Heir to a Title - Chapter 2

Printer-friendly version

Chapter 2.

The following morning she was busy in the library when a cup of coffee suddenly appeared at her elbow. A voice whispered softly to avoid disturbing other students.

“Here you are girl. Coffee break though a bit early for elevenses.”

She looked up and grinned as she recognised first the voice then the face.

“Thanks Henry. You’re thoughtful and you remembered about my tutorial.”

“Can't stay long darling. I’ve got to make the gym, training for the rowing.”

“Oh, you really are a rower are you? I thought you were spinning me a line. Hoping to make the boat-race are you.”

“Oooh no darling. I’m tall but not heavy or strong enough; paired lightweight sculls that’s me. Will you be finished tonight?”

“Not likely. I’ll have more work after the tutorial and the professor will probably see me again tomorrow morning. I only found out after the exams that she’s got hopes for me?”

“Oh, so you’re her star pupil, usually, extra tutorials mean a student is falling behind. Well, I’m going to Nene Valley Railway centre tomorrow; I just thought you might want to tag along.”

Ellie let out an involuntary snort.

“Gosh you know how to impress a girl, a trip to see the trains! Will I be expected to collect train numbers?”

Henry’s hopeful grin faded to disappointment.

“It’s not like that. I just thought; oh well never mind; perhaps some other time.”

He turned to leave and she felt a little guilty as she watched his shoulders droop with disappointment. Hastily she called after him.

“No, no. I’d love to come but I can’t make it before twelve. I hand this work in for eleven and the professor still wants to discuss some more stuff.”

“What! On a Saturday?”

“Yes. It’s the only time we’ve got available on the main-frame.”

“Oh dear, that’d be too late. I’m booked for eleven so I have to leave here by nineish.”

“Oh. Sorry, I won’t be able to make that time but next time I’d love to come.”

“That’s Sunday but it’s a put to bed exercise. I’ll be all filthy and covered in soot. I don’t suppose you’d like that.”

“What d’you mean; ‘Put to bed’?”

“Oh cleaning her, oiling her, coaling her and dropping her fire after some track maintenance I think.”

“Who’s ‘her’?”

“Jessica. She’s a class 4 standard tank.”

“Tank. What, you mean like a Sherman tank?”

Henry tutted and chuckled.

“No, no silly, Jessica’s a steam engine, a tank engine, a class 4 standard, tank locomotive. Work-horse of all the railways until diesel traction replaced steam.”

“Jessica; a train! You make her sound like your girlfriend.”

He grinned, partly with embarrassment.

“Well she is – sort of. I’m fond of her.”

“A steam locomotive. You go to see a steam locomotive. Is that every weekend? Are you crazy or what?”

“Well, I suppose you could say I was, when you put it like that, but it’s just a hobby, lots of people have hobbies.”

“And yours is visiting a steam engine. I don’t know who is more loco, you or the engine.”

“That would be the engine darling, she is after all a loco-motive as the Americans would say.”

“Oh very funny. Well I have to admit,” Ellie sighed, “I can’t half pick them.”

“Oh I’ve been picked have I? Picked for what?”

Ellie suddenly realised she might have revealed more of her feelings for him than she ought to have done and she quickly laid a smoke screen.

“It was a figure of speech, why do I have to get the crazies?”

“Oh so I’m crazy am I, just because I have a hobby involving trains. What are your hobbies?”

Ellie fell silent. In truth she hadn’t got a long term, life-time hobby. She got most of her enjoyment solving maths and physics problems.

Finally she confessed.

“I don’t have hobbies; I don’t have time for them.”

“What? Not even shopping?”

“Too expensive. Not all of us are rich.”

Henry tactfully ignored the barb but he’d felt it. Instead he asked.

“So what do you do on weekends?”

“Well I’m still finding my way around the town and the other colleges. There’s plenty to see and do, museums, churches, chapels, pubs; you name it. I keep busy.”

“Don’t you do any sport? I mean you’ve got the figure of an athlete.”

