Heir to a Title - Chapter 3

Printer-friendly version

Chapter 3.

During the holidays, the Henry and Ellie did not see each other but kept in touch by all the usual electronic means. When the next term started, the relationship had become a solid one. At the half term Henry took Ellie to meet his family at their country seat. His father and grandparents took immediately to the vivacious girl that Henry had met and Ellie tried desperately not to be over-awed by the sheer magnitude of the house and the surrounding estate. Henry’s mother however, did not much take to Ellie even though his father proved to be more accepting. More importantly, Henry’s grandfather, the old Duke proved inordinately fond of Ellie. For herself Ellie was secretly pleased that Henry was only the ‘second son’. This meant if she married Henry, she would not become burdened with some sort of titled nobility with all the duties and responsibilities that Ellie had been surprised to learn about. That position was already owned by Henry’s older brother David and his newly married wife.

When the family visit was over, Ellie was secretly relieved to return to ‘uni’ and resume the more humdrum but rewarding life of academia. During that following term, she was pleased to reinforce her friendship with the group of transvestite friends who, whilst investing their transvestite activities, also shared many varied interests without wasting time and resources pursuing the high life.

Ellie had now proved her worth as an ‘A’ class student both to herself and her maths professor. Not surprisingly, the studying proved easier than she expected. Indeed, even as a student, she was invited to ‘assist’ her professor as her genius proved its worth. Naturally the studying got easier and Ellie began to find herself with time on her hands. Consequently she eventually resumed her cycling. Out on her bike, she often spotted James and Henry sculling on the river while she circuited the city and county of Cambridge on its many attractive cycle-ways.

The railway preservation society and Henry's beloved locomotive 'Jessica' also filled a niche in her life. Despite all the grease and grime and soot, she found a perverse joy in manual work that allowed her brain to switch off as she tackled any number of maintenance tasks from laying track, to painting coaches and oiling locomotives. Often, if cab space allowed, Henry indulged her and she shared the delights of the footplate with him when Jessica was busy hauling trains.

Just as she’d always hoped, she eventually threw off her old high-school ‘blue-stocking’ image that had dogged her during her schooldays. Now in Cambridge, amongst the more intellectual company at the university she found her intellect to be more amongst the 'norm', and she began to feel more comfortable amongst her more cerebral new-found friends. Inevitably she found her life and time at college to have blossomed. That summer she invited Henry to visit her dad. In that second year their relationship strengthened and at the end of her time at university they became a firm ‘item’. She and Henry set up home together when they each found work in London. After a few more years, despite Henry’s mother having misgivings about her son living ‘brush-and-shovel’, they decided to get married. Henrys mother was forced to reconcile herself to the fact that her second son was determined to marry ‘beneath’ himself. She was mildly mollified when Henry and Ellie finally got married and continued to work in the city.

Like any couple they visited their parents regularly but the relationship Between Ellie and her mother-in-law was always difficult. However, she finally, grudgingly accepted that her second son had ‘done the decent thing’ and made Ellie an ‘honest woman’. During a family gathering to celebrate Henry’s older brother’s third daughter’s christening, Ellie smiled ironically when she heard her mother-in-law’s remark that -

‘At least Henrys children won’t be bastards! They'll inherit legitimately if they have to.’

'If she did but know!' Ellie thought

Henry could only apologise for his mother’s remark when they drove home after the weekend but Ellie was too pre-occupied to care, she simply hugged him then revealed her own special secret.

“I’m not bothered about your mother darling. It’s your old grand-dad I like. He’s a proper gent. Mothers are always overly protective of their children, anyway, so she's always going to worry about you. Oh!, and by the way I’ve got a better bit of news for you.”

“What’s that?” Henry wondered absently as he concentrated on the ever increasing traffic as the 'weekenders' returned into London on that wet Sunday evening.

Ellie felt a surge of excitement as she prepared to drop her bombshell.

“Well,” she began mysteriously, “ you'll be pleased to know I think I'm pregnant. If everything follows its natural path, your child could be born legitimately in seven and a half months.”

“Wha-att!!” Henry almost shrieked.

“You’re going to be a dad. That’s what!”

