Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2744

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2744
by Angharad

Copyright© 2015 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
@@@@@

When I got to the school, Trish told me the headmistress wanted to see me. Hoping I wasn’t going to be suckered into anything else, I went along feeling quite apprehensive. “Sister Maria,” I said as she opened her office door and I caught a glimpse of Danny with the others.

“Lady Catherine, perhaps we could take a little walk a moment.”

“What’s happened?”

“It’s complicated.”

“But it involves one or more of my children?”

“Yes.”

“Please don’t beat about the bush, just tell me.”

“Okay, we had the press here looking for the boy who plays for England schoolgirls.”

I felt like I’d just stepped over a hole in the ground and fallen down it. “Danni?”

“We suspect one of girl’s brothers recognised her from her previous incarnation.”

“Who was the journalist—local?”

“No, a national tabloid.”

“She’s a minor so revelation of any details would be seen as against the law, but they have other ways of allowing people to find out.”

“I’m sorry.”

“Why is it even newsworthy? The rules are that any person who has had surgery or hormones for more than a year is eligible to play their sport in their chosen gender as they’re not seen as having any physical advantage—at least that’s the gist of it. So she’s not been doing anything illegal. The club know it, the FA know it, so what’s the problem?”

“It is somewhat unusual, you have to admit that.”

“So what? The girl has a natural talent at soccer and at the next women’s world cup I want to see her help England win it.”

“That would be wonderful.”

“Unless scumbags like this tabloid sleaze bag make her life so uncomfortable that she stops playing. Remember she didn’t choose to become female it sort of got chosen for her.”

“A little like the rest of us eh, Lady Cameron?”

“Indeed,” well I didn’t choose to be female, I was born that way, it just took a little longer to make it official than most women.

“I might have to keep her home for a few days until this blows over. The school is still happy to have my children here?”

“You have to ask?”

“Yes, I don’t know how rough this is going to get.”

“I think I speak for the school when I say you have our total support. If I don’t, they’re going to need a new headmistress, plus I suspect a certain bank will find a reason to stop supporting the hardship fund.”

“Thank you, Maria, it’s much appreciated.”

“You and your family have done so much to help this school and me personally that it’s only fair we reciprocate. As for me, I like you and all your girls even if they pose different challenges, plus we have the best school soccer team in the girl’s league and that’s all due to two of your girls.”

“I might send her up to her grandparents for a few days.”

“You must do what you think is best.”

“I’ll try and speak with Henry see what he can do to squash it.”

“I’ve prepared a statement from the school saying that we are fully in support of all our students and encourage them to participate in sport and other activities at the highest level they are able.”

“Thanks, I’d best go and see the girls, especially Danielle.”

As I expected she was very upset asking why she was being treated like a criminal when she’d done nothing wrong. I knew the feeling but seemed unable to comfort her. I brought the car into the school grounds and watched while all the girls got in. As far as I could tell no one was watching.

Sister Maria apparently went round every class and spoke with the girls asking them for their support as one of their colleagues was under threat by unscrupulous journalists and she had done nothing wrong or illegal except resolve a birth defect. Every girl agreed to help by saying nothing to anyone outside the school.

Some of the girls had worked out what was going on and even guessed who it was but they all promised to keep quiet. I was most impressed by the degree of loyalty amongst the students—mind you no one had been offered money yet. Sister Maria pre-empted that as well by suggesting anyone who was found to have taken money for information given would be suspended and probably expelled for failing to meet the moral standards expected of the school. If their parents entered into any deal with the media, the children would still be asked to leave. It was heavy stuff.

We got home via a circuitous route to make sure we weren’t followed. I left a message for Jason to call me back. I did the same with Henry. I just hoped that everyone in an editorial capacity realised it wasn’t good policy to mess with the Camerons.

At the same time as all this preparation was going on, part of me felt like telling the world what they wanted to know and asking what was all the fuss about, then asking what they’d do if it was their daughter who was involved. Of course bigots and hypocrites always take the moral high ground even though their personal behaviour tends to suggest they’re not even fit to live in a cess pit. Unfortunately, we’re all capable of doing it at times but some make it a way of life.

Look at all this fuss about same sex marriage and how the religious bigots make so much fuss. What business is it of anyone else but the two people seeking to marry and their family and friends to a lesser extent. This woman in the States who’s been in prison for refusing to sign marriage licences, she’s a total humbug. She claims it offends her religious beliefs—she’s been married several times—shouldn’t that offend her religion as well, or is it only other people who require judgement. If ever she meets her god, an albeit unlikely scenario, but if it happens I suspect she might get something of a surprise and it won’t be a pleasant one. It’s absurd but she’s an elected officer of the local administration and can’t be sacked very easily. Perhaps someone needs to call for an election.

