Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2749

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2749
by Angharad

Copyright© 2015 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
@@@@@

The fog didn’t arrive, for which I was grateful. But as I dropped the girls at school Trish asked, “There’s a total eclipse of the moon on Sunday night—can we watch it?”

“What time is it?”

“I dunno, sometime after dark, I s’pose.”

“I’m not saying yes until I know what time it is, I’m not letting you stay up half the night.”

“But it won’t happen for another thirteen years, it’s a super moon or something.”

“Da da da dad a, dad a da,” sang Danielle with one fist raised to the heavens.

“I said super moon, not Superman, stupid.” Trish got quite ratty with her elder sister, especially when the others laughed. “So can I?”

“I told you, it depends upon the time it happens. Last time I saw one, it took a couple of hours—you’re not staying up all night, that’s for sure.”

“But, Mummy, it’s a scientific event and I’ll learn loads from it.”

Arguably she knew too much now. If it wasn’t too late, I might let her watch part of it. “We’ll see, now if you keep on about it, I’ll say no for certain.”

“Oh all right, keep your ’air on.” Sometimes this child walks a very fine line and will push her boundaries too far one day and I’ll be obliged to walk all over her, which will please no one but might teach her there are limits as to what I will accept of her behaviour.

I went off to my office and dealt with a mountain of paperwork. “Did the press leave your girl alone afterwards?”

“Seems like.”

“She’s a talented soccer player?”

“Yes.”

“And she’s like you?”

“Nope, I couldn’t kick a ball to save my life.”

“I meant transgender.”

“Both of us have female birth certificates.”

Her face fell for a moment before she responded, “Now—you mean.”

“You know my history, why don’t we stop the games, Diane?”

“Fine, the fact that she’s a precocious talent wouldn’t stop you letting her talk to the press, because that’s what parents do today. That she used to be a boy and is a precocious girl soccer player, would.”

“Give the lady a coconut,” I said sarcastically, “Can we get back to matters academic now?”

“Professor, I’m not prying...”

“Aren’t you?”

“Look, I remember you from school hanging round with Siân Griffiths and you were living as boy then, at least some of the time. How you are now is obviously how you were meant to be and I have no problem working with you, in fact I admire you for having the courage to do it—don’t know if I could. That you have a daughter who’s the same is no surprise, who better to know how to cope with the problems it throws up but someone who’s gone through the same.”

I wasn’t sure how to deal with this, part of me felt indignation—what right have you to make judgements about me? Part of me felt relief, it was now out in the open. Was it going to affect the relationship? Possibly.

It shouldn’t surprise me, she’s not stupid and there’s plenty of information about me on the net if you look in the right places. Don’t think there’s anything about any of the children, so she’s guessing. However, it’s not exactly rocket science.

At least Danni doesn’t expect me to go and watch her matches anymore because Sunday clashes with the men’s world road race championship. We won’t win it not without the likes of Cavendish and Froome who are injured. Tomorrow is the rugger between England and Wales, so Tom and Si and probably Danni will be watching that—it’s tomorrow night I think. I’ll probably be doing the ironing or other chores. I’ll ask to watch the cycling on Sunday—could always watch it on my computer I suppose, except the television has a better picture and it’s bigger.

I wonder how Armitstead will do in the women’s race tomorrow? Sadly I won’t have the time to watch it, too many family demands upon me—none of which I regret, after all, I brought it all upon myself and love every moment. I don’t know if I’d have chosen to become a professor but to have become a wife and mother was the greatest ambition I could have ever aimed for.

I told Danielle I’d try and get to the odd home game for her, which I honestly will try and do. Soccer in general doesn’t interest me very much and women’s even less than the men’s game. That I have two girls who are quite good at it means I’ll go to watch them when I can afford the time, but it won’t be a priority unless the games are special. I mean a cup match for the school teams or Danielle playing for England is special and I’ll be shouting as loud as anyone—but for my children to do well.