Henry almost crashed the car with sheer excitement. He hauled over into the first immediate safe parking place and his trembling hands reached out to hug his wife while she savoured his embrace. For long minutes silence reigned in the car as their emotions left them speechless, then, slowly as their shared joy returned to coherent awareness, they found sentience enough to talk and plan for all of the many material issues that beset newly to be parents

By this time Henry had earned some promotions in the Home Office in Whitehall and Ellie was assured that even if she had to give up work, Henry’s salary could support them. As a backstop, Ellie arranged to work from home and work on line for three or four days a week while her gran could help babysit for the other two days every week. Nana Charlotte had moved from Cambridge to be nearer London for her own reasons.

The baby-minding arrangements proved workable and Ellie and Henry settled down to an idyllic life. This idyll was not to last however. Some years later disaster struck the little family when Ellie was widowed by a railway crash that killed Henry whilst commuting to work. The only reminder she had of that blissful union was the beautiful son they had produced. They had called him Callum.

After Henry’s death, Ellie's financial situation took a dive. Despite Henry’s generous death benefits, living in London proved to be too expensive. Ellie was forced to move out of the city and the increased commuting proved to be too costly in time and money. After discussing the situation with her grandmother they decided that Ellie should find a different job outside of the city.

The search was started and Ellie found work in a shipping office in the south of England. Her numerical skills and sharp commercial acumen were tools enough to get her quickly recognised as a very valuable asset. Within a year of sealing her new position by dint of skill, long hours and hard work she was settled into a secure, well paid job with good prospects.

Thus established, and now looking to permanently secure a roof over their heads, Ellie cashed in Henry’s remaining death benefits to buy a half share in a pretty, rural cottage which she then shared with her grandmother. Her salary and the sale of her grandmother’s home plus her grandmother’s pension had enabled them to purchase and maintain a classic ‘dream cottage’ with ‘roses around the door’.

Eventually Ellie’s father joined them when he took early retirement and moved south. The sale of his house further enabled them to add a substantial extension to the cottage and the four generations settled down to an agreeable life with each adult enjoying a small private apartment in the cottage whilst choosing if they wished to share meal times and occasional evenings together in a large communal space at the centre of the cottage. The plan quickly proved to be an excellent arrangement.

For a few years things worked out well until, one morning there was a knock on the door. Henry’s father Harry stood there white faced and ashen. A couple of years earlier, Henry’s grandfather had suffered an accelerated death caused by the loss of his favourite grandson. Now Henry’s father was the holder of the title. That same holder of the title now stood in the cold winter rain on Ellie's door step. Seeing her father-in-law’s distressed state, Ellie quickly invited him in.

“Quickly! Come in, you'll catch your death in this! What’s wrong?” She asked as he stepped gratefully over the threshold then slumped exhausted into an arm chair while Ellie’s dad hastened to bring a pot of tea.

The ashen-faced duke looked up thankfully then whispered:-

“It’s David, my son, Henry’s older brother.”

“Go on.” Ellie prompted.

“He, - he was, - he’s been killed by a roadside bomb in Afghanistan.”

Ellie’s jaw sagged as her mind reeled. At first the implications failed to hit her as she threw her arms around her father-in-law’s shoulders.

Ellie’s own father returned to find the pair in tears and he stood uncomprehending for several seconds before recovering his wits and digging out a table from the nesting set.

“What’s wrong?”

Between sobs, Ellie finally extricated herself from Harry’s grip and explained. Her dad wagged his head in sympathy and started to pour the tea. It was several moments before Ellie had recovered enough to realise her own father hadn’t yet understood the implications. She had to explain further.

“Don’t you understand Daddy? David only had three daughters. They’ve been trying for a son but nothing yet and now nothing - ever.”

“Oh dear darling, I’m just so sorry. It must be awful.”

Ellie frowned somewhat angrily.

“Don’t you get it daddy?”

“Get what?”

Ellie sighed impatiently as she motioned to Harry to explain.

“Harry looked up at William through tear stained eyes.”

“It means Bill that I have lost both my children; both my sons. Callum; your grandson, our grandson; that is, my only grandson by my youngest son Henry, is now the inheritor of the dukedom and the estates that go with the title. Ellie’s son is the future Duke of Denton.”

