Julina of Blackstone - 049 - The Consociation

Printer-friendly version

The Bad Day gets worse, before some improvements appear

grakh
 
Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles, Book 2

by Julia Phillips

049 – The Consociation


Disclaimer:

The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended.
This story is copyright © 2013 - 2020 Julia Phillips. All rights reserved.

It uses some of the associated characters and situations that arise from the world called ‘Anmar’ created by Penny Lane, whose stories
are also copyright © 2010 - 2020 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.


Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles
049 – The Consociation

“Maker! What now?”

I also used some curse words, but only in my own head. It wouldn't do to be using expletives in front of my younger sister, after all!

We were all working in the Kitchen at Em's, for once with no pressure as all the diners had been contacted and told that the Salon would not be opened tonight. We had to replenish our basic stocks and broths after that stupid woman Konna had nearly ruined everything for us. I was still SO very angry about it all, that I was chopping the vegetables far harder than actually necessary. In my head it seemed so long ago, but actually was only that very morning.

But the good companionship of my friends and my sister, as well as the calming influence of Kassama were already weaving healing tendrils of good humour into my disturbed insides.

Which is why I felt so disappointed when yet another urchin arrived for me.

Asking for me to go urgently to the Claw. He was tapping his foot, as he tried to show me that it was really very, very urgent.

The others waved me away, so I washed my hands, dusted down my dress, and scurried after the Urchin down to the Claw.

And then up to the men's dormitory!

To say I was shocked to be led up the men's staircase would be like saying it gets a tad wet in the rains!

I hesitated at the foot of those stairs, but the urchin urged me on, tutting with impatience.

After climbing hesitantly, I entered the forbidden room and was immediately overwhelmed by many things.

The size of the room.

The size of the crowd there.

The very male smell in the air, which I was used to, having cleaned my brothers' room so often.

The almost silence of that large crowd.

The sorrow on their faces.

Faces turned to look at me, and I was sort of ushered through the throng, still not knowing why I was there. In effect, I was pulled through it until I reached a cot-side.

Two Healers were tending to the man lying there. One was Mistress Lendra, the other was Mistress Twaite. It must be serious if the Town's two most renowned Healers were present.

Lendra looked up and saw me.

“Thank you, Julina, for coming so rapidly. You are in time!”

I was still a little dazed and 'twas but then that I took my first look at the person on the cot.

… … ...

“Oh Jaffy! What is it?” I said in a tear-stained voice as I sank to my knees, clasping one of Jafferkin's hands in mine.

His eyes fluttered open. He croaked a couple of times trying to find his voice, which eventually came out all weak and raspy: “Julina. You the best in Town. You the daughter I always wanted. But the woman I wanted never found me.” He managed a weak but wry grin. “Even so, daughter, you never cooked for me. I tried ...”

“Oh Jaffy! I wasn't there last night and my trainee assistant got it all wrong!” I managed to squeeze out between my sobs. “I am so dreadfully sorry!”

He breathed painfully a few times, but then, just when we were thinking he could not say more, he made an extreme effort: “Listen, too late now! Say bye to Megrozen. She always the one I wanted, from moment I clapped my peepers on 'er. Josten, he yours now. And the wagons. I have the one here and three down in Tranidor. Rohid knows all. All rest yours too, but not much ...” He broke off, and tried to cough, but even that was exhausting to him.

He was silent, except for his laboured breathing. I was trying my hardest to control my sobs – I didn't want his last moments to be listening to my sorrow. I held his hand, gently stroking it. I let my silent tears drip down.

It is no old woman's tale that there is a death rattle. I heard it for myself, as did all around me.

My tears were joined by those of several others around, and not just women either.

… … …

“Regret must inform Jafferkin dead – all goods bequeathed Mistress Julina – witnessed – plse gather together, prepare statement of holdings – J says pay any debts from Wender earnings – J arrive within month, decide then any sales – Julina and Kordulen”

Papa, Kords and I walked back to Em's from the semaphore office even as the arms above the Cistern were click-clacking away with our message to Rohid.

I was still shocked and tearful, but knew I had to lose myself in work.

The pyre had been set for the following afternoon and I supposed I would have to speak then. But I would think about that later, to do so now would be to reduce me to sorrow and introspection. I really needed work to distract me.

… … ...

I was unaware of the entirety of what the others had done, but we were now at a stage where we had recovered sufficient basics to be used for meals even were they to be on the morrow, and some for the day after. I had determined that we needed a further day to regroup and so had sent more urchin messages to those who were to be disappointed. I wished there was a way we could keep food fresher than now, but that I knew was just a dream that could never be fulfilled. I came out of wherever my mind had been and took in what we had achieved.

These girls, and Kassama, were magnificent. Something else entirely, both in attitude and results. Over and above anything I could ever have asked for. Or expected.

And they all were so supportive.

I burst into tears.

Again.

… … …

Mousa had coped with the extra demand suddenly thrust on her and her team last night, as Kassama used those services to feed her guests, and most of our disappointed diners also availed themselves of her services.

I came to a conclusion last night as I was laying in my bed, tossing about on my tear-stained pillow.