Ellie blushed under the compliment but felt like a million dollars.

“I used to but I’ve not had much time this first term. Finding my level and feeling my way. I might resume cycling again. The land is flat around here.”

Henry fell silent. After offering an invitation to a day out he had little else to say and the girl he fancied like mad seemed to be more interested in her books. After a pregnant silence he finally concluded she wasn’t interested in taking things further and he made his excuses.

“Well, I’ll have to be going, see you around.”

“I’ll be free next week after Monday.” Ellie replied hopefully.

“Wednesday is end of term; I’ll be going down for Christmas.”

“Oh heck yes, I forgot. Shall I see you next term?”

“We could do, I might possibly catch up with you next term then, bye, see you around.”

He left before Ellie could respond and she was left staring at the door as it slowly closed on its fire restrictor. Henry had left hurriedly and she couldn’t be sure if he was disappointed or resigned or just angry. His last words ‘See you around’ left a worrisome doubt in her mind.

“Damn!” She scolded herself. “I could have handled that better. I haven’t even got his phone number.”

She had to force herself to resume working.

The following morning, she had a stroke of luck. The professor was indisposed and had left a note apologising and that she would see Ellie at the start of the spring term. She only had to leave her dissertation with her secretary. Ellie decided to accompany Henry to his ‘train set’ as she amusedly referred to it in her own mind. On going around to his hall of residence, she was disappointed to learn from another student that Henry had already left for the rail-yard and she was left wondering how to get there.

As she stood by the door deciding what to do, another different student approached her.

“Weren’t you the girl Henry was sweet on at the end of term ball?”

Ellie nodded and explained.

“Yes. He invited me to go to the railway thingy with him but I had work. I suppose he’ll be at the railway centre all day. Now I've missed him.”

The student nodded and smiled.

“Oh yes he left early; he’s dead keen on his engine. But, if you are prepared to share a ride, I can give you a lift, I’m following on with these tools and stuff to do another job. Right now he’s probably checking his beloved Jessica and lighting the fire.”

“His engine?” Ellie asked as she picked up on his first words.

“Oh didn’t he tell you. I thought everybody knew about Jessica. Henry’s grand-dad owns her but everybody knows that Henry likes to drive her.”

Ellie was slightly dumb-struck. She thought Henry was just one of a team of enthusiasts who messed about with trains.

“No, I didn’t know. How did you know?”

“I’m another rail nut but I’m working on maintaining another engine today. Henry’s taking Jessica out for a spin. He; or rather Jessica is hauling six coaches on the first Santa run.”

“What, you mean he’s driving the engine.”

“Yes but there’ll be a line inspector accompanying plus the stoker. Henry isn’t qualified for the road yet; his engine only came down by low-loader a few weeks ago and this is only his second time out with a loaded train.”

“You mean he actually drives the engine?”

“Yes, didn’t you hear me? He’s fully qualified to drive his grand-dad’s engine but he’s only had her down on the Nene and made a couple of light-engine runs since November. Jessica is the second best Engine on the line at the moment and probably the most reliable. I’ve a feeling the society will be making full use of her, she’s really handy.”

“Oh my God! And there I was teasing him about it.”

“The other student frowned.

“Don’t! He’s held in high regard by the society and Jessica is a real asset. Class four tanks are really useful engines. Especially on weight restricted railroads. They’re light, powerful, reliable and quite nippy. All that plus she’s got a closed cab for wet weather, that makes her nice and cosy. Henry will never be short of stokers. Jessica’s one of the best class fours’ and one of the last to be built. Here can you carry these tools to the car?”

Ellie was so surprised she did as asked and eventually they were on their way. On route the other student opened up.

“Henry was talking about you last night.”

“Oh. What was he saying?”

“He thinks he’s not up to your league. – ‘too much beauty and brains’ he said.”

“Beauty? Me?” Ellie wondered aloud.

“Yeess.” He replied slowly. “Don’t you think so?”

