My Dreams of Spirit Dancer - Part 4

Printer-friendly version
Jessica.png

My Dreams of Spirit Dancer
by Teddie S.

 

Part 4

 
Little Fawn now has her own dance regalia. Her mother, aunt, and Laughing Maiden had gone behind her back and had a dress made for her. Also behind her back, they set up and held a Give Away Ceremony for Little Wolf at a Pow Wow. Something that she, or even he, really didn't want. Then, a meeting at the police department was very interesting. Everyone found out a lot about the man that attached Caley and murdered Spirit Dancer.

 

The Cemetery and a Surprise.

 

We all went to the cemetery. Caley had gone with her parents and Kimi, and when she got out of the car she looked more like a Native American princess then Caley. There was no way that I could call her Caley, today I just had to call her Laughing Maiden.

After she and I had gotten out of the cars, everyone else drove over to where my grandparents were buried. Laughing Maiden and I walked over to Spirit Dancer's grave, and just stood there. Laughing Maiden reached out and took my hand in hers, and just held it, and we just stood there for a few minutes. Both of us, without talking about it, had brought our dance fans. I started a slow, quiet, in place, dance, and Laughing Maiden joined me. We did sing, but it was very quiet.

When we stopped dancing, we sat on the ground and meditated. I was feeling Spirit Dancer's presence. I don't know if Laughing Maiden was or not. But, I was feeling that Spirit Dancer was happy and was at peace with what had happened today. I also felt that she'd still be around as my Guardian Angel. And, that made me feel good.

When Laughing Maiden and I got up, we looked around and saw the other seven standing by the cars. Kimi broke loose of her mother and came running over to us. When she got to us, she pointed to Spirit Dancer's grave, and asked, "Who's buried there?"

I stooped down, and said, "Spirit Dancer. She was my cousin."

"Oh. Is she the one that was hurt by that bad man?"

"Yes honey. She was."

"That's sad. But, now she's your Guardian Angel?"

"Yes she is."

"I'm really sorry she died."

"Thank you Kimi. She would have liked you."

Kimi then ran back to her mother, as my aunt and uncle walked toward us. The four of us hugged, and then Laughing Maiden and I left them to their thoughts.

When we got back to the group, I asked my dad, "Did we keep you waiting long?"

"No honey.", my dad said. "We gave you all the time you wanted."

"Thanks. It felt good to be with Spirit Dancer."

"Did you feel her spirit?", my mother asked.

"Yes.", Laughing Maiden said.

I looked at her in surprise, and asked, "You felt her spirit too?"

"Yes."

When my aunt and uncle came back to the car, I could see tears in my aunt's eyes, and I hugged her. She whispered in my ear, "Her spirit lives in you."

I didn't say anything, but moved back so I could look at her. And, I saw a little smile on her face. I hugged her again.

The nine of us then headed back to my house for the cookout. When we got there, there was a strange car in the driveway. My mom asked, "Whose car is that?"

"I'm not sure. But, I think it might be Steven's.", my dad said.

"Steven!", I said. "What's he doing home?"

"Maybe his internship is over."

"It'll be good to see him.", my mother said.

"Yeah. Right.", I said.

"What's wrong?"

"Does he know about Little Fawn?"

"I don't think so."

"How about Nora?"

"Yes. He was really sorry that he couldn't be here for the funeral."

"How do we tell him about Little Fawn?"

"Oh. . . . Well . . . I guess we just introduce him to you, and then explain."

"This is going to be interesting."

You see, my older brother Steven, who's Native American name means Charging Bear, hasn't been home since he started college three years ago. He's basically given up his Native American heritage.

"It'll be fine.", my mom said.

"We'll see. But, I'm going to need to take Laughing Maiden for a walk."

"Why?"

"I've never talked much about Steven. And, I want her to know before he sees me."

"Okay honey. We'll go in and talk to him. Then just come in when you're ready."

"Okay."

I got out of my parents car and walked over to Caley who'd just gotten out of her parent's car. And, I said, "We need to go for a walk."

"Why?", she asked.

"That's Steven's car, and before you meet him I need to tell you about him."

"Oh. Okay. Why?"

"I just do."

