Badasses Of the Multiverse: Book 5: Volume 1: Chapter 11

Printer-friendly version

Badasses Of the Multiverse Book 5: “The Gambling Man.”

Volume 1: “De La Plata Podrido.”

Chapter 11: “The Sharp, The Deadly, And The Beautiful.”

By Paul Cousins.

Copyright Disclaimer: All copyrighted places, characters, items, and events, within the story, are held by their current owners. No profit is being made on this work of fiction.

(_)

It was a late, sunny, cool morning, three days after Melvin has finished reading the stories, three nights ago. As Melvin finally made it to work in the hotel restaurant, outside, a large passenger bus drove up to the far right side of the Devil's hotel building, with the passenger side by the sidewalk. Though, the bus parked away from the lobby windows, so they were not seen.

Inside the bus were twelve heavily armed, mexican men, including the driver. Their ages ranged from eighteen to thirty-five. They were all dressed in casual clothing for their gender and culture.

One of the men walked up to the driver, as he asked, in spanish, “Is everything set?”

The driver put the vehicle into park, as he let it idle, with the keys in the ignition. He go up from his seat, and turned to man standing by him. He answered, in spanish, “Yes. We have covers all our bases.”

The other man inquired, “Are you sure? Do we have enough plastic handcuffs?”

The driver replied, “Plenty.”

The man questioned, “What about the local cartel?”

The driver said, “No problem there. Weeks ago, they left the island one night, with no reason given. Best I can guess, someone, or something spooked them.”

The man asked, “What about about the police?”

The driver responded, “We are fine there, as well. We cased this place for the last week. For some reason, the police do not come around here.”

The man inquired, “And how many women are we taking? And for how much for each one?”

The driver answered, “Twenty-one women in all. And if they are as hot, young, and exotic, as what has been reported, we could get as much as twenty-five grand apiece, U.S. cash. After expenses, that is over forty-three thousand apiece.”

The man agreed, “I know. Not bad for four hours of work, at most. An hour and a half to get here. Twenty minutes to get them into the buses. And then two hours to get them to buyers. After which, we are paid, and we celebrate.”

The driver said, “You got that right.”

The man commented, “Though, I wonder if any of these women will give us trouble.”

The driver stated, “Well then, these bitches should be made to know their place.”

The man joked, “Which is the missionary position?”

The driver agreed, “Exactly.”

Both men then laughed for a few seconds.

After they finished laughing, the driver picked up his assault rifle. He turned to his men, as he ordered, “Okay, guys. We are heading in there, in two minutes.”

(_)

Two minutes later, Rock, Revy, and the rest of their twenty-one women group, were sitting around the front lobby couches and chairs.

The other tenants seem to avoid the lobby when the women groups together like that. Though, the clerks knew better than to say anything on the matter, towards the women in question.

Shenhua, Revy, Lotton, Aeryn, Violin, and a few others, had their weapons on them. Though, they were hidden in their clothing, except for Revy, whom did not feel the need to high her cutlasses from the work.

Revy turned to Rock, as she asked, “So, what do you want to do today?”

Rock answered, “Not a clue. We could search for the writer, but all we can be sure of is that he is here, and he is nearby.”

Revy stated, with annoyance in her voice, “All this cloak and dagger bullshit is boring the hell out of me. I would literally kill for some action.”

Suddenly, twenty armed mexican gang members stormed into the lobby, from the outside.

As they pointed their weapons in all directions, the two clerks at the check in desk, ducked down under their desks.

A second later, one of the men barked, in english, in a heavy spanish accent, “Alright bitches! Hands up! You are coming with us! And into the back of our bus! Anyone who does not comply, is going to die!”

The women just looked at each other for a seconds, they then looked back at the mexican gang with feral grins that set the all twelve armed men on edge.

Through her feral grin, Revy stated, in an excited tone of voice, “Ask, and ye shall receive!”

The women pounced on the men before they knew what happened.

(_)

A minute beforehand, in the hotel bar restaurant, Lee and Sam decided to stay at the hotel, for the morning, and get an early lunch, as they had a heart to heart conversation about their friendship.

The reason they had not yet gone to the Rats Nest bar, was that Lee felt that even with Revy and her crew in the hotel, that hotel offered a better atmosphere, than going to the Rats Nest.

This was the first day, in the last few days that Sam had finally showed up with Lee. And Lee was making the most of his time with Sam.

Though, Lee was also working up the nerve to ask the most important question towards Sam. What was going on with Sam?

At the moment, Lee and Sam were having an earlier lunch, while sitting at their usual places at the bar counter.

Meanwhile, Melvin was nearby, standing behind the bar counter, while taking care of a few things.

Lunch rush had yet to happen for the day, with only Melvin, Lee, and Sam, being the only ones presently in the room.

As they waited for their meal, Lee finally worked up the nerve to ask the important question, that had been on his mind. He turned to Sam, as he stated, “Sam, what is with you lately? You have gone for the last few days, without tell me what is going on.”

Sam turned to Lee, while he stated, in a sad tone of voice, “I am sorry, Lee, for not telling you my plans up front. It is my girlfriend. She is taking all my time...”

Lee spoke up, with a hint of sarcasm in his voice, “I hope your next words are not, with sex.”

Sam flatly answered, “No... Well, most of the time, no... As I told you, around a week ago. I am helping her move into town. She just seems to like it here. And since I could not talk her out of moving, I am helping her. As a way to direct her how she is moving here. So as to mitigate the situation. She is even on working on getting a place for herself.”

Lee conceded, “That is understandable. Just please, let me know ahead of time, if you are going to be busy for the next few days. I don't want to have to drive, or worse, walk to the Rats Nest, only to find you are not there.” He mentally added, 'Though, I did get to meet V.T. out of that incident. So, I am not to upset about it.'

Sam responded. “Don't worry. I will try to let you know ahead of time. But right now, everything is up in the air for me. Also, if you don't meet me in the hotel in the morning, always drive to the Rats Nest. So, you don't have to walk back to the hotel, if I am not that.”

Lee said, “I will admit that walking, without you present, was an oversight on my part.”

Sam mentioned, “Good. Anyway, I am free today.”

Lee smiled, as he replied, “I am glad to hear that.”

Sam returned Lee's smile, as he offered, “Let's go to the Rats Nest like we usually do.”

Lee responded, “As soon as we have lunch, we will do that. But, we will take my car. I will just order soda, instead of beer, when we go to the Rats Nest.”

Sam replied, “That is fine.”

Suddenly, the three men heard popping noises coming from outside the room.

All three men looked at each other.

Lee asked, in a serious tone of voice, “Are those gunshots?”

Sam and Melvin stated, in unison, “Yes.”

Melvin walked up to the bar counter, right across from them. He looked at Sam and Lee, as he calming stated, “Boys, if things go to hell. Just stay where you are, and stay calm. I will handle the problem.”

Lee replied, “I trust you, Melvin.”

Sam said, “Same here.”

Melvin responded, “Thank you.”

The three men turned to looked at the entrance to the restaurant, as they heard footsteps, coming closer, from outside.

A few seconds later, the four surviving members of mexican gang rushed into the restaurant, from the hallway entrance.

Each man was carrying automatic rifles, and their clothing was covered in the blood of their fallen comrades.

The men rushed into the middle of the room, in a single file line, with them facing Sam, Melvin and Lee.

The three men by the bar counter could see that the four other men had expressions of fear on their faces from what they had just seen.

All three men at the bar counter remained calm, as Lee thought, 'I could probably guess what just happened to those men. It is as I said to Pedro. The second you lose respect for these women, you die.'

Melvin moved to where he stood between Sam and Lee, while all three were looking at the four men.

Melvin calmly whispered, in english, so only his two friends could hear him, “Lee, Sam, don't move.” He then swiftly used his right hand to reach under the bar counter, right by them, and he pulled out his, Tokarev semi-automatic pistol, from the holster under the bar.

Melvin already had one of the rounds, from the eight round clip in the pistol, in the chamber.

While Melvin quickly pulled out his pistol, with his right hand, he used his left hand to pulled the hammer of the weapon back to full, before moving his left hand completely out of the way, as he took aim, before he pulled the trigger. A second later, with his left hand out of the way, Melvin fired shot all four gang members between the eyes, in a matter of three seconds.

The four men were dead before they even hit the ground.

As Melvin slid the pistol back into its holster, that was under the counter, as he said, “Gentlemen. As you can see, pressing matters have to come up. Though, I will check on your orders, in a minute.”

Lee and Sam turned to face Melvin, as Sam said, “No. We are fine. First, do what you need to do.”

Lee stated, “Take your time. And that was good shooing. Though, my ears are going to ring for a little while. But, I can live with that.”

Sam complimented, “Yes. That was good job.”

Lee agreed, “Yes. Very quick and smooth.” He mentally added, 'Everything I would expect from former member of Hotel Moscow.”

Melvin smiled at Sam and Lee, as he replied, “Thank you.”

Just then, several of the women in Rock and Revy's crew, including Rock and Revy as well, rushed into the room. The women had their weapons in their hands, but their weapons were not pointed at anyone.

Melvin noticed that he did not see Ranma, Akira, nor Natsuru. He thought, 'I hope they are alright.'

The women then looked over and then saw the dead gang members on the floor.

Meanwhile, Lee and Sam turned around to face the women, just as Revy asked, “What happened?”

Lee joked, “They caught a bad case of lead fever.”

It took a few seconds, to get Lee's joke. Though, as they did, everyone started laughing in response to Lee jokes, including Lee.

A few seconds later, as they calmed down, Revy complimented, “That is a good. I will have to remember that one.”

Sam inquired, with concern in his tone of voice, “Was anyone hurt?”

Rock answered, “No. Except for the attackers, whom are all dead. We got them, before they could even react.”

Sam replied, “That is good.”

Melvin mentally agreed, 'Yea. I am glad only these idiot scum bags are dead. And I can guess what they were planning to do to you women. And I am glad this is how the situation turned out.'

Rock inquired, “Melvin, you know this town the most. Do we have to worry about the police?”

Melvin answered, “No. This is likely a clear case of self-defense. The police have no respect for idiots that get themselves killed like this. They will sweep it under the rug. They will likely just come here, collect the bodies, and their weapons, but not your weapons, and then leave.”

Revy thought, 'I am just likely this city more and more.' She joked, “Now, that is what I call serving the people.”

Everyone lightly laughed at her comment.

Revy mentally wondered, 'Still, we need to know what those men had in mind. I think I know what it is. And I am sure that Rock does not want to bring up the subject. But, someone has to ask. And I don't fully trust, Melvin. I need to ask someone else here that might know what is going on. That will at least be the level with me, concerned this subject.'

Revy asked, “By the way, who the hell are they? And why did they come here in the first place.” She then turned to Lee, as she added, “Lee?”

Lee thought, 'Why am I not surprised she would ask me? I just need to be careful how I answer this, so I don't upset her, or the other women.' He calmly answered, “I may not be from mexico, but I do pay attention to things. I have questions, before I can answer your question. Did they come after you women first? And how many were there?”

Revy answered, “Yes. They were twelve of them in all. And they came specifically for us. One of them even addressed us as such. Is this what I think it is?”

Lee responded, “Very likely. And well, not to upset you, anymore than normal, but I would guess that these are mexican gang members that were planning on kidnapping you women, and selling you to into sex slave trade. It exists in this nation. And sadly in other parts of the world, including parts of the U.S. Though, it is just not talked about much.”

Lee then lied, “Though, I don't like computers, I suggest you go on the internet and check out the mexican gangs, and kidnappings by gangs. But, I do not think you are going to like what you find.”

Rock stated, “That is a good idea.”

Melvin thought, 'It might be best to do something to calm their nerves.' He offered, “Ladies, if you want, how about I give you all, and your friends outside, each a free bottle of cold beer.”

Revy turned to Melvin. She smirked, as she stated, in a happy tone of voice, “A bit of Action and cold, free beer. I am falling in love with this town.”

While Melvin did not show it on the outside. He thought, with concern 'Oh my. What have I done? Still, there is another matter to deal with.'

Melvin said, “I will get you a beer, in a minute, Revy. But, I have to first call the police. And everyone, it might be best if you stick around until after the police leave. In case they do ask questions.”

Revy replied, “I fully understand.”

Lee thought, 'I am glad I am not in any rush to leave. And though Melvin does not know it. I am ecstatic that both Melvin and I are friends with Pedro. I hope Pedro is intelligent enough to send police officers that don't know what is going on. That way, they will not act, or say something stupid about the Black Lagoon series, or other fictional series, in front of the women, which could get us all into trouble.'

Melvin then went over to the wireless phone behind the bar counter.

Melvin then picked up the phone from its base, and he dialed the number for the De La Plata Podrido police station.

(_)

An hour later, the police came and went. Pedro did not show up. They did not ask any questions. They just collected the gang members bodies, their weapons, and impounded the gang members' bus. With one of the officers driving the bus away.

After finishing their lunch, and the police leaving the hotel, Sam and Lee were finally able to head for the parking lot.

When the walked through the front lobby, they saw that the staff had already cleaned up any mess that had happened in the room. With the room appearing to be clean and undamaged, as usual.

But, as Sam and Lee were about to leave through the lobby exit, Rock and Revy walked up to the two men.

As the two women stopped in front of the two men, the two pairs of adults faced each other.

Rock requested, “Sam, could we speak to Lee alone, for a moment.”

Lee thought, 'This has to be important, for them to want some privacy.'

Sam said, “Sure.” He turned to Lee, as he stated, “I will wait right outside the front entrance.”

Lee turned to Sam, as he said, “I will likely only be a minute, or two.”

As Sam walked away, and into the lobby entryway, heading outside, Lee turned to face Revy and Rock. He stated, “Okay. Even thought I don't know what this is, I can tell this is important to you. So, how can I help you?”

Revy said, “Yes. It is important, Lee. First, I take it that you have lived in North America for your entire life?”

Lee embellished, “Yes. Except for the last several months, I have only lived in the southeastern U.S.. What do you want to know?”

Revy stated, “After this morning, We got to talking with each other. And we need to know about some of the mafias in this town, and nation.”

Rock picked up for her lover, as she said, “We are not from around here.”

Lee maintained a mask of calmness, as he sarcastically thought, 'That is the understatement of the week.'

Rock continued, “And as Revy said, we would like to know some information on so of the local mafias in this country. You are the only person we know that we can ask without drawing suspicion. Will you help us?”

Lee thought, 'If I don't help them, it could cause problems for all of us. So, I might as well.'

Lee responded, in a concerned tone of voice, “Okay, Revy and Rock, I will help you. I do not know much about the local mafias in mexico, but I do know some information. But, I am going to tell you right now. Don't mess with them. They will kill you, without hesitation, if you are lucky. Some of the worse ones, if you cross them, they will rape, torture, and then enslave you into the sex trade.”

“Also, do not expect any help from the cops down here. Barring a few exceptions, the cops down here are scared of the cartels. There is a saying down here that translates to, silver or lead. Meaning, the cops either accept the cartels' bribes, or the cartels will kill the cops. The mexican mafia's are not bluffing on this threat.”

Lee continued, in a more serious tone of voice, “Do we understand each other?”

Rock replied, “Yes.”

Revy said, “I understand.”

Lee stated, “Good. For simplicity sake, we will just talk about one of the most dangerous cartels that operated on the eastern half of this country. And they are one of the most dangerous criminal organizations in North America. They are called the Zetas.”

Revy inquired, “The who?”

Lee mentally realized, 'I should not be surprised they have do not know about them, given Black Lagoon was set in the mid-nineteen nineties, in their timeline. And the Zetas did not hit the scene until a few years later.'

Lee stated, “The Zetas. The U.S. government publicly considers the Zetas to be the most technologically advanced, sophisticated, and dangerous cartel operating in Mexico. And Uncle Sam only has itself to blame for their creation.”

Revy commented, “I bet this story is juicy.”

Lee said, “It is. In dealings between the Mexican and U.S. governments, the Zetas are one of the more embarrassing mistakes by Uncle Sam. Now, let us set the way back machine to the late nineteen nineties. At the time, Uncle Sam came up with the plan for the Mexican government to use mexican soldiers to directly confront and battle the drug mafias of Mexico. The Zetas were their solution. The Zetas were originally mexican special forces. Their training was paid for by Uncle Sam, with U.S. instructors sent down here to personally train the Zetas. So, you can imagine that the Zetas are all hardcore badasses.”

“But, after they were trained, and sent into the field, the members of the Zetas soon realized they could make more money with the drug trade, instead of fighting the black market. After the Zetas went AWOL, they took over a good chuck of the Mexican drug trade.”

“Also, to make matters worse, other dangerous groups have been created from The Zetas members whom have left the organization.”

Lee’s voice turned deadly serious, as he finished, “If you cross them, they will kill you, your family, your friends, and even your pets. They take everything from you, and burn down what they cannot take from you. When they are finished with you, you will not even be a memory. The cops will not find your corpses. At best, they will find pieces of you that are no even enough to identify you with. That is if you are lucky. Do. Not. Mess. With. Them.”

Lee then turned, and walked away from Rock and Revy, as he headed towards the lobby entryway.

As Lee walked away from the women, he overheard Rock stated, “It sounds like the Zetas are this reality's equivalent to Hotel Moscow.”

Revy said, “That is possible. We have what we wanted to know. I will warn the girls to steer clear of them.”

Rock agreed, “Good idea.”

By then, Lee had entered the entryway, by opening the left side door.

Lee let the door close on its own, as he continued walking towards the outside lobby exit to the hotel.

While Lee did so, he realized in thought, 'Hmm. Now, that I think about it, I guess Rock is right about the Zetas being this reality's version of Hotel Moscow. I guess that maybe this reality is but a work of fiction for another reality...'

'It would make sense on so many levels. And I am not just talking about my personal life with these girls. I am talking about the overall world politics, the names of the major players, and the general dark comedy mood of this reality...'

'If so, that is all the more reason to escape this reality before the girls catch me, or my cancer kills me.'

A second later, Lee reached the outside door. He opened the right door, and walk through it.

Lee then let the right door close behind him, as he saw Sam, met up with he met up with his bearded friend.

Within a minute later, Lee was driving Sam, in his pink convertible, to the Rats Nest.

(_)

Later that afternoon, at five thirty PM, three young women, appearing to be in their mid-twenties, in age, walked into the front lobby of the Devil's Hotel, from the outside doors, though the entryway, into the lobby itself.

Two of the women were in front, while the third carried their language, which was two suitcases, and a handbag, with the strap of handbag hung on the woman's right shoulder.

As they made their way into the lobby, they looked around, and all three smiled as they saw whom, that they were looking for.

Just then, the lobby started playing the song, People are People, by the band, Depeche Mode.

(_)

Meanwhile, on the left side of the lobby, Rock and Revy, were sitting on a couch, facing the windows, while their five daughters were also sitting on the three other encircled couches.

The other members of their group has plans for the days, and they were elsewhere.

Revy noticed the music has suddenly changed, and she looked to her left, and whom she saw made her grin from ear to ear. She stated, “Hey girls. Guess who just showed up?

Rock and the sisters turned to see who they were, and they all happily smiled, as well.

All seven women got up from the couches, and they walked towards the three people.

They saw the three women had stopped, while they were looking back at them, with smiles on their faces.

As they walked towards the three women, Kristina yelled, in excitement, “Mom! Aunts!”

The three women were Dutch, Janet, and Benny.

The tallest of the group was the dark skinned, brown haired, Dutch. Whom was a slender, yet muscular woman of average height.

Dutch was wearing pretty much the same outfit she wore when a man, excluding her sun glass. Her clothing included her green pants, shirt, flack jacket, and black boots, all made to fit her. With her hair in short brown dreadlocks.

The second to tallest women was tan skinned, blond, Janet, whom had was slender, but athletic physical build. She also had the largest breasts of the group.

Janet wore a red short sleeved blouse, a yellow long skirt, and black slippers. Her blond hair was cut short.

The shortest of the group was fair skinned, blond, Benny. Whom had a slender, but athletic physical build. Though, she was physical smaller than Janet.

Benny wore a white t-shirt, blue jeans, and white tennis shoes. Her blond hair was reached down to her shoulder-blades, and she tied her hair in a pony tail, with a scrunchy.

With Benny was being the person among them, carrying their luggage.

As the seven women approach, Dutch, Janet, and Benny, Dutch said, “Hi Kristina. Hi girls.”

Revy said, “Hi guys.”

As the seven women came to a stop, in front of the three newcomers to the hotel, the ten women stood around each other.

Molly was the first to speak, as she asked, “Why didn't you tell us you were coming?”

Janet said, “Daughter, if we did, then it would not have been a surprise.”

Molly complimented, “It is a good surprise, mom.”

Janet replied, “Thank you, sweetie.”

As the other women chatted, Rock looked over at Benny, and stopped herself from laughing.

Given Benny's smaller, more slender form, which was almost as short and petite as Lotton and Sawyer, it was hilarious how Benny was barely able to carry both suitcases, and the handbag.

Rock inquired, “Do you need a hand?”

Benny just rolled her eyes for a couple of seconds, before looking back at Rock. She answered, “Sure. These things are not heavy, just cumbersome.”

Benny then handed the suitcase, in her right hand, by the handled, to Rock.

Rock took the suitcase in her left hand.

Benny then stated, with mild annoyance in her voice, “You would think me being the smallest one, would let me out of carrying the luggage. But, no dice.”

Rock commented, “Yea. Some things never change.”

Benny mentioned, “At least, those two don't make me carry all the shopping bags, when we go shopping.”

Rock inquired, “True. So, how was the vacation in the Bahamas?”

Benny answered, “It was fun... Well, when we are not searching the internet for the writer.”

Rock inquired, “Any leads?”

Benny stated, “None.”

By then, the others had begun to overhear their conversation, and they realized the importance of the discussion. The other eight women turned their attention towards Benny and Rock.

Janet had been paying attention to the entire conversation. She stated, “We first tried the simple approach. The same as you. Use the writer's alias to track him with our reality devices. That did not work.”

Rock responded, “Yes. That interesting. We just ended up being sent to where the proxy internet servers he used for his VPN service It seems his alias is more tied to those servers, than his actual address.”

Benny stated, “And the man used proxy servers from all over the world.”

Dutch shrugged, “At least, we went to some interesting places during that wild goose chase.”

Janet agreed, “True. And then, when we decided take a more subtle approach, and we tried to trace the writer through the internet, we ran into some other problems...”

Benny continued for her wife, as she stated, “Rock, this reality has some insane levels of firewalls, anti-viruses, proxy servers, and spyware. I have never seen anything like it. Layer after layer of all four. We spend most of the time being careful not to let out efforts be traced back to us. Finally we got bored with it. And that is why we came over here. To get back into the action.”

Rock agreed, “Yea. This reality can be... paranoid... But, this town down not appear to be that dangerous.”

Benny questioned, “Really. Revy mentioned, in a message to us, that this place was full of badasses.”

Rock conceded, “True. But, this is the kind of place badasses go to live a quiet life.”

Benny snorted, as she inquired, “Isn't that a change. So, how has things been here? Revy sent a message to Janet that you actually had contact with the writer.”

Rock blushed slightly, as she coyly answered, “I would not call it contact. But, we know he is on this island. He may even be staying in this hotel.”

Rock thought, with concern, and mild embarrassment, 'I need to change the subject, before the children learn about my indiscretion. As embarrassing as it would be for Benny, Dutch, and Janet, to learn what happen. I might never live it down if our daughters learned what happen.'

Rock suggested, “Let us get you guys checked in. We will see if they have a room available near Revy and I.

Benny agreed, “That sounds like a great idea.”

Rock commented, “By the way, this hotel takes gold as payment. They even have an exchange system for gold and currencies.”

Benny smiled, as she responded, “Cool. And after that, we can talk about what has been going on, in our new room.”

Rock replied, “Okay. We will do that in a little while.”

The two women then headed for the check in desk, as the other women went back to talking to each other.

(_)

A few minutes later, as the Lagoon family reunited, outside Lee and Sam had just gotten back from the Rats Nest, with Lee parking his car in the Devil's Hotel parking lot.

As the two men approached the lobby, from the windows, Lee could see that Rock, Revy, Molly, Sarah, Kristina, Rebecca, and Yukio were talking to three other youthful women.

And from the physical builds, clothing, hair color, hair styles, and a skin tones, of the three new women, Lee could guess whom they were.

Lee stopped in his tracks. Though, he did his best to hide his fear from showing on his face, thus alerting Sam that something was wrong, as he thought, with worry, 'Oh crap. Dutch, Benny, and Janet are here... I am not dare going to come near those three, without a solid plan of action. Those three are some of the sharpest, most savvy, and intelligent people, I know of, in the multiverse. My usual tricks will not work on them. I need to get back to my suite, and think of a plan. I can just go around the building, can come in the hotel, from the back, and use the back elevator bay.'

'Also, I feel bad for Melvin. I just hope he can continue to play it cool. And I will have to tell Pedro what is going on, tomorrow night. I am not going to be able to make our meeting, given I am not going to risk accidentally bumping into those three.'

'I will call Pedro tomorrow, to tell him that something came up. And that I will meet with him, tomorrow evening, on schedule. We already planned for this situation. If one of us is delayed for twenty minutes. The one at the diner just leaves, and waits until tomorrow, to get some answers as to why the other person did not show up.'

Meanwhile, Sam had noticed that Lee stopped. He stopped a second after Lee stop. He then turned and look at Lee, as he wondered what was wrong.

A few seconds later, Sam asked, “What is it?”

Lee turned to Sam, as he thought, 'I also need to keep Sam out of the line of fire. At least for tonight. Until, I can come up with a plan in the morning. And I just know how to convince him to avoid the trouble in front of us.'

Lee forced himself to calm down, as he suggested, in a relaxed tone of voice, “Sam, let's go around back, take the back elevators to my suite, and spend the rest of the evening playing poker and watching TV in my room. We will even dine in. My treat.”

Sam firmly inquired, “Lee, what are you not telling me?”

Lee thought, 'Damn. Sam just had to ask me a question like that. Though, I can handle this.'

Lee turned to look at the hotel windows of the front lobby, as he calmly asked, “See Revy, Rock, and their... friends, with those three new women?”

Sam looked over at them, on the other side of the lobby windows, as he answered, “Yes.”

Lee stated, “They clearly know each other. And given Revy and those girls temperaments, do you really want to interrupt their happy reunion?”

Sam realized where Lee was coming from, as Sam calmly responded, “No. Not at all. I see your point. I believe I will take you up on your offer.”

Lee said, “Good. Now, let's go this way.”

Lee then lead the way Sam around the left side of the building, to one of the back entrances to the Devil's Hotel.

It took the two men a few minutes to walk to the left of the building, around back, to the door near the game room, and to back elevator bay.

Around four minutes later, that, they made it to the safety of Lee's hotel suite, on the third floor.

(_)

An hour later, as the sisters went to dinner in the hotel restaurant, the Lagoon parents retired to Dutch, Benny, and Janet's new hotel suite, to talk to each other in private, and catch up with one another.

The suite was a two bed suite, with a balcony, wa a few rooms down from Rock and Revy's suite.

With the hallway door close, and ceiling light of the bedroom of the suite turned on, Dutch and Revy sat in chairs, by the table, near curtains, and sliding glass door of the suite.

Rock sat on the bed near the table, close to the headboard, while she faced the other bed.

Janet and Benny sat together on the other bed, while they faced the other three women.

The headboards of the beds were places to the left side of the room, from the hallway entrance. Across from the beds were the chest of drawers, TV remote on top of the chest, wall mounted flat widescreen TV, and other furnishings.

Currently, the five women were just catching up with each other, as they talking about what they had seen in the current reality they were in.

Benny said, with mild surprise in her voice, “So, the police came to the hotel, collected the bodies and weapons, they left without asking you questions, and swept the whole under the rug?”

Revy smiled, as she stated, “Yes. This town is great. The police even look the other way about us having our weapons, without up bribing them. As long as we don't attack the locals, nor tourists. And there are things to do here. Besides the karaoke nights here, we have to take you to a local dive in town, that we found. The bar is called the Rats Nest. Think of it as being like the Yellowflag, only a hot babe runs it, and there is no whorehouse above the bar.”

Benny commented, “Sounds interesting.”

Dutch inquired, “Yes. It does. Now, how has your end of the investigation, on finding the writer, turned out, so far?”

Rock said, “We have had some suspects on who is the writer. But, they came up to being dead ends.”

Revy stated, “To be honest, I thought it might be Melvin. But, when we talked about it, yesterday, in private, with the other girls, Akira, Ranma, and Natsuru, swore up and down to us that it was not Melvin. Though, they refused to say why they don't think it is him.”

“Still, I trust them, so, I did not push the matter with them. Also, neither Sam, nor Lee. These two guys, whom stay at the hotel, that play poker all the time with each other. Are not the writer.”

Dutch inquired, “What about this Sam and Lee?”

Revy stated, “Sam stated that Lee has been with him for months.”

Janet pointed out, “But, we have only Sam's word on that.”

Revy shrugged, as she conceded, “You may have a point about that?”

Benny suggested, “What if there are two writers, with Sam and Lee being the writers?”

Rock stated, “I doubt it. Sam has disappeared a few times, and from the way Lee acted during those times, Lee clearly did not know where Sam went. And Lee is nothing but polite to us, while this writer has pulled a few stunts on us.”

Janet asked, “Like what?”

Revy let out a small chuckle. She then said, “We will tell you, later.”

Rock thought, 'This is a conversation for another time.' She commented, “Moving on. We still might want to do a background check on their names. I only have Sam's first name. But, I do have an idea of Lee's full name. Lee introduced himself to us as, J.D. Lee.”

Benny stated, “The names, Sam and Lee, are too broad to do a search. Even with Lee's initials.”

Rock said, “I can understand why you would have trouble with just looking into a man whom we only know as, Sam. But, we have an idea of Lee's full name. So, what is the problem?”

Benny commented, “That is if that name if Lee is his real name. Which I highly doubt. But, that is not all. There is something else you need to know, about the name, Lee.”

Rock asked, “And that would be?” She thought, 'I have a bad feeling about the answer to my question.'

Benny responded, “Rock, I am from Florida. Which is part of the southeastern United States. And I am sure it is the same here, as back in our home reality. So, I mean it, when I say you have no idea how many Lees there are in the southeast United States. It is a common name there for both caucasians, and asians.”

“Also, Lee, in the southeast U.S. is used as a given name, a middle name, and a family name. The name is used by both men and women. There are less Smiths there, than Lees. If that is his alias, he picked a good one.”

“Backtracking him will be next to impossible. Also, the name Lee has a hidden meaning in english. Lee, in old english, means, sheltered from the storm.”

Rock thought, 'Okay. That is some alias to use. With a poetic meaning, as well. But, that does not mean that Lee is the writer. And I don't want to accidentally condemn and innocent man, just by accusation.'

Rock replied, with interest in her voice, “Really. That is an interesting hidden meaning.”

Benny added, “Yes. And if this Lee is the one we are looking for, I want a word with him about messing with our lives.”

Dutch agreed, “So do I.” She chuckled a little, as she continued, “I guess for the writer, the line would form to the left.”

Janet pointed out, “I think you all are missing the bigger picture. Why, is just as important as, who. Why did our target want to bait us to come here? Why does he, or she, want to be near us? Logically, he, or she, would know better, and probably try to hide as far away as possible from us. Instead, this person baited us. There is something else going on here. An unknown factor that is not being accounted for, that we have no way of finding out about, right now.”

Revy complimented, “That is a good point, Janet.”

Benny suggested, “How about Janet, Dutch, and I, meet this guy?”

Dutch seconded Benny's idea, as she commented, “Great idea. The question is when, and where. I suggest we do so, when he is alone. I am sure that if that Sam fellow, whomever he is, is present, when we are, he will run interference for Lee. Like he may have already done, by giving Lee that alibi. So, we need to get Lee alone.”

Benny agreed, “I like that plan.”

Janet said, “Also, let us not just meet him. Let us do so while nicely dressed in some of our sexier clothing. If he is the writer, that will throw him off his game.”

Benny smirked, as she commented, “Even if he isn't the writer, seeing three sexy women, in sexy clothing, speaking to him, will thrown him off his game.”

Rock stated, “Well, if you want to confront Lee, I know where he will likely go for lunch. And from what I am told, Sam does not care for this place. As such, Lee will likely be alone.”

Rock then explained where and when would likely be best to confront Lee, when Lee was alone.

The Lagoon parents then formed their plans for the next day.

(_)

The next day, it was noon, on a sunny day, as Lee finished his lunch, as he sat in a chair, under a shaded, outdoor table by the burger van. The table had four chairs, with being the only one sitting in a chair, at the table.

Also, there was no one at the tables around Lee.

Lee was in a good mood that day. He had Sam met Sam for breakfast that morning, at the hotel restaurant, at the bar counter. And it was Lee's request they sat there.

Still, Lee was a little concerned that he did not see Revy, Rock, Benny, Janet, nor Dutch, in the hotel restaurant. The rest of Rock and Revy's family and friends were there. But, not them. Though, Lee was not going to complain about the matter.

After they finished breakfast, while they were still at the bar counter, Lee excused himself. Lee then headed to his suite. When he reached his suite, he dialed the number for the Plata Podrido police department.

Lee spoke only english during his conversation on the phone. And soon got in touch with Pedro. With the two of them both speaking english to each other.

While, Lee did not go into detail, because he was concerned that the phone lines might be table by someone after him. And Pedro and Lee had talked about this very possibility, a few times, at the Last Resort Diner. With them agreeing to keep their conversation vague, while talking over the phone.

Lee did not mention any names, places, times, nor appointments. Even the places they met at. Though, Lee did state he had good reasons for not talking to him, yesterday. But, he would talk to Pedro, later.

Pedro said that he was okay with the situation. He understood. And he looked forward to his explanation later. Meaning, when they met at the Last Resort Diner, at seven PM that evening. As usual.

Both men said their goodbyes, and Lee hung up the phone.

Lee then headed back downstairs, and rejoined Sam in the hotel restaurant. They then left for their usual chairs, across from each other, at a small table, on the right side of the front hotel lobby. They then played poker there, until it was time for the Rats Nest bar to open.

When it was time for the Rats Nest bar to open, Lee drove Sam and himself to the Rats Nest, in his pink car. When they reached the bar, they sat in their usual places, at the back left corner table, as they played poker for a little while. During this time, Sam had a beer, while Lee had a bottle of lemonade.

When it was lunch time, Sam felt like having some Italian food, while Lee felt a craving for a hamburger.

So, Lee drove same to a good, nearby Italian restaurant, where he dropped off Sam. Lee then drove to a parking lot near Eda and Yolanda's burger van. After Lee parked his car, he went to the food truck to have some lunch.

Presently, as Lee sat in his chair, at the table he had been at, he had just eaten his hamburger and french fries, while sipping through a straw, from his large styrofoam cup of soda.

Lee thought, 'These fountain drinks that Eda and Yolanda have are as good as the bottle stuff, and the two women offer free refills.'

Lee heard a woman's voice, a few feet behind him, calmly ask, “Hello. Are you, Lee?”

To Lee's credit, when he turned around to face the three, young women, he did not do a double-take. Instead, he maintained his calm poker face, as he looked at the three women.

Though, Lee instantly recognize the three women.

Janet was wearing a bikini top and skirt.

Dutch was wearing a bikini top and some black pants.

Benny was in a crop top shirt, and some shorts.

Lee maintained his calm facade, as inside his mind, Lee was screamed, 'Oh crap! It is those three! Dutch, Janet, and Benny! And the only reason they would pull a stunt like this, in those outfits, is they already suspect me as the writer.'

'I have been dreading meeting since these three since last night. Except for Rock and Violin, these three are part of top five sharpest people I know among their group. So, how did they know I was here?... Of course, Rock and Revy. Revy and Eda talk to each other, and it is no secret that I sometimes come here for lunch around noon.'

'Still, at least they let me finish my lunch, first. That was nice of them.'

'And Janet really does have a nice set of breasts. And so does Dutch, as a chick. Benny, not so much. But, that is Tex-Mex's fault...'

Lee was able to keep his emotional mask up, as he mentally caught himself, 'Oh lord, I have to stop thinking this way! The worst part about those three is that I know they are my type. Like V.T., they are intelligent, independent, nice women, that are easy on the eyes, and most importantly, they are sane.'

'If they figure this out, I will be eating out of their hands, and my cover will be blown, within minutes.'

'I have to remain strong, and not show any outward emotion, except indifference.'

Lee calmly said, to the three women, “Yes, I am Lee. How may I help you ladies?”

Janet smiled, as she continued her inquiry, “We were wondering if we could talk to you?”

Lee shrugged, as he replied, “Sure. Have a seat.”

The three women quickly seated themselves at the three other seats at Lee's table.

Dutch sat in across from Lee. Benny sat to Lee's left side. And Janet sat to Lee's right side.

Lee asked, “So, how do you know about me?”

Dutch answered, for the group, “Revy and Rock told us about you.” She thought, 'There is no point in denying that we know Revy and Rock. We did talk for a while in the hotel lobby last evening. He might have seen us there. Even though, I did not see him there.'

Lee rolled his eyes for a moment. He then looked back as them, as he responded, “A person can meet the most interesting of people in this town. So, you know my name. What are your names?”

Benny thought, 'If this guy is the writer, he playing the dumb act to the hilt. By asking us to introduce ourselves, there is no risk of later slipping up on how he would know our names. Still, we have to give him our names, to keep this conversation rolling.'

Benny answered, “Well, I am Benny. And these are my two girlfriends. The blond is Janet. And the sassy black woman is Dutch.”

Benny thought, 'Saying that Janet is really my wife would cause too many questions. And Janet and I have discussed. With us agreeing that saying in public, that she is my girlfriend would best. And Dutch really is our girlfriend.'

Benny continued her thoughts, with amusement, 'Akira, Natsuru, and Ranma, are not the only ones that enjoy being a threesome.'

Lee held back laugh, as he thought, 'Well that answers that group dynamic. I only teased at that in my stories, from comments. Though, to see it first hand. And to have it directly confirmed is a little awkward for me. Also, Benny called Dutch a sassy black woman. Honestly, I can see that.'

Lee commented, “Benny... Such an odd name for such a cute woman?”

Benny flatly replied, “It's a long story.”

Lee shook his head once, as he requested, “I do not want to know.”

Janet mentally wondered, 'The question is did you know the answer, beforehand? If you are the writer, you would know that you would not want to know, because the masquerade would be over.'

'If you were not the writer, you would not want to know, because you know asking questions from friends of Revy is dangerous. With you considering us to be as dangerous as her. And I cannot tell which is the case. Still, let us dig a little deeper.'

Janet requested, “So, tell us about yourself, Lee. How long have you been here? Where are you from?”

Lee thought, 'When three beautiful, sexy women, ask a man to talk about himself, that man has to answer their questions. If I don't, it will alert them to something being off about me. Now, let us see how good my cover story is. I only hinted at it before with Rock and Revy. I think I will start off with an honest statement. I will drop a hint about the time loop, that they will even realize. But, it will also help with my cover story.'

With a slight smile on his lips, Lee honestly answered, “It feels like I have been here for several years. And I have enjoyed much of the time I have spent here.”

Lee then preceded to lie his ass off, in a very casual, laid back manner.

Lee began his lie with, “Anyway, I am from, and grew up in Nashville, Tennessee.”

Dutch thought, 'Now, to trip him up.' She asked, “What high school did you attend?”

Lee thought, 'Nice try. But, I have a counter for that question.'

Lee answered, “None. I was home schooled. After that, I passed the test for a GED, I went to college, took a placement test, and I went on to study a trade skill. Carpentry, to be exact.”

Dutch thought, 'Nice way of dodging the question.'

Meanwhile, Janet thought, 'Let's see how much you know about that city.' She inquired, “Why don't you tell us about Nashville? I may want to visit there.”

Lee genuinely thought, 'This is going to be fun.' He responded, “Sure. It is an interesting place. But, it has gone down hill for the last few decades. It started going down hill when they torn down the local theme part, Opryland, and build a gaudy mall in its place. Of all the rides there, I miss the Old Mill Scream the most. It is like that line in song Big Yellow Taxi. They paved over paradise, and put up a parking lot. And in this case, they literally did that.”

“Of course, the flood did not help matters. But, there are still some nice places to visit there. Such as the Parthenon. A full scale replica of the Parthenon in Greece. It is a wonder to see. Then, there is the Grand Ole Opry music stage. Along with dozens of nice bars and restaurants, featuring a wide variety of live musical performances. Outside of the city is Rock City, Ruby Falls, Dollywood, and of course, the more romantic part of Tennessee. The majestic smokey mountains, themselves.”

Benny though, 'If this is a cover story. It is a good one. I know most of those places. And he has at least clearly spent some time in Nashville, and other parts of Tennessee. But, I won't want him to know how impressed I am with his answers.'

Benny halfheartedly commented, “Sounds like fun.”

Lee then turned the conversation back on them, as he casually requested, “So, please tell me about yourselves?”

Benny thought, 'Touche. But, I got this covered.' She answered, “While my two girlfriends prefer their privacy, I will answer your question. I am originally from Florida. I went to college at SCAA for a while, before I transferred back to a college in Florida.”

Benny thought, 'Given how young I look, I can leave my past at that. With me pretending to be a college student. Which I once was, so I know how to fake it.'

'And this makes for good bait. Only the writer would likely know I am older than I look. Along, with him knowing about the hacking incident with the mafia and FBI in Florida, and why I originally went on the run, in the first place.'

Lee thought, 'Unfortunately for you, Benny, I am not taking this obvious bait. Instead, I intend to go in a different direction with this conversation.'

Lee inquired, “So, you have been Savannah, Georgia. I heard good things about Savannah College of Art and Design. Though, I hear there are a lot of strange people in Savannah. But overall, I am told by others that it is a nice town.”

Janet silently realized, 'We are losing control of the conversation. I need to get us back on track.'

Janet commented, “So, the important question. Our friends mentioned that you are on the run. How did you end up here?”

Lee lied, in a sober tone of voice, “It is a sad tale of foolishness on my part. I didn't read the fine print of some contracts I signed. You know. I used to think fleeing to Mexico was cliché, but now I understand why it is not. Being a carpenter, I got into the house market, where I fell into some unsavory fellows. At the time, I thought I was signing into an LLC corporate partnership. Instead, it was a Sub-chapter S corporate partnership.

Dutch asked, “What is the difference between the two?”

Lee answered, “The different between the two are when profits are divided, and how taxes are paid. In an LLC, the profits are divided between the partners, and the partners directly pay the taxes. In a Sub-chapter S, the taxes are paid by the corporation, and then the profits are divided up. I am sure you are starting to see the big different between the two.”

From look of comprehension in their eyes, Lee could see he was correct. He continued, “Anyway, the company I joined turned out to just be a money laundering shell company. One night the other partners vanished, taking all the money in the company with them. Money that taxes were owed on. And they left me holding the bag. Filing for bankruptcy was not an option for me. And with me being the only partner the government could find, and the fact I did not have the money to pay for those taxes, the government started the process to charging me with tax evasion. When my lawyer told me I was screwed, I immediately ran for the border, and I eventually found myself here.”

Benny asked, “So, are you going to try to pay the money back?”

Lee stated, “Even though I am the victim, and should I was able to pay what is owed, the government still demands that I spend at least ten years in prison. So, no. As far as I am concerned, when it comes to me, they can try to squeeze water from a rock. I am just going to stay on the run until a better option comes along...”

Lee thought, 'Now, to pull an unexpected comment, that will allow me to gain control of the situation.'

Lee said, “Still... About this town, I will level with you ladies. It does not take a genius to figure out we in the twilight zone.”

Benny thought, 'That is an understate. But, where are you going with this, Lee?'

Lee continued, “And I know, that I am the poor fool on the run that gets it in the end, in most twilight zone episodes, during the plot twist. I am trying very hard to avoid that twist at the end.”

Dutch smiled, as she said, “Boy, you don't have a clue.”

Lee thought, 'Actually I do.' He begged, as he faked desperation, “Don't tell me. I don't want to know.”

Benny thought, 'That is a wonderful excuse for wanting to remain ignorant. Admit to the strangeness, but beg not to be a part of it. He is either putting up a wonderful act as the writer, or he is just some poor guy who fell into this situation, and he is trying to figure a way out, without the strangeness consuming him.'

Lee picked up his cup, and he took a sip of his sweet tea. Lee noticed that it was nearly empty. A thought occurred to him, as he mentally reflected, 'I may just have found a way to buy some time.'

Lee said, “Excuse me. I will be right back. I just need to get a refill.”

Lee stood up. After which, he balled up his trash. He picked up the trash in his left hand, and his drink in his right hand. He then started walking towards the food truck, as he dumped the trash in a trash can he passed.

Lee's intend was to a free refill of his drink from the burger van, while he bought time. That would allow him to think and implement a plan that get him out of his current mess.

(_)

As Lee walked away, Dutch asked, “Benny, you are the expert on the southeastern U.S. culture. Does he check out?”

Benny answered, “So far he does. Everything he has said seems to be on the level. Either that, or he is a very good liar.”

Janet commented, “His story is so mundane that it is believable.”

(_)

While Lee walked to the window counter, under the awning of the food truck, where Eda was, he saw that there was no out else at the window.

Lee walked, as he thought, 'I have got to get them off their A game, or they are soon going to find out about me. I need a plan... That might work... And all I need to do is smile.'

When Lee approached Eda, at the window, he smiled, as he looked at her.

When Eda turned her attention to him, Lee requested, “I need a refill.”

Eda took the drink and refilled it. As she handed it back to him, she noticed Lee's smile. She asked, “What are you smiling about?”

As Lee continued smiling, Lee shrugged. He said, in a relax, slightly flighty, tone of voice, “Well, I have three young, sexy women showing an interest in me by them deciding to sit with me at my table.”

Eda leaned out the window. She turned to head to her right, and whom she saw, over at the table that Lee usual saw at, cause her jaw dropped.

Lee continued to smile, as he forced himself not to laugh at Eda's reaction.

Eda leaned up, as she collected herself. She then turned her head towards the back of the vehicle, as she stated, “Yolanda, I will be a minute. I am going to say hi to Dutch, Benny, and Janet.”

From inside the vehicle, Lee could hear Yolanda calmly reply, in english, “Give them my best.”

Lee thought, 'Now, to get back to the table, before Eda reaches.'

Lee quickly turned, and returned to his seat at the table, where Benny, Dutch, and Janet, were sitting.

Less than five seconds after Lee sat down in his chair, at the table, Lee saw Eda, in her waitress uniform, walk up to the group of adults he was with.

As the three women noticed, and turned to look at her, Benny asked, “Eda, what are you doing here?”

Lee also turned to look at Eda, with a special type of smile on his face.

Eda came to a stop, to Lee's right side, and Janet's left side, as she looked down at the group, sitting before her. She retorted, “I could ask you three the same question.”

Meanwhile, Dutch noticed the way Lee was looking at Eda. With a slight lecherous smile on his face.

Dutch realized what Lee's smile could mean. She turned to Eda, as she questioned, with concern in her tone of voice, “Eda, did you sleep with this man?”

Eda just blushed, and Lee's smile became slightly widened. These two reactions answered Dutch question, with a confirmed, yes.

Lee thought, 'Now, to make my exit, while they are shocked at that revelation.'

Lee continued to smile, as he turned to look at the women sitting at the table with him. He said, “Well ladies, it has been fun. But, I have places to be. Nice meeting you, and have a great day.”

Lee then got up from the table, grabbed his drink, and walked away. He headed towards where he parked his pink car beside the room. So, he could head to an Italian restaurant that he dropped Sam off at, for his lunch, and then the two of them to go back to the Rats Nest, to play some more poker, together.

While the four women watched Lee walk away from them, Benny said, “No one who has seen our series would knowingly sleep with Eda. Unless he is crazy. And Lee does not look crazy to me.” She turned to Eda, as she continued, “No offense, Eda.”

Eda continued to look to Lee, as she casually replied, “None taken. I can be real dangerous. But, I am going to tell you. Lee is not our target. When we went out on a date one evening, and we later had sex that night. It was okay. Also, when we did it, I sensed no fear from him. Unless he has no fear of death, he is not the writer.”

Janet commented, “Still, if Lee is the writer, he might be trying to throw us off his scent.”

Dutch weighed both her lovers' positions. She said, “Either way is possible. But, we need more information about Lee, before we move forward.”

Eda then turned to look at the three women, as she thought, 'Now, to earn some pointed with these three.' She offered, “So, are you guys hungry? My treat.”

Benny and Janet said, in unison, “Sure.”

Dutch shrugged, as she stated, “I could use a burger.”

Eda then took their orders, and she went to get her friends something to eat, from her food truck.

(_)

Later, that evening, after Sam and Lee spent the afternoon at the Rats Nest, they returned to the Devil's Hotel restaurant.

Given how suspicious Janet, Dutch, and Benny, had been to him at lunch. Lee decided it was better for him and Sam, to eat at their usual place at the bar counter, instead of the right front corner table.

Lee did this because, given how sharp the three new women in his life were, if Lee sat their, on the first night, they would further suspect him as the writer. Because, he could sit with his back to the corner, and he would have a good view of the entire room. Which was exactly when Lee preferred to see at that table.

But, Lee realized, if he sat at the bar counter, with him facing the left wall of the room, and his back being to the women after him, including Dutch, Benny, and Janet, it would further allay suspicions towards him, as being the writer.

Convincing Sam to change where they were going to sit was not difficult.

So, the two men, had dinner, as they sat at the bar counter, at their usual places.

Also, Melvin was behind the bar counter, and he was more than happy to take the meal orders from his two friends. And there was no one else around the three men, at the bar counter.

Though, during Lee and Sam's meals, and after they finished eating, Lee had a feeling that he was being watched.

Actually, Lee was sure he was being watched.

And Lee could guess whom was watching him.

A few minutes after Lee finished his meal, Lee took a drink from his glass of iced lemonade.

Lee then sat down the glass, onto the bar counter, as he thought, 'As I developed my precognitive abilities. Especially, during the time loop. I have gained the ability to not only tell when I am being watch, but in what direction.'

'And the direction is behind me, and to my right side. That is the direction from where Revy's crew is sitting. And I can guess whom among them are occasionally looking at me.'

The women being, Dutch, Janet, Benny, and probably a few others. They are occasionally looking at me, as they talk about me. If I turn my head towards them, that will only draw more interest from them, towards myself. And I don't want that.'

'It looks like my little act at lunch didn't even buy me a full day, without their attention. But, it at least bought me a little time. And in this game, one can still win by inches.'

(_)

Meanwhile, at the tables by the stage, in the back of the room, Rock and Revy's group had to take up four tables, instead of their usual three, to make room for their additional company.

After everyone in their group had said, hello, to Dutch, Benny, and Janet. And visa versa. The three women sat with Revy and Rock.

Meanwhile, Yukio, Rebecca, Kristina, Sarah, and Molly sat at a table.

Also, Lotton, Shenhua, Sawyer, Aeryn, and Violin sat at a table.

And at the fourth table, Akira, Ranma, Natsuru, Yurika, Nodoka, and Mikoto sat together.

At Lagoon parents table, the five women were alternating between looking over at each other, and looking Lee, whom sitting at the bar counter, with his back turned, while he and Sam were finishing their dinner.

And their conversation, as they ate their own dinner, and drank their beers, was about, Lee.

Rock looked over at the other women at the table, as she inquired, “So, at lunch, Lee said he was here over tax evasion charges, due to being conned?”

Janet turned to Rock, as she answered, “Yes.”

Rock said, “I can actually see that.”

Revy shrugged, as she looked at Rock. She commented, “Well, not everyone on the run has a flashy back story. Most times it is simple, mundane reasons, for how they found themselves on the run. And I could see Lee being in that sort of trouble. It would explain why he likes to keep to himself, except for being with Sam.”

Rock said, “Yes. He is living off the grid.”

Benny turned to Rock, as she pointed out, “But, it does make for a likely cover story.”

Revy agreed, “True. Still, that means nothing.”

Janet inquired, “Are there any notable abilities that Lee has, that you have not yet told us.”

Revy stated, “He is a pre-cog.”

Dutch looked over at Revy, as she asked, “So, Lee is precognitive? Interesting. How good is he?”

Revy turned to Dutch, as she stated, “When we first got here, I personally watched him win at poker without looking at his cards.”

Dutch commented, “Now, that is a trick.”

Janet looked at Revy, as she questioned, “Do you think Lee could be using his pre-cog abilities to keep suspicion off of himself?”

Revy answered, “No. I don't think his abilities work that way. His abilities don't give him that much detail on the situation. He said his precognition worked on pure instinct. And I believe him. We have surprised him a number of times.”

Rock agreed, “Revy is right. I do not think he relies on that ability too much. I even talked to the Rats Nest bartender, she stated that Lee told her he does not even rely much on his precognition, when playing poker. He only does that trick when he and Sam are playing alone.”

Revy said, “Still, that is a nice trick to have. And I can think of a few ways we could profit from that trick. Along with his poker face.”

Janet asked, “He has a poker face?”

Revy stated, “Yes. It is a very good one. When he did that card trick, the girls had their weapons draw on him at point blank range. And this was after they massacred most of those in room, whom attacked us. Still, he didn't show any signs of stress.”

Benny whistled for a second. She then commented, “Now, that is a poker face. Writer, or not, those are nice skills to have.”

Dutch said, “The first rule of hiding is. Don't rock the boat. Don't draw attention to oneself. He clearly knows this. Being polite, and remaining calm, are good ways not to rock the boat. And to not draw attention to oneself.”

Rock mentioned, “Yes. And the only time I think I saw the real Lee, under his mask, was during a chase we were all part of, with him being the driver. Beforehand, we made the mistake of thinking that he was sane.”

The other four women at the table, looked over at Rock.

Dutch asked, “What do you mean, making the mistake he was sane? What happened?”

Rock explained, “One evening, we needed a designated driver. So, Revy, Shenhua, Sawyer, Lotton, and I could get drunk at a bar. None of the other girls would help us. So, when we learned that Lee knew how to drive, we forced him to do so for us. Though, he had one condition. We could not bring our weapons.”

Dutch commented, “That sounds like a sane request to me. The only reason I never made that request for Revy, when we went to the Yellowflag, was most of the time, when there was shoot out, Revy was needed to finish it, before it got so out of hand, that we got injured, or killed.”

Revy turned to Dutch, as she sarcastically replied, “Hardy, har, har.”

Rock went onto say, “Yes. And that was sane request from Lee. But, later that night, there was a fight at the bar, and we had to quickly leave. We ended up in a car chase, with Lee driving. He knows how to drive. And he found an interesting way to end it. He decided to play chicken, with two cars, on a dark street, with the headlights off, while flooring the gas pedal.”

Dutch said, “Okay. That is not so sane.”

Dutch thought, 'And maybe Lee is the writer, and he was crazy enough to sleep with Eda, without any fear of death. To play chicken like that, one has to have no fear of death. But, the question then becomes why he has no fear of death?'

'And if this is the case, that would make him very unpredictable, and dangerous. If we find out he is the writer, we will have to be careful in how we approach him, when we do capture him. Though afterward, we would punish him for what he has done to us.'

Revy grinned, as she pointed out, "Well, he won that game.”

Rock said, “True. But, he had an insane grin while he was being playing chicken. That worried me.”

Revy stated, “Oh, come on. I was proud he could make that grin. Lee is fun when he actually loosens up.”

Benny asked, with concern in her tone of voice, “And whose car was he driving during this chase?”

Revy turned to Benny, as she sheepishly said, “Ours. But afterward, we found a local guy to check the car out. And the car is fine.”

Revy thought, 'If we had damaged our car. That might have really upset Benny. And the one time I have ever seen Benny furious with me, to the point I was actually scared, was back in Roanapur, when I accidentally shot his computer. Dutch had to hold him in place, for five minutes, until he calmed down.'

'Also, I had to pay for his next computer. With the super-soldier serum, and the fact we all trained each other some in our fields. If I ever piss her off, she might be able to put up a fight with me. And I really don't want that.'

Benny stated, “Good. So, Lee might be crazy enough to knowingly sleep with Eda.”

Dutch looked at Benny, as she thought, 'Good. I am glad that Benny has picked up on this.' She then looked at the other faces at the table, as she continued her thoughts, 'And from the looks on Janet and Rock. I believe they also realize that Lee is perhaps crazier than we all previous thought.'

Revy shrugged, as she replied, “Maybe.”

Rock pointed out, “But, that doesn't make him the writer. Actually, a number of us had tested him to see if he was the writer. Lotton said he wasn't the writer. Aeryn and Violin stated he is not the writer. And one time, we got him stoned, and even then he didn't show any evidence of being the writer.”

Benny inquired, “Let me guess pot brownies, and he didn't realize what was in the brownies?”

Revy replied, “Yep.”

Benny commented, “Nice trick.”

Revy commented, “You can thank Molly and the girls for that one.”

Benny said, “I think I will. And this means we won't have to try that trick on him.”

Revy agreed, “True.”

Rock thought, 'After thinking about that incident. I believe that was a mistake to trick Lee into getting stoned. I believe he did not deserve that. Though, I am not going to say a word about it to the others. Also, I need to get this conversation back on track.'

Rock pointed out, “Be that, as it may. So far, we have not had to resort to violence, except for self-defense. And I would like it to stay that way.”

Rock mentally reflected, 'I am going to give Revy and our daughters the benefit of the doubt, on the Rats Nest massacre. That could have been self-defense.'

Dutch said, “Really. With this crew, that is a feat. Still, without resorting to violence, Lee is going to be a touch nut to crack. And if we want to make sure he is the writer, or not, we will have to crack him.

Janet stated, “Well, I have an idea.”

The other four women turned to Janet.

Revy asked, “What is it?”

Janet smirked, as she questioned, “What is the one thing, besides monthly periods, that a man never wants to hear women talk about?”

Revy replied, “What?”

Janet answered, “Women asking a man to compare them to each other, and other women. I say, right now, the five of us should just get up, walk over to him, and ask him who he thinks is the hottest among us.”

Benny looked over at Janet, as she said, “Honey, that is just plain evil... I like it. Let's do it.”

Janet turned to Benny, as she continued smile. She said, “I thought you would like it, sweetie.”

Dutch conceded, “It could work. It could crack him. And it would be a really quick way to do it, without things becoming messy.”

Rock said, “I think I will come along to make sure this doesn't get out of hand.”

Revy commented, “I am going to come, so I can watch.”

The five women then got up from their table, and walked towards Lee, at the bar counter.

(_)

A few seconds later, across the room, at the bar counter, Lee precognition began warning him of immense danger approaching him. He thought, 'My abilities only trigger like this when my life is in immediate danger. And my precognition does not always work to warn me of danger. But, it is doing so, right now.'

Lee heard Revy, say, from right behind him, “Hey Lee. Could we speak to you for a minute?”

Lee and Sam turned around to see the five Lagoon parents standing by them.

Melvin was across the bar counter, as he looked at the five women, as well. He thought, 'I am willing to guess, from their clothing and looks, along with what I read in those screwy stories, seeing the Black Lagoon series, and what I personally learned in the aftermath of the fall of Chang's Tower. That is Dutch, Benny, and of course Janet, with Rock and Revy. I should be fine, as long as I hang back. But, if I walk away, I could draw attention to myself.'

Meanwhile, Lee thought, 'If I remain calm, I should be fine.' He calmly asked, “Yes. What would you like to talk about, Revy?”

Janet jumped into the conversation, as she inquired, “We wanted to know which one of us you find to be the sexiest?”

Sam and Melvin's eyes went wide at Janet's request, while Lee remained calm.

Lee thought, from a logical standpoint, 'No good can come from answering a question like that. That is plain cruel question to ask a man. And it is clearly an attempt to get reaction from me. But, I have a plan for such an occasion.'

Lee said, “I find sexiness to be a factor in personality, as well as physical attributes. And I do not know any of you well enough to make such a determination. Also, this is not a judgment that should be made from just one man.”

Janet thought, with a mix of annoyance and amusement, 'Oh, he is good at this.'

Revy thought, 'That gives me an idea.' She said, “You know? You are right, Lee. We should have a contest on the matter?”

The women saw Lee's poker face slip for just a second.

Janet though, 'He clearly did not expect that comment from Revy.” She turned to Revy, as she continued her thoughts, 'Though, I didn't either. But, I want to know what Revy has in mind.'

By then, the others around Revy, had turned to look at her.

Dutch asked, “Contest with who, Revy?”

Revy looked over at Dutch, as she answered, “We have a contest among our crew. Us, our family, our friends. I will even call Eda, and Yolanda, as well. They are too hot not to get in on this action.”

