Atalanta at Whateley: School Days Chapter 7 & 8

Printer-friendly version

Again I want to thank my co-conspirators in getting this story posted. I'm not sure if I need to mention that this is copyrighted and the characters are from my imagination.

The plan starts to come together and Atalanta finds she has more resources that she thought. This offering has some explanation and one of my favorite scenes. See if you can guess that scene; I believe that is starts to give some insight into who she is.

Chapter 7

5731895 female warrior.jpg

“You know what time it is?”

Same old Nick, blunt and to the point.

“Yeah,” Manny drawled unperturbed, “I do, don’t you know.”

“Nick its Manny-Manny Black …Hawk.”

Nick O’Reilly, Director at DARPA's tone softened, “Manny you old dog what the hell are you up to? Are you ready to reenlist yet?”

“No, not yet but that’s not why I called, I need your help.”

“What do you need,” Nick asked his tone turned serious.

Manny brought him up to date on Atalanta and her miss-adventures on the train, twice at Boston, and lastly at Dunwich. What Manny wanted was a tap on the three cell phones and email monitoring from Whateley.

Nick was happy to help. Nick’s daughter Nikki was at Whateley, and breaches in their security concerned him from a father’s point of view. Tied closely with that was the understanding that Whateley was neutral and off-limits, and that ban included Dunwich. Manny gave Nick the names of the three hired hit men to bring up their military records. Phone tracing and taps was a little more problematic but a discreet call off the books would take care of that.

“Anything else,” Nick inquired after Manny finished with his list.

“I don’t think so, I am about to call another person to get information on the house they were going to take Atalanta to in Boston.”

“Well why don’t you give me that information too and we can compare notes.”

After he had completed jotting down the information Nick asked Manny, “How did you get hold of this information?”

“Atalanta, she called me and gave it to me.” Manny continued adding in a whispered hushed tone, “I’ve trained a lot of damn good soldiers in my time and I’ve seen my share of warriors-I’d like to think I am one- but this girl is in a different class.”

Nick agreed, “I met her and her mother in Utah and flew down to New Mexico with them. I persuaded Mrs. Reid to send Atalanta to Whateley. The tales I heard from Fife’s posse members sounded like tall tales.”

“I guess you have heard of her desert adventures.”

Nick nodded over the phone then answered, “Some of it.”

Manny replayed that night from the Big City to the big desert trip that he and her Mom took, and the sight of the procession in the stark desert landscape, “…like from a Hollywood scene,” Manny intoned.

“She was lucky that in breaking that man’s collarbone and damaging his partners hamstring that she set up a tension between them where it hurt one to travel fast and it hurt the other to go slow.”

“And placing the slow guy at the front and the fast guy at the rear was brilliant.”

“It was genius too, tying the three rider’s boots together under their horse’s belly.

“I know,” Manny agreed, “she had her hands full supporting the twins on her horse, but by separating the men into three factions with interests that conflicted she eliminated their options at escaping.”

“What do you know about her,” Nick inquired of Manny.

“What do you mean,” Manny’s words were clipped.

“Relax Manny I wasn’t dissin’ your girl. My Nikki is a changeling too. Nikki’s complete change took close to a year and her magical abilities occurred right alongside them. Mrs. Reid didn’t say much about Atalanta’s change on the helicopter ride over. It might help us to help Atalanta to know more who Alan was immediately before, during, and after her changing.”

Manny relaxed, it was a reasonable question. “They hid it well from me and from everybody on the ranch. Judy, the ranch owner knew, Lindsey and her mother knew too, and then they told me. The changeling event happened their first day there and the similarities between Alan and Atalanta were enough that no one ever caught on. Mrs. Reid in her capacity as a doctor certified that Alan was born intersex, and at puberty her body changed to female with the influx of female hormones.”

“I thought she exaggerated with that portion of her story, a case of CYA, but I did some research about intersex seeing as how I have some personal experience with Nikki. In a nutshell …” Nick left that metaphor hanging. “Briefly a child’s genitalia can sometimes be confused until puberty.”

“It is likely that it would never have surfaced but for the gunshot wound she received rescuing her mother,” Manny continued. “As Liz explained it to me Atalanta’s body went through much what a normal person’s body does at puberty if they have the intersex condition.” Manny paused to clear up any misunderstanding, “I should point out what I say or observe are conclusions I’ve drawn, and may or may not be accurate.”

“Understood, please continue.”

