The Enhanced: TRI - 14

Printer-friendly version
enhanced graphic.jpg
By Diana M. Howe, Edited by Melanie Howe, Cover art by Monica Plant
Copyright © 2004, 2015 by Diana M. Howe
All rights reserved. Except for use in any review, the reproduction
Or utilization of this work in whole or in part in any form by any
Electronic, mechanical or other means, now known or hereafter
Invented, including xerography, photocopying and recording, or in
Any information storage or retrieval system is forbidden without the
express written permission of the copyright holder.

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places and incidents are
Used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead,
business establishments, events or locales is entirely coincidental.


Previously

“Please Frauline, call me Greg. I’m getting tired of all this honorific nonsense.” She smiled again, all sunshine.

“Only if you promise to call me Betina,” she bargained happily with him.

“Agreed then Betina,” he offered her his arm “Now let’s take a look at AERIE, the new home of the Alternative Energy Research Institute, Europe,” Greg urged.


Chapter Fourteen

Swiss Miss
‘The Swiss have always understood the dangers of limited resources.’
Professor Julian Saber

Greg and Betina spent the next 2 hours pleasantly exploring the property and buildings. It was pretty in a lonely sort of way, with the winter birds singing and chattering in the trees. Greg decided that aside from the mill itself, the rest of the warehousing and outbuildings were still solid. Cleaned up and repaired, they would make fine manufactories for the wind power project and would help the local economy at the same time. He glanced over at the young woman and made a decision.

“Betina,” he said, “I need a solid person who is a friend of the environment to be my representative here. Do you know of anyone who might fit the bill and want the job?”

Her eyes widened.

“Are you serious Greg? I really don’t like my job with the realtor, but I must eat you know. I’d take the job in a flash, but don’t you need a lawyer or something?” she asked breathlessly.

“Well I’d really prefer someone that cares enough about the planet rather than someone who cares only about the law. Could you take the job?” Greg smiled warmly. Trish was startled, to say the least.

Hey! Wait a minute Greg, what’s all this about? You don’t even know this girl. At least let me run a check on her,

Trish protested.

I intended to My Love, but I figured if we had a local doing all the set-up here, starting after we move Saber Base out, it’ll draw more focus off of our activities. Besides, I got a very good vibe from her,

Greg answered Trish’s concern candidly.

Going with a gut instinct, eh? Well, I’ll have Solomon do a check and have Hestia do a secondary investigation as well anyway. I think she’s sweet too, but as you always say, let’s be safe,

she admonished him.

Let’s be safe. Dearest Trish, she reminds me of both you and Hestia. I guess that’s why I feel inclined to trust her,

Greg explained.

“You do understand Betina, I’ll have to have a security check run before I can hire you, as I work very closely with governments and such, but I think you’ll pass. The job is yours if you want it. Handshake now with contract to follow shortly,” he held out his hand toward her but she actually squealed, jumped up and hugged him tightly instead.

“Oh yes Doktor! I accept! Thank you, thank you, thank you!” Betina erupted in a whirl of excitement.

“Now Dear, be careful,” he grinned, “I’m old and I might break in half. The job has certain benefits, which will include living on site in a house of similar design to my own in Canada and a generous remuneration and benefits package. But I do expect you to be responsible for overseeing all operations here as well as the hiring of like-minded people to yourself,” Greg continued more seriously.

“Yes Doktor, I can do this,” she was trying her hardest to contain her exuberance and appear quite serious.

“Betina, if I ever hear you call me doctor again, the deal is off. Doc is OK, but Greg is preferred,” he enjoined good humouredly. Betina’s grin was like a solar flare.

“OK Doc,” she acquiesced impishly.

“Cheeky girl,” he teased, “now let’s get down to business. I want you to arrange an auction of the materials on the site for two weeks from now, but certainly take a couple of days to wrap up your old job, and please arrange for three flatbed container rail cars to be on site in three days. My transport team will handle the loading and I will contact you from the conference by the twenty first, OK?” he asked.

“Yes Boss,” she giggled, “and here I thought it was going to be a good day because of the commission I was making on the sale of this land.”

They drove back into the city and after a late lunch, Greg drew several drafts from the AERI accounts for Betina’s use. He left at 5:00pm that day after getting her started on setting up a small office in town.

“You’re to handle the rental and equipment needs Betina and you can reach me at the Best Western Domicil in Bonn,” he instructed. “You’ll have thirty thousand Euros to use, but remember to keep all the receipts. If you need to reach me at the hotel, use the code word Roxanne, as in ‘Roxanne is calling’. I seem to have acquired a stalker in Bonn and I want to keep my personal affairs private. Have a good weekend and keep in touch.”

“Tag Herr Doc. Have a safe trip,” Betina hugged him goodbye.

Greg drove the car back to Bern thoroughly enjoying the trip.

Trish, I really hope everything on that young lady comes back clean,

he thought fondly to her.