Lee was barely able to maintain his poker face, as he thought, with concern and worry, 'Oh no. What I have I inspired here? I have got to try to stop this, now!' He quickly said, “That is not what I meant.”

Benny looked over at Lee, as she stated, “It doesn't matter. Once Revy is like this, well... There is a reason she is called, Revy. All we can do is hang on for the ride.”

A thought occurred to Lee, as he mentally reflected, 'On second thought. After thinking about it, for a few seconds. I do think that while Revy's idea will create problems, this might be a good chance to throw them off my scent. And I have one question that will allow me to take control of the situation. I just have to set the question up, just right.'

Lee said, “I have a question... Err. Benny, is it?”

Benny replied, “Yes. What is it?”

Lee asked, “How bad a loser can Revy and the others be?”

Benny thought, 'The writer would not ask that question. Or, would he? Lee is so hard to read. But, it is a fair question.' She answered, “Petty bad. Depending on what she loses.”

Lee said, “Then, I suggest you make the prize be very small.”

Rock overheard Benny and Lee's comments, as she stated, “That is a good point.”

As Melvin watched this madness unfold in front of him, he thought, 'This could go very badly if someone does not reign them in. And Lee has no way to do so. But, I do.'

Melvin said, “I will offer a six pack of a good brand of beer, as the first place prize. If that is okay?”

Revy said, “That works for me. And we will also do this for bragging rights.”

Janet replied, “I agree.”

Dutch commented, “Beer is an excellent choice, with this crowd.”

Benny said, “I am with Dutch on this one.”

Rock shrugged, as she said, “Who am I to argue with such logic?”

Melvin offered, “Also, this bar would be the perfect place to host your contest.”

Melvin thought, 'This is the only place in town, that I know of, for sure, that the walls, ceiling and bar counter, is armored. If things go bad, this room might be able to contain their choas, and decrease the chance of other people getting hurt.'

'Also, a battle in here likely will not destroy the rest of the hotel.'

'And if this place is wrecked, and I survive, I have been meaning to talk to the manager about some minor remodeling of this place. And that is a perfect excuse. While also having these women run out of town, as well. With me back to my peaceful life.'

Revy agreed, “Yea. You're right.”

Lee thought, 'I see Melvin is also helping me. Though, let us check to see if the others would want to do this. We might also be able to contain this contest to a small number of people. That will still allow me to thrown them off my scent, while decreasing the chance of a big battle erupting in the hotel.'

Lee calmly inquired, “Are you even sure your friends would want to have such a contest?”

Janet questioned, “Why do you ask?”

Lee stated, “I like this restaurant. I would like it to remain in one piece.”

Janet just rolled her eyes for a few seconds, while Rock, Dutch, and Benny chuckled.

Lee thought, 'Now, to cover why I believe all of their group is dangerous. I don't know if Rock and Revy told the other three about the Rats Nest massacre, and how Sam and I were there. But, I can use the event from this morning to give the excuse of how I know they are all dangerous.'

Lee commented, “And after yesterday morning, it does not take genius to figure out that you are all very dangerous.”

Janet immediately looked at Lee, as Dutch, Benny, and Rock, stopped laugh.

Dutch asked, in a serious tone of voice, “What are you talking about?”

Rock thought, 'Oh no. We get so caught up with our plans, we forgot to tell them what happen yesterday morning.” Rock turned to Dutch, as she said, “We will tell you the full details, later. But, there was a battle in the front lobby of this hotel. None of us were hurt. But, let's just say, that it is no longer a secret that all of us our badasses.”

Dutch replied, “Okay.”

Dutch thought, 'Though, I did not notice any damage in the front lobby. And Benny, Janet, and I, will find out later. Though, this means we cannot use the fact we are badasses as bait for the writer. Because everyone here already knows that. Still, that is a small matter.'

Dutch turned to Lee, as she continued her thoughts, 'Besides, we are already in the middle of laying a trap, right now.'

Though, before Dutch could comment. Revy stated, “Anyway. Back to the matter of the contest. That is a good question, Lee. We do need to ask them.”

Revy turned towards tables, by the stage, where the rest of her crew was sitting at. She yelled, “Hey girls! How would you like to do a talent contest?!”

Of the next few seconds, the other women at their tables, yelled back, either, “Yes!”, “Yea!”, “Sure!”, “Why not?”, and “Of course.”

As the other women finished answering, Revy turned back to face Lee. She said, “See, they want in on this, as well.”

Lee noticed all this, as he thought, with disappointment, 'It was worth a try. We will just have to arrange for this contest to have some rules to prevent fights from breaking out.'

Meanwhile, Janet thought, 'Now, to bait, Lee.' She said, “How about a bikini contest?”

Lee turned to Janet, as he thought, 'Nice try, Janet.' He casually said, “A bikini contest would be so cliché. Besides, it's not the proper season.”

Janet thought, 'Nice come back.'

Revy teased, “He has got you there, Janet.”

Rock inquired, “Still, what should the rules be for this contest?”

Janet said, 'There is one thing a contest needs. And with it, Lee is not slipping through our fingers.' She said, “There is one thing a contest is going to need, and that a judge. I think Lee here would make a good judge.”

Lee was looking at Janet, as she had made her suggestion.

Lee maintained his poker mask, as he sarcastically stated, “You really do want that answer? Don't you?”

Lee continued to remain calm, as he thought, 'Damn. She roped me into having a front row seat. I cannot say, no, to her suggestion, without risk of blowing my cover in front of everyone. And this will make maintaining my cover, very difficult for me. And I will have to be careful about my judging of each of them. Or, they might take violent offense, later on, with the scores I give them.'

'Also, I need to work out how we will score them exactly. I am not just going to score them evenly between hotness and talent. That would be unfair to some of them. But, I will figure those details, later tonight, and tomorrow.'

'I still have to survive this conversation, before I even have to worry about those minor issues.'

Janet smirked towards Lee, as she replied, “Yep.”

Meanwhile, Sam and Melvin were just laughing at Lee's predicament.

Melvin thought, with amusement, 'Oh my. This could turn into another Roanapur Bad Girl Bikini Contest. That was riot to watch. And the event was hilarious to read. I have to admit that the punch line at the end, dealing with Akira winning was solid comedy gold. And I am going to have a front row see to this mad capped contest.'

As Lee turned, in his stool, towards Sam and Melvin, as he saw them chuckling, at his misfortune.

Lee finally dropped his poker face, as he openly scowled.

The women noticed this.

Janet thought, 'So, Lee does have a few weak points in the mask he puts up in front of us. It is obvious these two men are his friends. And when one of his friends acts negatively towards him, his lets his mask slip.'

'While I do not know enough about these two men, to use this against Lee. This is nice to know, for future use, later.'

'And from what I am guess, based one what Rock and Revy told us today, and last night, these two men are Sam and Melvin. Sam is the bearded man sitting by Lee. And the bartender, whom is standing across the counter from us.'

Meanwhile, Lee was still scowling, as he bitterly thought, 'After everything I have done for you. And this is they want to react to my current predicament. Still, while I consider you both my friends. If this is the way you are both going to treat this situation. And since I cannot talk my way out of this one. I am going to take the approach, that if I am going down. I taking you two with me.'

Lee continued to look at Sam and Melvin, suggested, “How about we have three judges? Sam can be a judge, and so can Melvin.”

Revy smiled, as she said, “That will work.”

Sam and Melvin immediately stopped laughing, while they turned to look at Lee.

And Lee could not help but drop his scowl, as he crack a grin at Sam and Melvin's reaction to his suggestion.

Lee thought, with amusement, 'Now, the shoe is on the other foot.'

Though, to everyone's surprised, Sam calmly said, “Okay. I willing to be judge.”

Melvin thought, 'Okay. I admit it. I should not have laughed at Lee's unfortunate situation. Still, I am not going to score these lunatics in any way. But, I cannot turn Lee down... Ah, that should work.'

Melvin looked around the group of adults near him, as he stated, “I won't be a judge. But, I am more then willing to be the announcer. That way, if there is a problem with the sound system, on stage, I am nearby to fix it.”

Rock complimented, “Good idea.”

Lee thought, 'Okay. You have a point there, Melvin. Though, we need a third judge. That is just the classic dynamic to these types of contest. So, they question becomes. Who is crazy enough to judge these lunatics? The Rats Nest bartender knows better... But, how about?... Yea, he might do it, just to stroke his ego, in saying, after the fact, that he did it.'

Lee turned to the five women standing on front of Melvin, Sam, and himself, as he stated, “I believe I know where I can find a third judge. Because, we are going to need three judges, to help prevent a tie.”

Revy said, “Then, I will leave that to you.”

Rock stated, “Now, to the important parts. The rules, and how the contest will be structured.”

Revy looked at her family, as she said, “I am open to suggestions. Do any of you, have any ideas on the rules?”

Benny replied, “Good question.”

Dutch said, “I am not sure myself.”

Janet commented, “Now, that I think about it. Neither do I.”

By then, Lee was able to take back hold of his poker face. Though, on the inside, Lee thought, with mild sarcasm, mixed with seriousness, 'Great. They want a contest between violent, lunatic women, and they don't even have an idea on how to go about it. If I say something, I tip my hand slightly to being the writer. But, if I say nothing. I will be leaving them to set up the rules. And if they are playing by their rules, this hotel might not survive this contest. Let alone the people inside it. Including, myself, Sam, and Melvin.'

Lee mentally grumbled, 'The things I do for people.'

Lee faked a cough.

The women, along with Sam and Melvin turned to him.

Lee said, “I have some suggestions. If you are open to them?”

Revy replied, “Sure.”

Lee explained, “It would likely be best to keep this simple. A one time walk onto the stage for each woman. Also, there is the karaoke machine on the stage. The women can choose between a performing a talent, or just singing a song.”

“At the same time, the women can wear something nice. It does not have to be a fancy dress. Just something that looks nice. Especially, given it is likely a few of you know acrobatics and dancing. And a skirt does not really work that well for acrobatics. Also, there should be two rules while performing. No weapons. And no violence.”

Revy commented, “That sounds reasonable.”

Janet thought, 'That sounds like something similar to what the writer wrote for the bikini contest. Though, that contest was fun to both be in and read. Still, Revy is right. Those are reasonable suggestions.'

Revy said, “Now, we just need to figure out the time.”

Melvin thought, 'Lee needs back up on this.' He turned to the five women, as he said, “How about tomorrow evening, at seven? That will give you plenty of time to prepare.”

Revy stated, “Yes. That is a good time.”

Lee thought, 'Now, for the icing on the cake. To prevent future repercussions from this contest.'

Lee mentioned, “And remember, ladies. This is all for fun. So, no hard feelings, after the contest is over.”

Rock thought, 'Lee, I see you are also covering your ass. And protecting your friends, as well. That is a nice move on your part.'

Rock said, “I will make sure the others get the message. And we will have no problems on that end.”

Revy shrugged, as she replied, “I can live with that.” She thought, 'After all. We are only paying for some beer, and bragging rights.'

Lee warned, “Good. And if any of you try to approach us before, or during the contest, to alter your scores, or someone else's score, you will be disqualified.”

Benny said, “That is fully understandable.”

Lee stated, “Good. Now, I need to talk to the judges, in private. See you tomorrow night.”

Rock said, “See you there.”

Then, four of Lagoon parents turned to walk away, and return to their tables, so they could begin their plans for tomorrow evening. Though, Dutch stayed behind, as she took a hard look at Melvin.

Melvin noticed Dutch looking at him. He remained cool, as he thought, 'Damn. I think Dutch may remember me. Why did those three have to show up?'

Dutch asked, “Have we met before?”

Melvin lied, “No ma'am. I believe I would remember meeting you.”

Dutch just shrugged. She then turned around, and headed back to join her family.

The three men then turned to look at each other.

Given both Lee and Melvin knew of the sharp hearing of many of the women, Sam was the first to speak, “So, what do we do?”

Lee answered, “Simple. We do this fairly. We judge fairly. And we keep things calm.”

Melvin said, “That is a good plan.”

Sam stated, “I agree. So, who do you have in mind for the third judge?”

Lee grinned, as he said, “I would prefer that to remain a surprise.” He mentally added, 'Because I am not yet sure that he is going to say, yes.'

(_)

Nearby, as Dutch had overheard what Lee had said, when she left the three men. Dutch then made it back to her table. She sat back down in the chairs, at the table that she, Benny, Janet, Revy, and Rock had previously occupied, before they went to talk to Lee. With the four other women already sitting in their seats.

Dutch looked over at the four other adults, as she smiled. She thought, 'Lee still wants to do this fair. That is nice of him, considering the grief we put him through today. Maybe he is not the writer.'

Dutch continued to look around the table, as she asked, “Did any of you just overhear what Lee said?”

Revy said, “Yea.”

Rock said, “Yes.”

Benny commented, “That is nice of him to still want to do things fair.”

Janet stated, “Perhaps we misjudged him.”

Dutch replied, “Perhaps we did.”

The five adults talked to each other, and their family and friends nearby. With them enjoying some karaoke, as well. While they informed the others of the details to the contest.

(_)

A little while later, it was just after seven PM, that evening, Lee had finally made it to the Last Resort Diner. Given the interest that the Lagoon family had suddenly taken in him, Lee took a long way around to get to the diner, to make sure he was not followed. Which he wasn't.

Given Lee's experiences in the time loop. He had long sent learned how to spot someone tailing him. And he had used some skills, when he felt he needed too.

After Lee parked his pink car, he walked inside, and he saw Pedro also sitting at their booth in the back right of the diner. Pedro was facing in the entrance to the diner. He was having a glass of ice and water.

Lee also noticed that Pedro was calmly looking at him. Though, Lee did not visually response to Pedro's calm gaze.

As Lee passed by Mary. He came to a stop, as turned to the women. He requested, “Hi Mary. I will just have a sweet tea tonight.”

Mary stopped, as she looked over at Lee. She said, “Coming right up, Lee.” She then turned, and went to get Lee a glass of iced sweet tea.

As this went on, Lee turned to Pedro, and he started back to walking towards the police chief of the city.

After Lee sat down in the booth, across from Pedro, he calmly said, “I sincerely apologize for standing you up last night. But, there was no choose. I had to hide in my room, and Sam was with me, so I could not call you, without him knowing we were working together.”

Pedro asked, whom spoke in a tone of voice that was more out of curiosity, than annoyance, “Considering the people you deal with on a daily basis, what could make you run and hide for the night?”

Lee answered, “Dutch, Benny, and Janet showed up, yesterday evening. In the front lobby, just as Sam and I had returned from the Rats Nest, with my car.”

Pedro agreed, in a straightforward tone of voice, “That is a good reason.”

Lee stated, “Luckily, while Sam and I were still in the parking lot, I saw them through the windows, as they had their reunion with their family. And they did not see me, nor Sam. I then convinces Sam to change our plans for the evening. And he then followed me around back of the hotel. We took the back elevators to my suite. And we ate in my room. With Sam then soon retiring to his own room for the night.”

Pedro said, “Okay. That wasn't too bad.”

Lee responded, “I know. Unfortunately, given my luck. Things got worse today. The three of them confronted me at lunch. They already suspect I was the writer. But, I was able to throw them off my scent... For now.”

Pedro inquired, “That is good. But, I have a feeling that is more to your story?”

Lee mentioned, “Yes. There is. At supper, less than an hour ago, I got suckered into judging a talent contest, with their whole crew being the contestants.”

Pedro sternly stated, “If it is a bikini contest, and you are trying recreate your own rendition of what you wrote in book one, I am turning you over to those women, myself.”

Lee swiftly said, “First, it was Revy's idea. Second, I talked them out of having a bikini contest. It is now a talent and singing contest, with no weapons, and no violence.”

Pedro considered what Lee said for a few seconds. He then agreed, “That could work.”

Lee mentioned, “Still, I am knowingly crossing the line twice on this matter. And we need a third judge. Sam is the second judge. And Melvin wisely talked himself out of being a judge, and he is instead the announcer. So, for the third judge, I was thinking of you.”

Pedro sarcastically asked, “And why would I willingly want to put my hand in such a meat grinder?”

Lee explained, “Because, this is the perfect opportunity to introduce yourself to them. I will say, I called the police chief, you, to come judge, because you, as far as they know, are impartial. And it is a good way to prevent things from getting out of hand.”

“If there is a battle, at the contest. We have no way of knowing how things might settle out. They might wreck hotel, but still stay in town. With them scattering, as they find new lodgings around town. At least, at the moment. Except for Eda and Yolanda. We have them all staying in one place. That hotel.”

Pedro replied, “You have a point there. Please, go on.”

Lee thought, 'With pleasure.' Lee went onto say, “For you. The situation will give you a good excuse to get a good, close up, look at these women, and take a measure of each of them, on their character... And body. Without them suspecting a thing. While, at the same time, you can give them good scores, and work on getting into their good graces.”

Pedro conceded, “Hmm... I can see the logic in your madness. Still, if I go, it is likely we are all going to end up dead, by the end of the contest.”

Lee smiled, as he commented, “We are being asked to judge one of the most badass, and sexiest, collections of women in the multiverse. If things go bad, can you think of a more awesome way to go?”

Pedro could not hide his smirk, as he admitted, “No.”

Lee said, “The contest is at seven PM, at the Devil's Hotel restaurant and bar. I will meet you outside the front of the entrance to the Devil's Hotel lobby, at six forty-five PM. If you can make that.”

Pedro replied, “I can make that.”

Lee inquired, “Good. So, how was your day?”

Pedro answered, “Fine for the most part. Though, I am getting rumblings that some group has come into town, whom could cause trouble. Though, I got nothing concrete yet, on who that are.”

Lee politely requested, “That troubles me. Could you please keep me in the loop.”

Pedro asked, “I will. Also, I was wondering. While, I know Janet is hot. I want to know how hot Benny and Dutch are as women?”

Lee stated, “Pretty hot. Like in the Boys and Girls omake, but better. Dutch pulls off her hotness quiet well. And even Benny is sexy. She is not as flat chested as I thought she would be. I think her pregnancy may have added a cup size to each of her breasts. Though, you will find out all this tomorrow.”

Pedro smiled, as he said, “I look forward to it.”

By then, Mary had come to give Lee his glass of sweet, iced tea. She then walked away, to serve her other customers.

Lee and Pedro then continued to have a casual conversation for the next half hour, before they said their goodbyes, paid for their drinks, including their tips, and then left for the evening.

Though, there was a little twilight left in the day, before dark.

(_)

As Lee and Pedro exited the Last Resort Diner, and they entered the parking lot of the diner, they split up, with both of them walking to their cars, and getting into their vehicles.

Pedro then started his car, exited the parking lot. Next, he drove away, down the road, as he headed for him home.

Meanwhile, Lee got into his car and started the engine, he sat there for a few minutes, while he thought about someone. He then said, out loud, “As a courtesy, I have to ask her.”

He then put the car in reverse, to get out of his parking space. He then put the vehicle in drive, and he drove his car to exit the parking lot, as he headed down the road, to his next location.

(_)

Ten minutes later, Lee parked his car in the Rats Nest parking lot, and he walked into the front entrance of the Rats Nest bar. It was busy at that time of night, but Lee was able to make it to the bar counter, without any serious problems.

As Lee did so, the bartender noticed him. She walked up to him, from behind the counter, as she asked, “What are you doing here so late?”

Lee stated, “At the moment, I am not here to buy anything. There is something you need to know. Revy and the girls decided to have a talent contest tomorrow evening, around seven. And since you are a beautiful woman, well...”

The bartender took the hint, as she said, “No. I am not going. I have no interest in competing with those lunatics. But, thank you for asking.”

Lee responded, “Okay. I just had to inform you. I did not want you to be insulted.”

The bartender commented, “I appreciate your concern for my feelings. I might have been insulted, if you did not at least offered me the invitation. But still, I wish you good luck in how you are caught up in this. Knowing your luck, I am sure they roped you into being one of the judges.”

Lee said, “You know me way too well.”

The bartender let out a laugh. She then stated, “See you later, Lee.”

Lee replied, “You too.”

Lee then headed out of the bar, and for his car. He then noticed that the sun had finally fallen passed the western horizon, and it was dark.

When Lee reached his car, he got into it, and he drove back to the hotel. So, he could go to bed early. Though, he would have go find Sam, and take him to a private location in the hotel, to let Sam know that that he was just too emotionally drained to watch karaoke, or to play poker tonight.