From now on, we would close the Salon one night a week. This would make life far easier for each of my team, and would free up some space and time for the training of new staff. Maybe even for the cooks, if the Guild-like thing ever came to fruition. We could also use the time for routine maintenance.

… … …

My heart was still heavy when I lifted my equally heavy body off the bed and slouched into the bathroom.

That day's breakfast was a stark contrast to the one just a couple of days ago.

It was Kissa who really rescued me from my threatened descent into a depression.

She there and then arranged for us all to have a Tai Chi session, something that I had not been doing too regularly recently.

She scolded me into doing it properly and not just bumbling through the forms.

And soon, I felt the healing begin.

It was not too long before I was in a position to resume a more normal life; not that life felt particularly normal at that moment.

I started planning my day in outline – in my head, of course.

Suddenly Kissa said she had to rush off.

Huh? Number 2 sister with appointments? I waved Swayga off and went with Kissa, just because I was curious. Swayga and I had relaxed the rule of always travelling in pairs for Kords (and myself) but not for Kissa.

I soon discovered that she was going today to work with Haka. As Haka approached ever more quickly the birth of her next child, Kissa had taken to helping her with not just the housework and looking after Haris, but also with some of her seamstressing!

I understood immediately that these would be the easy tasks and not the tricky ones, but nevertheless, I felt a surge of pride for my little sister. Some of her work was good enough to appear in the products of Mistresses Hasinet and Haka!

But I was also saddened by it all. Not so long ago, I would have known what was going on with all of them. Nowadays, I was becoming a stranger to them. I started sniffling, but wouldn't mention why when they both pressed me.

I stayed with them both for maybe a bell, before I needed to go and teach, today down at the Claw. My tears were dry, I made sure, before I went down there.

Those lessons were difficult, as Jafferkin was not far from all our thoughts. But I managed to use him and memories of him to illustrate some of my lessons – lessons which I was certain would stick in the minds of the students better than some of the others I had given.

But despite being difficult, those lessons were not as difficult as when we went, immediately after they finished, to the Town Bridge and the level area for Jaffy's pyre.

… … …

I raised the cloth once again to my eyes. I was trembling, not only because of the sorrow and emotion, but also because I would have to make the first eulogy, and later apply the torch.

I understand that this happens in other places in a different order, but up here the pyres are so near the mourners that the crackling of the flames could drown the words spoken.

I got a nudge in my back, and I swallowed. Where had this shakiness in my knees come from? I used a trick that came from I know not where. I arched my neck back and yawned, while slowly bending forward. This had the effect I had discovered of loosening slightly my voice, allowing a greater flexibility.

I managed to move forward some two strides, so that all could see me.

Again I swallowed, and I coughed slightly, for I knew my voice needed to carry a fair distance, with as few catches as I could. That yawning had helped, I felt.

My adoption of my stance was sufficient for the onlookers to settle down; a silence swiftly fell, broken only in our ears by the gusts of wind that marched in. I had to keep one hand on my skirts to prevent them blowing too much. I saw familiar faces, my friends and family amongst them.

The silence became almost intense, which was quite remarkable really since there were hundreds of people there!

As expected, few of the miners, the newcomers if you like, were present, but my eyes, still so busy scanning round and round, showed that nearly all the Townies were there.

Of course, I was used to speechifying to groups of people, after all I am a teacher and I had that brief experience down in Tranidor when the Count Trosanar tried to embarrass me, but this was here, in my own home Town, with friends, family and also, yes, foes all staring at me. All the wagoneers and the staff of the Claw were also present.

I cast my mind back briefly to Tranidor. What had got me through that torture?

The answer dropped immediately into my thoughts. Why 'twas anger!

I didn't really need to search far for something to drive my anger. That blasted woman!

I felt this angry energy flooding me, and I confess I had to fight to control it, to channel it to my purposes.

Suddenly, I realised I was ready.

“Good morrow all, and, dare I say it, good sorrow?”

I paused there, to let them think about those words, to let them realise that I wasn't going to be wallowing in sadness and in pity. I imagined I could detect a slight lightening of the mood. I pushed some extra lightness into my tones.

“This task, but recently thrust upon me, is onerous and difficult. Despite my looks, I have indeed obtained my majority, but most of you know that full well, already. Nevertheless, I am feeling particularly young and alone right at this heartbeat.

“We are gathered here today to share our memories of the man known to us as Jafferkin, but known to a smaller group of us as Jaffy.

“I see some of you puzzled as to why 'tis I standing here now, speechifying. I was as shocked as any, when dear Jaffy declared me to be his heiress, even as he lay on his death bed. His breath departed while I was holding his hand. I was privileged to get to know him better and more personally through all the early months of this year, but he has always been a figure in our Town, since I was a little girl. Why, I used to envy him, envy his ability to come and go!”

I paused briefly for the polite chuckles and giggles to subside.

“'Twas shocking to me, for I had let him down. Let him down badly. I had invited him to dine in my little Salon,” there was a gasp that went around as some had not realised my role in that place, “and he chose to arrive for his promised meal on what was his last night on Anmar.”

Even I could feel my voice grow stronger as I continued from there. I was also aware of the sharp attention from my audience, a feeling that seemed energising somehow. Part of my mind marvelled at that, and at the boost of energy it gave me.

It seemed I might like speechifying after all.

“But he chose an evening when I was not on duty there.

“Due to the unfortunate breaking of some glass, one of my friends and co-workers, was unable to attend her duties and so I had hired a temporary replacement. But this was NOT a good hire, for she languishes even as we speak in the Sheriff's cells, arrested for theft and destruction, amongst other things. She, totally and unwarrantedly decided to take over my organisation in my absence, in the most cowardly way possible.

“When dear Jaffy arrived for his oft-promised meal, she sent him away, sent the 'scruffy Wagoneer' scuttling away from a promised meal, sent him back out in the night alone and unfed on what would be the last night of his life.”

I paused for a little longer but still briefly, just long enough for the gasps to be heard.

“I was glad!”

This time the pause was even longer and the gasps louder.

“For what that silly … er … woman,” I spat the word out, “produced as food, was not something I would feed even to a Grakh or a Feltren. I am SO glad that dear Jaffy's last meal was not such a dreadful one. At least I was able to console myself that Jaffy had eaten with us as a family on four, or maybe a hand of occasions at our home. We all slowly learnt about each other on those evenings.

“I got to know him far better when I, and a group of friends, made a trip to down to Tranidor, and back, of course. Jaffy was our wagoneer, and we actually managed to get him to say things to us. Words that were strung together into whole sentences! This was a most unusual occurrence for him. He was usually taciturn to the point of silence. His usual communication style was with single grunts and the occasionally recognisable word.”

This time, my pause was filled, as I had hoped, with some chuckles, giggles and even a laugh or two.

“An example of this unusual happening was on one occasion when I was sad. No meaningless murmurs from him that time, oh no! He told me bluntly: 'Along with the sunshine there's got to be a little rain sometime.'

“Sunshine would not be a word readily associated with Jaffy and his relationships to others, but the opposite was NEVER present. He never brought others down by his attitude. I am unable to think of the man and place any 'rain' in his demeanour.

“Jaffy was kind enough - but he left it, mind you, until his death bed, the silly man - to tell me that I was the daughter he always wished he had had.

“However, Jaffy had long, long ago met the woman who stole his heart, the woman against whom all others paled. But she was merely very fond of him, for when they met she was married. Indeed freshly married.

“He never did manage to steal her heart and so he retreated inside himself, and devoted himself to the long and lonely journeys through our almost silent forests and woods. He found as much contentment as was possible in worshipping this woman from afar.

“Even after her husband died – for by that time, he was too bound into his habits for him to declare himself.

“I know for a fact that she would have loved to be here to add her own words, but she has gone downvalley. She shall be most upset when the news of his passing reaches her.

“He has been a regular supplier of goods, both inbound to our Town, and outbound, for more years than I have been alive, and his steadfastness has been appreciated by all of us, not the least during those dreadful Trogan days. A long-standing servant of our Town.

“So my words about someone I found to be a wonderful, solid, steadfast and caring man need be cut off now, thus allowing others to tell you of his qualities over all the years of that long service, and therefore be able to relate things about him of which I have no possibility of knowing.

“Dearest Jaffy, I shall miss you!”

I stepped back those few paces, back into the anonymity of the crowd there, leaving the way open to others to have their say.

I was crying so much by then that I could barely see.

Speaker after speaker stepped up to say their words. Yes there were some negatives, but they made the man's mostly-hidden character shine – they supplied us with the necessary contrast to all the good stories about him.

It must have been close to a bell later, that the priest turned to his assistant and they lit the torch, making sure it was fully alight before handing it to me.

I walked, despite the return of shaky knees, the cast or so to the pyre and waited, as I had been told to, for the priest to make his sign, that we both should begin our duties at the same heartbeat. The sign duly came, and I was busy thrusting the torch into the great pile at various places, so I sort of missed his first few utterances. At least my movements hid the shaking tremors of my hands.

Not that it mattered that I missed those starting words, I had heard them so often I could recite them myself from memory, as, I suspect, could most of those gathered around, even some of the younger ones.

"The Maker made the world, and the Sun, the moons and the stars above. The Maker made the plants and creatures within the world including ourselves. We do not know the Maker's purpose, and we do not know if the Maker has ever visited the world since it was made. All we know is that the world is the Maker's creation, not ours, and we have a responsibility to live in the world in such a way that it is kept as the Maker may have originally intended.

"To that end we offer to return the body of our departed brother Jafferkin, who has no further use for it, so that the substance of which it is made can be used by the world again. We offer this body as a token of our responsibility and as the last act which our brother Jafferkin will make in the world. As his body turns to ashes we will remember the man he was and give thanks for his presence in the world."

Most people stayed there and watched as Jaffy was consumed by the flames, but 'twas still probably two quarters of a bell before all had drifted away.

I was one of the last.

… … …

I was busy chopping, simmering and roasting in the kitchens up at Em's.

Frying and mixing and swirling and stripping and skinning.

Rolling and bashing. Slicing. Washing and drying.

And everything else a cook does.

And everything else I could do to not let my thoughts dwell.

