Lights, Camera, Action! Chapter 3

Printer-friendly version

Lights, Camera, Action!
A Magic of the Kingdom Tale
©2015 Dark Kitten & Zoe Taylor

12 year old Mark O’Malley had been practically typecast as the dopey sidekick because of his role in the runaway hit Disney production, “My Brother Mark”. But while on the set of his older sister Krissy’s much darker sci-fi movie production, a misheard comment leads to a whole new branch in his career, and in his life.

“So how long have you been into Megan?” Amber asked Juliette when Megan was off to the bathroom with Carolyn.

“It kind of happened really slowly,” Juliette giggled, blushing. “One day we were doing a scene, and as I watched the character Mark trying to put the moves on the babysitter played by his real life sister, I was like ‘Oh my God, I think I’m jealous.’. I never told him... Her.”

“I think it’s sweet,” Amber giggled. “My parents would freak out if I even looked at a boy. They think I shouldn’t date until I’m older, which I guess I’m okay with for now.”

Juliette giggled quietly, “I came out to my parents about liking girls last month because of Megan, but don’t tell her that yet.”

“My lips are sealed,” Amber giggled. “I like boys, but once in awhile I meet a girl who can make my knees weak too. Carolyn says it’s okay to be confused, normal even.”

Juliette nodded, “I thought I liked boys too, but then Megan came along and changed my whole way of thinking of things, including defined gender roles.” she really sounded mature just then.

“Oi, yeah, I know what you mean. Carolyn’s taught me so much in the short time she’s been out. One minute she’s the biggest geek on the planet, the next she’s fielding goals better than half the boys in school on the girls’ football team.”

Megan and Carolyn both returned after a short while, “Well that was interesting.” Megan giggled. “That was the first time I’ve ever used a public restroom, ever, and on top of it, the girls’.”

Carolyn laughed. “The nice thing about the girls’ room is there’s no piss stains all over one wall.”

“And it smells nice in there.” Megan giggled. “I almost walked into the boys bathroom, but some little boy was like, you're a girl, girls go over there.”

Juliette giggled, “It’ll take time to get used to, and public restrooms aren’t half bad, I try to avoid them if I can though.”

“Here it comes,” Carolyn giggled as Amber opened her purse and pulled out a pocket sized travel can of Lysol spray.

“I keep it next to my can of pepper spray though,” Amber laughed. “I’m afraid someday I might have a lemon fresh mugger.”

“Or a red hot ass,” Carolyn laughed.

They all giggled at that, “So where to next?” Megan asked. “We have our formal dresses and shoes, which was all we needed.”

“I still can’t believe we got those things so cheap,” Juliette added. “Plus now we have something to wear to the TCA.”

“I still can’t believe we’re hanging out with the stars of ‘My Brother Mark’,” Carolyn chimed in and giggled again.

“I really hope that show isn’t the highlight of my career.” Megan said, and laughed a little, “I mean I will always cherish my time on set, but it just wasn't me.”

“Well, you already have two movie roles - one starring,” Juliette giggled. “That’s a good start.”

“Well you're billed as a Co-star, a main one at that, in one.” Megan protested.

“Yeah, that’s true. Emily’s role in Samantha’s life as her support is just so important. I’m honored to be playing her.”

“I wonder if the two sisters are still so close today.” Megan said thoughtfully. “I guess I’ll find out when I go to meet Samantha.”

“I honestly couldn’t do it,” Carolyn said, shaking her head. “Acting I mean, especially now. But I’m really glad there are people like you who can and will show everyone that we’re real people too.”

“Doesn’t hurt though, you and Megan both pass so well.” Juliette added.

“Megan, maybe,” Carolyn giggled. “I’m so bloody tall and athletic though.”

“No way. I had a hard time believing Amber that you were really like me.” Megan said, shaking her head.

“See?” Amber giggled. “A lot of fashion models are tall, and nobody’s going to confuse them either!”

Carolyn blushed deeply as she put an arm around Amber’s shoulders. “Thanks guys. That means a lot to me. Okay, so, I haven’t eaten since brekkie so lunch is on me.”

“Late Lunch huh?” Megan giggled, “Sometimes on set we don’t get lunch till four or five and dinner till 10.”

“See, I couldn’t do that,” Carolyn laughed. “Sometimes my Mom will come dragging in around 11 and just grab a bowl of cereal on the way to the sofa to catch a late movie, pass out for a few hours, and then be up and cheerful as the bloody morning sun the next day.”

“Coffee.” Both Megan and Juliette spoke in unison.

“That’d do it alright,” Carolyn said, laughing as they entered the food court. “Amber’s not allowed coffee anymore,” she teased. Amber giggled.

“You go off on a crazy band nerd rant one bloody time after drinking two large cappuccinos to stay awake on the bus...”

Megan giggled, “Coffee helped me through takes.”

“Me too!” Juliette added.

No matter where you were in the world, it seemed, a food court was still a food court, the watering hole for social teen interactions especially during school holidays. Megan and Juliette didn’t have to worry about that. Since their schedules were always so busy, they were homeschooled on set, but it was still odd being in a crowded area with no one hounding them for autographs.

The only attention they did receive, ironically enough, was one young teenage girl who recognized Amber from her blog, and came over to say hi, and a girl who looked like she could pass for an extra in a vampire movie.

She had on a flowing black dress with a bright red bodice that came just to her bra-line, and then continued into sheer material a little further below that, and long bell sleeves, with her thick black hair hanging in tight curls. She crept up behind Carolyn and pounced, hugging her.

“Jesus balls!” Carolyn squealed. “God damit Rebecca, don’t sneak up on me like that,” she sighed, catching her breath.

Rebecca giggled and kissed Carolyn squarely on the cheek, and then hugged Amber. “I’m sorry,” she said, still giggling at the big, black lip marks left on Carolyn’s cheek. “It’s just so much fun. Oh, shit, sorry, I didn’t see your new friends,” she said, clearing her throat as she stood again.

Megan shook her head, “It’s ok, I’m Megan and this is Juliette.”

“Nice to meet you both,” she said in a surprisingly friendly tone for someone who looked like she could suck their blood dry in three seconds flat, as she shook each of their hands, showing off celtic knotwork rings on her right hand, and her left-hand thumb. “I’m Rebecca O’Hara.”

“Pull up a chair Scarlet,” Amber teased, shooting Rebecca a grin. She groaned.

“Fuck you too,” she shot back playfully, sitting down at the table with them. “Really though I hope I didn’t interrupt anything. It’s rare to observe the Carolynus Sexyus Bitchus in her natural environment at the watering hole,” she said in her best bad Australian Who Sticks His Hand In Snake Holes accent.

“By crikey.” Megan said in a horrible Steve Erwin accent. “We got ourselves a rare one here.”

“Oi, ya met any dingos yet? They’re tricky blighters they are, they’ll nick yer knobs if ya ain’t kehful,” Rebecca giggled.

“No but there were some kangaroos at the Sydney airport.” Megan laughed.

“Oi,” Carolyn groaned, laughing. “Rebecca loves messing with tourists.”

“Yeh, these two talk like Americans, but they’re alright by me,” Rebecca giggled again.

“I’m actually Australian born, lived in the states most of my life.” Megan admitted.

“So,” Rebecca said, grinning at Amber. “What’s this big news about? You know the post on your blog that everyone else has to wait two weeks for, but that you’ll totally tell me now because you love me that much?” she teased.

Amber gave Megan a kind of hesitant glance. Megan shook her head and giggled. “It’s a surprise Rebecca. You know I can’t tell you.” Amber stated with a giggle.

“Awww shucks. Fine, I’ll just tickle it out of Carolyn later...” she said, shooting a glance Carolyn’s way. Carolyn sat up slightly, shaking her head.

“Nope. Trust me, it’s worth waiting for though.”

“Fiiiine, but if I find out you’re dating this hottie over here,” she said, nodding toward Megan, “and you made me wait to find out, there will be blood.” She grinned, adding, “No offense,” as she glanced back at Megan.

Juliette giggled, “She shouldn’t take offense, but the hottie as you say is taken by me.” she teased.

~oOo~

The Disney interview had been moved back to Friday, giving Megan a few days’ reprieve, and in that time she and Juliette had gotten to know Amber, Carolyn, and Rebecca a lot better. Rebecca was full of energy for a goth girl, always cheerful, and as Megan learned, loved drama and wardrobe. If she had figured the pair out though, she never once let on even for a second. Megan figured she enjoyed the theater of playing along too much to spoil her friends’ joke.

The trip to the opera went so well that Megan made Krissy and Tina promise that they could go back again soon. Juliette enjoyed it as well, but that may in part have been getting to see Megan in a formal gown. It was all a subtle, yet stark contrast to today, as Megan had spent the whole morning as Mark just as Doctor Miller asked.

They did some sightseeing together with Brianna, had an early lunch, and then met Krissy for the appointment. There wasn’t much else to tell. Mark seemed to have sunk back into his shell just a little, only being ‘on’ when more than just Juliette and Brianna were around.

It was Megan’s third trip to see Doctor Miller - fourth if you include the first interview like visit. She was dressed as Mark, waiting in the lobby with Juliette and Krissy. Even despite going out as Mark though, she hadn’t encountered near the crazed fan nightmare she was expecting. A token double-take here or there was about it. She’d have to leave straight to the studio afterwards.

“You doing okay?” Juliette asked. Megan nodded.

“Yeah. It’s just for the first time this week, I really do feel like I’m acting,” she sighed quietly. “It’s not like I just flipped a switch and suddenly I’m horribly depressed or anything, if that’s what you mean,” she added, giving her a wry smile. She giggled.

“Tell her that too,” Juliette said as she squeezed her hand.

“Mark O’Malley?” the same woman from before said as she poked her head around the door. Thankfully it was just the three of them in the waiting room.

Where before Megan had always been so cheerful and animated about getting up, receiving the same ‘Go get em, Tiger’ from Juliette each time, today she simply stood, and walked to the door.

“Theresa’s waiting for you. Sorry it took so long,” she said as they walked down the short hall together, and Megan gave her a smile.