(_)

The next evening, directly outside of the Devil's Hotel.

It was six forty-five PM, and Lee was standing, alone, outside the front entrance to the hotel lobby, under the large awning. There was no one else outside, in the general vicinity with Lee.

Lee was in his usual clothing, blue cloth jacket, baseball cap, and glasses.

Lee looked at his watch. He then look at the road across the parking lot from him, and he saw a car pulled into the parking lot.

Lee immediately recognized it as Pedro personal car.

As Lee continued to watch Pedro drive his car further into the parking lot, as a reasonable speed, Lee thought, with a bit of amusement, 'Good. He is right on time.'

Lee soon saw Pedro had parked his car.

Pedro got out of his car, shut the drive side door, and was walking towards Lee.

As Pedro came closer, Lee saw Pedro looking back at him.

Lee thought, 'You likely saw me when you turned into the parking lot.'

Lee then took a closer look at what Pedro was wearing his white button up shirt, brown tie, brown pants, brown leather belt, black boots, and his brown long coat. Though, he not wearing his hat, nor sunglasses.

Lee thought, 'So, Pedro. You want to humanize your first impression with the women here. That is an intelligent move on your part.'

When Pedro reach him, under the awning, Pedro came to a stop, six feet from Lee.

Lee stated, “Good to have you come.”

Pedro said, in english, “I am glad to be here. As I was coming here, I got to thinking. And I have a question you might be able to answer. Why do all hot women seem to be so damn crazy?”

Lee responded, “I figured it is some sort of cosmic balance thing. Where if the hot women were not crazy, they would be ruling the world. Now, don't get me wrong, some of the crazy one's might try to take over the world. But, there is a big difference between taking over the world, and ruling it.”

Pedro replied, “I guess that makes sense.”

Lee said, “Come on. Let's go inside. We both admit they are crazy. And it is not a good idea to keep crazy people waiting you.”

Pedro stated, “Good point.”

Lee commented, “Anyway, everything has been set up. The girls are in their outfits, in the hotel restaurant, by the stage. Melvin is by the stage, and Sam is sitting at our table.”

Lee thought, 'I even already figured out how I would score them. And I think I struck a good balance, between natural beauty, appearance of clothing, and talent, that the girls will like.'

Pedro replied, “Okay. How are we going to judge this?”

Lee stated, “Score, one through ten. Ten being the best. There is a pen and paper for you to write down your scores. We have the names already printed on sheet of paper. Also, there are laminated boards, with erasable black markers to hold us. The rag by the board is used to wipe off the previous score.”

Lee thought, 'I am so happy that this afternoon, Sam and I checked with Melvin, on this matter. And Melvin handled the supplies for us.'

Pedro inquired, “I understand. So, how did these women decide what order to go in?”

Lee answered, “From what I was told by Violin, they drew random lots from a hat.” He thought, 'And Violin was helpful in information us of their performance order, at lunch, here at the hotel restaurant. From what I understand. The women decided the order from pulling lots from a hat. A bit cliché. But, it works.'

Pedro replied, “Okay. And how many are we judging?”

Lee answered, “Counting Dutch, Benny, Janet, Eda, and Yolanda. Along with the rest of them. The number is twenty-three women.”

Pedro commented, “That is quite a lot of chances for trouble.”

Lee replied, “I agree.”

Pedro asked, “Did anyone else get asked to come to this little insanity waiting to happen?”

Lee thought, 'I might as well tell him.' He said, “Yes. Given I know her. I did ask the bartender at the Rats Nest, to join the contest. Though, from her response, she clearly knew better, and declined.”

Pedro commented, “Of all the hot women I know, she is probably one of the sanest.”

Lee replied, “That we agree on.”

Pedro said, “I even heard about that dance routine she pulled with some guy in a gray suit, at the hotel here, during the Day of the Dead dance party. I wonder which guy was lucky enough to get her into a dress and go dancing?”

Lee could not help but smirk, in response to Pedro's comment.

Pedro noticed Lee's smirk. He put two and two together, as he accused, “It was you.”

Lee continued to smile, as he said, “Yea. And she is a great woman. Though, we did not sleep together. We did have a great time together that day. Also, except for the bartender, no one else knows that it was me at that dance. So, keep that under your hat.”

Pedro stated, “I will do so.”

Lee dropped his smile, as he mentioned, “Thank you. Also, a reminder. Most of these women have enhance hearing. And not just the ones with the super-soldier serum.”

“Remember, Aeryn is an alien with enhanced senses. And Violin is half alien. And I am sure she has good hearing, as well.

“Also, these women are sharp in many ways. So, do not say any injokes. Say nothing that they might pick up on. On that matter, do not. I repeat, do not state their names. Since you have no been formally introduced to them, you should not know their names. To do so would immediately give us both always. Then, it would be all over.”

Pedro responded, “Those are good points.” He mentally added, 'Damn. When Lee is on the ball. He is on the ball.'

Lee commented, “Though, once this contest is over, you will officially know there names. So, there will be no problem on that matter, after tonight.”

Pedro said, “That is a good point, as well.”

Lee stated, “I know. Also, I almost forget. I know Melvin is your friend. But, along with everyone else, no one knows that we talk to each other a lot. So, pretend that I just asked you at the police station to come.”

Pedro stated, “I see where you are coming from. I remember what you said last night, on the matter. And I will keep that in mind.”

Lee replied, “Thank you.”

A thought them occurred to Pedro, as he asked, “On a related matter. As crazy as it sounds. Does this situation, we have found ourselves in, for the last few months, feel like a twisted spy thriller to you?”

Lee flatly said, “All the damn time.”

Lee thought, 'Though, with the time loop, it has been more like decades to me.'

Lee commented, “Now, let's get inside.”

Both men then entered the entryway of the lobby. With Lee opening the left door to them, for Pedro.

Pedro stated, “Thanks.”

Pedro then walked into the entryway, with Lee following behind him, while Lee let the door he had open close behind him, by itself.

When Pedro reached the doors from the entryway, to the front lobby, Pedro held the right door open for Lee.

Lee said, “Thank you.”

Lee then walked into the front lobby. Pedro walked into the front lobby, behind Lee, with him letting the door close on its own.

As the entered the lobby together, the lobby speakers changed to the nineteen eighty-six rock song, Tonight, Tonight, Tonight, by Genesis.

But, given the both men were in a hurry. They did not pay attention to the musical change.

Instead, both men turned to their left, as they continued talking towards the hotel restaurant.

(_)

A minute later, both men walked into the hotel restaurant. Lee walked beside Pedro, to Pedro's left side.

As the two men casually walked further into the room, Lee looked around, and he saw a number of things.

First, he saw Revy, Rock, and their crew, wearing nice clothing. The group of contestants, were sitting in the chairs, at the tables, on the other side of the bar, to the left of the stage,. Some of them even had a few instruments, and other things, with them. Either by their side, or on various tables beside him.

Though, Lee saw that none of the women had weapons on them.

Lee thought, 'Good. They took the no weapons rule seriously. That is a good sign for this contests.'

Lee then turned to look at the how the lighting had been set up around the stage. Which was slightly brighter than the rest of the room, but not to bright. Also, the rest of the room lights had dimmed a bit for the contest.

Lee realized, 'The lights must be on dimmer switches. I did not know that. I guess there are some things I missed in the time loop. And I guess the lighting outside of the stage, is twenty-five percent less than normal. Still, plenty of light to see with, but dim enough to get the lighting effect for performances on stage.'

Next, Lee looked in front of the stage, to see a small rectangular table, parallel with the stage. The table was set ten feet back from the stage, with nothing between the stage and the table. There where three cushioned, armless chairs, set in a row, at the table, with the chairs facing the stage, from across the table.

Lee was what was on the table.

Lee thought, 'This is the table for the three judges. Sam, Pedro, and I. With the pens, markers, papers, cloth rags for the marker boards, and other items, we need for the contest. There is even a pitcher of ice water, and four glasses sit out for us. Sam, Pedro, Melvin, and myself. I am sure that Melvin will get thirsty, as he acts at the announcer... Or, more aptly, ring master to this full blown circus.'

Lee then focused on Sam, whom was already seated at the table, to the far left. And even from behind, Lee could see that Sam was wearing his usual clothing.

Behind the judges table, opposite to the stage, was where the rest of the tables and chairs were place at, for the audience. And there was a mix of other customers, whom heard about the contest, and had already arrive, and sat at the tables, while they patiently waited for the contest to begin.

Lee thought, 'From what I heard on the grapevine, from Melvin. Is that the rest of the customers just consider this talent contest to be just a form of dinner entertainment, on a special occasion, to watch. They don't realize how dangerous this situation could be come.'

'And as much as I want to warn them, I cannot. If, or Melvin, warned them, either one of us, would likely ruin the night for the girls, and blow are cover towards them.'

'As such, I hope things turn out alright. Because, if things head south, I am get out of the hotel, as quickly as possible. Until things calm down, by tomorrow morning.'

Lee then noticed, that even though the bar was closed, there were waitresses taking orders from the customers.

Lee thought, 'Given the hotel is hosting them. I cannot hold it against them to make a buck off of this contest.'

Lee then saw Melvin, in a nice tuxedo, approaching them.

Lee thought, while being impressed, 'Damn. Melvin looks good. To bad I cannot break out one of my suits. But, then the girls would recognize me, as they put it, mister dance. And doing so, would raise too many question for me, from them.'

When Melvin reached Lee and Pedro. The three men stopped walking, as they faced each other.

Melvin look over at Lee, then Pedro, then back Lee. He stated, “So, this is the third judge. Nice choice.”

Pedro said, “Hi Melvin.”

Melvin replied, “Hi Pedro.” He then turned to Lee, as he questioned, “Lee, I didn't know you knew Pedro?”

Lee thought, 'Oh hell. My secretive nature has finally come back to potentially bite me in the ass.'

'I forget to tell Pedro a few things about this situation. Such as, that while I know Pedro and Melvin are friends. And that Pedro knows Melvin was in the Black Lagoon series. I forgot to remind Pedro that Melvin does not know that he knows this.'

'Also, Melvin doesn't know that I know about the Black Lagoon series. And we are surrounded by the girls, with a number of them having enhanced hearing.'

'And while, I do not mind Melvin knowing my connection to Pedro. I don't want the girls to know this. As such, this is a dangerous conversation, no matter how someone looks at it. I have got to change the subject, fast.'

Lee said, “Gentlemen, this is a discussion for another time. And it would be unwise to keep these women waiting.”

Pedro thought, 'Because you know the girls will overhear us. Good thinking, Lee.' Pedro looked at both Lee and Melvin, as he agreed, “Quite right.”

Melvin thought, 'Good point, Lee. The women can overhear us.'

Melvin said, “If you both will come this way, your seats and table are already prepared.”

Melvin then turned around, as the three men headed to the judges table, and the stage.

Half a minute later, Lee sat down in the middle chair of the judged table, with Pedro sitting down in the chair to his right side, and Sam was in the chair to his left side.

Melvin stood on the floor, between the stage, and the judges table, with a wireless microphone in his right hand.

All four glasses at the table, were filled. With one set in front of each of the judges. And the last glass sit on the other side, near Melvin.

Also, the judges had their pens, paper, marker, small marker board, and rags, ready for the contest.

Lee thought, 'Melvin is smart to not to want to share a stage with them. In his place, as the announcer, I would not want be on that stage, either.'

(_)

Nearby, on the left, back side of the room, at their tables, many of the women sitting at the tables, had noticed Pedro. Including, Revy. With Revy being the first to ask, “Who is the new guy with Lee, Sam, and Melvin?”

Yolanda answered, “I do not know.”

Eda said, “Me neither. Though, he has come to the food truck, on occasion. And he was nice to us, and we were nice to him.”

Rock suggested, “Perhaps we should find out, before the contest beginnings.”

Revy said, “Good idea.” She then stood up. She turn towards the direction of the judges table, as she yelled, “Hey! Who is the new guy?!”

Rock groaned, as she quietly said, “In a more dignified fashion.”

There were snickers among their group, from those that heard Rock's comment.

(_)

Meanwhile, across the room, the four men near the stage, overheard Revy's comment. And they turned their attention towards the group of women.

Pedro thought, 'I might as well get this over with.' He got up from his chair and turned to face the ladies.

Pedro firmly stated, in a calm manner, in english, with enough strength in his voice to carry over the room, but not enough to be a yell, “I am Pedro Del Soto, the chief of police for the city of De La Plata Podrido.”

Pedro turned to Lee. He then turned back to look at the women, as he lied, “Lee here, came to me, at the police station, and he asked if I was willing to be the judge for the contest, and to help keep things peaceful. I said, yes. And I consider it an honor to asked to be a judge for this contest.”

Rock thought, with concern, 'He is the police chief of the city.'

Eda muttered, “I am glad I was nice to him.”

Dutch mentioned, “So, Lee knows the police chief.”

Lotton stated, “Also, the first night we were here, Melvin mentioned knowing the police chief, as well. That was after he took Revy's pistols away from her hands, pinned her to the bar counter, and held a combat knife to her left eye, while threatening her life.”

Dutch, Benny, and Janet all looked over at Lotton, with surprised expressions on their faces.

Dutch forced herself to calm down, as she looked back at Rock and Revy, whom were looking at Lotton. She thought, 'I see those two have not told use everything that has gone on, during their stay on this island. I will have to ask them about that, later.' She turned to Lotton, as she continued her thoughts, 'Though, I would like to heard what Lotton has to say on this matter.

Janet made herself calm down, as she questioned, “And he is still breathing?”

Lotton turned to Janet, as she said, “I will tell you, later. But, the short answer is that there are a lot of badasses in this city, whom would just prefer not to fight.”

Dutch said, “We heard.”

By then, Benny had calmed down, as she commented, “Rock and Revy said the same thing. But, we will get the full story on Melvin, later.”

Lotton replied, “I look forward to telling you.”

Meanwhile, Revy was still standing. The redhead turned to look at Lee, whom was sitting across the room, as he was looking at her.

Revy stated, “Lee, you brought cops here.”

This caused all the women to turn their attention back towards the judges.

Lee continued to look in Revy's direction, as he casually shrugged. He replied, “Just one. To keep things honest.”

Everyone else laughed, as Revy rolled her eyes for a few seconds.

Revy then sat back down in her chair, as she stared at the judges, in silence.

Across the room, Pedro sat back in his chair, as well.

Everyone then turned their attention to Melvin. With them waiting for him to announce the start of the contest.

Just then, a waitress walked up to the judges table, to take their drink order.

With Melvin standing nearby, the waitress asked, “What will you four men have to drink?”

Lee thought, 'They water must be just in case we don't want anything else to drink. And I do need to remind these men of something.'

Lee suggested, “I suggest we stay sober gentlemen, so our judgments are not question.”

Sam said, “I agree.”

Pedro thought, 'Good idea. Also, I don't want to be drunk if things go to hell.' He said, “Good idea, Lee.”

Melvin overheard the three men next to him. Move his microphone away from his face, as he turned to look at the judges. He stated, “The last things we need to do is get drunk in this situation. So, I will take a glass of lemonade.”

Lee said, “I will also have a glass of lemonade.”

Pedro ordered, “Coffee for myself.”

Sam requested, “I will just have the water I already have.”

As the waitress left, Lee then looked at his digital wrist watch, it was seven PM on the dot.

Lee looked over at Melvin, whom was staring back at him.

Lee whispered, “It's time.”

Melvin nodded once in acknowledge to Lee's comment.

Melvin then held the microphone in his right hand, to his mouth, as he tested his microphone. He said, in english, “Testing. Testing.” And he heard the speakers work.

Just then, Pedro realized, in thought, 'Oh hell. Lee never stated how we will score the women. This is a talent show, not a straight out talent contest.'

Pedro turned to Lee, as he whispered, “How are we going to score these contestants?”

Lee thought, with mild annoyance, 'I knew I forget to do something.' He turned to Pedro, as he said, “Don't worry. I have an idea.”

Lee turned to Melvin, as he requested, “Can I borrow you microphone for a few seconds.”

Melvin replied, “Sure.”

Melvin handed Lee his microphone.

With the microphone in his left hand, Lee looked over at the women. He stated, into the microphone, “Okay ladies. Here is how the scoring is going to work. One time walk in, you perform your talent, whatever. Talent counts for fifty percent. Dress is thirty percent. Looks count for twenty percent. Does that work for everyone?”

Lee thought, 'That should keep the less sexy, though no less beautiful women, in the contest, happy. And it keeps things fair.'

Lee looked around him, he saw the ladies all nodding, along with Sam, Pedro, and Melvin.

Lee continued his thoughts, 'I see I was correct.'

(_)

At the table, left of the stage, Sawyer thought, 'Now, that is a fair judgment. That gives those of us, like myself, whom are not the most stacked, a good chance at winning.'

Nearby, Benny and Lotton were sitting near each other. Lotton commented, “Looks like we got a chance in this contest, Benny.”

Benny smiled, as she happily replied, “I agree.”

(_)

Lee then realized something. He looked behind him, and at the crowd. He suspicions were confirmed. He turned back to the women, across the room, to his left, as he stated, into the microphone, “Also ladies, there are a few children in this crowd. So, let us keep this clean.”

Lee could see some mild disappointment in a few of their faces, but they seem to react with understanding.

Lee thought, “Good. They realize what I am asking of them is reasonable. Now, to give this microphone back to Melvin. And we can finally start this circus of insanity.'

Lee then handed the microphone back to Melvin.

Just after Melvin received the microphone in his right hand, the waitress, whom took their orders, came back. She used a tray to bring them their drinks. She then set the drinks on the table, for those whom orders them.

A few seconds later, as the waitress left, Melvin took a sip of his lemonade, with his left hand. As he held his microphone with his right hand. He then sat it down at the corner of the table, across from Pedro.

Melvin then pulled out a small sheet, from his left outside coat side pocket, with his left hand.

He then looked at it. Next, he turned to this audience, as he said, in english, into the microphone, “Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you tonight's entertainment. Which will be a talent contest between these gorgeous women to my right. I hope you enjoy it. And our first contestant is, Dutch.”

Dutch got up from her seat, as she carried a musical instrument with her.

When Dutch got to the stage, those in front of the stage, including Melvin, the judges, and the crowd, saw she wore a green bikini top, green light cloth, drawstring pants, and green flat sole slippers. Also, she was carrying a guitar.

As Pedro looked at the young, sexy, black women, he thought, 'So, this is Dutch. As a women. She does look nice. And with short brown dreadlocks, and the clothing she has on, that is a simple but nice look for her.

(_)

On stage, Dutch carried her guitar in her right hand, as she walked over to the corner of the stage, by the karaoke machine. She picked up a wireless microphone on it, on top the karaoke machine, and a stand for the microphone, that was by the corner of the stage.

As Dutch walked back to the center of the stage, she thought, 'It is surprising the things one will learn, when rich, to solve one's boredom. Not that I am complaining. I am glad I learned to play the guitar. And I have always liked this song. It somehow speaks to me.'

Dutch set the stand in the front, middle of the stage. She then inserted the microphone in the holder, at the top of the stand. With the microphone facing her.

Dutch then stood, as she got her guitar in position. When she was ready, she stated, “I am not going to use the karaoke machine. Instead, I am just going to play this song completely by myself.”

Dutch stood in place, as she started playing a guitar rendition of the song, Ghost Riders in the Sky, she soon began singing the lyrics, with her feminine voice.

And she sang the, Ghost Riders in the Sky, song, well, on key, and in tune.

After Dutch finished her song, the crowd applauded her. And she smiled in response.

As the applause ended, Dutch looked down at the score boards the judges held up for her. They judges turned the boards around so the audience, could see the scores as well.

Sam used his pen to write the score he made for Dutch, on his piece of paper. He then used his marker on his marker board. He then held up marker board for Dutch to see. He then turned around board around for the audience to see.

Meanwhile, Lee and Pedro used their pens to write down on their papers, Sam's score for Dutch.

Sam gave Dutch a seven.

Sam then lowed his board.

Sam turned to Dutch, as he commented, “Nice song.”

Sam then use his rag to wipe it off.

Pedro wrote down his score on his piece of paper. He then wrote down his score on the marker board. He held up the board, first for Dutch to see. Then, he turned the board, for the audience to see.

Lee and Sam used their pieces of paper to write down Pedro's score.

Pedro also gave Dutch a seven.

Pedro lowered his board. He turned to Dutch, as he said, “I believe you did a good job. Though, not a great job.”

Pedro then used the rag to erase his score form his board.

Lee wrote down the score he would give Dutch. He then wrote down the same score on his marker board. He held up the board. First, for Dutch to see. Then, he turned it around for the audience to see.

Sam and Pedro wrote down Lee's score for Dutch, on their pieces of paper.

Lee gave Dutch an eight.

Lee set his marker board down.

Lee turned to Dutch, as he stated, “You did a fine performance. And set a good standard for the rest of the contest.

Lee then used his rag to wipe off his marker board.

Dutch thought, 'That is a fair, respectable score.' She said, “Thank you.”

She returned the stand where it was, in the corner, with the microphone she had use, still being in the stand. She then left, with the guitar in her right hand.

Melvin looked at the list in his left hand. He then turned to the audience, as he stated, in his microphone, as he said, “Let us thank Dutch for that wonderful performance. A great way to kick off this contest. Our next contestant is Ranma.”

Lee looked over at the tables that we left of the stage, he saw not only Ranma stand up, but also Akira and Natsuru stand up.

Lee thought, 'What is going on?'

Ranma asked, “I was wondering. Since it is not against the rules, could I, along with Akira, and Natsuru, perform together for the same score for each of us, at the same time?”

Lee thought, 'Damn. I did not include a, only one person at a time, in the rules. Let's see what the others think.'

Lee looked at Sam, whom just shrugged.

Lee looked at Pedro, whom said, “It's okay with me.”

Lee then looked at Melvin, whom, “Whatever you want to do?”

Lee turned to Ranma, as he said, “Okay. You are allowed to perform, together. But, you will all get the same score. If you three get the winning score, it will be a tie, and you will just to share the prize. We will not be having any run off contests.” He thought, 'With this crew, that is just asking for trouble.'

Ranma cracked a smile, as she replied, “We can live with that.”

Melvin overheard, as he stated, “The judges have decided to let Ranma, Natsuru, and Akira will perform together, at one time. The redhead is Ranma. The blond is Akira. And the blue haired woman is Natsuru.”

Melvin turned to look at Pedro, whom was looking at the women. Melvin thought, 'Just so you know which one is which, Pedro.'

As the three women walked up on stage, those of the crowd saw that all three women were each wearing sundresses and flat slippers that match their hair colors.

All three walked to over to the karaoke machine. Each picked up a wireless microphone. Natsuru then set the karaoke machine, with all three women swiftly, though gracefully walked together, to the front, middle of the stage.

Ranma was in the center, with Akira to her right, and Natsuru to her left.

The karaoke version of the Fire Incorporated version of the rock song, Nowhere Fast, with Ranma as the main vocal singer. And Akira and Natsuru where the back up vocals.

The three women sang in key, in sync, and in tune with each other, and the music.

Pedro and Lee looked at each other. Pedro silently mouthed, “Streets of Fire movie?”

Lee just shrugged both his shoulders, in an, I don't know, position.

Both men then turned back to watching the trio continued singing.

While everyone in the room watched the performance, Lee thought, 'It figures that Ranma would take lead, considering she has singing skills. The Christmas party OVA, along the endings and openings to the OVAs proved that. In my writings, I just took the next logical step in her skills. Also, Akira, and Natsuru are doing pretty good, as well.'

The three women continued to do a wonderful job of singing the song, Nowhere Fast.

When the three lovers finished singing. The crowd applauded them.

Pedro gave them all an eight. He complimented, “I can tell that you guys worked hard on this. And I admire that.”

Lee gave them all a seven. He said, “Good form and talent. But, I was expecting more from you.”

Sam gave them all a five, as he calmly said, “Sorry. I just was not feeling song. But, when it came to teamwork, all three of you did do a good job.”

The trio silently bowed, returned their microphones where they found them. They then left the stage, so they could go sit back down in their seats.

Melvin stated, into his microphone, “Okay. That was a fine performance by Ranma, Natsuru, and Akira. Next up is Shenhua.”

Shenhua calming got up, and walked up onto the stage.

Shenhua wore an embroidered, white qipao, which was more elegantly than the red qipao she usually wears. Along with this, she wore flat white slippers, instead of her usual high-heels.

Shenhua looked down at the judges, as she stated, “I am going to perform a Taiwanese folk dance.”

Shenhua then walked over and set the karaoke machine to place some relaxing, Chinese style music.

Shenhua made it back to the center of the stage, and as the music started. She then began dancing.

Her dance was gracefully and fluid.

Her dance lasted close to five minutes. As the music came to an end, she stopped dancing.

She turned to the crowded, and did a simple bow.

The audience clapped at her performance, for a few seconds.

As the applause ended, Shenhua looked at the judges to see their scores.

Pedro silently gave her an eight, as he thought, 'I have no interest on getting on this woman's bad side. Nor, the rest of them for that matter.'

Lee gave her a seven, as he stated, “That was flawless, and graceful, as what I would expect from a lady such as yourself. But, I have seen you when drunk, and you performance just now lacked the passion that I was expecting from you.”

Sam gave her a six, as he said, “Lee is right. You could have done better.”

Shenhua just shrugged. She then turned to her right side, and walked back off stage.

Melvin stated into his microphone, “And our next contestant is, Benny.”

Benny got up, and she walked onto the stage, and over to the karaoke machine.

Everyone saw that Benny was wearing black balloon pants, yellow tennis shoes, and a yellow crop top, with a yellow sports bra underneath. She had her head in her usual ponytail

Lee thought, 'I guess she is going for more talent, than looks. Not that I mind. I wonder what she is about to do.'

A second later, some funk music began, and Benny starting break dancing.

Lee held back a laugh, as he mentally reflected, in thought, 'This I was not expecting. But, I like it.'

Benny then did a number of head spins, flips, and other movements, with flawless ability.

Lee thought, 'I am glad to see Benny make used of her enhanced physical abilities, from that super-soldier serum I gave her.'

When the music came to a stop, she immediately jumped back to her feet, with her facing the judges, and the crowd.

Benny smiled, as the crowd applauded her.

Lee gave her an eight. He stated, “Good job.”

Sam gave her a six. He said, “You movements are flawless. But, it is clear that you have no done them in a while. Also, you needed to better organize your movements.

Pedro gave her a six, as well. He commented, “Sam is right. You got the skills. You just need more practice.”

Benny did not respond. Instead, she turned and walked off stage.

(_)

When Benny got back to her seat, she sat down in his chair.

Nearby, Violin turned to Benny, as she asked, “Where did you learn to do that?”

Benny looked over at Violin, as she answered, “I was in college during the eighties. I did some break dancing, as a hobby with my friends. And Sam and the Police Chief, are right. I should have practiced and organized my moves better.”

Violin said, “Well, that just means there is room for improvement.”

Benny replied, “Thank you.”

(_)

Meanwhile, in front of the stage, Melvin stated, “Next up is Kristina.”

Kristina got up from her chair, and walked up onto stage.

In her right hand Kristina was holding a harmonic.

While Kristina went to get the stand with the microphone, the judges saw she was wearing a tanned long skirt, with a tanned long sleeved blouse, with tanned slippers. The clothing looked like a woman's style from the seventies. The tanned color clothing was lighter than her skin tone, but darker than her brown dreadlocks, which were pulled back into a ponytail. With the tanned color going well with both her skin tone and hair color.

Lee thought, 'Most people don't realize that, in this day and age, beauty does not have to show off a lot of skin. One can present oneself as beautiful, while maintaining modesty. I guess this modest trait is a carryover from when she was Claude, in her previous life.'

As soon as Kristina brought the stand to the middle, front of the stage, she starting playing her harmonic. While she stood in place, she played a piece of blues music. It was sad, but beautiful.

When Kristina was finished, the audience clapped.

Kristina looking down at the judges.

Sam gave her an eight. He complimented, “That music has soul to it.”

Pedro gave her a second. He stated, “I could feel the music.”

Lee gave her a six. Lee said, “You have skill. I hope to listen to your music sometime in the future. But, you need just stood there. Sam is right. You have soul in that music. And Pedro is right. I could feel the music. But, the blues is also about body, as well as soul. And you lacked movement. That cost you points.”

Kristina was silent for a few seconds. She then shrugged, as she agreed, “You right. I was so focused on playing that I forget to move with the beat.”

Kristina then picked up the stand, one handed, returned it to its place, and walked off the stage.

Melvin looked at his sheet of paper. He then stated, “Well, ladies and gentlemen, next up is Nodoka.”

Nodoka stood up from her seat. She turned to the judges, as she stated, “I have a request. I talked it over with my friends here. And we would like it if I, and my two sisters, can go one after another. Our talents would be best showed back to back.”

Lee stated, “Since you girls picked the order, that will be fine with us. But, this performance will not scored differently. You will each be judged solely by your own performance.”

Nodoka said, “Thank you. That will be fine. I will go first. The Mikoto, then Yurika.” She then walked up stage, and picked up a microphone.

Everyone saw that Nodoka was dressed in denim shorts, t-shirts, with a sports bra underneath, and tennis shoes. All of her clothing matched her purple hair.

Meanwhile, Melvin stated, into his microphone, “Well, it looks like there will be a slight schedule change. We are going to have three sisters coming onto the stage. One after another. First, Nodoka. Then, Mikoto. And finally, Yurika.”

Melvin then set his microphone on the table. Next, he pulled out a pin, and marked off Mikoto and Yurika from the list. So, he would not accidentally call their names later. After which, Melvin put away his pen, and picked up his microphone with his right hand.

(_)

After Nodoka walked back to the center of the stage to with the microphone, she stated, “My sisters and I have decided to show off some of our martial arts abilities, as our talent. And to keep things from becoming boring. Each of us will show a different style of martial arts. Though, we are masters of all three styles that are about to be shown to you. Please enjoy.”

Nodoka walked over and returned to microphone back by the kerokeo machine. Nodoka then walked to the back to the end of the stage, by the wall, in the middle of the stage, with her facing the audience.

Nodoka took a few deep breaths, and then let them out. One after another. She then started her kata. Which consisted of doing lots of acrobatics, flips, mid-air kicks, and butterfly kicks. And she always either landed on her feet, or her hands, while displaying much grace and skill in her performance.

After a few minutes she stopped her kata, and turned to face the crowd.

The crowd applauded her.

Nodoka then looked down at the judges, for her score.

Sam gave her a nine.

Pedro gave her a seven.

Lee gave her an eight. He said, “That was petty good. I looking forward to seeing what your sisters can do.”

Nodoka smiled. She then left the stage.

Melvin stated, into his microphone, “Next up is, Mikoto.”

Mikoto same on stage, she wore the same clothing at her sister, Nodoka, wore. Except her clothing was blue, with a few black stripes mixed in, to match her mixed hair color.

Mikoto perform a slow, graceful kata, that was mixed with swift, fluid movements, as she moved across the stage.

When Mikoto finished a few minutes after she began, the audience clapped for a few seconds.

Afterward, Mikoto look down at the judges.

Pedro gave her an eight. He stated, “It is nice when someone respects the basics.”

Lee gave an eight as well. He said, “I am sure that took as much practice to master, as the acrobatics your sister just pulled off. You earned this eight.”

Sam gave her a six. He commented, “I apologize. But, I honestly found the performance to tame for my tastes.”

Mikoto did not respond, as she turned and walked off stage.

Melvin then announced, into his microphone, “Next up, we have Yurika.”

Yurika then walked on stage. Those watching saw that she wore the same style of clothing as her two sisters, except her clothing was green, to match her hair color.

When she made it to the center of the stage, Yurika began her kata. Everyone could see that Yurika's kata was much more aggressive than the katas her two sisters had just performed.

While Nodoka's kata was aerial in nature. And Mikoto's kata was direct in nature. Yurika's kata was focused on lower level combat, as moving around.

Lee could see that Yurika's kata was likely of the same family of the fighting arts as capoeira. With her use of handstands, while kicks, while at the same time focusing on low sweeping kicks, somersaults, flips, side roles and a few cartwheels. This was mixed with leg sweeps, hand strikes. With most of these attacks designed to hit below the waist, and mostly attack the legs.

Lee thought, 'This looks like it is inspired by capoeira. I wonder if Fabiola had a hand in teaching these sisters some of the moves they just displayed for us. Especially, the moves I am seeing Yurika is performing, now. And she is good at it.'

As Yurika continued her kata, everyone could see that her movements were far better organized, and choreographed than Benny's break dancing.

Also, Yurika never lost her balance, nor fell on the floor.

A few minutes later, Yurika came to a slow stop, with her ending with standing on her feet, while she faced the audience.

The audience applauded her for a few more seconds than either of her two sisters got.

As the crowd quieted down, Yurika looked at the judges.

Pedro gave her a seven. He stated, “You, and your two sisters, performed marvelously. And Nodoka was right. It was better for you three to perform, back to back, in that order.”

Yurika responded, “Thank you for letting us do so.”

Pedro replied, “Thank, Lee.”

Yurika turned to Lee, and she saw that he had give her a seven. He said, “Pedro is correct. You three did a great job. And you're welcome.”

Yurika looked over to see Sam gave her a nine. Sam stated, “Your performance proves how proper organization of movements can bring out a good performance. Good job.”

Yurika smiled at all three judges. She then turned and left the stage.

Melvin said, into his microphone, “Our next performer is, Rock.”

Rock walked up on stage, picked up microphone, set the karaoke machine, and walked to the center of the stage.

As the music started, and Rock starting singing the lyrics.

Lee recognized the song as the karaoke version of David Bowie's China Girl.

But, instead of Rock facing the judges and the crowd, shed face her friends. And she was doing a great job of singing the song.

Revy could see that Rock was looking directly at her.

Revy just giggled, at Rock's romantic gesture.

Revy thought, 'It is not every day that someone blows a performance for me. I will have to thank Rock for doing this for me. Tonight, when we got to bed. And I just know how to do it.'

Meanwhile, on stage, as Rock sang, she thought, 'There is no way I am winning this contest. So, I am just going use this opportunity to win points in bed tonight with Revy.'

As the music ended, and Rock finished the song, she turned to the judges, and the crowd.

The crowd clapped, for a few seconds.

Lee gave Rock a six. He firmly said, “We both know who that was for. And I am giving this score for doing such a marvelous job. If you had been singing for us and the crowd, it would have been higher score.”

Pedro also gave Rock a seven. He thought, 'So, this is Rock. The breast reduction in book three did help her over all figure. And she is hot. Still, she was not performing to win, but for romance towards Revy. Too bad I don't officially know they are a couple. Or, I would compliment Rock for her romantic gesture. Still, it is a kind gesture.'

Pedro said, “Good performance. I feel whomever you directed that too will be very happy tonight.”

Rock responded, “That is what I am hoping for.”

Sam gave Rock an eight. He said, “I am a sucker for romantics.”

Rock smiled at the judges, as she thought, 'I got a better score than I was expecting. And I wasn't even trying to win. Nice.'

Rock then turned and walked off stage.

When Rock reached her table, and sat down in her chair, by Revy, Revy turned to her, as she said, “Nice performance. And I promise to give you a performance in bed to night.”

Rock turned to her lover, as she replied, “Thanks, Revy.”

In front of the stage, while facing the judges, and the crowd, Melvin stated, “Our next contestant is, Yolanda.” He mentally added, 'I wonder what we will see her do. That woman was always cagey in Roanapur. Even Balalaika could not figure her out.'

Yolanda got up from her seat, and she walked on stage, to the microphone and karaoke machine.

As Yolanda walked across the stage, everyone saw that Yolanda wore a flattering black dress that looking more like it fit in the nineteen forties. But, she pulled it off well.

After Yolanda walked back to the front of the stage, while facing the crowd, she calmly said, into her microphone, “They say guilt pleasures come in many ways. But, I found this song actually speaks to me.”

The music then start. And Yolanda started singing in spanish, to the lyrics.

Lee recognized the song as being the spanish version of the Ricky Martin song, Livin' the Crazy Life, which was Livin' la Vida Loca.

Lee thought, 'Okay. Her song selection is a bit of a surprise. Though, Yolanda is doing a great job. And given her life, I can see why she feels that particular song speaks to her.'

'And given her skills, and that she had the latin American, Rico, working for her, it is no surprise that she knows spanish, very well. It is too bad I cannot compliment her for her spanish language skills. Given I don't want anyone to know that I can speak spanish.'

Yolanda swayed her body back at forth, with the music as she did a great job singing the song she had chosen to perform.

When Yolanda finished the song, the crowd applauded.

Yolanda still turned to the judges.

Pedro gave her an eight. He complimented, “Your spanish is flawless. And we like to see the use of multiple talents at once. And you did that by using your talents in both your language skills, and singing skills. Also, you swayed with the beat.”

Lee gave her a nine. He stated, “This is what we are looking for. Passion, and talent, in a performance.”

Sam gave her an eight. He commented, “I am with them on this. You did a good job.”

Yolanda smiled at them, as she said, in english, “Thank you.” She then turned to her side, and returned the microphone to it's place.

Yolanda walked off the stage, as she happily thought, 'I still got it.'

Melvin announced, into his microphone, “Next is, Sarah.

Sarah came on stage. Everyone saw that she wore a simple yellow kimono, which matched her blond hair. The kimono, she wore a black sash, and wooden saddles,

Sarah then began silently performing the internal chinese martial art of Qigong

As Lee looked at this, with mild amusement, he thought, 'A modern samurai, reincarnate as the child of a hindi Indian and caucasian American jew, practicing the chinese martial art of Qigong.'

'I can understand why she would know this style. This martial art is all about learning to master ones attention, and personal energy, in direct, fluidic ways. Which is probably very useful in learning how to safely cut bullets in half, in mid-flight, with her katana.'

A few minutes later, Sarah finished her performance.

There were a few claps from the crowd, but not many.

Sarah turned to the judges.

Lee gave her a seven. He said, “That was... Interesting. And I feel you did a good job.”

Sam gave Sarah a seven as well, while he remained silent.

Pedro gave her a six. He commented, “I wanted to like your performance. I really did. But, I just could not bring myself to do so.”

Sarah just shrugged. She then walked off stage.

Melvin stated, into his microphone, “The next contestant is, Yukio.'

Yukio were a yellow long skirt, a yellow midriff shirt, with yellow flat soled slippers.

Yukio retrieved a microphone, set the karaoke machine, and walked to the center of the stage.

As the music started playing, she singing the karaoke version of the song, Why can't we be friends, by the band, War.

And she did a find job doing so, as she swayed with the beat.

After the song ended, there was a moderate amount clapping from the crowd.

As the clapping ended, Yukio turned to the judges.

Lee asked, “Did you do this song on a dare?”

Yukio sheepishly admitted, “Yea.” She mentally added, 'At least I got five dollars out of this, from the bet I made with Rebecca.'

Lee said, “Well, you did a good job.” He then held up his score card, which had a seven on it.

Yukio smiled, as she replied, “Thank you.”

She looked over at Sam and Pedro's score cards. Both silently held up a seven score on their marker boards.

Yukio returned the microphone to where she found it. She then left the stage.

Melvin stated, into his microphone, “Next up, is Molly.”

As Molly walked on stage, everyone saw she wore a short black shirt, a yellow short sleeved button up blouse, and black flat soled slippers. The outfit went well with her blond hair.

After retrieving a wireless microphone, setting the karaoke machine, and walk back to the stage, Molly look out among the crowd, as she thought, 'While stroking one's ego is fun. At least one of us should still be focusing on catching the writer. This might actually flush him out.'

Molly stated, into the microphone, “I found out about this song, from reading a story. It is one of my favorite song. And I hope you enjoy it.”

As the first few cords started playing, Lee realized what Molly meant, and what she was trying to do. He maintain a calm expression, as he thought, 'Now, that is nice try to flush me out, Molly. But, it won't work.'

To Lee's right, Pedro remained calm as well, as he thought, 'So, this is Molly. She is clearly very intelligent, by trying to use this song to flush

Molly then started singing the lyrics to karaoke version of the song, Bad Company, by the band, using the version performed by Five Finger Death Punch.

Molly sung the song well, and as she did so, she looked around the crowd, and the judges for any signs that one among them was the writer. But, no one was taking the bait.

As finished the song, with the music ending, she thought, 'Oh well. It was worth a try. I wonder what my scores will be.'

The audience clapped for a few seconds.

Molly looked at the judges, to see their scores.

Lee gave her a seven. He casually commented, “Nice song.” He thought, 'And nice try, baiting me. But, something that simple is not going to work on me.'