“Well uuuuhhm, no not really. My forehead’s too hi-“

“Now stop right there girl. I saw you in that beautiful dress at the ball and you really showed it off to the best effect. The pony tail was too much of a functional thing and the subsequent ‘Croydon face-lift’ was the worst possible hair style. You could do wonders with better makeup! You looked really stunning after your hair makeover and your face was framed properly to hide that forehead. That’s when Henry noticed you. Apart from the forehead breadth your face is beautiful. And anyway, your forehead only makes your face look slightly triangular and the make-over worked. I see you’ve put it back in a ponytail. Mind-you that’ll be more functional on the railway.”

Ellie reflected on the ball and the girl who fixed her hair.

“Yes, that Jackie did a good job. I’ll have to find out which hall she lives in and get some tips off her.”

At that the boy let out a snort then laughed loudly.

“You silly bitch! Don’t you recognise me?”

She stared at him uncomprehendingly and momentarily offended by his calling her a bitch.

“No.” She snapped. "And I'm not a bitch!"

Realising he had inadvertently caused offence; he suddenly raised his voice and spoke most effeminately.

“Sorry darling. ‘Bitch’ is a sort of term of endearment between us Trannies. Don't your recognise me? I’m Jackie! The girl who did your hair in the loos! Well I’m her brother James today!”

For the second time that day she was shocked as she stared at him.

“What you! Oh my God!”

“Why do you keep calling on that guy? If you believe in him he might come down to speak to you, then what would you do?”

“But, but you! You’re Jackie! You’re just so-oo different. I mean -.”

“It’s all in the make-up darling; oh, and the voice. Miracles can be worked. Come over to my hall sometime and I’ll give you some pointers.”

Ellie grinned as she asked.

“Are you saying I need a miracle as well?”

“Certainly not, but you need to learn a few alternative looks. A girl needs different ammunition for different battles.”

“I’d really love that. You're really kind. How did you learn all this stuff? Can I come over Monday?”

“You’d best come over early. We’re going to a trans-party to wind up the end of term. I’ll be doing a few makeovers. Why not bring Henry, he lives in our hall anyway and he’s often seen us going clubbing. He doesn’t seem to mind us and chats with us quite a lot. Another of us girls is also a rower but I share the double sculls with Henry. We make a good pair but both of us are too small for the eights. Provided Henry brings you as a partner I’m sure the other girls won’t mind. I warn you, we can be a wild bunch though. Tee-girls know how to enjoy themselves.”

“Tee-girls?” Ellie wondered.

“Our own word for ourselves love. The ‘tee’ is just a useful shorthand for ‘Trans’: - transvestite, transgender, transsexual, trans-whatever. We turn off here, not far to go.”

After a couple more miles they arrived and James slipped away to locate Henry, he returned to tell Ellie-

“The society must be really pleased with his engine. He’s taken the eleven o’clock Santa special with the first load of passengers. He won’t be back until one o’clock. Well, twelve fifty five to be precise.”

“So what do I do until then?”

“Well. I can show you around; not the smoky greasy engines of course but the coaches all laid out for the Christmas lunches and stuff.”

“I think I’d prefer the smoky engines, even go inside one if it’s not too much to ask.”

A wide grin crossed James’s face as he contemplated the occasion. A pretty girl was always a welcome visitor especially when she had come of her own volition.

“Well I’m glad you’ve worn jeans. I’ll lend you one of my overalls and a hat to tuck your hair, come on. Oh! Have you got any moisturising cream? It makes a useful barrier against the soot and grim.”

Ellie grinned, “trust you to know that. Sorry though, I left it back in my room.”

“Well never mind, I’ve got some in my work locker if you’re okay about borrowing it. It’s a new jar so you can use it first.”

Ellie let out another giggle.

“Ever the gentleman aren’t you? - and sometimes the lady. You’re funny. I can see why Henry likes you.”

