Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2777

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2777
by Angharad

Copyright© 2015 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
*****

After dropping the offspring to school, where Danielle still seemed preoccupied, I drove on to the university. Diane presented me with a cuppa as I walked in—how does she know I’ve arrived? I’d love to find out but am certainly not going to ask her.

I took my dormouse mug of steaming tea—that’s a mug with a photo of a torpid dormouse on one side and one perched on a branch on the other. Simon got it for me—I have six of them, white bone china. The other five are in my study at home but I don’t dare use them at home, there, my cups have had about the same lifespan as a World War Two fighter pilot, so they are for work only. He did offer to get me a set of unbreakable ones, but they were either enamel or plastic—no thanks.

I had just sat myself down and opened my file of new post when I nearly spat my tea all over the first item. It was entitled,‘Gender Diversity and Equality.’ Apparently the department of culture was concerned that all UK universities should write back to his department letting him know how we were dealing with gender different students or staff. It was forwarded to me from the Dean’s office.

I picked up the phone and dialled Tom’s number. “Dean’s Office,” answered Pippa.

“Is old fuzzy face in?” I enquired.

“That’s a nice way to talk about your father.”

“Never mind the moralising, is he?” He hadn’t mentioned anything about his schedule for a few days.

“I shall make enquiries, Professor.” Pippa and I often played games on the phones as we so rarely saw each other these days.

“I can put you through now, Professor.”

“Cathy?”

“Who else, Daddy?”

“Weel mak’ it quick, I’ve a meeting in ten minutes.”

“Why have you sent me this note from the Department of Culture?”

“Whit note wis that?”

“One about making provision for transgender students and staff.”

“I cannae remember.”

“The diversity and equality protocol surely covers it all, doesn’t it?”

“Probably, it protected ye alricht, didn’t it?”

“As far as I know.”

“Aye weel send it back wi’ that as a note and Pippa will send it off.”

“Do we have any more transgender students or staff?”

“Aye, one or twa.”

“Okay, see you later, Daddy.”

“Alricht, hen.”

So we had some more did we? Nobody had said anything to me, but then did they need to? Obviously not. On one hand I wasn’t the slightest bit interested on the other I wondered if I’d met them and not noticed—which was worrying. They are either so good or I’m losing my ability to spot them at four hundred yards in pitch dark.

Actually, if they start young enough like Trish and Danielle, they make very presentable females, which is half the battle on a daily basis. It’s only when you get to relationships does it get sticky, or like that woman from Bristol, encounters with the law. I still can’t believe they sent her to a men’s prison, she was like a walking Barbie doll. Obviously she’d spent more time having plastic surgery than dealing with the legal niceties. But then people do that with all sorts of things, they’re more likely to spend money on appearances than sensible things like insurances. I know we have to pass to make life easier, but given the range of natural females, there is a bit of leeway and we don’t have to follow stereotypes. In fact doing so might make life more difficult.

I’ve read of so many girls who were stunningly beautiful who were terribly miserable because of the unwanted attention they got from men, so perhaps I should be grateful for being moderately attractive not a stunner. It must be awful to be in that position that wherever you went people wouldn’t leave you alone simply because of your looks. That’s the world in which we live where many of us are driven by our libidos or other primitive urges rather than our reasoning powers.

After lunch I was trying to calculate if I’d have time to finish something if I started it before going to collect the girls when the phone rang. It was Daddy.

“Jest something we forgot aboot this form f’ thon culture people.”

“What did we forget?”

“We need tae hae a named person as thae transgender representative.”

“I’m sure with your charm you’ll persuade someone into doing it; perhaps these other people you know of.”

“Actually I wis thinkin’ perhaps ye’d dae it?”

“Why would I want to do it?”

“Ye’re a senior member o’ staff, ye’ve experience o’ it yersel’ and wi’ others. Ye’d be perfect—sae I’ll jest pit yoe rname doon .”

“I don’t want to do it, Daddy. Sorry an’ all that but I’m saying no and meaning it.”

“But why—ye’re sae well qualified?”

“Because I don’t. I don’t want to carry this stigma around with me for evermore. I may have a history of being transgendered but I don’t feel it applies to me anymore and there are probably better people out there who’d do it better than I. I don’t want to be involved anymore.”

“Whit aboot yer girls?”

“That’s different, obviously I can’t divorce myself from their experiences past, present or future; but I don’t have to be involved in every other one that happens in this city. I don’t even know if I understand half of the different categories people are claiming these days—many of which I suspect show they’re not gender different but bonkers.”

“Aye alricht, we’ll find someone else, wud ye dae it until then?”

“No—I’m sorry, Daddy, but I don’t want anything more to do with it, full stop.”

“Okay, I’ll see ye later, then.”

“Yes, I’ve got to collect the girls in a little while.”

“Okay, bye.” He rang off and I felt totally exasperated. Why can’t people who know me very well understand that just because I have a history of gender dysphoria and have several children with it, that I want to be involved in every case in the neighbourhood? I don’t, I don’t understand where people are going with it—what the hell do they need fifty genders on twitter or facebook, why would I want to be addressed as Mx. I’m quite happy with binaries, you Tarzan me Jane—suits me fine. So what other people do is up to them, just don’t ask me to play—and I don’t care what their reasoning is, whether it’s biological or simply because today is Thursday, I can’t understand it nor really want to. If that makes me a regressive—tough, at least I know what I am—an adult female, or woman. What they want to be is up to them, I’m not stopping them but neither am I encouraging them because I think it’s all got very silly.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
255 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Bike 2777

rlarueh007's picture

I can't think of better qualified person but you! Richard

Ah isn't that old Fezziwig?

Hey, people are exploring. My voice therapist acquaintance has a gender variant son who dresses up like a girl whenever he wants to but still identifies as a boy. *shrug*

It is what it is. They are like the new Hippie generation. When they get older they will likely fall back into more traditional modes of presentation, their social survival in the workplace will demand it.

But, they do a great service in astroturfing the right of free choice and loosens up people's straitlaced view of their gender.

Cathy is a traditionalist though she is a bit young to be one actually. She is sadly not LGB savvy either.

Hi,

Hi,
I am guessing that Cathy is not LGB savvy, because she has never seen herself to fit into that aspect of life. She has simply seen herself as a female, girl then woman. If you don't fit the categories, then you will generally not relate. This is why I also suspect so many in the LGB community do not "get it" when it comes to those who are TS/TG; and going from MTF or FTM.
They just don't get it or understand why anyone would wish to do that. It simply does not fit into their mind concept of male and female.
You can easily be a Lesbian or Gay or BI; as that does not change your sex (gender). TS/TG does or can.
Just my take on it all.
PEACE, Janice Lynn

My sympathy is with Cathy

Rhona McCloud's picture

She just wants to get on with her life as the person she is, letting her character develop with experience but the public world wants fixed ‘personalities’ and ‘characters’ to act as stereotypes for an audience. Somehow I don't think she is going to escape easily.

Rhona McCloud

In one sense

Cathy doesn't have any choice. She is successful, well known and it is way too late to hide. She is well known. While fame is fleeting too many know and remember. It is too late to go stealth, baring moving to a new part of the world.

It is not fair. It just is.

I read this morning ...

... in Cathy's and my newspaper of choice that there had been a big increase in the referal of children to a top gender clinic in the UK. What I found surprising was there were more ftm referals than mtf. The former must be a much more difficult journey to undertake - at least physically.

I remember as a child in the 1940s that the co-op 'milkman' was universally known as Bertie and always wore trousers and beret. She was definitely female but presented as male and nobody turned a hair. I think if the reverse had been true the attitudes would have been different.

Robi

Cathy is an extremely successful role model

at least for the "t" part of "lgbt" whether she wants to be or not. But perhaps is really is time to pass the day to day and committee torch to someone else.

Trans rep

I am 'out' and very visible, and I can't do 'stealth', never could. I therefore took on an advocacy role and, perhaps, a position as a role model, though that isn't how I see myself. What I DO see is offering myself up as both an example and as a 'go to' person for trans issues in my workplace.
I have real issues with monitoring numbers, but many organisations are obsessed with this, perhaps because they feel they can gain kudos from being seen as inclusive. Unfortunately, what a lot of the number-crunching bean counters forget is that they are dealing with human beings who may have major issues, and not with 'units'.

I also have responsibilities in all areas of TG life, not just the binary TS box that carries both Cathy Cameron and myself. I have said several times here that I do not 'get' crossdressing, and by that I mean that it is not an area my own mind connects with. I similarly do not connect emotionally with non-binary, genderfluid, genderqueer, etc; I am just a normal woman in the classic gender binary sense. I do, however, have to represent and assist such people, so I have made it my business to learn about them, and I do my best for them.