Badasses Of the Multiverse: Book 5: Volume 1: Chapter 16

Printer-friendly version

Badasses Of the Multiverse Book 5: “The Gambling Man.”

Volume 1: “De La Plata Podrido.”

Chapter 16: “The Toast To The Hangover.”

By Paul Cousins.

Copyright Disclaimer: All copyrighted places, characters, items, and events, within the story, are held by their current owners. No profit is being made on this work of fiction.

(_)

It was the next morning, after the poker game, between Lee and River, at Daiyu Palace Casino.

The time was around nine AM, as Lee came down the elevator, and into the Devil's Hotel lobby.

Lee had already gotten up, got ready, shaved, took a shower, and dressed, to face the day.

In addition, Lee felt well rested, from the sleep he had, on his bed, in his suite, from the night before. But, Lee was still coming down from the stress events of the previous day. And he was in no mood to talk to anyone that day, whom was not a friendly face to him.

Lee wore his causal clothing, including pants, shirt, tennis shoes, his blue cloth jacket, his blue baseball cap, and his large glasses.

As Lee entered the front lobby, from the elevator bay, he came to a stop. he looked around for Sam, but he did not see Sam anywhere in the room.

Lee thought, 'Damn it. Where are you, Sam?'

Lee then noticed the twenty-one women, in Revy and Rock's group, sitting across the room, in their usual seats at those rings of couches.

The only two women Lee did not see from their group was Eda and Yolanda.

Lee thought, 'Eda and Yolanda are likely already getting set up for their burger van, right now. Though, I think I will avoid them today. I really do not want to talk to anyone right now, except for, Sam, whom is not here.'

Lee then saw the women from across the room, turn their heads, as they noticed him.

A second later, they all got up from their seats, and they started walking towards him.

While Lee did not show it on the outside, he thought, with worry, 'Oh crap. They were waiting for me. To confront me about what I did yesterday. And if I run, it will only make things worse. It looks like I am going to have to face the music alone. And I am in no mood to do so.'

All twenty-one women approached him at once, with Revy in front.

And as all of them came to a stop, ten feet in front of him, they all of them began demanding questions, from Lee, at the same time.

“How did you do that card throwing trick?”

“What is with the gray suit?”

“Why didn't you tell us that you are mister dance?”

“Are you and the Rats Nest bartender dating?”

“Where did you learn those languages from?”

“What is your connection to Chief Del Soto?”

There were other questions, as well.

Then, Revy continued look at Lee, as she held up her right hand, causing all the other women to be silent.

Revy lowed her right hand. She focused on Lee's eyes, as she calmly ordered, “Answer us, Lee.”

For Lee, given his current mood, which was a mix of mental tiredness, and borderline stress endued emotional burnout, the women had hit a raw nerve with their ungratefulness towards him.

Lee looked down at Revy. Their eyes met, and Revy saw a hardness, that she had never seen, in Lee's eyes before. He firmly, yet honestly stated, in an even tone of voice, “Revy, yesterday, you put me in one of the most stressful and dangerous situations of my entire life.”

“Yet. Not once did I truly complain. Not once did I truly try to run from the mess you put me into.”

“I did what you asked me to do. And against near impossible odds, I still won that million dollars for you, Revy. Though, instead of something as little as a, thank you, I got nothing. And the only rewards you think I should have for my hard work is you all badgering me with questions.”

“Given your ungratefulness toward my help in aiding you, as of right now, as far as I am concerned, you can go to hell.”

Lee then looked around, at the women by Revy, as he added, “You can all go to hell.”

Lee then turned, and stormed away from them, as he headed towards the hotel restaurant.

The women were so stunned by Lee forwardness towards them, that they did not replace. They just watch, as Lee walked a cross the room, and turned the corner, into the hallway that lead to the Devil's Hotel restaurant.

As Lee disappeared from side, the women turned to look at each other.

Lotton said, “I told you this was a bad idea.”

Benny suggested, “Should we follow him, and make him talk?”

Revy stated, “No. We can talk to him, later. After he calms down. And he is right. He won the million for me, and that is the important part.”

Rock said, “Still, someone show apologize to him. He does at least deserve that. And I will handle this. Considering I am the best at this.” She then walked toward the hotel restaurant, alone.

As Rock walked away, Janet stated, “Still, we can find out about Lee connection with Chief Del Soto, from the police department.”

Benny said, “True. But, that can wait a few days. After things cool down. Right now, if there is a connection between the Police Chief, and Lee. After what happened yesterday. The Police Chief will be on his guard. We need to wait a few days. And then look into this. After the Police Chief has lowered his guard, some.”

Dutch agreed, “That is a good point, Benny.”

Janet thought about her husband's suggested for a few seconds. She then replied, “I agreement.”

Benny mentioned, “Good. And to pass the time, until then, I was looking into tours around here, and they have a nice mainland tour that you all might be interested in.”

Janet replied, “Sounds like fun.”

Sawyer commented, “I have always been open to learning about new cultures.”

Dutch said, “So have I.” She thought, 'That is one of the reasons that brought me to Roanapur, Thailand, in the first place.'

Revy stated, “Well guys, have fun with that.” She thought, 'Tours have never been my things.'

Molly asked, “What type of tours are you talking about?”

Benny stated, “Ruins. That sort of thing. I can charter a bus for us in a couple of days.”

Molly said, “Sounds interesting.”

As the women had a conversation about the tour, Benny realized that most of the women present were interested taking the tour, with her. Except for Revy.

(_)

A minute later, Lee did not even buy breakfast, as he walked over, and he sat at his usual play at the bar counter. While he got comfortable in his seat, he forced himself to calm down.

Lee thought, with concern, and mild surprise, towards himself, 'Did I just tell Revy, and the others, to go to hell?... Oh... Just great... I just made things worse for myself.' He then lowered his head onto the counter.

A few seconds later, Lee heard Rock's female voice, right beside him, to his left, say, “Lee?”

Lee did not raise his head, as he asked, with defeat evident in his tone of voice, “Have you girls decided to kill me, now?”

Rock answered, “No. You are right. What we did was uncalled for. And thank you for winning that million.”

Lee raised his head. He turned to look at Rock, as he replied, “You're welcome.”

Rock admitted, “We should not have asked you those questions. You have secrets. Everyone does. And in that poker game, you were forced to reveal some of those secrets. Though, I must say you are a very talented man.”

Lee responded, “I am happy you appreciate that. And thank you.”

Rock inquired, “Are we good?”

Lee conceded, “We will be in an hour, or two. I just need some time to cool down.”

Rock replied, “That is perfectly understandable. Have a good breakfast.”

Lee stated, “You to, Rock.”

Rock then turned and left the room, as she went back to the lobby, to let her friends know that everything was all right.

Meanwhile, Lee got up from his seat, and walked to Emily, whom was manning the cash register, so he could pay for a breakfast buffet, and have a meal, with something to drink.

(_)

Ten minutes later, Lee was sitting at his usual place at the bar counter, eating his meal, and drinking a glass of orange juice.

A few minutes ago, Lee has seen Rock's group come into the room and pay for their meals. They had left him alone, as they went to the buffet, and then to their usual tables by the stage.

Just then, Lee noticed Emily walked up to him, from behind the bar counter. She was holding the wireless phone to the bar, in her right hand.

While, Emily came to a stop across from Lee, she offer him the phone, she said, in english, “Lee. It's Sam.”

At the mentioned of Sam's name, Lee immediately perked up. Lee quickly, through gentle took the phone. After which, he said, “Thank you, Emily.”

Emily replied, “You're welcome.”

Lee then held the phone to his right ear. He said, “Hi Sam. Where have you been? I missed you at breakfast.”

On the other end of the phone, Sam responded, “Sorry. I have just been busy. How about you?”

Lee coyly answered, “Oh this, and that.”

Sam said, “Anyway. Congratulations on winning that poker game. I will see you around eleven at the Rats Nest. I can play with you for the afternoon, but I have business this evening, and tonight.”

Lee replied, “Okay. See you there.” He mentally added, 'I would rather have him for the afternoon, than not at all. Though, I would like to know what his business is? Still, given our arrangement. We both realize that it is best neither us digs to deep into the background of the other.'

Lee pressed the end button to hang up. He then handed Emily the phone, as he said, “Thank you, again, Emily.”

Emily gently took the phone. After which, she replied, “You're welcome.” She then walked away from Lee, and back to the cash register, where a few customers were waiting for her.

(_)

Two hours later, Lee sat in the lobby waiting for eleven AM to roll by. That was when the Rats Nest would opened for the day, he would drive over to the bar, and meet with Sam, to enjoy the late morning and afternoon with his best friend.

Currently, Lee saws sitting in a chair, facing the lobby entrance, on the right side of the lobby, as he was playing a game of solitary, with his deck of cards.

Lee glance over at the women of Rock and Revy's group.

They were all in their circle of couches, on the left side of the lobby, across the room from where he was.

Lee thought, 'They haven't bother me once, since before breakfast. I appreciate what every Rock said to me. And it is clear they had a talk about me. And decided to leave me alone, for now.'

'Still, they look like they have nothing to do right now, as well... As such, it looks like this day is going to calm down. Which is good, because yesterday's poker game likely attracted the wrong kind of attention towards me, from all the wrong people. And I need to start planning for those eventualities...'