I took her hand, and as we walked towards the backyard, I saw my mom and dad talking to Laughing Maiden's parents. She and I walked back to the secluded group of pine trees, and we sat on the bench. I didn't say anything right away. Then she said, "So. Tell."

I took a deep breath, and said, "Steven, even though he was born here, has never liked living on the reservation. And, he always want to move to where there was more people. When he got accepted to the university that he did, he left and hasn't been back. He didn't even make it back for Nora's funeral. He's also basically renounced his Native American heritage.

"I figure that he won't understand, or even try to understand, me being two spirited. And, he really won't understand me having the dreams about Nora, and that she's my Guardian Angel. And, seeing me dressed as Little Fawn may really not be good."

She sat there quietly for a short time, then said, "Honey. Just believe in yourself, like I believe in you. Your parents, my parents, your aunt and uncle, and even the FBI guy, believes in you. You know how special you are. I know how special you are. And, they know how special you are.

"You helped me face my fears. Now, I'll help you face yours."

I looked at her, and said, "I love you."

She smiled, and gave me a little kiss.

Then I asked, "So. You felt Spirit Dancer's spirit at the cemetery?"

"Yeah. It was strange. But, I did feel her there. And, it was like she was happy that we were there together."

"That's interesting. No dreams about her?"

"No. You may be."

"Me?"

"Uh huh."

I knew she wasn't going to tell me anything about her dreams, so I didn't even ask.

We then got up, and walked hand in hand to the house.

As we got to the door, she gave me a quick kiss on the cheek, and said, "Everything will be fine."

I looked at her, took a deep breath, opened the door, and walked in. We first saw her mother who was keeping Kimi busy. And, she told us that everyone else was in the kitchen.

We headed to the kitchen, and stopped at the door. Everyone was sitting at the table, and Steven's back was to us. My mom and dad were sitting across from him, my aunt and uncle were sitting on either side of him, and Caley's father was sitting next to my dad.

My mom smiled at us, and said, "Hi kids. Come join us."

Steven turned and looked at us, and said, "You've got to be kidding me!"

As we walked into the kitchen, I said, "What's wrong Steven!?"

Just staring at me, Steven said, "I just heard an unbelievable story about you. And, everyone here has told me things about you and the things that happened. And, now you look more like a girl then I thought was possible. What's happened to you?"

"I've found out that I'm two spirited. And, what you're seeing is my feminine spirit. I guess that it's something that I've been all along, but didn't know it until I had a dream about Dream Dancer, or as you know her Nora. She's my Guardian Angel."

"I just can't believe this. There's no such things as Guardian Angels."

"Then can you explain to me, or to all of us, how I knew that Laughing Maiden was in trouble and where she was."

"It had to be dumb luck."

"Was it dumb luck, as you call it, that I woke out of a sound sleep and knew that she was in trouble, and ran to where she was? There's no way that it was dumb luck."

"So, do you still dress as a boy?"

"Yes. More than I dress as a girl. Now, stop trying to change the subject. And, if you're so damn smart, tell me how I knew."

"Boys.", my mom said. "Stop."

"Mom." I said. "I knew he wouldn't understand. All of you told him the story. And, he still doesn't believe that it happened."

Laughing Maiden had been holding my hand the whole time, and the longer this went on, the harder she squeezed. I looked over at her and she was crying.

Then we heard Laughing Maiden's mother say, "Kimi! You come back here. Right now."

Kimi than ran into the kitchen, with her mother right behind her. Kimi stood next to me, looked at Steven, and said, "Mister. Little Fawn saved my sister. And, my sister might not be here if she hadn't. That would make me really sad. Little Fawn is really nice. Stop talking bad to her."

"Wow!", Steven, in a condescending tone, said. "When a cute little girl like that, tells me I'm wrong. Maybe I am."

"No maybe about it.", my dad said. "And, there's no reason to talk to her that way!"

Steven looked at me, and said, "Luke. No. I guess it's Little Fawn. I'm sorry. I just never believed something like this could happen. Dreams, spirit guides, Guardian Angels, and two spirited people, just don't make sense to me."

Then he looked at Laughing Maiden, and said, "And, I'm sorry that I made your friend cry."

"Steven.", my mom said. "Meet Laughing Maiden. She's the girl that he rescued."

