Birthday Blues ~ Part 7

Printer-friendly version

Gerry’s eighteenth birthday celebration starts out on a decidedly sour note. A chance encounter changes that—and the course of his life. This is the story of that encounter and its repercussions.

Part Seven: Which Way Out?


Birthday Blues ~ Part 7


The implications of that simple word uttered by Jenn are devastating…

I groan—I had intentionally kept that tidbit to myself… I sink back into the coach and have to fight off a sudden onslaught of tears… I am semi-successful.

As Mom comes in, Jenn whispers, “I think it is a good thing that I used waterproof mascara, Deirdre!”

Mom looks at the two of us and says, “Jennifer? I thought that was your car! It is great to see you here…” Her voice trails off as she sees me and she blinks in surprise…

Of course, I haven’t seen what she has done to my face; but from the look on Mom’s face, I must look like a clown, or something.

She finally gets her voice back and says, “Ger… Deirdre, you look…beautiful! I never would have imagined… What made you decide to…?”

Jennifer speaks up and says, “Hi, Mrs. M…it was my idea. I hope you don’t mind…I didn’t really have the right cosmetics, but I did the best with what I had…”

Mom goes over and hugs Jennifer and says, “Hon! It looks wonderful! It was just a surprise is all… We just need to do something with the hair…”

I say, “What is all of the fuss about? I mean, Jenn sort of blackmailed me into this… Maybe I had better go see for myself! It was NOT my idea!”

Jenn says, “The hair… Hmmm… Mrs. M, you don’t have any hair gel, or better putty, do you?”

Mom just nods and says, “Hold on. I will be right back.”

While she goes upstairs, Jenn starts brushing my fairly short hair with a brush she pulls out of her purse.

Mom comes back down in a couple of minutes with the tube of something. Jenn takes it and squeezes some out in her hand, then spreads it onto both hands, and starts playing with my hair. After a minute, or so, Mom says, “Jenn! That is perfect!”

I look at them both wondering again what the fuss is about. I get up and hurry into the downstairs bathroom before either of them can say anything else and nearly have a heart attack when I see myself in the mirror. I don’t see a ‘Gerry’ at all…there is no doubt that a ‘Deirdre’ is looking back at me—and she is pretty hot. Of course, she has the same issues as Gerry…about twenty too many pounds…

I sigh and turn off the light. When I get back to the living room, Mom and Jenn are in a girly zone, talking about things I have no comprehension of…makeup. Jenn is talking about how she did whatever it is she did to my eyelids… I remember seeing them in the mirror…it was wild how they just drew ALL the attention to my eyes… Just like hers do on her own face.

Mom looks at Jenn and asks, “Jenn, would you like to eat with us? I am thinking we can go to TGIF at the mall…maybe do a bit of shopping after that?”

Jenn smiles and says, “Sure, that sounds awesome, Mrs…Claudia… We can go to Yuengling’s, the store that I work at on the weekends—I get a discount there!”

I look at the two of them, totally lost. I ask myself, ”Since when does Mom let my friends call her Claudia? Weird!”

I look at them and ask, “Err…if we are going out, how do I get this stuff off of my face?”

Mom laughs and says, “You don’t, silly! Why would you want to ruin that perfectly good makeover? Come on so we can beat the crowd! But before we go, you really need to put on your heels… You need the practice; I am surprised that you didn’t put them on when you got home!”

Jenn’s eyebrows go up at that, but she just grins as I start to put up a fuss. Mom, however, makes it clear that we don’t have time to argue and that I need to hurry up. I just give up and go to my room to grab the heels Mom had bought me and get in the car thinking I am going to die of embarrassment.

Mom and Jenn just keep talking the whole way about more stuff I have no idea about…now, it is all about purses—Coach and Louis Vooton, or something like that…

I just sort of ignore them and reluctantly change out of my sports shoes and into the heels. Thankfully, I had also remembered to grab some of the knee-high stockings that Mom had made me get, since the socks I am wearing would not work in the heels. After I change shoes, I think about what I have gotten myself into THIS time. Compared to Mom and Jenn, I am underdressed in my designer jeans and sweater. Mom is still in her business casual outfit, not a suit, but still very nice clothes. Jenn, as always, is in a dress. Both of them are wearing heels at least an inch higher than the ones I have to wear—but this is my first time wearing them, other than trying them on. This should be fun—NOT!