'My time is growing short, and I may have to come up with a plan b, because it looks like I am not going to be able to come up with a way to steal one of the girls' reality devices.'

'Still, I can enjoy the day. For right now.'

It was then that, Lee looked over at the lobby entrance to see River walk in the room, from the outside.

Lee mentally reflected, 'Thought to soon. Still, what is she doing here? Though, at least she was a polite loser last night. And I admire her for that.'

River was wearing a nice red short sleeved blouse, a long black skirt, and red tennis shoes. Her long red hair was pulled back in a ponytail, by a red scrunchy.

And Lee notice that River was carrying a small, rectangular, brown, wooden box, on with a yellow ribbon running down the front of the box.

While Lee looked over at River, River turned to look back at him. She did not miss a step, as she turned to walk towards him.

Lee thought, 'Oh hell. She has could to see me.'

In response to Lee's thoughts, River just cracked a smiled towards Lee.

From the corner of his eye, Lee saw that Revy and the others had taken notice of River's presence, but they stayed in their seats.

As River walked over where Lee was seating, Lee swiftly gathered his playing cards, and put them in their cardboard box. He then pocketed the box of playing cards.

A few seconds later, River reached Lee.

As River stood there, a few feet from Lee, she looked down at Lee, whom was sitting in his chair, looking back up at her.

Lee smiled, as he casually said, “Good morning, River.”

River returned Lee's grin, as she replied, “Good morning, Lee.”

Lee inquired, “So, what brings you here this morning? I hope Chang was not too upset with you losing a million dollars last night.”

River said, with a straight face, and in an innocent tone of voice, “No. He wasn't. That is what makeup sex is for.”

Lee heard the girls laughing at River's jokes, all away across the room.

Even Lee's poker face cracked, as he lightly chuckled, for a few seconds.

As Lee calmed down, River stated, “Anyway, given you did not get any reward yesterday, and you were one dollar poorer for you victory. I brought this here for you...” She handed him wooden box, as she said, “For your troubles, yesterday.”

Lee stood up. He then reached over, and took the box from River's hands. He responded, “Thank you, River.”

River replied, “You're welcome, Lee.” She then turned, and left back through the lobby entrance, from which she had just come from.

Lee watched through the windows, as River exited the entryway, and to the outside. She then turned and waved her right hand at him, before snipping back around and walking up to a black car waiting for her, by the curb to the hotel parking lot. River then got into the back seat, and the car drove way.

With River gone, Lee turned his eyes downward, at the brown, wooden, rectangular box in his hand. The lid was on the long ways face of the box.

Lee gently opened the lid of the brown, wooden box, to see a green bottle of alcohol inside. The label both the box, and the bottle, was easy to read.

Lee immediately knew what brand of alcohol is was, but he showed no outward sign that he did. He thought, 'This is one hell of a gift from River. Though, I need say something, or the curiosity of girls here will get the better of them.'

Lee openly stated, as he lied, “Ardbeg Providence? Never heard of this label before.”

As Lee expected, across the room, the girls immediately overheard what Lee had said.

Revy's eyes went wide, as she quickly jumped out of her seat by Rock, and she headed towards Lee.

As Revy approached Lee, she stated, “River must have raided Chang's liquor cabinet for that bottle.”

Lee looked over at Revy, as he inquired, “So, you have heard of this brand? Is it a black label?” He mentally added, 'I always wondered that.'

Revy stated, “Yep. One of the blackest. Dutch loves the stuff. It is a nice brand where we come from?” By then, Revy came to a stop, a few feet in front of Lee.

Lee looked over Revy's shoulder, to see Dutch sitting in her seat, as she smiled towards both Revy and himself.

Lee turned back to Revy, as he thought, 'Let's have some fun. You want to ask awkward questions. I can play that game too.' He casually asked, “And where is that?”

Revy immediately became real quiet.

Lee then closed the lid to the box, as he looked over at clock above the check in desk. The arms of analog clock stated it was ten fifty-five AM.

Lee thought, 'Close enough.'

Lee then walking around Revy, and towards the front doors, with the brown, wooden box tucked under his right arm.

Revy asked, “Where are you going?”

Lee then turned to face Revy, as he answered, “To find Sam, and have a must needed drink.”

Lee then turned around, and he walked out of the lobby, and into the parking lot, with his prize in his hands. He soon reached his car, and headed for the Rats Nest.

(_)

Five minutes later, Lee made it to the Rats Nest, just as the bartender put the open side up on the window, to the left side of the front door.

After Lee parked his car, he walked inside the bar with his brown, wooden box.

As he looked around, he only saw the bartender sitting at a table, near the front of the room.

Lee thought, 'I guess Sam got caught up in traffic, or something. I am sure he will be here in a few minutes.”

The bartender looked up at Lee, as she said, “Good morning, Lee.”

Lee replied, “Good morning.”

The bartender asked, “So, what is in the box?”

Lee answered, “I gift I wish to share with friends. Including yourself.”

The bartender responded, “Thank you. By the way, I heard about last night. Congratulations on winning that poker game. Did Revy share any of the winning with you.”

Lee replied, “Nope. She kept it all for herself.”

The bartender commented, “Yea. It is apparent that Revy can be a greedy bitch, sometimes.”

Lee said, “You're preaching to the choir. By the way, can I borrow your phone?”

The bartender replied, “Sure.”

The bartender got up, and headed for the bar counter.

Lee followed her.

The bartender walked around the bar counter, and picked up a wireless phone from its base, and walked over to Lee, from behind the counter.

Lee gently set his box down. He then took the phone from the woman's hands.

Lee then dialed a number.

A minute later, Lee stated, in english, “This is Lee. Please, transfer me to Chief Del Soto office.”

A few seconds later, Lee heard the line click, and the pick up again.

On the other end, Pedro said, in spanish, “Hello.”

Lee stated, “Pedro. It's Lee. Come to the Rats Nest, right now. Don't ask questions. I got a gift that I want to share with you, and you are going to love it.”

Pedro replied, in english, “Knowing you, I am sure I will. I will be there in ten minutes.”

Lee said, “That will be fine. See you, then.” He then hung up the phone, and handed it to the bartender.

Lee then sat in a stool, by the bar counter, as he wait for Pedro and Sam to show up.

(_)

Ten minutes later, Pedro walked through the front door of the bar. After he had parked his own car in the Rats Nest parking lot.

Pedro saw that Lee was sitting by the bar counter, and the bartender was nearby, on the other side of the counter.

As Pedro walked toward them, he said, “Hello you two. And Lee, congrats on the win last night.” He thought, 'Since Lee invited me here. I think I will take the questions I have for him, until this evening.'

Lee replied, “Thank you.”

As Pedro came to a stop by the bar counter, next to Lee. He commented, “Most of my boys bet on you, and won big. The others are not sore about losing their money.” He thought, 'And I make sure of that. Both during the game. And afterward.'

Lee stated, “I am glad someone made money from my actions. Though, I did not get a dime from it.”

Pedro replied, “That figures. So, what did you call me for?”

Lee answered, “I was going to wait for Sam. But, I guess he is not going to show up, for a while. I would like to wait a few more minutes for him. But, I can still show you what I have with me.”

Lee then turned to the brown, wooden box on the counter. He open the lip to the box, and pulled out the green bottle of Ardbeg Providence. And he then gently set both the box, and the bottle, onto the bar counter.

Pedro immediately recognized the bottle for what it was.

Pedro took a few steps closer to Lee, as he whispered, “Is that what I think it is?”

Pedro thought, with amazement, 'Forget the questions for this morning. They will come this evening. Besides, it would ruin the mood. And Lee is giving me a once in a lifetime opportunity, to try a drink I always about, for yes. But, did not exist in this reality. Next to Romulan Ale, Ardbeg Providence is on my personal list of drinks I would like to try, that do not exist in this reality.'

Lee softly replied, “Yea. River gave it to me at the hotel, less than an hour ago. I figured you, Sam, the bartender, and I, would like to have a taste of it.”

Pedro quietly responded, “You got that right. But, are you sure it is not poisoned?”

Lee whispered, “Absolutely. It is not River's style to do such a thing.”

Pedro quietly said, “Okay. By the way, I saw Annie at the casino.”

Lee whispered, “Damn. Thanks for the warning.”

Lee thought, 'I lucked out not meeting her, during my trips to the casino. But, that is just another reason to altogether avoid the casino.'

'Though, given what I have done for Annie. I doubt Annie is after me. Still, if Annie wanted too, she could probably immediately find me with the force. It is likely that Chang asked her not too. Or, she is just wanting to see how those already after me, handle the situation.'

Pedro thought, 'Though, I better at least tell him, that I have questions for him tonight. So, he knows I am not blindsiding him.' He softly said, “You're welcome. And there other things we need to talk about tonight.”

Lee quietly replied, “Okay. I understand.” He thought, 'I am not surprised you would have questions for me, Pedro. And given what I have put you through. You deserve answers. But, not right now. Now, it is time for me to celebrate my victory, with my friends. With some priceless hootch.'

Pedro thought, 'Good. He understands. And realizes the importance of my statement.'

Just then, Sam walked through the door. After parking his gray, four door car, in the Rats Nest parking lot, by Lee's pink Cadillac, and away from Pedro's car.

The three adults turned to the newcomer.

Lee asked, “What kept you?”

Sam walked towards them, as he answered, “Errands.” When he reached them, he came to a stop, as he used his right hand to point at the bottle. He asked, “What is that?” He then dropped his right hand to his side.

Lee stated, “I am told that it is fine bottle of hootch. And we are about to find out.” He turned to the bartender, as he requested, “Please get us four glasses. Three for us, and one for you.”

The bartender reached under the counter, and pulled out three glasses, and a bottled opener. As she set them on the counter, she replied, “I appreciate you including me, on the fine endeavor.”

Lee smiled, as he commented, “As I said earlier. I wish to share this with my friends. You included. And you don't think I was going to leave out a beautiful woman, from a once in a lifetime toast.”

The bartender smiled at Lee.

Lee continued, “And the only reason I did not invite Melvin was that he is currently at work, at the hotel. Now, let's enjoy this.” He picked up the bottle open, and unsealed the bottle. He set the bottle opener, with the cock attached to its screw, on the counter.

After Lee opened the bottle and poured some of the contents into each of the four glasses, he raised his glass.

The others raised their glasses, as well.

Lee toasted, “To life.” He then took a sip of the Ardbeg Providence.

The other three replied, in unison, “To life.” And they sips from their glasses, as well.

Lee had to admitted, after sipping it, “Now, that is some smooth alcohol. Let us not waste it.”

The others nodded in agreement.

Soon after, they had polished off the entire bottle.

Lee put the cap back on the empty, green bottle. Then, he put the bottle back into the box. After he closed the box, he picked it up.

Lee then turned Pedro, as he stated, “You helped me yesterday, Pedro. And for that, I am very grateful. So, here...” He held out the box for Pedro, as he stated, “Keep this a souvenir of that day. I have no place to put it. And I am sure it is a rare brand. So, I want someone who appreciates it, to have it.”

Pedro took the box, as he responded, “Thank you, Lee. I will take it home, and put it somewhere safe.” He mentally added, 'Now, this is a gift to hold on to.'

Pedro stated, “Well, I have to get back to work. Thanks for the drink, the box, and the bottle. I am just glad that it was not that strong an alcoholic drink, or I would have to call a cab. See, you all later.”

Sam said, “Have fun.”

The bartender commented, “Glad you came by, Pedro.”

Lee said, “See you, later.”

Pedro then turned, and left the bar. He was soon in his car, as he left to return back to work, at the local police station.

The bartender turned to Lee, as she stated, “That was a nice gesture you did, with both the drinks, and giving the bottle away.”

Lee looked at her, as he smiled. He replied, “I know.” He then turned to Sam, as he asked, “So, are you interest in continuing our poker game?”

Sam smiled, as he pulled out his deck of cards. He stated, “Sure. I even brought my best deck with me.”

Lee said, “Good.”

Sam turned to the bartender, as he stated, “Since we are both driving. I think we will each have a glass of lemonade.”

The bartender replied, “Coming right up.”

Sam replied, “Thank you.”

Lee complimented, “Good choice.”

Sam turned to Lee, as he smiled. He said, “What can I say? I know you well.”

Lee thought, 'Not that well. But, that was still a nice gesture on your part.' Lee said, “That you do.”

Both men then turned, and walked over to their usual corner table, on the for left side of the room. They then sat down, at their usual places. And they soon began ongoing poker game. With the bartender bringing them each a glass of iced lemonade, a few minutes after Sam ordered their drinks.

(_)

Sam and Lee continued playing poker until lunch time. Lee then drove Sam and himself to an Italian restaurant, to eat. When they are finished, they returned to the Rats Nest to continue playing their game of poker.

While both players remained even in the overall money they bet that day, they did not care, as continued playing, and chatting, the day away.

(_)

Finally, at five thirty PM, after they finished their latest hand of cards, Sam looked at the clock on the back wall of the bar. He then put away his cards, and his money, as he stated, “Well, I need to get going.”

Lee said, “I am glad I was able to have your company, for at least most of the day. Especially this afternoon.”

Sam agreed, “So am I.” He continued, in a sadder tone of voice, “I don't know if I am going to be around, for the next couple of days. But, I will try to spent some time with you.”

Lee stated, in a supportive tone of voice, “Do what you can? I will be here for a long as I can. But, we both know, it will not be forever.” He thought, 'Though, if I was able to cure my cancer, and solve my other problems, I wouldn't mind spending as much time with you, as you wanted.'

Sam nodded once, as he said, “I understand.”

Sam then got up from the table. Sam walked out from around the corner, passed Lee, and by the bar counter, near the bartender, where he left some money for his tab, and a tip.

After Sam set the money on the counter, he turned towards the front door. He kept walking, as he said, “Good the change.”

Next, Sam walked out of the bar, and to his car, to leave.

Lee then collected his money, and put it into one of his pockets.

Lee then got up, and walked over to the bar counter, where the bartender was standing across from him.

As Lee pulled out a few dollars to pay his bar tab and tip, the bartender asked, “What did you mean, when you said you would not be here forever.”

Lee answered, “Please, don't take this the wrong way. But, it is personal.” He then placed the money on the counter.

The bartender replied, “Okay.”

Lee said, “Have a pleasant evening.”

The bartender commented, “I hope so. And you to.”

Lee then turned and walked towards the front door.

A few seconds after Lee exited the bar, he thought, 'I could use some dinner from the Last Resort Diner.”

As Lee faced the street in front of him, he then turned to his right, as he walked along concrete sidewalk in front of the bar, to the parking lot on the left side of the Rats Nest bar, where his pink car was parked. Several seconds later, Lee made it to his car. After which, he got into his vehicle, started the engine, and drove away, down the street.

(_)

Six minutes later, Lee parked his car in the parking lot, by the diner. He then walked into the Last Resort Diner.

Lee saw that there were a few customers there, but not many.

Lee thought, 'It looks like I made it before dinner rush.'

As Lee walked in, George, the cook, was busy washing dishing, in the sink, under the counter in front of the front doors. When George saw Lee, from across the counter, he stated, “Hi Lee. We heard about the poker game. Great job.”

Nearby, Mary and Lori heard what George said. They turned to see Lee had walked into the diner. Mary said, “Yes. It is always impressive when someone wins a million dollars.”

Lori was beside Mary. Lori inquired, “I am glad you won, as well. But, how much of it were you allowed to keep?”

After heading the comments, by the staff, Lee came to a stop, just inside the dinner. He looked around at the three diner employees, as he answered, “None of it. Though, thank you for your comments.”

Lori said, “Then, consider a meal, and drink, tonight, to be on the house.”

Lee grinned, as he responded, “Thank you. I was planning on eating here. That is why I am early. And it is customer service like that, which keeps me coming back here.”

Lori returned Lee's smile, as she replied, “I know.”

Mary and George went back to their jobs, as Lori follow Lee to the usual back, right, corner booth that he and Pedro shared almost every night.

Lee sat down, while facing the entrance to the restaurant. He then looked up at Lori, as he ordered, “I think I will have a club sandwich, with potato chips, and a coke cola.”

Lori pulled out her pen and notepad. As she wrote down the door, for the cook, she stated, “Coming right up.” She then turned, and walked towards George.

A minute later, Lori brought out Lee's glass of cola.

And ten minutes later, Lori brought Lee's meal, which had just been freshly prepared by George.

Lee then enjoyed his meal, as he watched for Pedro to show up, sometime around seven PM that evening.

(_)

At the moment that Lee was served his dinner for that day, at the Last Resort Diner, across town, in his penthouse office, at the top floor of Daiyu Palace Casino, Chang sat in his chair, behind his desk. With his door to his office being closed, but not locked.

Chang was wearing his business suit, but not his shades, nor black long coat.

Chang had his laptop computer open on the top of his desk, as he used it to help him review on what he knew about Lee. The laptop had a computer mouse hooked to it, and its wireless network card was connected to both the building's computer network, and the internet of the planet he was on.

The building's network, and computers, had some of the best firewalls money could buy, in the multiverse. Firewalls that were designed, and installed, by Ed Lowe.

As Chang leaned back in his cushioned, armchair, he thought, 'The sex River gave me last night, did a lot to calm me down, after losing a million to an absolute nobody...”

Chang smiled, as he continued his thoughts, in amusement, “Oh. Who am I kidding? I made more money from the bets on the game floor, with Lee winning, than River winning.'

'River already realized this. She told me so, in bed. Pedro told me he realized this, at the beginning of the game. I am sure that Rock realizes this. With her telling Revy, after the game. And if Lee is as good as I suspect he is. He likely realized this, as well.'

'So instead, River and I had sex to celebrate my brilliant planning. And while more people bet on River, than Lee. Once they realize that River was my girlfriend. The casino owner's girlfriend. I am surprised that so many people bet for Lee... Maybe there are just a lot of people that like betting on the underdog. Like Pedro.'

'And while I had already started to grow interested in Lee. After Lee's display at the game yesterday, and his win. I am now very interest in him. Besides, the principle of the matter demands I investigate Lee.'

'And the more I dig, the more questions I get about Lee, than answers. He has only been on this island for a few months. Yet, he has already either had a brush with, or become allies, with all the major players that are on the island.'

'Lee has clearly be able to deflect attention from himself. While, at least gaining a bit of respect from both Revy and her group, and me and my group. At the same time, Lee and Pedro seem to be working together. Though, I doubt Pedro's claim that Lee is his informant. I get the feeling Pedro is not in charge of Lee. Lee might even me the one in charge of Pedro... And giving how badass Pedro is. That is a worrisome thought.'

'Now, to start with. River reminded me that Lee did not have a choice in playing the game. It seems she has developed a soft spot for him. I guess when you read a person's mind, you learn their nature. And River has always been a good judge of character. Which means that Lee is on the level, and he did not cheat. So, taking all that into account, I not going to hold winning that game against him.'

'Still, for River to lose like that to Lee concerns me. Because, the means that whether Lee knows it or not, he has become a player in this game, we are all caught up in. It means that he is good enough, at what he does, that he could either be an asset, or a threat to me. And I need to which he is.'

'As such, I need to know what makes Lee tick. Because, given all the things he did in that game, and outside that game, he clearly is a man of many talents. One of those talents being intelligent enough know to hide his talents from everyone else.'

'It is clear that something is not right with Lee. He is playing some game in this town. And it involves Pedro. That means it could effect this city's future, and by extension, my business in this town. So, what is Lee's real reasons for being in town? And what is his game?'

'Also, after yesterday, it is obvious that Lee can keep his cool even in a prolonged, stressful situation. Pedro stated that Akira, Ranma, and Natsuru told Lee that River is a telepathic genius. So, he knew River was a telepath, before the game started. Yet, he still showed up, and played one hell of a game, without cracking. That is a very good trait to have. Even River agreed with me, on this.'

'Also, last night, during one of our breaks, between lovemaking, I commented that Lee had to have some stones to remain calm playing her. River mentioned that Lee could face a tiger without breaking into a sweat.'

'Speaking of tigers. I need to look into what happened with my tigress, two mornings ago. Zoe never did give me a straight answer on my tiger made it, unharmed, from its broken cage, to her enclosure, which was several feet away from said broken cage. And this game distracted me from looking into it.'

Chang leaned up, as he looked over at this laptop monitor. He pulled up the security camera for the hallway by the enclosure for that morning. Though, there was no audio on the building security camera, so even if the cameras were tapped into by an outside source, they could not be used to listen in on those in the casino.

Chang has other ways to find out what people were speaking on silent audio, if he wish to learn what they were saying. And he was a fairly good lip reader, himself. In both chinese, and english. Though, he preferred other people not know he had such skills.

Chang fast-forwarded the video, until he stopped it, when he saw Lee walked out of the back elevator bay.

Chang thought, 'Lee must have gotten lost.'

Chang then watched as the wheels on the tiger cage broke, the tiger got loose, the workers ran, with the tiger heading for Lee.

What happened next surprised Chang.

Lee did not run, nor show any fear.

And due to this, the tiger became interested in him.

As the large cat walked around Lee, Lee kept slowly turning to face the cat.

When the tiger came to a stop, both the tiger and Lee just stood there, until Lee did another expected thing. He reached up and lightly scratched the tiger behind her ear.

Soon after, Lee was able to convince the tiger to follow him to the enclosure door, with the tiger entering it.

Lee then shut the door, and locked it. A few seconds later, Zoe, with a few other security members, arrive on the scene.

Zoe and Lee talked, and from what Chang could read from their lips, both agreed to pretend this never happened. Then, Lee walked away, towards the gaming floor, as Zoe arranged for clean up of the broken cage.

Lee actions interested Chang, greatly.

Chang select the computer, using the time stamps of the videos, to select through the video feeds of Lee, from one camera to another, all the way to where Lee walked outside, and he sat on one of the outside benches, while he waited for Rock and Revy to show up, around an hour later.

As Lee followed Rock and Revy, out into the parking lot, to the Lagoon family's GTO, Chang paused the video.

Chang thought, 'Interesting. I will have to talk to Zoe about keeping things from me. But, I won't go hard on her. She has enough problems, as is. That woman has not had any real luck since Wash died. She has had a string of failed relationships, with nothing to show for them... Oh well. That is a matter for another time. And River briefly mentioned that she was looking into that problem. So, I will leave it to her.'

'Though, the fact Lee wanted to keep this secret shows intelligence on his part. I would have likely done things differently, if I had known in advance that Lee was this strong willed. And Lee showed how strong willed he was in the poker game.'

'I guess River was not joking. And dealing with Revy and the others, on a daily basis is either going to steel one's nerves, or break them. From what I heard, Revy's daughters pretty much gave Lee a front row seat to their brand of violence, and Lee didn't even crack in front of them. And compared to them, that tiger is a playful kitten.'

'Also, Lee is so skinny that it is unhealthy. Anyone with a sharp eye could tell that by way Lee's suit, and other clothing, hangs off of his body. Though, he likely bought his clothing when he weighted more, and the clothing fit him.'

'I have looked over a few older photos I had taken of him. From around month ago. Right after the talent show. He was skinny then, but not this skinny. And he would have no reason to willfully lose all that weight.'

'So, he wasn't that skinny a few months ago. So, why is he losing weight?... He has cancer... He's dying. And he knows it. With Revy and the girls do not realize this because the change is so gradual. I have heard cases where some people did not notice such things, from their friends and family members, because the person in question was with them so often, that as they got worse, slowly over time, it was not noticeable to them.'

'There is not much I can do for Lee, right now. But, this does allow me to have a card to have over him. But later. When he starts to become desperate, then I will make him my offer.'

'Now, to review the video feeds of when Lee came in yesterday, and came out.'

As Chang watched Lee strut into the casino, from yesterdays morning video feeds, he chuckled. He thought, 'Lee clearly knows how to be a showman.'

Chang then watched the feed videos from last night. He watched as Lee passed by Revy and Rock. He then took the elevator to the gaming floor.

And as Lee walked out to the threshold from the elevator bay and gaming floor, Chang read one word from Lee's lips. “Velveteen.”

Lee then started walking towards the front doors.

Chang thought, 'Velveteen... Where have I heard the word before... It is a music track... I wonder?...'

Chang pulled up another window beside the video on his screen, the window listed the music tracks that played in the casino gaming floor.

The music list time stamp match the video time stamp, of the song being played being, Velveteen, from the Ghost in the Shell, Stand Alone Complex, soundtrack.

Chang thought, 'Hold on... Revy says that he did not know about anime. But, only an anime fan would would know that song by name. Something is wrong with this situation.'

Chang then pulled up the video window, and he expanded it to the entire screen.

Next, Chang watched Lee exits the casino, with a valet opening the door to his pink car.

The video even continued playing, as the pink Cadillac began to drive off. Chang's eyes caught a glimpse of the back license plate of the convertible.

Chang immediately paused the video, and as he looked more closely at the back license plate of the pink car.

The license vanity plate stated, BCKLAGN.

Chang immediately realized what the license vanity plate stood for, as he thought, with disbelief, 'Black Lagoon. You got to be kidding. Wait, that isn't Lee's gag. From what I learned from Revy and the others, someone gave him that car. And if my sources, whom dug into the past of this city, are correct, that person was Police Chief Pedro Del Soto's brother, Paciano Del Soto. Whom also gave Pedro that Sistema Colt pistol. From what I managed to gather, both the Del Soto brothers are big Black Lagoon fans.'

'But, the young brother was a mob boss that learned that Revy and her crew were in town, and he wisely ran... I admire such common sense. I think I will leave him, and the former members of his group, alone.'

'Still, something does not add up. Lee met both Del Soto brothers. He should know at least something about what is going on. But, he doesn't do anything. He is intentionally playing dumb. Why? And that quote his made towards me, right before the game started. That was from the movie, Hot Fuzz... What a minute. Hot Fuzz. That movie parodies several genres at once.'

'And Lee also said that he was not Pedro's friend. Yet. He clearly was Pedro's friend. Even to the point that Pedro brought the force with him to the casino. And Pedro is clearly in on whatever Lee was doing... And Pedro knows all about us...'

'So, Lee lied to me, the day before the poker game with River, about him only being an acquaintance to Chief Del Soto. Though, he had no problem with me knowing. Yet, at the game, he whispered to me that he was Pedro's friend... He was not lying to try to fool me... And the only other people that he could be lying, to try to fool, are Revy and Rock.... But, why?... Ah. Ho. Ho. Ho...'

Chang then began laughing at what he realized about Lee. And whom Lee really was.

Several seconds later, as Chang stopped laughing, he picked up his cellphone. He then dial a number on his phone, as he though, with mirth, and amusement, 'Lee is as smooth as silk. But, he hasn't fool me. No wonder River did not want to spoil things.'

'This is just so much fun... And Lee is also crazy. As in, crazy as a fox. Such as that teal tie he wore to the game. He was literally flaunting the fact he is hiding in plain sight. Now, that takes balls to do. Especially, in front of the badasses he has seriously pissed off. Still, I'll decide what to do about Lee, tomorrow. But for now, I think I will have my personal duo keep tabs on him, starting in the morning.'

As the other end picked up, the female voice calmly said, in chinese, “What do you need, Chang?”

Chang ordered, in a casual tone of voice, in chinese, “I need you and Annie to tail Lee tomorrow. If he gets into trouble. Help him. Then, contact me. And immediately bring him to me, unharmed. If nothing happens, just leave him alone.”

The voice on the other end of the line replied, in chinese, “Understood. And no problem.”

Chang said, “Thank you.” He then closed his cellphone, and put it in his pocket.

Just then, there was a knock on Chang's door.

Chang said, “It is open.”

As the door opened, he saw River, wearing a red evening gown, like she had on the previous night, along with red slippers. River red clothing and slippers, matched the red color of her dyed hair. Also, she had her hair pulled back in a ponytail.

Chang smiled as the sight before him, as he inquired, in chinese, “River. My dear. What is the occasion?”

River returned Chang's smile, as she answered, in fluent chinese, “I thought you might want to have a nice dinner, with some pleasant company.”

Chang complimented, “What a marvelous idea. And it is nearly time for dinner. Is the restaurant downstairs okay with you.”

River answered, “Yes. That will be fine.”

Chang closed his laptop computer. He then stood up from his desk chair. He walked around his desk, and over to River.

As both of them walked out of the room, and into the hallway, Chang gently shut the door, to his office, behind him.

The romantic couple then headed for the front express elevator, to take them downstairs, to get some dinner, at their private room, inside the casino restaurant.

(_)

Later that evening, just after seven PM, while sitting at his corner booth, at the Last Resort Diner, Lee watched at Pedro finally entered the Last Resort Diner.

The dinner crowd had already left.

Pedro approached Lee, as Lee thought, 'Well, I knew this was coming, this morning. When Pedro told me to expect this. And I don't blame him for the questions he is about to ask. So, I guess I have some explaining to do to Pedro. And unlike the girls, I cannot just tell him to go to hell. And storm off, away from him.'

Pedro walked towards Lee, he saw that Lori was nearby. He turned to Lori, as he said, in english, “Lori, I will have some coffee.”

Lori turned to him, as she replied, “Coming right now.”

Pedro then made his to the right, back, corner booth, that he and Lee shares.

While Pedro sat down, Lori was right behind him, with his usual cup of coffee.

Meanwhile, Lee was still drinking his second refill of his glass of iced cola.

As the steam rose from Pedro's cup of coffee, which was between Lee and Pedro, Pedro just silently stared at Lee for the next few seconds.

Lee sighed, as he said, “Alright. Ask your questions.”

Pedro calmly asked, in an even tone of voice, “How?”

Lee calmly requested, “Not to sound like an ass. But, could you please be more specific in your application of the word, how?”

Pedro broke out laughing, as he thought, 'Only a writer would make such a comment.'

As Pedro calmed down, he responded, “Fair enough. So, how? Where? And when did you learn all those skills you that showed yesterday, at the poker game.”

Lee answered, “The poker skills are obvious. I spent months playing Sam, and a few others. I became skilled at playing that game, from experience. And a few pointers from Sam. The others skills... Well...”

Pedro stated, “Spit it out. I want to know where you learned to throw a card like that. To the point it was able to embed itself into a table. And where did you learned to speak those languages from. I suspect something happened in this city, that I don't know about, and I want to know what happened, right now.”

Lee was silent for a few seconds, as he thought, 'I am going to have to tell, Pedro. I got no choice.'

Lee said, “During the Day of the Dead, we all got stuck in a time loop that only I remember.” He mentally added, 'Except Harvey. But, we have an agreement, so there is no need to worry Pedro about him.' He continued, “The time lopped worked like a Groundhogs Day time loop, only it resets at midnight, back to five AM. And we were stuck in those loops for over twenty years.”

Pedro thought, 'I was right. This is one hell of an answer.' He commented, “So, that is why that day felt like it would never end?”

Lee replied, “Yes.”

Pedro inquired, “So, how did you use your time in the time loop?”

Lee answered, “For the most part, I spent my time well in that time loop. I learned a lot. And learned everything from throwing knives and cards, to learning to speak, read, and write, a number of languages. I am quite the artist now, too. And that is only the tip of the iceberg, of the skill sets I now possess.”

Pedro commented, “Sounds like the time loop was fun for you.”

Lee shrugged, as he replied, “It was.” He thought, 'I got to live twenty more years, or so, than I otherwise would have not. For that, I am grateful.'

Pedro picked up his cup. He took a sip of his coffee. He then set down his cup, back on the table, as he inquired, “You didn't do anything stupid while in that temporal loop?”

Lee thought, 'I am glad he did not ask me who I learned those skills from. He might have a different, more disappointing opinion of me. But, I have to admit to something. And I know just what to admit too.'

Lee admitted, “I played a few pranks on the girls. But, since they don't remember, we are fine.”

Pedro agreed, “Okay. And I have a feeling that the less I know about it, the safer, and saner, I will continue to be.”

Lee said, “That is because you are probably right.”

Pedro asked, “So, what are you going to do now that you have revealed your hidden talents to the girls?”

Lee responded, “I admit that I have pretty much blown most of my hidden advantages in that game. And I am starting to think about alternatives, to my current long term plans.”

Pedro thought, with concern, 'He is screwed, and he knows it. Still, he is taking it a lot better than I would, in his position.'

Pedro said, “That is wise. And the very fact you realize this is one of two reasons I am still going to help you. The other reason is you really have a talent for this cloak and dagger shit. Revy and Chang put you in a no win situation, and you still came out of it in one piece.”

Lee stated, “Well, River now knows about me. So, we should also be thankful that the playful, telepathic genius wants to play along.”

Pedro said, “Yes. We should. But, still you are a talented man.”

Lee replied, “I know... So, you said this morning, that Annie is at the casino?”

Pedro stated, “Yes. Though, I am not sure why she is working for a man she hates?”

Lee said, “Knowing Chang, he likely offered Annie a lot of money, and a lot of freedom, at whatever job he has for her.”

Pedro commented, “I pray that she is not one of Chang's assassins. If that is the case, we might as well just surrender, right now. Because I am not going to start a damn war with Darth Vader!”

Lee snapped, in a firm, even tone of voice, “Calm down. There are other people in this room.”

Pedro forced himself to calm down, as he conceded, in a normal tone of voice, “You're right.”

Lee stated, “Listen, Pedro. I doubt Annie would allow herself to become an assassin. She might be one of Chang's enforcers, but not his assassin. And if Annie is an enforcer, she would like use force mind tricks, and a telekinesis to keep from harming her targets. She has a lot of abilities she can use, to get what she wants, without being violent.'

Pedro said, “That is nice to hear. Still, her being in the city is scary enough, as is.”

Lee responded, “Not really. If you think about. Annie is no longer the self-loathing monster that Darth Vader was. Nor, is she the immature Anakin Skywalker. When I wrote about her, I put a lot of work into her character development. She has emotionally matured into a sane, well adjusted adult. Sure, she is more powerful than ever in the force. But, she now as a firm sense of right and wrong, along a sense of responsibility, behind that power.”

“Also, barring the gender change, and the associated problems with being a woman, she is likely very happy with her situation. She now has a completely healthy, youthful, adult body. She is out of that black suit. Also, she has friends, and a good life.”

“And given how I showed her what her life would have been like, if I had not had her captured by the Hell Sabers, I do not think she is unhappy with me. As such, I do not think she is after me. And I am so glad I wrote her that way. Though, her literally living in the same city we are in, does concern me. But, only for obvious reasons.”

Pedro replied, “I can see your point on this.”

Lee took a swallow of his glass of cola. He then set the glass down. He inquired, “So, anything else you would like to talk to me about?”

Pedro answered, “Yes. A few things. For example, the pit bosses for Chang's casino are Spike and Jet... Well, Jetta. I honestly did think that Jet would be turned into a woman, as well.”

Lee admitted, “That completely took me by surprise, as well. I set it up so that Jet would have the option to use the rejuvenation therapy that Ed used. No gender bending involved.”

Pedro responded, “I know. I guess something happened.”

Lee agreed, “Probably. Jet has always had good reasons for all his, or her, actions. As she is the most levelheaded of the entire Bebop group.”

Pedro stated, “Agreed. And I also agree with Chang's choice of making them the pit bosses.”

Lee said, “Yea. They are pretty sharp, and fairly honest move on Chang's part. And Jetta will likely keep the body count and violence low, on the gaming floor. Jetta has never been cold blooded.”

Pedro stated, “Yes. And that thought helps calm my nerves, given the situation at hand.”

Lee commented, “At least with Chang, the serenity crew, and the bebop crew, they will not play games. If they are going to hurt, or kill someone, they are going to be straightforward about it. And they will usually warn that person, first.”

Pedro said, “I know. I don't have to worry about being poisoned by them.”

Lee replied, “Yes. That is a good example of what I am talking about.”

(_)

Lee and Pedro then talked for another ten minutes, on a few other issues. Such, as what was going on in other parts of the island, that both men thought the other made need to be aware of.

At the end of their conversation, Lee stated, “Well, I guess I had better head out. I have some serious thinking to do about my future.”

Pedro requested, “Yes. You do. But, before you leave, I want to see how good you are at throwing. And not just at cards.”

Lee stated, “I am not throwing knives. I have found that things can break real easily.”

Pedro said, “Fair enough. How about a coin?”

Lee inquired, “How about a U.S. quarter?”

Pedro stated, “That will work.”

Lee mentioned, “And I will be using my precognition.”

Pedro replied, “That is fine, as well.”

Lee said, “Now to find something to use as a target.”

Lee and Pedro got up and walked out of the corner of the booth, and into the restaurant proper.

Lee noticed that there were no other customers in the room. Only Mary, Lori, and George. Mary and Lori had sat down, in stools, at the counter. George was talking to them, as he stood across the counter.

Lee thought, 'Good. There will be no witnesses, except Lori, George, and Mary. And they clearly know to keep quiet on what Pedro and I discuss here. Or, I would have been captured, a long time ago. Now, how am I going to do this.'

As the two man looked around, Lee saw a vase, with a pink flower in it, the other side of the counter. Though, the vase was near the three employees of the diner.

Lee thought, 'That will do. Though, the vase is near those three. So, I better talk to them, before I do this. Also, I probably need to move the vase. And I know just where to put it.'

As Pedro stood were he was, Lee walked over to the three adults. Lee said, “Hello guys. I was wondering. Would you like to see a trick?”

The three adult employees stopped walking, as they turned to Lee.

Lori asked, “What kind of trick?”

Lee said, “If you are willing to part with that flower. I was planning to do a throw trick.”

Lori looked back at Mary and George. Both of them each nodded once. Lori then turned back to Lee, as she said, “Sure.”

Lee walked over and picked up the vase with the flower in it.

Lee then turned around, and walked back to the side of the room, where he and Pedro had been setting, away from everyone else in the diner.

Meanwhile, Pedro walked over to stand beside Mary, Lori.

Lee then set the vase on the table right in front of the side window, where the diner turned towards the corner.

Next, Lee walked back to where he was about thirty feet away from the vase, and about ten feet from the four other adults.

Lee looked over at them, as he said, “Pay attention.”

Lee turned around to face the vase, as he reached into his right pants pocket and pulled out a U.S. quarter.

Lee used his hands to set the quarter on his right thumb.

Lee then flipped the coin a foot into the air.

A second later, after the spinning coin reached its apex, and started falling, in the blink of an eye, Lee caught the coin between his right index and middle finger. He then swiftly flicked his right fingers and hand towards the vase, while he let go of the coin.

A split second later, the coin sliced through the flower, where the bloom met the stem.

As the bloom fell to the table, the coin bounced off the wall, and hit the floor.

Lee turned around, as Pedro, Lori, Mary, and George clapped for him performing his trick, for a few seconds.

As the four adults finished clapping, Pedro complimented, “That was very good.”

George said, “Nice trick.”

Mary commented, “That must have taken a lot of practice to learn.”

Lori stated, “I have seen better. But, not by much.”

Lee joked, “Thank you. And you can keep the change.”

This caused the other four other adults to laugh, for a few seconds.

As the laughter died down, Pedro said, “Well, it looks like it is time to hit the road.”

Lee replied, “I agree. And I hope everyone has a pleasant night.”

Lori said, “You to, Lee.”

Lee then realized something, as he thought, 'I better tell Pedro something about my bill, or he will wonder why I am not going to pay it. And I don't want him to know my meal and drink were on the house. Still, I know just what to say.'

Lee turned to Pedro, as he commented, “I already handled the bill for my order, tonight.”

Lori snickered a little from Lee's comment.

Pedro ignored Lori, as he turned to Lee. He replied, “Okay.”

Given Lee's meal and drink were on the house. He did not pay for them. Though, he did leave a tip for the employees. Which they were grateful for.

Meanwhile, Pedro paid his bill, and he tipped Lori.

After which, Pedro and Lee left the diner, one right after the other, though the front doors.

As Lee and Pedro walked outside, with them heading for their own cars, Lee thought, 'That was fun. Still, I really do have some thinking I need to do. And I know a good place to do it, at this time in the evening.”

Less than a minute later, Lee made it to his car, and he was soon on the road back to the Devil's Hotel.

(_)

Eight minutes later, Lee had already parked his car, and walked into the hotel lobby. He soon made it into the hotel restaurant.

As he looked around, he saw Revy, and her group at the tables, by the stage, as they took turns singing karaoke. Though, the women did let others, in the room, whom were outside of their group, have turns at singing karaoke.

Right now, Dutch was doing a good job of singing a country western song.

As Lee turned and started walking towards the bar counter, he saw that Melvin was standing behind the counter.

Melvin was talking to man, from across the ground, whom had his back turned to Lee. With the other person was sitting on a stool, with an open bottle of beer in front of him. Also, there was no one else around the two men.

Lee thought, 'From the way the situation looks, I think this is one of Melvin's friends. It will be interesting to meet him.

As Lee walked towards them, he saw, that even from behind, that the man was a fair skin. He wore a green long sleeve shirt, brown pants, a black leather belt, black boots, and a white baseball cap.

From the man's skin complexion, on the exposed skin on the man's neck, along with the nearly white head of hair, that the man was likely in his mid-sixties.

Lee thought, 'It would make sense for Melvin to have friends his own age.'

Lee walked up to the two men, with Lee stating by the bar counter, to the left side of the man sitting in the stool.

Melvin turned to Lee, as he stated, “Hi Lee. I did not see you, nor Sam at dinner.”

Lee honestly answered, “Sam has been busy all week. And I decided to eat somewhere else. I just needed a break from a few things.” He the used his eyes to glance in the direction of Revy and the others in her group, by the stage.

Melvin understood what Lee meant, as he grinned. He said, “Got you.”

Lee turned back to the two men, as he inquired, “So, who is your friend?”

Melvin happily responded, “One of the most interesting people, I have ever met.”

Lee thought, 'Coming for you. That is saying a lot.'

The man sitting in the stool turned to face Lee, as Melvin introduced the two of them to each other, “Well, this is a good friend of mine, from way back. His name is, Burt. And Burt, this is Lee, one of my best, nicest, and most polite customers.”

As Lee looked at Burt's face, he instantly recognized him. It took every once of Lee's willed power not to show his fanboy side in front of Burt. And though he remained calm on the outside, he mentally squealed in joy, 'Holy shit! It is Burt Gummer. I am in the presence of a one of the greatest gun-nuts in the multiverse. A monster hunter extraordinaire. A survivalist with no peer. And while he can be rough around the edges. He is also a decent guy, once you get to know him. He practices gun safety. And he is one hell badass.'

'Rambo wishes he was this guy. I am so happy I wrote about him, so I would have a chance to meet him. And the best part is, I didn't really do anything to him, except give him the proverbial swift kick in the ass he needed to move on with his life, after his wife left him, and he blew up his home. To be honest, getting him out of Nevada was likely the best thing that ever happened to him.”

'And with the reality device he gained, he likely lead an even more colorful life than he already had. As hard as that is to believe.'

'Also, from Pedro, I already knew Burt was here. But, it is great to meet him in person. I would ask for his autograph, if I didn't know it would cause problems. And it makes sense that Burt would be Melvin's friend, since both of them are friends with Pedro.'

'And Melvin said, friends from way back. So, Burt and Melvin having been friends since they were in both Roanapur. With Burt knowing Melvin is Yurick, and he in hiding. And Burt likely knows while. And Burt keeps this quiet to protect his from, Melvin.'

'While, I am sure Burt knows about the Black Lagoon series. I know. I hinted at that, in my stories. I wonder if Melvin knows that Burt is a fictional character from the Tremors franchise? Not that it really matters. And asking that question would blow what little I have left of my cover.'

'In addition, even though I am sure Burt likely has a working reality device, somewhere on this island. Likely on his person, or in his own. I am not even going to try to even look for his reality device. Because I respect that man. And I do not want to drag him into my mess.'

Meanwhile, Burt extended his right hand towards Lee, as he said, “Nice to meet you, Lee.” He shrugged, to his right side, towards Melvin, as he continued, “And this Melvin here is a lot nicer guy than another Melvin I knew back home.”

Lee firmly gripped Burt's hand, with his own right hand. As Lee shook the badass' hand, he thought, 'I know who you are talking about, Burt. And no arguments there. And your handshake has the firm sincerity that I would come to expect from a honorable man such are yourself.' Lee said, “It is a nice to meet you, Burt.”

Both men noticed that the other man had a firm, but not tight handshake.

As they broke their handshake, Melvin stated, “I knew Burt from the town we both use to live in. He had the brains to leave long before things go out of hand. When the first signs started appearing.”

Lee thought, 'Well, that confirms that.'

Burt commented, “A long time ago, I learned to watch for the warning signs of trouble.”

Lee thought, 'That is an understatement, in so many ways.'

Melvin went onto say, “Anyway, Burt came to this town five years ago, and he set up shop here, on the island.”

Lee thought, 'That is around the same time you showed up, Melvin. That has to be more than consequence. But, I do not have the time, nor justification, to look into that little mystery.'

Melvin stated, “Burt, here, is likely the best gunsmith you will ever meet. If you ever need a gun repaired, let me know, and I will contact Burt here, for you.”

Burt smiled, as he said, “Lee, I would be more than happy to have your business. And I will do so at a reasonable price.”

Lee returned Burt's smile, as he replied, “Thank you for the offer.” He thought, 'Now to confirm something that Pedro said.' He inquired, “I take it the police know about you?”

Burt smile curled into a smirk, as he answered, “Of course. Their police chief took one look at my work and hired me, on the spot, to repair, customize, and help procure, their firearms. At a very good price rate, I might at. I got a wonderful contact with them. And the police let me get some good range time in with my weapons, on an outdoor field. Unlike the previous town I lived in.”

From the corner of his left eye, Lee saw Melvin roll he eyes for a few seconds. Lee then saw Melvin look back at Burt, and himself.

Lee then focused on Burt, as he replied, “I am glad to hear that.”

Melvin stated, “By the way, Lee. I heard about you win last night, at the casino. Congratulates.”

Burt inquired, “So, you are the person that won that million dollars in chips?”

Lee turned to look at both Burt and Melvin, as he commented, “Yes. But, it was someone else's money. I didn't even see a dime of it.

Melvin commented, “Well that sucks.”

Lee deadpanned, “No kidding.” He then continued, in a more normal tone of voice, “But, at least I still have bragging rights.”

Melvin smiled, as he agreed, “That you do.”

Burt complimented, “That is a good way to looked at it. And now you know you can handle playing high stakes poker.”

Lee thought, with amusements, 'On levels you don't even realize.'

Burt continued, 'And there is always, better luck next time.”

Lee agreed, “True.” He mentally added, 'That is what I like about you, Burt. You look the brighter side of things.'

Melvin asked, “So, what can I do for you, Lee?”

Lee answered, “I just came here for a cold bottle of beer.”

Melvin said, “Okay. One second.” He then leaned down, and pulled out a cold bottle of beer, from a decent brand.

Melvin set the bottle on the bar counter, between him and Lee.

Lee reached into one of his pockets, and pulled out a few one dollar bills. He checked what he had, to make sure he didn't accidentally give Melvin a couple of hundred dollar bills by mistake.

After Lee had the right cash in his hands, he pocketed the rest of the money. He then set the few dollars onto the counter, as he said, “This should cover it.”

Melvin collected the money, as he replied, “Thank you.”

As Lee picked up the cold bottle of beer, he said to Melvin, “Good night, Melvin.”

Melvin replied, “Sleep well, Lee.”

Lee turned to Burt, as he stated, “It was nice meeting you, Burt. I hope to meet you again, sometime.” He bitterly thought, 'If I live that long. Which is looking more like that won't be the case.'

Burt happily said, “You as well, Lee.”

Lee turned around, and started walking toward the exit of the hotel restaurant, as he thought, 'Now, to got to a quiet place to think. Somewhere I can walk around. Which means the tightness of my suite is out. And I have know just the place to go, on the ground floor, where no one will likely bother me, during this time of the year.'

A few seconds later, Lee was out the open double-doors to the restaurant, as he headed for his destination, in another part of the hotel.

(_)

A few minutes before Lee left the restaurant, near the Devil's Hotel restaurant stage, Natsuru was sitting with her two lovers, and their three daughters. She turned her attention to the door, as she noticed Lee walk in.

Natsuru thought, 'I am glad that Lee finally showed up. Given what happened this morning, I would not be surprised if he did decide to leave town.'

Natsuru then watched as Lee walked up to the bar with Melvin and another man. She mentally reflected, 'I wonder who that is?'

Natsuru watched the three of them talk for a minute, then Lee bought a bottle of beer, and left.

Natsuru thought, 'I think someone needs to talk to him.' She turned to her family, as she said, “Girls, I will be back in a little while.”

Akira looked over at Natsuru, as she commented, “Okay. Have fun.” She then turned back to watching Dutch doing a good job of singing a western song on stage.

Natsuru then got up from her seat, and she started walking towards the exit of the restaurant. As she do so, she turned her head to looked at Melvin and the other man.

While her angle to them changed, she eventually got a good look at the other man's face. And she immediately realized who it was.

Natsuru thought, in surprise, 'My god! It is Burt Gummer from Tremors films and TV series... Oh yea... In the stories, Burt set up shop in Roanapur for a while. He even made Akira and Bob's revolvers. Also, he had a good business relationship with Hotel Moscow, and the Triad, in the city. So, it would make sense that Melvin would know him. And from the look of it, Melvin and Burt are friends.'

'Since this is a city of badasses. Just badasses that like to live a quiet life. It fits that Burt would end up here, as well. Also, that it might be the reason Burt showed up. He likely used the reality device to think of a town, at a specific time, that he could enjoy living in. And this town, at this time, fits the profile.'

'Though, I better not mention Burt to the others. Violin will got into full on fangirl mode, and risk exposing our presence to the public, here. Yet, I think it would be best if I leave Melvin alone about this. The more we leave each other alone, the less chance of Revy and the others learn who Melvin really is. And from them, Balalaika learning who he is, and coming after him.'

'Besides, both those men have been through enough, already.'

'Now, to go talk to, Lee.'

Natsuru then turned her attention back to the exit, as she continued following Lee, at a comfortable distance, to wherever Lee was headed.

(_)

At that moment, back at the bar counter, Burt turned to the stage, as he looked at Revy's group. He commented, “I see the girls finally showed up. With company.”

Melvin leaned over, as quietly said to Burt, “Please, keep voice down. Some of them have some very sharp hearing.”

Burt turned back to Melvin, as he leaned closer to friend. He softly responded, “I take, they don't know who you are?”

Melvin whispered, “Nope. And I would like to keep it that way.”

Burt leaned up, as he said, “I understand. We will talk about it, later. In more private surrounds.”

Melvin leaned back up, as he replied, “That will be fine with me.”

Burt got up from his stool. He picked up his beer and finished the last swallow. Next, he gently set the empty bottle back down on the counter, as he commented, “Well, I better head out.” He then pulled out a five dollar U.S. bill. He continued, “This could cover the drink and tip.”

Melvin picked up the bill, and looked at it. He turned to Bert, as he responded, “It will.”

Burt stated, “See you, later.”

Melvin said, “You too.”

Melvin then went to the front cash resigster, to ring up the sale, and collect his tip from the change.

While this went on, Burt turned and walked out of the restaurant. He soon reached his pickup truck, in the parking lot. After which, he got into his pickup truck, started it, and headed back to his home for the night.

(_)

Meanwhile, as Lee walked outside, by the Devil Hotel's outdoor pool, by the front left corner of the hotel. With the privacy finished on the front side of the pool area, being floor with the front outer wall of the hotel.

Given it was late autumn, with the constant cool weather, no one was around pool, at that time of the year.

The pool was a very large, rectangular shaped pool. That was a hundred yards long, and fifty yards wide. With the pool facing long ways, away from the left side of the Devil's Hotel building.

The shallow end was six feet deep, with the shallow end being about a twenty percent of the pool floor, was on one long end of the pool, deep. With the shallow end dropping off, with the rest of the pool being thirty feet feet deep. The far deep end of the pulled had three different diving boards, at different heights, from three different parts of the side of the far deep end of the pool.

There were ladders at several points, along the sides of the pool, to allow people to get out. And the two far shallow end corners had small steps leading into the pool, with a stainless steel guard rail leading down the center each of the steps.

There was a concrete deck around the pool, that stretched almost to the buildings. The concrete was mixed with very small seashells. With the floor of the desk sanded, to be flat, and not have the seashells sharp edged cut the bare feet of the swims.

Except for the walked ways leading to the hotel and fence doors, there some dirt areas lining the pool area, around the privacy fence and building. With large bushes planted in the dirt areas.

On the outer hotel walls, there were black painted lamps. And along the fence, there were black painted lamps, of the same style, as those on the outer walls.

The pool itself was lined with padding, with a blue and white pattern. With the pooled itself using a saltwater regulation system, instead of chemicals, to keep things from growing in water of the pool.

Even in the autumn, as it was not, the hotel staff maintained the pool, and kept it clean. So, that even though, it was to cold to swim. Those customers that did check out the pool, would see it was well maintained. Allowing the hotel staff, to entice the customers to return to the hotel, during a warmer season of the year.

As Lee casually walked further outside, he saw that it had finally gotten dark. Though, the lamps on the outside walls, and fence, of the hotel, provided plenty of light to see with.

And Lee found the area to have the perfect eerie, yet comfortable, environment he needed to do some serious, deep thinking about his life.

Lee then opened his cold bottle of beer, in his left hand, and tossed the cap into a nearby trash can. Lee then began drinking from a bottle of beer, as he slowly walked around the outdoor pool at the Devil's hotel, in a clockwise rotation.

There was no one else there, and the solitude that Lee felt, let him relax enough think about how screwed up his life had become, compared to his already screwed up life.

Suddenly, Lee heard a female voice said, from behind him, “You look like a guy with a lot on his mind.”

Lee came to a stop. He calmly turned around, and he saw Natsuru, as a woman, wearing a simple blue pants, a white blouse, and blue tennis shoes, standing six feet from him.

Lee took another drink from his beer bottle. He then honestly answered, “You don't know the half of it.”

Natsuru offered, in a supportive tone of voice, “I am willing to listen. And I hope that by me doing so, it will help make up for our actions this morning.”

Lee mentally reflected, 'And I have to be careful about what I say to you. Still, you are trying to help. So, I will let you.'

Lee stated, “I am already over that... And alright, I will be honest with you. I am pretty much screwed. The hammer is falling down on me, and I cannot stop it.”

Natsuru asked, “How so?”

Lee replied, “I am a wanted man, back in the states. It doesn't matter if I did the crime, or not. The government wants my ass.”

Natsuru questioned, “What about the courts, and due process?”

Lee snorted, as he thought, 'Given I wrote it that you spent a few years as a cop, it is not surprising that you would bring up those details. Still...” Lee answered, in a sober tone of voice, “It seems due process, and justice, no longer exist in this world. Maybe such concepts never did, to begin with. But now, such concepts are like fairy tails. They don't exist here.”

Natsuru pointed out, “Are you so sure? We know you are friends with the local police chief.”

Lee inquired, “You heard about that?”

Natsuru commented, “After what you pulled in the casino, with that quote you made, at the moment the police showed up, everyone figured it out.”

Lee mentally reflected, 'Damn. I was worried that would happen. I knew if I ever quoted anything, or make any injokes, that it would get me in trouble. And I guess I am right. Also, Pedro was my ace in the hole, and I was forced to play that card in that game. Pun intended.'

Lee sighed. He then stated, “Ah, the casino game. I guess that was to be expected. Was Revy always this greedy?”

Natsuru replied, “She use to be a lot worse.”

Lee thought, 'Yes. Looting from the dead is about as greedy as one can get. Fortunately, she seems to have gotten much better, even before I wrote about her. She may have been a questionable influence on Rock. But, Rock was a good influence on her. That is why, even after everything I put them through, I made sure they stated together.'

Lee said, “I will take your word for that.”

Natsuru asked, “So, what is your relationship with Pedro? And why can he not help you with this?”

Lee thought, 'I might as well give her an answer. Ironically. Given our situations. It will be a fairly honest answer.'

Lee explained, “Well, to answer your questions. It is both a, yes and no, situation. It is more of a situation where we found ourselves in a mess, and we both are helping each other, as we try to work our way out of our mess. And I don't think he can help me with this. Before the talent contest, no one knew I was here. And the police chief could keep the heat off of me.”

“But, after the talent contest, and yesterday's poker game, there is not much he can do. While rumors of the talent contest only mentioned my presence in passing. After that poker game. Even if it is not directly hitting the media circuits. When a person wins a million dollars at the gaming tables. Even though I didn't get to keep any of the winnings. It is going to draw worldwide attention.”

“Everyone knows I am here. The problem is how they are going to come after me. And the police chief cannot protect me from that kind of heat.”

Natsuru suggested, “Then run, Lee”

Lee stated, with defeat, and tiredness, in his tone of voice, “Where? If you haven't noticed, I am don't have a lot of money. Plus, my options are extremely limited. I burned my passport, and other IDs, when I first got here, so no one could learn who I really am. So, I cannot leave this country. And I lucked out that the local government here ignores the strict Mexican immigration and foreigner laws. But, for me, there is nowhere left that I can run too.”

Natsuru began, “Well, I...”

From Natsuru's facial expressions and body language, Lee could tell she was mentally struggling with something important.

Lee mentally guessed, 'Yea. I know what you want to offer me the option of reality travel. But, Rock probably forbid you to mention that technology to outsiders. I am starting to regret making Rock so strict on that issue. Still, let us settle this before you say something you may regret later.'

Lee said, “Don't worry about it. I will deal with it myself.”

Lee saw Natsuru stopped mentally struggling with herself, as he body language and facial expression relaxed.

Natsuru inquired, with concern in her tone of voice, “Are you sure?”

Lee honestly replied, “No. But, I don't want to drag you into my mess.”

Natsuru grinned, as she said, “I appreciate that. Have a good night, Lee.”

Lee responded, “You too, Natsuru.”

Lee watched Natsuru turn around, and walk back inside the hotel.

Once Natsuru was out of sight, from the window paned double-hinged double-doors, that lead from the hotel interior, to the pool area, he turned around and started back to slowly walking around the pool, in a clockwise rotation.

And as Lee walked, he was careful not to get so caught up in his thoughts, that he accidentally fell into the pool.

While Lee slowly continued to walk around the pool, he though, with concern, and tiredness, 'I probably need to start trying to decide who to surrender too. I am not going to surrender to any government, over this. They will disappear me to some place where I would wish I was dead. I will kill myself first, before I willing go with them. Which, unfortunately, is an option.'

'If Natsuru, Ranma, and Akira were in charge of this hunt, I would likely have already surrendered to them. They are twisted, but I would likely weather the revenge they would have on me. And I would still be in one piece, afterward. They would likely also cure my cancer.'

'But, Rock and Revy are in charge. With Rock having one of the most creative, and devious minds, in the multiverse. And Revy. Well, I can name actual demons, across the multiverse, that are genuinely nicer than her, on some of her good days. Though, I have to admit, Revy has gotten a lot better, in her temperament, than she use to be.'

'Then, there is Eda and Yolanda. I haven't spoken much to Yolanda. But, all things considered. Given I restored her youth, and replaced her lost eye, I would guess I am in good standing with her. And I have no illusions about Eda. That was a one night stand, which meant nothing lasting between us. And we both slept with each other under false pretenses.'

'She pretending to be just a girl working a hamburger food truck, and I did not let her know that I was the writer she was hunting. People tend to become very unpredictable, and hypocritical, in such situations. And Eda can be just as dangerous, and scary, as Revy, when she wants to be. That is one coin toss I want to avoid flipping, unless I have no choice.'

'My instincts tell me not to discount Chang, as an option. The problem is I have no idea where I stand with him. I put that man through the ringer. I took him to the top of the world, in every possible way, and then I tore him down. Now, he is back on his way to the top, on my home Earth. Which honestly scares me on a few levels.'

'Still, River is clearly keeping my identity a secret, or I would be dead, or worse, right now. So that, and the gift she gave me this morning, are positive signs towards Chang's group.'

'Though, if I go to Chang, I need to take into account those under him, or nearby. Annie is likely on the fence. As long as I am nice to her, I probably have little to worry about from her.'

'Spike and Mal probably want my blood. And I am sure that many of the rank and file of Chang's employment, whom are mostly women, were under Chang's employment in Roanapur. And it is likely a number of the women I saw working at the casino, were originally men, that I had turned into women, and I had brainwashed. So, they are a question mark.'

'Though, given I have not seen any of the rank and file staff, looking around town for me. I can guess that Chang, and the others, have no informed them of my stories. And that more for me, in a number of ways, than against me.'

'Still, at worst, if the rank and file found out who I was, and what I did to them, they would likely just shoot me dead. Not a bad way to go, considering my other options. But, I doubt they would risk Chang's wrath.'

'Jet, Faye, River, and the rest of the Serenity crew could probably care less about me. Except, Jayne. Though, I gave him a good friend and drinking buddy, in the form of Bob. So, I think Jayne would probably just punch me in the jaw, or gut, and walk away.'

'I could confess to Sam. He seems like a nice guy. We agree we are good friends. If not best friends. And I know he has friends of questionable morality, whom probably have the resources, to at least help me escape this country, if I wanted too.'

'But, even if Sam believed me, it is toss up if he would help me. And I risk flushing my friendship with him down the toilet for keeping these major, life changing secrets, from him, for so long.'

'And now that I think about it, Pedro might be able to get me out of the county. But, like I said to Natsuru, there is nowhere for me to go. And the cancer is going kill me in a few months, anyway.'

'My situation is becoming a question of how, and where, I want to die?...'

'Though, whatever I decide, I am going to have to decide soon. If I don't, someone else, or the cancer, will decide for me.'

'But, for now, I need to get some sleep.'

Lee then finished his bottle of beer. After which, he began to head back inside the hotel.

Lee tossed his empty bottle of beer into the trash can, which he passed by, as he headed for the hotel doors.

Once Lee was inside the hotel, he headed for the hotel lobby, and the front elevator bay.

Soon after, Lee was on the third floor.

A minute later, he made it into his suite, where he would get some sleep, for the night.

To be continued.

up
43 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thanks for nothing

Put your life on the line, make fun of some of the most badass of the badasses of the multiverse and what do you get? Nothing, not even a thanks but what have you done for me lately? Lee was met with 'what did...?. how did....? why did.....? where did......? So Lee did the only sane thing, told the badasses he knew to 'go to hell.' From the crest of victory to the valley of criticism. Thanks, jerks. Not only that but more and more are finding out about him, both as writer and as terminally ill. Push has met Shove. Now Lee must get his considerable talents together and figure out how he wants to go out! No cure within reach, none sane to surrender to maybe Scorpy or even Annie, but times is about up. Excellent chapter. It shows how one can go from the pinnacle of winning against all odds to fall into the dumps with no way out. I have faith in the writer, I know he will win in the end. he just can't see it yet.
Thanks for the roller coaster ride. It just keeps getting better.