Silence fell as realisation took hold. Finally Ellie’s father spoke.

“But that won’t affect Callum for some years yet!”

Harry wagged his head slowly before continuing.

“I’ve been diagnosed with prostate cancer. They say it’s curable because they’ve caught it very early. I’ve been lucky but I’ll not be living forever. It’s reminded me of my own mortality.”

“So what are you saying? Are you suggesting that Callum goes to live in that great barn of a place - Denton Hall?”

Harry paused thoughtfully.

“No-oo, not exactly ... but I think if he’s to adjust to his changed circumstances, it might not do any harm if he learns of his future inheritance and becomes familiarised with what might be expected of him.”

William wagged his head uncertainly.

“You make it sound like some sort of Victorian melodrama. This is the twenty first century.”

Harry hesitated again then explained somewhat apologetically.

“There’s a lot depending on the survival of the estate. Over three quarters of the land is an SSI. It covers a large chunk of heath and moorland that used to be a large shooting estate for pheasant drives. The heath-land is one of the last bastions of several rare species of reptiles, amphibians and plants in the north of England. There is a lot of pressure for building land and mineral extraction. I’ve already been approached by the National trust concerning the continuity of the estate. David’s untimely death throws a lot of carefully laid plans into turmoil. We’ve already set the trust and inheritance wheels in motion for Callum and the longer I live, the better the outcome, otherwise inheritance taxes will cripple the estate.

Even if I survive for the next seven years, Callum will still be far short of his majority. There’s need for legal caretaker and executive arrangements until he’s eighteen if I die before then. I’m only trying to protect his rightful inheritance.”

William frowned and turned to Ellie.

“So; what’s your take darling?”

“I’m happy living here in the cottage. Nan, you, me and Callum; it’s just perfect and what’s more, I enjoy my new job. The boss is a good employer, she’s kind and considerate and always allows me time off when Callum’s ill or got something special on at school. I don’t want to give up my job. It’s rewarding and I would feel I was betraying her after all the kindness she’s shown me.”

“So you want to stay here.” William concluded.

“For now yes. Harry is okay for the moment so let’s continue as we have been doing. Callum can perhaps spend more time with Harry and the duchess. She is after all his only grandmother. Nana Charlotte is his great grandmother.”

The duke heaved a soft sigh of relief.

“I was hoping you’d be agreeable. I’m quite sure David’s wife would be more than happy to look after Callum when he comes over. Plus her three daughters can also keep him entertained.”

Ellie nodded as she added.

“Yes. He’s very fond of his paternal cousins. I’m a single child so Callum has no cousins on my side. Could Nana Charlotte come with him? She idolises her grandson.”

“Of course.” The duke spread his hands expansively. “There’s plenty of room.”

Ellie sighed gratefully for it meant she could continue with her job in the shipping offices. She had now become thoroughly immersed in her job as ‘Girl Friday’ to the lady called Beverly who owned and ran the shipping company out of Poole in Dorset. The work provided her with many varied and interesting tasks that got her out and about around the harbour. Sometimes she even occasionally visited foreign places as her boss began to find Ellie’s sharp brain to be a useful and sometimes indispensable companion. Ellie felt guilty about asking for more time off because her lady boss had already indulged her generously during Ellie’s move south and her prolonged search for the cottage. Allowing Nana Charlotte to accompany Callum and stay regularly at the Ducal Seat would prove a boon to Ellie’s mobility. She bent down and kissed the duke on his balding patch.

“Thanks Harry, I’m sure Callum would be delighted. He always talks of the pond and the horses.”

The duke looked up and smiled. The relief was evident in his eyes.

“Thanks Ellie; it’s important for your son to learn of his duties and responsibilities. It’s not all coronets and ermine. These days the estate needs careful husbandry if it’s to remain intact and viable, not to mention maintaining the house.”

“Well there’s no need to burden him with all that just yet, he’s still just a little boy.”

“Where is he by the way?”

“Still at school. I’ll be collecting him at three.”

“May I join you? Best we get re-acquainted as soon as –. I’m afraid I’ve been a bit remiss in keeping contact with you and Callum. Mostly my wife you understand. She never was keen on you but I’m as much to blame. He is my grandson after all and I should have put my foot down. I will in future and your family will always be welcome. There’s an open invitation to stay any time as long as you like and as often as you like. If you come to live with us, it would be even better. There's plenty of room, you know the house well. “

Ellie nodded as she went to make some more tea. Nana Charlotte had anticipated the on-going hospitality duties and met her at the kitchen door with a tray of cups, cakes, biscuits, milk and sugar. The teapot was soon to follow as Nana Charlotte got organised.

“You take the cakes through; I’ll bring a fresh pot. Just Fancy, our Callum a duke! I knew Henry was posh but a duke no less!”

“Don’t go running away with yourself Nan,” Ellie grinned, “being a duke these days is nothing like when you were a girl. Harry has to watch the pennies just like all of us.”

They chatted over tea until Ellie reminded them of the time.

“We’ll have to fetch Callum, come on.”

The journey to the school proved an ideal moment for Ellie and her father-in-law to iron out several wrinkles regarding the new relationship between Ellie and her in-laws. Fortunately, Harry was fully in agreement for the bottom line was that Callum was the only surviving heir to the title if it was to remain in the family. Harry chatted at length with his daughter in law, mainly apologising for neglecting them since Henry’s death. Ellie felt a little resentful that now Callum was the last repository for the dukedom to remain in and with the family name, the family were beginning to show an interest. However, she knew the main fault lay with the duchess not Henry’s father or more particularly Henry’s now departed grandfather. The last duke had always made Ellie most welcome. She was prepared to forgive them for the sake of Henry’s memory and the old grandfather whom she had truly loved. However she was not prepared to let Callum’s birthright cause a breakup of her own little family circle.

They arrived at the school and Ellie could not help but notice the different response Callum used towards his grandfather. The little child was cautious and reserved as they were introduced whereas with the old duke Callum would have simply flung himself into his great-grand-father’s arms and demanded a story. She put the different responses down to the fact that Callum’s father had hardly seen the boy whereas Callum was never far from his old great grandfather when Henry had been alive. It was the old duke who had introduced the child to the joys of swimming in the pond during hot summer days. This was despite paying visitors staring aghast at the seeming abuse of the great estate until they learned that the old man enjoying a swim in the pond was in fact the owner of the great house and the surrounding landscaped scenery. Now Callum was set to inherit everything.

On the return journey Harry noticed Callum’s reserve and explained to Ellie.

“I’ll have to break the ice with him. Dad was wonderful with him, I’m not sure I can work the same magic.”

“If he comes to stay often enough, he’ll get to like you. Just do all the stuff your dad used to do. It’s your estate now, you’re in charge.”

Harry sensed the hidden suggestion and nodded sagely.

“You mean don’t let his grandmother the duchess get her claws into him.”

“Would she really be cruel to a little boy? He is her only grandson after all.”

“I’m sure she’ll change now he’s the come by the title. He’s automatically an earl now you know, the Earl of Chartmoor. That’s the name of the great heath on the estate that is of such concern to the national trust’s wild-life department. The snakes and the lizards you understand, all very rare and endangered. Fortunately I know his cousins; that’s David’s daughters you understand, dote on him. Things will work out I’m sure.”

Ellie smiled to reassure the Duke.

“They will. I’ll make sure of that. In fact I’ll bring him up for the Easter weekend and maybe he could stay for the Easter holidays. Perhaps you or one of the staff could bring him back or I’ll fetch him.”

“Oh, I was hoping sooner than Easter.”

“I can’t get away, Nana would have to bring him up by train, or you pick him up in a car. It’s a long drive from here to Yorkshire. Besides, there’s his schooling. He’ll be going up to a new school this summer with all his friends and stuff. I want to try and maintain some continuity in his life. He's lonely enough as it is, what with being an only son and living out here in the cottage.”

“We could enrol him in a prep school. The attendance regulations tend to be less onerous.”

“What, you mean residential?”

The duke sensed Elli’s disapproval.

“Well, yes. They’re very good with young children.”

“For heaven’s sake he’ll only just have turned seven. No way. He stays here with me and the family. He’s already lost his dad; let’s not take his mum away as well.”