Some would suggest I’m very selfish wanting a family and a demanding job. I won’t disagree as I feel both are important to me and to others and both are of a nurturing sort, raising and guiding my children and educating young minds while attempting to protect vulnerable wild life.

I was deep into my reverie when the phone rang and jolted me out of it. “Yes, Diane?”

“Dr Helen Maddison from Natural England is on the phone, Professor.”

“Okay, put her through.”

“Cathy?”

“Hello Helen.” What I meant was, what d’you want as she only calls when she wants something.

“Could you or one of your faculty do a dormouse survey for us as a matter of urgency?”

“Where is it?”

“Near Petersfield.”

“Developer wanting to build houses?”

“No actually, someone who wants to clear fell for a solar farm.”

“They want to clear a woodland to stick up solar panels?”

“So it would seem.”

“And dormice are the best way to stop him?”

“I couldn’t possibly comment.”

“Give me exact coordinates and I’ll try and get someone out this weekend.” I wondered what Graham was doing, though he’d been avoiding me ever since I told him the facts of life. She gave me a grid reference and GPS coordinates.

After talking to her I asked Diane to see if Graham was available to do a survey that weekend and I passed on the details. At three o’clock just as I was about to leave she informed me that Graham wasn’t answering his mobile and didn’t appear to be on campus—just what I needed. If David asks for the weekend off, I’m doing a runner myself.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
250 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Dormouses or Dormice, or Dormices

So, yesterday someone had one of those little critters on Facebook, and it was snoring like a woodsman. It was lying on its back and I wondered if placing it on one side or the other would ease the snuffling?

Let her watch the eclipse, eh ? Begins: Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 1:11 AM
Maximum: Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 3:47 AM
Ends: Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 6:22 AM

Or perhaps not.

Gwen

I wonder

littlerocksilver's picture

Would someone or a group go as far as killing off the dormice in an area to keep the area from being protected?

Portia

Advice for Cathy...

Let Trish watch the eclipse. Help her photograph it. Get her to explain what's happening to her siblings.

... and Cathy, MAKE time to see Danni's games even if you don't particularly enjoy the sport. She'll only be your teenager for a little while. Enjoy it.

I agree

I wish my parents would have tried even once to go to a game I was in, I couldn't even get them to come to any of the plays I did in Junior College until the very last one I did while I still lived at home. It hurt.

A UK solar farm?

Rhona McCloud's picture

Seemed unlikely so I checked and it is viable even in grey England. . Unfortunately even ‘green business’ is big money so there could be trouble ahead. Why don't they roof all those huge car parks with solar panels - lots of space, few dormice and they would keep the rain off our shopping.

Rhona McCloud

I am not sure exactly how to

I am not sure exactly how to word this, but somehow Cathy needs to find the time to support ALL her children in as many of their activities as she can. It may seem like a big hassle now, but later in life, the time she spent with her children, and her husband, will mean more to her than she realizes at this time. Yes, I know her committment to teaching is something she enjoys, and wants to continue, but she does need to involve herself more in the activities of the children.

I often tell young parents to take as many pictures as possible of their children, and do not delete any, either from the camera, or from the computer they are stored on. And with today's digital cameras and cell phone cameras, excellent quality pictures are easily available to all.
Someday, much sooner than they want, those children will be grown, and those pictures will be the only positive memory they have of the little ones. Only one thing will remain - They will always be her children, but they won't always be her babies.

And Ang, please do not change anything you have planned in future episodes. This short saga of the Cameron family is the work of three authors - You, Bonzi, and, dad gum it, I can't remember the name of the other cat! Please keep it that way, and don't develop future episodes based on the thoughts and wishes of others. I wish I could write as good as you, and even if I could, I am not sure I could even write fan fiction about 'Bike' and the all too real people that populate your universe.

The three of you are keeping me enthralled with this most excellent tale.

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm