Shadow of the Heart Chapter 4

Printer-friendly version


Shadows of the Heart

Chapter 4

Secrets

I was stuck with this guy that my spell did not work on. What am I going to do now? If the office pulls him in and interrogates him my secret will be out. What will I do then? I could always run to Wind Haven. I don't want to give up the work so that's out. I need to get a handle on this.

Two hours and I still had not gotten an order. I am getting worried. The office has never taken this long to send orders along when a target is in play. The safe house security system warned someone was coming up to the front door. Damn I don't carry a gun so there is not much I can do that wont give my secret away. I looked at the screen to see who it is. Tanna my contact at the office was at the door. I checked the rest of the screens no one in sight. I decided to let her in.

She kept her hands in plain sight. I opened the door an moved back. She came in closing the door behind herself. She looked worried. I know she was wired so I was careful what I said. She made small talk about the target but her hands were saying something very different. She signed "You are a mage. The only way out of that room was a mirror. Don't tell them. Take the target and disappear. The office is too hot for you right now. Revolution is coming. Run ,Run fast as you can. Leave everything and go! You both are in Danger! No earpiece no nothing just go!"

That's when a shot came through the window killing Tanna. They were storming the place. I grabbed the target and made for the mirror. We had only a few moments to get away. I opened the portal and grabbed his hand and went through the portal sending a shatter spell as I closed the portal. Well so much for that life. What am I going to do with him? I have about 6 months of food stored at Wind Haven. That is 3 months with two of us. That safe house is burned but I did have three others that are off the offices radar. We will lay low for a while and regain our strength. I might even teach him blade and bow. Of course I would need to relearn those myself with this new body.

For right now I was portal lagged. I guess now that I am going to spend several months with this guy I can't keep calling him the target. I smiled a tired smile "Well it looks like we are stuck with each other for a while. You are Dan right?" He nodded and staggered to the bed an dropped on to it. That is when I spotted the blood. I moved over to him and started the healing spell. I hope the first time was a bad cast, I am only so-so at healing without magic.

I cast and he began to heal. Well he is not a Null. I watched while the skin knit and the blood stopped flowing out of the wound. I pushed the spell to it's max! Gunshots are very hard to heal. It is all the collateral damage to heal as well. I had to hurry or shock would set in. I watched as his skin pinked up and he began to sleep peacefully. Well that was good. Well he will live and I wont be alone here. I guess that is a good thing.

I set to setting things up so we could live here comfortably. I had stashed a lot of stuff here over the years so we will be all right. It will be primitive but not a bad life. After he recovers we will hut to get fresh meat. That should extend our food supply a bit. There is wild veggies and berries to gather as well. In my old life I was pretty good with a bow so after I get used to handling the bow in a new way I should be good. I am ok at sewing and there is plenty of cloth here so I should be able to make some clothes if needed. There is the clothes from my old life that I should be able to modify to fit Dan. Well it is going to take a while to think of him by his name instead of the target. I am quite a bit smaller now so I will have to find or make clothes to fit this body. I wish Grandmother was still around. She would know what to do now. I better get to work while he sleeps off the healing spell.

It took me quite a while to see what I had stashed here and get it all organized. I had just stuck it all here and there in the past. Now I needed to know what we had to work with. Well there was a bit more food than I thought we should be able to hold out 4 months with out going back to shop for food. If we hunt and gather we can extend that to 5-6 months depending on the hunting around here. They should relax the hunt for us back home about that time. I hope so that is.

He is still sleeping and probably will all night. I am going to fix something to eat then try to get some sleep myself. If I can, so much has happened I don't know if my mind will shut down enough to sleep. Making mac and cheese over a open flame is not easy but it came out pretty good. Most of all it is a filling comfort food. Right now I can use all the comfort I can get.

Over the years I have been coming here I have only explored a third of the castle. Tomorrow I will explore some more. Maybe I will find something of use to us. Dan is in my bed so I will use the one next door. This is the one grandmother used to use when she came here. I miss her so. I open the chest at the foot of the bed and pull out the silk nightgown, grandmother loved her silks. I put it on. I have stashed some lingerie here since my new life began so I at least have that. I had only came here once since my new life began until I met Dan that is. Once I slipped into the nightgown and into bed sleep came surprisingly easy.

I wake with the sun, ready for the day. I use the cistern shower that I had rigged up. It was cold but woke me fully. After I got dressed I went to check on Dan. He was sitting up in bed looking around. When I came in he smiled. I smiled back "Feeling better?"

He nodded "What happened the passage here is a little blurry." I pionted to his side where he was shot.

"They stormed the safe house, you were hit. I pulled us out of there but my time with them is over. They did not like me being a mage. We can stay here 5-6 months before we need to go back for food and supplies." He looked at me with a amused look on his face.

"Stuck in a deserted castle with a beautiful maiden for 6 months don't sound too bad to me." The look on his face turned to playful lust. Damn it if I did not blush at that. I checked his wound trying to avoid his hands. That was quite the exercise. The spell had done it's work he was fine.

I asked "You want breakfast and I don't mean me? We have a lot to do today. If we are both feeling like it we can come back to this game later tonight. You would not happen to know how to use a bow or blade?"

He smiled "I was on the fencing team in high school and archery in collage. I even hunted with a bow a few times. I am guessing hunting is going to be a big part of our food supply. I can do that. Is the hunting good here? Do you have a bow I could use?"

I grinned "We have a whole armory to choose weapons from. I have not been outside lately but when I was last time there was plenty of wildlife. I am good with a bow in the past so we should be ok on the hunting front. There is everything else we need in the castle. We will get along fine I think. As long as you keep your mind on your work and not on my assets."

He laughed at that. So we got to work. We used one of the minor halls to gather what we needed. We explored about 1/2 of the castle in the daylight hours. We sorted and looked though all the things we had in the early evening. After supper he was feeling good and I wanted a little comfort so we began the game again. I did not know how far I would let it go and did not care. I was feeling my way through my emotions. I fought his hands at first but soon he was running his hands over my arms and legs. Then his lips found mine and I was lost in the moment. He was caring and did not push me too fast. Right now this is what I needed!

In the morning I found myself in his arms. I was wearing the nightgown and knew he had not forced himself on me. Maybe more will happen as we got to know each other better. It was such a fine day I got up and put on the housecoat and prepared breakfast. I think we will hunt today we could use some fresh meat.

After breakfast I dressed in leather armor ready for a day in the wilds. I picked up the bow that was my strength. Dan whistled "I love a woman in leather! Look out world here she comes." I laughed and pointed to the fact he was not dressed yet. He smiled as he made a production of putting on the armor I had found for him. He is very nicely put together buff guy. We headed to the gate and went out into the wilds.

The hunt went well we got 4 rabbits and tested ourselves. It was a good morning. I showed him the lake and we decided to fish in the afternoon. We cut long branches for fishing poles and I had line and hooks in my pouch. We dug some worms for bait. He skinned and cleaned the rabbits while waiting for the fish to bite. After my hectic life this was nice and relaxing. I guess I am a country girl at heart. I made a fire and started to cook the rabbit he had finished. It should last longer that way. I used some wild herbs that I picked early in the day. Damn that smelled good. I guess I could live like this for a while.

The smell attracted unwanted attention, a large puma. The fire gave it pause and gave us a chance to get our bows. We both loosed our arrows at the same time. The puma slumped with two arrows in its chest. I wonder how good puma meat is? As always happens that is when the fish decide to bite. We got to the poles before they were pulled in the lake. What a day!

The coat of the puma was kept for the leather it would make as well as the meat and I kept the claws. We finished up and headed back into the castle. We had enough meat to last awhile and fish too.

To be continued
As always all Life Giving Comments are Welcome and Loved!
up
185 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

wild domesticity

Alecia Snowfall's picture

wild domesticity. nice chapter Gypsy. this should become rather interesting.

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Puma meat.... I suppose it

Puma meat.... I suppose it tastes like cat food......
Story feels a little stilted like a diary.
Try using a more prose like format.
Even though I wasn't able to tan it, the skin was as soft as velvet and I decided to keep it along with the meat, though the innards except for the gut were disposed of in the fire
The gut would help to maintain the bowstrings and the claws might be usable as decoration or even needles for leather work..

R&R

Jamie Lee's picture

Sometimes it helps getting away from a stressful situation.

But what will be waiting when they go back?

Others have feelings too.

Nice Tale

I'm really interested in your story. It seems to have some twists that are unique. Your grammar is improving as you write. Good job.

Gwen

Cool

You make medieval life sounds good. Maybe they don't have to go anyway.