"Oh God no. Now I've really put my foot in it. I believe that he saved you. Everyone knows he did that. I just can't believe that he saw you being attacked in a dream. But, please forgive me?"

"I don't know if I can.", Laughing Maiden said. "You're talking down to everyone here. And, you've hurt someone I care a lot about. She's a wonderful person, and a great friend."

"Sorry."

"I'll think about forgiving you. But, I don't know."

Steven looked me, and asked, "So. You look at yourself as being a girl right now?

"In a way.", I replied. "My feminine spirit is the strongest right now. And, when that happens I feel better looking like a girl. And, when I do, I like to look the best I can."

"I'll be honest. When I first saw the two of you standing there, I saw two pretty girls. I couldn't believe that one of them was you, until you talked."

"Thank you. I know you don't understand everything that they told you about me. It was a lot. I'm still learning about the two-spirit thing myself. But, I believe in myself. I believe that I'm two spirited. I believe that I have a Guardian Angel. I believe that I'm meant to help my people."

"You have really matured since I last saw you."

"Maybe if you'd come around once in a while, you'd know what was happening. Your family misses you."

Then he looked at Laughing Maiden, and asked, "So, my little brother actually rescued you?"

"Yes.", she replied. "He risked his life to save mine."

"And, this was from the same guy that killed my cousin?"

"Yes. And, she's the one who's Little Fawn's Guardian Angel."

"You speak of him so easily as a boy or a girl. Why?"

"Because he is either. And, I see him that way. It's who he is. Who he is meant to be. And, if Nora hadn't told him that he was two spirited, he may have never known. And, that would have been a loss to our people. As was the loss of Nora.

"Nora found out from our forefathers that he was meant to be two spirited. And, came to him in a dream, and told him. It bothered him until he went to the Island of Dreams and found his spirit. Both of them.

"They make him special to his people. To the people who really know him.

"So what if he dresses as a girl at times. It's what's in his heart that's important, and he's pure of heart and mind. It's the people that don't understand that are the looser."

Everyone, including me, just looked at her. Finally my dad broke the silence with, "Ah. Who wants a steak?"

I took Laughing Maiden back to the living room and asked, "Where did all of that come from?"

She smiled at me, and replied, "It's how I feel about you. And, he needed to know."

"I don't know what to say."

"You don't have to say anything. Just continue to be who you are."

"You know. It scares me how well you know me."

With a cute little smile, she said, "It should." Then she gave me a quick kiss.

She had brought a change of clothes with her, and she and I ran upstairs to change. She changed in the bathroom, and I changed in my room. I took off my dress, moccasins, choker, and headband. And, put my hair into a girl's ponytail. I slipped on a pair of shorts, and one of my tops. I only have two pairs of girl's shoes, other than the moccasins, so I put on the sandals with a one inch heel. And, I redid my lipstick. God I was feeling like a girl right now.

Caley and I were done changing at the same time, both of us in shorts and a cute tops. And, we ran downstairs together. The women had started working on all of the food, other than the steaks, and the men were doing that. My mom put us to work getting the vegetables ready, then she quietly asked, "You two didn't change together. Did you?"

"Mother! No!", I said.

As my mom walked away, she said, "Sorry."

I looked at Caley, and she was grinning. I asked her, "And, just what are you grinning about?"

With that cute smile, she said, "Oh nothing."

"Oh something."

Caley and I put together a couple nice trays of raw vegetables, and we carried them out to the table on the patio. All the men, except Caley's dad, were standing around the grill watching my dad cook the steaks. Caley's dad was keeping Kimi occupied playing soccer with her.

My dad saw us with the trays of vegetables, and said, "Thanks girls. Those look good."

As Caley and I walked away, I heard my brother say, "Dad. How can you accept Luke as a girl?"

"Because she is a girl. At least one of her spirits is.", my dad replied.

I stopped where I could hear them, but not be seen. Caley was standing behind me. Then, I heard my brother say, "You may believe all of this, but I'm still finding it hard to accept this spirit thing. And, how can he have two?"

"I've learned that there are such things as people having spirits, and that we all do. And, that there are two-spirit people, and spirit guides, and Guardian Angels. That some people have dreams that have a lot of meaning to them. Like the ones he's had. A lot of this I didn't believe until recently. And, it did take me a while to accept it. But, I have. When he's Little Wolf he's all boy. And, when he's Little Fawn she's all girl.

"When she dances, I see a girl dancing. And, her dancing is fantastic. She tells us that Spirit Dancer is helping her. Maybe Spirit Dancer is guiding her in her dancing as well as being her Guardian Angel.

"You should have been here for the last Pow Wow. We had a Give Away Ceremony for her, and she was so embarrassed that I think if she could have run away she would have. He, or she, doesn't want any recognition for what he does for anyone. But, the way everyone accepted her was wonderful."

"Dad. I'm still not sure if I can accept this. It's just not right. It's against everything that I think is right."

"How long are you going to be here?"

"A few days."

"Spend time with him. No matter which spirit he is. See the two sides of him like I have. Do some of the things like you use to with him. Then make up your mind."

"Maybe. We'll see."

Well. To make a very long story short. This was the longest three days of my life. I hung around the house, and Steven and I did do a few things together, but there was a tension between us every time we were together. And, by the third day, we were avoiding each other. Also, over those three days, I talked with Caley on the phone, but hadn't seen her. Which didn't help.

On the third day, I finally had to get out of the house. So, I called Caley and asked her to meet me at the park. There was a little hesitation in her voice when she said, yes. And, I asked her if she was all right? She answered me by asking me to stop by her house and pick her up.

I walked to her house, and as we were walking to the park I asked her, "What's wrong?"

"I'm still just a little nervous about going to the park by myself."

I took her hand in mine, and said, "I can understand that. You went through a lot."

Instead of sitting at our usual picnic table, we sat on a bench, and she cuddle up next to me. And, we just sat there looking at the lake and the ducks. Finally I said, "This thing with Steven isn't going well."

"Why?", she asked.

"I feel a lot of tension between us. And, I'm afraid to bring up my feminine spirit. In fact, I think she's afraid to show herself. I haven't felt her presence, or dreamed about Nora, since he's been home."

"Do you think that he's going to accept you as you are?"

"No. And, in a way I don't care if he does or not. I'm who I am. And, I like who I am. I'm not going to change for him or really anyone."

"I understand. But, I hate to see this happen to your family."

"I know. I really do to. I've accepted him for what he believes."

"Honey. Just remember, that not everyone is going to understand this. You might not fit into what they feel is normal."

"I know. But, it really hurts to not have a member of your own family accept you."

As she cuddled closer, she whispered, "I'm sorry."

We sat there quietly for a long time. Then I looked at her, and said, "There's nothing for you to be sorry for. I'll just have to accept his decision. Whatever that may be. And, move on."

"I know.", she said. "If he can't accept you. It'll be hard on you. But, you are a very strong person, and will work through it. And, you have people that will help you through it."

"You know. I've been told, even by my brother, that I've matured a lot since this two-spirit thing started. But, I think you've matured more. You see things in me that I don't. Some of the things that you said to my brother the other day, I think, stunned him. I know that they surprised me, and maybe everyone else."

"I said what I was feeling. I felt that he was attacking someone that I love, and I reacted to protect that person."

I took her in my arms and kissed her.

A little later we were walking up to my house, and I noticed that Steven's car was gone. I figured that he was out running around. We walked into the hose and found my mother sitting in the kitchen. She looked at us, and said, "Hi kids."

I looked at my mom, she looked sad, and like she'd been crying. So, I asked, "Mom. Are you all right?"

She sighed, a deep sign, and said, "Not really."

"What's wrong?"

Caley and I sat at the table, as she said, "Your brother."

"What happened?"

"He just left. And, said that he won't be back."

"What!"

"He and your dad got into it this morning. And, it wasn't good."

"About what?"

She just looked at me, and I asked, "Don't tell me it was about me?"

She just nodded yes.

"No. Oh God no."

I felt Caley's hand touch mine, and squeeze it. And, then she asked my mom, "Mrs. Overfield. What happened?"

"Well.", my mother said. "Steven's father started talking to him about Luke. He was wondering if he'd had a chance to do things with you, and see what Luke was all about. Steven went off the deep end. I won't tell you everything that Steven said, but he basically said that there was no way that he could accept what was going on. That is was wrong, and just immoral.