“Well Nick you aren’t the only one that has been reading up on concepts, concepts I wouldn’t have considered a year ago. The way I see it the world is made up from five planes of existence. Those are, starting from the bottom and going up, the physical, the ethereal, the astral, the spiritual, and finally the mental plane. Each level is governed by the laws of physics but to differing degrees. An example is quantum physics at the higher levels. And each level can interact with us on the physical, again to varying degrees or vice versa. I think Alan-Atalanta’s physical change was controlled through the ethereal plane as that level closely resembles ours. Her results are within what you expect to find with a normal intersex condition, whatever normal is. Now she may be a mutant if the BIT or body image template and gene theories are accurate, as she apparently imprinted on Atalanta, or else she contains Atalanta’s DNA which was catalyzed by some force, probably from this ethereal plane or higher.”

“Manny, let’s cut to the chase! Enough with the jargon and theory just give me your elevator speech.”

“Alan wasn’t athletic: Atalanta is. Alan was passive: Atalanta isn’t. Alan wasn’t interested in contact sports, Atalanta thrives on it. Alan was brown haired and blue eyed, Atalanta is redheaded with green eyes.”

“Not anymore from what I saw of her,” Nick corrected, “Her eyes are now gray with some green-blue flecks and I think the hint of another color.”

Manny swore, “Well you know as much now as I do except that girl never ceases to amaze me. Most recruits take years to learn the subtle clues that Atalanta picks up naturally.”

“A natural you mean.”

Yeah, Manny knew what he meant. The Pareto Principle worked in warfare too. 20% of the soldiers made 80% of the kills, though privately he thought it was 5% made 95% of the kills.

He changed the subject, “How’s Nikki doing these days, and is she coming home for Christmas?”

“A lot quieter than last year I can tell you that,” and he gave Manny a synopsis of Nikki’s freshman year.

“I would hope this year is quieter than last year,” Manny laughed.

“I hope it stays that way with your Atalanta enrolling. She’s a sophomore, too?”

That was true Manny realized, he had come to think of her like a daughter or kid sister at least.
“I do feel a responsibility for her. You’ll call me when you have something.”

“I sure will and you’ll call me if anything breaks on your end.”

“You’re closer than I am,” Manny replied; he wasn’t sure if Nick knew he was coordinating this long distance, “I’m finishing up here on the West Coast.”

“I’m not due to pick Nikki up for the holidays until a week from now. What about Mark?”

“They’re watching that house in Boston.”

“So who’s doing our boots on the ground report?”

Manny answered simply, “Atalanta.”

“I see but shouldn’t she have backup since she is the target?”

“From her description, the location she chose for her camp is ideal; one way in and it’s easily defensible. She’s cool under pressure and a dead shot, though I hate to think of her having to kill someone. She set up a security perimeter and tomorrow she will look for a backdoor to her rabbit hole.”

“You’re good at this you know,” Nick remarked, “and you enjoy it too.”

Manny admitted both statements were true, but he didn’t like Atalanta being put in danger. “I’ll talk with you tomorrow.”

“Tomorrow,” Nick agreed.

Chapter 8

I stirred inside the sleeping bag, instantly wide-awake and alert. It was pitch black inside the tent and dark outside. I instantly shifted my sight, the rods and cones in my eyes changing in the low light. The tent’s interior and its contents sprang to life, albeit a monotone, dull world in hues.

I listened, really listened picking up the night sounds and rhythms. One of the horses snorted softly, another gently stamped a foot. The waters of the river murmured rolling over the rocks and lapping at the shoreline. In the distance the mournful wail of a lone wolf lifted on the night air. Somewhere an owl cried, its voice shrill.

I pulled back the covering, rose and dressed quickly in the dark and powered my laptop up and checked my cameras. Nothing out of the ordinary greeted my eyes.

After arming myself, I stood outside my tent scrutinizing the immediate terrain. The spring floods beating against the cliff wall had eaten away the rocky surface at ground level and rising up and outward. Where I set my camp up at was at an inverted bowl that offered protection and concealment from downriver. But not from directly across the river and that was an area I intended to explore with daylight.

Satisfied nothing lay in wait I fed and watered my horses and washed my face and hands in the cold waters. I quickly built a fire and cooked a breakfast consisting of cured meat, powdered eggs, and pancakes which I washed down with water.

My phone rang as I was washing my cooking and eating utensils, “Hello.”

“Miss Reid,” an unknown voice asked. I remained silent not recognizing the number either.

“Miss Reid,” the voice continued quickly, “My name is Nick O’Reilly we met on the ride with you and your mother from Utah to New Mexico. I got your number from Manny Black.”

“I’m Atalanta,” I replied recalling the name, “What do you want?”

“Manny called me last night to help with the phone tap and we’ve run in a bit of a snag. I need the phones. Mark is on his way there to pick up those phones. What did you do with those three men?"

“I left them tied up in the backseat of their car up a logging road.”

“Good they’re still there then.”

“Probably not, I cut the cords on one of them and he has probably untied his buddies by now. But I did take the car keys and tossed them by the roadside. They might have found them by now or maybe not.”

“I need for you to take their phones and IDs and give them to Mark. We’re going to use background information on them to make them cooperate with us and with any luck we might know who is behind this. Whateley and it's students are off limits especially on and near the school.”

Anticipating his next question I told him the logging road was a mile from town, “What time will they be here?”

“They left several hours ago and should be there in about two hours. Where will you be?”

“Tell them to find the logging road and I’ll find them.”

Nick chuckled on his end appreciating the response, “I’ll tell them.”

After disconnecting with Nick O’Reilly, I saddled the gray filly that I rode yesterday and led the other horses across the river. There was some vegetation left and they were less likely to be spotted. I also carried some gear and two rifles with me to stash there.

Crossing back over the river’s sandbar I rode the filly I now called Grey to the end of the beach area and up into the woods. An hour later we struggled out on the trees lining the road’s border. There I dismounted and studied both sides, and the length of the road as far as I could see.

Hunkered down I debated whether to stay put or cross the road to go hunting. I chose the latter moving stealthily into the timber along the logging road. Drawing close to the area where I had parked their car I dismounted and led Grey farther in the trees where she wouldn’t give me away. There I hobbled her and injun’d my way near to where I had left them the previous evening.

I sensed and heard them before their figures came into view. Their clothing was wrinkled, dusty, and their shoes scuffed. The men had blue stubble on their faces with their hair uncombed and unkempt. They were frustrated, tired, and hungry. Apparently they still hadn’t found where I had tossed the keys.

Hunkered down behind the tree line and concealed by a path of bushes I considered my next move. My position was on a bank about 20 yards from the roadside with a commanding view of them, their car, and a clear view of 100 yards of the road leading out.

My ears picked up the sound of a car engine as it revved to climb the sharp incline from the paved road and moments later the crunch of gravel reached my ears. I needed to act fast or these guys would scatter with sound of an approaching car.

I stood up, the lower half of my body hid by the vegetation and held up and jangled another set of keys, “You boys lose something?”

I was slightly forward of the car and they being at the rear turned as one facing me their back exposed to Mark and the team.

They fanned out slightly and the leader, the one I used the hypodermic needle on spoke, “Throw down the keys and we’ll forget we ever saw you.”

“Throw down the keys or what,” I drawled, “You have to have an ultimatum or it just doesn’t work. It lacks credibility. You going to tie me to the railroad tracks, or make me walk barefoot and naked over hot coals. You have to give me something to be afraid of.”

I paused briefly, my eye going to each man and lingering briefly, giving Mark and his men time to creep closer.
I added, “I realize you all are probably new at this sort of thing so if you’d like to take a moment to discuss the ultimatum among yourselves, I’ll wait.”

“What ultimatum?”

“Why the ultimatum that gets me to throw you boys the keys of course,” I replied evenly, “and I’m afraid, ‘we’ll forget we ever saw youʼ won’t fly. First, as ultimatums go, it’s not very threatening, and secondly, I don’t believe that you will ever forget me.”

“You bitch,” the leader took a step forward, “I’ll come up there and rip you arm from arm and beat you like a rag doll.”

“Your boss didn’t tell you about me, did he?”

“Huh?”

I felt a sudden change in the air, the air seemed clearer and sharper; magnifying sounds. I felt like I was on stage wielding my storytelling shtick. The world slowed. The little hairs on my neck straightened and chills ran the length of my spine. From the corners of my eyes I noticed some hawks and buzzards lighting in the branches and one owl. High overhead an eagle circled lazily, watching.

“I’m a woodland nymph, this is my home,” I declared shocked by my words. “Look behind me they are my friends,” I pointed at the growing number of predatory birds perched in the branches. “And him,” I pointed at the eagle, “I guess you could say he’s the general as he has the best view …” A sense of vertigo quickly passed as for a split second I saw us from the air.

Enthralled I continued, “Your boss stepped in it but he doesn’t know it yet. You do. I’m afraid coming up here and tearing me limb from limb is not going to happen. You’ll need to come up with another plan.”

What was Mark waiting for? They were close enough to take charge.

Deciding to go along with whatever game he was playing, I continued my spiel, “Come, come, gentlemen, I don’t have all day. I’m disappointed, what no plan b?”

“Yeah,” the one named Bud spoke, “You come down here.”

“Make me,” I taunted sticking my tongue out. I remained still as did they. It had turned into a Mexican standoff.

“Guys how about some help here.”

Mark and his team moved swiftly and soon had the men handcuffed in the backseat of their car. As they were doing that I retrieved Grey and joined them, handing over the documents and phones.

“Just what were you waiting on,” I demanded of Mark.

“It’s not often we get treated to a performance worthy of Elizabethan Theater, is it men?” A chorus of agreement, whoops, and catcalls followed.

“And the props, how did you get them to cooperate?” I knew he was referring to the timely arrival of the predatory avians.

“Coincidence,” I shrugged, “I don’t know it just happened.” That was true I didn’t know how it happened but none of us were buying mere ‘coincidence.’

“I guess we all better be going, you guys have a long trip ahead and I need to get my camp in order.”

“Here, I almost forgot,” Mark said reaching into his pocket, retrieving a phone, “this is a secured phone. Mr. O’Reilly wanted you to have it.”

“Thanks, I appreciate it,” I replied taking the phone placing in my coat pocket. “And I appreciate your help. All of you guys' help,” I added to his team gathered around.

“It just doesn’t sit right with me that we’re running off and leaving a young girl alone in the wilderness to fend for herself. Even though I have every confidence you will be all right. Still, a person can slip and break a leg.”

Looking at concern on each man’s face, I knew I needed to walk a fine line, “No man …or woman is an island. We’re a team right now. We each have a job to do. Your’s is to get these guys to wherever you’re supposed to get them to and my job is to stay out of sight. I can do that easier alone, and besides I wouldn’t want to sully any of your stellar reputations: especially yours Ben.”

From the gossip I overheard at the Boston house, Ben was a party animal and teased constantly by his companions. They didn’t need a second invite to pile on him with insults and barbs.

“It’s true I could fall and break an arm or leg,” I continued thoughtfully, “but I don’t think so. I’m light on my feet, I have three horses, I can ride a horse with either injury and Dunwich is at most a four or five hour ride. My Mom is a doctor so I have some medical training. No plan is perfect.”

By taciturn agreement we broke up soon after as I gave each man a hug and a handshake.

Swinging gracefully into the saddle, I whirled the horse around and leaping up the embankment, I called back, “See you guys on the other side,” rapidly disappearing into the forest.

“That girl is going to break her fool neck.”

“No,” another team member observed, “she is destined for more than that.”

up
333 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

LOL

A Really Great Story for sure.Can't wait until the next chapter comes out.

I'm glad

you like it.

Katelyn,

Katelyn,
This really great story of yours definitely fits well in the Whateley Academy pantheon of stories. I do hope that you continue having many more stories and adventures regarding Atalanta.
Thanks for this one and looking for many, many more chapters of it.
Janice Lynn

To be honest

Atalanta is a story that I had to write, the character. She called out to me. So hopefully there will be many more and I am working on the third book now.

what a character

Katelyn
I love Atalanta and her journey esp as her difficulties in reaching Whatley I love the whatley universe and I love seeing more of the struggles ppl have in reaching there. I cannot wait to see what happens when she finally gets there and mixing with the others. I can see some fun times ahead.

Matt

Atalanta

and Whateley mix like oil and water.

School days

I am enjoying the story, especially the fact that it is not just "here you are at school, here is the picture of the Prine of Wallachia".

Also the picture you have of Atalanta for these parts is the best so far.

The Animals

Remember Harvard (the owl) from the first book he's back and brought friends?

Atalanta

does it mean atalanta is a wood elf then and good story to read how she gets to whateley will they still chase her then.

A wood elf? Maybe in a sense but

in that scene she had to hold the bad guy's attention while her friends sneaked up on them. So like a performer on a stage she played a role and the birds were like props. That scene wrote itself.

In the first book Manny told her a newly awakened "natural" attracted attention. That won't cease because she's going to school.

thanks

I'm glad you like the story.

A great story

This is a wonderful story! Although starting out, I thought it seemed like a rehash of JulieO's (which I look forward to in summer), it has developed nicely and the Whateley connection is so different. Sort of between Jirra Reid and Kayda (Buffalo Gal). A wonderful addition.

I do have some comments about singular/plural (too much "was" that should be "were") and a few typos, but it reads well. Thanks for the effort.

AReader

Julie O's

Fresh Start was the inspiration I loved the story but I thought Jirra too weak. I wrote tens of thousands of words trying out different scenarios when Atalanta knocked on the door. I knew she'd be perfect for the heroine and not like Jirra but by that time Liz and Judy had become real too. In retrospect I should have probably tweaked it more.

great story and character.

great story and character.
Atalanta and Whisper would make a hell of a team

That's some high praise

I love Whisper! But I believe they might make a hell of a team too.

Yes..enjoying here commute to

Yes..enjoying here commute to school. The pix is great..but; You need to incorporate it into her arsenal..perhaps the bow is her weapon of choice?
Wood nymphs are cool!

alissa

Woodland nymph huh?

Tas's picture

More clues to this avatar spirit of hers, though not all the pieces are in place yet.

-Tas