My eyes were still red and were still streaming, but this time it wasn't solely because of the emotions.

All the girls were again there with me, Kassama as well – even Molly pitched in. She was sitting at a table and helping with much of the food preparation. To find space for a little table and a chair was more than a trifle awkward, and we had rearranged some of the kitchen furniture and equipment to accommodate it.

This wasn't too bad as it happens, for now we had a chance to rearrange those things that had been giving us niggles, and about which we had frequently complained.

Twas Molly who suddenly exclaimed, making me nearly slice into my fingers: “Look, out there, in the courtyard – a Dranakh! Looking straight at us!”

Without looking, I knew who it was, so I rushed out there.

Josten snorted and bleated at me, and I wrapped my arms around his neck.

And started crying again.

… … ...

We excelled ourselves that evening in what we prepared and stored, what we had made for enhancing our food when we re-opened, maybe because our emotions leant strength and inspiration to us. As it happens, we could have catered for some of those who had reserved, but not everyone, so really and truly it had been a good decision to cancel the evening. I know for a fact that Mousa was a little grateful, as her orders increased by more than a few!

We were finished with all I had targeted by just before dark descended, a bell or two earlier than our normal work's end.

I called the team together, and was glad when they gathered promptly around, supportive faces and atmosphere present.

“Phew! It has been a BAD day, today.”

There were a few nods, but tentative ones which gathered strength as I continued: “However, I must say that was a GOOD last half-day of work, and I thank you all from the very depths of my heart. To make it a little better for us all, the K woman is going to end up paying for our dinner tonight, by the way. One of you shall go and fetch an urchin for tonight; we shall send him to Mousa for our six dinners – or, Kassama, are there any of your guests who might wish to eat also? Let's have the urchin come and take our orders in ten moments, that you have time to find out all that is necessary.”

They all agreed, Kassama climbed the stairs and suddenly Kords, Gyth and Kelly dashed out of the room, telling Molly and I to stay where we were.

Meaning me of course, for poor Molly was hardly fully mobile even yet.

Those others had obviously exchanged eye messages and I was sort of worried that I hadn't seen any of that. Was I losing my abilities to observe my surroundings?

Kassama came back after a short while and then the others came in, saying they had found an urchin, who would come to the kitchen door in two moments. We selected what we wanted – I just wanted a small portion of her stew, Kords wanted her Gavakhan slices with sauce and vegetables, the others had their own preferences. Kassama then ordered for B and B too, who had always been going to do that, but took the opportunity to join in with us. The three girls dashed out once more, and I suddenly realised what they were up to.

But I wouldn't let on that I knew.

We chatted generally for a little while until I called for attention. It was most gratifying to be met with instant attention and silence.

“Before the food arrives in around a quarter of a bell now, there are some things I wish ... nay, that's wrong … er ... some things I NEED to say. Please bear with me, as there are a number of points to be covered. I shall split them into various numbered points, but several are intertwined with other points, so perchance you should wait until I am finished before offering any opinion?

“Firstly, I need to thank you all for your hard work and willingness yesterday and today. I know that there is a certain amount of self-interest in there, in that we want some coin for our efforts and the longer we have no diners, the longer we don't get paid, nevertheless it has been a magnificent effort! You are all truly wonderful. I could not be more thankful. We should all be proud of ourselves.

“Secondly, I wish to address certain recent events. I wish to start with asking for your opinions on something I thought about last night. So here goes: as an introduction first, though, 'tis my belief that we are all working too hard, and we are all not seeing things that should be obvious. I would like to involve you all and get all your opinions please before WE take a decision. I shall tell you my idea and leave it for you to think about. We'll talk amongst ourselves and then, when we have finished dinner, we together shall decide.

“I propose that we no longer open every night for diners. I think we should simply declare that on one day every week, which day we shall then select if we DO decide to close, when we should have to ourselves a day without the pressure and demands of customers. A day upon which we can do some maintenance, replenish stocks, find new recipes and so on – much as we have done these past two days. Please think seriously about it, think of both the advantages and the disadvantages. These last two days have been pressure-filled, but they have taught certainly me something, and I hope the rest of you too.

“Thirdly, we need to talk about who works here. The K woman has been a disaster ...”

“I loved the way you managed to destroy her reputation at the pyre this afternoon, without saying her name! I made sure that the people near me knew who you were talking about, and some promised to make sure that the news got spread.”

The others all agreed with Gyth when she said that, and I confess to a dash of pleasure that at least they had got the message.

“Now, now girls,” I said, but that was mostly for form's sake. I dropped my voice to a whisper: “And by the way, I'm not finished with that woman yet.”

The others all chortled and cheered that.

“Now, back to staffing. I regret to have to inform you that Molly here will be leaving us!”

There were gasps and a chorus of protest.

“No, no! Molly has done marvellously here but her heart isn't really in it. She has found a new line of work, and she shall tell us all about it as we eat. That morning's fuss all occurred when there was supposed to be an Assembly meeting in the Dining Room, so all the Assembly members have put their minds to our problems, for Mistress Konna made herself universally unpopular with each and every one of them. I have received from them a list, a long and comprehensive list, of names of those who they feel could be suited to working here. Each contributor has naturally their own source, although some names appear more than once.”

A little cheer ran round the others, but I held my hand up to silence them.

“They suggested that we, please note the word WE, start the equivalent of a Guild for Cooking or Catering! They are prepared to advise on how WE set it up and run it. If we can show a clear career path with some solid goal for students to work towards, then WE could be starting a new trend in all Palarand. This is another thing for us to think about, but is not so urgent. Let us decide in say a week's time? Alright?”

They all nodded their agreement.

“Let me see. Hmmm. I think we are now up to fourthly. So. Fourthly. I want to set up a time when we can review events, on a regular basis. Remember Milady had those meetings after major events. What did she call them?”

“De something,” said Kords.

“Brief!” said Molly. “Debriefings”

“That's it! So I propose that we have our weekly debriefing on the same day as we close for that one evening. Make it a sort of back room day, where decisions and improvements are made away from customers.”

“Fifthly, I want you all to be involved in testing applicants for suitability to work here. The K woman was recommended by Michet, but only on the basis of asking one of the women's groups if they knew anyone. She arrived here, if you like, by a sort of default; we all assumed that someone else had approved her. It has become clear that we all need to be involved in the appointment process.

“Oh, and by the way, Master Jepp told her something I hadn't heard before, and that was that any additional person or persons will have to be approved by the Assembly. This will continue to be a necessity until such time as the Assembly move to the Community Hall, for they determined that access to this room shall be for approved people only. They also declared that SHE shall never be given such approval.”

They all nodded, with a sort of relief, wonder and dawning comprehension.

“Sixthly ...”

But there was to be no sixthly.

Our food arrived then, and we were all about to sit down to eat it there in the kitchen when Gyth said: “Hold! Ladies, this is a Jafferkin celebration dinner. Please make your ways to the Dining Room, where we have set up a table for us all. Kassama, could you please summon Berdon and Battayla?”

Thus it was, that we six joined B and B for a solemn but emotionally-releasing dinner. They quickly understood our discussions with regard to the way the Salon should be run, and indeed offered sensible suggestions.

The conversation was mostly female-driven, Berdon being the only male there. But still we managed to have a good time, given all the circumstances.

So much so that I determined that we should open a bottle of wine to toast Jaffy's memory.

And thus it was that the 3rd month of the year came to an end.

… … …

“Why do grown-ups drink wine?” moaned Kords, holding her head at breakfast the next day.

“I did warn you to drink more slowly.”

“Well I was – at least until you brought out that fourth jug.”

“Drink some water,” was Swayga's unsympathetic retort. “As for you Julina, I thought you were close to going over the top about your problems with that woman at your restaurant. A pyre didn't seem to be the right place to score points.”

“With respect, Swayga, I seized an opportunity to bring that … woman's … behaviour to as wide an audience as I could. Today, I shall really start to bury her reputation.”

“Surely, her behaviour wasn't that bad?”

Kords and I looked meaningfully at each other before I replied: “You're right. It wasn't that bad.”

Kords looked a little shocked at first and then she relaxed and Swayga's slightly smug look shot from her face as I continued, almost viciously: “It was worse – considerably worse. She is in the CELLS, Swayga, because she is a criminal. Even all the Assembly members were shocked by what she did. I want to make sure that the whole Town know it – and if she ever moves out of here, I shall make sure that every roadhouse on the way downvalley knows what she did. I shall make her unemployable, certainly in all Milady's lands. And that's just for starters.”

“My, my. We ARE ferocious today. Mayhap you also had a glass too much last evening?”

“Swayga. You shall see. Until then, I suggest you back off with the sarcastic remarks. They are not acceptable right now.”

So said, I stood up and strode off to get finally dressed, slightly shocked at myself for correcting Swayga so firmly.

… … …

“Maker! I just don't know!”

“I understand. It is difficult isn't it? We confiscated everything in her house. Her man wasn't happy, but was somehow resigned to it. From his remarks, I suspect we shall hear of a divorce petition soon. He said he would be able to be fed elsewhere now his woman is unavailable. He took some persuading to be responsible for making sure she is fed and watered and clothed whilst in the cells. THAT shall be a token service, I deem.”

“We will just have to assume that all the coin is still here in the pot. We had no accounting of it. And we have four of the five missing forks. So that's a start. I wonder what happened to the last of them. The cutlery and crockery I have been able to identify easily. It was a special shipment that Em had delivered. She would be able to confirm all this, of course, whenever she gets back”

“Ah yes! We had a semaphore. They spent last night just south of Haligo and should make it to Holville for tonight. They are expecting to reach Milady's lands for the following night, and then spend their last travel night at the Forest Roadhouse. So they have three more sleeps before reaching home. Em should be able to confirm all on that afternoon, if she is not too wearied.”

“Oh! Sheriff, that IS good news. Thank you for letting me know. Do we know how far behind them shall be Milady? Oh dear, I mean of course the Prince and Princess.”

He shook his head in denial, but added: “We have no definite news, you will understand, however we suspect she, they, shall be two, certainly no more than three, weeks behind our travellers.”

“I see. Now may I take those items I have identified, or are they needed to be kept isolated for Em to confirm?”

“'Twould be better were they to stay here, if you can manage without them. In fact, I deem they might be here quite a while, until His Honour tries that dreadful woman. You will recall how her Ladyship insisted on EVERYTHING being considered before passing a sentence?”

I nodded.

“Well I would wager that His Honour will be of the same mindset. Especially so if he decides to let Milady, no, silly me, the PRINCESS do the judging.”

He shook his head, as much frustrated as I was in getting her new title right. We had, of course, received the semaphore announcement almost a week ago, and the Town had enjoyed an impromptu party atmosphere that evening, but STILL we all thought of her as Milady.

Fedren continued: “It won't be a burden to the Salon if you are missing those items for that long?”

“I believe we can cope right well enough, even though tonight is going to be the busiest we have ever been, since we have many of those postponed diners appearing, as well as those that reserved for tonight. Not all the postponed ones could be accommodated mind you, so tomorrow seems to be just as busy. Two full sittings each evening. But at least we haven't had to offer coin to any of the disappointed diners. THAT would have been a problem, but offering them a postponed meal at half price seems to have done the trick.

“Dear Molly has offered to work in the background in the kitchens, leaving me to do the bulk of the work, since I insist she remains seated. After those two nights, I expect she shall retire from the kitchens and devote more time to the playactors. So we will need some help quite soon. I have made a start on those listed so helpfully by all you on the Assembly, and have determined that the first ones shall learn first by serving in the room. Later, they can be introduced to the kitchens and the routines there. The first one is due to arrive at the Salon later this morning.”

“So sensible an approach. It is most admirable.”

“So, by your leave Sheriff, I shall depart now and go and get on with a hectic schedule down there.”

“Thank you for visiting my office and identifying the items you have. I shall be in touch should we need any more assistance.”

“Thank YOU, Sheriff, for finding so much of what was taken. I'm sure yours and Suril's swift action has saved much from disappearing beyond discovery.”

… … …

“... so you see, Paivi, the secret is to put yourself in the customer's position ALWAYS. Ask yourself 'Would I like this word/action/behaviour/presentation/whatever' to happen to me? If you answer yourself with a 'No' then change whatever it is. Is that clear?”

“Oh yes, Mistress Julina. But I bin never in a rest-o-thingy afore.”

“Oh hush girl! I've already told you twice. Please. Just call me Julina. As for being in a restaurant or not, that shall be no problem. Neither had any of us when we started!”

Her eyes widened and her mouth dropped open when I said that.

I laughed.

I LIKED this girl.

She was maybe two years older than I and we had therefore not really mixed before, coupled with the fact that she was protected most of her life by an over-zealous father, Mayel, one of our Bakers. I say 'one of' because nowadays we had so many, but Mayel was the longest serving one in our community, well established long before I was born, and following in his father's footsteps, possibly even in his grandfather's. Certainly, we had bought our bread (and savouries) from his bakery whenever we could, only giving others our business when Mayel's could not supply our needs.

As soon as she grew up enough to begin to be attractive to boys, her father banished her to the kitchens and the ovens, making sure she was not a 'temptation' out there in the shop, serving customers. She had been effectively shut away since then, only venturing out for commissions when accompanied by her mother. Apparently, she had been very envious of us in particular, seeing our close-knit group laughing and joking and wandering around town almost as we wished.

I had selected her as the first possible co-worker because 'twas Master Blandel who spoke so highly of her. He had been her neighbour all her life, and I do have a soft spot for Master Blandel. He had quietly suggested to me that it was beyond time Paivi got out from virtual imprisonment in her own home, which was the lot of so many of we girls in those days.

It was only the more forward-thinking people, those being usually anyone who had had dealings with Milady, oh pooh … the Princess I mean ... who could break out of the shackles imposed by years and years of traditions, so no blame should be attached to Mayel and Heffy, her parents; they were just doing what was the norm for our society back then.

I swiftly found I had to break through her shyness and nervousness, but in the end managed that quite a lot sooner than I had originally thought.

And then I discovered she had a quick mind and a good sense of humour, so far hidden from me in any of the limited dealings I had had with her.

I was already aware of a hunger for knowledge, I knew this from her writing and reading lessons, for I had been teaching her there sometimes.

An instance: “Tell me again about these 'fork' thingies. About the special importance of these particular ones, and the history behind them. And after that, about where they and the knives are placed on the table. And can I be taught to use one please?”

“It's like this ...”

… … …

“Maker! That was much harder work than I expected!”

We all nodded at Paivi in understanding agreement.

“So,” I turned and asked Gyth, who had shared Dining Room duties with her, “what think you?”

I had prepared Paivi for this debriefing, for the fact that we all discussed both the goods and the bads that we all might learn and improve; this was not intended as a personal demolition, if 'twas necessary to say negative things.

“She was charming, smiley and helpful. She made mistakes as could only be expected but she charmed the customers sufficiently that they forgave her. She asked if she didn't know and she learnt quickly. I would say she was better than we were on OUR first nights. AND she sold more forks to the customers in one night than we have ever done!”

To cut what could be a long story quite short, all the girls approved of her joining us.

My feelings were that she had come along, had been genuinely interested, and had helped a little in the kitchens before spending the night with the customers in the Dining Room. She asked intelligent questions, she joined in with the joking and joshing and she looked on in amazement as we shared out last month's money from The Pot. It may have been because she immediately grasped the point of sharing it, or possibly the contrast with the K woman, whose name I had determined would never pass my lips again, but we all unanimously agreed that Paivi should join us, if she wanted to.

This time, I repeated what I had said earlier to all 'my' people, that the team is important, that, even if annoyed, the TEAM came first and so on. I deliberately told her all the negatives first, the long hours, the lack of joining in with public celebrations, the need to be polite at all times even if the customers weren't, and so on and so on.

It was a breath of fresh air to us all that it was then she who enumerated all the advantages. And even saying some we ourselves had not so far considered.

An exchange of eye messages resulted in my saying: “Very well, then, Paivi – you may start with us. We shall review this in a week's time. If we still feel confident in you at the end of the week, then you may work as a regular member of our team until the end of the month. If you still wish to be a member of our team then, then we shall enter a formal contract, and you shall join us permanently. What say you?”

Our answer was a shrill screaming shout of delight, and she did a little dance round the kitchen area, but carefully in some spots as she passed some of the still hot things.

“Really? Are you serious? Oh can I really and truly?”

Thus it was we started the new month with a new team.

… … …

The next day began a little miserably. The low scudding clouds were dropping their watery loads all about the head of the Bray. The weather was such that we had no idea of what it was like up in the Vale, and the semaphore could bring us no news of anything from downvalley.

To save Molly from scurrying about on slippery surfaces, we all, including Kissa as she was a small part of our team after all, made our various ways to Mousa's house as soon as we had broken our fasts. I asked Mousa if she could spare us a bell or so, just to observe in the background whilst we interviewed a hand more of girls from the Assembly's lists.

They all turned up, and shook off the rain in the entrance hall, their coats in varying states of repair.

To shorten again what could also be a very long tale, Mousa frowned at one of the hopefuls, and subtly shook her head in agreement while we girls disliked another and knew we would be strained working with that one.

When we explained some of the duties and the hours that would have to be worked, another excused herself.

Which left Frowka and Venket.

Frowka was the daughter of a recent arrival, one of the steady influx of workers. This particular man was employed at the newly fired-up coke facility down near the Forest. She had been recommended actually by Master Sinidar, the Tanner, for he had met the family when Frowka's brother had applied to him for work. Master Sinidar tries to hire only people with a sensible family background and so had gone to their home, or rather their tents, up at the Camping Ground. Master Sinidar was impressed enough by the family to offer the son, Rinko, a position. Thus he was able to recommend the daughter to me, to us.

Venket, on the other hand, was recommended by Mistress Lendra. An only child, she had been kept deep in the family until her mother became ill, and Lendra had visited their home in the Miners' Village. The family could continue on just the father's pay, but Lendra had been moved by some spark deep within the girl, and when I requested names for possible co-workers and trainees, Venket had immediately shot into her head.

The mere fact that Lendra had recommended her was almost enough for us all, however, we knew we should do this properly. Look at the trouble caused by trying to skimp on this very important step in the matter of that K woman!

… … …

“Paivi, this is Frowka and this is Venket. The two of them came to see all of us at Mousa's house this morn, and we all agree that they shall be taken on as we have done with you.”

“How marvellous! Welcome Frowka and Venket. I am sure I am going to love being here, but it IS hard work, I can tell you.”

“Paivi, before I give you your first tasks, you should also meet Kissa, short for Kordulissa. Like Kords … er, that's short for Kordulet, by the way, Frowka and Venket … like Kords, Kissa is my sister and has been helping us out too, but not as often. She is in fact a very capable seamstress, amongst her other talents.”

Kissa blushed the brightest of colours at that.

“Kelly, Gyth – which of you wish to help me in the kitchens with Kords, Kassama and Kissa? Actually, having said that, I supposed it would have to be Kelly as everyone else begins with a 'K'!”

That caused a good ice-breaking giggle to come from all around, and we could all see the two newcomers relax a little.

In the end, Gyth wanted to do some kitchen duties and that left Kelly to supervise the three newcomers. I grinned in delight and flashed Kelly an approving eye message when the four of them drifted out to the Dining Room, Kelly saying: “Now Paivi, sooner or later you are going to have to learn to teach someone else, so start now by explaining to these two all you learnt yester ...”.

The door swung to behind them, cutting off the rest of Kelly's words.

Kassama, Gyth, Kords, Kissa and I turned our attentions to the meal orders for later that evening. We found ourselves laughing together a lot, and I found myself feeling relieved and therefore being a lot less tense than recently.

Kelly and the others came in a few times for various reasons during that afternoon, all involving some form of learning. The rest of us heartily approved of Kelly's idea to have Paivi and Frowki being the first to serve the customers, Kelly would supervise and rush in where necessary, and Venket would simply stand to one side, learning by observing all that went on. Frowka would swap with Venket for the second sitting.

And so it was that the new era of the Salon started, with the first ever intake to what would soon become the Consociation of Caterers.

Even the weather seemed to approve, and the clouds left just before the first diners began to turn up.

I was again in the Kitchen, supervising as well as cooking, so I had little or no occasion to go to the Dining Room.

Until I was called in there, as apparently one of our diners had an announcement to make.


up
154 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Considering how many hard changes that has happening

This episode could just have been called 'transitions'. For one so relatively young, she has certainly been thrust into the thick of an incredibly complex and tumultuous life.

I am in early fifties now and my friends are older than me significantly so, as is my partner, as is my siblings, my eldest brother now wanting to add me as a trustee to his trust. My parents are already gone.

Julina is only receiving the first taste of what it is like to face ones mortality and the consequences thereof. I am sure I am not alone as the audience for this site, certainly a good number of authors, are on the older end of he scale.

And oh yes I remember Grambolina

But this is up close and personal.

I would prefer to die in my sleep.

Anyway, the details of the internal musings of Julina and the intricacies of communications between her many many characters are exquisite. As is the very astute observation of the smell of male quarters (ugh). I remember my brothers' room the same way.

There is a passage I have been wanting ...

... to include, at least in paraphrase, for a little while. But Julina has yet to see ocean waves and shipwrecks, so I can't!
Julina had early parenthood thrust upon her when her mother was trampled. I have, as has Penny, hinted that there is quite a high infant mortality rate, and that there are childhood diseases that also reduce the population. All citizens are used to the pyres. There is no concept of 'having the weekend off'. All are prepared to work, and work hard.

Which will have its toll.

*cackle* I have plans for that little girl, hee, hee, hee* (in my best evil witch's voice)

Keep a watch out, on the same channel ...

Joolz

That passage I mentioned?
Unknown author and I have not been able to trace it finally accurately.
But the spelling tells me it is of American English origin.

It seems to have first appeared some 4 or so years ago on a response on Reddit. It was then posted by someone called GSnow. But whether GSnow actually wrote it, seems not to be 100% clear.

For what it's worth:

"I'm old. What that means is that I've survived (so far) and a lot of people I've known and loved did not.

I've lost friends, best friends, acquaintances, co-workers, grandparents, mom, relatives, teachers, mentors, students, neighbors, and a host of other folks. I have not lost any children, and I can't imagine the pain it must be to lose a child. But here's my two cents...

I wish I could say you get used to people dying. But I never did. I don't want to. It tears a hole through me whenever somebody I love dies, no matter the circumstances. But I don't want it to "not matter". I don't want it to be something that just passes. My scars are a testament to the love and the relationship that I had for and with that person. And if the scar is deep, so was the love. So be it.

Scars are a testament to life. Scars are a testament that I can love deeply and live deeply and be cut, or even gouged, and that I can heal and continue to live and continue to love. And the scar tissue is stronger than the original flesh ever was. Scars are a testament to life. Scars are only ugly to people who can't see.

As for grief, you'll find it comes in waves. When the ship is first wrecked, you're drowning, with wreckage all around you. Everything floating around you reminds you of the beauty and the magnificence of the ship that was, and is no more. And all you can do is float. You find some piece of the wreckage and you hang on for a while. Maybe it's some physical thing. Maybe it's a happy memory or a photograph. Maybe it's a person who is also floating. For a while, all you can do is float. Stay alive.

In the beginning, the waves are 100 feet tall and crash over you without mercy. They come 10 seconds apart and don't even give you time to catch your breath. All you can do is hang on and float. After a while, maybe weeks, maybe months, you'll find the waves are still 100 feet tall, but they come further apart. When they come, they still crash all over you and wipe you out. But in between, you can breathe, you can function. You never know what's going to trigger the grief. It might be a song, a picture, a street intersection, the smell of a cup of coffee. It can be just about anything...and the wave comes crashing. But in between waves, there is life.

Somewhere down the line, and it's different for everybody, you find that the waves are only 80 feet tall. Or 50 feet tall. And while they still come, they come further apart. You can see them coming. An anniversary, a birthday, or Christmas, or landing at O'Hare. You can see it coming, for the most part, and prepare yourself. And when it washes over you, you know that somehow you will, again, come out the other side. Soaking wet, sputtering, still hanging on to some tiny piece of the wreckage, but you'll come out.

Take it from an old guy. The waves never stop coming, and somehow you don't really want them to. But you learn that you'll survive them. And other waves will come. And you'll survive them too.

If you're lucky, you'll have lots of scars from lots of loves. And lots of shipwrecks."

morbid question but

licorice's picture

why not just have teh K woman executed?

Well that depends on the laws of course

But as bad as she is, I doubt her transgressions rate having her life taken away.

But, she needs to pay the bill, no doubt.

Executions.

Thanks for your comment. I much appreciate that you have donated some of your time to do so.

Execute her? Well, this IS a harsh society, as Keren has explained to Garia from time to time. But the 'justice' system is based upon making good the damages done, wherever possible. So Konna will need to work to pay off her debts and her fines ....

Harsh terms may appear, and her life to achieve those terms might become harsh, but to just snuff her out brings little back to those who have been wronged.

And Bleskin is not, in my opinion, a wanton taker of life.

We shall see.

Quite soon as it happens!

All the best

Julia.