"Then they got into a shouting match. And, your father threw him out of the house. And when he left, as he threw his house key at your dad, and he said that he'd never be back."

I sat there, and started to cry. Then I got up, and ran out of the house. I heard my mom say to Caley, "Honey. Go after him."

I ran to the group of pine trees, where the bench was, sat on the bench, and put my face in my hands. I've never cried this hard before. A few seconds later I sensed Caley sit next to me. I felt her arm go around my back, and her pull me close. I buried my face in her shoulder, cried, and she just held me.

I know I cried for a long time, and Caley tried to calm me down. I don't know how long it had been, but I finally heard my dad's voice say, "Luke. Son. It's not your fault. Your brother just isn't opened minded."

I looked up, and my mother and father were standing there. Then he said, "You're who you are. It's in your mind and soul. And, if he can't accept it, that's his loss. He's never accepted anything of his Native American heritage, and he doesn't know what he's missing. It took me a while to accept everything that has gone on, but I have. I realize I have a son that is also a daughter. A son that has a Guardian Angel. A son that I feel will do good things for his people. A son that enjoys and embraces his two spirits.

"And, don't worry about Steven. He's very self-sufficient and can take care of himself. And, hopefully one day he'll see the errors of his decision. But, please don't blame yourself for it. Please."

"Dad.", I said. "I love you and mom. You're the greatest." Then I looked at Caley, and said, "And, I love you too. But, I feel like it's my fault and that I've driven Steven away. I love him too, and it hurts.

"But, dad. I think I see what you're saying. He's never enjoyed living here. But, why does he hate me?"

"Honey.", my mother said. "He doesn't hate you. He just doesn't understand you, and the whole Native American thing. Some people who don't understand something react in a very negative way to it. Just give it time."

I sat back, took a deep breath, and said, "I guess. But, it still hurts."

My mom and dad left me alone with Caley. And, we just sat there. I finally looked at Caley, and said, "If I didn't have you. I don't know what I'd do. You understand me. Why I don't know. But, you do."

She finally smiled, and said, "It's a secret. And, I'll never tell."

It was funny, but soon after Steven left I felt Spirit Dancer was back with me.

 

School.

 

All of the two-spirit stuff had started towards the end of my sophomore year in high school, and continued through the summer. It wasn't long after Steven had left that Caley and I started our junior year. And, I did continue to dress as Little Fawn, but never at school. And, I continued meeting with White Antelope.

Caley, I, and all of the other kids on the reservation went to a school that was on the reservation. And, there were also a few kids that came from the nearby farms and ranches. The tribal school was really great, thanks to the casino. The school was like a campus. All the buildings for the various grades, elementary, middle school, junior high school, and high school, were separate, but close to each other. All of our classes are small. And, the Tribal Council, had set up a really good School Board, and they are able to pay our teachers very well, so we have some really great teachers. They also offer a lot of college preparatory classes. And, a lot of our teachers are Native American, and a lot of those are from our own tribe. They even offered classes on Native American heritage.

Back during my freshman year, everyone took aptitude tests and I scored high in math and science. So, I've been taking some really tough math and science classes and doing well in them. This year, right after the start of school, they had us take some other aptitude tests. Again I did really well in math and science. And, soon after we found out what our results were, I got called into the junior class's guidance counselor's office. She was new to the school this year, and not a Native American.

As I walked into her office I said, "Miss Thorn. Did you want to see me?"

"Hello Mr. Overfield.", Miss Thorn said. "Yes. Please have a seat."

I sat, and she said, "Your aptitude test scores were really good."

"Thank you.", I replied.

"Really high in math and science. Have you thought about what you would like to do after graduation?"

"Well. I am planning on going to college."

"Any idea what you'd like to study?"

"I was thinking of maybe medicine."

"I was hoping you'd say that. Your scores also indicated a strong leaning that way."

I just smiled. Then she said, "And, some of your other scores were very interesting."

I just looked at her a little puzzled. And, she continued with, "There are some areas of the tests, where girls usually score low and boys score high. And, some areas where girls usually score high and boys score low. And, that's expected. But, you ended up in the middle in a lot of them, and in a few you were well into the ranges where a girl would normally score.

"We do see this in these tests from time to time, but not very often. And, we like to try and figure out why. Would you be willing to talk with me about it?"

I smiled, and said, "Sure. But, I can probably tell you why."

"Oh. And, why is that?"

"I'm two spirited."

"Two spirited?"

"Yes ma'am. Do you know what that is?"

"I do remember reading something about that when I was thinking about taking this job. I wanted to know as much as possible about Native Americans as I could. There was a short article about their belief in spirits, and that sometimes a special person would have two spirts. And, those two spirts are usually male and female. Am I close?"

"Yes ma'am. Really close. And, in some two-spirit people, one of the spirits can be stronger than the other. And, my feminine spirt is stronger than my male one."

"So, you feel that you really have two spirits?"

"Yes ma'am. I know I do."

"And, just how do you know?"

I preceded to tell her about the past summer. She just sat there and took it all in.

When I was done, she said, "You had a really busy summer. I do know what happened to Miss Tallchief. And, that another student rescued her. And, that was you?"

"Yes ma'am."

"And, you had a dream that she was in trouble."

"Yes ma'am."

"And, your Guardian Angel is Miss White-Owl. Who was killed by the same person that attacked Miss Tallchief?"

"Yes ma'am. Spirt Dancer, as we call her, is not only my Guardian Angel, but she was my cousin. And, she was the one that appeared in my dream when Caley was attacked. In fact I dream about her a lot."

She sat there and looked at me for a while, then said, "Mr. Overfield. I tend to believe what you just told me. I know that Native Americans believe in things like this. And, there must be something to it."

"There is. It's true and it happens. If you really want to know more. You might want to talk to White Antelope."

"White Antelope. He's the tribe's medicine man. Isn't he?"

"Yes ma'am. He is. And, he's also my teacher."

"You're teacher?"

"He's been teaching me about two-spirited people."

"Is he a good teacher?"

"Yes ma'am. A very good teacher."

"Maybe I'll just have to meet with him. Maybe he will be able to teach me things about working with you and the other Native American boys and girls here."

"He'd probably be happy to."

"Could you ask him for me? And, if he will, have him give me a call."

"I'm seeing him after school today. So, I'll ask him."

"Thank you. So, you've actually danced as a girl at the Pow Wow."

"Yes ma'am. Actually more than once. With my Guardian Angel being Spirit Dancer, it comes naturally to me. When she was alive she was a fantastic dancer, and she loves to help me dance. And, I really enjoy dancing as a girl."

"You do?"

"Yes ma'am. And, I actually enjoy dressing as a girl and I do it a lot."

"Who knows that you do this?"

"Almost everyone."

"Really?"

"Sure. Being two spirited, and the stronger one being female. When she is guiding me, I feel like being a girl. So, I dress as a girl. And, since I've danced as a girl at the Pow Wows, everyone who was there saw me. And, the people accept me that way.

"I don't try to hide it. My friends are use to seeing me either way, and accept me either way. And, I look good enough when I'm a girl that I could pass you in the street and you wouldn't know it was me."

"That's very interesting Mr. Overfield. Thank you. I think you've opened my eyes to a number of things."

When I met up with Caley later that day, I told her all about my meeting with Miss Thorn. And, she was very interested in what we'd talked about. She grinned, and said, "Outsiders have problems understanding two-spirit people. Don't they?"

"Yes. I think they do.", I replied. "But, I have a feeling that she's trying to understand everything that I told her. It was like she really wanted to know about me. And, she seemed truly interested in talking to White Antelope."

I spoke with White Antelope about what Miss Thorn and I had talked about. And, he seemed pleased that she was interested in talking with him, and said that he would call her.

Later I found out that Miss Thorn and White Antelope did start meeting on a regular basis. And, that I was correct when I thought that she was truly interested in meeting with him. One day at school, I ran into Miss Thorn in the hallway, and she said, "Mr. Overfield. I want to thank you for putting me in contact with White Antelope. He really has taught me a lot about Native Americans, and their beliefs.

"And, he's really opened my eyes as to how important and special two-spirit people are to their people."

I smiled, and said, "I'm glad that you two are getting together. I knew he would be able to answer all your questions."

"He's invited me to come to a Fire Ceremony at the next full moon. And, he said that I should bring two sticks to burn. One would represent something that I'd like to rid from my past. And, the other would represent a request for something new."