We get out at the mall at what seems at least a mile from the restaurant. I think Mom did it on purpose to make me walk more. My first several steps are very wobbly and I really think I am going to break an ankle. To their credit, neither Mom nor Jenn laugh—they just start showing me how to navigate the heels. They have me walk in and out of between the cars, around them, and in figure eights; placing one foot in front of the other; heel-toe, heel-toe, heel toe... It is strange hearing the click-clacking of ‘my’ heels on the concrete.

By the time we get to the mall entrance, I am clicking pretty much in unison with them and don’t think I look like a TOTAL dork—well, walking anyway. I am still sure that people will start pointing fingers and laughing at me any minute.

To my surprise, no one makes fun of me, or stares at me—not even as we wait to be seated at the restaurant. We follow the hostess to our table: I am still self-consciously looking around. The hostess, Mandy, hands us our menus and says, “Grace will be your server. Enjoy your meal, ladies!” Thankfully, it is dark enough in the restaurant that no one can see me blush.

Mom starts a new thing when I am picking my meal. She gives me a stare and says, “Hon, I think it best if you stick with a low-cal salad. If you thought you had problems with your weight before, just wait…female hormones are murder…”

I sigh and pick out a small salad and a cup of soup…


After we eat, it is out into the mall. Mom and Jenn make me walk up and down the entire length of the mall three times to continue practicing walking in the heels, then we go to Yuengling’s.

Jennifer takes us straight to the makeup counter and greets the young girl working there, “Hi, Britt! Meet Deirdre and her mom, Mrs. McIntosh. They would both like a complete consult and then anything they buy will be on my discount, OK? If you want, I can do Mrs. M., if you want to do Deirdre?”

Britt smiles and says, “Hi Deirdre, hi Mrs. McIntosh! That sounds great! Yes, Jenn, I’ll do Deirdre if you want to do her Mom.”

Before I know what has hit me, I am in a chair and Britt is wiping off my face with makeup remover towelettes. Then she starts doing little trials with different colored liquids to match my skin tone. Once she has settled on the right tone, she goes to work reapplying everything, explaining every step and showing me in the mirror. I want to ignore what she is doing, but I can’t—for two reasons. First, Mom is sitting there with Jenn doing her…and she is watching me. Second, in spite of myself, I am fascinated by what she is doing to me. I thought Jenn had miraculously made me look like a girl before; what Britt is doing with the ‘right’ makeup now makes what Jenn had done look like a petty attempt.

I stare at myself in the mirror when she is done and whisper, “Wow! Look at me…”

Britt says, “Yes, you’re really lovely. You have a nice complexion to begin with, so that helps. Now, this is an evening look, like you would normally wear when out in the mall at this time of night; you know, like you currently are. Of course, you should use much less at school—or at work—during the day.”

I look over at Mom and she looks HOT when Jenn is done with her. She pulls out her credit card and says, “We will take the complete package for both of us!” She pays the over two hundred dollars for the cosmetics without blinking; I have no idea what it would have cost without Jenn’s discount…

When we start walking up and down the mall again, I say, “Mom, that was a lot of money to spend on something I may not really ever use.”

Mom looks at me and says, “Oh, but I fully expect you, when Deirdre, to wear makeup like any girl your age should. I am sure that Jennifer will be happy to give you lessons—she is a master at it. Just look at me! I haven’t felt this pretty in years! And you, well, Hon, you look amazing… I wondered about this ‘endeavor’, at first, but you are lovely… I am glad that you are getting to experience being a girl. It is not easy being one, but it does have its merits.”

Jennifer giggles at that and says, “Of course I will teach you makeup skills, Dee… It will be just like we are sisters! And you are very pretty, Mrs. M.”

As I listen to the two of them, I get this sinking feeling that they are both as into this as Vicki, now. I am beginning to wonder if I will ever get to really see Gerry again…other than my little window at school; a window that is becoming smaller and smaller with every minute, it seems…

I look at Jenn and ask, “Dee? Where did that come from?”

Mom says, “I love it! That is what your great-grandmother was called in her younger years, too. I used to call her Grandma Dee.” She smiles at the memories that seems to conjure up for her.

Jenn just giggles and says, “It just seems to fit you… And you DO call me ‘Jenn’…”

I roll my eyes and feel like I just fell deeper into the rabbit hole. Now I have a girl’s nickname… That just seems to cement it all the more…


I get up the next morning and go into my bathroom; I am momentarily startled to see all of the new cosmetics on my vanity; then I remember the events of yesterday. I notice that I am starting to really feel different; I can’t explain it. I just feel different. I do seem to be getting better control of my emotions now, so maybe it is just that my hormones are leveling out. I wonder if this is what a girl feels like? I can’t say it is either good or bad; well, it is not bad—so I guess I just can’t say whether it better or worse…

I get into the shower, again shocked when I see my butt in the mirror as I climb in. I am still not used to the butterfly on it. I quickly finish the shower and hurry to my room to get dressed. I look in my closet and see that Mom has really done what she said she would—she has removed anything that is not a girl’s piece of clothing. That doesn’t mean that I necessarily have to look girly with what I have available, but I have no choice but to feel that way.

