Slave of the Fae: Chapter 12

Printer-friendly version

This is the second part of the story. These chapters are rougher, but I think they're ok. Feel free to let me know what works and what doesn't. Enjoy.

I walked through the halls of the Bitter Winds Steading, wearing a plain, pitch black dress that seemed to radiate the cold within me. Crier was at my side, the golden sheathe blazed with light, my fingers tapped the hilt to a tune only I could hear. The other slaves I passed seemed saddened, at least those that could focus on the here and now. We had been cut down by one. At the order of the Lord and Lady, I'd been forced to kill my friend.

He'd tried to kill me first, but I had killed him.

The slaves looked at me fearfully, I couldn't blame them. Calandri had explained it to me when I came back to her, to my home. “Now that the fighter is dead, the Lord and the Lady need a new fighter. As the slayer, you are chosen,” she'd told me, so happily I could see the flames leaping in her eyes.

“What does that mean?”

“When we need entertainment, or a challenge you'll be called to fight. If a human or a fae displeases one of importance, you'll be called to deal out the punishment,” she told me.

It took a few seconds to sink in. “I'll have to kill again?”

“Yes, in glorious combat. You shall bring me great honour, you have fulfilled my every wish. You have made me proud and no one shall call you Ant again, Alex,” she said, using my new name. The one I'd chosen moments before to remember my friend, as he'd chosen his new name to honour the friend he'd been forced to kill.

I wondered if someone would choose my name when I finally died.

Entering the cafeteria, I saw it was full of people, more people than I'd seen in the steading. All twenty-two of us. There was real food laid out on wooden tables, not the leaves and twigs we usually ate. Mrs. Jones came over, smiling but crying into her water logged cheeks.

“Oh Amber, I'm so proud of you,” she said hugging me. “You did marvelously, it's a shame though that Sam left, not able stand being beaten by a girl I suppose. You're a very important person now.”

I wanted to hug her back, but the way she talked about Sam made me want to cry. I couldn't cry, not here, not like this, not if I was suppose to fight more. If I started to cry I didn't think I would be able to stop. I muttered something and pushed her away, ignoring her sobs.

“I have trodden the wine press alone; and of the people there was none with me: for I will tread them in mine anger, and trample them in my fury; and their blood shall be sprinkled upon my garments, and I will stain all my raiment. Isaiah ch. LXIII, v. 3,” Walter quoted, looking at me with his dead, dusty eyes. It was surprising seeing him outside of his library.

As usual I had no idea what to say to him. It's hard talking to someone who only quotes old books most of which I'd never heard of.

Sin's glittering purple fingers touched my long hair which had changed to a dull, coppery red. “You need a haircut to match your new position, I would gladly make you look like a demon, so fierce none would challenge you. Just like the you, you will eventually become.”

“No thank you, Sin. No demons. There are enough here already.”

She pouted, “Aren't you a demon, Anthony? Or are you Alex now?”

“Alex, and I'm not a demon yet,” I told her.

“We could get you prepared for it. You never know what yesterday will bring,” she said.

“Then we wait for tomorrow, or yesterday. Not today,” I said.

There were more people wanting to talk to me. Wanting to offer advice, congratulate me, talk to me. I listened to them all. Briefly. My fingers didn't leave Crier, tapping out the song that had been going through my head since fighting Sam. I wondered how they would fight me when the time finally came. Would they beg and scream? Fight as hard as they could? Welcome their end? I had been considering these things since Calandri had told me the news. I saw their faces replacing Sam's as he looked at me with Crier in his gut. How many would I 'honour' as Crier wanted?

Finally Paula spoke, raising her wine glass high. Everyone stopped talking immediately, they'd just seen her power, she could break most of them physically, but she didn't need to. Being the Lady's pet let her destroy her enemies with a word. They respected that. Or feared it. I'd come to realize there was very little difference between the two.

“Everyone, let us raise a cup to our newest fighter who will uphold the honour of the steading and all of the humans living here,” she said, taking a sip of her wine.

“But this isn't just a celebration. Our dear, dear companion Samantha has died. It is a heavy blow, but I'm certain we'll be stronger with the one who defeated her at our side,” she said, smiling with her too wide mouth.

My tongue was too big for my mouth, I couldn't speak. I couldn't cry. I could only glare at her, wishing she was dead. I turned to leave.

The woman needed to get in one last parting shot. “Now let us all remember who keeps us safe, and keep it in mind in the future. A toast to our surviving fighter,”

No one got in my way, one look at my flaming eyes was enough to clear a path.

**

I stood in a clearing in the park where Sam and I had spent what little peaceful time we'd had together, I held Crier before me. My muscles shook from rage, Sam was dead at my hands, because of Paula, and there was nothing I could do about it. It was wrong.

“I need to be stronger Crier. Teach me to be stronger,” I demanded. I was done begging.

The bushes rustled around me. I saw the dead coming towards me, Sam led them.

Tears finally came to my eyes, and I began to dance.

**

Calandri came to me later that day, I was sweating and tired from training, my black dress was torn and hung limply with sweat, I just wanted to have a shower. She was brilliant in a gown of flowing water, the blue and white water clung to her skin, barely obscuring her flesh, running down along her body, forming a skirt of mist as it hit her feet. Her hair flickered like a torch, crackling and popping in time with the running water. She looked stronger than before.

Wiping the sweat from my brow, I looked up at her sheathing Crier. “Hello Calandri.”

She frowned slightly. “Alex, won't you smile for me? You have such a beautiful smile.”

My lips curved upwards automatically. She'd kept her promises to me, she deserved the respect. But there was no real feeling put in it. My eyes stayed the same, dull embers of pain and hate. She didn't seem to notice.

“That's so much better,” she said, her red face glowed. “Now you'll be spending more time with the Fae, especially the lords and ladies, you must learn how to behave. Our last fighter never cared, and look at what happened to him.”

My smile faltered, and my hand slid to Crier. Music came to my ears. Closing my eyes, I forced the rage down, the dirge quieted into a background thrumming in my blood. “Teach me, Calandri.”

She waved her hand as if shooing away a bug. “I don't have time for that, I must return to my own duties. You'll be trained by Paula, for a human she is quite good with courtly courtesies.”

“NO!” I yelled. “Not her!”

Calandri's eyes narrowed, her red flaming hair turned pale blue. “What did you say?”

“If you make me speak to her I'll kill her,” I said, drawing Crier.

Smoke rose from her hands. “You wouldn't dare. She is the Lady's pet, if you harm a hair on her head she will rip your soul from your chest and I'll be in her disfavour. Do not EVER speak like that again.”

“She made me kill Sam! She tried to kill me! I don't care about the La-”

I was knocked to the floor by a slap which made my teeth rattle. My cheek burned, gingerly I touched my face and felt blisters rising on my skin. On my knee's I looked up at the Fae. Her dress was boiling from the flames erupting through her skin, flames came from her mouth. “You will not speak ill the Lady! You will not harm her pet! You will do as you are told or you will answer to me.”

A part of me wanted to cower, beg her to forgive me. The other part was stronger, blood pounded in my ears, Crier was behind me, his long shadow looked down at me. He sneered. “Is this how you deal with an enemy, kneeling before them as they strike you? Where is your fire?”

“DIE!” I screamed, leaping to my feet. Crier sliced through the air in a perfect swing. The blade hit her dress, splashing water across the room. But Calandri wasn't there.

A burning hand touched my back. Flesh seared as my dress caught fire. I spun out of her reach, kicking out as I did. I was rewarded by a small grunt of pain from Calandri. She jumped back looking surprised. “Are you insane?” she asked.

“I will not be in the same room as Paula. I'm not weak anymore. I'm a killer.”

She smiled. “Prove it.”

Crier blurred, as my dress swirled around me, hiding my feet and legs. I feinted at her head making her lean back, even as my foot connected with her knee. Calandri stumbled, and I rushed in, swinging to take her head off. Calandri raised her hand, not taking her eyes off of me. I pierced her palm, the black blade came to a stop a centimeter from her face. I pressed down, but Crier refused to move. Calandri didn't even flinch.

“You are a killer,” she said. Flame rose from her hand. Crier glowed red. “But I'm your master.”

I couldn't move Crier. The blade radiated heat. I tried to let go. My hands were stuck to the hilt. I was sweating from the heat, my damp dress steamed. I kicked at her, only to scream as I hit a wall of heat. My foot was burning, I felt the skin splitting.

“I protected you. I kept my side of the bargain. You are mine until I say differently. If you disagree, we can have another discussion. But it will hurt more,” she said. Her voice was the roar of a blazing fire, her body a pale blue flame.

The cherry red heat rose up the blade, reaching the hilt. My hands sizzled, and I smelled burning meat. For the first time since killing Sam the music in my head disappeared, overpowered by my screams.

**

I came to in a large bath, the cool, bubbly, water felt heavenly on my skin. Calandri's warm hands stroked my long hair. Trying to raise my burned hand out of the bath took all my energy, I was as weak as a kitten. Looking at my hands I saw it was healed, all that reminded me of the fight was a small scar in the shape of a flame.

“I'm sorry we had that fight, Alex,” Calandri whispered in my ear. “I don't want to see you hurt, but you have to learn to follow instructions. All you have to do is take some classes and learn how to behave, and you won't be hurt again. Is that so hard?”

I wanted to plead with her to change her mind. To tell her that I couldn't work with Paula. But that would be begging, there was no way I would beg to anyone. Defeat I could accept, but not begging. “Ok, I'll learn from Paula.”

She kissed my forehead. “Thank you Alex. I've prepared a wonderful meal for you. Who do you want to join you? You can have anyone you wish.”

No.

I couldn't.

“Thank you Calandri, but I'll eat it by myself.”

We finished the bath, and she dried me off. The clothing she gave me were a surprise, blue jeans and a t-shirt. They looked like what I used to wear, just changed to fit my body. I fought back tears as I put them on.

She was right about the dinner, it was a feast. It tasted like ash.

up
116 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Bitter

terrynaut's picture

Here's yet more of this wondrous tale. I'm happy to see it continue.

Ah, the bitter taste of a pyrrhic victory. I'd like to see Alex be able to go home again, but what I need to see is karma catching up to Paula. I'll be watching and waiting.

Thanks and kudos (number 13).

- Terry

Things are going to be

Domoviye's picture

Things are going to be interesting for both Paula and Alex. And karma is a strange and fickle bitch in my stories.

Interesting concept of the

Interesting concept of the winner receiving the name of the defeated. It almost smacks of the practices of cannibals or those Aztec rituals where the captives of other tribes were eaten or their blood drank to give the victors their enemies strengths and spirits.

Hadn't thought of it like that.

Domoviye's picture

I had Sam start it to honour his friend not as a victory trophy. Anthony did the same. It was seen as cutting themselves off from their old lives now that they're, in their own eyes, monsters, while keeping something of the person they respected alive.

Karma

Renee_Heart2's picture

Will get Paula I'm waiting for her & Alix to fight to the death Alix will take her.

I feel for Alix she had to kill her friend due to Paula's treachery & I hope she pays for it

Will wait & watch to see what happens.

Love Samantha Renee Heart

Paula

Domoviye's picture

has an interesting part to play, and her end is suitably Fae. But that will be a few chapters away.

This chapter answer my curiosity

I thought he will be able to kill Calandri but a futile attempt. Now it is obvious Calandri is much much more powerful and who know how powerful is the 'Lady'. Well, no choice but to swallow the given fate. (I hope you understand my poor english)

Promises

Alex does not need to break her promise to Paula to get her justice, while she promised not to kill her there was no promise not to make her wish for the release of death from her punishment.

True

Domoviye's picture

But does the curse work by intent or exactly as worded. Torturing someone until they agree to slit their throat isn't killing them personally but does the same thing.