I went see Danielle who was sitting on her bed with rings of mascara round her reddened eyes where she’d been crying. I told her to go and wash.

“What for?”

“Because you look a mess.”

“I feel a mess.”

“Like it or not, you are one of my daughters and we Cameron women try to look a cut above the ordinary because we are.”

She laughed at me, “Have you heard yourself? I’m not even a fucking woman, am I?”

“You are, so you’d better shape up.”

“I didn’t ask to be one, did I unlike the rest of you?”

“Danielle, none of us asked to be female and certainly none of us asked to follow the path some of us had to. Even the NHS website suggests it’s biological probably arising in the womb or early childhood. So none of us had a choice did we?”

“Okay, I’ll wash my face.” She stood up and went to go to the bathroom where she paused, “Thanks for being there, Mummy—an’ I’m glad I’m your daughter.”

I hugged her and said quietly, “We’re going to get through this, I promise.”

“Will I have to give up my soccer?”

“Not if I can help it.”

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
267 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Too Close To Reality

littlerocksilver's picture

The media doesn't give a shit about people or their feelings. Cathy, now is the time to pour out all the love and warmth you can. Of all your children, Danni is the most vulnerable, and needs the most love and protection.

Portia

The double edge of the media

They can be a bunch of ravening wolves, after ratings, or they can be a boon to correctly spreading information and news that no single person can ever hope to get to or understand. Unfortunately TG people are still fair game.

A good day

Dahlia's picture

Any day that there is a new chapter in both Bike and Gabby series is a good day. Thanks again as always for more of my fix of the Cameron empire and family.

Dahlia

The unkindest cut

Rhona McCloud's picture

This must seem to Cathy the most challenging situation met since Stella knocked her off her bike. Has the world changed enough since Cathy transitioned that the public would refuse to countenance a tabloid exposé of a child? Will Danni take up the challenge to become a public figure demanding public acceptance as a legitimate female soccer player? You are certainly giving this reader plenty to think about. Thank you Angharad.

Rhona McCloud

The elected county clerk

The elected county clerk Cathy speaks of is in Rowan County, Kentucky. Her statement to the press regarding her 4 marriages is that she did this prior to "getting religion"; and since she has, she has "cleaned up her act" What she was claiming and is still claiming was/is that as the Elected County Clerk only she can issue "valid" marriage licenses, based on current Kentucky Law. Her attorney has stated that there is doubt that the licenses issued without her name on them are invalid. She and her attorney both approached the Commonwealth Governor, Steve Brashear and asked for an exemption from the State Law, but he decided it would be too costly to recall the legislature to deal with this one issue. So she was/is caught between State Law and Federal law. She apparently did all this PRIOR to ruling by the US Supreme Court, but the Governor's office still refused her. There are several other States and jurisdictions who this exact same law, and they too have been asking for exemptions of being required to follow the present State Law. This county is located about 90 miles from my home, so it very definitely was making lots of news around here.
I can understand the logic between both sides, so I can also see the quandry the Clerk is in, as she is in violation of TWO laws regardless of whom she displeases, all over a Federal law that did not exist when she was sworn into her office. I understand that the legislature will take up her concens and others, when they re-convene the State Legislature early next year.
One will be as to whether the now issued marriage licenses are indeed valid without her signature being on them as State law prescribed. Should be a very interesting day when elected State Officials come back from their Summer Break and vote on some new amendments or actual State Laws to fix the matter.
I also really feel bad for Danni and Cathy, as this tabloid should not even be broaching the question of speaking with OR taking photos of Danni, as she IS a minor. I would be standing with Cathy on this, and be first in line to help her file suit against them for any and all harassement, or invasion of Danni's personal space or life. Sometimes a reporter and I use that term very loosely in this aspect needs to be taken down a peg or two, just to prove to them that nothing or no-one revolves around them.
Gooooo Danni! She always just does her very best and tries to be the very best female player that she can be.

I have a feeling

that certain media types are going to find out having money is one thing to be afraid to fight, but taking on Cathy (who does have money) is a whole new game. While she normally fights "fair" this is her child, and a whole new rule book is now in force.

I have a picture

On FB, which says "I don't read the [tabloid newspaper] for the same reason I don't eat from the toilet"

Once again

the spectre of journalism that is supposedly for the benefit of every one is raising its ugly head for the Camerons , Whilst i would be the first to agree that a free press is an absolute must in any democracy , I do think that some of the more lurid newspapers need to take a long hard look at themselves, If persecuting innocent people and more pertinently young children is their aim in life then is it any wonder that politicians are looking at ways to reign them in, Ultimately they would only have themselves to blame if that does happen , But their behavior is making what would be a sad day for us all more than a possibility...

Kirri