“But prep school would prepare him for Eton!”

“Eaton!” Ellie squeaked. “Who said anything about Eaton?”

“The Duke’s of Denton have always gone to Eaton. It’s a family tradition. The education is superb.”

Ellie shook her head then explained.

“Callum’s bright. He’s already inherited my head for figures and Henry was no slouch. He won’t need all the trappings of Eaton to progress his life. I’ll let him decide that as and when he’s thirteen.”

“But we’d have to put his name down now.”

“Okay! Put his name down then by all means, but that doesn't make it a certainty. Nothing's cast in stone. That just gives him the option but the issue will be decided as and when.”

Harry fell silent but repeated his hope.

“I’d still like him to come over before Easter. He can get to know his grandmother and that’s important.”

“I’ll let him come with his great grandmother. Then he’ll have a chaperone.”

Harry grinned.

“You make it sound as though he's at risk or something but yes, a chaperone might be good idea so that he's got a familiar face with him.
Well I must be gone, there’s a funeral to arrange. I hope you’ll come to that.”

“Of course I will; I liked David. He and Henry were very alike. It’s such an awful loss.”

“Indeed Ellie. I’ve lost both my sons to violent deaths.”

Ellie teared up slightly and gently kissed the duke on the cheek.

“We’ll be there Harry, all the family including Callum. Now have some tea before your taxi comes. I wish you would stay the night.”

“Thank you but I must get on. I’ve got to meet with his regimental commander in London concerning the funeral. David died on active service.”

“Of course.”

They sat drinking tea until the taxi swept onto the front path then Ellie watched him depart down the road. Inside she discussed the issue with her dad.

“What d’ you think?”

“So long as they don’t try to kidnap him and mould him into one of their own.”

“Oh I’ll make sure they won’t! My only worry is the Duchess. She and I never hit it off.”

“That’s going to have to change. After all, she is his only grandmother.”

“And Nana Charlotte is his only great grandmother.”

At that moment Ellie’s grandmother returned to the drawing room.

“I am indeed. Don’t worry darling. Whenever Callum goes up there, I’ll see to it they don’t brainwash him.”

They all chuckled and sat down to table.

Two weeks later, they attended Ellie’s brother-in-law David’s funeral at the village church next to the Denton estate. It was orchestrated with full pomp and ceremony by his regiment and Ellie was quite moved by the occasion. She was actually wiping some tears from her eyes when the duchess appeared at her side. She was also crying.

“I’m going to miss him. It makes Henry’s death even more painful now I’ve lost all my sons.”

Ellie turned and nodded and was surprised when the duchess reached out.

“I’ve been wrong to judge you as I have.”

“How so?” Ellie asked, slightly on the defensive.

“Callum’s a lovely child. He’s a credit to you. Last night he and David’s daughters shared the evening with me while you discussed the arrangements. The girls love him and that says a lot. I hope you’ll bring him often.”

“As often as we can and if he’s agreeable. He’s a sensitive child but a very bright one. He’s inherited both my and Henry’s brains.”

“Indeed. Henry was the brightest of my children. Getting to Cambridge proved that. You were a state scholar I understand. You must be extremely bright.”

Ellie tried to play her brains down. Back in the mundane world of less academic people she hid her light under a bush.

“Oh it's not like that. Math’s is the easiest scholarship to win. You either get it right or wrong. Henry had to work harder to get in with English and history. Those subjects depend more upon the assessor’s subjectivity.”

“He had to cram hard at Eaton. I remember all the hard work and tears.” The duchess allowed.

“Exactly,” Ellie replied. “He often had to write long essays with lot's of research; especially the history stuff. Maths was a doddle for me though the physics was a drudge. It was too mundane and predictable, at least at undergraduate level. If I hadn’t taken the double degree, I could have been a really flighty dolly bird and still won a first in Maths alone. Instead I chose to face a challenge.”

“But you didn’t return to the Ivory tower. Call me Molly by the way please. We can’t continue as combatants. It’s wont good for Callum.”

Ellie smiled and relaxed.

“I’m glad you said that. It’s all about Callum now. He’s got his life to consider and the dukedom will weigh heavily when he comes to realise.”

“Of course. Has Harry told you about his prostate?”

“Yes but it’s not life threatening is it?” Ellie frowned.

“Not right now but it could erupt again at any time. Long term plans mustn’t be too optimistic. I hoped you signed the inheritance papers.”

“Oh yes." Ellie confirmed. "I understand the issues. It will be seven years before the estate is free of potential death duties. Harry will have to live for the next seven years. And of course, there’s the trust arrangements.”

“So are you happy to be an estate executor and trustee should Harry die earlier?”

“Yes, of course. I deal with a lot of law back in Poole with my job. Acting as an executor for Callum is something I’ve been agreeable to since learning of David’s death. I’ve also helped my boss in Poole make her will. That was a major exercise because she owns a shipping line and she’s adopted several transgendered children. It’s all very complicated.”

“But you’re not a lawyer.”

Not yet but I’m studying in my spare time.”

“Gosh, you’re a busy girl aren’t you? How do you find the time?”

“Studying comes naturally. I was state scholar don’t forget. Law is logical and that’s easy for a mathematician. It’s the interpretations and case-law that require the reading. I’m taking my articles in two years; I am studying in my spare time d’ you see.”

“You amaze me girl. It’ll be good to have a lawyer on the team; one in the family as it were. One who we all know will have Callum’s interests at heart. Come on. Let’s go and face the others. I’m glad we’ve had this talk”

“Lead on your grace.”

“Oh call me Molly please. We are family after all. You are the mother of my only grandson and he is now an earl.”

Ellie grinned to herself as they rejoined the rest of the family.

up
346 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thank you Beverly,

Another great chapter but Ellie working for a lady called Beverly who owns a shipping line ? Now that rings a bell ! Young Callum is going
to have to grow up quickly ,poor child.

ALISON

great

great to see you back. I wonder does the '"duchess" really care about cullam? looks like a plot about. again great to see more of your stories on bc. keep up the good work.
robert

001.JPG

the kid is an Earl?

that's gonna be interesting ...

DogSig.png

I hope that Ellie and

I hope that Ellie and Charlotte both keep a very close eye on Molly, because I do not trust her in the least. She is too sudden being nice to Ellie, and it seems to me just because her son Callum has all the marbles now.

Hmmmm!

Christina H's picture

I agree with everyone else I don't trust Molly in the slightest going to have to watch that woman.

But the story is enchanting and progressing very well I love the title too

Christina

Changed future

Podracer's picture

Callum is in for a big change in life and lifestyle. His close family seems sound, I bet he's going to need them at hand more than ever. When are we going to meet him?

"Reach for the sun."

I'm a yank, and ...

Jezzi Stewart's picture

may be mistaken, but since the story is set in the present wouldn't David's eldest daughter inherit?

BE a lady!

Brush and shovel?

". . .despite Henry’s mother having misgivings about her son living ‘brush-and-shovel’, they decided to get married."
For some reason, this b-and-s phrase brought a smile to my face, but I don't really know the etymology. Can anybody help a clueless Colonial? ;-)
Hugs, Miriam

Google doesn't know either

If Google doesn't know, who does? We best ask Beverly. Would you clue us in, Beverly, please?

Much Love,

Valerie R

Brush

Podracer's picture

and shovel, what a great phrase, I hadn't heard it before. I read it as a local name for "livin' in sin", or cohabiting.

"Reach for the sun."

Ellie has lost touch with her

Ellie has lost touch with her Cambridge friend Jackie/James ? That's too bad.
It would be nice to have a friend her age after the death of Henry.
Wonderful story Beverly.

Karen

I do get attached

some of the characters I was saddened when Henry died.

Old news

Monique S's picture

I agree, "Molly's" U-turn is all but trustworthy.
Beverley is incorporating herself into the story as the (Trans)lady owner of the shipping company, it seems?
Anyway:
The latest news to girls inheriting tiles is that there is law in the making but on the back boiler.

This might clear some doubts: www(dot)npr(dot)org/sections/parallels/2014/01/15/262741340/the-downton-abbey-law-would-let-british-women-inherit-titles.

Hugs,
Monique.

Monique S