Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2716

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2716
by Angharad

Copyright© 2015 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
@@@@@

“I should read it should I?”

“Yeah, it’s good.”

“It was addressed to you, was it?”

She went red enough to almost pass for a pillar box, “I can’t remember,” she lied.

“I can. I ordered that book a week ago from an online bookshop. The jiffy bag it came in, addressed to me is torn open and lying in the hall.”

“Yeah, I saw that, the book was lying next to it, maybe Lizzie found it.”

“I doubt Lizzie or Cate would have the strength to open a padded envelope.”

“Yeah they would, they’ve got strong fingers.” She was still like an irradiated tomato, giving off enough heat to make toast had I had some bread handy.

“I think you’re fibbing. I think you were miffed at me because I picked you up on your English, saw the padded envelope on the hall table with my name on it, and opened it—thinking to steal what was in it, to get back at me.”

“No, Mummy, it was open in the hall.” She got redder and I began to worry if she had any blood apart from that perfusing her skin.

“I think you saw what it was and decided to have look at it, which is why you’re up here not with the others, because they’d be asking you what you were reading.”

“No, Mummy, I didn’t...” tears were now flowing over her cheeks.

“And now you’re fibbing, trying to pass the blame onto your younger sisters.”

“I didn’t, Mummy...” she sobbed.

“I’m going to take my book,” I reached down and she released it to me; “then I’m going to let you reflect upon your actions—that is, opening a package clearly not addressed to you, taking the contents without permission and then telling lies to try and blame your younger sisters. When you’re ready to come and tell me the truth, I’ll be downstairs. You can stay here until you decide.” I walked away and shut the door of the girls’ room.

Back in my study, I placed the book on my ‘new books’ bookshelf, went and made a cuppa and returned to my desk, restarted my computer and tried to settle to do some emails and look at new records for the mammal survey. Some were interesting, water voles at Arne RSPB reserve, on the edge of Poole harbour. How come they hadn’t sent one before, these are semi professionals and keep records of all sorts of things. I might go and see them, it’s ages since I visited there and then I was bird watching and being addressed alternately as ‘mate’ or ‘luv’. I was sixteen and had trained it to Wareham and then camped nearby, with my mountain bike loaded with tent, sleeping bag and changes of clothes, plus enough food and drink for a day.

It’s four or five miles from the station to the reserve as I recall it and I had to cycle into Wareham and phone home to say I was okay. That meant a nine or ten mile ride before I could get birding. Except, I’d be up early and do a walk round the reserve about six in the morning then ride to Wareham and phone home. Usually my mother answered but the second morning it was my dad. As I was about to speak to him someone tapped the phone box and asked if I’d be long, I just said to my dad, “Just a second,” as I dealt with my intruder.

I heard him say, “It’s some girl on the phone, here you deal with it.” I returned to my call and my mother and I chuckled at him not recognising my voice, mind you I rarely talked to him on the phone, which does tend to exaggerate pitch and accent, not that I had much of the latter. After our laugh, Mum said, “So that pleased you then.”

“What d’you mean?” I squeaked.

“You know exactly what I mean, Charlie or is it Charlotte, like the hairdresser calls you?”

I was saved by the pips, “Gotta go, Mum, the money’s running out.”

The door of the phone box was tapped again, “C’mon, luv, I need to call someone.” I picked up the purse I used to keep my money in—one that opened with a sort of top that acted as a tray for coins, with a pocket for notes—shoved it in my small drawstring bag and surrendered the phone booth.

Thinking about this incident again, I thought—they knew what I was and what I wanted to be, why did they play it so dumb? Were they trying to protect me or themselves from embarrassment. I was sixteen and still singing soprano/treble, I had no hair on my face or body, except my groin and that wasn’t much. I was small and relatively dainty which was why I was such a target to the bullies. I was a fifth former and looked and sounded like a second or third year pupil. I was very different and paid for it. Unless I’m misremembering, which is possible, I was fortunate to have enough mental strength to deal with it, many others might not have been so fortunate.

I shuddered for a moment—successful transgender folk are usually quite strong mentally, especially as many seem to have been abused in so many ways, often by those they trusted and who betrayed that trust thereby effectively abusing them twice. When that’s sexual abuse which is all about power, it’s even worse. I felt disappointed by my parents’ response when it became obvious that I should have been female in their eyes as well as my own—they’d let me down. I was determined I wouldn’t do that to my children, no matter what.

I was aware I wasn’t alone as I returned to the present from my reverie. I looked round and Trish was standing just inside the door. “Come in and shut the door,” I instructed her, “unless you want everyone to hear us?” She shook her head and gently closed the door until the lock clicked. “What have you decided?” I half expected some sort of legal challenge she’d read about on her iPad or some spiel on Habeus corpus, it didn’t happen.

“You were right, Mummy, I was a naughty girl.”

“I see. I’m not as dumb as you sometimes think, am I?”

“I never think you’re dumb, Mummy, just a bit slow sometimes.”

“So you were naughty, what shall we do about it?”

Blushing like a stop light she said, “I suppose it’s too late to say I’d like to come with you to Brighton?”