“No, it’s fine,” she said, shaking his head. Megan’s normally nice, tamed mane was back to its original scruffy fluff today, bouncing a little as she moved.

“Hi Mark,” Theresa said in her usual cheerful tone as she stepped through the door. She stood to shake her hand, which he did, tentatively, and then sat down in the chair across from her.

“I want you to know up front, that I’m video taping this session for my own reference. This won’t be shown to anyone, publicly or privately, save for a single other person working here in the office, should I want to get her second opinion at a later date.”

“That’s fine,” Megan said, chuckling a little. “I’m used to cameras.”

“First I want to ask you a quick question. Does that make you feel fake?” Doctor Miller had noticed a massive difference already.

“Being used to cameras?” she asked, confused.

“No, being Mark.” Doctor Miller laughed.

“Oh,” Megan laughed a little. “Honestly? It kind of does. I mean... I was just telling Juliette in the waiting room. She asked me if I was okay, and I told her I was. And I am, in the sense that I’m not all raging super depressed or anything. But...” She sighed. “God this sounded so much less corny when I was saying it to her. Today is the first time this week that I’ve felt like I was acting.”

Doctor Miller nodded and changed the subject, “Interview today, that’s why our meeting was postponed right?”

“Yes ma’am,” Megan answered. “It was supposed to be Wednesday, but the guy who’s supposed to do the interview came down with something, so they had to scramble to get a replacement.”

“Who do you think will be interviewing you? Aren’t they all Disney stars?” she asked, really forcing Megan to think.

“It’d be great if it was someone I knew,” Megan answered, shaking hier head, “But I’m not really familiar with anyone from Disney AU.”

“Ah. Well you know your show is very popular here.” Doctor Miller said. “I had a talk with Doctor Collins about it.”

Megan brightened a little at that. “I met one of her patients. I can’t remember if I mentioned that before. It’s honestly amazing having real, non-famous friends who just like you for you. I mean I know Juliette does, but with Carolyn and Amber it’s different. They’re... I’unno. Real too. Not just crazed fans.” She laughed a little. “Rebecca’s awesome too. She’s quirky, weird, funny. I love it.”

“Ah, so that was my other question, has Megan made any friends.. but you just answered it.” Doctor Miller laughed, “Did you bring your diary you’ve been keeping as Megan?”

“Yes ma’am,” he said, and then looked around briefly. “Oh... I must’ve left it in the lobby. I’ll go grab it if you want?”

“No, I’ll go grab it really fast. I have some reading I want you to do.” Doctor Miller smiled professionally and set down a couple small booklets.

“Sure thing,” Megan answered. It was the same thing Megan said quite a lot, but with Mark it almost sounded forced. She picked up the first of the booklets as she turned to step out, and started to glance through it. They were different from the pamphlets she had sent with him the first day. Everything was much more clinical, like Sex Ed without the section on intercourse.

Theresa stepped out of the room, walking down the short hall to the waiting area. Krissy stood, holding the brightly colored - mostly purples and pinks - flower print diary that Megan had forgotten to grab. She and Juliette had worked hard to make the fabric book cover look as professional as possible. “I thought Mark might come back for this,” she said with a chuckle. It was odd to her, because when she carried it before, the thing had never left Megan’s sight.

“I’ve got Mark - or rather Megan, reading about SRS and all the options that are available to her. It’s just so she knows what is in store if she chooses to continue this path.”

“I feel like the path chose him,” Krissy sighed. “How did the mental health evaluations go? Anything unusual besides chronic depression?”

“Not even that, actually,” Theresa said with a quiet laugh. “I bet it would show up today though. Especially if I made her take that first test over again.”

Krissy gave her a wry smile. “The difference is pretty jarring. I would’ve called it subtle a week ago. But just now, it was like watching a condemned man walk to the gallows, like... like he had lost his spark. But I’m no doctor, so...”

Theresa shook her head. “No, you’re exactly right. That’s what I saw as well. I have Doctor Collins going in there to talk to her in a short moment. She watched the tape of her during that episode you sent me. I have to warn you, Doctor Collins is going to be harsh to her, and she may end up walking out of the room..”

“Uh oh,” Juliette mumbled.

“She just wants to know how committed she is.” Theresa answered reassuringly.

Juliette nodded. “No, I understand. It’s just I’ve read about this sort of thing. She might just clam up and stonewall her.”

“That’s the other reaction we look for. The passive aggressive. The ones who walk out on us tend to be not that great of a candidate for SRS, and regret having it. If she passes, there’s just one last step - a simple CAT scan. After that we’ll start her proper transition.”

“This is because of Samantha isn’t it?” Krissy asked thoughtfully. “I’ve been doing some research myself when I can. Sam was the reason the medical handling of transgender people is so drastically different here than back in the States?”

“Exactly. We have to take things seriously. Not that there aren’t good doctors in the US mind you, but it’s national law because of Samantha and Emily’s lobbying efforts, to treat each patient, screen out the possibility of a mental illness, and then work with them to help them transition.”

“In other words, no conversion therapy allowed,” Juliette said, and then shivered a little.

“Exactly,” Doctor Miller replied. “You can go to jail for forcing someone to endure that rubbish.”

