Badasses Of the Multiverse: Book 5: Volume 2: Chapter 04

Printer-friendly version

Badasses Of the Multiverse Book 5: “The Gambling Man.”

Volume 2: “Total Badass.”

Chapter 04: “The Rat Maze.”

By Paul Cousins.

Copyright Disclaimer: All copyrighted places, characters, items, and events, within the story, are held by their current owners. No profit is being made on this work of fiction.

(_)

Babylon Five Reality. Date, January Twenty-Eighth, Twenty-Two Eighty-One. Location, Babylon Five Station, crew quarters in Blue Sector. Time, one hour after Lee accepted the job at the Deco bar on Mars.

Inside, Zack Allen's quarters, Zack Allen had just gotten ready for bed.

As Zack laid down in bed, he thought, 'Well, it was nice to speak to John, one last time. I hope the best for him, wherever he ends up. Now, I have to help plan the decommissioning ceremony... Might as well keep it low key... It is a funeral after all, for the station itself...' He continued his thoughts, with a bit of bitterness lacing his mood, 'A navigation hazard... Yea, right.'

Zack look up at the ceiling, as he continued his thought, 'This old girl deserves better.'

'I am with Garibaldi. They should just sold this old girl. Hell, Garibaldi offered to pay for the station, himself. And I know he had the money. His wife gave him her blessing, and her practically handed him her company checkbook. The station would have been in good hands... But, no...'

'Being in Earth Force may mean I cannot voice my opinion. But, it does not mean I cannot have an opinion.'

Zack then used the light switch, by he bed, to turn off the lights to his quarters, as he went to sleep.

While shrouded in darkness, in the corner of Zack's bedroom room, behind a chair, a slender, black hair asian woman, wearing a white jacket, over a red qipao.

The women quietly stood up. She then silently turned to look at her sleeping prey.

(_)

Location, Earth, Geneva, Switzerland. Time, Two hours after Zack went to bed.

It was the middle of the afternoon, in Geneva, as Earth Force General Susan Ivonava was sitting in her cushions office chair, behind her desk. She had just began to take a five minute break.

Ivonava turned her chair to look out one of her office windows, as she contemplated her future plans for her life.

As Ivonava leaned back in her chair, while looking out the nearby window, at the sky and courtyard by the building she was in, she thought, 'Well, I just got back from the planet Minbar. And I probably should start the paperwork on my resignation. Delenn's offer to be the Anla'Shok Na. Ranger One. Leader of the Rangers. Is too tempting to pass up.'

'I think I will make my last official act as General be as the Earth representative to Babylon Five's decommissioning... Damn. I do not think they should destroy the station. Or, at the very least, come up with a better reason than the station being a navigation hazard. In space, that just doesn't make sense.'

'Still, I am not that long for this life, either. And I am going to end up spending the rest of my days as Ranger One. That is not a bad ending to a good life of service. But, always service to someone else.'

'I just wish my love life was not such a wreck. Getting over Talia was hard. But, losing Marcus was even harder. I do not think I could survive a third hit like that.'

'In that final battle, I really, really should have claimed that God sent me. I was really tempting fate. I was severally injured. And Marcus had to all but sacrifice his life to save me. At least, we got him in to a cryo-tube, before he completely died. And his vitals have been stable, ever since then.'

'Yet, it is like sleeping beauty, only reversed. With the prince sleeping, and not the princess. And no single kiss is going to wake up my prince. Still, I will do everything in my power to bring him back... Even he is finally awoke long after I die...'

'And at least he now is safe on Minbar.'

'I guess I need to go back to work. And in all honesty, I thought being an Earth Force General would be more fun. Who knew that giving orders from the top can be as demanding as taking orders from the top?'

Ivonava then turned her chair back to face the back of her desk, as she went back to work on her electronic paperwork.

(_)

At that moment, outside, Ivonava's office, in the hallway, there were two women, in gray janitorial uniforms, complete with gray baseball hats on their heads. The two women were approaching the double-doors to Ivonava's office.

One of the women was also pushing a cleaning cart.

There was a guard posted at Ivonava's door. And he saw that, the woman pushing the cleaning cart was approaching him.

As the two women got closer, the guard saw that one of the women was a redheaded asian with tanned skin. The other women, who was pushing the cleaning cart, was a petite, black haired pale skinned woman.

(_)

Location, Minbar, homeworld of alien species, Minbari. Time, an hour after the two women approached General Susan Ivonava's office.

Inside a long term cryo-suspension facility, on the tenth floor of the building, Arcee took silent steps towards her intended target.

Luckily, as the Hell Saber member, Arcee walked through the rows of large cryo-stasis tubes, she found that the ceiling was just high enough to let her walk with leaning over.

While continuing her search, Arcee thought, 'The computer security in this place is a joke. It took me less than a minute to hack the computers. Turn off the alarms, and loop the video and audio system. Without anyone else being the wiser.'

'And it is fortunate for Delenn, her son, and the rest of the Minbari. Specifically, the more skilled, and badass members of the Warrior and Religious Castes. That Chang only wants pure humans. Or, we would have gone after them as well. And the only reason we are not going after John Sheridan is that we do not want to upset the First Ones of this reality. Especially, Lorien, whose age makes even me look like a child in comparison.'

'Speaking of which. For a human made series, I found the Babylon Five series, which Chang gave me copies of, to be very good. The pilot episode, the first four seasons, and the finale episode, were very well put together. The rest... Were watchable.'

'Now, to do my job. Which should be easy enough. The target's location is listed in the computer. And each of these cryo-tubes are listed as to have an emergency forty-eight human hour, dual battery system, in case power was cut off. Also, they are designed to be mobile.'

A minute later, Arcee found her target.

Arcee came to a stop facing the cryo-stasis tube listed as having the human man, Marcus Cole, inside it. Whom was barely clinging to life, in a near-death state. But, his vitals, though low, were stable.

Arcee hacked the cryp-stasis tube, to check to make sure the battery systems were functioning, and that the tube was worthy of transport.

As she confirmed both points, she thought, 'Look on the bright side Marcus. You will be with Ivonava, soon.'

Arcee then spent the next few minutes, unhooking the cryo-stasis tube.

As she picked up the tube, she thought, 'I will admit, I am the only one on my team that can do the heavy lifting, and transport on this machine, without risk of damaging it.'

After she had detached and picked up the cryo-stasis tube, she then walked a few steps, and she gently set the cryo-tube down, on its side, on the floor, away from the other cryo-tubes.

Arcee then used her built in reality device to teleport both herself, and the cryo-tube with Marcus Cole, back to Chang's Tower, in the Black Lagoon Reality.

(_)

On Mars Dome One, right before sunset, in the early evening, on the day that Lee arrived on Mars, a lone women, wearing casual clothing, stood inside a room, on the top floor, of the nearest skyscraper she could find that was closest to her target's location. Which was still miles from her target's main headquarters, Edgars Industries.

The room was empty, and the room had clearly not been used for a while. Though, the building itself was not empty.

Still, all Roberta had to do, to avoid being noticed, was to use her reality device to come and go, as she needed too.

Presently, Roberta was sitting in the middle of the room, in a chair, in front of a desk, as she faced the windows overlooking the tall buildings that composed the complex of Edgars Industries headquarters.

She did not stand by the windows, because she was concern she could be spotted.

As the Hell Saber Roberta at in her her chair, on her desk was a telescopic set of binoculars that were placed on the desk with a tripod, to allow Roberta to get a better look with her eyes, at the buildings, where her target was somewhere inside of.

Though, as was looked in the distance, she realized the place she was casing for her team was a the literal fortress.

While, the windows were tinted, to prevent people from seeing into the building, from the outside. Roberta took no chance. And she did not go near the windows, because, someone could use infrared, or other types of optics, to look into the building.

And given how cagey, and cunning, her target was reported to be. She had no doubt that his security team did such periodical sweeps, at least one, or twice, a day.

Though, her binoculars could see just fine, out of the windows, into the distance.

As Roberta looked through her binoculars, as she used her hands to adjust them, she thought, 'There are even limits to my new eyesight. Both natural, and artificial. And our target is a completely profession when it comes to his personal security, and the security of his family.'

'Chang said not to underestimate this Michael Garibaldi. And I am not going too. Though, I am now regretting not taking the time to see the Babylon Five series. Still, Chang did give us all a short summary of Michael's life. In the from of a mission briefing. That also included our other three targets in this reality. Along with what they are all capable of. What their resources are. Who their friends are. And what their friend's resources are.'

'Except for being a recovering alcoholic, Michael is definitely one to be careful around. He spent around four years as the Station Security Chief for Babylon Five. And he helped save the station from nearly every type of danger imaginable, an almost a weekly basis.'

'Then, Michael took over Edgars Industries, after marrying his, on again, off again, love interest, Lise Hampton. Whom was the widow of William Edgars. With her inheriting William Edgar's company. Making her very wealthy.'

'Lise married Michael, after Michael saved her life. She then allowed Michael to take over running the company. And from what I understand, he has done a very good in doing so. And the couple even have a teenage daughter, whom they named, Mary.'

'Still, Chang also ordered us to do this discreetly, and for us to not harm, nor bring to harm, nor capture, the target's wife, nor daughter.'

'And I can agree with the reasoning as to why Chang told us not to harm Michael's family. Even at his current, older age, Michael is a first rate badass. And Edgars Industries is a galaxy spanning company, with vast resources. Chang does not want to risk having those resources targeted against him, and us. Which is the reason for the needed discretion on our part.'

'Fortunately, I have confirmed the locations of both Lise and Mary. And neither are presently in the headquarters. And they will not return there for a few days. Though, this only makes our mission slightly easier.'

'Still, I have been casing this place for three days. And I can say, in a professional opinion, that place is a fortress. And I see so many problems with our mission, that it is not even fun. Plan, and implementing, this mission, is going to take a lot of skill.'

'The place has a completely open field of fire, for over a kilometer, in every direction. And I do not see any gun turrets, so I am not sure where the field of fire would come from. Also, the facility has a small army of armed guards. Though, that is not a problem for us. But, I have no idea what traps lay in wait, inside the building.'

'The sewer system has scanners in them. And there are likely boobytraps there, as well.'

'The computer firewalls of this building are top notch. We cannot hack them without alerting them that something is wrong. Which would likely mean that Michael would ask for help. This would create even more problems for us. Given the friends that Michael can call on. Including, their galactic armadas.

'Also, we dare not just try to teleport inside. It is likely the sensors would detect us at a moment's notice. And we do not know what dangers are inside, that may take us immediately by surprise, before we have time to react.'

'The only thing this place does not have is an emergency shuttle. Though, there is a landing pad. And I watched as a small shuttle landed on it, yesterday. With Michael, himself, being the one to exit the shuttle, and enter the main building. And because it was during the middle of the day, I could not snatch him.'

'Given the outside atmosphere is pressurize, it seems there is a docking hatch located on the dome itself, for VIP and government shuttles to come in and go out of.'

'Also, if Michael is half as skilled as I suspect he is, he likely has multiple escape shuttles, he can pick at random, to come for him. If he needed to evacuate his fortress. That means we cannot just steal one of his shuttles, fly it to the fortress, and trick him into coming aboard.'

'That being said, my team will meet me here tonight. And we will probably try a late night raid, with our hardsuits, and motoslaves. If nothing else, we can flush him out. And even if we fail. Given our technology, and there is no record of us exiting here. I doubt we will have to worry about him tracing us back across the multiverse, to our main headquarters, in Chang's Tower.'

'And even if that happens, Chang has a small fleet of Star Destroyers in orbit. Which are more advanced than the military spaceships that Garibaldi has at his disposal. And Chang's tower has an anti-reality protection field around it. To prevent unwanted reality travels from coming to us, uninvited.'

'So, we have the firepower to make them think twice about coming after us.'

'Now, all I have to do, it just figure out a basic plan of attack, while I wait for the girls to show up. Sawyer even kindly said that she would stop by, and pick me up some supper, from the Tower, before they came here. And that is kind of her.'

'For someone that use to make a career out of chainsawing, both corpses, and living people, into little pieces, and then disposing of those pieces, Sawyer is a surprisingly nice person to get to know. But then, I am not one who should judge others on such matters.'

Roberta then went to looking at the fortress, with her binoculars, as she continued to figure out which side the headquarters would be best to attack from.

(_)

A few hours later, in Mars Dome One, that evening, after dark, on the city outskirts of the dome, the inside of the Deco bar was full of people.

At that moment, outside, of the Deco bar, at a nearby parking lot, on the side of the street, to the right of the Deco building, a car, with the three women in the vehicle, road up to a stop.

From the back passengers seat door, behind the driver's left side door, Ranma stepped out. She wore her usual red chinese clothing. Though, she had on her goldern bracers on her forearms.

From the front passenger side, Natsuru stepped out of the car. She was wearing some casual clothing.

And from the driver's side, Akira stepped out of the car. She was wearing her cowgirl outfit, without her cowgirl hat, nor weapons, gunbelt, nor sheathes. She left her weapons, sunglasses, and hat in their car.

Like the rest of those in their group, they had each been given encrypted, hand-held radios, which they kept hidden on their person. And it was Balalaika and B, whom were nice enough to provide the radios, and they even had them preset. With their entire group, including Chang's friends, being grateful for the communications equipment.

After they locked and shut their car doors, they walked together to the nearby sidewalk, which let directly to the Deco.

Their car was from their home reality, even though it gas powered cars were banned, no one would believe that someone was driving them, because production of gasoline was hard to come by, on Mars. That was why they made sure to have a full tank of gas, before they teleported their car, from Devil's Hotel parking lot, in Plata Podrido, and a private location they knew, on the interior of Mars Dome One. The friends did the same, after each group finished their run, in one of the last few transports heading for Mars from Babylon Five.

As a way to blend in, the three women decided to speak in english, as they figured that speaking japanese in public would cause unwanted attention. And they made sure not to state anything too important, out loud, in public.

Half a minute later, They walked out onto the sidewalk. To their right was the entrance to the Deco bar which was about a hundred feet away, on their side of the side wall. While thirty feet, to their left side, in the opposite direction from the Deco, built into the sidewalk, on their side of the street, was the entrance to the underground subway, transport tube system.

The stairs away from the street.

As they turned to their right, and made their way to the Deco, they noticed there was no line outside.

As they walked together, Ranma asked, “So, what is this bar like?”

Natsuru said, “Well, when I spoke to Rock an hour ago, they said the place was like a nineteen twenties style bar, with live music. Though, it is known to play blues, jazz, and classic rock and roll.”

Ranma inquired, “So, a theme bar.”

Natsuru pointed out, “But, a stylish one, from what Rock told me.”

Akira said, “Those styles of music are fun and relaxing to listen to, so it should be fine. Because, we need a break after striking out on finding Lee.”

Ranma commented, “Given the size of this place, I can understand us not finding him. But, I am surprised none of us found him on the passenger ships.”

Akira shrugged, as she responded, “Well, Lee is good at hiding. But, where could he hide, that he would be able to avoid us?”

Ranma said, “Knowing him. He is probably hiding in plain sight.”

Akira stated, “I have to give him credit. He is good at that. But, we now know he is the writer. He cannot hide from us forever.”

Ranma agreed, “True.”

Natsuru suggested, “When we meet him, let us not mention we know what he did in the time loop.”

Akira said, “That is a very good idea. If he learns we know that. It will just make him run even faster and harder.”

Ranma replied, “I agree. And with his skills and intelligence, let's not give him more incentive to run.”

Natsuru inquired, “My thoughts exactly. Now, are we even sure he is stilled here?”

Akira answered, “Yes. Dutch stated she had a signature lock on Rock's reality device. Lee has not used it. Though, Dutch did mention that there were some other reality traveling elsewhere in city. Besides those of us that came here.”

Ranma inquired, “Anyone we know?”

Akira said, “I hope not. Though, Dutch did not go into detail. And I am not going to get involved.”

Natsuru agreed, “Considering our luck. That is a good policy.”

Ranma conceded, “I agree. Now, let us go inside, and relax.”

Akira pointed out, “At much as I would like to, we cannot stay for long. We need to make sure the girls are not getting into trouble.”

Ranma stated, “You have a point there.”

Natsuru said, “Let's just go in. Touch base with Rock and Revy. Listen to a few songs, and then leave.”

Akira complimented, “Good plan.”

Ranma commented, “I can go along with that.”

Akira stated, “I just hope that the others are not upset we missed our meeting, in the Black Sheep Hotel lobby, an hour and a half ago.”

Ranma shrugged, as she said, “It happens. And besides we were having a good dinner. And we did turned our radios back on when we finished.”

Natsuru commented, “With Rock, I won't worry about it.”

Akira said, “Besides, we will make it up to Rock and the others, by checking on all our children. Even I admit that our three kids with the Lagoon sisters is just asking for trouble.”