I put on a pair of designer jeans and again find myself loving the soft, stretchy feel, in spite of myself. I look in the mirror and know that guy’s jeans aren’t cut this way. These sit lower on my hips and are tighter in the thighs, well in the legs, in general—but they could pass as a guy’s skinny jeans, I guess. I put on a white camisole, then a camel sweater, making sure my undies’ lace is all covered up. I finish it all up with white socks and sports shoes, both of which are girl’s, but not really girly

I sigh that the pockets in the jeans won’t really hold anything and stick my stuff in my messenger bag. I go downstairs and grab a breakfast bar and leave the house, locking the door behind me; Mom has already left for work. I walk down the street to Jenn’s house. She opens the door and tells me to come in. Her parents have both left for work, too.

She has me sit down and says, “OK, Dee. I am going to do some light makeup. No one is going to know; I promise. Only you will—well, and me…” She giggles and puts a light coat of mascara on my lashes and some light pink gloss on my lips.

She says, “We will ramp it up every few days…I wager that no one will ever really notice it, since it will be so gradual.”

I sigh and look in the mirror. She is right. It is not really visible, but I absolutely know it is there and that is a weird feeling… What is weirder, is that I sort of miss the look from last night… I look so…plain, right now. I shake my head at my own thoughts and we get ready to go.

We get into Jenn’s car and she drives us to school. And so, the second day of school for the week starts. It is much the same as yesterday—only today is even less of a problem with my little guy. I am constantly worried that someone will notice my clothes or the makeup. If anyone does, they don’t say anything. Since I doubt most anyone in high school wouldn’t not say anything about it, I am pretty sure no one notices.

Also, since Dan is not here to buddy up with, I find myself being more included in Jenn’s clique as the day progresses. This feels strange, since, of course, it is a bunch of girly-girls, but Jenn somehow has convinced them to accept me; although, I am sure some of THEM probably notice some of my ‘choices’ and don’t say anything…

At lunch, I am at Jenn’s table and I look over at my normal table as the girls talk about the things that girls talk about. I pull my phone out of my bag and send Dan’s mom a text. She sends back that there is no news—and no improvement. She tells me I am welcome to stop by, but that it is so depressing that it is probably better if I don’t, at the moment.

I am bummed the rest of the day in class. I am still in such a funk when Jenn is driving us home that I don’t even notice her stop at the mall. She pulls a bag out from the back seat and hands it to me. I give her a funny look and peek inside. I see a pair of heels, higher than the ones from yesterday, and several containers of makeup. She quickly ‘fixes’ my face and says that we will practice that later. Then she makes me put on the heels and go into the mall with her.

In spite of the inch higher heel, I really don’t have a lot of problem after yesterday. We walk for about an hour with her giving me pointers on how turn or go up and down stairs. Not only am I getting practice on walking in heels, but she is making us walk fast…it is a lot of exercise, too…

From there, we go home, do our homework, and she gives me a makeup lesson.

And so, the week continues. The same routine every day. By Friday morning, I am wearing eyeliner along with heavier (but not really heavy) mascara to school. The eyeliner is a very thin line, but it is there. As of the Thursday ‘mall-walk’, I can easily navigate five-inch heels and can also do a pretty decent job of putting on my own make up. My little guy—he is now as limp as a wet noodle; he is not causing me any problems with tucking, at all. Oh, I have also lost a total of five pounds.


I look at Jenn like she is crazy. It is after school on Friday and I am home getting ready for my date with Vicki.

Jenn laughs and says, “Dee, you look positively stunning with your makeup; you did an awesome job! Vicki is going to love it! So, why not go all the way and wear the dress and heels? I promise you that she will love you for it!”

I give her a pointed look and say, “A dress? Really? I don’t know… I mean… OK, I can navigate the heels, but there is so much more to think about with a dress…”

Jenn giggles and says, “Yes, there is! And we have practiced it enough that I think you will be fine. It is not second nature for you yet, but you are really good in the heels, so you won’t have to worry about tripping…just make sure you sweep your skirt before you sit—and you get in and out of the car correctly; like we have practiced.”

I sigh and say, “I only practiced those things because you blackmailed me. I wasn’t doing it to actually go out! Jenn, am I making a mistake doing this? I mean…I don’t really see myself as a girl…”

Jenn gives me ‘the look’ and says, “Dee, if you did not have a lot of girl in you, you would not have made the progress you have this week. I don’t care what you say, you like wearing makeup. I can tell by how you put it on. The way you have started opening up and talking to the other girls at lunch about girly things. The attitude you have in heels… Are you really going to try and tell me I am wrong? You can pretend to protest to others—I have known you too long…”

I blush bright red. I am sure it even shows through my makeup. I quietly pick up a dress and ask, “Which one?”


I look at Jenn and she smiles and nods. I open the door and see Vicki standing there. The look on her face when she sees me is priceless. I am standing there in a short emerald-green dress and four-and-a-half-inch stiletto heels. I am fully made up and have dangly diamond earrings in my holes. I have a shoulder-length red wig on (it is one of Mom’s old ones that she dug out of who knows where…). Even I know I look pretty stunning. I also look a lot like an old picture of my Mom I have in an album in my room—back from when she was about my age.

Vicki stutters, “Gerri…err..Deirdre? Is that you? O…M…G…! You look stunning!”

I say, “Thank you, Love. Are you coming in? I would like you to meet someone that is like a sister to me and is mostly responsible for this look… Vicki, meet Jenn. Jenn, Vicki.”

They both greet each and I can feel Vicki’s eyes still glued to me. I giggle, “You need to leave this dress on me. I can feel you undressing me with your eyes! It was hard enough for Jenn to convince me to put it on! If you take it off, I may not put it back on!”

Vicki says, “Jenn, how did you do it? She looks awesome! I mean, the difference a week makes…”

Jenn giggles and says, “The power of a sister. Our Mom’s made us honorary sisters with as much time as we have been spending together this week. We used to be best friends a long time ago and let…peer pressure push us apart. We won’t do that again. Anyway, you two better be going. I don’t want to mess up your date!”

Vicki shakes her head and says, “I talked to Dan’s mom and she said it is OK if we stop by the hospital for a few minutes. You are in the same class, right Jenn? Would you like to come along?”

Jenn shakes her head and says, “No…I…don’t think I could take that. Please tell Mrs. Vogel that I am praying for Dan and for them both, as well, every night. I really need to go home and take care of some things. I will see you on Monday, Dee.”

I go and give her one of the hugs that I not so long ago described as ‘girly’, but now is starting to become almost second nature to me with Jenn and the other girls in our clique.”

Vicki gives Jenn a hug of her own and whispers something in her ear that I can’t hear. Then we all leave the house. Jennifer walks over to her house and Vicki and I get into her car. I remember to sit and swivel with my legs together as Jenn taught me. I can tell Vicki is impressed.

Twenty minutes later, we are at the hospital. We are about to get out when I gasp and say, “Vicki! I can’t go up there like this! Mrs. Vogel doesn’t know…”

Vicki says, “Don’t worry, Dee. I like that…’Dee’! Anyway, sooner or later she is going to find out. I am here with you. I think she will be OK—you’ll see.”

She holds my hand. My heart is racing—this is the first time I will actually meet someone as ‘Dee’ that only knows me as Gerry. I really wish the circumstances were better.

We exit the elevator and Vicki holds my hand as we click-clack our way up the hall to the same room that we had waited with the Vogels in before. We walk in and I see Dan’s mom sitting in a chair in the corner. She looks haggard and very worried. She also looks very confused when we walk up to her.

I say, “Mrs. Vogel? I know you must be confused, but it is me, Gerry… I will explain in a minute, but…how is Dan? Any improvement?”

The look on her face turns from confused to stunned. She shakes her head and says, “No, nothing. They still don’t know why. He is still unresponsive, although, he is breathing on his own. There is just no explanation for the coma. His Dad is in with him—we take turns…”

I fight back the tears. I am getting better at that. But I still have to carefully wipe one away. I say, “I wish there was something I could do…” I sigh and continue, “I know you are confused about how I look. I…am experimenting with my feminine side. Seeing what it is like to be a girl. It is hard to explain…”

Mrs. Vogel smiles and says, “I see. Well, I think it is laudable to seek to better understand the other side. I will have to say that the way you look, I am not sure it really is the other side, though?”

She leaves it as a question and I feel the blush that I hope she can’t see. I giggle a little and say, “I don’t know. It is only really my first full week of…deeper…exploration. I will say that it is not exactly what I expected, but it is not bad—at least not yet… Your reaction helps, too. I was really worried about what you might think.”

She smiles; this time the smile reaches her eyes, and she says, “Well, Gerry, you know that I am open-minded. I am sure that you will find some that are not, but I am equally sure that you can handle it. You also seem to have a lot of support with your girlfriend, here. You look out for…her…, Vicki, you understand? This is a very special person…and a very good friend to my son.”

Vicki smiles and says, “Don’t worry, Mrs. Vogel. I am not the only one looking out for Dee. She has a lot of good people on her side. I am happy that you are one of them!”

We walk back out to the car after giving Mrs. Vogel hugs of encouragement. I pull down the visor and check my mascara in the little mirror on the back, knowing that it probably needs some help after the tears I shed as we all hugged.

Vicki looks at me confidently fixing the damage and says, “Wow! You look like you have done that all of your life!”

I almost giggle, but am still bummed by the overall situation, and only say, “Jenn is a great teacher…and taskmaster. Trust me, I think I have had a lifetime of practice over the last week. She wants to get into cosmetology; maybe even more permanent cosmetic procedures. Either permanent makeup and such, or actual cosmetic surgery. She is not really sure yet…” I finish fixing my eyes and flip up the visor just as we pull into the parking lot of a very nice restaurant.

By the time we are done eating my mood is better. Vicki asks, “Are you OK stopping by my parents before we go to my apartment?”

I look at her and shrug, “I guess. Any special reason?”

Vicki giggles and says, “Nothing in particular. Just a quick glass of wine and some schmoozing… It is expected in our family…”

Fifteen minutes later, Vicki parks in the Langdon’s drive. My mind is blown away by the size and grandeur of the place. We click-clack our way to the front door of the mansion and I am really nervous. The door is opened by a butler before we even reach the top of the steps. I take a surprised breath; I didn’t know there still was such a thing—at least not in this country.

Vicki leads me in as she smiles at the butler. I am really self-conscious of the clicking my heels make on the highly polished marble of the grand entrance.

The butler says, “The parents are in the red parlor, Miss Vicki.”

She smiles again and says, “Thank you, Rawlings!”

I meekly follow her towards a door…now, I know I am somewhere deep down the rabbit hole…

up
274 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I am enjoying this immensly

littlerocksilver's picture

In a different world and a different time, I would have willingly gone this route - gladly.

Portia

A Wonderful Story

Just wish that something like this had happened to me. Your characters are believable and the descriptions of events are excellent.
Hugs
Francesca

- Formerly Turnabout Girl

Thanks, Francesca! I am

Thanks, Francesca! I am really glad you like it!

HUGS!

Okay Shauna, where do people

Okay Shauna, where do people get to meet Vicki? Or for that matter Jenn? Great story, and I do hope that Dan recovers fully and with little residual problems.

If I knew that...

If I knew that...

I would have been knocking on her door DECADES ago! ;)

HUGS

I think it may be less down the rabbit hole...

...than Through The Looking Glass, since Gerry/Dierdre is spending so much time in front of them working on learning how to properly apply makeup!

This continues to be a very enjoyable story! It is so much lighter in tone than the recent Starbucks-based tale! And the relationship between Gerry/Dierdre and Vicki seems to be a much healthier one. This is a relationship that I can see continuing in the future, no matter what choice Gerry/Dierdre ultimately makes as to future lifestyle.

Once again, I thank you for sharing this tale with the rest of us; and I look forward to the next thrilling episode!

Jenny

Thanks, Jenny!

Thanks, Jenny!

I appreciate the kudos. I am trying to pace myself on this--but it is hard, at times; if I get moving too fast, it will look like it is forced and that is NOT my intent.

HUGS!

You still have "the touch"

Bobbie Sue's picture

Oh, Shauna, you're doing so well. I sit and wait for each chapter! Please keep it up. I love these soft and warm stories!

Huge hugs!

Thanks, Bobbie Sue!

Thanks, Bobbie Sue!

I am glad you are enjoying it!

HUGS!

Better as it proceeds

Jamie Lee's picture

Becoming comfortable doing something wholly outside our comfort zone can be hard to do. But Dee seems to be adjusting better than she realizes.

It's also good to see Garry upholding his promise to see this through, even though things are so much different than he or others would see as normal.

I had to reread the last chapter to remember what happened to Dan. I do hope we learn more about his condition and the cause of his illness.

Looking forward to the next chapter.

Others have feelings too.

Dan won't be forgotten. :)

Dan won't be forgotten. :)

I am glad that you continue to enjoy the story. Thanks for the kudos!

HUGS

Thanks!

I'm glad!

HUGS!
S