Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2803

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2803
by Angharad

Copyright© 2015 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
*****

After dinner I had to fend off questions about our new housekeeper. “She knows you two,” I said to Julie and Phoebe.

“How’s that?” Julie shot back.

“You cut her hair.”

“What’s her name?”

“Amanda.”

“Is she blonde?”

“Her hair is.”

She rolled her eyes, “Smart arse,” she muttered before adding, “Does she have long straight hair?”

“Yes.”

“Yeah, I know who you mean, damn, I’ll have to give her discount now.”

“So sorry,” I replied not meaning a word of it. I left the table and the clearing up to the others for a change returning to my dormouse paper. Possibly because I was more relaxed about things, the thing fell into place in an hour and a further thirty minutes and I’d inserted all the footnotes and references, stuck the bibliography on the end and emailed it to Diane’s address at the university, for her to proof it for me. I also printed off a copy for Tom to read. He was astonished I’d finished it, but sometimes things just fall into place and other days you struggle with no hope of getting it right or written. How professional writers can sit down and write everyday amazes me but then I doubt they have dozens of kids demanding their attention.

Having finished the paper and it being a Saturday evening, I agreed to run a sewing bee for the girls until nine, it was now half past seven. Five of them showed up including Danielle who wanted to see if she could alter a skirt which had got a bit tight—considering how much she eats, I wasn’t entirely surprised.

The skirt was no problem, we just moved the button and it became comfortable again. Her school skirts were okay as they had a bit of elastic in the waistband. Her hips were certainly spreading and despite the previous skirt being tight, her waist was quite trim as it should be at fourteen, especially in one who does so much sport.

All the girls were quite trim possibly because they were quite young and also because they didn’t have that much access to sweets or encouraged to drink fizzy cola or lemonade. Instead they had plenty of fruit and got loads of exercise. At times they grumbled but I tried to explain how if they stayed slim apart from being prettier they’d be healthier and that no one would want to be their friends if they ate themselves silly or were sick or both.

The sewing session was quite useful and I got some repairs done and discovered it isn’t only boys who have buttons and seams split on school uniforms. I also had the girls sewing name labels in some new school clothes—their own, naturally. They protested but when I pointed out what would happen if they didn’t identify their own clothing, then it could be mixed up with other girls’ stuff and at home it was no big deal, did they want that degree of familiarity with relative strangers? They of course replied that I should do it for them. I told them that I was no longer going to do it as they were all capable of doing it themselves and so they would or risk other people wearing their knickers.

It worked, at least as far as they all sewed the labels in their underwear while making retching noises—girls can be just as challenging as boys. Sammi came down with one of her suit jackets—she’d caught it on a cage thing at Waterloo station and it was torn on the body of the jacket. It posed quite a difficulty, it was lined and also had a stiffening material in places. I took an hour to repair the tear, mainly on a seam but the return of the other bits to how they were was more than challenging. That took another hour and handing it back to her she was told that I didn’t think I could do any more like that, hoping she didn’t tear them in future and didn’t try to retaliate by declining to do charts for lecture notes or papers, like the one I’d just finished. We included half a dozen charts, box type and pie ones plus three photographs.

Daddy had finished reading through my paper and said it was okay to his eyes and should be all right for peer review. As soon as Diane had checked it for typos it could go off to the journal. It was nice to quote four of my old papers, one of which had been pre changeover, the others were all more recent and used research I’d done while at Portsmouth or at least published while here.

I got the younger ones off to bed after Julie had actually got Lizzie to bed and then Cate. I hoped she wasn’t getting broody in her old age. Trish, Livvie, Meems and Hannah went off together and I let them listen to a talking book. Downstairs I went to finish my sewing while it was quiet and found Julie waiting for me. “I’ve made you some tea.”

“That’s very kind, sweetheart,” which meant, what are you after.

“Can I have a little chat, Mummy?”

“Of course, shut the door and we won’t be disturbed.” She did as I asked and I sipped at my tea.

“I’m not sure how to put this...”

“Take your time,” I said putting down my cup.

“I want to expand the business.”

“Okay.”

“I want to do laser hair removal.”

“Do you need courses for that?”

“Yeah, what I can’t do is afford the courses and the equipment.”

“So what d’you want me to do?”

“Help me convince Daddy to loan us the money.”

“Have you got space to do that assuming he gives you the money?”

“Yeah, we’ve got two rooms out the back we can convert to other things. Maureen or one of her lot will do the work for us, she’s costed it for us.”

“So Phoebe is in on this too and happy about it?”

“Yeah, but I’ll do the courses first, then once we’ve covered our outlays, we can look to possibly set up another room and she can do the courses.”

“So you want me to speak to Daddy and prime him?”

“Yeah, more or less.”

“Okay, but this is for loans?”

“Yeah.”

“Okay.”

“We thought we might offer the service to transgenders.”

“During normal hours?”

“Yeah, why not? They’ve got to mix with muggles at some point.”

“Muggles—as in H. Potter esquire?”

“Yeah, those not in on things.”

“Be careful you don’t alienate your blue rinse brigade while you still need them.”

“Don’t worry, we won’t. We see the odd one now for electrolysis or makeovers, but usually we do that in the afternoons or early evenings, unless they look okay and sound okay.”

“Yes voice can be a great problem for some people.”

“We did think about getting someone in to do that.”

“The way you’re going you sound as if you’re setting up a changeover service?”

“That’s what we’re doing.”

“Is there enough custom to make it pay?”

“Oh god, yeah; being trans is the in thing.”

“What if it peaks and troughs?”

“We go back to what we used to do, clever innit?”

“I’ll tell you that when I see your books after the first year.”

“Thanks, Mum, you’re a star.” She pecked me on the cheek and smirking went off leaving me with the problem of how to soften up Simon for the assault on his pocket. I hope they’ve done some sort of business plan.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
226 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Here in the states it is expensive,

I suspect it is there too. In my eyes it is a public service though. Most of us can't afford it except in dribs and drabs. Durn hair, it grows every where it is not wanted, and in my case, doesn't grow where I need it most.

Electrolysis cost

Dahlia's picture

Here in the States the cost of hourly electrolysis is horrendous. The low, at least what I've seen starts at about $65 and goes up from there. My friend in Sheffield UK has found a gal that does her's for £18 for an hour. I so wish I could find a similar priced person here to do my face.

Not sure why Cathy has to go to Simon for financial

help for Julie. Believe she's quite well off on her own at this point. Would be good to get the girls to put a kind of business plan together though. Make them think a bit more about it although the seem to be pretty thorough business women.

Like probably every other fan I was expecting a confidential discussion regarding Amanda when Julie said, “Can I have a little chat, Mummy?”

I Guess Julie Doesn't Realize.....

... that her mum is wealthy enough to lend her the money also?

Thanks for sharing Angharad.

Electrolysis v Laser

Rhona McCloud's picture

Julie and Phoebe might need to research whether electrolysis or laser are best for TG and blonde customers. Coincidently yesterday I was talking with a cisgendered woman with a luxurious beard and moustache which didn't seem to have ever been treated or shaved and is not unusual in some parts of the world.

Julie's "being trans is the in thing" is a frightening thought when you consider that it would naturally be followed in the world of fads by "being trans is so last year."

Rhona McCloud

I guess there

are two ways that Cathy could soften Simon up , One way would be by speaking with David and getting him to cook Simons favourite dish, The other way ?... well lets just say Cathy could maybe make a vist to Victoria's Secret....

Kirri

it's not the loan that is the problem per se

It is the amount of interest on the loan that is the problem.

Still, I find it hard to believe they do not have the 20K quid socked by now for the startup costs. Depends on how many machines they get actually as there are different lasers for different hair so I guess it can get above my guess. It does not sound like they are doing traditional zapping though which has a higher learning curve since blonde and white hairs do not work with laser.

And yes that is the reason why the cost is shocking. But laser I gather is a lot less painful then traditional electrolysis for which I had done about 100 to 150 hours of it. I am still doing it as I am getting my brows shaped and that is another part of the body laser is not used on as it is too close to the eye.

Being an electrologist must be a dream job for some folks. You get to torture them AND they pay AND thank you for it.

Hair Removal

In 2005 I had Laser on my whole body and it was $7500. I was very hairy. It all worked out very well, save for my face, which was half grey. To this day, I have only about a dozen or so hairs on my body.

I had Electrolosis on my face, and it hurt awfully, and was $65 an hour. It was slow, and I could not stand any more than once a week. One time I took a handful of Vicodin and it still hurt. For my upper lip, I got a Dentist to deaden it and that worked well, but cost me $125.

So, I still have to shave my face every day or two.

One thing that can help a lot on weathered skin is a Citric Acid wash. I am getting ready to ask about a redo soon. Most people think I am in my very early 50's, but I am 68.

Gwen

Cathy is rolling in it.

Smart idea, a business loan will require a 5 year business plan. This keeps everything nice and clean.
Specializing in trans gendered clients is a good idea, but don't go overboard and lose the regular older women as customers. They are the bread and butter of your business.

Cefin

Happy Birthday to you Angharad

It is still your birthday this side of the pond. Thank you for the present of this story you give all of us almost every day.

Michelle B

Electrolosis, Du-uh!

I had my legs done some seven year ago and it cost me £3,500 from ankles right up to - (Well you get the picture.) It was in a rather posh Salon in South Wales and I never had any trouble with other women and most of them were 'posh'. But yes, I deemed it expensive but well worth it. I've never had to shave my legs since.
Sadly however my beard and other bodily hair is pure, pure white so Lazer is a non-starter. Fortunately, a white beard enables me to go easily two days - or even three at a push - without shaving, provided I don't have to 'cheek-to-cheek' any new aquaintances.
Pure white hair is brilliant for clubbing and the number of stupid girls who beg to know my 'secret' for white hair is beyond my comprhension.

"I grow it this colour darling, can't you see the wrinkles?"

"Wha- oh! sorry love. How old are you?" (Well I suppose it's better than -"Are you a man or a woman?")
I don't care and it always helps to break the ice with teen-ageers - the older sort that is -.

Still lovin' it Ang. x

bev_1.jpg