They continued chatting as Ellie grabbed one of the tool bags and followed James to a store. They emerged later to be directed to a class five standing beautifully polished with a smart rake of matching coaches attached ready to be the next Christmas-dinner, express. Ellie’s eyes widened with appreciation as she was helped up on to the footplate by a kindly older driver. After explaining that she was Henry’s girlfriend the older man smiled and explained some of the controls.

“I’m surprised Henry didn’t take you on the footplate with him. Usually girlfriends love the ride.”

Ellie explained how and why she’d missed the treat and the man apologised that he couldn’t invite her to travel with him because the footplate invitation was already booked. After chatting about engines and explaining that she was a scientist, Ellie was surprised to learn that the driver was a professor of modern history at the university. It seemed that steam enthusiasts came from every walk of life.
Soon their conversation was interrupted by a long whistle that announced Henry and his beloved Jessica’s return at the head of the ‘Morning Santa’. She clambered eagerly down the footplate step and blew her thanks to the professor before rushing to meet Henry’s train.

As it ‘shished’ to a stop the line inspector got down after exchanging a few friendly words. Henry was already smiling just as his eyes suddenly spotted Ellie. Ellie savoured the sight of Henry's smile widening into a huge appreciative grin as the train came to a standstill.

“Oh! Hello, I’ didn’t expect to see you here. I thought you had a dissertation to hand in. I thought you weren’t interested.”

Ellie detected the uncertainty in Henry’s words and realised the boy was hopeful but not optimistic about Ellie’s feelings towards him. She scolded him softly.

“You didn’t tell me did you?”

“Tell you what?”

“That Jessica was your own engine and that you actually drove her.”

“That would have seemed like boasting and it seemed I was already a snooty toff in your eyes.”

“Is that what you thought?” She asked, slightly grieved.

Henry hesitated as his uncertainty endured.

“Yes; well to me it seemed like that.”

“Well I’m sorry if I came across as a bit of a bitch and you certainly don’t look like a snooty toff right now – covered in coal-dust, oil and soot.”

“Look who’s talking, you don’t look much like a scientist either.”

She grinned and tugged at the ill-fitting overalls.

“They belong to James. He lent them to me.”

“And the cap I see. Where is he?”

“I don’t know, he said he was going down the sheds to do some work on another engine.”

“Oh yes, that’ll be Thomas. She’s hauling a children’s special later.”

Ellie grinned.

“It seems incongruous to call an engine named Thomas ‘she’.”

“All engines are she, like ships. Anyway Thomas might be a transvestite engine especially in that flamboyant blue.”

“Oh James would love that!”

“Oh! He’s revealed himself to you then.”

“Yes. I was amazed. Jackie is just so effeminate and pretty then James turns out to be a grease monkey, just like you – and me.”

Just as she finished talking, Henry responded to the shunter’s call from the platform and there was a gentle jerk as Jessica moved up to loosen before uncoupling. Ellie staggered and plopped down onto the stoker’s seat.

“Oh! You could have warned me.”

“Sorry it’s a soft landing if a bit sooty.”

Just then the stoker emerged from between the train and engine then climbed back onto the footplate. Henry nodded as he peered down the track.

“Okay Jack! There’s my signal Sorry my lady friend has nicked your seat.”

Jack grinned.

“Be my guest, just a few yards to the coaling station anyway.”

Henry tooted the whistle and some per-way men raised their arms to acknowledge as Jessica smoothly ‘shished’ ahead to clank over the points.

“Is that it for today?” Ellie asked Henry.

“I don’t know. There’s been a flood of last minute interest. There might be a late train and Jessica’s in the frame for it. She’s so handy and doesn’t need the turn-table. Enthusiasts seem okay with tanks running tender first but they get miffed if the black five does it. If there is a late-un what’s the betting they’ll want Jessica and me.”

Jack the stoker frowned.

“Well I’ve got to be gone by four, I can’t do a second run but there’ll be plenty of enthusiasts willing to get their time in on the shovel.”

Henry nodded as he stared fixedly ahead at the rack of signals that stretched across the tracks. Several moved in close succession and Ellie admired how Henry seemed to make sense of their activity. Eventually Jessica slowed to a halt and Henry parked her before helping Ellie down before he took her to the controller’s cabin. He emerged looking somewhat philosophical but happy.

“It seems they’ll definitely want me. The three o’clock is oversubscribed and there’s a bit of a flap for extra coaches. Bob’s picking up some spares at Peterborough and bringing them down on his return with the black five.”

“Is he the professor driving that one with the tender?”

“Yes. But once he’s back, they’re putting her to bed cos’ the turn-table crew are finishing at three. So it’s Jessica and me for the extra.”

“That seems unfair. What time will you finish?

“Out at five, back by eight or nine. It’s a ‘darker’ so I’ll finish late.

“Aren’t you annoyed?”

“Gosh no, I’m elated. I need the night experience for my road permit. It means the line inspector will be accompanying me again.”
“You mean it’s like an exam?”

“More a tutorial at this stage, I’ve never made a night run. I must get a few under my belt before qualifying so I’m glad of this run. Come on, let’s go and give Jessica her dinner, then we’ll grab something in the canteen as well.”

Ellie followed and was pleased to learn that James had seized the opportunity for a turn on the shovel as a step to qualifying as a driver. Henry had already explained that the maximum on the footplate was four; normally the driver, stoker and up to two guests. Ellie had been offered the unexpected treat to make up a fourth with the line inspector supervising Henry’s abilities.

“Will the inspector mind me being on the footplate?” Ellie asked uncertainly.

“Not at all. Everybody’s glad I’m prepared to take the train out. It means a whole pile of unexpected extra income because it’ll be quite a long train. About eight coaches by all accounts. That’s about as much as Jessica can haul; the line is mostly flat so she should have no problems.”

“Problems?” Ellie wondered.

“Yes. Losing traction. That reminds me, we’d better get some extra sand, just in case.”

They pulled up at the coaling station where James and several volunteers were stood expectantly. Henry advised Ellie to get out while the coal was tipped into the tender.

“There’ll be a hell of a lot of dust darling, you’ll have to shower in the washrooms after and I’m afraid it’s all boys.”

Ellie grinned.

“Oooh that'll be interestin. I hope you'll protect me. I’m black already darling so I’ll have to have a shower anyway, especially after we bring the train back.”

“Well, be it on your head darling, I did warn you. The coaling crew threw a large sheet over the cab roof and windows while Henry produced a smaller sheet for personal cover. He also produced some dust masks.

“Health and safety darling. Sign of the times.”

Thus prepared, he signalled to James who motioned to the tipper driver and soon several tons were rumbling down the chute into the tender. The dust cloud enveloped the cab and Ellie jumped with fright at the sudden noise. After realising what it was, she giggled as she hugged Henry tight under their protective canvas sheet. Henry hugged her back and Ellie was pleased that there were no inquisitive opportunistic fingers, just a tight embrace.

“I see what you mean; it’s good job James lent me his spare overalls.”

The loading was completed and Henry eased a few yards down the track to the water tower. There James filled the side tanks and took the opportunity to hose most of the dust off the engine. When she emerged, she was back to her gleaming black gloss. Inside the cab, Henry
rinsed and hosed out the bulk of what dust had penetrated the sheets and soon, Jessica was ready to roll. They parked up and joined Ellie in the canteen where she had grabbed some food left over from the Christmas dinner special. She had set a table for the gang. They ate appreciatively because it was a Christmas dinner.

“So are you joining the society then?” One of the coaling gang asked.

Ellie smiled enigmatically and turned to Henry with a smile.

“If he’ll have me; all black and sooty.”

“That’s how he likes em, “James giggled.

Henry’s blush was visible even under the grime but he gasped with surprise when Ellie secretly squeezed his thigh under the table.

“Ah! I dunno boys,” he declared, “she’s too pretty for this work.”

It was Ellie’s turn to blush as she savoured the unexpected compliment. Then she disillusioned him.

“It doesn’t take beauty to clean an engine. Just water, grease, detergent and hands.”

This bought a chuckle from the crew as the line inspector joined them.”

“Twenty minutes boys! I’ve put several bags of sand by the engine but they’re too heavy for me to lift into the cab. Is any of that food going free?”

“Help yourself.” Henry agreed and Ellie doled out some meat and veg that still remained.

The line inspector took a seat as Henry asked.

“The coaling gang have asked if they can ride in the brake van.”

“Don’t see why not, “the inspector agreed. “They’ll be useful if we have a traction problem and they can add extra sand under the wheels to supplement the injected sand if she does start to slip at the valley rise bank. This’ll be a test of your driving skills as well Henry.”

A ripple of interest rustled around the table for despite bringing his own engine to the party, Henry was still something of a new boy; albeit a boy growing in popularity. The more Ellie watched the crack around the table the more she grew to like the shy, aristocrat. There was no ‘side’ to him at all when he was amongst people of like interests. All too soon the twenty minutes was up and they took the engine to the waiting train. Ellie stood well back out of the way as they coupled to the train. There was no lurch as the coupling went smoothly and Ellie caught the inspector’s approving nod as he watched Henry’s handiwork. James climbed back aboard and they waited for the clearance from the signal box. It came and slowly Jessica eased her way gently forward as the full weight of the coaches began to tell. Fortunately there were to be no intermediate stops so Henry would only have to consider the gentle slope as the line skirted the valley and headed towards Peterborough. If he maintained his momentum it should prove no problem.

Ellie sensed the tension as the train approached the bank and she could tell Jessica was beginning to work for her living. The train slowed appreciably but Henry kept a steady even pull and eventually the whole train crawled smoothly over the crest of the bank. There was a notable but silent sense of relief in the cab as the ordeal was over and Henry exchanged a telling glance with the line inspector. The inspector nodded again as he remarked.

“The black five almost stalled there last Christmas. You’ve got a good engine here, d’ you intend keeping her on the line?”

“It’s up to my grand-dad. It’s his loco, I only drive it.”

“And very well too, if I might say. You and the engine are an asset lad. I’m told you have a private name for her.”

Henry blushed and nodded. “Yes, my Grand-dad named her Jessica and it’s stuck. I call her Jessica as well.”

The inspector smiled.

“Nice name, are you going to give her a name plaque?”

“Ooh that’s a bit expensive, and pretentious don’t you think. She’s only a common-or-garden tank engine.”

The inspector grinned.

“Henry, aren’t you listening? There’s a tiny blue tank in the shed called Thomas and all the children love him. It’d be nice if Thomas had a friend – a big sister as it were. I’m sure the society could help with name plaques. This extra trip alone would pay for them twice over.”
Uncertainty creased Henry’s brow as he glanced towards Ellie for some sort of input. She smiled and nodded towards the inspector as she added.

“It’d be nice for Thomas.”

“But I don’t know of any class four tanks in any of the stories.” Henry protested. “It sort of wouldn’t be in keeping. Besides, the money could be better used elsewhere.”

“Oh piffle!” Ellie retorted. “There are no suburban coaches on this line either to represent Thomas’s naughty carriages Annie and Clarabel but nobody seems to worry about that. I think it would be splendid if Jessica was named.”

Henry stayed silent. They were approaching Peterborough and he needed to concentrate against all the background lights that could be confused with the signals, especially to the inexperienced eye. On arrival at the station in the dark Henry was initially preoccupied with changing ends which was easy for Jessica because of her ‘tank-engine’ configuration. This was what made her a favourite with all the enthusiasts. The trio then had a couple of hours to kill before the return journey so the three went for a mooch around Peterborough while an experienced caretaker minded the engine. The Christmas festive spirit was everywhere and Ellie asked what Henry and James wanted for Christmas.

Henry was slightly surprised and hesitated uncertainly.

“Oh. I hadn’t thought about that. I’m sorry; I didn’t bring any money to buy you something. I’m in my working jeans and stuff. I’ve just got a couple of quid on me. I wasn’t expecting –“

“Oh don’t be silly. This is my treat. I’ll buy you some deodorant or something, or a pair of socks.”

Henry felt embarrassed and Ellie sensed it.

“There’ll be time enough to reciprocate the favour. What do you think James? Are you happy to receive a prezzie?”

James however had no such reservations about accepting Christmas presents. He grinned mischievously.

“There are some lovely lingerie gift sets in Primark and they’re ever so cheap! I’ve had my eye on them since last week. I hope there are some still left.”

Ellie squeaked with amused protest.

“If you think I’m going lingerie shopping with you, you’re mistaken.”

James shrugged.

“Very well, I’ll go alone. See you back on Jessica.”

Ellie’s eyes widened with surprise.

“Are you serious? D’ you mean you buy your own – publicly; even when dressed as a boy?”

James scolded her softly.

“Why not? I know my own sizes so I don’t have to try them on. Anyway, what if I did? You won’t be there.”

Ellie’s demeanour changed to curiosity.

“This I must see. And you in your overalls!”

“Huh! Like I care? Come if you want. I don’t mind.”

Ellie turned to Henry.

“D ’you believe him? Buying his own lingerie even while dressed in stoker’s overalls.”

Henry shrugged.

“Don’t see why not. He goes out in girls’ clothes nearly all the time. He even comes down to the rowing club dressed.”

Ellie hesitated again then turned to Henry.

“Will you come with us?”

“He doesn’t need me darling. James is capable of looking after himself.”

“No; it’s me who’s embarrassed but I want to see.”

Henry sighed and glanced at James who nodded permission.

“O-oh, alright then. Can’t see anything better to do. Come on, we’ve only got half an hour.”

They strode quickly into town and Ellie marvelled at James’s aplomb as he chose his preferred lingerie set and then matched them to some stockings. Ellie was also quite surprised at Henry’s aplomb. At the counter the lady reminded James they could not be returned and James replied quite openly.

“I know my own size dear. They’ll fit.”

The sales lady nodded and smiled as she bagged them up while James keyed in his card. Outside the shop Ellie wagged her head.

“That sales woman wasn’t at all fazed.”

“Why should she? She probably gets at least one trans-girl every day.” Henry observed. “Come on, let’s get back early, I fancy a bacon sandwich before the station cafe closes.”

On the way back, Ellie couldn’t help but want to explore James’s other side. After asking lots of questions she turned to Henry.

“Doesn’t it bother you Darling?”

Henry pulled a wry smile.

“Darling! He’s my friend and rowing partner plus we share an interest in steam locomotives. Jacky has every right to claim her part and besides, Jacky’s bloody good fun. Apart from you of course, I prefer going out with Jacky and her friends to going out with the rowing club gang.”

This revelation paradoxically raised Ellie’s opinion of the enigmatic Henry.

The journey home proved uneventful. Jessica proved herself well capable of the return journey and by the time James and Henry had dropped the fire, it was gone midnight when they finally trudged back into their respective college halls.

The next morning Ellie was disappointed when neither James or Henry returned her calls. Further inquiries finally revealed that they had both gone rowing. She decided to do some laundry and it was all of eleven o’clock before her phone rang, Henry spoke.

“Hi Ellie. We’ve finished training. Would you like to come out on Jessica again?”

Strangely she found herself accepting eagerly and soon they were driving west to the Nene Valley. In the car she found herself getting quite excited at the prospect as James explained.

“We might not be taking a train today. There’s only four excursions planned and Thomas the Tank has two of those. Jessica might be used to work on the line extension. The good news is we’ll be finished early if she is.”

“What does it entail?” Ellie asked.

“Oh plenty of to-ing and fro-ing moving trucks and the track-laying crane. Good driving practice for any learners.”

“And you’re hoping for a turn?” Ellie deduced.

James nodded then Ellie fell silent in the passenger seat as Henry gave James driving instruction for locomotives.

Throughout the day Ellie thought she’d be bored but was delighted to find she was asked to stoke Jessica after James and Henry had coaled and watered her. It was an easy task because no speed was required and very little coal needed to be shovelled as the locomotive trudged slowly back and forwards carrying assorted road laying materials as the line extension was progressed to everybody’s satisfaction. The
scheduled work was completed ahead of time and everybody sang Jessica’s praises. Ellie found herself beginning to like working on the railway.

During the last few days of term, Ellie and Henry’s relationship blossomed.

~oo000oo~

up
356 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

thanks

thanks, Beverly, for a story with a train in it, as an ex railroader I'm always up for a good one and this is one. also, good to see you back writing, missed you.
robert

001.JPG

TBH

To be honest I don't care what you call this so long as you keep writing it. Very enjoyable.
Buff said.

Fem Train

rlarueh007's picture

Thanks Bev, great story looking fwd. to more. Richard

Lovely story, and I remember

Lovely story, and I remember biking out to Petersbourgh on several occasions. I was fascinated with trains when I was younger, growing up in the era of Steam Engines. One of my Uncles was an Engineer (driver) on The Milwaukie Road (railroad) and later on The Great Northern railroad. He used to take all of us kids (8) and kids in the neighborhood (20) (not all at one time naturally) to the 'Roundhouse' where we got to see the engines being worked on, getting ready to roll, or being 'decked out' for various special runs. Then they would be brought out of their stall/s, set on the turntable, and then swung into position to be hooked up for a train. Even girls could dream about being an Engineer, tho we all knew it would never, ever happen; especially back in the 1950s.

Lightweight 8s

>> I share the double sculls with Henry. We make a good pair but both of us are too small for the eights.<<

I was a lightweight rower on the MIT Crew team from '67 to '71 and almost always raced in eights. We sent an eight to row at Henley on Thames in '68, but I was not in the varsity (1st) boat, so did not go. We rowed against the best lightweight schools in the East (of the US) which were the Ivy League Universities plus the Naval Academy. I think lightweight rowing became an Olympic Sport (in eights) in '72.

Cambridge U probably raced in lightweight 8 at sometime during the '60s and '70s. If they are now only racing in heavyweight eights, it might be because of cost cutting measures.

While I was racing, Freshmen had to average 150lbs. per boat with no one over 155 and JV and Varsity averaged 155lbs. with no one over 160. After the start of Olympic lightweight rowing, US schools conformed to the Olympic limits, in Kgs, which is slightly lighter.

Very cool story; thanks!

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

Thank you Beverly,

Henry is a definite "keeper" ,he must have a soul if he likes steam engines and going out with Jacky and her friends!!

ALISON

Full steam ahead, Beverly

Podracer's picture

Seeing the easy, literate style on the screen is most enjoyable, and the only dirty thoughts being of coal and soot - grand.
Too light really for the rowing teams at 140 or less, but they were desperate for numbers, so I trained and did a bit. More cox size than stroke side!

"Reach for the sun."

I love Thomas ...

Jezzi Stewart's picture

... the Tank Engine and his friends, both human and mechanical! My grandson introduced me to his world, and while he's grown and lost interest (transferred to Legos) I haven't. Perhaps Jessica started life as Justin?

BE a lady!

Another great chapter

The story continues with another great chapter. Thanks, Bev.

Much Love,

Valerie R

This is great for Ellie, she

This is great for Ellie, she has three new friends, Jackie, James, and Henry.
What a fascinating hobby.

Karen

It truly is

a different world, but I'm following along, if just barely.

Delightful!

I'm really enjoying the local color. I understand the advantages of diesel electric locomotives (the original hybrid vehicles,) but there's something to be said about the torque you get from direct steam drive.

There is a local steam and tractor show that we will be seeing soon. They have a small engine and a loop of track.