An older woman stepped into the conference room that Megan was in, “Hello young man.”

Megan jumped slightly, looking up from the booklet. “Oh, sorry, I didn’t hear you come in,” Mark said sheepishly.

The woman sat down. “So what if I told you, that from what I’ve seen you don’t qualify for anything in those books?” she just bluntly told him.

Megan shrugged as he set the booklets aside. “Then I’d say I’ll wait and get a second opinion when I’m a little older because I’m still trying to figure all this out myself, but with all due respect ma’am, I won’t go back to living as Mark all the time, even if those books aren’t right for me either.”

The woman blinked twice, stood up and walked out of the room.

Megan sighed. “Guess that was the wrong answer,” she said to herself, having forgotten completely that this was still being video taped, as she went back to reading.

Doctor Collins walked into the lobby. She looked, for lack of a better description, at a loss for words. “That was definitely not what I expected.”

“Oh?” Theresa asked as she looked up from reading over Megan’s last journal entry.

“I went in there, asked him what he would do if I told him he didn’t qualify for any of those in that book, and he just said.. She said.. excuse me,” she corrected herself, and sounded rather apologetic for making the mistake in the first place, “That she would wait till she was older and get a second opinion, because she was still figuring it all out herself, but she wouldn’t go back to living as Mark full-time.”

“Is... that bad?” Juliette spoke up.

“In my professional opinion, Megan is acting as a boy not the other way around.” Doctor Collins stated, “Always has been, whether she knew it or not.”

Theresa nodded. “She said as much, and even wrote it here in her diary.” She turned the book around to show Beth the relevant entry. Beth adjusted her glasses, and read it quietly.

‘Feels like I’m preparing for a role tomorrow. I have to psych myself up the night before, just like doing My Brother Mark. Just one day, then back to being myself.’

“I don’t think she needs to figure anything out. She’s already got it, In my professional experience” Beth laughed, “My recommendations are anything that Theresa suggests I will support short of insisting she stop her real life test.”

Theresa smiled. “Can you get Megan in to get a Cat scan later today? Oh, and we’ll tell her she can go back to being Megan whenever she’s ready. No need to make her go the whole day.”

“Sure, that’s no problem,” Krissy answered. “I have the afternoon off while they work on some set redesigns anyway. I don’t know how I’m going to tell Mom though.”

“Tell Mom what?” Janet asked as she stepped through the door with a grin. She wasn’t wearing her usual business suit - skirt or slacks - today, either. For all intents, she looked like just another tourist in gladiator sandals, jeans, and a t-shirt.

“Oh... Mom, you’re um... a month early...” Krissy said hesitantly.

“Funny thing,” Janet answered as she approached. “I received a call on Wednesday from Theresa that my daughter would be coming in for her fourth visit as Mark, and that if possible, she would really appreciate it if I could be here to support her because the final test can be a little nerve wracking.” She grinned. “Busted.”

Krissy blushed and shook her head. “I wasn’t trying to keep anything from you. It all just kind of happened so fast. I wasn’t expecting Theresa to diagnose her as GID so quickly.”

Janet laughed softly as she pulled her eldest daughter into a hug. “It’s okay. I’m not upset. Theresa’s filled me in on everything from the getgo. I just decided that, since things are progressing so quickly, I should come down and give you a breather as Megan’s guardian, and break some news to you and Megan.” Janet grinned.

“Speaking of,” Theresa chuckled. “I’d better go let her know this was all a test.”

“She’s still reading the booklets..” Beth laughed, “Those things are good information.”

“Well,” Janet said, “Her father has already given his blessing, and I agree with him. If this is what she needs and wants, then she has our full support.”

“Wait,” Krissy spoke up, ”Even Daddy is completely behind this? I thought he... you know, because of aunt Rhonda?”

Janet laughed again. “Oh good lord no. They’re not on speaking terms because her wife’s brother borrowed a bunch of money and never paid it back, and Rhonda blamed your father. It had nothing to do with her being lesbian, dear.”

“Right. I’m going to just go find a quiet place to faint now,” Krissy answered wearily as she sat down next to Juliette, who leaned over, fanning her face dramatically.

Theresa smiled, turning to Janet. “I’ll let Beth take care of the preliminary filing, but if you want to speak to Megan in private before we finish our session, I can wait outside.”

“Oh Megan’s been doing fine without me since she got here. I know shes only 12, but she’s 12 going on 21.. like Juliette here.”

Juliette giggled. “At least we’re not breaking into Jack Nichols’ trailer to ebay his underwear.”

Janet laughed, “It’s a good thing he’s retired then isn't it?”

“Serious question though,” Juliette said, looking at Krissy. “Boxers or briefs?”

Krissy groaned, covering Juliette’s mouth with her hand as Theresa stood up and walked into the backroom to talk with Megan.

“I have something to talk to you about young lady.”

Megan glanced up, apparently having just finished the last of the booklets. “I think I made an impression on that other doctor - not sure if it was good or bad, but...” she trailed off and shrugged.

Theresa laughed, “Well, lets just say, after your interview, there’s no need to be Mark again unless you want to be.”

Megan stared blankly for a moment back at Theresa. “... You mean after the 365 thing I can go back to being My-egan?” she barely caught herself.

“Yup, Megan isn’t going anywhere, and earlier today I was on the phone with your mother, who is here to sign some papers she requested. She’ll tell you about them in a few moments.”

“... Aw crap. On a scale of 1 to grounded for life?” she asked, without finishing that thought, but she was already looking more cheerful and naturally energetic.

Doctor Miller laughed and changed the subject, “So after reading those booklets and seeing the images as well, are you still interested in moving forward?”

“I think so,” Megan sighed. “I mean... I’ve never had a surgery in my life. Never had my tonsils out or anything, so it’s kind of scary to even think about. I don’t know that it’s something I’m ready for yet, but the ones about HRT... That I could grow into puberty like a real girl? That’s really exciting, being honest.”

“Surgery is a big step, and you wont have to worry about it for awhile Your sister and mother will be taking you to get a CAT scan after your 365 interview, then we’ll wait for some blood tests to come back and start you on your personalized HRT. Have you taken any anti-depressants?”

Megan shook her head. “No ma’am. But...” she sighed. “I brought one with me, just in case I needed it. But I didn’t take it.”

“Good. My records indicate that it was a low dose anyway so there should be no harm in dropping them entirely. In fact, if you want to bring me the bottle, I can have them disposed of properly for you. I do want to start you on an antiandrogen agent as soon as possible, but that can wait until your HRT, which unlike surgery, will only take a couple of days at most to get you started.”

“How is that going to work anyway?” Megan asked. “I can only think of a couple of ways to get hormones into my body, none of them really fun.”

Doctor Miller laughed, “In Australia we use an Implant, like they do for birth control. It’s a simple estrogenic crystal no bigger than a popcorn hull, implanted under the skin.”

“Does it hurt?” Megan asked. “I mean, will I know it’s there?”

“With a local anaesthetic you won’t even know it went in. After that you won’t know it’s even there.”

“Sounds great,” Megan answered as she began to press down her hair a little bit, almost on a subconscious level.

“So if you think you are moving too fast just say something, and we’ll slow down, but we really think you should have been on this path years ago.”

Megan stood up at that, walked right up to Theresa, and hugged her tightly. “Thank you so much. I don’t really care anymore who knows if I’m trans, or what kind of backlash I’m going to get in a couple of weeks. I finally understand what’s been missing in my life.”

Theresa smiled at Megan, hugging her back. “Your mother wants a word with you about some things.” she said, and walked out to call Janet into the room.

Megan gulped a little as she sat back down and picked up the diary that Theresa had left. It was very little shield against whatever wrath awaited her for having done all this behind her back under the guise of preparing for a role and going incognito, but by the time she realized she didn’t want to go back to being Mark again, she was already in too deep, in her own mind anyway.

The few seconds it took for Janet to enter felt like agonizing hours, but she did step through the door, after a fashion and stepped inside.. “Hi Princess,” she said with a grin.

“Hi Mum,” Megan slipped, as she stood to hug Janet tightly. She had been hanging around Aussie girls all week, and their accent was beginning to wear off on her already. It was funny though. For weeks all she could think about was getting away from her parents, and now, she was really excited to see her mom again.

“Have a seat Princess.” Janet said as she set down, herself.

“... Sorry for not saying something sooner,” Megan sighed as she sat down again.

“Not mad at you sweetie.” Janet said, shaking her head, and set a bunch of papers down in front of Megan. She knew her daughter did her best thinking when reading, not being told. “Go ahead and read those sweetie.”

Megan picked up the stack of papers and started to read. In the stack of papers, it stated that Janet and Rob O’Malley give Megan Stuart limited guardianship over herself with the supervision of Brianna Kent, and full control over her own medical situation. It also basically stated that Janet O’Malley would be handing Manager role of Megan Stuart over to Brianna Kent as well.

“I don’t... understand. You’re letting me go as my manager and my mother?” Megan asked, confused.

Janet laughed, “Your dad thinks I'm smothering you, and from the reports that Tina have been giving me behind Krissy’s back, I’ve got to agree with him.”

“But you’re my Mom. That’s kind of your job,” Megan laughed.

“It is. That’s why I haven't granted you full guardianship over yourself. I’m still your mother and can veto any decision you make.”

“So, no head to toe aboriginal tattoos?” Megan teased.

“Nope.” Janet laughed, “Besides, you wouldn’t be able to land a movie job with those.”

“Well, maybe as captured indian white woman number four,” Megan laughed outright now. “I just don’t want you and Dad to think I want to shut you out or anything. Like Krissy I’m only using the name Stuart to throw people off. Everyone knows the name Mark O’Malley, but Megan Stuart is ... Well, like Hannah Montana and Miley Stuart,” she giggled out.

Janet laughed, “Won't be for long. You’re going to be Megan O’Malley after tomorrow, with the DBA alias Megan Stuart.”

“Sweet! Really? I can finally use my debit cards again,” she giggled. “Oh speaking of which I owe Krissy like $150.”

Janet laughed, “For what?”

“Well, food, that really cute pair of shoes, and the evening gown I wore to the opera the other night. She insisted I shouldn’t worry about it, but I promised I’d pay her back since I spent most of the $500 on a new wardrobe,” she added sheepishly.

“Just so long as she remembered to take pictures of you in said evening gown. I am going to be very disappointed if I missed out on my little girl’s first time in formalwear,” she teased.

“She even got me to wear heels,” Megan laughed. “I felt really mature. I mean more than usual.”

“That’s one of the biggest reasons we are doing this. Your dad and I both feel that you are mature enough to do things semi on your own. You are way more mature than anyone at your age should be, but then I think that’s my fault.” Janet sighed.

“I think that just comes with the territory,” Megan said as she shook her head. “You raised me not to be an entitled brat. That’s what’s important.”

Janet leaned in and hugged Megan tight, “I think we’re making the right choice. Make me proud Princess, and I’ll see you at the doctors office later.”

“You’re going sightseeing aren’t you?” Megan teased her, grinning.

“Yes Yes I am.” Janet laughed. “I haven’t been back here in years. But I promise I’ll be there for your second appointment. Good luck with the interview, if you still plan on doing it.”

“I’m obligated. They went to all the trouble of moving schedules around to accommodate me, so I don’t want to disappoint them,” Megan grinned. “But even if I am going as ‘Mark’, it’s still going to be Megan they get. I am more than the sum of my parts, and a training bra doesn’t make me Megan,” she giggled softly.

Janet laughed, “I saw you smuggled one. You plan on wearing that under Mark’s clothes for the interview?”

“I thought about it. I’m not sure if someone would notice.”

“Who cares if they do sweetie, you said so yourself.” Janet laughed, “Anyway if you feel comfortable with a piece of Megan then you should do what you want.”

~oOo~

“On three!” the camera man called out as Mark sat next to a cute slightly older, very pale girl with long reddish brown hair “One.. two.. “ and he held up 3 fingers.

“Hey all you lovely people, this is Jessica McGuinness with Disney AU, and I’m here with the one and only Mark O’Malley!” She turned and grinned at Megan. “So how are you liking Sydney so far?”

Mark smiled at Jessica. “I was actually born here and raised till I was 5, when my parents moved to California. Everything still looks huge though,” he laughed, causing Jessica to giggle too. “Sydney Harbor is as gorgeous as i remember, and Westfield was a parking nightmare, but we’ve had a blast sightseeing.”

“Someday I want to visit California, especially San Francisco. Have you been approached about any new projects now that ‘My Brother Mark’ has finished filming for the final season?” she asked, as Juliette stepped around waiting for her cue. It was a last minute change, once word got out that she was in Sydney as well, but Megan was thrilled that they wanted her on too.

“Actually I’ve got a role on the sci fi movie “Dark Days”. I can’t really discuss it much but I will be playing in flashback scenes. And there’s another project in the works with my co-star from My Brother Mark, Juliette Small.”

“Speaking of Juliette, a little birdie told me she might be hanging around...” she trailed off, and Mark grinned.

“You might be right. Let’s see if we can get her out here too,” he said, and then stood. “Juliette, Juliette, O where for art thou, Juliette?” he called, and Jessica nearly lost it right there, trying as hard as she could not to start laughing as Juliette appeared on set.

“O, Markeo,” she giggled and hugged him before joining him on the fake living room set.

“I swear, you guys crack me up on and off set,” Jessica said, letting herself giggle a little.

Mark grinned. “Sorry, but none of this was scripted. It kind of felt just like being back on the set of My Brother Mark.” He laughed. Or rather, Megan giggled.

“Exactly,” Juliette giggled. “We’re always goofing on each other. We’ve been approached about a serious drama - which by the way is all either of us can say right now - but I can tell you between takes all bets are going to be off.”

“Well I’m really excited to see what you two have cooked up for us fans, and I know I speak for everyone when I say we wish you both well. That’s it for now from Disney 365. I’m Jessica,” she said.

“I’m Mark,” Megan chimed in.

“And I’m Juliette,” Juliette giggled, as they all three waved at the camera.

“And cut.” The director called.

“Oh my God,” Jessica practically doubled over laughing. “That was better than perfect,” she said as she handed off the microphone to a technician. “You’re really in Dark Days though? That’s like the biggest anticipated movie this year around here” she bubbled excitedly.

“Yeah, it’s just a couple of small parts. Like I said, I can’t really talk about it due to contract obligations. They want to keep it a surprise for now, but I can definitely say more next interview. Ive got a lot of surprises for everyone next interview.” Megan grinned innocently..

“I bet,” Jessica giggled as the three of them stood. “I hope I’m asked to do that one too. You and Juliette are both just so full of energy. Normally these 365 things are - no offense - kind of dull. Big name actor shows up, some back and forth questions, and they leave the second the director yells cut like we’re all nobodies because we’re not America. Josh really missed out.”

“To use one of my new local friend Rebecca’s phrases, they’re tosspots,” Megan giggled.

“Sounds like Rebecca O’Hara,” Jessica laughed.

“That’s her.” Megan giggled again. “You know her?”

“We’ve been trying to convince her to audition here for months, but honestly I can’t blame her for not wanting to do it. She has so much else going on that a Disney contract would put a halt on. I’m just a no-name actress. I’ve nothing to lose,” she shrugged, but smiled.

“Oh I don't know about that.” Juliette laughed, shaking her head. “Disney stars tend to go on to become like us I guess.”

“Well I have been working on a song for Disney Radio,” she admitted sheepishly. “But it’s not very good. Nothing like what Rebecca writes. Anyway, I should get back to filming, but if you guys ever want to just, you know, hang out or anything just say the word.” She smiled brightly, giggling as she turned to leave. “Markio,” she said, and started laughing again.

Megan turned to the producer, “I want her for my next interview.” It was something Mark had never done before - demanded anything, but Megan wasn’t about to let such a fun interviewer get away.

The producer nodded. “I think that can be arranged. I really like the chemistry between you three, for what it’s worth.”

Megan grinned and nodded. “She was better at it than the last one. I like Alyssa, but it seems Jessica has more experience.”

“I won’t tell her you said that,” Juliette teased. “I agree. I mean the fact she was able to not just burst out laughing at us being total goofballs.” Megan laughed as she entered her dressing room, Juliette followed. “You have to get used to changing around girls.” Juliette said, before Megan could protest.

“Nah, I plan on having my own trailer,” Megan shot back playfully as she dropped her jeans, revealing a black pleated skirt underneath.

“Hey, you cheated!” Juliette giggled. Megan shook her head.

“Doctor’s orders were to dress like Mark for the day. She didn’t say I couldn’t dress like Megan underneath,” she said as she took off her flannel shirt, tying it around her waist to show she was wearing one of the white tops she had picked up the other day at Westfield.

Juliette laughed, “I’ll just have them weld my trailer onto yours.” she teased. “I didn’t even notice you wearing the falsies under all that.” she poked Megan in her tiny boob.

“It’s a training bra,” Megan laughed. “I had to put something in there to train. But it looks like I won’t be much longer until I start HRT,” she said as she sat down in the chair in front of the makeup counter and mirror.

“Want me to be with you when you you go into the CAT machine?” Juliette asked as she began to fix her makeup.

“If they’ll let you, yeah. I mean I know those things don’t hurt, but still the idea of being shoved into a big metal tube is ... kinda creepy,” Megan sighed, as she began to apply a very light dab of medium hued eye shadow to her eyes - enough to make her eyes pop without distracting or looking dramatic, like Juliette had taught her.

“You’ve gotten really good at that.” Juliette said as she watched..

“I had a good teacher,” Megan winked, making kissy faces at Juliette’s reflection in the mirror. “I’ve got to start keeping a street makeup bag though. Or at least a travel bottle of mousse.” She sighed, pushing her hair back to reveal the two real emerald stud earrings in her lower lobes that were hidden by Mark’s messy, shaggy mop before.

As if on cue, Brianna knocked lightly on the door and then called, “It’s me. Can I open the door?”

Juliette opened the door for her, and she stepped inside, holding a can of mousse. “Sorry I’m late. I believe you needed some of this?” she said with a grin. Megan looked at the purple bottle and laughed. The bottle read ‘Aussie’ and had a white kangaroo set against a bright pink circle for a logo.

“Aussie? Really?” she said jokingly. “Oh man, this stuff smells amazing. I take that back.”

“Krissy swears by it,” Brianna said, nodding. “The interview looked great by the way. I caught a glimpse of your cleavage when you stood up, but that’s probably because I knew it was there,” she winked.

“What little I have.” Megan giggled.

Juliette grinned, “I like it little.” she teased Megan. “I just can’t wait until the real things start growing, so you can share in the joy of wasting an entire bottle of cortisone cream in a week,” she added.

“Oh, God, and ice cubes when you run out at three in the morning,” Brianna chimed in. “It sounds perverted, but it’s really not. When you’re that desperate for relief you’ll try anything. Even toothpaste.”

“It’s not really that bad is it?” Megan asked, glancing between the two. “Besides at 3 am, I’ll just call you Brianna to get me some.” she teased.

Brianna laughed. “I might have to hire my own personal assistant now that I’m managing you two.”

“An Assistant would work for you, since you’re my manager as well.” Megan giggled and unzipped her small purple duffel bag, tossing her jeans inside. “All set. My hair’s the best it’s going to get until I can get it professionally... done... something... with. You know what I mean,” she said, as Brianna and Juliette both giggled.

“She needs some hairapy, stat,” Juliette nodded.

“Ok I’ll call and make an appointment for you with a hairdresser after your CAT.” Brianna laughed.

“Thanks. No sense letting it get ruined by the big metal tube of doooooom,” she giggled as they started out, bumping into Jessica on their way out. She had a bottle of water in her hand that she had already half finished.

“Hey Juliette, who’s the new girl with you, and where’s Mark?”

up
383 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Very nice, Very nice

GypsyWoman's picture

Loved the chapter, the kids and the story as a whole. I am just waiting for more. More please.

Kat H

Well it seems Megan/Mark

Well it seems Megan/Mark passes so well that not even people who have just been interviewing her recognize her.
Will definitely be a truly awesome eye opener when Jessica realizes who Megan is.

woops will they be letting

woops will they be letting the cat out of the bag early or did they just let another friend in on the secret

I just read all three chapters....

D. Eden's picture

And the only problem that I can see with this story is that I ran out of story to read!

This has been fantastic, and I can't wait to see more.

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Lysol spray

From what I read, Lysol spray in the eyes may very well be disabling to a certain extent so even if that happened accidentally it would still buy you time to escape.

"who’s the new girl?"

Hypatia Littlewings's picture

*giggles*

Mini cliffy!
*wonders who is gonna answer and what way*

>i< ..:::

Really great!

Breanna Ramsey's picture

I loved this chapter! My favorite moment would have to be when the other doctor used the 'shock approach' on Megan. She was, like, "Well, you know what they say about opinions..."

I kinda had a suspicion they were worrying over nothing when it came to Mom. Kids like to think they can pull the wool over their eyes, but parental units are quite often far more aware of what's going on than they suspect. I was really proud of Janet; I've never had children, but I can well imagine th hardest part of being a parent is accepting when it's time to take a step back and let them spread their wings.

Jessica seems very nice, so I doubt there's any reason to fear the cliffhanger ending. It was great when Megan threw done her star power to get her for the second interview. That was a great example of how to properly wield influence, not to simply get what you want, but to help someone else too. Jessica seems to be a bit lacking in self-confidence, but I'm sure that hanging out with Megan, Juliette and their growing band of sisters will help her a lot.

Let's see, what else? Well, Rebecca of course. Very cool character, definitely not your typical goth chick. She'll liven things up even more, I have no doubt.

I've been eagerly checking for this to appear the last couple of days, and I may have squealed -- just a little -- when I saw it. Thanks s much to both of you, can't wait for chapter 4!

Hugs,

Bree

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
-- Tom Clancy

http://genomorph.tglibrary.com/ (Currently broken)
http://bree-ramsey314.livejournal.com/
Twitter: @genomorph

Uh oh!

“Hey Juliette, who’s the new girl with you, and where’s Mark?”

Uh oh! Is the cat about to be let out of the bag; or will Megan and Juliette pull one over on poor Jessica for the time being!

This delightful story continues to enchant us! The characters are all so down-to-earth and believable, I am eagerly looking forward to your next chapter! Thanks for sharing this with us!

Jenny

This is going to be intresting to

Renee_Heart2's picture

Tell this tail to the girl who just interviewed Mark. I look foward to seeing he Reaction when they do tell Jessica that Megan is really Mark.

As for mom kind of partly releasing Megan to be her own person & make he'd own decisions but guarninship & management responsiblis to Brianna. I'm glad mom was kept in the loop by the Dr's. I think it helped. Megan is a smart girl, & very mature young woman. Now the sister needs to tell mom she's lesbian but knowing mom she already knows, and is ok with it :)

Love Samantha Renee Heart

Fun Way...

...at the end of the chapter to handle the next big reveal. (I initially misunderstood and thought Jessica ran into them when they were coming out of Juliette's dressing room, which made me wonder why Jessica would be expecting to find Mark there. Re-reading it, I guess you meant that they met as they were leaving the building.)

Actually, the cover story would suffice: Mark's incognito as Megan Stuart to evade his fans while on a short career break. I guess we'll see how they proceed; I'm inclined to think that now that they've enlisted Jessica as their "regular" interviewer and promised further revelations in two weeks, they'll have no problem letting her in on things early, and she'll have no trouble accepting it. But they don't have to -- and of course there's the slight possibility that Jessica won't be comfortable with Mark transitioning.

Enjoyable chapter as always in this series.

Eric

aww i was really enjoying

aww i was really enjoying that, the chemistry between megan and julliete is great and so funny that im disappointed to reach the end. cant wait to read more.

I like it.

Transitioning from a celebrity POV. Wonder how will the fans react to it.

Will it hurt her fan base?

Given she was considered a guy, what will happen to her female fan-base? Forgive me for not being PC but I believe the Disney fan-base is majority female at that age. It will be interesting switch to see if she can swing the switch from being a male idol to possibly being a female role model.

Jeez, another of my stories

I was starting a story about a boy starring in a TV show that had him be gender fluid, but I guess I need to stop writing it and go back to writing Tarja and Summer Girl. Darn...

TGSine --958

I just had to peek...

laika's picture

And I loved how this chapter's mini-cliffhanger was resolved, but I'm saving chapter 4 to read tomorrow.
I'll be sad when I've finished it but I like the length of these stories, a commitment of 40 or 4000 chapters might mean I never start it; even if I like the writing. And there's a certain focus to a 9-10 parter like MAGIC OF THE KINGDOM (and probably this one too), a well-shaped plot that goes from point B to point G.

The One Thing

That I have trouble believing is that Megan could hide a skirt under her pants (jeans?) and not have it come out all wrinkled. My experience shows me that skirts, any skirts, wrinkle badly even if they are folded neatly. I generally have to hit them with an iron before wearing, so I always use a motel that has irons in the rooms.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin