My Dreams of Spirit Dancer - Part 2

Printer-friendly version
Jessica.png

My Dreams of Spirit Dancer
by Teddie S.

 

Part 2

 
After a visit to the Island of Dreams, Luke has found that he does have two spirits. His male spirit is the wolf, and his female spirit is the fawn. He's danced at a Pow Wow as his girl spirit, Little Fawn. And, had thoughts of becoming a girl. But, is his dance partner his special partner?

 

Caley. Caley! Oh God no! Caley!

 

Caley liked to run to help keep in shape for dancing. She was a really good runner, and could out run most of the boys. And, she liked to do it in the early morning. But, I didn't like her doing it alone and especially in the early morning. And, I've told her so. I'd had another dream where Nora had again warned me that here was a dark spirit around.

Then one morning something startled me wide awake. Caley! Something was wrong. I jumped out of bed, pulled on my jeans, slipped on my shoes, headed downstairs, and ran for the door. My mom saw me, and asked, "Where are you going?"

"Something's wrong. I've got to find Caley."

And, I ran out the door. I knew that this was the time of day that Caley usually ran, and that she ran through the park as part of her route. And, something drew me there. When I got there, there was no one around. I walked around looking. The early morning was very quiet. Then I heard a muffled scream coming from the pine forest that borders the park. I listened trying to figure out the direction that they came from.

I heard the muffled scream again, and headed, at a full run, in the direction that it came from. As I got deeper into the pine forest, I heard the screams again, and I was closer.

Then I saw them. There was a man and a girl. And, the man was trying to pull the girl deeper and deeper into the woods. And, the girl was struggling to get away from him. As I got closer, I saw it was Caley. Someone was trying to hurt Caley.

I found a big stick, picked it up, and ran after them. My heart was pounding. He was bigger than I was, and I had to figure out how to get him without him hurting Caley any more or me. I knew the woods. And, I loved the girl that he was trying to hurt. He was following the trail that ran beside a fast flowing river. The river was also too deep for him to cross. So, I had an idea of where he was going. I took a short cut that I knew, and ended up ahead of them.

As he pulled her down the trail, he rounded a corner where I was hiding behind a tree. His back was to me, I swung the big stick, and hit him in the head. He let loose of Caley, and she fell to the ground. I knew that I had hurt him, but he didn't go down.

He came after me, and I used the end of the stick to punch him in the stomach. He bent over, but kept coming. I swung the stick again, and hit him in the arm. But, he was able grabbed me, and went to hit me. But, he'd opened himself up, and I kneed him in the groin. This time he went down before he could hit me. I may be skinny, but I'm quick.

I figured that I didn't want him getting up. So, I hit him over and over with the stick until I figured that he was unconscious. Then out of anger, I kicked him a few times. And, I didn't care if he was dead or not.

I went to Caley, and she was laying on the ground, near the river, crying. I knelt down with her. Finally I got my breath back, and was able to ask, "Caley. Did he hurt you?"

She just continued to cry. Again I asked, "Did he hurt you?"

She looked up at me, and pointed to her left arm, and whispered, "I think it's broken."

"Take it easy. He won't hurt you again. But, we've got to get you out of here, and some help."

I checked Caley over, and she wasn't bleeding, but her lower left arm was broken. I took out my cell phone, I figured it wouldn't work here, and I was right, I had no signal. I muttered, "Damn it."

I looked over at where he was laying, and he wasn't moving. Then I said, "No one knows that were here. And, we need to get out of here just in case he wakes up. Do you think you can walk if I help you?"

"I'll try.", she whispered.

"You'll have to support your left arm with your right, and it's going to hurt. Think you can do it?"

"With you here. Yes."

I helped her up, and she cried out in pain. But, she got up, and used her right arm to support her left. I helped her slowly walk down the trail and out of the pine forest.

It took us a little while, but as we walked back into the open area of the park, a tribal police car was just pulling into the parking lot, and I waved them down. The officer got out of his car, and asked, "Are you Luke Overfield?"

"Yes. But, get her some help. Some guy grabbed her, pulled her into the woods, and her arms broken." And, I helped Caley sit on a bench. And, sat with her

He picked up his portable radio and said something. Then he asked me what had happened, and I told him. He was quickly back on his radio.

Then he said, "Your mother called and said you left the house in a big hurry after saying something was wrong. We've been looking all over for you. Who's the girl?"

"She's my girlfriend, Caley Tallchief. Can you call her parents?"

Shortly I heard sirens. Quickly there were two more tribal police officers here, and after again telling them what had happened. They wanted me to take them and show them where I'd left the guy. But, I wouldn't leave Caley until there was an ambulance there to help her.

It wasn't long until an ambulance from the fire department pulled in, followed by two sheriff's cars. And, once I was sure Caley was in good hands, and that her parents had been called, I led the officers back into the pine forest.

We followed the trail, and you could see where the guy had dragged Caley. We got to the spot when he and I had fought, and you could see that there had been a fight here. But, he wasn't where I'd left him. I looked for tracks, and something told me to go west, and I did. And, I found his trail through the thickets. He wasn't hard to track.

We must have followed him for a half a mile or more, and he didn't know these woods, as he kept going deeper and deeper into the thicker woods. And, heading for a river that he couldn't cross at this time of year. We found him unconscious, lying face down in a bunch of poison ivy. If I didn't hate this guy so much, I'd feel sorry for him. He's going to itch for a week.

They were going to have to bring some kind of stretcher in to get him out. I knew that the ambulance guys could probably find their way in, as the tracks that the five cops and I had left made an easily trail to follow. But, one of the cops hiked, actually ran, back out with me, he was going to guide the ambulance crew in, and I was going to check on Caley.

When we got back to the parking area, there were two ambulances, eight police cars, my parents, and Caley's parents there. They all came up to me, and Caley's mother asked, "Honey. Are you all right?"

"Yeah. I'm fine. How's Caley?", I replied.

"She has a broken arm, and would you please talk some sense into her? She won't let them take her to the hospital until she knows that you're all right."

I shook my head, and walked over to the ambulance where they were treating Caley. She was laying on the cot inside the ambulance, with her arm in a splint. I went in, and said to her, "Why are you still here?"

"I just had to be sure that you were okay.", she replied.

"I'm here. And, I'm fine."

"Did they get him?"

"Yeah. We found him face down in a patch of poison ivy. Did he hurt you other than the arm?"

"No. He jumped me while I was running, and started pulling me into the woods. Then you came. Who is he?"

"I don't know. I've never seen him before."

"God I was scared."

I wasn't going to tell her, but I was scarred too. Scarred for her. I sat down on the bench next to her and held her right hand. Then one of the ambulance guys said, "Miss. We really need to take you to the hospital now. Who do you want to ride with you?"

Caley looked up at me, and said, "Him."

"Then I'd better go tell our parents.", I said.

I looked up, and our parents were standing at the open back door of the ambulance, and her dad said, "Luke. Go with her, and we'll meet you at the hospital."

When we arrived at the hospital, they wouldn't let me stay with her as they worked on her. So, I sat in the waiting room with our parents, and I filled them in on what happened. When I was done, her mother asked, "Did you really have a dream about what was happening to Caley, and where to find her?"

I just said, "Yes."

Her dad said, "Luke. I'm so very thankful that you found her before anything else happened to her."

"I'm more than thankful.", her mother said. "And, I can't believe that you had that dream. But, Caley has told me that you're special, and I guess you are."

"I was just glad that I could help her.", I said. Then, I said to my dad, "Dad. Why don't we have better cell service? I can't use my cell phone anywhere but close to the casino. I could have gotten her help a lot quicker if we did."

"You know that we've been trying to get them to expand service here.", my dad said. "And, this just may do it."

"I hope."

"I'll bring it up at the next Tribal Council meeting. And, see if we can push the cell company."

About an hour after we'd gotten to the hospital, another ambulance arrived followed by two police cars. I figured that it was the guy that had grabbed Caley. And, I wanted to go hit him some more.

A short time later, two men, in suits, walked into the emergency room, and talked with one of the nurses. After a minute or so, the nurse pointed to us, and the two men walked over. They identified themselves as police detectives, one from the tribal police and one from the sheriff's office.

Then they explained that they were investigating what had happened to Caley, and that they couldn't talk to her yet, but would like to speak to me. And, I readily agreed to talk with them. They also said, that they'd like, since I was underage, to have one of my parents with me. My dad, being a lawyer, said that he would.

We went into a room, and sat. The detectives asked me to tell them my story from the beginning, and I did. They recorded it and took notes. When I was done, the sheriff's detective asked, "You had a dream that she was in trouble?"

"Yes sir.", I replied. "My Guardian Angel showed me that she was in trouble."

"Guardian Angel?"

"Yes sir. I'm two spirted. And, my Guardian Angel is Spirit Dancer."

The tribal detective broke in with, "Jim. It's something that you probably won't understand. But we believe in dreams, and such." Then he looked at me, and said, "Wait a minute. Spirit Dancer. Why is that name familiar to me?"

"She was my cousin. Nora White-Owl. And, we called her Spirit Dancer."

"Your cousin was the girl that was raped and murdered not long ago?"

"Yes sir. Nora White-Owl."

The detectives looked at each other, then at me, and the sheriff's detective asked, "That case is still open. And, you say she came to you in a dream?"

"Yes sir. Like I said, I'm two spirited and she's my Guardian Angel, and I dream about her all the time. And, she came to me while I was sleeping this morning and told me that Caley was in trouble, and where to look for her."

"Do you think that this could be the guy that hurt your cousin?"

"I'm not sure, but she's warned me about a dark spirit being around."

"And, you believe all of this?"

"Yes sir."

"Jim.", the tribal detective said. "Yes he does. Because it happened. I'll explain all of this to you later. Let's go and see if the girl can talk to us yet. And, we have to try and talk to the guy."

Then he looked at me, and said, "You gave that guy quit a beating. And, what you did probably saved the life of your girlfriend, but you risked getting yourself hurt or worse. It was both brave and foolish. But, you may have brought new light to your cousin's case."

"I knew it was dangerous.", I replied. "But, it was the right thing to do, and I had to help Caley. And, I knew that I could do it. And, I really hope that we've also caught the guy that killed Nora."

The detectives asked my dad to go along when they talked to Caley, and he agreed. I went back into the waiting room and sat with everyone else, including White Antelope. Who had arrived while we were gone.

White Antelope looked at me, and said, "Little Fawn. You doubted the bravery that the Eagle feathers said you had?"

"I should have known that you were right about that.", I replied. "But, what about the second feather?"

"Time will answer that."

As I sat, Caley's mother told me that the doctor had talked with them, and that he'd said that there were no other injuries other than the broken arm.

I asked, "So, he wasn't able to . . . ?"

"No honey. He wasn't able to rape her. And, she's been asking for you. But, you'll have to wait until the detectives are through talking to her."

We sat, and waited. About twenty minutes later my dad and a nurse came over to us, and the nurse took me back to see Caley.

As I walked into her room, her eyes were closed, and she had a cast on her left arm. I just stood there and looked at her. Finally she opened her eyes, looked at me, smiled, and said, "Hi."

I smiled back, and just said, "Hi."

I walked over, bent down, and gave her a little kiss. Then we just looked at each other. Finally, she said, "Thanks."

"Thanks for what? I didn't do anything.", I asked.

"Yes you did. You saved me from that guy."

"It was nothing."

"Nothing! That's not what I saw. I think you saved my life."

I just shrugged my shoulders.

Caley frowned at me, and said, "Stop being so modest. The detectives told me that you beat the heck out of the guy and that there's a possibility that this guy is the one that hurt Nora."

"Yeah. It's possible that he is.", I replied

"They also said that you'd had a dream about what was happening to me."

"Yeah. Nora came to me in a dream and told me that you were in danger."

She shook her head, and said, "You know, you really are special."

"Really?"

"Yes. Really. I don't think I'd be here right now without you."

"I've never told you this, but right after I came back from the island after finding my spirits, I took a nap. I had another dream about Nora, and in that dream she told me that a girl had come into my life. And, that the girl would be a special friend and confidant. And to treat her really well, as she would become very important to me.

"And, I know who this girl is. Do you?"

"No. Who is she?"

"You."

"Me!?"

"Yes you. You are very important to me. And, a very special friend. And, now I want you to promise me one thing?"

"I'd promise you anything."

"Good. Then promise me that you'll never run alone again, or so early in the morning?"

She smiled, and said, "I promise that I won't run alone or so early again. But, you know what that means. Don't you?"

"What?"

"That you're going to have to run with me."

Just then, our parents walked into the room. And, Caley's dad said, "Well young lady are you ready to go home?"

"Daddy. I'm more than ready." Caley replied.

 

Back home.

 

I rode home with Caley and her parents, and helped get her comfortable on the couch in the living room. Then I was going to head home, but she wouldn't let me. She wanted me to stay and keep her company. And, I couldn't turn her down.

As I hadn't taken the time to grab a shirt when I ran out of my house this morning, I was still shirtless. So, I asked Caley's mother if she had something that I could wear. She found me a t-shirt that had the casino logo on the front of it.

Caley finally fell asleep, and I went and found her parents in the kitchen. As I walked in, her mother asked, "I was just going to fix lunch. Would you like something?"

"Sure.", I said. "That would be nice. I haven't eaten today."

I sat at the table, and Caley's dad said, "Son. I can't thank you enough for what you've done for Caley."

"Mr. Tallchief.", I said. "No thanks are necessary. Caley is special to me, and I couldn't see her being hurt. And, I just had to do something."

"But, you put your life on the line for her."

"I know. But, she's worth it."

"You know." Caley's mother said. "Caley really thinks a lot of you. And, thinks you're a special person."

"She saw something in me, even before I knew that I was two spirited. And, she's helped me see what a two-spirit person is. Especially the feminine side. And, she is special to me too."

Then we heard a soft voice say, "Hi guys."

We looked, and Caley was standing in the doorway. Her mother said, "What are you doing up?"

"I woke up, and was alone. So, I came and found you guys. Besides, I'm hungry and smelled you cooking."

I got up, and helped her to a chair. Then Caley asked, "Where's Kimi?"

"At grandmother's.", her mother said. "I didn't want her in the middle of all of this. She should be home soon."

We sat, ate, and talked some more. Then her mother said to me, "You know Luke. The more I see you, the more mature you seem. When I first met you, you came across as a typical teenage boy. But, now you seem to have as much maturity as someone much older."

"You know, some of my friends have said something like that too.", I said

"It's like you've matured quickly over the past couple of months." Caley added.

Caley's dad said. "Do you think it might have something to do with finding out that you are two spirited?"

"Maybe.", I replied. "I know that I've been seeing things differently since I found out. And, more so since I visited the island, and also having had Spirit Dancer as my Guardian Angel."

