Caught in the Act – 15 Two Steps Forward, One Back

Printer-friendly version


Caught in the Act – 15
Two Steps Forward, One Back


By Jessica C


Things started with Jeff caught dressing in his sister’s clothes and makeup…
His sister's took the opportunity to showing Jessie how to dress and so her makeup...
It took a while for Jeff to accept Jessie is really him, to accept Jeff and Jessie co-existed…


^..^~

Saturday evening when Grandma and Grandpa Stephens came over Grandma had a message that Jessie was to call Darla Jacobs. It was soon agreed upon that Sunday Jessie was going to have the help of her girlfriends to model her clothes. Darla said, “You do pretty well for a tomboy, we want to help you see the possibilities you have with your wardrobe for when you begin buying new clothes.”

It was Sunday after dinner that the girls began to come over. Grandma Stephens came over bring Darla Jacobs. There continue to be girls like Darla and Tami that I have feelings for and it is hard to tell if it is as a boy or girl. And now there is the addition with Amy Schmidt who seems attracted to me. Again I’m not sure if it is Jessie or Jeff whom she is attracted to or if she just wants to be a friend.

Darla sees me looking at her now and again, and while we’re alone she reminds me, “While my brother Matt is interested in you, we’re just close friends.”

When I begin to say, “So that means in the future…”

Darla interrupts me talking, “Let me make it clear I just want to be a close friend, always friends!” She sits down in my room, “Why don’t you try one of the combinations that you say would be new to you.”

I picked up a hanger with a blouse I liked and said, “I’d like to try this blouse it looks good and I see some leggings but what am I to wear with it?” Darla hooted, “Nice choice, the skirt is attached to the hanger underneath the blouse.” And so it was and I like how it looks but it would be the shortest knit mini-skirt in neon pink. While it was not as loud as some I’ve seen. I was sure it would take a special girl to pull off wearing it and I told Darla so.

She said, “Go behind the screen and change into it. I think you’ll be surprised how well it will look on you.” There was a knock on my door as I was changing. Tami, April, Jayne, and Amy had arrived and Mom sent them up to my room.

I was getting more nervous as it was hard to dress behind the screen without showing myself to someone. Everyone except Darla was surprised that I would wear such small outfit. The narrow straps of the blouse made me glad my breast forms had properly been put on. They were giving me cleavage that was showing.

Tami cutely jokes, “I think the makeup job on your boobs is very good, it all looks like you.” Jayne pushed my vanity chair to me, saying, “Now let’s see you sit in that outfit.” Without thinking I stepped over to the chair, swept the little piece of skirt underneath me. Sat keeping my legs and knees together, while bringing my hands together on my lap. I even crossed my legs nicely at my ankles.

“Wow,” Jayne said with a joyful spirit, “You are more girl than I knew.” You need to wear that outfit later when we go for pizza.” Tami said, “I like that idea, but now I want her to try on one of you long skirt outfits. How about the pretty one you might wear for an evening dinner.” Jessie had to look her three choices over. There was a very nice long black skirt with it I chose a sparkly silver shell with a predominately red print blouse that could be left open or nicely buttoned. It looked more like a woman’s jacket the way I wore it. This time I had to change many times alternating which shell and blouse I wore. The last time I changed, Tami stepped behind the screen and unbuttoned the bottom of my skirt up to mid-thigh and asked me to turn my skirt so the split of the skirt came up my left leg. She said, “Now go look in the mirror and see how it transforms your look after you leave the house… If you diet and take care of your figure properly, you can wear this skirt and look good in this the next three years or so.”

There were hoots and whistles as I stepped from behind the screen. I wasn’t paying attention to them as much as the image I was seeing in the mirror. Darla smiles and says this is as sexy as the short mini skirt with the exception that this has the viewer imagining more than one sees.” I mouthed my agreement. I had spent a full hour trying on things with this long skirt and I’m amazed by how many different looks it creates.

