Gaze of the Medusa

Printer-friendly version

A little doodle, let’s see how well it works…


Gaze of the Medusa

Truth behind the Myth? An examination of recent discoveries. – Guest lecture by Dr. Petra Blazic, Professor of folklore with specialisation in ancient Greek mythology, Universität zu Köln.

― In conclusion, as you can tell from the evidence, we have verified that with exception for certain embellishments, the myth of the Minotaur is in fact a retold actual event, just passed through many tellers and distorted through the same effect as Chinese whispers, before finally recorded in writing. The slightly elated professor wrapped up the lecture.

― While at the same time, it’s evident that the Icarus tale is just that, with us now being able to put a name to the actual original teller of the tale, thanks to the newly recovered records. That leaves me with about fifteen minutes to answer questions. Yes, the girl in the red blouse in third row. Dr. Blazic pointed to the student.

― Professor, earlier in the lecture you alluded to having found answers regarding the myth of Medusa, but you never came back to the topic. Can you elucidate a bit on that?

― Oh, it seems like there have been a bit of a misunderstanding here, miss. That myth is not at all what it purports to be. Please consider that this lecture was announced to be held by Dr. Leonard Blazic, when it was scheduled three months ago.

up
108 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Was the joke too well hidden,

Was the joke too well hidden, perhaps? Not sure how well my implicit wordplay worked here.

Question

I don't understand

Killing the joke

Well, explaining jokes usually makes them unfunny. But consider this - the gaze of Medusa is supposed to turn the one looking into stone. There's another word for turning to stone. The story is a wordplay on that word.

Wordplay, Schmordplay....

Andrea Lena's picture

....where can I go to look at Medusa face to face?????

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Clever!

Clever!

Joanna

Joke explained

Okay, the professor obviously encountered the stare of Medusa. Which is supposed to PETRify you. So, instead of turning to stone, Leonard turned into Petra.

Unfortunately

Monique S's picture

too few peope are versed in Greek mythology.

Nice one that.

Monique.

Monique S