to me. He was the biggest support to me when Henry was killed. He was as distraught as I was.”

“I don’t remember seeing him at the funeral.”

“He, James that is, didn’t come as such but Jackie came! Jackie is James’ female persona; James calls herself Jackie now and she lives full time as a woman. Jackie works at Chester Zoo in the Animal welfare section. She’s training to be a vet post grad at Liverpool.”

“Oh! Was that the pretty blond girl, very tall as I remember?”

Ellie gave Molly an old look.

“Of course she’s tall, she’s Trans’ but I noticed you talking to her a lot at the funeral.”

“Well she was a good conversationalist, so she was a man then! I must say I am surprised, I didn’t realise.”

Ellie bristled slightly but added.

“James is a great guy though I know her as Jackie these days. She’s ‘full time’. We still meet often, usually in Birmingham or Bristol. I find her company very fulfilling and rewarding. We’re both scientists d’ you see.”

“Oh. Ah, I understand now; so it’s a strictly platonic relationship then.”

Ellie sighed.

“Well done, you’ve got it.”

Molly frowned.

“Be patient with me Ellie, I can’t help but be concerned for my only grandson.”

Ellie smiled softly, she was getting to like Molly as her mother-in-law proved her seemingly new-found sincerity was motivated by genuine concerns and not disapproval. Ellie pushed the envelope.

“What would you do if Callum did prove to be Trans?”

“How d’you mean?”

“Well what if he turned out to be transvestite?”

“It would be very difficult to live as a duke.”

“I don’t think so Molly, leastways not in today’s climate. Things have moved on a lot in that area. He could still get married and give you great grandchildren, if you live that long.”

“But what respectable girl would marry a transvestite?”

“Excuse me Molly!! Jackie is married; her wife also works at Manchester University. They are happily married. I meet her as well; they are even talking of children. Jackie functions perfectly as a biological man and potential father. She just prefers to live as a woman.”

“Really. I’d like to meet this couple.”

“What, d’ you mean 'you'd like to meet them? You mean like ‘An audience with the duchess’?” This is twenty ten not eighteen ten! They might decide they don't want to meet you. Jackie is like most tee-people, she's very alert and sensitive to hypocrites."

Molly frowned as she sensed Ellie was censuring her.

“Don’t be silly girl. Our family is not like that at all! I thought Harry would have taught you that much at least.”

It was Ellie’s turn to grin.

“Alright then. Well I suppose could arrange it. I'll sound Jackie out, she was and still is very fond of Callum. Now the more difficult question is – What if Callum turns out to be transsexual?”

“I’m sorry, explain please.”

“What if Callum turns out to be transsexual and wants to be a woman? That would mean Genital Correction surgery?”

“What, you mean remove everything? No more babies and stuff.”

“Yes. Hormones, orchidectomy, vaginoplasty, the full works.”

“I’d be sad, disappointed about no children. Then the dukedom would definitely go out of the family.”

“It wouldn’t have to. Sperm can be frozen. Same sex marriages are legal. Callum could still father a child by freezing his sperm before he chooses gender reassignment.”

“He’d have to marry the girl first then have the op. Sallic law and all that; you know; ‘wrong side of the blanket’ illegitimacy and so on.”

Ellie grinned again.

“Boy-oh-boy! That would make some interesting case law for the heraldic courts. Two women with a legitimate son who is the legal heir to the title. The family coat of arms should prove interesting what with heraldic rules and all that stuff. I suppose the new law of Royal succession could have a bearing on Sallic law and all that.”

Molly smiled and wagged her head in confused amusement.

“Come on! I need a drink after all that, lets join the others. Anyway, Callum might just be enjoying it for the fun of playing with his cousins.”

“Whatever. I’ll chat with him about it when he’s less stressed and frightened. All I ask is you don’t scold him or make an issue of it if it persists. If it’s a problem, it’s my problem, I’m his mum.”

“Duly noted,” Molly concluded as she poured herself a sherry and offered Ellie a soft drink.

As Elli took a sip Molly studied her.

“Have you never drunk?”

Ellie nodded.

“Yes. I still do sometimes; Christmas and the like, but I was nearly raped once in high-school. I was drunk, under-age and stupid. Just put it down to growing up.”

“Well I think most of us have been there girl. Bottoms up.”

An hour later, Ellie and the Duchess crept away from the other adults again to check on the children. They found Callum curled up in Lucy’s bed with Lucy spooned around him like a protective mother. The other girls were also sharing the other bed in Lucy’s room and the Duchess smiled.

“My children often slept together, especially when very young. This place can spook a young child.”

“What, even the boys?” Ellie wondered.

“Yes, as I said, my children - all of them. They were very young and there was no central heating back then. Are you happy to let him sleep with the older girls? I’m sure he’ll come to no harm. Lucy’s a very motherly girl.”

Ellie smiled then stifled a chuckle.

“Isn’t it usually the girls who are at risk?”

Molly snorted with amusement.

“Don’t be silly he’s not yet five. What possible issues could there be? Lucy’s twelve!”

“Doctors and nurses perhaps?” Ellie giggled.

“Well we’ll put him back in his own bed then if you wish.” Molly offered.

“No, no; I was joking - honestly. Let them sleep. It might send the wrong message to him if I wake them up and separate him from them. He’s so enjoyed their company and the pony rides were a delight. There doesn’t look to be much going on at the moment. Shall we leave them?”

“I’ll warn the girls’ mother Julie you’ll be off early in the morning I’m thinking.”

“Yes. Out by seven, I want to catch the low water to check one of the tidal berths we are interested in. It’s a river berth but very handy if the dock wall and everything else is in good repair. It’s got excellent road links from the wharf to the Humber Bridge.”

Molly stared hard at Ellie.

“You cover a lot of subjects don’t you, maths, physics, law, commerce, engineering, ports and transport. Is there anything you don’t do?”

Ellie’s face darkened momentarily as a cloud seemed to cross her smile.

“I don’t seem to do mothering very well. I should see more of Callum. I’m wondering if I’ve neglected him too much. I’m wondering if this nightie thing is a product of that neglect. I’m wondering is he just wants to belong to his cousin’s gang.”

Molly nodded at the last suggestion.

“I think your last thought is closer to the bone, possibly it’s more a companionship thing. He must get lonely being an only child and he certainly enjoys his cousin’s attention and company.”

“Well I’ll try and get back early tomorrow afternoon and we might have a little chat with him then.”

“It sounds like a plan. What time about?”

“About three-ish, maybe four. They should be back from riding by then.”

Molly nodded and the arrangement was fixed.

up
329 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Wow Bev, Good for you !

I loved the pot-shot at heraldry laws and tolerance of transfolk. The generational banter between Ellie n' Molly ranks highly in all my reading here for creativity & yet tact as well. My what a life you must live still, " grow old disgracefully ",. jjc

johncorc1

Molly thawing out?

Christina H's picture

Wonderful conversation between the two of them and I loved the way Molly was corrected over her deep rooted feelings
ignorance of Trans people is the main cause of bigotry.

Loved the way the story is progressing thanks a lot. And I don't think Ellie is being a bad mum Callum has a strong family around him
with Ellie's Nan and her Dad.
Christina

Still no Title

Given the subject matter, it seems as though that may well be the perfect title!

Thanks for this wonderful tale!

Battery.jpg

This chapter was very

This chapter was very interesting and it does look like Molly is indeed starting to open up to Ellie, and not just because of Callum. I am wondering however, in this day and age, why a female cannot inherit the Title/s instead of just the males? I mean, you have Princess Anne with all sorts of titles, honorary or otherwise, plus Countesses, Duchesses, and the like, and finally the Queen herself? I would think that the Queen could change the rules as it suits her, because the rules are man made; albeit from a different age and time. Just wondering I guess. Also wondering if some property along the Humber just might be found to belong to the family from past years and they do not realize it at this moment? That would be most interesting indeed.

a night as one of the girls

at least he has an understanding parent if it turns out to be more than just an experiment

DogSig.png

Thank you Beverly,

Ellie's verbal sparring with Mollie remind me of the definition of "The Upper Crust " ------a few crumbs held together by
a bit of loose dough"! It would be lovely if Callum was trans ,that would surely sort his grand mother out . The meeting
with Jackie should prove interesting.

ALISON

And there he is.

Podracer's picture

Uncertain, a little afraid, but has the gang behind and around him. Molly and Ellie seem to be coming together some, in common cause, though there must surely be still bumps and disagreements yet ahead. They have been too separate and differently bred.
There must be spare dockside facilities up 'ere on the river, with the decline in the fishing and manufacturing. Some has been taken up by the "renewables" and the disconcerting import of solid fuels.

"Reach for the sun."

Reminds me of a 50's song. I'm sure Beverly knows it.

I'm so glad to hear Jackie is still close to Ellie, i liked that character.
As a Yank, it's fun to hear the battle of the classes. Callum already has a title, Earl.

Karen