Natsuru inquired, “I still wonder why our daughters prefer to stay with such insane women, instead of others, like their cousins?”

Ranma suggested, “Perhaps we should ask, Lee, when we catch him.”

The women all stopped for a second, as they thought about what Ranma has said. Then, they burst out laughing, as the started back to walking towards the bar.

(_)

A minute later, Natsuru, Akira, and Ranma, reached the bar. The side above the front door was lit in pink neon light, which stated, from up to down, in cursive english, 'Deco'.

The front door, and the three women walked into the bar.

As the three women stood just inside the entrance, they looked around, and they liked what they saw.

The room was about half full of people.

The mostly black and white art deco look of the bar was stylish, and pleasing to the eyes. With the stage's red curtains offer a nice contrast to the room.

In addition, the band was playing a pleasant melody, as the pretty, human, twenty something female singer was singing on key, with her beautiful voice.

The soft yellow lighting around the table and bar sections. There were people sitting at both the tables, and the bar counter, whom were listening to the music, as they talked with each other.

Behind the tables, between the tables and the stage, was the dance floor. And there were a few couple slow dancing on the floor.

With the dance floor actually put in the shadows, between the tables section and the stage. With the only can lights looking down on the stage directly on the singer, whom was standing in the front center of the crescent shaped stage.

And those couples that were dancing on the dance floor, were doing a slow dance, with the soft blues style music.

The singer wore a red evening gown, with red flat sole slippers, that fit her slender figure well. She had an earpiece on her right ear. She also was swaying back and forth to the beat of the song.

The band members were sitting in the back left corner of the stage, as they played their instrument, while the faced the audience. The band members were in the shadows of the stages, but the three women could make out what the instrument players looked like.

The five band members were sitting were in two rows. The back row was three seats, and the front row was two seats. All five band members were male, and they wore gray and black plaid suits.

To the right corner of the stage, in the shadows was the piano, and the pianist playing the piano.

The pianist sat on the piano bench, while he was facing away from the audience, and he was wearing a black suit, and black short rimmed fedora hat, which made it more difficult to see him in the shadows.

As the women continued to take in the atmosphere of the clue, Natsuru was impressed, as she commented, “Now, this is how you do a theme bar.”

Akira noticed that more of the men in the room were in nice suits, and most of the women in the room were in nice dress. She said, “I think we are a bit undressed for this place.”

Ranma looked around, as she disagreed, “No. I think we are a lot undressed.”

Natsuru stated, “Rock did not mention a dress code here.”

Ranma and Akira said, in unison, “Good.”

Ranma said, “Now, let's see who is here.”

As the three women look at the audience

Ranma said, “I see some of them. There is a large table in the middle of the bar.”

Akira replied, “I see them too.”

Natsuru commented, “Same here.”

At a large round table, in the middle of the round tables, sat Eda, Benny, Janet, Dutch, Lotton, Shenhua, and Sawyer.”

Akira stated, “And I see Rock and Revy by the bar counter, near the middle of the counter.”

Ranma replied, “I got you.”

Natsuru said, “I see them.

Akira suggested, “Let's go talk to Rock and Revy. If we talk to the others, we are likely going to be here all night.”

Natsuru said, “Agreed”

Ranma commented, “Yes. Though, they are always good for a laugh.”

The three women then turned and walked over to the bar counter, were Rock and Revy were standing at, as they sipped their drinks.

As they reached the female couple, Revy was the first to noticed them, as she set her drink down, with appear to be some form of cola, on the counter, while she turned to face them. She said, “Hi guys.”

Akira replied, “Hi Revy.”

Rock look over in their directly, as she kept her glass of what appears to be lemonade, in her right hand. She said, “So, how goes the hunt, with you three?”

Natsuru said, “It could be better.”

Ranma commented, “No luck on our end.”

Rock replied, “I was afraid of that.” She mentally added, 'And you would have radioed us, if you found, Lee.'

Natsuru inquired, “So, why did you guys pick this place?”

Rock answered, “Because, we were the mood for a live music performance, that we go listen to on the cheap. And we heard from the locals say that this bar had a good blues and jazz band. And this band seems to now their stuff.”

Revy commented, “I wasn't crazy about coming here myself. But, since everyone else did, I decided to come to. Still, the one thing that sucks is that with IDs, we cannot get any alcohol.”

Rock mentioned, “At least, they take gold at payment.”

Revy replied, “At least there's that.”

Akira thought, 'I am regretting that we lost our fake identicards, at our house, a few years ago.' She said, “Well, at least we can enjoy the music.”

Revy agreed, “That's true.”

Ranma stated, “And it is best we remain sober, until we catch, Lee.”

Revy conceded, “I will give you that one. Then, we get throw our party, and we get shit faced drunk.”

Ranma replied, “I look forward to it.”

Natsuru asked, “What is the band's name?”

Revy answered, “The Martian Blues.”

The trio of lovers giggled for a few seconds. Natsuru then said, “At least they are showing some skill in their performance.”

Akira turned to Natsuru, as she agreed, “Yes.” She then turned back to Rock and Revy, as she inquired, “So, where is everyone? I only see a few of us here. And I do not want to ask over the radio. That would be rude.”

Rock said, “I appreciate your manners. And to answer your question. As you know we did spread out. But, I did checked with everyone an hour ago, back at the hotel, in the lobby, before we split up.” She then continued, with slight annoyance in her tone of voice, “A meeting you three missed.”

Akira commented, “We were having dinner at a nice japanese restaurant. And it was pretty good copy of our native food, for those that live on Mars.”

Rock agreed, “Yes. It is surprising that good food never goes out of style. Anyway, Balalaika and B are in their hotel room right now.”

Revy spoke up, “Yea, sis and B are back at the hotel. They wanted some private time.”

Ranma thought, with amusement, 'That figures.' She replied, “Okay.”

Akira commented, “I am just happy you convinced them not to bring their army with them.”

Revy shrugged, as she replied, “What would be the fun if they caught Lee, first?”

All the women in their group giggled a little, as Akira agreed, “Good point.”

Rock stated, “Anyway, Balalaika said that the two of them can be ready at a moments notice. And with those two, I have no doubt they can.”

Natsuru said, “No arguments there.”

Rock went onto say, “Violin and Aeryn are taking a break, and enjoying some of the local culture, a couple of kilometers away from here, further into the city.”

Ranma said, “I hope those two have fun.”

Rick agreed, “So, do I. We have no clue where the maids are heading. They showed up for the meeting, don't say a thing, and headed out of the lobby, for parts unknown.”

Akira thought, 'I hope those two don't cause to much trouble. Still, about our kids...' She answered, “We already know the girls are all together. But, where at they?”

Rock answered, “A local club, with a disco theme, a couple of blocks away, called, unoriginally, The Disco.”

Akira said, “That just screams trouble.”

Rock replied, “Yes. It does.”

Natsuru inquired, “Whose idea was it to go there?”

Revy stated, “It was Kristina's idea... Something about she never had the opportunity to enjoy such places in her previous life, with friends. We know better that to ask.”

Ranma thought, with disbelief, 'And I use to think my personal life was strange.' She said, “That is a good idea. Still, that does not surprise me about your kids.”

Revy growled, “What does that supposed to mean?”

Natsuru spoke up, “It is just means that our lives a good distance from the norm of the bell curve.”

Revy responded, in a slightly confused tone of voice, “Huh?”

Rock understand what Natsuru was saying, as she said, “It is a complimentary joke.”

Revy replied, “Oh.”

Akira asked, “So, where are Chang's people?”

The five women then heard a female voice, right beside them, say, “Well, us three are just enjoying ourselves, while the Serenity crew are having a late dinner, elsewhere in town.”

The women turned to see Jetta, Faye, and Spike, in their usual clothing, sitting at a small table less than six feet from the bar counter.

Natsuru greeted, “Hi guys. So, what you are doing at this bar?”

Jetta cracked a smile, as she said, “A rhythm and blue bar we wouldn't come visit... Please.”

Ranma stated, “You have a point there. So, what is you opinion of the music?”

Faye commented, “The piano player is good, the singer and rest of this Martian Blues band is decent.”

Ranma listened to the music for a few seconds, with her honed music skills, she learned during the time she was a rock singer in Japan. She then said, “I can go along with that.”

Akira asked, “I have a question. How is this Mars, compared to the Mars you know?”

Spike shrugged, as she replied, “It's different.”

Akira thought, 'A polite way of saying they don't like it.'

Jetta commented, “At least the locals are nice.”

Akira agreed, “True.”

Faye said, “And the food is okay.”

Akira replied, “That too.”

The group of women then continued their conversation.

(_)

Nearby, at their table, Benny, Janet, Dutch, Lotton, Shenhua, Sawyer, and Eda, enjoyed the performance, as they enjoyed their non-alcoholic drinks. Which ranged from various sodas, to lemonade.

They were dressed in casual clothing. And only Shenhua had her concealed weapons on her person. The rest of the women had left their weapons in their cars.

Janet complained, “I wish we could get some beers, but we don't have any valid ID.”

Dutch looked over at her, as she stated, “Don't worry about it. I have some good bottles of beer back at the hotel. I brought them with us.”

Janet replied, “Thanks. I look forward to some of having them.”

Dutch mentioned, “So, do I. Also, I spoke to the bartender of the Black Sheep Hotel. He said he would serve us any alcohol we want, for a large bar or two of gold.”

Janet grinned, as she stated, “And that would be worth every ounce.”

Dutch returned Janet's smile, as she said, “I agree.”

As the others women at the table listened to the music, Benny commented, “I have heard this song before. But, from where?”

Lotton answered, “The song is titled, The Night Has Thousand Eyes. It is from the Dark City movie soundtrack.”

Benny replied, “Ah, yea. I remember that movie. Good movie.”

Lotton said, “Yes, it was. But, I am never visiting that place.”

Benny stated, “Me neither.”

Shenhua commented, “It is interesting how good music, and other forms of art, can be found in the most unlikely of places.”

Lotton agreed, “That is very true.”

Meanwhile, Sawyer noticed that Eda was looking at the people stage.

Sawyer asked, “What are you looking at, Eda?”

Eda lied, “Nothing. Just enjoying the music, and the atmosphere.”

Sawyer put her right elbow on the table, as she rest the bottom of her chin on her right, open palm. She let herself slightly space out, as she replied, “So am I.”

Eda continued staring at the piano player's back, as she thought, 'I recognized that clothing, and those shoes. That style of clothing is the same as the gray suit Lee occasionally wore back in Plata Podrido. It is just a different color of clothing. But, the darkness against the black clothing makes it hard to see the piano player physical build, even with my heighten sight.'

'And if he is Lee, this is exactly how Lee would hide in plain sight. It is classic Lee.'

'I have to get a better view, from a different angle. If he is Lee, I am not sure I want to turn him over to Revy and the others, just yet. I want to talk to him first. Still, what excuse can I used.'

Eda then saw the doors to the restrooms, on the left wall of the room, across of the bar counter. She thought, 'That would make a good excuse.'

Eda then stood up, and Shenhua asked, “Where are you going?”

Eda looked over at Shenhua, as she answered, “To the restroom, to pee.”

Eda then made her way through the other tables, chairs, and sitting patrons, as she made it to the left wall.

When Eda reached the entrance to the women's restroom, she stood at the door, as she turned to look at the pianist on stage. At the angle she was at, she could see the side of the face of the pianist.

Even though it was dark, Eda was probably the only person that had seen Lee's face in the dark. And she remembered his facial profile well, during that one night, months ago.

Eda did not show it outwardly, but she thought, with surprise, 'My god! It is Lee! He is even wearing those same sunglasses that he wore back in Mexico. Still, does he know we are here?'

Eda then noticed the slight smirk on Lee's lips.

Eda thought, 'Oh yes. He does know we are here. And he doesn't care. He really is crazy... Well, he did knowingly pull cons on us. He slept with me under false pretenses. Thought, to be fair, I did the same to him, while he did it to me. And River likes him. Those are sure signs of mental instability.'

'Still, what am I going to do, now? If I tell the others that the pianist is Lee, in doing so, I will likely get innocent bystanders needlessly killed, and Lee captured in a manner that benefits neither of us. So, I will just stay quiet on this, and bide my time for a chance to talk to him. And I am sure I will get the opportunity, if I am patient.'

'Besides, I really do have to go. And since he is here. One of us is bound to start the chase with him. So, I might as well pee, while I still can.'

Eda then turned back to the women's restroom door, and opened it.

As she walked inside, she found the art deco motif continued into the large women's restroom. And she guess the large men's restroom, as well. She also found the women's restroom to be room very clean.

Eda then headed for one of the open stalls, to relieve herself.

(_)

Back in the bar room, the song changed, to another pleasant, slow dance song.

On stage, with his back turned to the audience, Lee continued playing. He has seen Rock, Revy, and the others come into the bar, around hour ago, when they stopped the band for half a minute. After they had just finished a very skillful jazz song. To let the audience applause them, which the audience did.

The reason the women did not recognized Lee was he was wearing his black suit, hat, and sunglasses, against, a black piano, black bench, black stage, with the main lighting on the stage being on the singer, and not the band, nor pianist.

Even with the women's enhanced senses, they did not recognized Lee in all the black camouflage.

So, Lee continued to focus on the piano keys, as he continued playing, while he ignored the women's presence.

And he had done so, with missing a key.

Currently, they were playing one of the songs the Martian Blues band has selected for their set tonight. A song that Lee knew by heart. With the song being, Sway, from the Dark City soundtrack. He thought, 'This has been fun. I had almost forgotten how much fun it is to perform for an audience. And this band has a lot of interesting tastes in music. The music they select is more of, it if sounds like it fits, use it. Instead of just sticking to the just music pieces created during that time period.'

'They are even playing to sounds from one the more interesting sci-fi movies, whose title is, Dark City. We are currently playing a wonderful rendition of, Sway. And we had early played the song, The Night Has Thousand Eyes. Which is fitting for my situation. And this band picked those songs out. It seems that a few of them enjoyed the Dark City movie, and they thought the songs would fit the motif for the bar, and Ryan, the owner, after listening to the songs, agreed with them.'

'And the singer here can really bring out these types of songs. She has a lot of soul, and skill... But, it will soon be over. This is the last song we are playing for the night. And then it will be back on my journey to cure my cancer, as lose these crazy chicks.'

'At least I do not have to worry about escaping them, from this building. The red curtains will soon close and I will simply walk backstage. I will then meet Ryan in his office, to get paid. Then, I will exit out the back door of this place. And I checked. There is a back door to this place. And it does not trip the fire alarm.'

'After I leave this building, from the back, I just vanish in the night, get a snack from a place these band members told me about, and then back to my hotel room. Where I will get some rest, and then, after checking out in the morning, and having some breakfast, I will be gone.'

Close to a minute and a half later, the singer, the band, and Lee, finished playing the song, Sway. And the audience applauded one more time, as band members stood up, and they, along with the singer, took a bow. While Lee remained in his seat, with his back facing the audience.

As the clapping died down, the singer then addressed the audience. She stated, “I offer the Martian Blues a thank you, for all you for listening to our performance. And we wish to thank our guest pianist, Ello Gray.”

Lee quickly thought, 'I cannot turn around, with the girls seeing me. Fortunately musicians are known to be eccentric.'

Lee kept his back turned to the audience, as he held up his left hand and waved his left hand in the air, couple of seconds. He then dropped his hand back to his side.

The audience clapped, as the red curtains from the sides of the stage, began to slowly close.

As soon as Lee, saw from the corner of his left eye, the curtains completely close, he let out a sigh of relief.

(_)

From table that Jetta, Spike, and Faye were sitting at, they had gone back to talking among themselves, and left Ranma, Akira, Natsuru, Rock, and Revy continue their conversation with them.

Faye quietly said, “So, the pianist was not a regular member of the band.”

Spike stated, “That figures.”

Jetta commented, “Let's be happy that we had the chance to enjoy his performance.”

Faye replied, “Agreed.”

Spike said, “I can go along with that.”

The three friends then continued their conversation.

(_)

On stage, a few seconds after the curtains completely closed, Lee got up from the piano bench. He looked over at the singer. He thought, 'Best not to speak until I am sure the microphones are off.'

Lee saw the singer look at him, as she took off her earpiece, and turned a small dial on it, to turn it off. She stated, “You can speak now. The only microphones we have on stage, are on the instruments, on this ear piece. And the red stage cloth is heavy enough to mask our voice. So, we are not good to talk.”

Lee said, “Thank you. I appreciate you giving a special mention for me.”

The singer complimented, “No problem. You did a good job.”

Lee smiled, as he said, “Yes. And you all did a wonderful performance, as well.”

Lee saw the band members smile, while the singer said, “Thank you.”

Lee replied, “You're welcome.” He then mentally added, 'Now to get paid.'

Lee then head for backstage door, on the right side of the back part of the stage.

(_)

Half a minute later, Lee walked up to the open door to Ryan's office. Ryan was the bar owner and manager. And Lee saw that he was sitting in his chair, behind his desk.

Lee knocked on the open door, for a second.

Ryan looked up, from behind his desk, from the chair he was sitting in. He saw Lee looking back at him. He commented, “Come in. I guess you want to get paid.”

Lee walked inside, and up to Ryan's desk, as he pulled out his credit chit from his right pants pocket. As he came to a stop, he said, “Yes.”

Ryan stated, “Well, you did a good job. So, I am going to pay you, two hundred credits. Does that sound fine to you?”

Lee answered, “That sounds reasonable.” He then handed Ryan his credit chit.

As Ryan took Lee's credit chit, he replied, “Glad to hear it. So, any chance I could convince you to do an encore performance tomorrow night?”

Lee responded, “Sorry. But, I got to get on the move.”

Ryan then pulled out his credit chit, and transfer the cash, with both of them pressing their thumbs on the card to officiate the credit transfer.

Ryan replied, “Okay. But, given your skills, it was worth asking.”

Ryan then handed Lee's credit chit back to him.

After Lee took his credit chit back into his hands, he pocketed it, while Ryan did the same with his credit chit.

Lee said, “Pleasure doing business with you, Ryan.”

Ryan replied, “You to, Ello.”

Lee then turned and walked out of the office, as he headed for the back door to the building, and to freedom.

(_)

Meanwhile, at that moment, back in the bar, at the bar counter, Ranma, Natsuru, Akira, Rock, and Revy were continuing their conversation.

Akira looked over at the shut curtains, and them back at Rock and Revy, as she commented, “Well, I believe that show is over.”

Revy replied, “Yea. But, it was good.”

Natsuru commented, “I regret only hearing the tail in of their set. But, if we come back around here, we have this place to hang out in. And we could enjoy the show, then.”

Rock complimented, “That is the right attitude to have.”

Natsuru replied, “Thank you.”

Akira stated, “Well, we better go check on both our kids, and your kids, at the Disco.”

Rock stated, “That is a good idea. Even at their age, I feel they sometimes need chaperoning.”

Akira asked, “Yes. They do. I guess that is a failing on our parts. So, how do we get to that club?”

Rock answered, “It believe to get to the club, go outside, and you take a right outside by two blocks, then drive another back, take left, then two blocks, you should see the outdoor sigh.”

Akira replied, “Thanks. And if we cannot find the place, we can ask directions.”

Rock said, “Worse come to worse. Their radios are on, and we can use them to contact the girls.”

Akira complimented, “Good idea.”

Rock said, “Thank you.”

Ranma commented, “Well, see you guys back at the hotel.”

Rock replied, “You too.”

Revy said, “Be careful.”

Natsuru commented, “Now, coming from you, that is a compliment.”

In response, Revy smiled at Natsuru.

Akira, Ranma, and Natsuru, turned and head towards the front door to the Deco bar, with the intention of reaching their car, to go check on their children.

(_)

While the trio of women were leaving the Deco bar from the front entrance, Lee had walked out the back side door, which was located on the right side of the building. And he was casually walking towards the sidewalk, with the intent of heading for the underground, transport tube station, to get a late night snack, at a restaurant he heard about, from the band members he had played with. He then planned to head back to his hotel, for some rest.

Lee soon made it to the sidewalk, he then turned to his left to see that the stairs, leading to the underground station, in the sidewalk, several yards away from him.

As Lee walked towards the stairs, he thought, 'That was fun. I now have a little more money in my pocket. And fortunately, I can take the transport tube, which is just a gloried subway, to get a snack, from a restaurant the band members recommended. Then, I will had back to the hotel.'

'Fortunately, I found that the hotel is right by one of these transit points, only one station over. I checked that, this afternoon. When I had a break from rehearsals. And best of all, I lost the girls, one more time.'

A few seconds later, Lee heard multiple footsteps approaching him, from behind. He thought, with annoyance, 'I thought too soon. It has to be them. The multiverse would not be nice enough to give me a break this late in the game. And if I turn around, they will see me. If I pick up the pace, they will suspect something is wrong. Still, from the footfalls, at this pace, I should make it to the station, before they reach me.'

As Lee pass by a parking lot to his left, he heard Ranma's female voice say from behind him, “Hey. Are you, Ello, the pianist?”

Lee thought, 'Crap, it is Ranma, with likely Akira, and Natsuru by her. I cannot take those three in a fight. My only chance is to fake my voice. While coming to stop, with my back turned to them, and hope they stop, without walking around in front of me.'

Lee came to a stop, and he heard the women come to a stop behind him, as well.

Lee thought with relief, 'Okay. That is a small favor.'

Lee fake his voice, by making his voice sound hoarse, as he answered, “Yea. That is me.”

Ranma said, “Well, you did a good job.”

Natsuru complimented, “Yes. That was a fine performance.”

Lee kept his voice hoarse, he replied, “Thank you.”

Akira asked, “How long did it take you to become that skilled at the piano?”

Lee thought, 'Yep. All three of them are here.' He made sure to keep his voice hoarse, as he stated, “A better part of a decade.”

Ranma said, “Maybe sometime, you can play for us.”

Lee responded, in a hoarse voice, “Maybe. Well, I have other engagements. Have a pleasant night.”

Ranma said, “You as well.”

Lee then continued walking, he was less than thirty feet from the entrance to the transit station.

(_)

Meanwhile Ranma, Akira, and Natsuru came to a stop, while Natsuru was looking very hard at Lee's back.

Akira noticed, as she inquired, “What is it?”

Natsuru commented, “There is something familiar about that man's profile, but I cannot place him.”

Ranma said, “It does not matter. We have to go check on the kids.”

Natsuru agreed, “You are right.”

All three women then turned towards the parking lot, where they had their parked their car.

(_)

At that moment, Lee reached the stairs, and he started down the stairs to the transport station, but as he step down the first couple of steps, the wrist he had his digital wrist watch on bumped the safety railing, and the alarm when off.

Lee immediately used his other hand to turn it the alarm, but his precognition screamed that his cover was blown.

He looked behind himself, to his left, to see Akira, Ranma, and Natsuru staring at him, with the women's eyes going wide.

(_)

At that moment, thirty feet away, on the side walked, the three women were caught in the moment, as Natsuru commented, “I need to trust my instincts more.”

Akira said, “I don't believe it.”

Ranma smirked, as she stated, “I told you. Plain sight.”

They then saw Lee turn, and rush down the staircase.

The three women then ran after him, as Akira pulled out her radio. She pressed the talk button, as she stated, “This is, Akira. We found, Lee.”

On the other end, Rock inquired, “Where is he?”

Akira answered, “Believe it or not, he was Ello Gray. The pianist playing on stage, at the bar.”

Revy said, on her radio, “Damn. Lee is good at this.”

Akira said, “I know.”

Revy asked, “How close are you to him?”

Akira answered, “We are about thirty feet from him, and chasing him down into a subway. We will have him in a minute. Maybe less.”

Rock replied, “Good.”

Akira then pocketed her radio, as they made it to the stairs leading down into the subway station.

(_)

Meanwhile, Lee made it down to the bottom floor, he continued running through the station, towards the transport tubes.

Lee found that he was the only one in the station, at that time of the evening.

As Lee ran, he thought, 'I just need to be mindful not to head to the shuttle that leads the my hotel. I will have to head to the tube that goes further into the city. Depending on the situation, I will double back later, or just reality jump. I can live without my luggage. I cannot live without my life.'

Lee then came within sight of the row of electronic toll booths, and the transports tube terminals behind the booths.

The booths were were at waist height.

But, Lee also saw that beyond the booths there were no transport tubes on the station.

Lee thought, 'Damn it. I don't see any transport tubes. But, if I can get passed the booths, I have a chance.'

Just as he pulled out his credit chit, from his pocket, he heard Natsuru yell, behind him, “Surrender Lee! You are only making this harder on yourself!”

Lee thought, 'From Natsuru's voice, I would guess they are about twenty feet, and gaining, but that will not matter in a second.'

Lee then walked into one of the electronic tooth booths, he swiftly put his credit chit into the slit on the booth, pressed his right thumb into his credit chit, a second later, he heard a beat from the booth that meant the transfer cleared. He then immediately rushed to the other to the other side of the booth, as he pocked his credit chit.

Five seconds later, the three women just jumped over the booths, and a row of bars, with a flat bar bottom, ahead of entire booth, but behind Lee, dropped right in front of them, between them and Lee.

Lee heard the clang of the bars drop. He stopped, and turned around.

Lee looked at the girls, as the girls looked at him. He thought, 'Good. What just happened, happened. Now, I have a chance to talk to them.'

Lee said, “First, I would advise that you to not damage those bars. While cops may not look for you for just jumping a toll booth, they will look for you for damaging property.”

Natsuru conceded, “That is sound advice.”

Lee maintained his poker case, he stated, “Now, ladies. Let us keep this civil. You may want to catch me, but it is just not going to be right now. My precognition tells me that it will be a couple of minutes until the police show up. So, we have a moment to talk.”

Lee thought, 'Also, it will be a few seconds for one of the transport tubes to show up. And I don't want you to realize that I am trapped at the moment. Between literally a rock and hard place.'

Ranma replied, “Good idea.”

Akira commented, “Okay, Lee. We will go along with that for a moment.”

Natsuru said, “I have always been one for peaceful resolutions.”

Lee inquired, “Let us start with the first real big question. How angry are you with me?”

Ranma admitted, “Not very.”

Natsuru replied, “I am not that upset.”

Akira admitted, “While, I do have a few issues to discuss with you, in private. That is neither here, nor now. And otherwise, I am not that upset with you.”

While Lee maintained his poker face, he thought, with sadness, and guilt, 'I can guess what you want to talk to me about, Akira. It deals with the death of Johnny. And me writing you killing him. That is just one more crime on my mountain of sins.'

Lee conceded, “Fair enough. So, do you have any questions for me?”

Akira asked, “Yes. When the maids showed up, why didn't you just surrender to us?”

Lee pointed out, “I tried. You didn't take me up on my offer.”

Ranma questioned, “Why were you not more direct?”

Lee explained, “Because if I just handed myself over to you, it would have cheapened the hunt for you. And I did not want to piss of Revy any further than I already had.”

Akira responded, “I can see your point. But, she is not that pissed off at you.”

Lee inquired, “So, she doesn't want to put my balls into a vice?”

Akira joked, “Nah. Her hands are far stronger than any vice that I know of.”

Lee lightly chuckled. He then commented, “I am afraid to even ask how you know that.”

Akira responded, “Trust me. You don't want to know.”

Lee said, “Let's leave it at that.”

Akira replied, “Agreed.”

Natsuru thought, 'Now, is the best time to try to get you to surrender to us, Lee. And I know just how to convince you to do so.' She calmly stated, “Lee. We know you are dying of cancer.”

Lee rubbed his shaved chin with his right hand, as he said, in a casual tone of voice, “Yea. The extreme weight loss. Along with then gaunt face and hands. Makes it pretty apparent at this point.”

Ranma commented, “Actually, River told us.”

Lee said, “That was nice of her. She was probably trying to soften your blow towards your revenge against me?”

Akira admitted, “Pretty much.”

Lee asked, “Did it work?”

Ranma stated, “Not really.”

Lee thought, with concern and worry for his friend, 'I have to know.' He inquired, with him letting his concern for River slip through his poker mask, “Given the way I left River, I take it you all know she and Sam were the same person?”

Natsuru answered, “Yes. She showed us.”

Lee questioned, “Is she okay?”

Natsuru replied, “Yes. After our conversation with her, we turned her over to Chang.”

Lee thought, 'Now is not the time to get into what she told them. I just do not have the time. But, I doubt she told them anything to serious about me. She is my friend, after all.'

Ranma commented, “From what we were told, you only have a few months to live.”

Lee deadpanned, “I am very much aware of my impending death.”

Natsuru offered, “We could save your life. If you just surrendered.”

Lee replied, “Ah yes. The vat process. The price is far too high.”

Akira commented, “Being a girl is not that bad. And don't be a hypocrite.”

Lee calmly stated, “It is not that. It is that I will not be brainwashed and turned into a slave. If you three, of anyone, understood the overall theme of my writings, you would understand that I would rather die, than be a slave.”

Ranma conceded, “You may have a point there. Still, the offer stands. And even if you lose us, you can find us at Lagoon Island. If you change your mind, and want to surrender, so you can live.”

Lee honestly said, “I will keep that mind.”

Suddenly, Lee heard, from behind him, one of the transports tubes arrive, with the doors to the small cabins sliding open. with the cabins.

Lee though, 'I do not have time to be picky. I will just find out where this transport tube is heading, and get on it.'

Lee look behind him, at the number of the terminal the tube was at, and then at the wall map to women's left. He then turned back around to the women, as he smiled at them. Lee said, “Well, that is my ride. Good luck, girls. You going to need it.”

As the three women watched Lee walked into the transport tube, after Lee entered one of the connected cabins, he turned around, and look at him. He wave a little bit with he right hand, while his smile got a little wider.

A few seconds later, he stopped waving, as he turned around, and went to sit down, on a cushioned bench, set around the cabin of the transport tube.

A few moments later, the cabin doors slide close, and the transport started moving, to the next station.

Ranma commented, “And I thought I was hard to get.”

Akira said, “Lee is clearly not going to make this easy for us.”

Natsuru look at the map on the wall to their left. A few seconds later, she turned to her lovers, as she stated, “I know where he is heading. He is going further into the city, and the next station is only a couple of kilometer away. The name is south station forty-seven, B. If we get to the car, and hurry, we might beat him there.”

Akira complimented, “Good thinking. Let's get out of here.”

The three women then turned around, and ran back out of the station, and up the stairs.

As they made it to the sidewalk, heading for the parking lot that their car was parked in it, Akira pulled out her radio.

Akira stated, into the radio, “We lost him. But, we know where he is going. He is taking the subway into town. The next station is a few kilometers from here, further into town. We can make it in our car. The name is the station is south station forty-seven, B.”

On the other end, Rock stated, with her radio, “Okay. I believe that Aeryn and Violin are nearby.”

Aeryn commented, from her radio, “You are correct. We will meet you there, in our vehicle. I even believe we know where the station exit is. I believe we used it early. It comes out near Violin calls a large convention. We have seen people coming and going from it. But, we have not yet checked out what is happening in there. But, if Lee was intent on losing us, he would go into the building, in attempt to lose our trail.”

On her radio, Rock complimented, “That is a good point.”

Aeryn stated, with her radio, “We will me the surface exit of the subway station.”

Akira said, “Good. We will see you there. And if the convention center is in use, Lee could lose us in there.”

Violin pointed out, from her radio, “That depends on the type of convention happening there.”

Akira questioned, “You don't know?”

Violin admitted, “No. I have been meaning to ask about it. But, I look forward to finding out.”

Akira replied, “So, do I. Also, keep in mind, the target is wearing a black suit and black fedora hat, that is in the same style as that gray suit and he wore at the Day of the Dead dance, and the casino poker game.”

Violin said, “Thanks for the tip.”

Akira responded, “You're welcome. And see you there.” She then put away her radio, as they made it to their car.

Akira quickly pulled out her keys, open the driver's side door, unlocked the other doors, so Natsuru and Ranma could get in.

Half a minute later, Akira was on the road, as the three of them headed deeper into the domed city.

A minute later, after the three women drove away, the police finally arrived, to check out what was going on. Only to find that there was nothing to find.

(_)

Three minutes later, Lee was sitting in his seat, in the transport tube, when the cabin came to a halt in the next station, with the doors sliding open. He immediately got up, and walked out of the cabin.

Lee then briskly walked out of the station, and up the stairs. As he made it to the sidewalk on the surface, he looked around him, as he mentally wondered, 'Where am I now?'

The street lights around him provide plenty of illumination, as he looked around him. Instead, of being on a small sidewalk, like he had entered from the previous station, this was a sprawling sidewalk. And it was fifty feet from a parking lot, with the highway on the far side of the parking lot.

There were several cars in the parking lot. And there were people coming and going, all around him.

Lee thought, 'Okay, I am in a crowded place. This could help me. Now, where to hide.'

Lee then turned around, and saw he was fifty feet from the front of a huge building. He saw that the building he stood in front of went up for at least twelve stories height.

The building was at least a mile wide, with Lee in the center.

Lee could not see the other corners, so, he could not see corners, to gauge the depth of the building.

Lee thought, 'Now, that is a big building.'

Lee then saw the four entrance double-doors, side by side, that he saw people coming in and out of. To the left of the doors, on the wall, Lee saw a large bronze plaque state, in english, “W.E. Convention Center.”

Lee thought, “W.E... William Edgars... That makes sense. The guy was rich. And he was known to invest in Mars infrastructure.'

Lee then noticed there was a small plastic sign with detachable letters, placed on the wall, between the bronze plaque and the doors, stated, in english, “Open to the public.”

Also, there were other alien symbols below the english message.

Lee thought, 'So, anyone is welcome. The alien symbols probably mean the same thing. And this would be a perfect place to get lost in.”

Lee swiftly made his way towards the doors. And he soon found himself inside the building.

Half a minute later, as he walked through a large hallway inside the building, he made his way into the main area of the building. He noticed that he passed by some restrooms, and also a bay of elevators.

While Lee continued to walk, he could hear english speaking rock music coming from the speakers, in front of him, in the main area of the building.

While Lee walked into the open space, he came to a stop, just inside the hallway. As Lee look out in front of him, he stood in shock was what he saw.

Lee found himself on the bottom floor of a very large atrium.

And the room was brightly lit from countless lights place along the walls, as very level, and area. Allowing Lee to see around, as if it was daylight.

As Lee looked around, he saw that the atrium was a huge square shaped area. With the square being half mile from corner to corner, from each end.

From the interior square, Lee saw several exposed floors going up, in a straight row, with open balconies, and safety parapets lining the exposed parts of those levels.

Lee could not see how deep the upper levels went. But, he guess they went far into the building, in event direction.

But, the building, itself, was not what surprised, Lee.

It was who and what Lee saw in the building, that caused the man with a master poker face to go slack jaw, and speechless.

Lee saw there were men, women, and children there, of all ages, of many alien species, and humans.

There were especially a lot of teenagers of various species, and genders there.

And some of them were in various costumes. Lee recognized a few of the costumes.

Also, Lee saw there were small venders and dealers, of every description, lining the area, on each level. Especially in the square in front of him.

And they were selling various types of merchandise. From video discs, to data crystals, to boxes of scale models, to toys, to other merchandise. And though, Lee did not recognize most of the logos, and titles of the fictional series the venders were selling, Lee did understand the general vibe of the situation.

From all this, Lee could only come to one insane conclusion.

Lee collected himself, as he thought, 'I am in an alien sci-fi convention... This officially marks the weirdest moment of my life. And that is saying something. And this place is clearly running twenty-four hours a day.'

Lee then watched as a pretty, Minbari, teenager girl, dressed as a klingon warrior, walk by him. He mentally worried, 'I have got to get out of here before I go insane. The good news is I can probably lose the girls in this chaos. The only problem is those that are following me have been far more fan conventions than I have. They probably know this scene better than I do. Still, I got a good head start.'

Lee then looked over at the wall to his right, and he saw a poster stating who was funding the convention.

Lee silently read the poster, as he thought, 'Edgars Industries is funding this. Of course, it is their convention center, so it figures they would be the host it. And it figures that Michael Garibaldi would be paying for all this. He always had good taste in classic fiction. And he has been known to share the wealth before.'

Lee then looked in front of him, towards the atrium, as he thought, 'Now, to take a step into the wide insanity that has become my life. Though, which way should I go... Simple, I will go in the direction they least expect me to go. Straight ahead. With luck, they will split up, and waste time canvasing the entire area, while I am long gone.'

'Though, my greatest danger is when I make it back outside, as I cover the field of cars, to the road, they could spot me from a distance, if they put a look out out. Or, they could also cover the doors. But, I doubt they will, with only three people currently after me. And maybe around half dozen behind them. They do not have enough man power to do all that.'

'Though, either way, there is nothing I can do about that. So, I won't worry about it.'

'Also, Rock knows better than to send a lot of her team here. She will only send a few others for back up. So, I don't have to worry to much about that. And the sooner I exit the other end of the convention center, the better my chances of escape are. So, I might as well make my way through, as soon as possible.'

As Lee began to work his way through the crowd, while trying to avoid brushing anyone, or anything, he noticed the song that was playing had ended, and other song began.

Lee soon recognized the song that had begun playing, as he thought, with amusement, 'The song is, The Growl, from the Star Trek Into Darkness movie. What perfect music piece for both this place, and the situation I am in.'

Lee then walked further into the convention center, as he disappeared into the crowd.

(_)

A few minutes later, outside the W.E. Convention Center, near the subway entrance that Lee had come out of, Akira found a parking place in the parking lot of the convention center.

As Akira parked her car, she thought, 'I am glad that parking is free here. Now, to meet up with Violin, and Aeryn. And those two radioed us, on our way here. With Aeryn finding a map. And the side we came in at here should be the side that the entrances to the subway is at. Where we will be meeting them at.'

After the three women got out, they quickly walked towards the building, heading for the center of the building, where the main doors were located at.

As they continued to walked, they saw how big the building was, as Ranma asked, “Do you think, Lee went in there?”

Natsuru answered, “I would head in there, if I was him.”

Akira agreed, “I would too.”

(_)

A minute later, they made their way to the entrance to the transport tube station.

As the three women did so, they saw Aeryn and Violin standing by the entrance, looking at them.

While approached both women Akira noted that both of them were wearing casual clothing, and neither appeared armed.

Akira thought, 'They probably do not want to attract attention. And so, they kept their pistol weapons in their own car. Still, unarmed, Violin is next to unstoppable. And Aeryn is a train soldier. I doubt they have much to worry about.'

As the trio came to a stop in front of the couple, Natsuru said, “Thanks for coming.”

Violin replied, “No problem. We want to catch Lee, as well.”

Ranma asked, “Did you see him come out?”

Aeryn answered, “No. I believe we missed him. But, it is obvious where he went.” She then used her right hand to gesture towards the building.

Akira looked up at the building as she whistled. She said, “That is both a tall building, and a big building.”

Violin turned around to face the building, as she agreed, “Yea. Needle in a haystack time.”

Aeryn suggested, “Well, let us head inside, to find him.”

As they walked, towards the doors leading inside, Ranma approached Violin. Ranma whispered into Violin ear, “Is she always this straightforward?”

Violin answered, “Most of them time. Unless our asses on the line. Still, it helps with preventing misunderstandings. And it makes it more enjoyable in bed, for both of us.”

Ranma shrugged, as she replied, “I can see the appeal.”

(_)

A few minutes later, after they made it inside, down the hallway, and to the entrance to the atrium, they came to a stop, as they looked out at what they saw in front of them.

They were all surprised by what they saw inside the atrium, and the atrium’s ascending levels.

As they all got a full view of the alien sci-fi convention in front of them, Violin stated, with mild surprise in her tone of voice, “Just when you thought you have seen everything...”

Akira nodded, as she replied, with a slight bit of eagerness in her tone of voice, “I know.”

Natsuru suggested, with a little amount of excitement in her tone of voice, “After we catch Lee, we can always spend a few days here.”

Violin stated, with enthusiasm in their tones of voice, “Nice idea.”

Akira said, with excitement evident in her tone of voice, “I can go along with that.”

Ranma and Aeryn looked on at the three other women. They then rolled their eyes for a few seconds, as they both disagree with the three other women.

Ranma turned to look at Aeryn, as she asked, “Considering we are the two trained trackers here, which way do you think Lee went?”

Aeryn turned to Ranma, as her lips curled into feral smile. She answered, “Lee is a savvy individual. But, I am married to a savvy individual. Lee will expect us to think that he went in one direction, or another, and he will gamble that we will split up. So instead, he would go in the direction we least expect him to go. Directly ahead of us, in a straight line.”

Violin overheard her wife's comment, as she agreed, “That is a good point.”

Natsuru suggested, “When we catch him, I should be the one that confronts him. I am trained to take down people without harming them.”

Violin said, “That would be poetic justice, considering he was the one to give you such skills.”

Natsuru grinned, as she responded, “My thoughts exactly.”

Aeryn commented, “Also, if we had more time, and personnel, I would recommend sending people to the roof, and to all the exits, to watch for Lee, should he attempt to leave the building.”

Violin said, “You can't have everything, honey. But, that is a good plan.”

Aeryn smile became warmer, as she replied, “I know. Now, let us hurry. Because, I am sure our target is on the move. And he likely will not rest until he feels that he is safe.”

The five women then started walking directly in front of them, into the heart of the crowd and vendors, in the atrium, as quickly as they could, without making a scene, nor drawing attention to themselves.

(_)

At that moment, deeper in the crowds and vendors, of the bottom level of the atrium, Lee continued walking. But, as he made his way through the convention, he could not help but look at those around himself.

Lee passed by a teenage Drazi boy, and a teenage Narn girl, whom were together, with both of them dressed in Jedi robes and clothing.

Lee thought, 'I have to admit, those two make it work.'

Then, Lee passed by a sight he wished he never saw.

A pak'ma'ra wearing an original Star Trek series, red female Star Fleet uniform, complete with short skirt.

Lee winced as he looked away. He mentally reflected, 'I did not need to see that. Still, pak'ma'ra are hermaphrodites that require two of them to reproduce. So, the hosts of the convention cannot really stop them from wearing such clothing.'

'Still, I wish I had not seen that.'

Lee forced himself to continue walking. He soon saw a young Centauri couple walk by. As expected, the Centauri woman had her head shaved bald, and the Centauri man had a short style Centauri hair cut what popular for young Centauri generations that worked outside of upper class functions.

Both wear fully covered clothing corresponding to their genders from the Star Trek Deltan species.

Lee thought, 'I would have not even known they were Centauri, except for the man's hair style.'

Lee also saw humans wearing clothing, and costumes, that were clearly not made for human frames.

Lee thought, 'It makes sense there are alien scifi series with human are fans of those series... What a minute... Cosplay is canon in this reality. In the Babylon Five, season two episode. There All The Honor Lies. The gift shop was selling human looking, full face and head, masks to aliens. Along with gloves that look like human, or alien skin.'

'It would make sense that masks of aliens faces and heads would be sold to humans. And this is the place that both human and aliens would mostly wear such masks, gloves, and bodysuits...'

'Oh my... I have entered that trope, now...'

'Though, at the end of the Babylon Five episode, Epiphanies, there were three Elvis impersonators, the embodiment of professional cosplay.'

'That just cranks up the mind screwing even higher, because it could be difficult to tell who the humans are. And who the humanoid aliens are. And not just that. Such as, is the person wearing the klingon mask a human, or a humanoid alien... Speaking of which, I am not surprised there are alien fans of Star Trek and Star Wars. Star Trek was a very alien friendly series. And Star Wars is just plain fun to watch.'

'But, if I see an alien dressed like Indiana Jones, or Han Solo, I am calling it a day.'

'Still, I got to watch myself here. I could get in a lot of trouble with the locals, if I am not careful... Mos Eisley Cantina has nothing on this place...'

'I have to find a way out of here, before I go completely bonkers. And I think going straight might be my best shot. Fortunately, the vendors are lined in a grid pattern, so I don't have much to worry about, in getting lost, as long as I continue going in a straight line.'

As Lee continued to make his way through the crowds of the vendor's section, he saw teenagers of different alien species, including humans, of different genders, grouped together. Some were in costumes, some in casual clothing for their species and gender.

Suddenly, as Lee continued walking, Lee realized, something to his horror, as he thought, 'There is a small army of alien fans of sci-fi and fantasy fiction series here. And these type of fans tend be very intelligent, and technology orientated in their fields of professions. And these humans and aliens probably have accept to technology I can barely even understand. If these convention goers here ever learned that the world as myth theory is real, they will likely invade the rest of existence, and the multiverse will never be same.'

'And I just lead three recognizable anime and manga fictional characters here. While I am sure those three will not kill anyone, unlike Revy, Shenhua, and Sawyer, back in book three. The fans here might recognize them. Then, things will get real interesting, and really strange, real quickly...'

'Oh no... And in leading Ranma, Natsuru, and Akira here, I have lead matchsticks into a fireworks factory. I have to get out of here soon, before someone realizes what is going on, and all hell breaks loose soon after.'

'And if that happens, I am sure the so-called first ones of this reality would like to have a few words with me.'

'Oh hell... Speaking of powered beings, there are telepaths on this planet. Oh crap. They could be here. If one of them read my mind right now, I just screwed the multiverse a new one.'

Lee came to a stop, as he immediately looked around, but he did not see anyone staring out him. And his precognition did not alert him to anyone staring at him, either.

Lee thought, 'Okay. I may have lucked out just now. But, I cannot take any chances. I have to clear my mind, a make my way through this place, as quickly, but as calmly, as possible.'

'I know for a fact there are telepaths that are science fiction and fantasy fans. River is one. So, there are likely a few telepaths here.'

'Though, I am a precognitive science fiction and fantasy fan. So, I am not one to talk.'

'Still, if anyone is presently reading my mind. Just to let you know. I am not upset. I respect telepaths. Actually, one of my good friends is a telepath. Her name is River. She is a wonderful woman. So, if you have been reading my mind. Please. Please. For the sake of not only your reality, but the multiverse, keep what I thought secret.'

Lee then picked up his pace, as he continued walking though the bottom floor, of the atrium.

Three minutes later, as Lee passed a vendor's booth, to his left side, he saw a large collection of blu-ray boxsets, on a shelf, behind a vendor's table, which caught his eye. He stopped for a few seconds, to he turned to his left to look at the boxsets.

The dealer sitting in a chair, behind the table was a human man, in his early forties, in fairly good physical shape. He noticed Lee looking at the boxsets.

The dealer sat up from his chair, behind his table, as he commented, in english, “Quite a classic. Never a dull moment in this series. A true quality live action series. It ran for twenty seasons. Each season is twenty-six episodes long. Five hundred and twenty episodes long. Each episode running over forty minutes. It has twelve full length, two hour movies. Every episode and movie is full of action, gunplay, and hot women.”

“And this is the complete tv and movie collection. It is in multiple languages, dubbed and subtitles in both English and Japanese. With several episodes and movies having audio tracks with cast and crew interviews, along with several extras, including live actions omakes and the making of specials.”

“I will even throw in a complete, official copy of the complete soundtrack. You should know, over two centuries later, this is still one of the best transfers of a series from anime and manga to live action, from Japan to Hollywood, that has ever been made.”

Lee continued looking at the boxsets, as he stated, “I completely believe you.”

As Lee took a more detailed looked at boxsets containing the live action series version of Black Lagoon, he thought, 'This is likely the live action version of Black Lagoon that Tex-Mex wrote, and drew, about in the R Black Lagoon magazine... Of course. R Black Lagoon, as in Real Black Lagoon, or Reality Black Lagoon. As in Live Action Black Lagoon series... Dammit. Dammit. Dammit. In spite of everything, I still want to see this series. But, I do not have the time, nor the money to do so... But, I know some people who do.'

'And the worst case scenario, if they catch me, I can problem get them to let me watch this, before they kill me.'

The dealer asked, “Would you like me to bag it for you?”

Lee looked over at the dealer, as he stated, “I don't have the money for this. But, I know some people here who do. If you see three hot human women with brightly colored hair. A blond, a blue haired girl, and a redhead. Wave them over here, and them show this series. I can all but guarantee you a sale from them. And they will likely pay you in gold. But, for your own safety, do not ask any of them for their names. And do not ask anything about them. Just accept the sale in gold, enjoy eye candy, and move on.”

The dealer replied, “No problem. Though, I can tell you are interested in this series, as well.”

Lee admitted, “Of course I am. I have seen the anime and manga versions. I loved them. Yet, you could say these series literally haunts me to this very minute. Still, I cannot help be ask, how does that live action version of this series end?”

The dealer lips curled into a smile of glee, as he stated, “It ends in a spectacular fashion. World War Three happens, the island is invaded by several major military forces, whom get their asses kicked hard by the locals. Still, most of the cast dies in the end, with salary man and the redhead coming out on top, and controlling everything.”

Lee chuckled. He then said, “I can see that happening. Anyway, what is the quickest way out of here, from where we are at?”

While the dealer point a direction, that was to the behind the dealer. The dealer answered, “The nearest exit from here is the west end of the building. That way.” He then gave Lee instructions on the alternative exit to the convention center, which he recommended.

Lee thought, 'So, that means I came in from the south end. That makes sense, since I took a transport tube from the south side of town, further north, into the city.'

Lee said, “Thank you. And good luck with your sale.”

Lee then turned, and walked around the dealer's table, as he started heading in the direction the dealer pointed out. With Lee making his way out of the building, as quickly as possible.

(_)

A few minutes later, the dealer whom had spoke to Lee, saw five women walk near his booth. The women were about fifteen feet way from him.

Of the women, four of the women appeared to be in their twenties. They were a blond, a redhead, a blue haired girl, and a woman with dark blue hair. The other woman appeared to be in her late twenties, early thirties, and she had black hair.

The dealer thought, 'I wonder if those are the women that the man mentioned. Only one way to find out.' In the direction of the women, the dealer said, “Hey ladies.”

(_)

Nearby, Akira, Natsuru, Violin, Aeryn, and Ranma were making their way through the crowd, with Aeryn and Ranma having trouble keeping the other three's attention on the job of finding and catching Lee.

Ranma thought, with annoyance, 'It is like being in a candy shop with those three.'

Suddenly, the women heard a male voice say, from their left side, towards them, “Hey ladies.”

The women stopped, as they turned to see a man standing in a booth, behind a table. With a chair to his left side, and a set of shelves, behind the man. With merchandise on the shelves.

Akira asked, “Are you talking to us?”

The dealer answered, “Yes I am addressing you five ladies. All I request, is a moment of your time. Please.”

Akira turned to her friends, and they shrugged in response.

The women turned back to the man, as they walked over to their booth.

When they reached the dealer's booth, Aeryn asked, “So, why did you call us over to you?”

The dealer answered, “I believe you might find some of my merchandise interesting.”

Meanwhile, Akira and Natsuru noticed a set of shelves with boxsets of a single series.

Akira asked, “Is that was I think it is?”

Natsuru answered, “Sure looks like it. But, it cannot be that long a series?”

The dealer overheard the women, as he thought, 'I believe that man was right. Still, that man warned me not to ask their names. So, I won't.'

The dealer looked over at them, as he stated, “That is actually, the live action version of the Black Lagoon series.”

Natsuru looked over at the dealer, as she asked, “There is a live action version here?”

The dealer replied, “Yes.”

Akira turned to the dealer, as she inquired, “How many episodes are we talking about? And how long is an episode?”

The dealer answered, “Not countering the movies, soundtrack, and extras, that are included with the deal. Each episode is over forty minutes long. And the series runs for five hundred and twenty episodes.”

Akira and Natsuru instantly went slack jaw.

Violin responded, with a bit of surprise in her voice, “Whoa. Now, that is some marathon watching.”

While Natsuru and Akira collected themselves, Akira looked over at her friends, as she said, “I am sorry. But, I have to buy this. It is just to good an opportunity to pass up.”

Violin commented, “Don't feel bad. I have had my own fan moments, before, myself.”

Natsuru said, in a supportive tone of voice, “I am with you on this. This is too tempting an offer to pass up.”

Akira pointed out, “But, I do not have the money.”

Ranma rolled her eyes for a few seconds, as she thought, 'Sometimes, my lovers can be so forgetful.'

Ranma turned to look over at Akira, as she stated, “Have you forgotten?...” Ranma pulled out a small bar of gold, from one of her pants pockets, as she continued, “The Lagoon family are not the only ones that are rich.” She turned to the dealer, as she held up the gold bar. She inquired, “Is this good enough as payment for what we want?”

The dealer stated, “If it is pure. Absolutely.”

Ranma said, “It is.”

The dealer thought, 'My god. The man was right. That bar alone would pay for that set a few times over.' He inquired, “Then, the only question left, after you give me that bar of gold is. Do you want them in a bag? And do you want it gift wrapped?”

Ranma handed the gold bar to the man, with her right hand, as she stated, “A few bags will be fine.” She turned to look at Akira and Natsuru. Then, back to the dealer, as she continued, “And there is no need to wrap them. They are going to be opened soon enough.'

The dealer pocketed the small gold bar, as he smiled. He said, in a happy tone of voice, “A pleasure doing business with you.” He thought, 'And I will make sure I give them the whole set with nothing mess. I do not want to upset such generous customers.'

The dealer than turned to his left side, and he pull out, from beside his chair, three large, plastic shopping bags, which he set onto the table. He then opened the bags.

The dealer then turned around, as he carefully divided up the blu-ray boxsets into the three bags. When he finished with the boxsets, he included the cd cases with the soundtracks to the series, on top of the boxsets, in one of the bags.

The man check each item, to make sure everything was there. After which, the man looked up at the women, as he said, “All ready for you. Would you like a receipt?”

Akira stated, “That will not be necessary.” She mentally added, 'Besides, if there is a problem, it is not like we can return it to you. Still, if one of the discs is defected, we can find a replacement somewhere in this reality.'

Akira held one of the bags in her right hand, by the cord handles, while Natsuru grabbed the other two bags, by their cord handles. With a bag in each of Natsuru's hands.

Aeryn inquired, “So, how did you know we would be interested in this items?”

The dealer answered, “Was there was this human man, in a black suit, that came by here, a few minutes ago. He said that a group of women. One with blond hair. One with blue hair. And one with red hair. Might walk by and they would be interested in this set. I guess he was right.”

Ranma stated, “He is talking about, Lee.”

Akira cursed, “Damn it. This was a trap.”

Violin shrugged, as she commented, “If this is what Lee considers a trap, I could use a few traps like this. Because, this is the nicest, most pleasant, most rewarding trap I have ever been in.”

Aeryn lightly elbowed her spouse in disappointment.

Natsuru commented, “He knew this would be too tempting for us to pass up.”

Aeryn thought, 'We still might salvage the situation.' She asked, “So, which was did this man go?”

The dealer thought, 'I can tell these women wish ill for this man. Given this man just gave me my sale of the day, I am going to cut him a break.' With his right hand, he pointed directly in front of him, in the opposite direction of the way he sent Lee. He stated, “He went that way.”

Aeryn replied, “Thank you.”

The women then all turned and started walking in the direction that the dealer pointed in, as the Akira and Natsuru carried their bags of boxsets, with them.

A few seconds later, the dealer lost track of them in the crowd.

(_)

At that moment, on the west end of the convention center, Lee had passed by countless people and vendors, as he finally exited the atrium. And he made his way into a large hallway.

As Lee saw the exit to the building, in the distance, he heard a young female voice say behind him, in english, “Hey you. Stop.”

Lee stopped, as he thought, 'I do not recognize that voice. I might as well see who it is.' He turned around to see a young teenage, human girl, about twenty feet from him.

The girl was fair skin, with a slender physical frame. She had brown hair pulled into two ponytails, on the sides of her head. And she wore a long skirt, a blouse, and feminine boots.

Lee thought, 'I do not know who she is. But, I estimate her age is around thirteen. I will just humor her as quickly as possible, and then get out of here.'

Lee politely said, “Yes ma'am.”

The girl said, “I am pretty good at identifying the costumes people wear at these events. But, I cannot recall your costume.”

Lee thought, 'That is because I am not wearing a costume. Still...' Lee honestly answered, “I am dressed as an early, twenty-first century, southern gentleman.”

The girl pointed out, “I would think that suit would be a bit dated for the twenty-first century.”

Lee thought, 'Actually, it isn't. At least not in my reality. Though, I never did pay much attention to fashion styles. Even back home. Still, such a comments deserves a stylish reply.' Lee cracked a smile, as he said, “A good suit never goes out of style.”

The teenage girl giggled a little.

Lee mentally wondered, 'Now, who are you?' He calmly asked, “Now, might I asked who is inquiring?”

The girl answered, “My name is, Mary.”

While retaining his calm exterior, Lee mentally screamed, 'Oh crap! I recognize her now. She is Mary Garibaldi. The young daughter of Lise and Michael Garibaldi. But, why is she here?...'

'Of course, with her father hosting this event. She would be here to have some fun. She probably inherited her father's taste in fiction. I don't see any bodyguards nearby, but given who her parents are, and how paranoid her father is, I am sure they are close enough to act, if need be. As such, I have to get away from her right now, before I draw her bodyguards interest. Or worse, her father's interest.'

Lee said, “Well, I hope you have a pleasant night, Mary. But, I am in a bit of a hurry, and I have to go.”

Mary asked, “Before you leave, could you tell me who you are?”

Lee slyly replied, “Just a traveler looking for his next destination.” Lee then turned back around, and headed down the hallway, towards the exit.

(_)

Nearby, about fifty feet away, by the south wall of the east hallway, near the entrance to the center atrium, a man in a black suit, wearing an earpiece on his right ear. The man watched as Lee walked away from Mary Garibaldi.

The bodyguard spoke into his earpiece, “This is Jonah reporting in. Ms. Brown spoke to a man just now.”

The other end spoke into Jonah's earpiece, “Trouble?”

Jonah answered, “No. The man appears to be leaving. And he only turned to address Ms. Brown, after she spoke to him.”

The other end of the line inquired, “Did the man show any interest in Ms. Brown?”

Jonah responded, “No. He only spoke to her for a moment, and then left. He is heading for the west exit. Should I follow him?”

The other end of the line stated, “No. Since he shows not interest in Ms. Brown, then he is not our concern. Continue watching Ms. Brown.”

Jonah thought, 'That is fine with me.' He replied, “Yes sir.”

As Jonah continued to watching Mary Garibaldi from a distance he sighed, as he thought, 'When I took this bodyguard job, I thought it would be easy. I thought, Mary would just be the standard, rich girl, going shopping with friends, and going to the normal places normal girls go too.'

'But no. I will never say it out loud, but Mary is a tomboy at heart. And having rich parents takes her strange interests to whole new levels. She is one of the most athletically active and intelligent girls I know of. And fortunately, she is also one of the nicest girls I know of. In that respect, her parents raised her right.'

'Still, she is also a fangirl. She has some of the strangest tastes in fiction this side of the rim. And I know for a fact she gets her taste for her father. The man who runs one of the largest companies in the galaxy. And he is is a fan of children's cartoons... What does that say about the cosmic state of the sanity of the universe?... Or, lack there of?'

'And every time she goes to one of these conventions, those of us doing her bodyguard work for her get heartburn because she chooses to surround herself with lunatics... Hell, she is one of these lunatics.'

'And the worse part is that my boss, her father, made it a point that I could not show my presence to her, as I did my job.'

'Still, Mister Garibaldi pays well, so I am not going to complain too much.'

Jonah then went back to doing his job, watching Mary from a distance, with making sure she stayed safe.

(_)

A minute later, Lee exited the convention center.

When he reached the outside, he saw people continuing to come and go from the building.

While, Lee continued walking towards the parking lot in front of him, to his left side, he passed by a some vidphones on the outside wall of the convention center, with an awning over where the vidphones were located.

Suddenly, one of vidphones in front of him began to ring. Though, a human man near Lee picked up the phone.

Though, few seconds later, the man turned to Lee, as he asked, in english, “Hey. Are you, Quaid?”

Given Lee was the only other person nearby, Lee realized he was the one being addressed. He stopped in his tracks, as he turned to look at the man. He replied, “Huh?”

The man continued to look at Lee, as he said, “Melina is on the phone, for you.”

Lee mentally realized, 'Those are names from the original Total Recall movie. Either this is a trap, and I have already been found. Or, it is an asset, and somebody I don't know wants to help me. Either way, I might as well answer it.'

Lee walked over to the man and the vidphone. He took the phone receiver from the man.

As the man walked away, Lee turned to the video screen, as he placed the receiver to his right ear. He saw that the video screen to the vidphone was blank.

Lee answered, “Hello.”

Even though the voice was modulated, Lee could tell that it was a woman's voice that said, “Please, do not run. We are here to help. Continue walking towards the parking lot, and do not panic.”

Lee said, “Fine. I won't run. I will do as you instruct me to do.”

The voice replied, “Good.” The other end then hung up the line.

Lee replaced the receiver back on the hook by the vidphone screen. He then turned to his right, and he continued walking away from the vidphones and towards the parking lot.

A minute later, two individuals walked up from behind Lee, and they stepped up to him. Each person gently gripped one of his arms, as they walked beside him.

He heard a feminine voice, to his right, say, english, “Please continue walking While facing forward. We will talk when we get to our destination. Which is not far.”

Lee did as requested, as he thought, 'This is not good, but expected. Though, my precognition is not alerting me to any danger, but quite the opposite. So, I might as well go with them. Still, there is something familiar about her voice. I just cannot place it.'

From the angle they were at, Lee could not see there faces. But, he saw they were slender women, whom were shorter than him, but still slightly above average height for adult women.

And Lee recognize their clothing.

One woman to his right was dressed as Revy. The woman to his left was dressed was as Ranma.

Lee thought, 'Well, this is right outside of a sci-fi convention, so pretty women in costumes would likely not get the wrong kind of attention here.'

They soon made it to the parking lot. Lee could see that they were clear, to pass by the traffic lane, as they continued walking.

They then spend the next few minutes passing row after row of cars, as they got further and further way from the convention center building.

A minute later, they walked up in front of black painted, four door, convertible car that looked brand new, which parked facing the aisle of the parking lot, that Lee and the two women were standing on.

Though, the roof and windows of the car were raised on the vehicle. The roof was unmistakably as a collapsible roof, that as raised and lowered by mechanical means, built in the back part of the car.

The two women turned Lee to face ten feet in front of the car, as the driver got out of the car, from the left side driver's seat. The driver then closed the car door and walked around to the front of the car.

The person was a young black haired woman, whom wore a simple white white t-shirt, black pants, back socks, and black tennis

Lee immediately recognized woman, as he asked in a confused stated, “Lori, what are you doing here?”

Lori just grinned mischievously towards Lee.

At the same time, the two women beside Lee, let go of his arms, and they walked around to stand beside Lori.

When Lee got a looked at the two women, he saw that they both had red hair and fair skin. And they looked very familiar. They almost looked like twins, but there were subtle differences in their faces, and bodies, that were only noticed when they were standing side by side, with each other.

Then, a woman got of the front right passenger side of the car, and closed the door being her. She was a young woman as well. She wore the same clothing as Lori, but she had red hair, and tanned skin. She walked around the front of the car to join the other three women.

Lee immediately recognized the fourth woman. The pieces came together, as Lee blurted out, in surprise, “Ed... Oh my. You're the Lowe family.”

The four members of the Lowe family just laughed as Lee reaction.

Lee reminded silent, as the Lowe family laughed. Lee thought, 'So, the Last Resort Diner was another cover operation. This one by the Lowe family. But, I am guessing help me. And Lori is Bob. The two younger redheads are Stan and Lewis. I am not sure which is which. With them taking turns being a waitress and cook. I wonder which one of them is the good cook? And Ed was likely in the back office, doing finances, because I would have immediately recognize her.'

A few seconds later, as the Lowe family calmed down, the one in the Revy costume said, “It took you long enough figure out who we are. By the way, I am Stan Lowe.”

The one in the Ranma costume said, in english, “And I am Lewis Lowe.”

Stan and Lewis looked at each other, then turned back to face Lee.

Lewis asked, “There is one question we would like to ask you, Lee. Between Stan and I, which one of us is hotter?”

Lee slapped himself upside his forehead, with his right hand, as he thought, 'My ass is literally on the line, and these to guys, turned girls, are asking me a question like this. Their rivalry never stops... At least it is a friendly rivalry... Now, they want me to tell them which is hotter. A dangerous answer with only on correct solution.'

Lee said, “You are both physically and mentally equals. It is your personalities that separate you. That is how I wrote you. Lewis, your beauty comes from being an intellectual genius, that is also athletic. Stan, your beauty comes from being an athlete, with a brilliant mind. For a man, comparing beauty between women is like comparing apples and oranges. Both are great for different reasons, and tastes. Why most women do not understand this... Gender benders included... I do not know.”

Ed and Bob giggled.

Stan smiled, as she compliment, “Nice dodge.”

Lewis shrugged, as she replied, “It was worth a shot. It is not every day we meet our creator.”

Lee quickly said, “Kid, don't get religious on me. The very fact I unknowingly played god is the reason I am in this mess.”

Bob pointed out, in english, “The very fact you did is the reason me, and my sons, currently turned daughters, exist in the first place. We thank you for that.”

Ed stated, in a kind, mature, tone of voice, in english, “And I thank you for giving me a lifetime with them. And an even possibly better future. We thank you for that.”

Lee replied, “You're welcome.”

Ed said, “Though, it was not smart coming to Mars. You write about Mars a lot more than you likely realize.”

Lee responded, in annoyed tone of voice, “That is how they found me. I am such an idiot.”

Bob said, “No. You are actually doing pretty good, at the moment. Now, that you have gotten your ass to Mars. Let us see if you can get your ass off of Mars.”

Lee thought, 'Another Total Recall joke... Ah hell.' He stated, “The Total Recall injokes. The diner name, The Last Resort. Your aliases there.”

Bob shrugged, “All four of us loved the original movie. It is one of the best mind screw movies out there. Violin even quoted a few injokes from that one. But, that is normal for her in, any incarnation. That movie is almost as much a mind screw as the little story we are all a part of.”

Lee admitted, “You got me on that one. I loved that original Total Recall movie, as well. I saw it as a kid, and I was never the same, again.'”

Bob mentioned, “I can appreciated that. And if you are wondering. Ed picked out my alias, Lori, for my ID, way back, a few days before we were married. During the very end of Book Three of your stories.”

Ed commented, “I did it as Total Recall joke. And we later decided to run with that joke, when we came to Plata Podrido. With using the aliases Mary and George, from that movie, as well.”

Bob said, “And it was a good joke.”

Ed turned to Bob, as she stated, “Thank you, honey.” She then turned back to look at Lee.

Lee commented, “In Book Three, I never actually stated what that alias was for your female form, Bob. That is why your name threw me.”

Ed grinned, as she stated, “Soon after we met you, we realized that. Otherwise, you would have recognized Lori. Which makes the situation even more hilarious.”

Lewis spoke up, “Speaking of which. Stan and I had a bet. We decided to play a game with you, Lee. We would swap roles, and alternate between being the cook that fixed your food and the waitress that took your orders. We wanted to see if you would figure out that we were two different people alternating the use of the same names, Mary and George. Since you didn't figure it out on your own, I lost the bet.”

Lewis reached into a pocket in her red pants and pulled out a five dollar bills.

She handed five dollar bill to Stan.

Stan stuck the five dollars into the front of her black bra, under her black crop top shirt.

Lee thought, with mild amazement, 'I am living my own running gag. Welcome to the crazy.'

Lee said, “I had other things on my mind at the time. By the way, which one of you is the good cook? Though, I have no serious complains about what the other cook prepared. It is just that one of you is a lot better at fixing food, than the other. Though, the other person's food is passable.”

Stan said, “Lewis is the good cook.”

Lee said, “Thank you, for the answer.” He then turned to Ed, as he asked, “Ed, where were you in the diner?”

Ed answered, “I was in back, doing the finances. We knew you would recognize me.”

Lee thought, 'As I expected, And they also probably experienced the time loop.'

Lee stated, “You are right. I would have. You just have a unique, though beautiful face.”

Ed said, “I will take that as a compliment.”

Lee inquired, “Okay. So, how did you figure out I was the writer?”

Bob pulled from her pocket an old faded picture that Lee remembered. She held it towards Lee, for Lee to see.

Lee looked at the picture and realize who was on it.

Lee then pulled a picture from his pocket, and both adults compared the photos.

Though, Lee's was much newer, both photos showed a picture of Bob, as a man, Lee, and Rock, as a man, in the Rats Nest bar. On the other side photo, they had each signed their names.

Lee then remembered, as he stated, “Of course. That morning, at the Rats Nest.”

Bob grinned, as she commented, “Yes. Good times.”

Lee nodded once in agreement, as both of them put their pictures back in their pockets.

Ed explained, “It took some time to piece things together. But, that picture was a major clue. Rock must have forgotten about the picture she had. While Bob showed me the picture a few times. Over the course of our lives. And neither of us forgot about it.”

“When we heard about that bait you posted on your reality's internet, with Revy and the girls heading to the Devil's Hotel, we decided to beat them to this punch. Like we found out Eda and Yolanda did. We went a few months into the past, and set up the diner. Bob, as you can guessed, picked the name.”

Bob playfully said, “My pleasure, man.”

Lee chuckled a little at Bob's Total Recall injoke.

Ed went onto say, “We also went to the Devil's Hotel, and we spent a few early mornings, secretly wiring the restaurant and lobby, microphones. Distracting those clerks on duty, those nights, took only a little effort. We also hacked into the hotel's camera system, including the lobby, and restaurant.”

Ed thought, 'Given that restaurant was already wired for camera and microphone. And high quality at that. At we had to do was tap into the communications lines, undetected. And with my skill, and the skills I taught my children, that was child's play.'

Ed continued, “And our work finally paid off. We did notice how you were acting the morning you were introduced to Revy and the girls. You immediately came to the diner, and you were shaking like a tree in the wind. Only the writer would be that freaked out at such an otherwise calm meeting with beautiful women. That, and the picture of you three, confirmed that you were the writer. After you escaped, the girls had their private meeting about you, in the hotel restaurant. They compared notes, and they figured out where you were heading.”

Ed mischievously, as she stated, “And we watched, and heard it all.”

Lee winced, as he asked, “How were their reactions?”

Ed answered, “Mixed. They are not happy about what you did to them in the time loop. Yes. We all know about that. But, they seemed to be settling on a less than lethal, or personality destructive, revenge against you.”

Lee maintained his poker face, as he thought, with worry, 'Damn. Everyone, even the Lowe family, knows about the time loop. This is very bad. Still, from what these kind women here are telling me. The girls are not planning to go scorched Earth on my ass. Though, I do not want the Lowe family to worry on my account.' Lee stated, “That is comforting.”

Bob mentioned, “Well, all of them, except Roberta. She wants your head on a pike. And we know she, and Fabiola, are in this reality, at this point in time, on this planet, somewhere in Mars Dome One.”

Lee thought, 'I do have a few questions concerning the maids.' He questioned, “I admit that Roberta here is not good for anyone. But, how does Fabiola figure into this situation? Is she as pissed off at Roberta? Or, is she there to reign Roberta in?”

Bob answered, “From what we understand, Fabiola is here, at Roberta's own request, to keep Roberta from harming anyone else that does not deserve it. Though, she wants your ass just as much as Roberta. She is just more polite about it. And you have our sympathies, Lee.”

Lee calmly stated, “Bob, I appreciate that. And I freely admit to making my bed on that one. After I get my cancer cured, the next jump is to the Lovelace home, in the Black Lagoon anime reality I wrote about. A week after Roberta and Fabiola first left to find me. So, I do not cause a paradox.”

“When I get there. I plan to personally go to Garcia, and beg for his forgiveness for what I did to him. I will ask how I can make it up to him. I might end up a servant there, for a while. But, it would be worth it to get off of Roberta's shit list.”

The Lowe family all nodded in agreement, as Bob replied, “No argument there.”

Lewis said, “Speaking of that time loop. I am happy we took the day off to have fun at the festival, as a family.”

Stan agreed, “Yes. Twenty years of having a family day out was fun. Though, I don't think any of us fully remember it. Though, I do recall that Stan and I sometimes went to the festival in different genders combinations.”

Lewis spoke up, “Yes. Sometimes we went as brothers. Sometimes sisters. Sometimes as a brother and sister, whom swapped roles during the loops. Still, I wonder why we kept choosing differently. You would think that with a time loop, that it would be the same choose every time.”

Lee spoke up, “Let me guess, you choose which gender you went as for the day on a lark?”

Stan said, “Yes.”

Lewis commented, “That would be the case.”

Lee explained, “The night before the last time loop, Rock confronted me. She realized we were in a time loop, and she let slip that she was starting to get a sense of deju vu due to all the time looping. At the subconscious level, you both probably realized at some point that you had been a boy, or a girl, in the time loop, during the previous day in the time loop, and you both decided to go out to the festival as the other gender.”

The sisters nodded, as Stan said, “That makes sense.”

Lee stated, “This was one of the reasons I got serious about stopping the time loops. And I was able to do so, though I am not allowed to say how.”

Ed commented, “We can guess. And if it someone that powerful, we do not want to be on their radar.”

Lee coyly replied, “I am neither confirming, nor denying your comment. Though, I would agree, that if that is the case, it would be best to avoid such people.”

Bob inquired, “We agree on that. So, are you really dying of cancer? And that was the reason you allow us all to be the time loop for over twenty years.”

Lee honestly answered, “Yes. I am dying of cancer. And since I didn't start the time loop, I saw not responsibly in stopping it. I saw it as an opportunity to live a little. Enjoy the time I had, as it were. And the moment I realized that people were starting to barely remember enough to mentally suffer from repeating a day over and over again, I worked to stop the loop.”

Ed stated, “We realize that. And given your situation, you did nothing wrong. And I look forward to remembering that day. Family outings for us have always been pleasant. And at a deep level I feel these outings were no different.”

Bob said, “We will get Ranma to give us some of that magic smoke, from her magic lamp, later.” She thought, 'After we figure out how to ask Ranma, without tipping that we listened in and watched their conversation with River, in the hotel restaurant. Though, that should not be difficult, given I have three geniuses to rely on. Still, we might wait a week, back in Plata Podrido, for things to die down. Before we ask Ranma about it, in a discreet manner.'

Lee commented, “So, that is how they remember. Given everything Ranma has been through. Mostly before I wrote about her. I would not be surprised that Ranma would have something, on hand, to restore memories with.”

Bob deadpanned, “No kidding.”

All five adults chuckled, for a few seconds.

As they all calmed down, Ed stated, “Lee, I know you are in a bind. And there is not much we can do for you. But never forget, you have friends among those you wrote about. We exist. It is just that our hands are tied at the moment. Though, we will pray for you.”

Lee said, “Thank you, Ed, Bob, Stan, and Lewis. I will take help any way I can get it. But, I would prefer any direct help you can give me.”

Ed sadly stated, “As I said. Sorry, no can do.”

Lori commented, “I would recommend hiding near a wormhole. Like I did, by living in DS9. But you wrote that, and the girls read about it. So, that idea is a nonstarter.”

Lee stated, “I know. I dismissed that idea as a possible escape tactic, almost immediately. Because the girls would already look for that trick. Besides, B and Balalaika are with them. And B was the one to give you that idea. Well, I gave that idea to B to give to you. But, get the idea.”

Lori let out a little giggle. She smiled, as she said, “Yea. I do.”

Ed commented, “That is the point. As you can guess. We are already skating thin ice as it is, by being here. We do not want to upset B, nor her girlfriend, Balalaika. But, if you survive and resolve your all issues with the girls, you are more the welcome to come over to our home, in any reality.”

Lee thought, with mild happiness, 'That is a kind offer. I never had a standing off of being welcome to someone's home like that.' He said, in a kind tone of voice, “Thank you, again. And I completely understand you not wanting to anger those two. Which, I likely have.”

Bob commented, “Those two are not as bad as you think they are. You have to really piss them off to worry about them. I will be honest, you have come close, but they are no that upset with you. Hell, we met most of the members of Hotel Moscow, on occasion, from time to time. Including a few cookouts. Most of them are decent people, like Melvin.”

Lee thought, 'Since they tapped the hotel restaurant, it makes sense they know about Melvin. And it goes without saying they will keep Melvin's secret. So, I don't have to worry about that.' He responded, “Okay. That is nice to know. Still, I want you to know that I had no intention of gender bending the members of Hotel Moscow, except B.”

Stan stated, “We know. That is all on them.”

Lewis commented, “Though, their reasons are understandable.”

Lee turned to Bob, as he inquired, “Speaking of which, Bob are you?...”

Bob interrupted, “Locked a woman. Yes. I locked a few years ago. But, it is okay. Though, I did not enjoy my first period, but I have gotten use to that monthly visitor.”

Lee winced, as he said, “Sorry about that.”

Bob commented, “Hey you didn't invent human female biology. So, it is not your fault. Also, the same genes that make me a girl also made me immune to jusenkyo magic. And though it is tempting to try to body-swap with Ed. Swapping our souls, and using the instant man powder while in her body, it is just not worth a cheap thrill to risk our very souls.”

Lee said, in a firm tone of voice, “I agree. It is not worth the risk.”

Bob pointed out, “Good. But, you did bend the biology as far as you could without breaking it. I think that is one of the reasons River likes you.”

Lee asked, “You know River?” He thought, 'This could be very good for all of us.'

Stan stated, “Yea. She even babysat us when we were just kids.”

Lee eyes widened, as he thought, 'That is more of an answer than I expected.' He replied, “Really? I did not write that.”

Lewis said, “Yep. And it seems a lot of stuff has happened that you didn't write about. It kind out points out that you are not as responsible for as much of our lives are you may think you are.”

Lee stated, “That is nice to know. And do not take this the wrong way. I respect both River and your guys. And I think River has come a long way with her regaining her sanity. But, at the time Stan and Lewis where children, River was more of the insane part of the scale, than sane.” Lee continued, in a voice of disbelief, and annoyance, So, Ed, Bob, why did you intrust a lunatic with the welfare of your children?”

Lee saw Ed and Bob remain visibly calm.

Ed calmly said, “I admit that you have a point there. Though, you are only partly correct. River is almost completely sane now. Though, back then, when she started getting better. She was much saner most people gave her credit for. Including, her brother and friends. But, Bob and I realized that she was saner than the other believed, and we wanted to give her a chance.”

“Being with Bob, I have seen most of the fiction she likes, so I can understand where you are coming from with your information. Given the Firefly series, I am not going to fault you for what you do not know.”

“The short answer, as you stated, with being around Sam, who is River, is that you realize that River got her sanity back for the most part. It seems after the events of the Serenity movie, having Chang as a steady relationship, and learning to control her telepathy with Annie's help, she had regained her sanity years ago.”

Lee thought, 'So, Annie has a hand in helping River, as well. That is good to know. And if it was that so far ago. That means they are likely good friends. That does explain while they were so friendly with each other, when they worked together, to seal Jack away in Revy's mind.'

Ed continued, “Afterward, River expressed an interest in trying to show everyone that she had her sanity back. Which was not easy, but Annie vouched for her on that matter, and we gave her a chance. She has since proven herself to be responsible. She even seems to like children. And River and I are both among the few people that can talk to each other at a genius level. As such, she is a good friend of mine.”

Bob stated, “We are River's plan B. She just does not realize it. We knew she was Sam and we did our best to avoid River. At one point, we even warned her to avoid the diner. Our plan being to provide you with a quiet place to think. Which worked.”

“And if need be, we would also subtly direct you in a plan of action in escaping. If we had known the maids had come to town, earlier, we would have acted more directly sooner.”

Lee said, “Good. That is good planning on your parts. So, you are planning to help me. Just not directly.”

Bob replied, “Exactly.” She then pulled something from her left side pants pocket, and she tossed Lee the item.

Lee caught it, and he saw that it a set of keys and a clicker on a keyring.

Lee thought, 'These have got to be the keys to the black car the Lowe family are standing in front of. Now, this is a gift.'

Lee quickly looked back over at the Lowe family.

Bob stated, “This car behind us is brand new. Not stolen. It is an automatic. With anti-lock breaks. So, do drive like a maniac, like that time when you took the Lagoon's red GTO for a spin.”

Lee could not help but smile wickedly, as he recalled the time he was in that chase, and played chicken in the GTO, with Rock, Revy, Lotton, Sawyer, and Shenhua, were inside. With four of the five women being so drunk they were laughing like hyenas almost during the entire time.

Bob noticed Lee's smile, as she commented, “Yea. That time.”

Lee continued to smiling, as he retorted, “You are one to talk.”

Bob returned Lee's smile, as she stated, “True. Anyway, this car has a full tank. Or, more accurately, it has a recharged battery. A radio. And a GPS system. That is as much help as we can give you. But, you now have wheels to find a place to hide, and reality jump from. Without them tracking you.”

Lee quickly put the keyring into his left, outside coat pocket, as he said, “Thank you.”

Bob mentioned, “Oh. And one other thing. Here.”

Bob pulled out something from her from right side pants pocket. She walked up to Bob, and she handed the item to him.

As Lee took the item in his hands, he saw that it was device with a wrist band on it.

Lee then realized what it was. He looked a back up the Lowe family, as he inquired, with curiosity and cautious excitement in his tone of voice, “Is this what I think it is?”

Meanwhile, Bob had walked back over to her family, with her turning back around to face Lee.

Bob smirked towards Lee, as she said, “Blue skies over Mars, babe. Blue skies over Mars. The rest is up to you. Good luck.”

Lee grinned, as he said, “I see the jokes never quit. And thanks.”

Bob happily responded, “What is life without a little humor. And you're welcome.”

Lee looked down at his hands, as he swiftly pulled back the sleeve of the arm he had his digital watch on. He then put around that wrist, beside the watch, with the watch between the device and his hand. Next, he rolled his sleeve back down over his wrist, to cover both the device and his watch.

Lee looked up at the Lowe family, as he thought, 'Now, that I think about it. I do have another question for them.' Lee inquired, “By the way, how were you able to handle those eighteen hour shifts every day?”

Bob answered, “Time dilation. We were actually spent nine hours. Our work day began at six AM. When we went to our break, we then teleported to our home Plata Podrido, at the beginning of our shift that day, and rested, then we came back, to work, when we left. At midnight, we went back in time, to our home in Plata Podrido, when we began that shift, and rested until six AM the next day, for our next shift.”

Ed mentioned, “Though, we were careful not to be seen by those outside of our family, in two places at once. And we got our groceries, and other items, from Mars.

Lee replied, “Okay. That makes sense.”

Lee thought, “There is something else I need to also say to Ed.'

Lee turned his attention towards Ed, as he commented, in a sincere tone of voice, “Ed, I have meaning to tell you. If we ever met. That I want to apologize for making you grow up and have a family.”

Ed warmly smiled towards Lee, as she flatly stated, “Lee, I am not Peter Pan. I did want to grow up. I love being an adult, and a parent. What you did, no one else would do for me. You have my eternal gratitude.”

Lee returned Ed's smile, as he replied, with relief evident in his tone of voice, “That is wonderful to hear.” Lee looked over at the brothers, turns sisters, as he said, “Stan, Lewis, sorry about the mood altering issues of you girl forms.”

Both of the younger women smiled at Lee.

Lewis explained, “We found some medication that works. And we can sneeze back and forth for at least the next forty-five years, or so. Likely longer. So, no issues there.”

Stan added, “And it is kinda fun being the crazy redhead, sometimes. Especially, when we can control when and where experience being in such states.”

Both sisters then started giggling.

As the two sisters calmed down, Stan then questioned, “Though, one more question. Revenge of the Nerds?”

Lee shrugged, as he casually replied, “I needed names that fit your character profiles. Please, don't judge me.”

The entire Lowe family just laughed, in response to Lee's comment.

A few seconds later, as the Lowe family calmed down. Ed then used her right hand to pull out a reality device from her right pants pocket. She said, “Come on girls, let's go home, to our Mars.”

The Lowe family then grouped together a bit more closely, and Lee watched as Ed used the device, with the Lowe family returning their home on the Mars of the Cowboy Bebop reality.

Lee grinned, as he thought, 'There goes one of my success stories. Literally.'

Lee let out a small laugh. He then continued his thoughts, 'I wonder if this is what it feels like to be a parent. Still, if I don't get out of here, I will never to have the chance to find out.'

Lee pulled out the keyring, with keys and clicker to the car, from his coat pocket. He used the clicker to check to make sure it worked. Both locking and then unlocking the doors.

Lee then walked over to the left side driver's door. He opened the door, and got into the front seat. And he found that the women had already adjusted the driver's car seat, and the steering wheel, steering column, and rearview windows, to Lee's height and size.

Lee smirked, as he thought, 'The Lowe family really are geniuses. Even Bob, in her own way. Now, lets' get out of here. And I know in which direction I am going. This is the southern part of the city. I am going south, to the outer loop. Then, I will go counterclockwise, around Mar Dome One, to the north end. Where I am going to find a quiet, private place to reality teleport.'

Lee then shut the door behind himself, buckled himself to the seat, and he inserted the key into the ignition to start the engine.

As the car engine started, given it was a dark outside. Even though there were street lights. The sensors on the car caused the running lights to come on, the front lights came on, and interior lights of the dash board to come on.

Lee also noticed the GPS touchscreen that came up on the center of the console. But, he did not worry about that, for the moment.

Lee check to make sure that the fuel gauge was full. Which it was. He made sure the high-beams were not one. Which they were not.

Given the vehicle’s front side was pointed out of the parking space, Lee just checked both ways, then put the car into driver, and drove out of the parking space, and towards down the aisle, away from the convention center.

Lee was soon on the road, by the parking lot, and he was heading towards the nearest highway, at the speed limit. Which was he noted was in kilometers, but so was the odometer in Lee's new car.

Soon, Lee was heading out of the interior of the city, and to freedom.

(_)

Twenty minutes later, back inside the W.E. Convention Center, inside a hallway, on the eastern side of the building, the five women inside the building, whom were after Lee, were walking together, as they finally came to the same conclusion.

Akira stated, “We lost him.”

Akira, Violin, Natsuru, Aeryn, and Ranma, then came to a stop. The five women turned and looked at each other.

Ranma commented, “I don't think we ever had him. Do you think that vendor sent us on a wild goose chase to help, Lee?”

Natsuru answered, “Possible. But, why would he?”

Akira said, “I wouldn't hold it against him, either way. And we got something from that dealer, at a good price. So, I am not complaining.”

Violin commented, “Well, the only thing we can do now, it head back to our cars, and start from square one in our search for Lee.”

Akira held up one of the bags, with their blu-ray boxsets of series, as she stated, “At least we can put these things in our car, now. They are getting kind of heavy.”

Natsuru just shrugged, as she thought, 'Well, not for me. Having superhuman strength and stamina has its advantages...' She cracked a grin, as she continued her thoughts, 'Especially, in bed... Still, I am not going to mention that to Akira. It might hurt her feelings.'

Aeryn pulled out her encrypted radio. She pressed the talk button, as she stated, “We lost the writer.”

On the other end, Rock asked, “How did you lose him?”

Aeryn looked over at the other women, as she stated, “I will let the other explain. After we leave our current location. That way you can yell at them, to your hearts content.”

On the other end, Revy asked, “How bad is it?”

Aeryn coyly answered, “Let us just say that Lee know how to play people.” She then put up her radio, and turned to the four other women. She stated, “Okay. Let's go back to the cars. Then, you can explain to Rock, how we lost Lee.”

Akira and Natsuru deflated, as all five women then turned and headed back to the south entrance to the building, and to their cars, which were parked, in the parking lot, outside of that side of the building.

(_)

Around two hours later, Lee drove northwest, on the northeastern part of outer loop highway of Mars Dome One, in a counterclockwise direct.

The highway was eight lanes wide. four lanes going in each direction, with offer ramps being used to enter and leave the highway. There was a concrete divider between the two oncoming lanes of traffic.

Give the traffic drove on right side of the road, Lee was in the inner most lane of the outer side of the highway loop.

Lee was presently searching for a place to jump realities.

The highway was not very busy, though there were a number of car on the road, both coming and going. And the speed limit was reasonable for the highway they were on.

In the time since leaving the convention center, Lee had learn how to work the global positioning satellite, GPS, navigational system, located on the monitor in the middle of the cars front dash board. It was a touch screen, and the text was in english.

Lee was not worry about someone tracking him, considering the only ones after him were Revy and the others, and not the police.

The GPS system showed that the outer highway itself was a gigantic loop around the city of Mars Dome One.

Though, Lee also kept the radio off, to keep himself from being distracted.

The highway was eight lanes wide, with four lanes for those going one way, and the other lanes went the other direction. With vehicles driving on the right side of the road.

There was a concrete and steel divider that ran along the middle of the road, separating the oncoming lanes of traffic. Though, there was no fence between the outer side of the loop, which Lee was on, and the flat red soil beside the road. Lee just chalked that up to lack of budging to put up a fence on that side. Though, there was a fence on the interior side of the highway loop, facing the city, itself.

Also, the highway was much like an interstate highway, in that there were no traffic lights, nor stop signs on the road. There were only entry onto and exit ramps off the highway.

And at points in the highway, where it split off to other highways, this including ramps going into road tunnels, under the city itself. And there was a minimum speed limit on the highway, though the minimum limit was far below the maximum speed limit on the highway.

There were street lights line both sides of the road, providing plenty if illumination, long with the car lights that were on, from all the cars on the road.

This allowed Lee to drive with his shades on.

As Lee drove, he noticed that while the outer side of the loop highway, around the city, it did not actually run along side dome wall of the city.

The Dome of Mars Dome One was actually bigger than Lee had originally thought it was.

From the street lights, along with light from the city, the light flooding in, though the domes panels and Mars two oval moons, Deimos and Phobos, Lee could see that there was huge stretches of flat, barren red soil.

The red soil stretched from the outer side of the highway loop, to the wall of the dome, itself. The red soil went on for between one to three miles, before the soil hit the outer dome wall.

In some places along the dome wall, there were huge factory complexes built into the dome walls, where natural resources from outside the dome, from other parts of Mars, were brought, and refined. Before the resources were sent off-world, at various spaceports.

Though, since Lee was not planning on getting off the highway, anytime soon, he drove in the lane closest to the highway divider.

As Lee continued to drive, he thought, 'Now, were would I want to hide. I have been on this loop for about an hour and a half. When I got the car, I immediately drove south, until I hit this highway loop, and I immediately started going east, because I was in the southern part of the dome. Now, I am on the northeastern part of the dome, and I am going northwest, towards the northern most part of the dome.'

'At least the signs are in english. And the traffic is light. Also, the speed limit is a hundred and twenty kilometers an hour. That is just under seventy miles and out. And this car has cruise control.'

'If I am right. Presently, the southern part of the city is where Revy and the others will concentrate their search for me. So, I am going to the northern most part of the dome, and reality jump from there. With them look, it will be far enough away there their tracking equipment will not pick me up.'

'From the GPS map, I should reach the northern most point of this highway loop within fifteen to twenty minutes. Once I get there, I will get off at the next exit, and head as far north as possible. I will then ditch the car, and reality jump.'

Just then, Lee noticed a car driving on the inside lane of the oncoming side of the highway, to his left side, on the other side the concrete divider, between his car and the other car.

Lee recognized the car too late, at it was the red GTO car that belonged to the Lagoon family.

Lee thought, with worry, 'You have got to be kidding me.'

A second later, their two cars passed by each other, with the concrete divider being the only thing between then,

Lee saw Rock driving, with Revy beside her. And Shenhua, Lotton, and Sawyer sitting in the backseat.

Unfortunately, right before they passed by, Revy turned her head towards him. With Lee seeing recognition in her eyes, while Revy saw recognition on Lee's face.

A second later, the two cars fully passed each other.

But, Lee knew he was too late. He had just been spotted.

Lee immediately push the gas peddle down a little further on his car, but he did not floor it, as he thought, 'Damn it! The only thing I hate more than being right, is being wrong. I still have a chance to lose them. It is going to take them at least a minute to get back here, by exiting an off-ramp, and re-entering the highway, on this side. I just have to get off of this highway, at the next exit, and drive deeper into the city, to lose them.'

(_)

A few seconds ago, on the same highway, in the Lagoon family's red GTO car.

As Rock drove the vehicle, Revy sat beside her lover, in the right front passengers side.

In the back of the car, from left to right, stat Shenhua, Lotton, and Sawyer.

None of the women were in a very good mood, after they heard how Lee had lost Akira, Natsuru, Ranma, Aeryn, and Violin.

Though, Shenhua was feeling a bit of poetry to the situation, as she said, “I find it funny what Aeryn told us by radio. That Lee used Akira and Natsuru's fangirl tastes against them, to stall, and lose, all five of them.”

Lotton commented, “You have to admit that it was brilliant plan, which was thought up on the spot. Par for course for Lee.”

Rock kept in front of her, on the road, as she stated, “And that live action series. To think that there is one version that is so long. Over five hundred episodes, not including the films made of that series.”

Revy commented, “Well, when we have time, Rock, we are going to see it. Just as soon as we deal with Lee.”

Sawyer commented, “But at this point, I doubt we are going to find him.”

Suddenly, they passed by a black car, on the other side of the concrete divider, Revy turned towards the car. She saw the driver's face, with his shades on. From his facial expression, she could tell that she recognized the man, at same time as he recognized her, and the other women in the car. And there was only one man, outside their group, on Mars Dome One, that would recognize them.

Revy yelled, “It's Lee! He just passed by us, in that black car!” She turned to Rock, to her left side, as she stated, “Turn around, Rock! We can still catch him!”

Rock saw the Lee car moving away from them, in her rearview mirrors. She then focused in front of them, as she stated, “We cannot do a u-turn. There are to many cars to drive the wrong way, and the highway divider prevents getting on getting into the coming lanes.

Rock then saw an exit sign, as she smiled. She continued, “But, we could be able to exit the highway, turn around, and enter the other lane, in about thirty seconds.”

Revy said, “Do it.”

Shenhua asked, “How did Lee get a car?”

Sawyer commented, “It doesn't matter. What does matter is that we found him.”

Lotton agreed, “Correct.” She then pulled out and used her encrypted radio. She pressed the talk button, as she stated, “We found Lee. But, we cannot immediately chase him. We are on the northeastern side of doom, on the outer highway loop. Lee is heading to the northwest. To all those in the area, Lee is driving in a black car.”

A female voice, on the other end of the radio, said, “Don't worry. We see him. And we got him.”

(_)

On the other side of the highway, a mile from the GTO, and its occupants, Lee was driving at a slightly faster speed than the speed limit allowed.

Lee mentally berated himself, 'I did not take into account that they would bring their vehicles with them. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. Now, I have to gamble going slightly over the speed limit is like back in the U.S., were if you are not going too fast over the limit, most of the time the police will ignore you. With people allowed to go faster, as long as they are not going ten over.'

Lee then saw the side for the next exit, as he mentally grumbled, 'And just my luck that the next exit into the city is ten kilometers away. And it is through a tunnel intersection.'

Lee then looked around and he noticed that there were no cars in front, or behind him. He though, 'Well, at least I don't have to worry about hitting anyone. It is just that Revy is going to have a clear field of fire when they turn around.'

'I could got onto the red soil. But, there is almost nothing out that way, but a very solid wall, in an even more open field of fire.'

'Though, either way, I have got to get off this highway, before they come back.'

Suddenly, he precognition scream for him to take off the cruise control, while rolling down the hood of his car.

As Lee did so, he thought, 'Thought too soon.'

When his car roof have completely folded into the back of the car, and the windows were rolled down, he risked a quick look behind him, from his right shoulder. What Lee saw caused his jaw drop in surprise.

In formation, were three very familiar, and very different, zipcraft, of the Bebop crew.

In the lead was the Stingray II, piloted by Spike. Behind, and two her back, and to the left was the Rail Tail, piloted by Faye. And to Spike's back and to the right was Jetta in her Hammerhead.

Lee composed himself, as he turned back to the face the road. He used his car door controls to move the two side mirror to look at the three zipcraft behind him, in the air. Next, he moved his center rearview mirror up to where he could also use that mirror to see the three zipcrafts behind him, in the air.

Lee mentally screamed, 'Great they didn't just bring their cars, Faye, Spike, and Jet... ta... Brought their zipcraft with them. Now, I got to deal with an air force. And I don't even have a gun! Okay. Think. What do I have? I have my wits, my cards, and a GPS system... Which is a map... And then there are the exits up ahead... I can still turned this around.'

Lee held his left hand firmly on the steering wheel. He then used his right hand to quickly punched up the dashboard monitor touchscreen, as the GPS system came on. He divided his attention between the straight road in front of him, and the GPS map, as he started looking at the map of the road in front of him. He soon saw what he was looking for.

Lee thought, 'Yes. You may have the air. But, fortunately, where I am heading, I can use that to my advantage. If I play my cards right, I will only end up having to deal with only one of you. And that I can handle with this car.'

Instantly, Lee precognition again warned him, he looked as his rearview mirrors to see the Stingray beginning a strafing run.

Lee moved his car to his right, onto the nearby lane, just in time to avoid the bullets hitting the road.

With the car mirrors, Lee saw that the Hammerhead was coming in right behind the Stingray.

Lee thought, 'I have to time this just right.”

Using his precognition, Lee moved his vehicle into the lane he had previously been in, just before The Hammerhead fired its harpoon gun, missing Lee's car. The harpoon bounced off the road, with the zipcraft quickly reeling in its empty hook.

Next, was the Red Tail, which Faye fired a few grenades in the distance in front of Lee, as warning shoots.

Lee's precognition told him not to worry, so he just ignored the shots, as he continued driving through the smoke the shots created from the road.

Lee smirked, as he mischievously thought, 'Now, to piss them off, and get them to do what I want them to do.' He gripped his steering wheel with his right hand.

For the next few seconds, Lee held his left arm, and he gave them a left-handed, middle finger salute.

He then lower his hand, as he headed for where he hoped he could lose them.

Lee then saw that about a mile down the road he was one going to divide into two, two lanes roads, on each side. On the side Lee was on, the interior two lands, including the one Lee was on, was going into a tunnel system, the other outer two lanes continued to run the outer loop highway. On the incoming lanes, opposite to the lanes Lee was in, the two lanes coming out of the tunnel, on the interior side, merged with the two outer loop lanes to create a four lane section of highway.

Lee thought, 'Now, I just need to hope they do what I expect them to do, in chasing me.'

(_)

At the moment, up in the air, behind Lee's car, Faye commented in the radio, “The driver just gave us the bird.”

On the radio, Revy said, “Yep. That's Lee.”

Over the radio, Jetta commented, “Arrogant bastard.”

Over the radio, Rock said, “Don't underestimate him. Everything he does is for a reason.”

Faye inquired, “What do you mean? He is literally, just a pasty face otaku. What threat could he be?”

Over the radio, Rock stated, in a serious tone of voice, “That is what he wants you to think. He knows a lot about us. And he will use everything he knows against us. The little details could mean the difference between victory and defeat. Also, he spent twenty years in a time loop learning all sorts of things. And he out played River in that poker game.”

Faye commented, “Considering they are friends, I think she threw that game for him.”

Jetta pointed out, “It does not matter. We still got him.”

From her radio, Revy ordered, “Remember, we want Lee alive, and conscious. And mostly unharmed, so we can harm him.”

Spike said, “We will keep that in mind.”

Faye stated, “He is heading into a tunnel system. I am patching into the local GPS grid. And this gift from Ed for my Red Tail is very nice. Anyway, the map is coming up... Guys, the tunnels down there are a rat maze, with several exits.”

Jetta complimented, “Not bad. He thinks he can lose us. Okay. Who wants to play cat to his mouse, in this maze?”

Spike and Faye said, in unison, “I will.”

Spike pointed out, “I am the better pilot.”

Faye admitted, “Okay.”

Jetta ordered, “Faye, you and I will fly up, and keep a bird's eye view of the situation. I want you to go to the far end, to the north part of the exits. I will go to the far end, to the south of those exits, on this part of the city. If Spike loses him. We can still find him. Just keep you eyes pealed for that black car.”

Faye replied, “On it.” She mentally added, 'And with our enhanced eyesight, this will be easier than you think, Jet.'

Jet and Faye piloted their zipcraft to their assigned locations.

A few moments later, Lee had entered a tunnel section of the highway system.

A few seconds at Lee entered the tunnel system, Spike skillfully piloted the Swordfish into the tunnel, after Lee.

(_)

A few seconds ago, just before Lee entered the tunnel, he saw in his mirrors, he watched as Jetta and Faye broke off their pursuit, while Spike follow him into the tunnel system.

Lee thought, with delight, 'Yes. This is what I wanted. Cowboy, or now, cowgirl, I knew Spike would be the one coming after me in the Stingray. Ironically, I could not pulled off this next trick, if it was the Red Tail, or the Hammerhead. Now, I just have to slow down slightly, so she catches up to me at just the right time.'

Lee slowed down a few miles, from the speed at which he had previously been going.

The Stingray closed in on Lee's car even faster than before.

Just then, Lee a fork in the road where the two lanes split into a, Y, road formation, where two lanes branched to Lee's left, and two lanes branched out to Lee's right.

The Stingray was just about to reach Lee, just as he took the left road.

Suddenly, Lee saw in his rearview mirrors that the Stingray follow him in the forked road. He smiled wickedly, as he thought, 'And this is what I learned from watching, Spaceballs. Bwahahahaha!'

Lee slammed the brakes, with the Stingray overshooting him.

When Lee came to a stop, Lee put the car into reverse, and he floored the gas pedal, as he looked behind himself, to make sure he did not hit anyone. Fortunately, he was clear.

When he backtracked to the fork in the road, he put his car into drive gear, and he drove into the right fork in the road.

Lee then saw that he was in a straight away in the tunnel for about a minute. He turned his attention back to the GPS touchscreen. As he used the device, he thought, 'The Stingray is build for speed, not maneuverability. Especially not tight turning. Like the Red Tail and Hammerhead are designed for.'

'Now, where do I want to go when I get out of this tunnel system, and back to the surface road? I need to make a stand, and lose them in the confusion. The question is where?...'

Lee used the fingers on his right hand to have the touchscreen map show him where he would exit on the road he was in, and he saw where he wanted to go, nearby the exit, on the surface.

Lee thought, 'Ah, that place will do. And it is close by where I will exit out this tunnel'

Lee noticed the exit number he needed to take.

Lee then turned his attention back to the road in front of him, as he made sure to follow the signs to the exit number he wanted to go to.

(_)

Meanwhile, as the Stingray cruised down the left fork in the tunnel, Spike cursed into the radio, “Shit! I overshot him! He slammed the brakes just as I followed him through a fork in the road. He then backed up, and went the other way. And it is too tight in here for me to turn around, and follow him. And the bastard likely knows that!”

On the radio, Revy stated, “Told you.”

On the radio, Jetta asked, “Which way did he go?”

Spike answered, “He took the right side?... North. I should exit this tunnel system in about minute myself.”

Over the radio, Jetta ordered, “Faye. Lee should be coming your way. Keep an eye out. I am going to stick around here. This guy is slippery than an eel. We are not taking any more chances.'

On the radio, Faye replied, “I understand.'

A few seconds later, the Stingray safely exited the tunnel system, with no problems, and Spike was back in the air.

(_)

A few minutes later, as the Red Tail hovered in the air, inside the ship, from her cockpit seat, Faye saw Lee's black car come out of one of the tunnel exits she was looking at.

Faye stated, over her radio, “I found him. He is just took an exit off from the outer loop highway, towards the dome wall.”

Over the radio, Jetta warned, “It is clear he is heading somewhere. Can you stop him?”

Faye answered, “Yes.”

On the radio, Jetta flatly responded, “Then, do it.”

Faye sarcastically replied, “Yes, mommy.”

Spike giggled over the radio.

Jetta retorted, over the radio, “You are one to talk, Spike.”

On the radio, Spike admitted, “Yes, I am.”

(_)

At the moment, as Lee took the off-ramp, on a dirt road heading parallel with the dome wall to the north end of the city, north of the highway loop.

Lee saw from his rearview mirrors, the tail lights of the Red Tail heading right for him.

Lee thought, 'Ah, here comes, Faye. I knew it was likely I was going to face one of them. But, I can handle, Faye. If I am correct, she will swing around in front of me, and hover in my path. With her hoping that I will stop, or she will shoot. I am sure she is not bluffing, and she would shoot me. But, all I got to do is time this right. I don't have to wait for the exit. I am now on a dirt road right beside flat red soil. I can just drive on that, if I need to.'

A few seconds later, Faye brought the Red Tail around in front of Lee, and hovered about fifty feet in front of him.

Lee smirked, as he thought, 'Looks like I am right. Now, to time this.'

Lee used his precognition to time his attack just right.

As Lee came within thirty feet, he slowed down, just as he turned on the high-beams, temporally blind Faye.

Lee immediately turned to his left, onto the red soil, heading north, as he head for his destination.

After Lee straightened his car out, he turned off the high-beams, so those in the direct he heading towards, would not so easily see him coming.

As Lee drove, red dust was kicked up in his wake.

Lee thought, 'Now, if I am right. The windows of the Red Tail are not designed for sudden light bursts. Though, they will transition to handle to shield for light of the sun, in space. Sort of like how nightvision to nor vision works. And given Faye has the super-soldier serum. She should be fine.'

(_)

At that moment, inside the cockpit of the Red Tail, Faye yelled, “That bastard used his high-beams to blind me!”

Over the radio, Jetta asked, “Are you okay?”

Faye said, “I should be. I am hovering over the ground right now. So, now worries about crashing.”

With her radio, Rock inquired, “Did you have the super-soldier serum, Faye?”

Faye answered, “Yes.”

On her radio, Rock stated, “Then, your sight will fully return in about ten minutes. Now, were you able to tell which way Lee went?”

Faye answered, “Yes. When is heading for a large industrial complex located on wall of the dome, to the north.”

Over the radio, Rock ordered, “Okay Faye. Stay where you are. I can see where he is going from here. That is a huge factory complex. I can guess he plans to lose us in there. We need to group up, and find him together. Where exactly are you, Faye?”

As Faye could tell that her sight was returning, she answered, “Before Lee blinded me, the GPS said I am on a dirt road, right off of exit ten, on the northeastern side of the highway loop, just on the other side of the loop, opposite from the city.”

On her radio, Rock stated, “Good. Everyone meet up, with Faye. When we do, we will then head for Lee, together.”

As Faye piloted the Red Tail a little higher off the road, as she hovered there, she said, “I agree. That is a good idea, Rock. And it will give me time to get my sight back. And then, we are going to kick that bastard's ass.”

(_)

In his black, four door car, Lee looked at the huge, sprawling industrial complex, that he was driving towards, as he thought, 'Well, since Faye has not followed me. I guess I was correct.'

'Also, given my normal headlights and the background light, around me, I can see the red soil in front of me, fairly well. And I don't see any large rocks, any other other road hazards. So, I am fine for the moment, on that point.'

'Now, I need to find the main road, that enters into this complex. Then, once inside the complex, I need to head for the main control building. Once there, I will figure out the details for the next parts of my plan. And given that most of the lights are off in that place, that place is in shutdown, with, at most a few guards to attend to security.'

Lee then used his car's GPS system to find the main gate.

A minutes later, Lee found the main two lane road leading into the factory complex. When he reached the main gate, which was open, as he drove through it, and entered the interior road system of the factory complex, which was paved.

The factory complex spread for miles, in all directions, with building towering thirty to forty stories high. With most of the lights off on the buildings.

As Lee drove through towards the main control building, listed on his GPS system, near the center of the factory complex, he realized he was heading for the place of his next battle.

(_)

Around the time Lee drove his car into the factory complex, on the ground floor, inside the atrium of the W.E. convention center, the dealer that had aided Lee, was standing behind his table, to the left of his chair. He was stretching his legs, as noticed two young, human, women in maids outfits, walking toward him.

The vender noticed that the two women were walking side beside with each other.

The man saw that both women had long hair which was draped down their shoulders, and back. One had green hair. The other had purple hair. Both of them had their hair held a single, long ponytail.

Also, the purple haired woman has a gold necklace, around her neck. The necklace has a golden cross that was draped across the middle of the her covered chest, over her black long sleeved shirt.

The green haired woman was to the right side of the purple haired woman.

The dealer noted that the directness of their stride showed that they were not to be messed with. And the crowd realized this, as everyone around the two women literally parted for them, while the two women passed by.

As the two women approached the dealer, the man thought, 'Okay. These two are trouble. Though, as long as I am polite, and patient, I should be find. This is not the first time I have dealt with lunatics at these conventions. Though, I have to say that the lunatics at these conventions rarely spare any expense on their costumes. And these two women are no exception to that rule.'

The dealer continued his thoughts, with amusement, 'These places just bring a high class of lunatic than most places. And that is one of the reasons I like coming here.'

When the two woman came to a stop, in front of the table, across from the dealer, man warmly smiled, as he calmly inquired, “And what can I do for you two lovely ladies tonight? By the way, those are nice costumes.'

Both women look at the men, with any sign of expression on their face, nor eyes.

This set the man on edge. Though, he did his best not to show his nervousness.

Meanwhile, those around the three adults, continued the convention as usual, while they ignored what was happening right beside them.

At the dealer's table, in question, the purple haired woman looked across the table, at the dealer's face, as she asked, with forceful intent in her tone of voice, in english, “Did you speak to a black haired, fair skinned man, in a black suit, hat, and sunglasses, earlier tonight? And with you then later speaking to a set of five women? One with black hair, one with dark blue hair, one with blond hair, one with red hair, and one with blue hair. That you sold a copy of an entire series too?”

The dealer answered, “Yes. On both counts. And that was quite a sell. On another matter, you two might want to enter the cosplay contest. I am sure you both would win first place, together. But, the entries for the contest tonight is about to close...'

The dealer did not get a chance to finish, as the purple haired woman used her right hand to grab him by the front of his shirt, and haul him over his table. After his leg slid off the other end of the table. The woman then reversed her direction, as she dragged the man backwards, to where his back was onto the table.

The purple haired woman then leaned over him, from the man's right side, to be face to face the man.

The green haired woman stood a few feet to the dealer's left side, as she calmly gazed down on what was going on.

The people of around just continued to ignored them, With many of those people thinking what was happening was just an act, or some roleplaying that got out of hand.

The purple haired woman's lips curled into a crazy smile, as she bared her teeth at the man. The woman coldly ordered, “You will tell me everything you discussed with the black haired man, and in exchange, I will let you live.”

The green haired woman lean over by the dealer's left ear. She whispered, in a serious tone of voice, in english, “Be warned. We are not pretending. We know you know the Black Lagoon series, so you know who we are. I suggest you talk quickly and honestly. Roberta is not in a good mood, right now.”

The green haired woman then leaned up, and took a few steps away from the dealer, and her friend.

As the dealers processed what the green haired woman said, he stared at the Bloodhound's vicious grin.

A second later, the man's brain fully engaged, as he mentally screamed, 'Oh god have mercy on me! How is it possible?! I am right next to Roberta and Fabiola. And they are pissed off! That smile can not be faked... I just realized. That man was not joking when he said that he was haunted by the Black Lagoon series... Oh shit! The maid are after him... And the sexy women I sold those boxsets too... Oh lord! No wonder that man did not want me to ask them their names. I think I recognize them from other series. Yet, for some strange reason, this happening here, makes so much sense. I might as well tell them what I know, so I can get out of this alive. And I can later call for help.'

The dealer quickly explained, “The man in a black suit came to my booth. We talked about a series of DVD boxsets I was selling. He said he did not have the money to purchase them. Though, he also said that a group of women, with brightly colored hair, like yours, might walk by. And all I had to was tell them about the boxsets, and explain what the series was about. And they would buy the entire series. He then asked me for directions for the nearest exit, and I give him the directions he wanted. That is the last I saw of him. I do not even know the man's name.”

“Anyway, a few minutes after he left, the women he talked about came by. I waved them over, showed them the series, and they bought it with gold. I got the sale, and he got out.”

The dealer thought, 'I am not suicidal enough to tell the Roberta to her face, that I also sent those five women in the opposite direction from the way I sent the man in.'

Roberta growled, in the dealer's face, “What was the series about?”

The dealer gulped. He then said, “The live action Black Lagoon series.”

Fabiola said, “It is just like what they said over the radio.”

Roberta continued looking at the dealer, as she answered, “Yes.”

Roberta then let go dealer, as she turned to her right, towards Fabiola. She dropped her grin, as she stated, “It is time to leave.”

The dealer immediately crawled under his booth, as the two women turned and walked away from him and his merchandise.

With Roberta being to Fabiola's right side. And, as before, the crowd quickly parted for them, as they walked by.

Though, the dealer watched the two maids walked side by side with each other, away from him, as he overheard some of their conversation.

As the two women continued walking, at a comfortable pace, in the directly they came in, from the south, Fabiola asked, “If what the others said is true. Why did you want us to come here, in the first place?”

Roberta answered, “To see if they left anything out, over their enthusiasm of their new prize.”

Fabiola replied, “Oh...”

Roberta pointed out, in a cold tone of voice, “It is clear that the writer used their own tastes against them. This is something we must wary of, when we face him.”

Fabiola said, “I agree. Should we head to the meeting place, of the others, as they plan the raid of the factory complex, where the target has run off into?”

Roberta flatly stated, “No. I do not wish to interfere with their hunt. It is best for us to just hunt with each other, and leave them be. I have learned the hard way that the more hunters after the fox, the easier it is for the fox to escape.”

Fabiola agreed, “Yes. I know what you mean.” She thought, 'You, of all people, would know.'

Roberta commented, “Instead, we will head to where we expect the writer to go next, and laid in wait, nearby.”

Fabiola inquired, “But, where would that be?”

Roberta asked, “If you could not outrun your pursuers, where would you make your stand?”

Fabiola answered, “I would be in a fortress, surrounded by an army. For as little good that would do against us.”

Roberta questioned, “Exactly. And what fortress, with an army inside it, can a civilian enter with little difficulty? And gain at least some help, from the army inside?”

Fabiola was silent for a few seconds. She then realized the answer, as she stated, “Of course. But, there are several such places in this city.”

Roberta inquired, “Which one would be the most obvious one?”

Fabiola said, “The one closest to the factory, in question.”

Roberta responded, “Yes. You are learning, my student.”

Fabiola pointed out, “But, what if they capture the writer?”

Roberta lips curled into a wicked grin, as she answered, “Do not worry. Should they capture the writer, they know better than to deny us a share of the spoils.”

In response to her friend's comment, Fabiola lips curled into a wicked grin, as well.

The dealer then lost sight of the two women in the crowd.

The man thought, 'I lucked out big time. I will stay here for a couple of minutes. Then, I will find a vidphone, and to call for help.'

(_)

Two minutes later, the dealer got up from under his table. Given the security cameras in the room, and the importance of the situation, the dealer did not even worry about his merchandise, as he rushed, in the opposite direction the maids went. He soon found a vidphone, in the near by north hallway, of the convention center.

The dealer held the receiver to his right ear, as he immediately dialed an emergency number, that only a few people on the planet had access to. With the emergency line not requiring a credit chit to use.

As the other end was being connected, the man thought, 'I am glad my boss got back from Minbar, yesterday. It is sad that his friend is dying, but he got to say his goodbyes. And that is the important part. Now, I need to focus on the matter at hand.'

When he got someone on the other end to pick up, he stated, “This is Gregory Anderson, from accounting... I know I am on vacation, but this is important... Tell the boss that we might have a serious situation brewing that needs his immediate attention.”

Gregory Anderson thought, with worry, 'I hope my boss, Michael Garibaldi, CEO of Edgars Industries, can keep a lid on this insanity, before it could literally blow up Mars Dome One, itself...'

To be continued.

up
31 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Almost caught - Twice

Another fast paced chapter. This time with many wild, violent, yet beautiful women chasing him.
First just out for a regular trip around town looking for a good place to leave, then spotted, and chased, not only by car, but by plane, and that's after being chased on foot through the sci-fi convention on Mars, an interesting concept by itself. We might have to give another nickname, something like Cat as he seems to have several lives. I also found out you are several steps ahead, like not going to a wormhole because B first suggested that way of hiding. Great story, keeping us on the edge of our seats. Thanks again.

Correctng a Mistake

After reviewing my comment, I must admit I made a mistake. I referred to a sci-fi convention when it was really an alien sci-fi convention. And that is what made it so cool. I cam imagine seeing aliens walking around in Jedi suits and other recognizable human character costumes and it just boggles the brain. I wish I was there to see it.
Great stuff!!