Turning 16 chapter 7

Printer-friendly version


Turning 16

Chapter 7

Home again.


angel-anime_0.jpg

The last days past quickly. Rose and I with the kids headed to the port to catch the boat home. I was not surprised when Nancy decided to stay on the Island to pursue his love affair. I smiled as the boat pulled away from the dock. We were going home. The time on the Island had changed me to the point I was not sure I could fit in to the lovely little town we lived in. Maybe after two years I would head back to the Island for good. I would have had my surgery by then and I would know what I want out of life hopefully.

The boat ride was smooth as we headed for the mainland. I kept to myself and pondered what I was going to do with my life. Rose let me have my piece and stayed to herself. At the end of the journey I still did not have and answers.

The house was just as we left it. Well it should be it has only been a little under 3 weeks. So much as happened in that time, both good and bad. All I want to do is get settled in and find a job to take up my time.

The next day I found out the title of Ambassador was not a joke. The former Ambassador came to see me and brief me on the duties of the office. It was quite the afternoon. He had a girl with him that was from the Island and was in need of my help. She was trained as a classic maid but could not find work. I asked her a few questions then made my mind up. I hired her to be a maid in my house. Considering the salary that my job pays there would be no problem keeping her on staff.

I turned the den into a office and began to see what I could do with this job. I would reach out to the community and see where I can help out. I had a Title and a job lets see where that leads me. Now we need to find a job for Rose something she can do at home. That would set up the household real well. I was going to talk to Rose But she was busy instructing the maid in how we liked things done. So I decided to go for a drive and see some of the town. I had a drivers license and a old car that came with the house. Rose paused when she seen me so I took the chance to tell her I was going for a drive and ask her to look in on Jenny. I will be back before dinner time.

I pulled out the car and got ready for my drive. Just then a police car pulled up. The cop that got out was a fairly nice looking woman. She looked at me then at a clipboard then back at me. She was making me curious. She walked over to me "Hello You would be the Duchess would you not?" She was smiling so I took it as nothing bad.

I smiled "That would be me, what can I do for you?" I sized her up and thought she would be public relations or something like that.

"I am Officer Jill O'mally I just came out to check on the report we have a new Ambassador from the Island here. Would that be you? You seem sort of young." The cop just looked me up and down.

"That would be me, yes. I am Belle Pride, Duchess of the Island and Ambassador to the mainland. Yes I am young but I will do then Job as needed. I have been briefed by the former Ambassador as to what to expect on this job. He did not mention that the local police were involved. I am happy to work with the local authorities in any way needed.

She smiled "I am the public relations officer for this town so I am the one you will be dealing with if you need anything." She hand me a card with her name and extension on it. "I work most days so you should have no problem getting a hold of me. Well I got to get back nice to meet you Duchess." She turned and walked away.

I went back to looking over the car before my drive. The car was an old Cadillac convertible. I put the top down and cleaned the car out. I first drove down to the car wash. I put the top back up and ran it through the full cleaning. It cost a little extra but I had it hand buffed at the end. I looked it over and found it looked real nice.

I drove around with the top down checking out how the town was doing. Finally I decided to head home. I was in a good mood for a change. I drove up and there was two cars there, one was a police car. I got out and looked at the cop leaning on his car. Two men heading for the door stopped when I pulled up. This was going to be fun, Not. I got out and put up the top taking my time. I turned as one of the men came my way. I noticed that there was a flag near the door like the flag that the Queen used.

The man was angry "I demand you turn over that girl right now! I will not have that Person go unpunished!"

I sized up the man and decided to play it hard. "You are on Island territory now I suggest You calm yourself! First, who are you? Second, what are you talking about? Third, you will conduct yourself as is proper for a man of your years or I will have you thrown off my property." He was taken aback by this. I stared him down.

I smiled "Now shall we start again. I am the Duchess Belle Pride and you are?"

The other man walked up "I will answer while he gets his foot out of his mouth. My name is Joe Brown this is my brother Sam. We are here to have the maid arrested for theft. She stole a very important ring from Sam's house. If she returns the ring and leaves the area we will forgo the arrest." This guy is slick.

"I will investigate this matter and if it is true I will take action." I stated my position well I thought. I turned to go in the house.

Sam grabbed my arm. "We are not done yet!" I looked at his hand.

"You sir are creating an international incident if you do not remove your hand in 3 seconds you will be declaring war." 20 knights trooped from the side of the house to line up ready for orders. I was still looking at his hand. He removed it. I turned to the two of them "Let me make myself clear. I will look into this matter and will get back to you! You will leave your contact information and I will see that you are informed of my findings. You will leave now and I will not charge you with crimes. This is not a bluff." I turned to the head knight "Captain if they are not off the property in the count of 25 take them into custody."

The Captain said "Yes your Grace" Then started to count slowly. The brown brothers left as did the cop. The whole thing soured my good mood.

"Return to your normal duties captain." He nodded and the knights trooped off. I headed into the house. A maid I had never seen before took my coat.

Rose came out smiling. "That was quite the show out there. Do you think it will be trouble?" I nodded and was looking at the new maid. "That is Joan she and her sister Joanna are a gift from the Queen. The knights and flags are also from the Queen. It seem our house is an Embassy for the Island. I will be taking the post of chief of staff for this house. It should be an intriguing job at least."

I smiled "We keep getting to it don't we? Well at least we both have jobs. I need to talk to Wilma about a ring."

Wilma stepped out holding out a ring. "I did not steal it he gave it to me but when he found out I would not let him in my pants He demanded everything he gave me back and fired me. He would not pay me for the work I done and spread rumors around so I could not get work. I will gladly give him back the ring when he pays me what he owes me.

"I will call him and talk this over. I don't think he will be nice about it. I will try to resolve it as best I can. You just give me the ring and I will see what I can do. I looked at the ring and thought 'that is one big diamond'. "Go back to work now Wilma." This is going to take some tact to get through this one. I went into the nursery to look in on Jenny. I picked her up and played with her for a while to calm myself. Jenny always calms me down and makes me happy.

Rose stepped in "What you going to do about the Brown Brothers?"

I frowned "I am going to see if they own up to the problem. Then I will go from there. If they do we will meet and exchange the items and it will be all over. If not things get sticky. I am not sure what I will do then. What are we doing with the knights?"

"They are converting the old barn into a bunk house. It should hold them all. They will protect the land and house."

Joan the maid stepped in "Miss there is a rather official looking man from the state government to see you."

"Put him in the parlor I will be there in a moment Joan." I turned to Rose "Seem duty calls. Till later my friend." I put Jenny down and headed for the parlor.

To be continued

As always all Life Giving Comments are Welcome and Loved!

up
149 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Nothing like a few hours on

Nothing like a few hours on the job to have the world dropped down on your head. With the previous action of the Brown brothers, I would tend to believe Wilma's account of what took place.

Nice.

I do hope they have enough finance to run the show there. and also enough support to overcome any trouble. Thanks for this post.