Masquerades

Printer-friendly version

A short piece about office life for this Halloween season

The utter drudgery of revising TPS reports sent Phoebe's mind wandering. She thought about the pumpkin bisque that was simmering in the slow cooker back in her apartment, and planned to pop a couple sourdough breadsticks from the freezer in the oven while she dressed for dinner and did her makeup, after taking a shower to wash off the day's worries. It hadn't been that long since her last laser treatment, so she didn't need to shave anywhere and the shower should go quickly. She wiggled her toes to be reminded of the deep cherry polish on her toenails. If it had been a Friday she'd be able to do up her fingers to match, but it wasn't. Maybe she'd just paint them with one coat of color without attaching the fakes, just so they wouldn't clash.

Phoebe realized that if she was sure her toes would be visible, she must have already decided which shoes she wanted, and her silver open-toed d'Orsay pumps immediately sprang to mind. So apparently she was going to dress for dinner more formally than usual. Of course the real motivator was that new blue dress that had arrived the day before. It had looked absolutely gorgeous on the webpage; she just had to get it! But it was a "body conscious" style, and that would mean wearing her most complicated foundation garments underneath to get the right shape. Ironically, she hated being conscious of her body but loved having to force her figure into curves.

She thought the dress would work well with her shorter blonde wig with the messy waves. Its bangs came down far enough that if she combed her eyebrows they wouldn't look too thick. She was pretty sure that she'd be able to nail the latest eyeshadow technique from her favorite artist's YouTube channel, so they'd be the focus of her look and she wouldn't want to draw too much attention from her eyes with a really bright lipstick or jewelry that was too flashy. Maybe just simple silver hoops to coordinate with her shoes, a couple wrist bangles, a simple crystal pendant pointing at her enhanced cleavage, and the diamond solitaire she'd bought to wear on her left ring finger because no one else was ever going to get her one.

"Isn't that great?" Phoebe snapped out of her reverie to realize that Josh was standing at the cubicle doorway and must have been talking for a while.

"Sorry, I was concentrating on these reports. What did you say?"

Josh smirked. "Zoning out over actual work stuff? I guess that's why they promoted you. Anyway, I said that the bosses decided that to improve morale, everyone can come into work in a costume next Friday, for Halloween. Won't that be great? Just imagine if Becky from Accounting shows up as a sexy tiger or something – it'll be awesome, dude!"

Phoebe shrugged, and Josh left to go share his news with someone who'd share his enthusiasm. Costume Day wouldn't be anything special for Phoebe, just like every other day she'd be coming into work pretending to be a guy named Harold.

up
235 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

unblocked

This piece isn't much, but it finally got me writing again. I don't know if this was a fluke.

Thanks for the Shorty

Hope this is just the start of new stories from you.

Short and poignant, however

You are writing again!
Wouldn't it be wonderful if no one, Phoebe included, felt the need to wear a costume? I ocassionally go back and reread one of your old stories. I especially enjoy Oscar Night and Ready? Okay!.

Hope your muse stays with you!

_Bev_

Phoebe had in mind...

she would be dressing for something in the blue dress. We were excited for her. The power of your writing helped us feel for Howard, whom many of us identify with.
It is nice to have you back writing.
Can Phoebe come out more?

Hugs, Jessica C

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

Well now is the time for

Well now is the time for Phoebe to make her grand entrance. Who is to say it is just a Halloween costume--or NOT?

Life long....

Andrea Lena's picture

...having to pretend every day. Very appropriate if still painful for so many of us on the National Coming Out Day. And I'm thrilled to see one of my favorite authors writing again. Looking forward to more! Thank you!

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

still

Andrea Lena's picture

a favorite and a dear!

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Nice

Jamie Lee's picture

This is a nice little story.

Others have feelings too.

Jennifer's Muse back on the job! Yay!

Jenni dear, lovely scene you have painted here, think maybe, just maybe Phoebe might be coming to work on Friday? A girls got to start somewhere! Miss you in chat Jenni, Loving Hugs Talia

Ps. Chat room addy, http://chat.bigclosetr.us/c/ , add- #mainroom in channel

painful, but hopeful too

One hopes she can find a way to drop the costume ...

DogSig.png

nothing worse...

... than writer's block..... Anything you produce is a good step. Good luck - there's material to work with here. Ginger x

Delighted

It is truly lovely to see your handiwork again. We all know pretty much where the story was probably headed if we paid any heed to the heading info that says what length it is and read how it starts out, but you set up the finale very well, and phrased the last sentence so perfectly that it has exactly the full impact you must have been trying for, whether it saw it coming or not. It is all in the timing, as they say, and that last sentence scans just perfectly (IMHO)! And your beginning and middle were a nice little 'Walter Mitty' reverie about the details of Phoebe's secret life that we enjoy reading in its own right.

Also, purely as a matter of personal tastes, it feels like there are more than enough stories to be found in recent years about schoolgirls, so it is refreshing when a story is about an actual adult again. Thank you for that. :-)

Memory does not serve well right now, so this might be a wrong guess: are TPS reports what the boss is always on about in the film 'Office Space'?

Thank you for sharing your story with us, it was our pleasure! :-)

Annie

Yeaaaaah

You remember correctly. TPS Reports were featured in Office Space. I used it as a shorthand for general corporate drudgery.

Thanks for your kind comment

Excellent!

While I am pretty sure I read this one before, I see I didn't leave a comment. I'm sorry. The re-read was prompted by Masquerades 2 and this time I have to say how much I liked this. Short, but sweet and with an awesome O. Henry twist in the last line. Nailed it!

>>> Kay

Thank u

Glad you liked it! Not sure I agree that I'm as twisty as O. Henry, but I'll take it.