I think she’s exactly what she appears to be Darling, a sweet young girl who loves the planet and has a crush on you to boot my dearest man. You seem to have that effect on women,

she smiled inwardly. Greg was so startled that he momentarily lost control of the car.

You’re kidding, right?

He was naturally oblivious when it came to this sort of thing.

You honestly don’t see it do you? I can see I’ll have to keep a close watch on you Sweetheart, or you’ll charm every woman we meet without so much as having an inkling of it. Darling innocent…

she smiled again.

Well I’ll be damned…
Not likely, your halo shines too brightly,

Trish intimated. They both had a great laugh over that and before he knew it, they were boarding the train for Bonn.

Greg had a nap while Trish enjoyed the rushing scenery. All too soon, they were arriving in Bonn and facing a dinner date they couldn’t avoid. They took the tram to the Domicil and went up to the room for a shower. It was 9:00pm when he finally faced the situation and dialled Natalia.

“Good evening Natalia, I hope it’s not too late to call?” asked Greg.

“Greg Darling,” she purred sensuously, “why it’s wonderful to hear you. I’d rather thought I’d been stood up… again. Where would you like to go?”

“Now Natalia, last night was an accident,”

a happy accident

he thought.

“I was rather hoping to sample a chophouse, if that’s agreeable with you,” he suggested.

“Oh you, I was just teasing. A chophouse would be fine and I believe there’s one not too far from your hotel,” Natalia replied laughingly. Trish snorted her amusement.

Teasing huh? We saw how furious you were last night… you conniving vixen!

“I know the one. I’ll meet you there in 10 minutes, OK?” he asked.

“Wonderful Darling, see you soonest.” Natalia was all feigned exuberance and Greg felt like gagging.

They arrived at Amadeus and were seated at the most non-intimate table that Greg could spot. He wanted this evening to go as uncomfortably as possible for Natalia. He refused to make it easy for the bitch to vamp him. He ordered a less than spectacular wine from the sommelier and extra strong bourbon to steel himself for the evening. He planned to play the absent-minded scientist and hick to perfection. Natalia swept in five minutes later and adopted a slight frown when she saw where Greg was seated. Nonetheless, she accepted a seat across from Greg in moments. He had to admit that she looked stunning, but it was a cold calculated beauty, and it gave her an unattractive and steely edge.

“Hello Natalia,” he greeted her without rising. “A pleasure to see you again and sorry about all the confusion but your note to me came as quite a surprise last evening.”

“Charmed Greg, I remembered that you’d mentioned a trip to the continent and I decided to surprise you,” she replied, her smile faltering somewhat.

“That’s so nice of you. How did you know I was coming to Bonn?” Greg asked, simulating pure innocence.

Let’s see her squirm out of this one Trish.

“I-I’m fairly s-sure you mentioned it, didn’t you?” Natalia stammered. She was furious with herself. Greg had only mentioned a trip to Europe, not where or when. How could she have slipped up so badly?

“No, I don’t think so…” he replied shaking his head.

“Uh…” she was starting to squirm and although he was quite enjoying her discomfiture, he decided to let her off the hook at the last moment.

“… but I could be mistaken,” he divulged casually. “Try the wine, I ordered it especially for your visit.” The face Natalia made as she choked down the wine made Trish break up in fits of giggles. Greg managed to outwardly keep a straight face with a great deal of difficulty and self-control.

“Ah… it’s lovely. So, how was your trip to Switzerland?” Natalia wrung out the words with great effort.

“Very productive, I’m well on the way to setting up a European lab and manufactory just outside Biel,” he smiled graciously, “and I’ve even gone as far to hire my director of operations. How was your day?” Natalia nearly choked on her wine again.

Terrible, she wanted to reply, not only were you out of my sight, but I couldn’t even find my Italian boy-toy to pass the time with. Instead, she smiled.

“I really did nothing as exciting or productive as your day, just some shopping and a visit with some family friends here in town. It’s a pity you don’t have that much time for me this trip,” she again contrived sulkiness.

“Well, in all honesty, I didn’t expect to see you until I returned home,” Greg said. “That’s why my schedule is so tight my Dear. A scientist’s work is never done. I’ve spent most of my time either writing my notes for a panel discussion or working on setting up the European AERI. Maybe in a few months we can take a ski trip together or something,” he affected contriteness.

“I’d enjoy that, and I won’t let you forget either,” Natalia promised and Greg knew she wasn’t kidding. The waiter arrived to take their order at that very moment, rescuing him from anymore phoney small talk.

“Good evening Madam, Sir. How may we serve you this evening?” the waiter asked affectedly. Natalia glanced momentarily at the menu.

“I’ll have the broiled lamb chops with asparagus and Parisienne potatoes please,” she blurted, “and you Greg?”

This is going to blow her away Trish. Watch her reaction,

he baited.

You naughty boy, you’re really enjoying this,

Trish smiled indulgently.

Greg made a brief show of studying the menu as well.

“Um… I’ll have the 26 ounce steak, Kansas City cut, with the special spicy garlic sauce, the potatoes Romanoff and the broccoli… rare please. Oh yes, and bring me another bourbon, thanks.” Natalia’s eyes betrayed her disgust, but her face remained a smiling mask.

“That’s a rather large amount of food before bedtime, isn’t it Greg?” she asked, tipping her hand slightly.

“Oh, I’m sorry, I skipped lunch today,” he responded unabashedly. “So, how is everything back home?” he inquired, deftly changing the topic.

The rest of the meal was a nightmare for Natalia. Greg polished off every morsel of food before she was even half way through her own meal. She looked slightly ill when Greg ordered dessert and coffee and by the time he lit a cheap cigar, he had carefully abandoned all of his table manners and was delighted when Natalia made polite noises about leaving.

“Well Greg, it’s very late and you have an early start tomorrow. I’d best let you get back to your room to get some sleep. I’ll give you a call,” she finished noncommittally.

She rose and left in as elegant a hurry as was possible. It was all Greg and Trish could do to keep from laughing out loud. Greg crushed out the foul stogie, signalled for the bill and sighed gustily.

How was that Trish?

he chuckled proudly at his academy award worthy performance.

I was right, you did enjoy that!

she challenged.

Guilty as charged…

he grinned.

You played clueless so well, you could rival Reese Witherspoon. I thought I’d die when you belched halfway through the meal. The look on her face was priceless.
Ahhh, the non-violent ways are the best… and often the most fun,

he quipped.

They paid the tab and walked back to the hotel. They were headed for the elevators when the night clerk called them over.

“Excuse me, Herr Doktor? There are 2 messages from someone named Roxanne and a Ms. Ravensclaw dropped off a note about 5 minutes ago.”

“Thank you very much. I need the wake-up call and the breakfast tray again in the morning.” Greg requested.

“8:00 and 8:30, yes Sir. Have a good night,” the man said as he wrote down the instructions.

“Gute Nacht.” They retired to their room and read Natalia’s note first.

“Dear Greg, I’m sorry to say that I have to leave Germany first thing in the morning. Thank you for a pleasant evening and I’ll call you when you get home. Best regards, Natalia.”

Ha! Now there’s a polite brush-off, I guess she’ll be off our back for a while. Best regards indeed,

Trish sniggered.

That’ll give us some freedom of movement anyway. I love you Trish. I could have never have handled that… that… wench without your help and support.
I love you too Greg. Now let’s see what our little Frauline has been up to today.

Betina’s first message was to inform him that she’d taken a lease on a suite in one of Biel’s older hotels in order to set up an office. The second was to let him know of the new telecommunications installation that was scheduled for the twenty third and that the railcars were arranged for the twenty first.

She’s efficient, I’ll give her that. Remind me to scold her for working so hard,

Greg said.

You’ll do no such thing Greg Howard. She’s just eager to prove herself to you, that’s all,

chided Trish.

I know darling, I just don’t want her to burn out, after all, she’s only human. Did Solomon or Hestia come up with anything on her yet?
Actually, your gut instincts were right on Darling. Betina Becker is exactly what she purports to be. She’s a university graduate in, get this, biosciences, with a minor in environmental studies. Solomon is quite impressed by your find as well. He told me that Betina was on the short list for a physio-neural bond. Good call, My Love,

Trish commended him.

I trust two things, you Darling and my gut instincts. I’m glad she’s on the side of the angels. Good night My True Other, sweet dreams!
Love you always, darling man. Good night to you too.

Greg shut out the light and was asleep almost before the room went dark.

To be continued

up
203 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Nicely done

Dahlia's picture

Such a nicely done rebuff. The thing that is sad is that a redneck, boor is better than a conniving, manipulative bitch any day of the week. The redneck is at least up front and predictably the same.
I hope that the new facility and the shipment can be consolidated without any major interference from the syndicate.

Thanks for another chapter and thank you for taking the time to writer for us, the readers.

Dahlia

Nicely done,

But these people operate outside the law. I expect a fire. I would not put it past them to try to frame Greg.

Monitoring the new site

Despite his trusting his new employee, perhaps it would be a good idea to have a floater drone to silently watch the new site?

Gwen

Hah

Tas's picture

Natalia got what was coming to her this time, but I'm sure she'll be back. I guess we'll see how this all plays out.

-Tas

the gross out

a way to influence people.
nice one, thanks

A great story so far

but I was a little surprised about the transit time between Bonn, Germany and Biel, Switzerland... you state that Greg left at 5 PM from Biel to have dinner with Natalia in Bonn at 9 PM - Google Maps shows the transit time to be at least 6 hours by car. I know this is a fiction story, but still, Europe is a little larger than most people think it is ;)