"You should come. The Full Moon Fire Ceremony provides a way to release the energy from something in the past that you'd like to get rid of, and a prayer request for something new."

"You seem to know your Native American lore."

"White Antelope is a good teacher."

Two days later I was with White Antelope, and he said, "I've invited Miss Thorn to a Full Moon Fire Ceremony."

"She told me a couple of day's ago.", I replied.

"I thought she would. She's learned a lot about us. And, wants to learn more. Plus, she's very interested in you and you being a two-spirit person. But, I haven't told her much about you, just what a two-spirit person is. And, I think maybe it's time for her to meet Little Fawn."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. And, the Fire Ceremony would be an ideal place to do it. And, I'd like Laughing Maiden there too. We're having the ceremony out behind my house at the teepee. There will be others there. And, I'd like you and Laughing Maiden to dance for us."

"She might like that. She hasn't really wanted to dance much since that day she was attacked."

"That's not good. Do you think she will?"

"I'll ask her. And if she doesn't, I'll talk her into it."

"I hope you can. Because, I want you to make an entrance. I'd like you two to be in the teepee, and come out when I call you."

"How about this. We hide in the teepee, and when the drumming and singing starts, we come out and dance. Then you can introduce us to her?"

"Yes. I like that."

Later that day Caley and I were walking back to her house from the park. And, I said, "White Antelope told me that he's invited Miss Thorn to a Fire Ceremony."

"She really is trying to learn about our people. Isn't she?", Caley said.

"Yes she is. Would you like to go?"

"Sure. I haven't been to one for a long time."

"Since he's talked with her about two-spirit people, he thinks it's time she meets Little Fawn."

"So, Little Fawn would be there?"

"Yeah. Would you like to dance?"

"Huh?"

"White Antelope wants us to dance at the ceremony."

"Us? Like me and Little Fawn."

"Yes."

"Really?"

"Yes."

"Ah. Maybe."

"What's wrong? You haven't wanted to dance since that day. Why?"

"I don't know."

"Honey. This isn't good. You love to dance. You need to dance. Dance with Little Fawn, and I'll bet you'll feel better."

"You think?"

"Yes."

"You really want me to dance with you?"

"Honey. When haven't I wanted to dance with you?"

"I guess never."

"We dance together like we're one. And, I love doing it with you."

She wrapped her arms around me, and kissed me. After we broke the kiss, she said, "Thank you. I needed you to ask me. To show me that you still cared about our dancing together. It'll be just so good to dance again."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"I don't know."

"Please. Don't hold things back from me. Talk to me."

"I will. I promise."

I smiled at her, and said, "It'll be wonderful to dance with you again. But, you can't tell anyone."

"Why?"

"Miss Thorn hasn't met Little Fawn. And, we're going to surprise her."

"How?"

"Well. We're going to hide in White Antelope's teepee, and when the drumming and singing starts we'll make an entrance and dance. Then he'll introduce us to her."

"How do you think she'll take it?"

"I think she'll be surprised. And, it should be fun."

- End Part 4 -

AttachmentSize
Image icon maiden-doe.gif72.85 KB
up
239 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

It was like you were watching!

Bobbie Sue's picture

I had been reading Part 3 and when I posted my comment, I returned to the "Home page" and there was Part 4!

Great chapter!

HUGS

Bobbie Sue

I am glad that Miss Thorne is

I am glad that Miss Thorne is so open minded and willing to learn about the culture and heritage of her students, so she can do a better job with them. Steven, is pretty much a bigoted jerk about his own people. He may have gotten a small start regarding this when he was growing up, and I am wondering if it wasn't due to a non-Native American teaching him? Once he went off to college, and came into contact with some many others who were also non-Native American, it just grew and grew. He definitely needs a good attitude adjustment and I think Little Fawn is just the person to give it to him. Perhaps he is the second feather she still has not done something for. She winds up saving him in the metaphysical/spiritual sense rather a strictly physical sense.
A wonderful story that needs to continue for a long, long time.
Janice

Ying and gang...

Stephen and Miss Thorn. The joy and strength of Caley has something bothering her. I'm wondering about the second feather. It feels like there is something in the background that is uneasy.

The story is only getting better.

Hugs< Jessie

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors