Turning 16 chapter 6

Printer-friendly version


Turning 16

Chapter 6

Nancy's Tale

(This part told from Nancy's point of view)

I danced around waiting for Rose to get seated so I could tell her my news. I could not stand still and I could see it was making Rose not happy. She always wanted me to play the perfect maid and nanny always so reserved and proper. I just could not bring myself to do that right now. She finally indicated that she was ready to listen to my tale.

Here goes "It started easy as I was looking after the babies as always. I was kind of down but not to bad. Rose came in and gave me the afternoon off. That picked up my spirits a bit. When she gave me some money to look around the market made me even happier. This was the first time I had got to leave the nursery for some time. I had heard of the wonders market that was the hit of the castle but had never been. It did not take long to make my way there. The other servants had told me all about getting around the castle the easy way. At the edge of the market I stopped to straiten my dress before entering the fray. I had been told how to avoid the traps of the merchants so was confident that I would make a good showing today. I kept to the edges of the market the center was for the nobles. Talking with the other servants made me wary of straying in too far. I was looking at some hand made toys thinking they would make James and Jenny happy and my job easier when I felt a pair of eyes on me. I looked around and found it was the merchant from the next booth that was staring at me. At first I thought it was a man but looking closer it was a woman dressed man-like. I am used to being stared at but this was different. I decided to go over and look at her booth so I could find out why she was staring."

I paused at this point in the story to let Rose comment if she wished. She told me to go on. "I glided up to the stall. It held a ton of dresses of all kinds. The merchant looked me over and asked what part of the Island I was from because she was not able to pin down where from my dress like everyone else? I said I was a traveling nanny for a noble. I thought I should not give away too much. She smiled and asked if I was from the outlands? She heard that they dressed more formal out there. This merchant was good she was trying to pin me down. This could be fun. We travel a lot and I find the more formal styles fit everywhere. This is a dance I knew. This was fun. But why with her? We danced with words back and forth never giving too much. This was how the game was played. My last few lovers did not have this so did not last long. This was what I was looking for the dance. The last few years I had been getting more and more dissatisfied with the gay lifestyle. Maybe what I needed was a Manish Woman."

Some how she got me to try on several dresses. They fit perfectly and flattered me well. She took a long late lunch and showed me the market. Some where along the line I fell for this woman surprising me no end. There it was I was in love. Here I was a man dressed as a woman in love with a woman dressed as a man. Lar was a wonder she could tell many things just by the way people dressed. Yes she knew about me. She said it was a bold choice and one she could respect. Maybe this is the love I have been searching for. We talked about sex and how we were both just going through the motions before but maybe this time it could be real. Yes I did eventually reveal that I worked for two Duchesses. She was impressed. We spent the afternoon together wandering the market. By the end of the day I was in love.

After it was over I headed back to the nursery to see to the kids and tell you Rose
all about it.

(And back to Belle's point of view)

I watched Nancy jump around telling his story. it is the most animated I have ever seen him. To see someone who claims to be a proud gay man dressed like a Maid/Nanny fall head over heels for a masculine dressed woman. Well to each their own. I wont interfere in any way. I have my own worries to see to. My Mother was sulking somewhere wanting to get her hands on Jenny. I got her chased off but I don't think she will stay gone. I have to take action. I needed to see the Queen. Just then the door opened and in walked the Queen with her was several guards. This could be bad.

The Queen said "I hear there was a problem here a little while ago?"

I said "Yes, Your Majesty My Mother tried to take Jenny. I told two guards that and they ran her off. I don't believe she will stay gone or how far she will go. She is crazy they should have never let her out of the hospital."

The Queen said "You mentioned that before tell me more?"

I frowned "The grief for my sisters passing gave her a breakdown that put her in the hospital for many months. By the way she is acting I think they released her too soon. My sister put Jenny in my hands and said you are her mother now. Tell her about me someday. Then she died and my Mother lost it. I was officially listed as Jenny's Mother and I had to see to everything including burying my sister while taking care of a newborn. That is my past, Your Majesty."

She smiled a sad smile. She said "Captain you are to detail two guards to be outside this room when the Duchess has her daughter here. No one enters that is not in this room at this time. If the Duchess takes her daughter out of here you will have two female guards to escort her at all times. Do you under stand Captain?"

The Captain said "Yes Your Majesty! It will be done."

I said nothing just curtsied to her. She nodded and smiled a smile that was hard to read. She said "Tell me do you know your Mother and I knew each other years ago? We went to school together. I was just starting the school when she was just finishing. She was detailed to show me around. She made me feel quite special at that time looked after me almost like a big sister. She has changed so much. I wont forget that time. This is for you to finish."

I smiled a hard smile. "I understand. She may be my Mother but I will let no one take my child from me!" Suddenly my Mother came out of nowhere. I took a half step to put myself in her path. There was a dagger in her hand. I braced myself for her rush. I stepped forward to meet her. I grabbed her arm and pulled as I spun. I kept spinning working up some speed. Then I let go at the right time as she hit the pillar. there was a sound of breaking bones and she slowly slid down till she was sitting on the floor. I took a step towards her. I stopped "Get a healer here quick." I waited there as she slowly bled on the floor.

Her eyes were on me. "You don't deserve that child. You are nothing! I will never stop coming after you! You let me live you will never be rid of me!"

I looked at a guard "Lend me a blade." He held out a dagger. I took the blade and stepped over to her. I placed the tip of the blade on her chest. "Is this what you want me to kill you. After all these years of fighting is this what it comes down to? Well I wont give you what you want. You will live and we will continue to fight till the bitter end." I stood up and returned the dagger to its owner. The healer went to my Mother and started working on her. I looked at the Queen "I will not kill unless absolutely necessary. She may be crazy but I wont kill her. Things have always been bad between her and I. I don't think they will ever be what it should be between a Mother and Daughter. Once she is able to travel I will contact my Uncle and have him take her back to the hospital. Hopefully they will help her this time. If she gets out and is still going after me and Jenny I will deal with it as best as I can."

The Queen smiled "You past the test beyond our hopes." My Uncle John stepped into the room smiling broadly.

The healer stood up. "We need to get her into surgery as soon as we can. I will let you know how it goes. Right now it is touch and go." Off she went with my Mother on a stretcher. I was not sure how I felt about the whole thing. Uncle John put a hand on my shoulder. Jenny started to fuss so I picked her up. She quieted as I held her.

Uncle John looked at me as I settled Jenny down. "I will take your Mother to the hospital as soon as she can travel. I can see they let her out way too early. What are you going to do Duchess?"

I thought a bit. "I am going to finish my vacation then I am going to go home. If your Majesty needs me that is where I will be. Send a message and I will return." I smiled "I made a promise and I will keep it." The Queen and Uncle John left after that.

The next week went well. Rose and I spent most of our time together. The kids were well looked after by us or Nancy. We let Nancy have time off to pursue his love affair. With 3 days left I was told my Mother was shipped back to the mainland hospital for treatment. That she was off the Island made me feel better. That evening the Queen called me to her chambers.

I reached her chambers in a short time. I knocked and the maid showed me right in. The Queen was at a writing desk looking over papers and making notes. I waited quietly for her to notice me. She looked up and smiled. "It has been awhile since I had to deal with mainland law. So I was reviewing the laws that apply to your case. Yes I used to be a lawyer." She smiled "I have made this for you. I think it will be helpful." She handed me a scroll. I unrolled it and it turned out to be a official declaration stating I was a Duchess of this Island and a ambassador to the mainland. "You will just need to show that ring to the gate keeper at the dock and they will let you and up to 4 companions on the boat no charge. If you need a break from the mainland use the ring. It will work as many times as you need it to.

To be continued

As always all life giving comments welcome.

up
131 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I like this story, hopefully

I like this story, hopefully her mother can get straightened out.
Impatiently awaiting for the next chapter, thanks

Hopefully

GypsyWoman's picture

Thanks for the comment. More will be on the way Saturdays. Have fun and read.

Kat H

You have the gift

.. of a great storyteller Gypsy. I like this tale very much and the little kingdom. I look forward to the next chapter

Joanna.

I'm a Little Puzzled...

...by that "you passed the test" line. Did they deliberately let her mother into the room just to find out whether Belle would kill her in self-defense? Putting Belle's life in danger seems a rather extreme way to accomplish that. (Cynical, too. It's been a while since I read the rest of this, but I don't recall the queen having so little regard for other people's lives.)

If the queen had died when Belle, in defending herself, threw her into the pillar had enough to break her bones, the "test" would have been inconclusive at best, and of course if the queen's dagger had reached its mark, Belle's death would have been the ultimate failure. The only way the test accomplishes what they'd presumably hoped for is with the mother incapacitated after her attack, and the odds that she'd be conscious and actively antagonistic at that point weren't all that great. And in any case, if they thought the mother could be cured, putting her in a situation where she was likely to die doesn't seem very responsible.

Eric

I like it

Even thought she is a real duchess now, it is still a story so down to earth or I might be wrong because I wouldn't know what will happen next. Thanks for this. :)