Darla moves behind me, placing her hands on my hips as I’m looking into the mirror. “Do you see how your hips and waist have changed the past month? I’m pretty sure your waist has gotten at least two inches smaller and your hips have probably grown at least an inch. What are you taking to do this, I need some?”

Rachel had come into the room over ten minutes ago. She says to Darla, “If it’s the testosterone blocker it might not help you as much.” Everyone breaks out roaring in laughter. Unfortunately, it doesn’t hit me as funny but a reminder that to most I’m probably not a real girl. I head to the bathroom trying to hold back my tears until I get there. I locked the door behind me, Rachel had gone back to her room and came into our adjoining bathroom from there.

“I am sorry little sister, did what I said, hurt?” Rachel is now hugging me as I try to step back.

I ask, “If you knew it hurt, why did you say it?”

She says, “I didn’t know it would, you are usually joking. And I addressed it to Darla any way.”

Through my tears I struggled to say, “It emphasized to me that I’m not a real girl, it was cruel.”

Rachel gasped and was now crying herself, “I would never try to hurt you like that. I am so proud of you. You’re my sister through and through, I love you so much. I’m sorry, I’m sorry,” she says.

Once, it is obvious, outside the bathroom, that Rachel too is crying her friend Heather goes around through Rach’s room to comfort us both. She reminded us, “Hey you’re sisters, you might as well get used to it there’s no one closer and no one more sensitive to what you say or do. Brothers can annoy you as much but sisters love differently. Jessie, you need to discover your sister in a new way with you being sisters.”

It is five o’clock and all us girls are going out for pizza, so I take the time to visit with my parents and grandma. Rachel and I promise to get Darla home afterward.

^..^~

Mom shook her head at me when I left the house in the short pink mini-skirt. She had me wear a shirt jacket that reached down further than the skirt. “I know it is coming off at the pizza place but please wear it going and coming home to amuse your mother.”

Amy Schmidt and I were coming out of the women’s restroom at the pizzeria when I asked her, “I’m glad you’re with us, and I like becoming friends, but can I ask why you seem to like me as you do?”

Amy smiles back at me and pauses, “It was over two years ago when you were in fifth grade that I noticed makeup on you. I thought it was funny yet cute. A second time I saw you with some eye shadow you missed and ever since I’ve been waiting to see you fully as a girl. I kind of fell for you as Jeff though you didn’t notice me. I’m not sure what my feelings are other than I want to be your friend.”

I asked, “Did any of your other friends notice and say anything?”

She said as we got to the table, “I know my friend Sally O’Brien realized it, but she has since moved away. I talked to my mother a couple of times, especially whenever Aunt Jamie was mentioned.”

More than one girl that was in our group or others around us, remarked about the shortness of my skirt. Remembering Sharon Miller’s statement the other day about dressing sensibly as a girl; I determined in my thoughts I’m not going to wear it very often. I did appreciate that others noted I made an effort about how I sat and moved around in it. I didn’t mind when they said boys will find my look hot.

It was just nice to be out with other girls, having a good time. We were there an hour and a half and I didn’t eat two full pieces of pizza though it was very good. Amy, Jayne and Stacy team-up against me and I agree to go with them to ballet practice this coming Thursday.

Tami says, “We already bought a pair of leggings that she plans to wear to the first practice.”

Jayne giggles, “You mean she already decided she is coming?” Jayne is hugging me before Tami explains further.

Tami says, “We got her to choose a pair of leggings and then informed her that pair is for ballet. The decision to try it is really based on what you said about helping her in becoming a girl.”

“Jayne, I will be very tempted, more than once to bow out or quit. Please don’t get upset with me this is kind of scary.” Amy and Stacy are quickly over to give me hugs, their enthusiasm engulfs me as I begin to feel ‘giddy’ inside. ‘I’ve never understood this when I saw it happen to a girl, even when I tried to imagine it for me.’

