A Love So Bold - Chapter 54 - 57

Printer-friendly version

LoveSoBold_0.jpgA Love So Bold
by Anon Allsop

The story continues - Hope you enjoy!

-Fifty Four-

"Hannah..." Gideon called out softly. He was standing at the end of a wagon with Charles behind him. She looked up from her project of wiping mud from Emma's hands and face with a wet cloth, and then handed the cloth to Rachel to finish.

She stood and looked toward her husband who was standing still. "Are you coming in for breakfast?" she asked, moving toward him. "Em found out that mud was pretty fun to squish in her hands and..." she had a puzzled look on her face as he had remained slightly hidden behind the wagon.

"You have me concerned, Gideon... what are you hiding behind you?" She cautiously walked toward him as he stepped out from the wagon.

He smiled broadly, "We have Charles to thank, Hannah."

She slowly approached and began to look past Gideon, where Charles stood with reins in his hand. Behind him, attached to the reins stood her magnificent thoroughbred!

"Blackie..." She whispered his name almost reverently, crossing the distance between them quickly. "How... where did you find him?" Her hands gently touched him; he seemed to still his head and press it into her body like a hug.

She was crying through her smile, as she looked back toward Gideon. "Was he the horse that was stuck..."

"The river mud covered him from tip to tail." He stepped up beside her and put his arm around her slender waist. "Sheer determination and grit seemed to push him across that damn river. It was the mud on the banks that almost did him in."

Her eyes slowly took in the big horse's body, and cuts and scratches were all over him. Even from her cursory look, she could tell he had lost weight from not being cared for. "Will he be okay?" She looked from Gideon to Charles and then back to the horse.

Charles spoke up, "As near as we can tell, nothing is broke. He's thin and just plum tuckered out from fighting his way across that river." He then added, "Can't figure out if he tried to come across before the big rains came or after... we've been guessing that it was before."

"The current would have been moving too fast for him to swim if he waited until after. We'll have to keep an eye on him for a few days to make sure he didn't get some of that water in his lungs." He smiled and squeezed her hand.

"Oh, thank you, Charles, thank you both! You don't have any idea of what this means to me... Pa's horse… back where he belongs!"

Tears were still in her eyes as she stood admiring the last link she had with her parents. After losing him at what she thought was for good, he suddenly turned up. Gideon gently gave her shoulder a squeeze. "Come on, honey, let me get him fed and bedded down..."

Hannah handed him the reins, "Cade will be so happy to know that Blackie is back with us once again!" She was still beaming when she left him to care for the exhausted animal.

She slipped into their camp and crouched beside the fire as Cade was pushing sticks into the coals to keep it going. Off to one side, Rachel was quietly playing with Emma.

She wiggled her finger to Cade; he stood and walked to her side of the fire. "Am I in trouble?"

She laughed and hugged him, "Nope." She jostled his hair and smiled, "Mr. Bloom and Pa have a surprise to show you." He was puzzled, but she continued. "Papa is tending to the animals right now, so you'll find him there."

He turned and quietly left the camp in search of his father. Hannah stood and walked toward Rachel, "I think he will be mighty surprised!

She took a seat beside Rachel, as she sat she smoothed her dress out underneath. "Mister Bloom and Pa found Blackie."

She turned toward Hannah, her eyes widened showing the sky blue of her iris even more. "Really? Was he alright?" She smiled broadly, knowing how much Hannah had loved that horse.

She added, "They think he'll be fine. He'll need to be watched to be certain though."

Rachel hugged Hannah tightly, "I'm glad he was found by someone who will love and take care of him." She paused as her own words sank into her mind even further, "I guess he and I are a lot alike, finally safe being with people who love us."

Hannah felt her throat tighten with emotion, hugging the girl she nodded, "I couldn't agree more..." The child's innocent words tugged at Hannah; they probably shouldn't have, but in her pregnant condition, everything seems to cause some sort of emotional response.

-Fifty Five-

Three days later, they were again on the trail. The mud from the recent storms made it nearly impossible to navigate the trail; they were constantly either digging out the oxen, mules or wagons. At best, they were only travelling six to seven miles each day.

Every person among the train knew the weather would sometimes slow them, and they were right. Fortunately the The Dalles was growing ever closer, and each day they advanced to their destination.

Hannah looked into the wagon; there the girls were quietly playing. Her eyes were then drawn through the wagon to Blackie. Once again he was tied to the back of the wagon, only this time he walked quietly with Cade perched upon the saddle.

Under her watchful supervision around the big horse, she knew she couldn’t always protect Cade. But knowing she herself had ridden alone at around the same age, she had to trust in the Lord to watch over him. Cade looked up just as she had turned, and he smiled when their eyes made contact.

“He’ll be fine.” Gideon nodded, “You’ve taught him well.” He leaned over and kissed her, “You are a hell of a good mother to the children. You do know that, don’t you?”

Hannah smiled and shrugged; she was never one to boast…but yes, she thought that somehow she had become a good mother. Deep down, aside from what had made her a copy of Hannah, somehow these children had pushed past being mere inconveniences of her transformed self, to one of acceptance and maternal protection like her mother once held over her - Ezrah.

What had happened? she asked herself. How had she changed without realizing it? How was it she had become so maternal? Hannah knew that something – or perhaps many things - had happened along the way, something that helped her accept the changes. At this point though, did it really matter? The changes had run their course and left her as a mother of three, with one on the way.

She again looked backward, satisfied that Cade was riding as she had taught him, and she turned and faced forward. Gideon had been watching her for several long seconds. She noticed and smiled, and he returned that smile.

“Look up toward the front of the train.” He motioned with his head, “We’re approaching The Dalles.”

There were tears welling in her eyes as the realization set in that they were now approaching the last real leg of their journey. She closed her eyes and said a silent prayer of thankfulness, her gratitude for getting them this far safely, evident in her tears.

“Are you alright?” he asked. Deep down Gideon knew why she had tears. Had he been a female, he would have had them too. They had both lost so much on this journey, although Hannah had given up far more.

-Fifty Six-

The cold rains from only days ago were thankfully traded for cool but dry ones. However, October meant that the biting snow of winter would soon arrive. Gideon worried of being trapped here if a sudden blizzard came upon them without warning, as it had happened before to travelers along the trail even earlier than October.

Hannah saw his concern, but instead tried to distract him by speaking of their pleasant change of scenery. "It's so nice to finally see real trees…and so many of them!"

He nodded, "These are some tall pines." Finally inhaling deeply, he smiled at her, "Reminds me a bit of Wisconsin."

"Except with mountains…"

He laughed, "There are places in Wisconsin near as rough as this land, but you're right... except for the mountains."

Hannah looked over her shoulder at Cade and Rachel, peeking over the back of their seat. "Is Em still sleeping?" The youngsters glanced quickly back and then each nodded.

Gideon turned slightly toward the back, but his vision was obstructed by their belongings and spare wagon parts. "How's your horse?” he finally asked, giving up trying to see for himself.

Hannah turned in her seat and pushed her bonnet from her head as it was getting in the way. As it fell to her narrow shoulders, she replied. "He's still back there."

Gideon laughed, "He's probably happier to be back there instead of fending for himself on the other side of the river."

Cade blurted out, "Wouldn't you be happier being with your family too?"

Gideon smiled at his son, "I guess I would at that." He again looked at Hannah; she was sitting quite straight and again studying the thick medical book. He knew better than to try and dissuade her from learning what she could way out here. Also, having someone who had a rudimentary knowledge of medicine would be helpful.

Even though he had been married to this stunning beauty for most of his adult life, there was something intangible that distinguished her personality from the original. She felt him staring and glanced up, holding her finger at the last place she had read.

"You're staring at me again," she laughed, tucking several strands of straying red hair behind an ear.

Gideon smiled, "Can't help it." He looked up to the front of the train; Vance was slowly picking their way toward them. "We must be getting close to The Dalles."

Hannah sat up and tried to see if there was some sort of sign or something that would prompt him. "How do you know?"

With a laugh he pointed off to the side of the trail, "Vance is coming." Within a minute they had pulled closer to him, he smiled and tipped his hat to Hannah as he approached.

Vance wheeled his horse so he could walk it alongside Gideon and Hannah, "The Dalles are right ahead, we're planning on pushing on though since we still have a good bit of daylight left and the weather has been holding out for travel."

Gideon nodded, How far to the toll gate?"

Vance lifted his hat and wiped the sweat from inside. Even though it was October, it was very warm. As he placed his hat once again upon his head he pointed as if they were on a street in a busy city. "Once we're past The Dalles, we turn south and it'll take us right to the Barlow Gate."

Hannah leaned forward so she could speak, "Do you know how much it will be to use the road?"

Vance slowly shook his head, "The last time I was here it was near to $5 per wagon. I imagine it will be near-on to that still, though they do charge extra for the stock."

His words left Hannah speechless; she sank back into her seat and worried like the woman she had become. Gideon whistled through his teeth, "And I thought them folks back at the Green were robbers."

Leaning on his saddle horn, Vance laughed. "I figure they'll charge as much as a man can pay. Dover, the wagon master that had been leading us up until we separated, once told me that he heard of a railroad man who was a-fixin to build a train rail all the way west...said that trips like we're on here will become a thing of the past real soon."

Gideon eyed him suspiciously, unsure of whether Vance was pulling his leg or not. When Vance never changed his expression, he decided that what his friend said must be true.

"So our trip out here is all for naught?" Hannah asked. "Maybe we should have taken the river."

Gideon shook his head, "Too many die on the river, them that don't know it will surely perish." He looked lovingly toward Hannah. "She ain’t a forgiving thing, that river…I couldn't live if anything were to happen to you or the children.”

Vance sat up straighter as he always did for the beautiful Hannah, "Ma'am, I wouldn't go as far as say what you did about coming out here. It'll be a few years yet before folks come this way by train... but once they do, the good land will fill up fast."

"That’s a good reason for us to keep moving and not dally. We'll make sure to stake out a place for ourselves first!" Gideon gave her a reassuring pat on the leg, "We'll be alright, you'll see."

-Fifty Seven-

A day and a half later they reached the Barlow Toll Gate. It wasn't much more than a shack that was sitting along the trail. There was a long thin tree balanced that completely blocked the entrance, making it impossible to go around. The tree was raised only to allow a wagon to pass.

A little man allowed passage only after each wagon paid the toll, and then one by one they were allowed to enter the trail. Those who had little or no money would sell off what they could until enough was raised.

The wagons were lined up in a row, each driver paying the short man as he moved among the wagons. He walked to the side of their wagon and climbed up on the wheel as soon as it had stopped. “To use the Barlow is 5 dollars…cash money - your stock will be extra.” Eyeing the wagon and what stock they had he shrugged, “Look like you owe me 18 dollars and 50 cents.

Hannah gasped, “You can’t be serious?! It’s also obvious you can’t add; it should be less than 15 dollars! ”

The little man shrugged, “I charge what I charge. If you ain’t got it…pull off to the side. No pay means no use of the road,” he replied flatly. Looking sternly at Gideon he drawled, “Keep a tight rein on that missus of yourn, she pisses me off any more and it’ll be an even 20!”

Gideon frowned, reaching for the money and handing it to the man. “Word gets out what you are charging; you may be hard pressed to have users for your road.”

He counted the bills as Gideon handed them over, “As long as folks like you keep on coming, I’ll get my pay.” He climbed down, smiled at Hannah and tipped his hat. “Now if you would kindly get in line with the other wagons, I have some money to make.”

Hannah leaned out, “Sir, what is the story about those folks over there?” She pointed to a wagon off to one side.

He stepped out where he could look beyond their wagon, “That’s the Roland’s. They don’t have enough to pay the toll, so they’re selling what they can to raise funds.”