Pedro gave her eight. He complimented, “You nailed the song.”

Sam silently gave her a seven.

Molly then returned her microphone to the corner, and she then left the stage.

As Molly exited the stage, and returned to her friends, Molly saw her mother, Janet looking at her, while smiling. With Molly walked close to her mother, Janet complimented her, “Nice try, honey.”

Molly just smiled towards Janet, as she returned to her chair.

Melvin said, into his microphone, “The next contestant is, Violin.”

While Violin walked onto the stage, the crowd saw that she was carrying a flute in her right hand.

Violin wore a dark blue long skirt, which matched her hair color. She also wore a white, short sleeved blouse, and white flat soled slippers.

She walked over, and picked up the stand from the corner, with the microphone attached to it. She then head to the center of the stage.

After placing the stand in front of her, she held the flute to her mouth. She pleasantly thought, 'I am so happy that my parents, in my second childhood, had me take music lessons. And since I remember my past life, I now understand why I like this song so much. Besides, I am sure Lee will appreciate it.'

Violin then began playing a song by flute, while occasionally marching in place.

Lee muttered, “I don't believe she is playing that.”

Pedro just snorted, as he held back a chuckle. He thought, 'Not bad, Violin.'

Sam turned to Lee, as he softly asked, “What is she playing?”

Lees turned to Sam, as he whispered one word, “Dixie.”

Lee and Sam then turned back to the stage, to watch Violin's performance.

Violin rendition of Dixie by flute, was flawless. She did not miss a note, nor beat, in neither her flute performance, nor steps.

A few minutes later, a Violin was finished playing, Dixie, the crowd clapped for a several seconds.

Lee gave her a nine. He stated, “You know me to well, Violin.”

Lee thought, 'But, only Harvey knows I am the writer. And he clearly has not told you. Because, I am still feel. And this ten will help continue his silence on my behalf. Because, you earned this nine.'

Lee continued, “And that was an excellent rendition of Dixie. You earned this ten.”

Pedro continued looking at Violin, as he thought, 'Lee is probably joking. I hope.'

In response, Violin smiled. But, inside her head, Harvey was laughing.

Violin mentally asked, in a calm manner, 'What is so funny?'

Harvey mentally responded, 'I was just thinking about Lee's comment, and your cultural connections with him.'

Violin mentally conceded, 'Yes. We got a few.'

Pedro gave her a seven, as he said, “You're flute work was good. And your steps were good. But, I feel you could have done better.”

Sam gave Violin a six, as he stated, “Pedro is correct. While you flute skills are flawless, I am sure you could have done better.”

Violin conceded, “You both might be right.” She then returned the stand where she found it, and left the stage.

Melvin stated, “Next up is Revy.”

Revy came onto the stage. As she walked to to the karaoke machine, everyone saw that she was walking barefoot, while wearing a red bikini bottom, with a matching red tank top, with a red sports bra underneath. All the red clothing matched her dark red hair.

While Pedro looked at Revy, he thought, 'So, this is Revy. Given she much smaller than me, I might actually underestimate her, if I did not know better. But, I do know better. And like the rest of the women in this contest, I do not want to get on her bad side. And from the looking of her clothing, it appears that she is going to do something athletic. I look forward to finding out what it is.'

A few seconds after Revy made it back to the center stage, some pleasant techno music that had a fast beat to it, but light on the bass, began playing.

Revy displayed her gymnastics skills, with several flips, back flips, cartwheels, and somersaults. All the while, she never lost her footing, as she showed intense passion in her actions.

As the music stopped, Revy finished her routine by landing on her feet, while facing the audience. The audience applauded her for several seconds.

As the audience quieted down, Revy looked down at the judges.

Lee gave Revy a nine. He stated, “Revy, I feel that you put your all into that. You earned this nine.”

Revy smile at Lee's comment, and the score he gave her. She thought, 'I appreciate that he realizes the effort that went into that.'

Revy then saw that Sam gave her a seven. He said, “I disagree with my friend, Lee here. Like Benny, you have the talent, but you did not coordinate your moves in the proper order. You could have done better.”

Revy did not respond to Sam's comments.

Revy turned to Pedro, to see that he gave her an eight. He commented, “I was happy with what I saw.”

Pedro thought, 'And it is a fair score, like all the others I have given. I am not going to get on their sides, by either giving them a low score, or giving them to high a score, that will upset the other women in the contest.'

Revy thought, 'Oh well. All in all, this is a fair score.'

Revy turned to her right, and walked off stage.

A moment later, Melvin announced, “Our next contestant is, Aeryn.”

Aeryn walked on stage, while displaying graced in her stride. Everyone saw that she was wearing a black evening gown, with black soled slippers.

She retrieved a microphone, set the karaoke machine, and walked to the center stage.

But, as the music started, just like Rock, Aeryn faced her friends. She looked over at Violin, as she began singing the Pet Shop Boys version of David Bowie's song, Hallo Spaceboy.

Violin looked back at Aeryn, as she looked back at her wife.

Violin giggled at Aeryn's romantic gesture.

Aeryn did a good job, but it was not a great performance.

As the music ended, there was clapping from the crowd for a few seconds, then silence.

Aeryn looked over at the judges.

Lee gave her a seven. He stated, “Like Rock, you have interesting flirting skills.”

Aeryn giggled in response.

Pedro gave her a seven as well, while he remained silent.

Sam gave Aeryn a six. He said, “I am sorely disappointed in you, Aeryn. I was expecting so much more.”

Aeryn remained silent, as she returned the microphone from where she found it, and the walked off stage.

Aeryn soon reached her table, where Violin was sitting by her open chair.

After she sat down, she turned to Violin, as she smile wickedly. She said, “I believe that Rock has the right idea. And I expect to have a return tonight for that performance.”

Violin was looking back at Aeryn, as she returned her wife's smile. She replied, “Oh, you shall have that Aeryn. That and more.”

Aeryn giggled, as she continued to smile wickedly.

Melvin then announced, “Next up is, Sawyer.”

As Sawyer walked on stage everyone saw that she was wearing a white evening gown, and a pair of white, flat soled slippers. Which was in stark contrast to her usual purple and black goth clothing.

Lee thought, 'Sawyer wearing that is a statement in of itself. What is she planning to do?'

Sawyer walked over the karaoke machine, and set the song she wanted to sing. She then walked back to the center of the stage, with a microphone in her hands.

A few seconds later, the music started, and Frederica Sawyer. began singing, the classic version of Amazing Grace. And she was doing a near perfect rendition of the song, as she displayed her restored voice, and the voice talents she learned. She also swayed her body to the beat of the music.

Lee thought, 'She is good. I am so happy I fixed her voice, and gave her singing skills. Having done so might someday save my hide from the business end of her chainsaw.'

Meanwhile, Pedro thought, 'How the hell can the career woman of chainsaw wielding maniacs have the voice of an angel?... Oh yea. Lee, and his clear insanity. Still, it is wrong on so many levels. Though, I am not here to judge the morality of her previous actions. But instead, I am judging her current talents. And her singing is incredible.'

Sam was moved to tears, as he watched Sawyer's performance.

As the song ended, the audience gave her a standing ovation for several seconds.

While the audience calmed down, Sawyer looked at the judges.

Lee held up a nine, as he stated, “Flawless. Absolutely, flawless.”

Pedro held up a nine. He said, “If you ever want to sing professionally, please let me know. I will buy a ticket to see you perform.”

Sam held up a nine. He commented, “I feel that if you swayed a little more with the song, you would have likely gotten tens from all of us. Other than that, your preference was perfect.'

Sawyer grinned ear to ear, with a genuine, none sadist, happy smile. She walked over to returned her microphone, at where she found it.

As Sawyer left the stage, she thought, 'I have to thank the writer for this wonderful voice, and singing talent. On another matter, I will be nice to Lee, because the way Lee figured up the scoring has given me a real chance to win this contest. That score is going to be hard to beat. I will either be in first place, or a very close second.'

A few seconds later, Sawyer turned to her seat, at a table, by her friends.

Meanwhile, Melvin looked at his list of contestants in his left hand.

Melvin thought, 'There is not many contestants left. We might still get out of this mess, alive, and intact. Though, could use a bit of refreshment.'

Melvin pocket the piece of paper with the list on it. Next, he walked to the table by the judges. He used his left hand to pick up his glass of lemonade. He took a sip of it, to wet his throat. After which, he e gently set his glass back down on the table.

With Melvin's throat now back to no longer being dry, Melvin turned to the audience, as he stated, into the microphone in his right hand, “Our next contestant is, Lotton.”

Lotton got up from her seat, and walked on stage, and everyone saw that she were a white sundress, and white flat soled slippers, both of which matched her white hair color.

After retrieving a microphone, she walked to the center of the stage.

Lotton stated, “For my talent, I am going to recite a poem from memory. The poem is Edgar Allan Poe's, A Dream Within A Dream.”

Lotton then recited the entire poem.

Lee thought, 'I remember reading this poem in the time loop. Though, I don't remember all of it. Still, she is doing a good job of speaking it.'

Lotton finished reciting the poem in just under two minutes.

After Lotton finished, there was a few claps, but not many. She thought, 'Tough crowd.'

Lotton then looked down at judged.

Lee held up a seven. He said, “That was different. But good. And the fact you did this from memory shows you have talent.”

Pedro held up a seven as well. He said, “It is sometimes good to do something different. It changes up things.”

Sam then held up a nine. He commented, “You spoke the stanza and quatrain well.
The meter of your wording was properly time. And you did all this from memory. Though, you did not move around, I think you deserve this nine.”

After Lee wrote down Sam's score on his piece of paper, Lee turned to Sam. He thought, 'So, Sam knows poetry. Interesting. But, that is a question for another time.'

Lee then turned back to look at the stage, as he wait for the next contestant to be announced.

Lotton smiled, as she thought, 'Tough crowd, but nice judges.' She then returned the microphone from where she found it. Next, she calmly walked off stage.

A few seconds later, Lotton reached the table she share with Sawyer, and Shenhua.

As she sat down, Shenhua said, “Given what I know of you, I really shouldn't be surprised by your poetry skills. And it was interesting to listen to.”

Sawyer commented, “Good job.”

Lotton turned to her two lovers, as she said, “Thanks, to the both of you.”

Shenhua and Sawyer smiled, in response to Lotton's comment.

(_)

At that moment, in the front lobby of the Devil's Hotel, two individuals walked inside. As they did so, the music in the lobby changed to the song, Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood, played by Santa Esmeralda, from the soundtrack of the Kill Bill Volume One movie.

The two individuals walked up to the front desk.

One of them asked the clerks, in english, “Which way to the hotel restaurant?”

One of the clerk answered, in english, “Go to the left hallway. The door to the restaurant is just inside the hallway, to you right, on the far wall. You cannot miss it.”

The person, whom asked the question, replied, “Thank you.”

The two individuals then turned to their left, as they headed for the Devil's Hotel restaurant and bar.

(_)

Meanwhile, inside the restaurant, on stage, Melvin announced, “Next up, is Janet.”

Janet walked out onto the stage, wearing a nice yellow short skirt, and midriff shirt. As she did so, everyone saw that she carried a clipboard, with a few pieces of paper, and a pencil on it.

When she got to the center stage, she looking down at the judges. She said, “For my talent, I would like to draw you three. It will only take a few minutes. Though, I do need to not move for a few minutes.”

Pedro replied, “Okay.”

Lee said, with honest curiosity, “I would like to see what you can do.”

Sam stated, “Let us see what you can do.”

The three judges then relaxed, as they remained still, for the artist in front of them.

Janet pulled out the pencil from the clip board, and she swiftly began to draw.

Roughly three minutes later, she finished her drawing, as she placed her pencil back on her clip board.

Janet stated, “I am done.”

While there was no real applause, that didn't matter to Janet. It was the judges scores that mattered to her.

Meanwhile, the three judges relaxed, and stretched a little bit, while still in their seats.

Janet requested, “Melvin, could you pass this to the judges.” She then lean over and handed Melvin the clipboard.

Melvin took the clipboard in his left hand. He then handed the clipboard to Pedro.

The judges passed the clipboard around, as they saw the picture Janet drew of the three of them.

The picture was a good, hand drawn, lifelike representation of the three of them.

Sam then handed the clipboard back to Melvin, whom handed the clipboard back to Janet.

After Janet took the clipboard, she leaned back up, while she still looked back down at the judges.

A few seconds later, Lee gave her a nine. He stated, “Your speed and skill are impressive.” He thought, with mild delight, 'From counterfeiter to artist. That is a nice change of hobbies.'

Pedro gave her an eight. He said, “I am with Lee on this. Your skills with a piece of paper are impressive.”

Lee continued looking at Janet, while having a pleasant expression on his face. But, inwardly he frowned, a he thought, 'Pedro. I hope you did not just drop an injoke over Janet's counterfeiting skills. Still, if I look at Pedro, or change my expression, that will tip Janet off that I am the writer.'

Janet look at Pedro for a few seconds. She thought, 'Did he just make a subtle comment on my counterfeiting skills?... Nah.'

Sam gave then Janet an eight. He commented, “I am with these two, on this. You have real skill as an artist. I hope to see some more of your artistic works in the future.”

Janet grinned, as she said, “Thank you. All of you.”

While Janet walked off stage, with her items in her hands, she thought, 'I may not win. But, that was an impressive score.'

Just as Melvin was about to announce the next contestant, everyone heard a female voice yell, in english, from the entrance of the hotel restaurant, opposite to the stage, “Is this contest open to all hot women?!”

All eyes turned to look at where the voice came from.

As Melvin, Lee, and Pedro, turned to look at who it was, they remained calm, while they recognized not one, but two women they knew of.

Standing at the entrance was River and beside her, to her right side, leaning against the door frame, was Daiyu. Chang in her female form.

They saw that River had dyed her long, natural brown hair, back to red. With her hair draped loose, down her back. River was wearing red pants, red belt, a white t-shirt, over a red leather jacket, with red cowgirl boots. The boots zipper up from the interior sides of the boots. Also, her clothing match the same color as her long red hair.

Daiyu wore a black cloth pants, black belt, a white short sleeved blouse, and black flat soled slippers. Daiyu's black hair when down to her neck line.

In response to seeing, and recognizing, River, the super-genius telepath, Melvin, Lee, and Pedro, immediately cleared their minds. The three men each knew that to even worry about River being there, would get her attention. So all three kept their minds clear, and they played the situation by ear.

Meanwhile, Sam frowned, as he looked at the two women. A second later, he relaxed his expression.

Sam said, “If you two want to join. That is fine. Just state your names, and if you are going to do a talent, or a song. Then, join with the other women of the group. We will just put you two at the last of the group.”

Daiyu leaned up off the door frame, as she said, in english, “I am Daiyu. I will be singing a song.”

River stated, in english, “I am River. I am doing a talent. And I will be going after Daiyu.”

Sam stated, “Fine. Daiyu will go second to last. And you, River, will go last.”

(_)

Across the room, at the doorway, Daiyu thought, 'What is his problem? Still...' She said, “That works for me.”

River looked at Sam, as she cracked a grin. She stated, “That will be fine.”

Both women then walked across the room, as they joined with the other contestants.

As River and Daiyu made their way over to Revy and Rock's group, Daiyu thought, 'I am happy you suggested we wear these outfits today.'

River quietly said, “You're welcome.”

(_)

Meanwhile, across the room, to the left of the stage, Eda then stood up. She turned to the judges, as she requested, “If you judges don't mind. I would like to remain last in this contest. I want to see what they do, first.”

The three judges, along with the announcer, turned to Eda.

Lee replied, “I think I speak for all the judges, when we say, that is fine with us.”

Eda saw Sam, Pedro, and Melvin all nodded in agree.

Eda said, “Thank you.” She then sat down.

(_)

At the judges table, Sam looked back at Melvin as he stated, “All right. Let's continued this, shall we.”

Melvin nodded, as he stated, into his microphone, “Okay, everyone. Our next contestant is, Rebecca.”

Rebecca then walked on stage.

Everyone saw she wore tasteful red denim shorts, and a red crop top, with a red sports bra underneath. The red clothing matched her hair color. Also, she was barefoot, like Revy had been on stage.

Rebecca then began to show off her natural acrobatic skills, which she inherited from Revy, and whom Revy taught her how to refine her ability and skill.

Though, unlike Revy, Rebecca clearly had a choreographed routine, with flips, back-flips, cartwheels, and somersaults.

Meanwhile, from the corner of his left eye, Lee saw that the women made room for Daiyu and River, by Rock and Revy.

Though, given that River was a telepath, Lee knew he had to keep his mind clear. So, he turned his attention back on the Rebecca, whom was on still performing on stage.

(_)

A few seconds later, the two newcomers sat down in chairs, at a table, left of the stage.

Daiyu and River sat down between Rock and Revy. With Daiyu to Revy's left side. River was to Daiyu's left side. And Rock was to River's left side.

Rock turned to the Daiyu and River, as she softly demanded, “What are you two doing here?”

Daiyu turned to Rock, as she smirked. She said, “Rock, you should know by now that you cannot keep secrets from us.”

Revy turned to Diayu and River. She realized, as she guessed, “We told, Sis. And Balalaika told you about the stories, and our hunt for the writer?”

Daiyu looked over at Revy, as she answered, in a casual tone of voice, “Yes, Revy. The conversation came up while we were having a party at the Lowe family's house. Just her, me, River, B, the Serenity crew, the Lowe family, and the Bebop crew. And girl, we were all interested when we found out about the stories. We just had to do something, so I offered up a plan, and here we are. To see how your search is going, while we look into our own plans.”

Rock asked, “Who else knows? Do the maids, or Garcia, know?”

Daiyu turned to Rock, as she stated, “We have not told them. And given this city is still standing, I am guessing the maids do not know. We do not want to start a war, which is what would happen if the maid knew.”

Rock inquired, “So, what are you planning? You don't sound like you are after the writer.”

Daiyu said, “That is because we are not after the writer. We have other plans for this city. Plans I am more than happy to include you in. Plans that even Balalaika, and everyone else, I have included, have liked. But, that is a conversation for another time, in private.”

Revy stated, “Well, we are more than happy to hear you out, but first we need to find the writer.” She then turned to River, as she continued,“And River here can make the search go real quick. If you tell us who the writer is, River. I am sure he is in this room. The writer could not help himself, but to watch this contest. And once we have him, then we can move onto Chang's plan.”

River looked at Revy, as she smirked. She casually said, “Where is the fun in that, Revy?”

Daiyu stated, “Revy, don't bother trying to get the information from her. When she is like this, it is impossible to get anything from her.”

Revy thought, 'River is one of the few people that can take me in a fight.'

River complimented, “Thank you for your vote of confidence, Revy.”

Revy thought, 'Stop reading my mind, bitch.'

River giggled a little, from Revy's thoughts towards her.

Rock asked, “So, are you staying here, in the hotel?”

Daiyu answered, “No. We are staying at the hotel, on the other side of the island. It is all part of my plans.”

Rock said, “I look forward to hearing your plans, later.”

The women then heard clapping from the crowd, across the room from them.

The women turned their attention back to the stage, to see that Rebecca had finished her performance.

Rock sarcastically thought, with annoyance, 'Great. I missed my daughter's performance, because of these two.'

River said, “Sorry, about that.”

Rock just rolled her eyes, in annoyance, for a few seconds. She then, turned her attention to the judges, as they scored one of her daughters.

(_)

On staged, as Rebecca looked down at the judges, she saw that Lee has given her an eight. He stated, “That was good. And well put together.”

Sam gave her a nine. He said, “I could tell that your moves were properly choreographed. Well done.”

Pedro gave her an eight. He stated, “You have talent. And you earned this eight.”

Rebecca smiled, as she turned, and left the stage.

Melvin pulled out his list, from a coat pocket, with his left hand. He looked at his piece of paper. He saw Eda was the next, and last contestant. But, he then remembered Daiyu and River, and what order all three of them wanted to to in.

Melvin pocketed the piece of paper, as he stated, into his microphone, which was in his right hand, “Next up is, Daiyu.”

Daiyu calmly walked on stage with the commanding presence that those whom know her had come to respect.

After retrieving a microphone, and setting the karaoke machine, she returned to the center of the stage.

As the music started, Daiyu began singing to the karaoke version of Billy Joel's song, We Didn't Start The Fire. And she was doing a great job of it. Along, with this, Daiyu swayed her body with the beat.

To many in at the judges table, along Melvin, Chang ability to not miss, nor mispronounce, a lyric, while keeping in sync with the music, was impressive.

A little over four and a half minutes later, the song ending, and the audience applauded for several seconds.

As the clapping died down, Daiyu looked own at the judges, for their scores.

Lee gave her a nine. He stated, “That song if very difficult to sing. And you sung it well. You impressed me. You deserve this nine.”

Pedro gave her a nine. He commented, “I agree.”

Then, she looked to see that Sam gave her a six, while remaining silent.

Pedro, Lee, and Melvin did not react, nor even think about Sam's score, given the telepath, River, was nearby.

Daiyu's face remained unreadable to the judges, as she turned, and left the stage.

While Daiyu walked off stage, she calmly thought, 'Two out of three is not bad. But, I wonder what it is with that bearded judge, with the ponytail. I guess he just don't like latecomers. I can appreciate that. At least, he did not give me a one.'

After Daiyu left the stage, Melvin did not wait for her to return to her table. He wanted this contest over, as quickly as possible, for very good reasons. So instead, Melvin turned to the audience, as he announced, into his microphone, “And next up is, River.”

River got up from her table, walked to the stage. She passed by Daiyu, with the black haired woman sitting back into her seat, as River made it to the stage.

As River walked onto the stage, everyone saw that she was carrying two batons, together, in her right hand.

Given the situation, the judges, nor Melvin even thought about where she had them on her body.

When River reached the center stage, she came to a stop. She turned to the judges, as she asked, in a casual, relax tone of voice, “It is all right if my talent was fire dancing?”

As the judges looked up at her, Sam raised an eyebrow. Sam stated, “There is a no weapons rule in this contest.”

River just looked at Sam, as she raised an eyebrow, as well. A few seconds later, she replied, “But, these are not weapons.”

Sam calmly pointed out, “Though, they are dangerous. I will have to ask the other judges, and the bartender, of this restaurant. If they will allow the use of them.” He then turned to the other judges, and Melvin.

Sam saw that the three other men looking back at Sam.

Lee turned to Melvin, as he stated, “Melvin, this is your bar. This is not my call. Though, I will support your decision.”

Pedro and Sam also turned to Melvin, as Pedro said, “As long as we are careful. I don't mind.”

Melvin looked over at River. He then turned to look at the three judges.

Melvin commented, “We can allow this. But, as Pedro said, we have to be careful. First, the fire might set off the sprinkler system. I can shut off this section of the sprinkler system, for this room, from behind the bar counter. I will just turned it back on, later. Though, I need to get a couple of fire extinguishers, from the kitchen. Just in case.”

Pedro responded, “Good idea.”

Melvin looked at the audience, as he said, into his microphone, “Ladies and gentlemen, we will only need a minute of you time, to prepare for the next performance.”

(_)

A minutes later, the sprinkler system to the room was shut off. There was a large, portable fire extinguisher set by Sam's seat, on the outside of the table.

Melvin had another large, portable fire extinguisher in his left hand, as he held his microphone in his right hand.

Melvin turned to the audience, as he said, into his microphone, “Okay, ladies and gentlemen. We are ready to continue the show.”

Melvin then set his microphone down on the judges' table, as he held up the nozzle of the large, portable fire extinguisher in his right hand. He aimed the nozzle at the stage, towards River. Just in case he had to act in an instant, if things went wrong.

With the batons still in her right hand, River then walked over to the karaoke machine and set the machine to the song she wanted.

Next, River walked walked back to the center of the stage, as she faced the judges, and crowd.

After which, River used her left hand to pull out a nice lighter from one of her left side pants pocket. As she held both batons by the middle, with her right hand, she lit one end of both of the batons.

River swiftly pocketed her lighter, where she had it before, and separate the batons, so one was held in the middle, by each of her hands.

River used the lit ends of her batons to light the other ends of her batons.

River finished her preparations, just as the song began to play.

The song was not a karaoke version, but an actual song with lyrics. The song was the theme song from the nineteen eighty-five, american movie, Berry Gordy's The Last Dragon.

River then began her dance routine, while twirling around her fire sticks.

Lee thought, 'Interesting musical selection.' He then realized he was thinking. And he cleared his mind.

As the song began to quicken its pace, River began to be more aggressive in her dance routine.

While River used her twirled her batons, without harming herself, she began flipping, and back-flipping, as she danced with the music. Yet, she also landed solidly on her feet, without losing control of her baton.

At the same time, River was able continue dancing with the beat of the song.

As this went on, nearly everyone, including the judges, and Melvin, could tell that her moves were very well organization and choreographed.

River continued this dance for the full seven minutes and twenty six seconds of the song.

Just as the song was about to end, River did a flip forward, and landed facing the judges, and audience. As she landed, she bowed to them, just as the song ended, with her arms extended away from her, to prevent from burning herself on her two fire-sticks.

The audience went wild, as they gave her a standing ovation, for several seconds.

River walked over close to the edge of the stage, to where Melvin was standing at. She held out her hands, with the fire batons away from her, and over the edge of the stage, for Melvin to deal with.

Melvin used two quick bursts from his fire extinguisher, to put out all four ends of River's batons that were on fire.

River turned to Melvin, as she said, “Thanks.”

Melvin looked back at her, as he replied, “You're welcome.” He then set his fire extinguisher onto the floor, by the stage wall.

River then put back batons back into her right hand, as she turned to look at how the judges scored her performance.

As the crowd slowly died down, she saw that Lee had given her a nine.

Lee stated, “That was a great performance. I never thought I would even get to see that in person, in my life. I am glad I did.”

Pedro gave her a nine, as well. He said, “I agree. This was expertly achieved.”

River looked over at Sam, to see the bearded man had given her a six. Though, Sam did not say a work to her, as he just looked at her.

River frowned at Sam, but Sam does not even flinch.

Just as with Daiyu's performance, Lee, Pedro, and Melvin ignored Sam's score, given they were in the presence of a telepath.

As second later, River turned to her right, and walked off stage, with her batons in her right hand.

A few seconds later, River returned to the table she shared with Daiyu, Rock, and Revy.

After River sat down in her chair, at a nearby table, Dutch turned to look at River. She complimented, “You never fell to impress, River.”

River looked over at Dutch, as she replied, “Thank you, Dutch.”

(_)

Meanwhile, between the front of the stage, and the judge's table, Melvin picked up his microphone, with his right hand, off the judges' table.

Melvin then walked over to behind the bar counter. Next, he turned the fire sprinklers back on, while he announced, into his wireless microphone, “And here is our last contestant, Eda.”

Eda got up from the chair she was sitting at, around her friends. She then walked towards the stage.

As Eda walked towards the stage, Melvin returned to the front of the stage, between the stage, and the judges' table.

After Eda made her way on stage, everyone saw she was wearing a white, flowing evening gown, that was had only shoulder straps, and slits on the sides of her skirt to allow her movement. The gown showed off her shoulders, and the blue encircled cross tattoo on her right forearm. She also wore white slippers.

Eda left her long blond hair loose, to fall down her back.

As Eda walked across the stage, she thought, 'Given what I am wearing, plus what I am going to do, I should win this. I am wearing a nice strapless white bra, with Yolanda helping me with my hair. I am going to take these judges for all their wore.'

'And this will not be a repeat of the bikini contest. This is the reason I am after the writer in the first place. And I do have one other thing going for me. I did sleep with one of the judges. Though, I am not sure if Lee will give me points for just that. He seems to have a bit of integrity, and we both agreed it was one night stand.'

After she walked karaoke machine, she picked up one of the wireless microphone, while she found the karaoke version of the song she wanted to sing.

As she set it, she use the ten seconds, before the song started, to walk with graced across the stage, to the center of the stage, as she face the judges.

Eda happily thought, 'I must have song this sing in the shower countless times. And I know it by heart.'

Then, the karaoke version of Bonnie Tyler's song, Holding Out For A Hero, began playing.

And without missing a beat, Eda starting sing the lyrics on time, and in tune with the song.

As Eda did so, she moved around, by slightly dancing, and displaying her abilities as a former cheerleader, with her foot movements always in step with the beat of the song.

Within a minute of the song everyone was entranced by Eda's performance.

And while the judges were able to maintain neutral expressions, to her right, at the tables to the left of the stage, the other women in her group were left speechless at her performance.

Some of the women even had their jaws hanging in awe. Such as Sawyer.

(_)

At the tables to the back left side of the room, Sawyer watched Eda, as she thought, 'Damn. I did not know that Eda was this good at singing and dancing. I might want to ask her if she is interested in doing a few trio songs with Ranma and I. We could do sing some great songs, together. As we danced.'

(_)

Meanwhile, at the judges table, Pedro was so charmed about Eda's performance. That he forgot about River, as he thought, 'Eda is good. Also, it is strange that the first time I walked into the Devil's Hotel lobby, it was the Holding Out For A Hero song that started playing for me. Also, I will say that Eda's customers service at that food truck is a lot better than she was the Ripoff Church. And Lee was correct, in that customer service does matter.'

Pedro then remembered who was else in the room, as he immediately cleared his mind.

When the song reached it's climax, Eda skillfully knelt down on her left leg, as both her movements and voice did not miss a beat.

Eda then seamlessly jumped back up to her feet, while remaining in tune with the song.

As her feet hit the stage floor, the music made its famous clash sound.

Eda then continued to perfectly perform the rest of the song.

As the song ended, Eda only gave an innocent smile, outwardly, while she inward smirked, as she thought, 'Always play to the judges, and the crowd. That is how one wins.'

The crowd, including her friends, gave Eda a standing ovation, for several seconds. Only the judges did not stand up to applauded Eda.

As the crowd calmed down and sat back down, Eda looking down at the judges.

Eda was still smiling, as she watched while Sam held up his score board, that stated, ten.

A second later, she saw Pedro also hold his score board, which stated ten.

Then, Lee held up his score board, and there was a nine on it.

Eda continued to smile. Though, she did look at Lee, which an unspoken question.

Lee could guess the question, as he calmly stated, “I slept with you, Eda. I could not give you a perfect score. Other people might questioned that score. But, you nailed the performance, perfectly. I can already tell you. Congratulations, Eda. You won this talent contest.”

Eda's grin became even wider, as she said, “Thanks.”

Melvin stated, into his microphone, “You heard it right here folks! The winner of the contest is, Eda!”

The crowd gave Eda another applause, as she walked off the stage, and back to her friend.

When Eda reached her friends, Rock was the first to speak, as she complimented, “You did good, Eda.”

Revy agreed, “Yea. You were great.”

Sawyer complimented, “Now, that is how to end a talent contest.”

There were other compliments from the women sitting at the tables, nearby.

When the women were finished complimenting her, Eda though, 'Given their kindness, it is best not to rub this win in their faces. It would just ruin the mood.'

Eda looked around at her friends, as she said, “Thank you, guys.”

Eda then looked over at River, whom she saw was smiling towards her.

River complimented, “Good move.”

Eda nodded once towards River, as she thought, 'Thank you.'

In response, River simply returned Eda's nod.

Eda thought, 'I will collect my beer, later. I just feel to good about winning to go ask for it now.'

The women then began talking amongst themselves, with the audience already getting up, and leaving the room.

For while the audience enjoyed the show, they all knew how dangerous those women were. Especially, when the women in question celebrated. And none of the audience wanted to be around them, given the women presently had plenty of reasons now to celebrate.

(_)

Meanwhile, across the room, at the judges' table, the judges had just got up from their seats.

Lee looked around, he saw that the audience was leaving. He thought, 'they got the right idea.'

Lee turned to Sam, Melvin, and Pedro, as he softly recommended, “Gentlemen, I suggest we take our leave, while we still can. And talk in the front lobby.”

Pedro, Sam, and Melvin, turned to look at Lee.

Pedro said, “Agreed.”

Sam snorted, as he replied, “Why not?”

Melvin commented, “Best statement I have heard all night.”

Melvin then set his microphone onto the judges table. He thought, 'I will clean up after the girls leave. I will just be happy to be breathing, as I leave this room for now. And I can give Eda her reward, later, as well.'

The four men then joined the audience, as they started walking towards the double doors that lead to the hotel hallway, and away from the contestants of the contest.

(_)

Nearby, at the tables to the back left side of the room, near the stage, Daiyu was sitting her in chair, as she watched as Melvin, Lee, Sam, and Pedro get up, and calming walk out of the hotel restaurant, and into the hallway, with the audience.

Daiyu thought, 'I guess my friends have been here long enough, that everyone knows to avoid them. Still, I wonder why the announcer and three judges seem to be in more of a rush to leave, then the rest of the people here?'

River was sitting next to Daiyu. River leaned over, and softly whispered into Chang's ear, “Those four are more intelligent than they appear.” She then leaned back up in her chair.

Daiyu continued to look at the four men, from across the room, as they finally exited out the door. She thought, 'Then, we will have to watch them, closely.'

River quietly said, “Exactly.”

(_)

After the four men made it to the middle area of the front lobby, they came to a stop, as they looked at each other.

Melvin turned to the three other men, while he said, “Good night. I am going to go to my room, and stay there for the rest of the night. I suggest you three do the same.”

Lee said, “Oh. I agree. I have the same idea. And no one say anything to jinx our getting out of that situation with our skins intact.”

Sam responded, “I would not be one to do so.”

Melvin did not respond, as he turned, and walked towards the elevator bay, as he headed for his suite, for the night.

Pedro turned to Sam, as he requested, “Can I speak to Lee for a moment, in private?”

Sam said, “Sure.” Sam then walked away, close to the check in desk.

Pedro watched Sam walk away. When Sam out of earshot, Pedro turned to Lee, as he whispered, “Given River and Chang are here, in the building with us, how screwed are we?”

Lee quietly responded, “It depends. Did you clear you mind the moment you saw River?”

Pedro softly replied, “Of course.”

Lee whispered, “I did the same. Melvin and Sam do not know enough to get us into trouble. So, as I say, we are fine, for at the moment.”

Pedro quietly pointed out, “But, what if those two decide to check into the hotel. You cannot keep a clear head all the time. You have to think to continue this act you have going.”

Lee softly admitted, “I know. But, I don't think I have to worry. Because, I believe that is not the case. Chang always. Always. Kept Revy and the others at a distance from himself. Well, herself, at the moment. And since River is a telepath, she would keep her distance for the other women, as well. Yes. She is crazy. But, she does not like reading the minds of other crazy people.”

“And both of them like playing head games with people. With luck, they probably just stopped by to say hi to Revy Rock, and the others. Have some fun. Like what we saw on stage, a few minutes ago. With the two of them being gone by morning. If not. They are likely going to stay at the other nice hotel in town, on the other side of the city. So, we are good, either way.”

Pedro whispered, “I would not say our situation is good. But, our odds do increase, as long as we are away from those two.”

Lee quietly responded, “Trust me. I know better than to be anywhere near those two. Though, if they do stay at the hotel, I will leave a message with you, at the police station, saying, a river runs through it. Just like the title of that film.”

“That means they are staying at the hotel. And I am gone right after I leave the message. If I do not leave you a message, then everything is fine, or they have already caught me. Either way, it is no longer your concern.”

Pedro softly inquired, “Okay. Also, what is up with River's red hair color? Her natural color is brown.”

Lee quietly said, “I gave her the option of dyeing her hair red in the stories. I had her go back to brown. With her occasionally alternating. This was to show she was changing for the better.”

Pedro softly commented, “Oh yea. I remember now. This was done to show she is not a crazy as she once was.”

Lee softly stated, “Exactly. At this point, decades later, she is likely saner than Revy, and more of her crew. Though, her red hair further confirms this is the River that I wrote about. And we know that this is River, and by extension, Chang, from after book four.”

“Because, they regularly talked to the others. They would not keep my stories, secret for long. So, they likely only recently heard about it. And after all the time, River might be actually saner than even I may suspect.”

Pedro quietly replied, “Now, that I think about that. I find that actually comforting. It means she is likely not after you blood.”

Lee softly commented, “I hope she is not after me. It is all over if she is. Though, I doubt it. If she was. Even with keeping our minds clear. Thoughts slip out, and she likely had me. And I would be likely captured, right now.”

“So, I am thinking that, given she and Chang both are a bit mischievous. They are here just have some fun with their friends. They are likely not our enemies, at the moment. They are just here to stir the pot a little. And have a little fun. For them, catching me would only be a bonus.”

Pedro quietly agreed, “I can see that. But, why does River have her hair dyed right now, instead of having it the nature brown?”

Lee softly stated, “As to why her hair is red now, is anyone's guess. It is likely just her preference, right now. It is not like either of us can just go up to her, and ask her why she decided to dye her hair, before she came here.”

Pedro quietly responded, “Good point. Also, I will start asking around for information on Chang, the alias Daiyu, and River.”

Lee softly disagreed, “No. Do not do that, just yet. Those names are too uncommon here. If you do that, it might tip your hand, to them, that you know who they are.”

Pedro quietly agreed, “That is an excellent point. Damn, you really do think several moves ahead.”

Lee whispered, “It is the only reason I am still breathing. Anyway, go home, Pedro. Get some sleep. With luck, tomorrow will be a better day.”

Pedro said, “You too. Sleep well.” He then walked towards the front doors of the lobby. A few seconds later, he was outside, heading for his car.

As Pedro made it outside, he allowed himself to think. He mentally reflected, 'That was an interesting experience. Though, I was most in impressed with Daiyu... Well, Chang. And she is hot as a woman. Still, that Billy Joel's song, We Didn't Start The Fire, is a hard song to sing correctly. I have tried. It is especially hard for those whom are not native in speaking the english language.'

'Of course, with not only Dutch, Benny, and Janet, coming to talk. But, also Chang and River. They are going to bring a whole new level of insanity to my city. I better be ready for them. But, that is for tomorrow. I am to tired to deal with this now. Instead, I am just going to go home, and give some much needed sleep.'

Pedro soon made it to his car, and he drove himself to his home.

(_)

Meanwhile, in the front lobby of the hotel, Lee watched Pedro walk out of the building, and towards his car in the parking lot. Lee then turned to face Sam, whom he saw was standing by the check out desk, looking back at him.

Lee thought, 'Now, to talk to Sam. walked up by Sam, and continued walking towards the elevator bay.

Sam walked with Lee, as he asked, “So, what was that about?”

Lee honestly answered, “It is personal.”

Sam replied, “Okay.”

They then made it to the elevator bay. Lee walked over to one of the panels, between two of the elevators. He then pushed the up arrow, to summon one of the elevators to come pick up Sam and himself.

They stood side by side, with Sam to Lee's right side. They patiently waited for an elevator to come down, and open its doors for them.

Lee turned to Sam, as he said, “I hope you have a pleasant night, Sam.”

Sam looked over at Lee, as he stated, “Thank you. But, I am not going to bed, just yet. I got some things I need to do first.”

Lee asked, “No problem. So, did you have a good time?”

Sam stated, “A great time. You?”

Suddenly the elevator to Lee's right side, dinged, and its doors opened.

Lee walked in to the elevator. Lee turned around, to face Sam. He punched the button on the panel, by the door, for the third floor.

Lee looked up at Sam, as he sadly smiled. Lee said, “I have a great time, as well. This was likely one of the best nights of my life. And when I lay dying on my deathbed, in a few months, I will look back on this night, and smile.”

Lee's comment caught Sam flatfooted, as he inquired, “What do you mean, your deathbed?”

As the doors began to close, Lee looked Sam in his eyes, as he stated, “I am dying of cancer.”

Before Sam could respond, the doors fully closed, leaving the bearded, ponytail man speechless at finding out his friend was dying of cancer. And that his friend would be dead sooner, rather than later.

Sam then turned, towards the exit of the elevator bay. As he was about to walk back towards the lobby, he saw the long red haired, fair skinned woman, know as River, looking back at him, from across the lobby.

To be continued.

up
51 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

An Exciting time for all

First the bullets start flying, then the toes start dancing and the singing starts. Who knew that 23 or was it 25 wild, violent women had such talent. And no one got killed or even shot at during the contest. There was a different result in the morning attack though. People will never learn, just because they are beautiful, they can't be a little independent. The variety of talent at the talent contest was amazing. Such talent coming from such women was stunning. Then of course the mind reader and the one who started all the trouble came in to harass Lee. Another very different chapter, very exciting, but getting to the point Lee may have some trouble. Thanks Again.