I turn to Tami, “There are some feelings a girl can’t explain to a boy nor could you have understood it before.” Tami smiles, “You’re excited about trying to be a ballerina aren’t you?”

How could she have read my mind so quickly? I asked her and she said, “You’re wearing your feelings on your sleeve. Jessie, you are a very smart person but don’t try to rationalize your feelings. Relax and enjoy what your heart is feeling.”

We left the pizza place and gathered at Tami’s house. Amy wanted to brush out my hair, while Jayne wanted to know what I was wearing to school. The other girls know their clothes wardrobe so well most can go through them in their mind.

I can think of what I have, but my thoughts aren’t organized and when I suggest something Tami or April say the shades of color don’t go together. Finally, some girls leave as Tami, Amy, Darla and I go back to my house. Mom allows the girls to my room with me. We not only pick out a cute but safe skirt-blouse outfit for tomorrow. We picked out another outfit for Tuesday and a dress with a full skirt for Wednesday.

By now it is past time to get Darla home. We take Tami home first, Amy next and Darla last. Mr. and Mrs. Jacobs are waiting for Darla at the door, so I walked her to the door and apologized for having her back late. “We are glad she text us. We came out not only to see her but to say we’re glad you’re still friends. We want you to know that you are welcome here.”

I looked past them to see if Matt was around and looking to see me. Mrs. Jacobs said, “Give him time; I think you’ll hear from him.” I was embarrassed as I walked back to the car.

On our way back Rachel said, “I see you have feelings for both Matt and Amy?”

Instead of saying yes or no, I say, “What makes you say that?”

Rach says, “You wanted to walk Amy up to her door, and you were tempted to kiss her but you didn’t. I could see she wants to be more than just a friend to you. Matt is the one who surprises me. I didn’t think you’d be getting excited about boys this fast… Matt’s a good looking guy, I’d have thought he’d have a girlfriend or two.”

“Sis, how do you know these things? It wasn’t exactly what I was thinking, but close enough.”

Rach says, “We’re sisters with my little brother thrown in. I just want you to know your thoughts and feeling aren’t that different from what mine would be.”

^..^~

Monday, Mom comes to wake me up to get ready for school but I’m already in the bathroom showering. There is a small gift on top of the outfit I’m going to wear. It’s a delicate chain necklace with a heart and there is a matching bracelet. When I go for breakfast I see Rachel has a set much like mine. Mom says, “It is nice to have something that says you’re sisters.”

Dad comes into the kitchen and asks, “We’re thinking of moving you, Jessie permanently down to the guest room, next to your sister. That would mean you would share a bathroom. What do you two think of that?”

Rachel speaks up, “It will be okay if she’s Jessie, but I don’t want to go in fixing my makeup and find I’m sharing it with Jeff. Have you seen how he and Rob keep their bathroom?” Dad laughed and Mom said, "It’s not funny I have to share a bathroom with someone like that!”

Dad continues to laugh, “You must admit I’ve improved?”

“Some yes, but I don’t think Rachel wants to wait twenty years for Jessie to get better than Jeff.” She says, “Enough chatter, for now, the girls are not done in getting ready for school.”

Mom was right, there is more to do as Jessie but I love it. Rachel and Mom usually enjoy having me around. Not so much when it takes more time for me to learn something, i.e. curling my hair.

I went over to Tami’s house to walk with her to school. We met April and Andy in front of April’s house. Andy said he had his phone on speed dial for the ‘Sixpack’; I didn’t think it was needed but I haven’t used Jeff’s voice since Friday or Saturday. Mr. Hawk, a teacher would insist I use Jeff’s voice, but other students laughed when I had trouble.

^..^~

We had made it to school and were ready to cross the street when I heard Simon Graft’s voice asking me to look up. I raised my purse in time to deflect a water balloon. It was obvious in minutes that the balloon had some dye in it. Luckily Tami had taken a series of pictures showing Simon throwing the balloon. A girl at the school took a video from across the street, showing it was Simon’s brother Jarett driving the car.

The Grafts owned a hardware/paint store in town; they were pretty well-liked and did much for the school. So when I reported the incident I didn’t think much would be done. Mr. Lawrence almost fulfilled my thought. He tried to make excuses why Tami’s picture might not be reliable. The girl’s video didn’t actually show Simon throwing the water balloon.

I was called back to the office during the fourth-period class, and Mrs. Graft was there. She says, “My husband and I didn’t think it was right for you to come to school dressed as a girl. I am sorry but I guess my boys took that to mean it was alright for them to do what they did. My husband and I agree they should be punished, though I rather they not be suspended. We’re also wanting to pay for your purse and damaged clothing to be replaced.”

I say, “My purse is in my locker as I’m afraid the dye might rub off onto other things. Other than that I only have a little bit on my skirt, hose, and shoes. I’m not sure if it might wash out. I know, I could use the skirt just around the house for chores or something.”

Mrs. Graft giggles ever so slightly, “You’re adorable, but no girl likes to wear damaged clothes. Your nice shoes alone could cost sixty dollars.”

“Mrs. Graft, I’m just happy that you’re not angry with me and are trying to make it right. I like your store and I was afraid this meant I wouldn’t be welcome there anymore. I’m afraid there will be a division in our town with people who don’t like or agree with me and those who do.”

“Well,” Mrs. Grafton says, “I don’t want to be an excuse for that type of thinking either. Please let me pick you up after school and take you and a friend shopping to replace the things that are damaged. Then we can go over to our store and I'll buy some decorations or candles for your room?” I hesitate but I knew by Mrs. Graft’s “Please” that it would be good to say yes."

I stepped forward to give her a hug as I said yes. I know she was caught off guard by my hug. But I was happy about her response, “Thank you, I’d like to be your friend and for us to be able to talk openly about our differences. I am impressed with you.”

The Vice-Principal Ms. Hope interrupted us. “I am glad you agreed to get together after school. I feel the need to get Jessie back to class. I thank Mrs. Graft for being open about her sons. I think what the schools would like to do is to require Simon and Jarett for this week and during final exams to be at school an hour early for detention and to help the custodians for a half-hour when school lets out at the end of the school day. They also revoke Jarett’s driving privileges for school for the remainder of this school year.

^..^~

The next to last class of the day, I’m called back down to the office and again it is Vice-Principal Hope whom I’m to see. Tami is already there as she too was called to the office. Ms. Hope started with, “Did you forget something today, Jessie? …You said you’d go with Mrs. Graft shopping after school. Luckily she called your mother who said you have a doctor’s appointment.”

“Ugh, I forgot! What am I to do?”

“Your Mother is ahead of you,” says Ms. Hope. “Tami, you are excused fifteen minutes before three with Jessie to go with her to her Doctor’s appointment. Mrs. Graft is going to meet you there. After your appointment your mother said the four of you will shop for the things needed, eat and then end your time together at Graft’s Hardware and Home.”

I agreed to do it but I wasn’t happy about Tami or Mrs. Graft seeing me at my GYN doctor.

Tami guessed my concern as we left the office, “Don’t worry Jessie, we’re all women we’ll understand.” But she knew Mrs. Graft didn’t see me being a girl as okay. Tami smiled, “This will tell Mrs. Graft that your decision isn’t all sweet and nice. She understands about you going to your appointment.”

‘How can I tell my Mom or Tami how it feels for me, I'm not used to going to a GYN doctor. I love becoming a girl, but I want to decide who I share the journey with.’ “Tami this is personal for me. I’ll be embarrassed if she’s there.”

Tami asks, “Are you going to be embarrassed that I’m there?” I paused too long to answer, she starts to giggle, “I’m losing my Jeff ‘Barbie Doll’ and you’re embarrassed. What of? I’ve already given you makeup and fashion lessons. I’m not going to share your hormone meds.”

Luckily we’re back to class and the discussion ends. Today I have more girls wanting to become friends. Asking me questions about when I knew I wanted to be a girl. A friend Annie sought a time to talk to me alone. “You knew when we were friends in second grade, do you remember? There were times we were the best of friends. Other times you treated me and other girls like a dumb boy who didn’t like girls. I saw boys tease you once about playing with girls.”

Annie had moved away and I hadn’t realized she had moved back and was now a year ahead of me in school. She gave me a slip of paper with her phone and email information. On the backside, it said, “Tami probably thinks she’s the first girl to dress you up.” What Annie didn’t know was she was not the only girl to do so.

Sixteen minutes before three o’clock Tami and I were heading out the school doors looking for a ride from my mother. Tami grabbed me as we stepped outside and twirled me around with her. “You first full day Jessie, you are so much a girl.”

^..^~

Mom said, “Why don’t you two get in the back, we’re picking up Mrs. Graft and taking her so we don’t have two cars someplace.”

“Mrs. Preston, Jessie’s embarrassed to have Mrs. Graft and me go with her to her doctor’s appointment.”

“We could take her home and let her dress as Jeff to go. Seriously, Mrs. Graft is wanting to go a second mile to be nice, I couldn’t easily say she couldn’t come with us. Well, I could of but I thought as a girl you’d be excited about getting new clothes.” Mom giggled and then said, “I thought Jessie would even want her to go back in the exam room with her.”

I moan, “Mom that’s not funny.”

We’ve pulled up to the Graft Hardware and Home store and Mrs. Graft is getting in. She asks, “What’s not so funny?” Then she asks, “What kind of a doctor are you seeing today?” That was enough to get us all laughing, including Mrs. Graft though she didn’t understand what we were laughing at. Mom finally told her “She’s seeing Dr. Stoults,”

Mrs. Graft mumbles, “But, she’s a gynecologist.” And then she blushes as she looks back to say hello. She again speaks, “I am so sorry Jessie about what our boys did. I know this doesn’t make up for things, but I’m glad you’ll let me make some amends. Mostly I’m glad to have the chance to get to know you. I use to be more open-minded.”

“I remember when Jeff would come into our store and you like looking at things, well things that weren’t very boyish. You would say you’re thinking about something for your mother or your big sister. I thought you’d make a pretty girl.”

Tami nudges Jessie and gives her a small gift. Surprised Jessie asks, “What is this for?”

Tami, “Open it and you’ll find out.” Jessie does and it is a ring but it is too small for her ring finger. She thinks it is the wrong size and appears disappointed. Tami takes the ring and places it on Jessie pinkie finger. “It’s a friendship ring. I love you Jessie and I want you for a forever friend.” She gives Jessie a kiss on the lips and there is passion from both though it lasts but a few seconds.

Jessie looked up and could see her Mom’s eyes and face in the rearview mirror. She could tell her Mom was happy for her.

Marlene Graft says, “I had a special girlfriend like that. She went to the same school as your Mom. Her name was Amber and I finally broke it off because so many convinced me it wasn’t right.”

Tami says, “I can’t say I see Jessie as my girlfriend romantically, but then I won’t say no either.”

Mom reminds everyone, mostly for Mrs. Graft, “Being here is confidential. There is a dinner within walking distance if you cannot do that.”

^..^~

Jessie is soon called back by a new nurse Diane. She says, “Dr. Stouts and her partner Dr. Lil have hired me to work with them and patients like yourself and more. I can better help monitor any changes you have and to provide support and information.”

I smile as Diane seems both warm and trained with issues that I likely will experience. I tell her I went to school as Jessie today. She smiles and says “Good for you.” She even notices my new friendship ring. “That is nice that you have an admirer who wants to be a friend most of all. You know Dr. Stoults want you to both come in touch with being Jessie, but wants to take enough time so we’re all sure this is a healthy direction for you?”