“Hang about, we were discussing opening my mail, stealing the contents and telling lies and you then try to deflect the conversation to my talk in Sussex.”

“I didn’t mean to, Mummy. I am sorry I did all those things, especially as I’m now ten years old and apparently of an age when I’m supposed to differentiate between right and wrong and between honesty and lies. I failed you, Mummy and was prepared to come to Brighton as a punishment.”

“You what?” I gasped. An hour ago she was coming as a treat, now it’s a punishment.

“Well seeing as you didn’t really want me there in the first place, I thought just being there would be like a punishment.”

What do I do with this child, aged ten and running rings round me. Act unimpressed or she’ll really start doing it. “I can certainly make it a punishment.”

“Uh—no, being unwanted is enough, Mummy.”

“Don’t you ever suggest you’re unwanted. Now clear off before put you through the shredder.”

“Eek,” she squealed and high tailed it out the door. I sat there shaking my head, ten years old and she’d out manoeuvred me again. She’ll have to go.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
256 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

False memory syndrome

Rhona McCloud's picture

We all get caught out by our memories and I relate to Cathy's confusion over how others saw her when young. Add a manipulative Tris to the memory recipe and and Cathy's flabber will be utterly gasted!

Rhona McCloud

Still think Cathy should take Trish with her

Maybe even make her part of the act. There is still a little bit of insecurity in Trish and Cathy if anyone should understand that.

Unwanted

I know that bit quite well and I expect that others do also. It is a wound that is almost impossible to heal.

Gwen

Re: Unwanted

When I learned, about a month after I had told off my adoptive father in the summer of '80, that they were starting the paperwork to have me returned to the Children's Aid Society, I went into a bit of a fugue state, and was moderately depressed for the rest of my time there.

To realize that, simply because I stood my ground against him, that I was being discarded like rubbish, hurt like all bloody hell. It wasn't helped by the fact that I spent the remainder of my time there permanently grounded to my room, allowed no freedom whatsoever. The only time I was allowed out on my own was to go to school, I was expected to return home immediately after school ended each day.

Until that time, I had loved my adoptive parents, trusted and respected them, even with the physical abuse from my adoptive father, but after that, my love, trust and respect were brutally broken. In a way, I'm not all that surprised at the fact that I was male to male raped in the group home once I was there, I was so depressed due to what I had found out and to what was approaching (my removal from the adoption and being sent to the group home), I just didn't care about anything else, which also contributed to the difficulty and effort required to help me stabilize again after the rapes.

Since then, I've still trusted people, but I've been more likely to remove myself from those who broke my trust; I rarely give people more than one chance nowadays, I just don't feel it is worth the effort, if they break it once, they would likely do so again.

If that means I have to live alone for the rest of my life, I can handle that, as I've always been a bit of a loner. *shrugs*

Brer rabbit and the Briar Patch.

Sneaky, sneaky, manipulative Trish. She has more twists and turns than the switchbacks of Utah.

knowing what I've missed

Dahlia's picture

When I read this story Angharad, I realize what I missed out on by never having children. A voluntary choice with life consequences always lingering. I know that children can be frustrating and a trial at times but the joy, astonishing brilliance outright marvel they can provide I'll never know.

Thanks for allowing me to enjoy reading about some of this in Cathy's life.

Dahlia

Arne

A large and lovely reserve I have only visited three times in my life. And the first was only to the church there.

Cathy will have

to watch Trish , We already know how brainy Trish is , That's been proved many times , But if the little minx gets any more devious in her manipulations Cathy may well find she is losing more battles than she is winning .... Lets just hope that Cathys other younger daughters don't follow their elder sisters lead ...

Kirri

Surviving abuse.

I shuddered for a moment—successful transgender folk are usually quite strong mentally, especially as many seem to have been abused in so many ways, often by those they trusted and who betrayed that trust thereby effectively abusing them twice. When that’s sexual abuse which is all about power, it’s even worse.

I'm not at all sure I could be classed as a successful transsexual but the start of that particular paragraph spoke volumes to me.
Sorry I've not been commentating lately Ang, lots of stuff going on in RL.

Bev.

bev_1.jpg

Re: Surviving abuse

I agree with your first comment after the paragraph in bold type, Bev, but with one exception, the whole paragraph spoke to me.

I'm not a successful transsexual, nor am I likely to be, but I am strong in a mental sense, although I have been bipolar for many years, primarily depressive. I haven't touched ANY form of psych meds for the last seventeen years, I have coped completely on my own. The weird part about that is that I had more crises when I was taking meds than I have had since I stopped the meds.

Abuse of all kinds I know about all too well, sexual being just one of many in my life; see my remarks in the response I posted a few minutes ago here to Gwen's comment. I also agree regarding abuse being about power, even sexual, but in many cases, abuse is also about fear, fear that someone is smarter, prettier/handsomer, better at something, etc., etc.

As stated in my response to Gwen's comment, I don't trust people as much nowadays, nor give them extra opportunities to abuse or betray me, I find it much easier to just drop them cold and get on with my life.