“Don’t you have a heart?” she chastised him. “It will be winter soon!”

He spat on the ground, “Ma’am, I’m a business man, and frankly I don’t care if they’re asshole deep in snow; if they can’t pay…they don’t go. He turned and walked to the next wagon in line.

As Gideon began to pull away, Hannah watched the older man and woman who were trying to sell what they could to have enough money for the trail. Her heart went out to these people. Gideon noted the sadness in her eyes, knowing that she would want to help in any way she could.

He smiled, thinking that she was so unlike the original, who thought only of herself. This one though…her heart was as big as the country they were traveling in. He pulled out of the line and directed the team to the side, setting the brake.

Hannah was surprised as he began to climb toward the ground turned, and lifted her down. “We have some real rough country to pass through up ahead, so we can’t be having any extra weight,” he whispered.

She looked into his eyes, and smiled, “Have I told you lately that I love you?”

He grinned as he put his arm around her narrow waist and led her to the couple, “Probably, but it’s always good to hear.” He turned back toward their wagon, “Cade, Rachel…watch Emma and stay put.”

The man stood beside his wagon, with a faint look of hope in his eyes. “Morning, folks!” He called out cheerfully.

Gideon walked toward him and extended his hand, “I’m Gideon Shepherd and this here is my wife, Hannah.”

“How do, ma’am. I’m Forrest Roland.” He tipped his hat and turned toward his wife and motioned for her to come up, “This is Vic, short for Victoria.”

Hannah smiled at Forrest and his wife, and Gideon gave her a nod. “The little robber said you was looking to sell off some items so you could raise up some money to use the trail.”

The older man scowled and glared toward the toll collector working his way down the wagons. “We’ve had a tough go of it, that’s for sure.” He frowned with embarrassment and looked down at the ground, “When we arrived here near to three weeks ago, we had no money to our name. We sold Vic’s china, my gun and several extra wagon parts.”

“We’re still about six dollars shy of having enough,” his wife added sadly.

The man took Gideon by his elbow and directed him to his wagon, “Please come see if there is anything you could use, anything you can spare will be helpful. I ain’t asking for no handouts, no sir. If you want something that I have, we can dicker on a fair price.”

Gideon peered over the back of the wagon as the man lowered the end gate. There wasn’t much left that he felt he could use, but then he noticed several bundles of twigs with the bottoms wrapped in wet leather. “What’s in all the bundles?”

The man quickly exchanged a look with his wife, reluctantly he answered, “The wife and I are from the east coast…Virginia way. Those bundles are what were left of the vineyard we once owned. We set aside some young roots so we could start up again in the valley.”

“Grapes?!” Hanna asked, astonished. “Papa had a small arbor that grew back in Indiana. It was a start from some he got from a great aunt.”

The little man nodded, “These are Concord grapes.” He said smiling and lifted out a bundle. Using his thumbnail he gently scratched through the root to show the green underneath. “They’re still alive after all that we’ve been through! You should have seen me watering them back a ways when there was barely any water…but momma and I made do.”

Hannah held the bundle that he was showing; Gideon could see she was deep in thought.

“How many bundles do you have?” she finally asked.

The old man smiled proudly, “We’ve over two hundred bundles, there’s close to twenty-five roots per bundle.”

Gideon asked, “You’re going to need a chunk of ground for that many plants.” As he spoke he watched Hannah wander off, still deep in thought.

“Lord willing, if we can get back on the trail there,” he replied frankly.

Gideon sadly looked around him, “Mister, I’d love to be able to help, but there isn’t anything here that I really can use that wouldn’t put extra weight in our wagon.”

From behind them Hannah spoke softly, “Excuse me sir.” She held several folded bills. Both men turned back toward her as she spoke, “I will pay you exactly twenty-five dollars for twenty-five bundles…on two conditions.”

As she was speaking, Vic stepped from their wagon and stood beside Forrest; her eyes were smiling and searching her husband’s eyes in hope. He stood a bit straighter and studied the small woman with the flaming red hair. “And what would they be?”

She looked toward Gideon, who was standing off to the side with his arms folded, a smile playing on his face. She continued, “One, that you keep them healthy all the way to the Willamette Valley, and two…”

Forrest exchanged a glance with Gideon; who shrugged and deferred to his wife. “…and two, you help us pick out good land that will help them grow.” She held out her hand and waited.

He eyed Hannah’s hand, and then looked toward his wife who nodded vigorously. “Mrs. Shepherd, for that, I’ll even plant them for you too!”

He grasped her hand and shook it vigorously, a relieved smile spread upon both his and his wife’s face. “It’s a deal, ma’am, bless you!” He quickly hugged his wife and spun her in a circle, “Looks like we’re on the trail again, Vic! We even have enough to buy us some much needed supplies!”

As they began to walk back toward their wagon, Gideon put his arm around Hannah’s shoulder. “Part of your father’s money?” he asked. “You probably paid him too much. You know that, don’t you?”

She nodded, “I’m okay, and I look at it as an investment toward our future. Besides, Papa always liked his wine when he had an opportunity to drink it, so I don’t look at as wasted money.” She glanced up at him, “Do you?”

“It’s your money, if you want to buy bundles of grape roots with it…so be it.” He smiled and gave her a loving squeeze.

She looked up at him, “Don’t be that way, Gideon. If we make a go out here, and are successful, we’ll all benefit.”

He smiled and kissed her cheek, “All for one…”

“And one for all…” She said and then stopped suddenly, looking at him, “You’ve read Alexandre Dumas too?”

He smiled, and helped her climb back up into their wagon, “I read it sometime back in 1854 or ’55. I rather enjoyed the story, in fact…somewhere in the back of our wagon is my copy.”

She peered over the edge at him as he was just placing his foot on the spoke of their wheel, “You never cease to amaze me, Mr. Shepherd.”

He began his climb. “That’s good to know,” he replied smiling.

As they settled into their bench, Gideon turned to Hannah. "But…grape roots?"

She smiled, "The soil may not be decent enough for regular farming like you may be used to. All grapes need is warm temperatures, some sun and a good amount of water."

He shrugged and nodded, "While I'm not sure on the warm temperatures, I've heard they get plenty of rain out here." Then he grinned and asked, "I don't want to throw dirt on your fire, honey, but do you think you can make a living off of raising grapes? I mean, do you know how to care for them or make wine for that matter?"

She smiled, indicating the wagon they had just left with a nod from her head, "With his help, and whatever I can find in a book."

He sighed, and then studied her face for several long seconds. "You know, I've a feeling that once you've set your mind on something... you see it all the way through!" He gave the reins a quick snap which set their mules to moving. "I have a feeling I'll be on the learning end of your grape growing and wine making project."

Hannah giggled lightly at his comment, "It'll be three years before we could make any wine; the vines that papa had were nearly forty years old by the time we moved."

Gideon whistled through his teeth, "I'll be an old man by then."

She smiled, "You won't be old. Besides, everything we do now will go toward the children someday."

He leaned over her and kissed her cheek, "That's why I love you so much! You are always thinking of the future... and always with me and our children in mind."

She hugged his nearer arm, her shawl sliding off her shoulder, which caused her to reposition it. "Thank you, Gideon. I told myself long ago that if I was going to step into this role, I was going to make the best of it for as long as I live."

"Now, all we have to do is live through to the end of this journey!" He followed the wagon ahead of him through the gate, followed by Charles and Arden and then by Forrest and Vic.

Hannah peered over her shoulder at Rachel and Cade. Emma was sleeping soundly on the blanket shroud, folded and stacked in the corner. Both of them scooted closer to the wagon's bench so they could see past their parents.

"What is this place?" asked Cade.

"This is the Barlow Toll Road, children; we're on the last leg of our journey!" He glanced quickly back, trying to see the expression on their faces. He wasn't disappointed either, for both were grinning broadly.

Forward and into the late evening they rolled. The wagons were in single file, squeezing between trees with barely room to pass. Off and on it would snow, it wasn't much at first, but when it did, the biting cold reminded them that winter was not far away.

As the days built upon others, the little train moved forward toward their destination, often stopping to cut trees and fight their way through the meager openings. By the time the evening would fall upon them, the participants of the train were exhausted and would fall asleep as soon as their eyes were closed.

The air grew sharply colder as the wind picked up. They had to begin wrapping themselves in blankets as they rolled along. At one point, when they had stopped for the evening, Hannah began to search for warmer clothing for the children because they needed it.

Hannah unpacked the coats that up until now had been stored in a trunk. She kept Em wrapped in blankets, but she had nothing for Rachel. During the course of several days, she bartered with another family for a couple of sheepskins with thick wool still on them, and began to make a coat for Rachel.

Rachel was beyond excited when Hannah would have her try it on and then make adjustments so it would fit better. Somehow, she just had the knack, and the coat turned out beautifully.

"I promise you that we'll fix the ties with proper fasteners, maybe some ivory doodads with crochet eyelets that they push through," Hannah said as she had Rachel turn slowly around. "Is it warm?"

Rachel beamed because it was made with the wool was on the inside. There were appreciative tears in her eyes. "It is so very warm! Thank you so much!" Hannah kissed her and they hugged, "I don't think I've ever had such a wonderful coat!"

Gideon walked back to the fire and set down his rifle; in his other hand were two rabbits. "Sometime tomorrow, when we get out of this thick tree cover... you're going to see the most stupendous sight that you ever laid eyes on."

Cade stood, "What's that, Pa? What did you see?"

He bent down and gathered Cade in his arms, tossing him into the air like he was nothing, "I saw just about the biggest bump in the road that I ever did see!"

Hannah gave him a curious look; he saw and mouthed the words to her, "Mount Hood."

To be continued...
up
165 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Exploring

I've driven that road. What a lovely site.

This is such a sweet story, inspiring also.

Merry Christmas

Gwen

What a Lovely thing to Say

Christina H's picture

'A heart as Big as this Country' - beautiful simply beautiful

Thanks yet again for the story

Christina

Toll

That toll seems like highway robbery. Back then that was a LOT of money. How could they justify that - plus what is to stop somebody getting mad and shooting that :robb..er I mean "businessman".

Joanna

The Toll Authorized...

...by Oregon's provisional legislature for the first two years after construction (1846-47) was $5 per wagon plus ten cents a head for livestock. (Source: the Oregon Historical Society's online Oregon Encyclopedia.)

The article adds that though the route was popular, it wasn't profitable for the builders at that price level. Others took over the toll road with varying degrees of success, but Wikipedia says that by 1863 the toll had fallen to $2.50. Apparently barge travel down the Columbia River was the primary alternative.

Eric

the toll...

That was an error on my part. In my research I read that often the amount would reach the equivalent of a $100 in today's money, once the stock was factored in. I have fixed the story so it is more along the real cost. Thank you for reading my story.

Anon Allsop

Rachel seems to have come

Rachel seems to have come from humbler origins than Ezrah or Gideon so seeing what Hannah will do for her is special to her. If she didn't completely love Hannah as her new mother this probably sealed it.

Cade's naughty streak seems to have dissipated with Blackie back and having something that he loves able to be taken away, Rachel seems to have noticed this with her glances.

And nicely done by Hannah to help a family in need and to look ahead for both hers and another family's wellbeing. If it doesn't work out they haven't lost anything more than money that reminded her of what she lost, at least it went to something worthwhile.

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

One of the big weather

One of the big weather problems/issues that can occur in that section of Oregon is ICE. If it gets cold enough and due to the wetness of the region, the Columbia River Gorge region is infamous for ice. The area around Mt. Hood is also known for lots of snow, and as they are already hitting some snow, hopefully they will get past the region before it gets really bad. I just hope that the grape vines will not succumb to the colder weather and freeze.