Dr. Stoults has Diane washed and shaved the area between my legs. Mom is called back to the exam room to give consent for the procedure of hiding my male genitalia. I thought the terms were funny. Presently the area was being glued to make me look more like a girl. Even if I dressed as Jeff I would now have to always sit to use the toilet. Nurse Diane talked to me about the need to keep myself clean. It was embarrassing to have her show me what I needed to do. More embarrassing was the fact she showed my mother how to examine me to make sure I did a good job.

Thankfully the reason my appointment took so long was not visually evident when we went back out to join Marlene and Tami. Before we reached them I asked, “Mom do you know who Amber was that she talked about.”

She quickly answered, “We won’t talk about that here.”

Mrs. Graft had us go to Von Maur’s it’s a more upscale department store, the one where Suzie Hammonds works at. Closely examining the skirts and blouses one saw evidence of why things cost more. The skirts we nicely lined and only the lesser expensive clothing had any appreciable amount of polyester. There was a full skirt with a print similar to my skirt, but the print was sharper and had more subtle shades of color. Even on sale, it cost fifty-four dollars. Tami helped to pick out two blouses that went beautifully with it.

“Mom, can we buy one of them?”

Mrs. Graft heard me asking and said, “No need, young lady. I would like you to try on a nice bra and panty set when you try things on.”

Mom quickly spoke up, “Marlene, This is not needed; I know you are feeling guilty because of the boys. This, however, is too much. I am more than happy to buy some of what she likes.”

Suzie Hammonds has seen us and came over to help. “Hi Jessie, hi Tami.” When she recognized Mrs. Graft she became quiet until Mom and Mrs. Graft said hello to her.

Mrs. Graft says, “I can see by your expression word has gotten around about what my boys had done!”

“I’m sorry Mrs. Graft, but yes. I know you’re a better person than that.”

“Truthfully Miss Hammonds, I’m afraid my own words came back to bite me in their actions.” Mrs. Graft forces out a small smile, “At least I am glad to have the opportunity to know this young butterfly who is emerging. I hope it will change things for your brother Johnny as well.”

Suzie turns her attention to my shopping, “So are you ready to try on some clothes. It looks like you have made some nice selections.”

Jessie speaks up, “I’m to pick out a nice bra and panty set before I try them on.”

Suzie says, “I can help with that but we need to measure you to make sure they’ll fit properly. I can’t put them back after you try them on.” We select a peach panty and bra set. I can feel the difference in the panty, but not much difference with the bra.

Suzie whispers, “As you mature as a girl hopefully you’ll get to experience how nice the bra is as well… Bree, um Johnny wants to thank you; our parents have allowed her to begin transitioning. When you go to your doctor the next time you will meet a new nurse, Diane.”

I interrupt, “I met her this afternoon.” Suzie replies, “Bree had a similar smile when she came home from her visit.”

When I come out to show the first blouse with the skirt; I see two pairs of shoes waiting for me to try on as I model my outfit. There is a two and a half inch pump, I check the size and then smile as Tami and Mom, quickly knowing one of them selected it. I couldn’t believe here I was trying a pretty outfit and mauve colored shoes to go with it. I felt like a little girl getting the chance to be a princess. I stepped in front of a three-sided mirror. I turned this way and that and kept admiring how everything looked.

Tami giggles as she asks, “Are you going to admire yourself all day? You do know there’s some more shopping as well as going to dinner.” Mom hands me another skirt and blouse to try on and wear if it fits properly.

She says, “This outfit is much too pretty to wear to dinner and chance a mess.” The outfit Mom has handed me is pretty and it does fit, but she is right about the first outfit. The second pair of shoes were flats that would go with most outfits in my growing wardrobe.

Mom had given me a new pair of stockings that hugs the top of my legs. I so love this kind.

We go to eat and my Mom encourages me to order deviled crab cakes. It is something I had never eaten before and Jeff wouldn’t have, but I find that I enjoy it very well. Tami had ordered her familiar shrimp Alfredo and we each give the other a good taste of what we were eating. Tami enjoyed the deviled crab something she had not previously tried.

Mom and Marlene each ordered lobster tail as Mom was paying and wanted the day to end in celebration. The waitress was nice enough to take a picture of the four of us. It would soon be on our social networks. Hopefully to dampen the bad news of the day.

The last stop of the day was back at Graft’s store. We picked out some paint to repaint my new bedroom next to Rachel. I was moving to the old guestroom which was being moved up to my old room. I checked through a catalog to order new curtains and a bedspread that went along with it as well as the hardware to hang the curtains on. Mom and Marlene got in a friendly but heated discussion about who was paying how much. Mom had ordered and paid for a curtain and bedspread set for Tami.

^..^~


Mom and I picked up my stronger prescriptions at the pharmacy before we drove home. I was putting my new clothes away as Mom came to my bedroom and gave me an extra warm hug with tears in her eyes. “Thanks, Mom, but why are you hugging me? I’m the one who needs to thank you.”

She said, “I’ve listened to only a few of the encouraging messages on our answering machine. It reminded me my new daughter is here and I am so proud of you.”

Rachel says, “I should get a hug too, without me transforming my little brother who knows if or when we would have found her.” I could tell that my sister slid her hand down the side of my hips in an unusual fashion. I wasn’t fully surprised when she spoke up, “Jennifer called me and informed me Mrs. Graft bought you some very nice clothes including a special bra and panty set. Would you mind slipping off your skirt so I can see?”

I eagerly did as she asked and went to my closet to show her my new outfit. I was happily showing Rachel as her expression turned sad and to tears. “I’m sorry, it must have been horrifying what you went through.”

All of a sudden I became gripped with fear, my legs became weak and I went to the floor crying. I cried uncontrollably for at least twenty minutes. Rachel and then Mom hugged me, encouraging me to cry it out. I cried all the more, finally asking, “Mom why am I crying?”

She said, “This is what I expected earlier, I guess you were in shock and denial. I think Mrs. Graft’s help allowed you to know you were now safe. But it doesn’t take away what had happened. There are still ugly people out there that is what scares me. “

Rachel asked, “Were any of the messages ugly?” Mom tried to hold her composure but her wide eyes filled with tears said yes.

I asked, “What did they say?”

Mom would only say, “Your father and I will go through the messages. You will be able to see those that will be good for you to see.”

“That better mean some who disagree with what I’m doing? Have you hidden others from me as well?”

Mom quickly gets upset with me, “Hold it right there… young woman, don’t get an attitude with me.” Mom was right I was upset and disrespectful, but I knew friends who were a lot worse with their parents.

“I’m sorry, but had there been previous calls that were mean spirited or hateful,” I asked?

Mom paused, and Rachel spoke up, “Mom, you told me if he found out you’d tell him about them.”

Mom was now defensive and got upset with Rachel. “Rachel I know what I said!”

I suspect there was more and I had wondered at times if I was being watched. “Mom and Rachel have you and others been protecting me. Is that why I was able to go to Riviera Maya?”

They were both very quiet until Mom opened the door and called for my Dad and Rob. “Honey, please get Rob and come into the room here.”

I was again nervous and a bit shook as Dad and Rob came and sat in the room. Mom says, “Jessie is shaken not only by what happened to her today at school, but she has guessed there have been some hateful things said. She has also asked about what we have done to protect or shield her.”

Rob says, “It’s been kind of neat, the stuff a big brother should do for his kid sister. Jacob and I didn’t mind, only once do I think we discouraged someone from doing something stupid.”

Rachel says, “Most of it was if some of Danny’s friends or of mine saw you they would just check and make sure no one was going to bother you.”

I said, “I saw one of your friends get into a fight, was that about me?” Rachel looked down and said, “I’m not sure when was that? I would have to ask.” Her looking down told us both that it was.

I was shaking as my Dad put his arms around me. “Dad I made a decision on my future today and now I find out there are things I didn’t know.”

Dad says, “You made your decision on good information. I don’t think that has changed. I’m sorry, I was the chief one that thought you didn’t need to know. There are some people who think badly about what we’re letting you do. Yes, we have done something to protect or shield you from some of it. We’re not going to share it tonight, except to say we’re hopeful but not sure it’s mostly over.”

“I heard the School Board agreed tonight that you can finish the school year dressing as Jessie, but it will be Jeff on your records until the next school year. If you decide to go as Jessie next year, which I told them you most likely would, they’ll update your records then.”

“Pastor Bernard from Shepherd’s Baptist Church called us and said, ‘He disagrees with what we’re doing but he will be at school in the morning supporting your right to be there. He said Christian love is not mean spirited.’ I am pretty sure Mrs. Grafton and others are supporting you or the idea of respectfully disagreeing. You already know you have many supporters.”

It was 9:30 p.m., our discussion was done and I had taken my shower that I got ready for bed. The only school work I’ll work on was my report about ‘Molly Pitcher and nine other women we had studied about and I look up too.’ It was kind of neat that Ms. Briggs insisted I do this homework. If I hadn’t, I would not have thought about what they did as being part of my story…

To be continued…

up
191 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

It is good that Jessie now

It is good that Jessie now looks like a girl "down there" now. If someone tries to get really "funny" with her in a mean and vicious way, and rips her clothes off; they are going to have a lot of explaining to do both to the school administration and the police, for an assault on a female.

Jessie is all girl now

Renee_Heart2's picture

I don't blame her for braking down & crying yes EVEN CHRISTIAN people are mean not all but enough. People are & can be crule it's one thing to disagree with something but it's another when you voice it to others & others take what you say to extremes that hurts even worse.

I'm glad Jessie got 2 new outfits & maybe another friend out of the deal as time goes on I'm sure those who disagree will come around to Jessie's side & accept her as any other girl.

As for what Rachel said it was a poor choice of jokes as it hit Jessie the wrong way but at least her sister did apologize for it in private but it helped having another friend there to help. Jessie is getting quite a good following in a good way & I hope she keeps growing. She is a mature young lady but still figuring her self out as well as her sexual orentation she may like boys & girls who knows but she will figure it out soon enough for her self.

Love Samantha Renee Heart

Yes, Jessie's both human and has come a long way...

I think many of us in the TG community carry a lot inside that spills out from time to time. The tears and importance of support has become crucial for Jessie, especially as she has experienced up close and personal the ugly side of people who differ.

It does help when someone like Mrs. Graft comes around or at least acknowledges problems.

Hugs, Jessie

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

Life is chaos

It is not going to be smooth but with enough supporters, Jessie's new life looks brighter. She is one lucky girl. Love this story. :)

Life is Chaos, better with support...

...Yes life is chaotic,.. My characters often have more support than many, yet hopefully not insulated or naive. Living as a girl can be more difficult the longer one does not see herself living as a female. I appreciate hearing from others about what is seen as more difficult in the adjustment. for someone like Jessie and for friends and family around her? Yes I agree Jessie is lucky for the support she has,.. but is their an end to the honeymoon when people will move away from her?
I want to continue to grow in my writing and understanding. I appreciate messages to me as a writer and someone who sees herself as a trans woman.

Hugs and thanks,
Jessica C

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

What a wonderful story, Jessica,

Ole Ulfson's picture

I've been catching up with it all day... I hope you won't rush to wrap it up too soon as it's very engaging and there's so much more I want to know about Jessie, his family, and his friends.

My apologies that this is my first comment, but I wanted to catch up to where the story is now...

Thank you,

Ole

We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

Gender rights are the new civil rights!

Cought in the act part 15

I am so proud of what Jessie is doing it is not right for people to be mean to her i know what she is going through i only wish that i was as brave as Jessie then i would be happy in my skin

Girls rule

Cought in the act part 15

It is so awesome the Jessie can be herself