"Maybe you're picking up Spirit Dancers maturity." Caley's mother said. "I know that she was one of the most level headed dancers that I've met. And, everyone looked up to her."

Just then we heard a car pull into the driveway, a car door open and slam shut, someone run up to the door, and run into the kitchen. And, a small voice say, "Mommy. Mommy. Is Caley okay?"

Caley said, "I'm fine Kimi."

Kimi ran over to her sister and gave her a big hug, and then noticed the cast on her arm. And, asked, "What's that on your arm?"

"A cast."

"Why?"

"Because it's broken."

"Can you take it off?"

"No. It has to stay on until my arm heals."

"Oh. Okay. But, you're okay?"

"Yes I am."

Kimi ran off, just as an older lady walked into the kitchen, and said, "I couldn't keep her in the house any longer. She had to make sure that Caley was all right."

"That's okay.", Caley's mother said. "When we rushed her out of the house and dropped her at your house, I knew she was worried. Oh. And, mom. This is Luke Overfield. He's a friend of Caley's. Luke this is my mother, Mrs. Walking Bear."

We greeted each other. Then she gave me a hard look, and said, "You're the two-spirit boy that Caley's told me about. Aren't you?"

"Yes ma'am.", I answered.

"The one that danced as a girl at the Pow Wow a while back."

"Yes ma'am."

She then smiled, and said, "A two-spirit person is rare. And, someone that can dance that well, is very rare." Then looking at Caley, she asked, "So, young lady. What happened to you?"

Caley started with, "You'd better sit down."

"Oh! It's that bad?"

"It could have been. Please sit."

Caley's grandmother sat with us, and Caley went on to tell her the whole story. Even about my dreams.

When Caley was done, her grandmother sat there in shock for a minute, then said, "Granddaughter. The Great Spirit was really looking after you today." Then looking at me, she said, "And, you young man. I owe you a big debt of thanks for rescuing my granddaughter. It would have killed me if anything had happened to her."

I sat there and didn't say anything.

Then Caley's grandmother said to me, "I'm sorry. I think I've embarrassed you." Then looking at Caley, she said, "He's very modest. Isn't he?"

Caley replied, "Yes he is grandma."

"So, he's your boyfriend?"

"Grandma!"

"Honey. You're old enough to have boyfriends. Your mother did at this age. And, I think this boy is a nice young man. And, I hope that you like each other."

"They do mom.", Caley's mother said.

Caley looked at her mother, and just said, "Mother!" Then she got up, grabbed my hand in her good hand, and said, "Come on. Let's go sit outside. I want to get some sun."

I got up, and walked outside with her. Kimi was playing on her swing set, and we sat where we could watch her. We sat there in silence for a few minutes, then Caley said, "I'm sorry about all of that."

"All of what?", I asked.

"My mother and grandmother."

"Well. Aren't we boyfriend and girlfriend?"

She looked at me, smiled, and said, "Yeah. I guess we really are." Then, she kissed me. Not a short one like last time, but a longer one. A really nice kiss.

We held the kiss until we heard a little voice taunt, "I'm going to tell. I'm going to tell."

Caley looked at her little sister, stuck out her tongue, and said, "Go ahead. I don't care. I'll kiss him if I want to." Then she turned to me, and kissed me again.

When we broke that kiss, I said, "I'm not complaining. But, what was that for?"

Caley grinned, and said, "That was the first of the many thank yous that I owe you for what you did today."

"You don't owe me a thing."

"Yes I do. And, I plan to pay it back."

I wasn't going to argue with her. She was the first girl that I'd ever kissed, and her kisses were very nice. She cuddled up next to me, and I just held her. We just sat there watching Kimi play, and she was keeping an eye on us to see if we kissed again.

Finally I said, "Can I tell you something, without you getting upset?"

"I don't think there is anything that you could tell me that would upset me.", she replied.

"Well. I know we're only sixteen. But, this morning when I saw that guy dragging you through the woods. The only thing that was in my mind was that I've got to stop him from hurting the girl that I love."

She sat up, looked at me, and said, "Really?"

"Yes. It's what drove me to go after him, get you away from him, and want to hurt him really bad."

She cuddled closer to me, and whispered, "Little Wolf. I love you too."

We sat there for a long time. It felt good just to hold her.

I little while later Caley's mother came out, and said, "I just talked to Luke's parents. And, would you two like to go with us to the casino for dinner?"

"Sure mom.", Caley said.

Then I said, "I'd better run home and change."

Then we heard Kimi run up to us, and say, "Mommy. Mommy. Caley and Luke were kissing."

Caley's mother looked a Kimi, and said, "Kimi. That's none of your business. Now go in the house. Grandma is going to stay with you while we go out to dinner."

"Okay mommy.", Kimi said as she looked a little dejected, and started walking towards the house.

Then Caley's mother looked at us, and said, "Now. You two. I know you've been through a lot today. And, your emotions are still probably running high. But, if you're going to show your feelings for each other, please don't do it in front of Kimi. It'll just add fuel to her ability to tease you."

"Mom.", Caley said. "You're not mad that we kissed?"

"Honey. Like I said your emotions are probably running high. And, you also probably feel very close to each other right now. And, that may change at some time in the future, or maybe not. So, showing affections to each other is okay, but maybe try and keep it a little private.

"Now, Luke. Would you like me to run you home to change?"

"That would be great. Mrs. Tallchief.", I replied.

On the way home, Caley's mother said, "Luke. I know that you and Caley went through a lot today. And, I think that what you did came out of your love for her. Just remember that you're only sixteen. I know I don't have to say this, but all I ask is that you be good to her."

"Mrs. Tallchief.", I said. "She means a lot to me. And, yes we went through a lot today. And, I promise you that I'll be good to her."

"Thank you. That's all I ask."

The six of us had a nice dinner, especially without our little nemesis, Kimi. She's cute, but can be a real pain. And, it appears that the word is getting around about what happened, because we had a few people stop at our table and talk to us. Most were saying that they were happy that Caley was all right. Some told me that I did a good thing.

The next morning, my mom handed me the local tribal newspaper, and the front page article was about what had happened. I just hope this doesn't get blown all out of proportion.

I talked with Caley that morning, and went over and had lunch with her. She was sore and the cast was bothering her. But, I look at it this way, I just very happy that she's alive and not hurt any worse than she is. We spent the afternoon just talking about a lot of things. And, I also stayed and had dinner with her family.

 

Shopping

 

The following day, after I'd had breakfast, I asked, "Mom. Could you help me dress like a girl?"

"Ah. . . . Well. I guess.", she replied. "What brought this on?"

"I had a dream last night that I was Little Fawn. And, this morning it just feels like I need to be Little Fawn. Like I need to find out what it's like to be a girl. Not just a dancer, but a regular girl."

"Sure. But, all you have are the two dance outfits."

"I know."

"So, do you think we should go shopping?"

"Yeah. I guess we might need to."

"Do you want to go as Little Fawn or yourself?"

"Isn't Little Fawn a part of me?"

"Yes. I guess she is. What I meant was, do you want to go looking like Little Fawn or Luke?"

"I don't have anything to wear that's a girls."

"I may be able to find enough. You do have that one bra and pair of panties."

"Yeah. I even thought of putting them on this morning."

"Do you know where they are?"

"Sure. They're in my underwear drawer."

"Why don't you go and put those on, and then we'll see what we can do."

"Sure."

I ran upstairs and took out the bra and panties.

I stripped, and slipped on the panties. Then the bra. At least now I knew how to put on the bra. I wrapped the bra around my chest, hooked the hook and loop things, spun the bra so that the cups were in front, and slipped my arms through the straps. There I was wearing a bra with nothing for them to support.

Then I remembered the nylons. I'd given them back to mom. So, I called down to her, "Hey mom?"

She walked to the bottom of the steps, so that she didn't have to shout. Looked up at me, and said, "Yes honey?"

"Where are the nylons that I used in the bra?"

"There in the second drawer in my dresser."

"Can I use them?"

"Sure honey."

I walked into my mom and dad's room, and over to her dresser. Looked at all the things that were on it, and wondered what they were for. Then I opened the second drawer on the left. No nylons. But, more interesting things. Then I opened the second drawer on the right, and found the nylons that I'd used. And, other nylons and what I knew to be panty hose.

Just then, I heard the phone ring, and I knew my mom would answer it. So, I started putting the nylons in my bra. My bra? Well I guess it is. Then I heard mom call up the steps, "Honey. It's Caley."

"Okay mom. I'll get it up here.", I replied.

I picked up the phone in my mom and dad's room, and said, "Hi. How are you feeling?"

"Sore. But, not too bad.", Caley replied.

"I worry about you."

"I'll be all right. Thanks to you. But, I need to get out of this house. What are you doing?"

"Ah. Mom and I are going shopping."

"Going shopping. For what? Where?"

"Ah. . . . Something for Little Fawn."

"Little Fawn! Why?"

"I just woke up this morning, and felt that I needed to be her."

"You had a dream. Didn't you?"

"How did you know?"

"Just a guess. But, you do things that are in your dreams."

"Yeah. I guess I do."

"I've got to get out. Think I could go?"

"I don't know why not. Let me check."

I yelled down to my mom, and asked if Caley could go with us. She said that it would be fine. So, I told Caley that it was okay for her to go, and I'd call her when we were ready to leave. Then I went back downstairs, in only my panties and bra, and found mom.

My mom looked at me, put her hands on her hips, and said, "Young lady. You don't run around the house in just your underwear. If your father had been home . . . "

"Sorry.", I said meekly. "But, I don't have anything to put on."

"There's a robe in the bathroom."

"But, that's yours."

"You can use it. Now, let's see what we can find for you to wear."

We went back upstairs and to her room, and she started looking through her drawers. She came out with a pair of shorts and a pretty top. She told me that the shorts were too small on her, but might fit me with a belt. I told you that I was skinny.

I slipped the shorts on and they fit, but were a little loose. So, mom got a fancy belt, and that helped. The top was a really pretty print with short loose sleeves. I turned and looked in the mirror, and smiled. Mom was also smiling, and said, "That's cute on you. Now let's see what we can do with your hair and with some make up."

We went into her bathroom, and she first did my hair by putting it into a girl's style pony tail. She used a really cute tie to hold it in place. Then she looked at my face, and said, "We'll keep this light. But, I want to clean up your eyebrows."

I just let her work. The plucking was painful, but she didn't do too much. I hope. Then she went over my eyebrows very lightly with an eyebrow pencil, then a light coat of mascara on my eyelashes. And, a subdued red on my lips. She stood back, looked at me, smiled, and said, "Take a look."

I looked in the mirror, smiled again, and said, "I do look like a girl. Don't I?"

"Yes you do honey."

"Mom. Why are you helping me do this?"

"I guess, because I love you."

"But, I'm your son, not your daughter."

"Aren't you?"

"Aren't I what?"

"Aren't you both my son and my daughter?"

"I . . . I guess I am. Aren't I?"

"Yes you are. And, I love you. And, I'm willing to help you in any way that I can. I know that trying to understand being two spirited is hard on you, and I want to make it as easy on you as I can."

"Mom. I love you."

"Now, let's get you some jewelry."

We went back to her room, and she dug out a really pretty silver and turquoise bracelet. Then a couple of rings, and a necklace. The necklace was a thin chain, with a silver and turquoise pendant. She looked at me, smiled, then said, "Earrings."

She walked over to her dresser and took a big box out of the bottom drawer. She opened the top and said, "Take out your studs, and pick any pair of earrings."

I looked in the box, and said, "Mom. I didn't know that you had so many?"

"It's a woman's thing."

I looked through the earrings and found a pretty pair that matched the bracelet that I was wearing. They were long, dangly, and made of silver and turquoise. I removed the studs, that I'd worn since just after the Pow Wow, and inserted the earrings. Again a look in the mirror, and a smile.

We were at Caley's house about a half an hour later. She heard us pull in, and walked out the front door. Her left arm was in a sling, and I figured that she'd have problems with the car door. So, I got out of the car to help her. She stopped dead in her tracks, looked at me, and said, "Girlfriend. You are so cute."

I just smiled at her, opened the door for her, and said, "And, so are you."

She got in and asked, "So, where are we going?"

"Somewhere where we can buy some clothes for Little Fawn.", my mother replied.

"Cool. A girl's day of shopping. That will be fun."

"I thought we'd go over to the big mall."

The drive to the mall that mom wanted to go to would take about an hour. It's in the biggest town in the area. So, on the way we just chatted.

At some point, I asked Caley, "You going to the Pow Wow on Saturday?"

"Maybe.", she replied.

"Maybe? Why maybe?"

"I won't be able to dance. So, it won't be as much fun."

"Oh. That's right. Dancing with a broken arm would be hard."

"No kidding."

"But, we'd be together."

"Yeah. That would be fun. And, you could even dance."

"Dance? I don't want to compete."

"I know. But, they're also having a fun dance, and the dancers are going to teach the people who want to learn. It could be fun."

"Honey.", my mom said. "You are a good dancer, and good with people. And, as Caley said, it could be fun."

"Maybe."

"Please?", Caley asked.

"Okay. I'll do it. But, only if you're with me."

"Where else would I be."

Our first stop, once we made it to the mall, was the restrooms. I really didn't want to go into the ladies, but I had to go. And, the two of them really had to do some fast talking to get me in there. But, my mom had said, "There's no way you can go in the men's looking like that." And, she was right. So, I made my first visit to the ladies room, and nothing happened.

Then it was to a restaurant in the mall for a nice lunch. And, it was there that my mom told me that everything we buy today for Little Fawn, I was going to pay for. As I stumbled over the thought of spending the money, she reminded me of the money I had from my casino shares. Then I reminded her that I was saving that for college. She just smiled, and said, "Don't worry."

I decided that I might as well pay for the day. So, after I'd paid for lunch for the three of us, we started shopping. The first place we stopped was a lingerie shop. Caley and my mom thought everything they saw would look cute on me. And, I saw a few things that I had to agree with them on. When we left, I had three bras, and a dozen panties.

We found an upscale shop that catered to teenagers, and we were quickly in there. And, talk about cute things with big price tags. We weren't in there long.

We wandered further down the mall and into one of the nationally known stores. We found the teen section, and they had some really cute things at a reasonable price. There I spent a bunch, and we left there with two pair of short, two skirts, two pairs of girls jeans with fancy embroidery on them, and five tops of various kinds.

Further down the mall we found a shoe store, and Caley admitted that shoes were her downfall. She loved them. We went in, and the first thing I got was a pair of girl's sneakers with pink trim. Then we found a pair of sandals with a one inch heel, and we got those.

We dropped all of our packages at a place that had lockable storage, and wandered the mall window shopping. We looked at all the pretty things at all the women's stores. And, there was a lot of things to look at. We even stopped and looked at the dresses in the windows of a bridal shop.

I could tell Caley was getting tired, so I suggest that we stop at the food court, and get something to drink. Mom and Caley sat, and I went and got the drinks. After we'd been there a little while, mom said, "You girls sit here, and I'll be right back. There's something I want to check on."

Mom walked back in the direction that we'd just come from, and Caley and I sat and talked. Caley asked, "Your mom really sees you as a girl. Doesn't she?"

"I think, at times, she does. She understands the two-spirit thing. And, understands that at times I need to be Little Fawn."

"I think my mom really understands it too. She and I had a talk about it a couple days ago. How much dressing, as Little Fawn, do you think you're going to do?"

"I don't know.", I replied. "I just wanted to do it today. I did have a dream about being Little Fawn. So, I just did it."

"Do you like doing it?"

"Actually. Yes. It feels good. And, so far it's been fun. Now. Let me ask you something. How do you feel about me doing it?"

She looked at me, smiled, and said, "I like it. It's fun seeing you like this. And, to have another girlfriend. And, remember, I was one of the first to figure out that you were special. There was just something about you that drew me to you. And, I'm glad that you like me."

"What's not to like. You're cute. You're smart. You're fun to be with. You like to do fun things. And, I think you like me being two spirited."

"I do. Where do you see that going?"

"I'm not sure. I don't know if Nora has any more plans for me. But, I know that being two spirited is important to the tribe. Like White Antelope is the medicine man. But, I got thinking, when I was sitting with you in the hospital the other day, and for some reason I got thinking about going into medicine. Like maybe as a doctor or something."

"Really!"

"Yeah. I know it's a lot of work. But, I've still got a lot of time to decide."

Just then my mom came back with a bag that had 'The Bridal Salon' printed on it. I looked at it, and asked, "Is someone getting married?"

"No honey.", my mom said. "I saw something in that store when we were looking in the window, and had to think about it. But, I decided to get it. Is there anything else you want to see before we head home?"

"Not me. And, I thing Caley is getting tired."

"Me get tired of shopping?", Caley said. "Never. But, you're right. I am getting a little tired."

"Sounds like we're ready to head home.", my mom said.

As we were walking towards were we'd come in, we walked past another store. My mom stopped, and said, "Would you two mind one more stop?"

I looked at Caley, and said, "It's up to you and how you feel?"

"I'm fine.", Caley said.

So, I said, "I guess one more won't hurt. Where?"

"Right here.", my mom said. "You need your own makeup."

"Huh?"

"How much dressing as Little Fawn are you going to do?"

"I don't know."

"Do you think you're going to stop?"

"From what White Antelope has told me. No."

"We shouldn't share makeup. So, you need your own."

We walked into the shop, and looked around. Then one of the clerks approached us and asked if she could help. My mom told her that I needed all new makeup, both day time and night time. The clerk spent some time trying different things on me. By the time the clerk had found what looked good on me, I'd had a good lesson on makeup. And, she left me with a nice daytime look. I left the store with a lot of makeup. And, I felt like I'd spent a small fortune.

After another stop in the ladies room, we picked up our other packages, and headed home. We stopped at a small restaurant on the way home for dinner. Then we dropped Caley off at her house, and I walked with her up to the door. I think we both wanted to kiss each other, but we saw a little pair of eyes watching us. Caley finally said, "See you tomorrow Little Fawn."

I smiled, and said, "See you tomorrow."

When mom and I arrived home, we carried all the packages into the house, and dad saw us. He shook his head, and said, "I see that my two girls have been shopping. How much did this cost me?"

"Not a thing.", my mom said. "We went shopping for Little Fawn and I told her that she was buying everything."

"Good. She needs to learn what things cost."

I said, "Daddy!" There's that daddy again.

"Honey.", mom said to me. "Why don't you take your packages upstairs, and I'll be up in a minute to help you put it all away."

"Okay mom."

As I started up the stairs, I heard my dad ask my mom, "Why the girl look."

Mom answered him with, "He came to me this morning wanting to dress as a girl. This is just part of him being two-spirited. We all need to learn to embrace it like I think Caley has. And, realize that he's going to be her from time to time."

If there was more discussion, I didn't hear it, as I was up in my room. I took everything out of the bags and carefully laid them on my bed. A few minutes later mom came upstairs and started helping me put things away. Then I asked, "Is dad okay with me?"

"Yes, honey.", my mom replied. "Just realize that he has to learn about your two-spirit just like we do.

"To a Native American, a two-spirit person is very special. They have powers that others will never understand. Some can see the future. Some are healers. A two-spirit person sees things through both a man's eyes and a woman's eyes, and their spirits.

"And, you need to realize, that some cultures look at a two-spirit person completely different than we do. Some will shun them, and worse. So, if you are ever away from your people, be careful who you tell that you are two-spirited.

"Your father will eventually learn that you are special. And, become use to your two spirits. It may take some time, but it'll happen. Your friends all understand you, and I think respect you. I know that the tribe is very happy to have another two-spirit person in it. It makes it spiritually strong.

"You are very lucky to have a Guardian Angel like you do. And, I know it must be hard for you to talk with Nora in your dreams. But, she will be good for you.

"I know it's a lot for you, at your age, but it's good that it started now. You will be able to learn a lot. And, I know that there will be times when your female spirit will be strong, and you'll want to look like you do now. I will never have a problem with it, and your father, is a very smart man, and he will learn to accept it."

"Mom.", I said. "You understand this better than I do. And, what you've said, makes me feel good. Thanks."

We set aside part of my closet and my chest of drawers for my girl stuff. I already had the two dance outfits in my closet, and now there was more things.

Then I asked, "Mom. What am I going to do with all of this makeup?"

With a smile, she said, "Wear it."

"Mom!"

"I have a makeup case that you can use. Or, . . . "

"Or, what?"

"We could get you a vanity."

"Ah. . . . I'll take the makeup case."

As mom was walking out of my room, I said, "Mom. I love you."

She turned, smiled, and said, "I love you too Little Fawn."

I did dress as a girl, other than a dancer, and actually went out with my friends, and Caley. My friends treated me the same no matter how I was dressed. Except, that when I was Little Fawn, they treated me more like a girl, and it was like I'd always been a girl. Caley actually had fun giving me makeup lessons. It was fun to be treated as a girl. And, I did this on a regular basis.

 

A walk in the park.

 

A few days after our shopping trip, I was eating breakfast. And, as I was, the phone rang. Mom answered it, and said, "Hello." . . . "Oh. Hi honey. Feeling any better?" . . . "Good. You'll feel better once the cast is off." . . . "Sure. He's right here. Hang on."

Handing me the phone, mom said, "It's Caley." Like I didn't know.

I took the phone, and said, "Thanks mom."

Then into the phone, I said, "Good morning." . . . "Yeah. Sure. What do you want to do?" . . . "Are you sure you want to do that?" . . . "It's not too soon?" . . . "Okay. I'll see you in half an hour." . . . "Me too. Bye."

My mom was looking at me a little puzzled, and asked, "If I'm not being too noisy. What was that all about?"

"It's okay. She wants to go to the park and walk around."

"I see. Are you sure she'll be okay?"

"She said that she needs to face her fears. And, needs to do it soon."

"And, she wants to do it with you?"

"Yeah. I guess she feels safe with me."

"I can understand that. . . . Oh. And, if you want to tell her that you love her. Just do it."

"Huh!?"

With a sly smile, my mom said, "When you said goodbye just now, you said, 'Me too.' I'll bet she had said, 'Love you.' Didn't she?"

I know I blushed.

Then my mom said, "Honey. Don't worry. It's our secret."

Thirty minutes later I was at Caley's house, and after all the hellos, she and I walked to the park hand in hand. As we walked into the park, I asked, "Are you sure you're going to be okay with this?"

She looked at me, and said, "I have to be. I can't let what he did to me control me. I need to get my life back on track, and I want to be able to come to this park, like we did, and have fun. Now just walk with me."

We walked around the main part of the park, then around the swim lake. We then sat at the picnic table that we usually meet our friends at. We sat there quietly for a few minutes. Then without a word, she stood, took my hand, and led me to a spot just outside of the pine forest.

We stood there for a minute, then she said, "This is the place."

"The place?", I asked.

"The place where he grabbed me. I think he was behind that big pine. I ran past here, and just felt someone grab me. I screamed. He put his hand over my mouth, and pulled me into the woods."

She had tears in her eyes. I held her for a while, and then she said, "Take me to the other place."

"The other place?", I asked.

"The place where you rescued me."

"Are you sure you really want to go there?"

"Yes. I really need to do this"

I took her hand, and slowly led her down the trail that ran along the river that he'd followed. We walked slowly, and you could still see the marks from where she had been dragged. When we got to the spot where I'd hit him with the stick I showed her. Then I showed her where he and I had our short fight, and where I left him when I come back to her.

She turned, looked at me, and gave me a long kiss. When we broke the kiss, she looked at me and said, "I owe you everything."

"No you don't.", I said. "I did it because you were in trouble."

"But, how did you know I was in trouble?"

"You know that I had a dream about it."

"I know. Don't you think that Spirit Dancer might know something about us that we don't even know about ourselves?"

"Yes. Don't you?"

"Yes. Take me to where you found him with the cops."

I led her through the thick pines, to where the cops and I had found him. She looked around, pointed to a spot, and asked, "Is that the patch of poison ivy."

"Yeah.", I said, "He was face down in it."

"Serves him right."

Again, she wrapped her arms around my neck, and we shared a long kiss.

We slowly walked, hand in hand, back out of the woods. When we got back to the picnic table, we sat side by side, I looked at her, and asked, "Have you faced your fears?"

"Yes.", she replied.

"And."

"I'm beginning to like being in this park again. And, when I can come here by myself, I'll know for sure that they're gone."

"Please don't do that until you're sure. And, you know I'll be happy to come with you whenever you want."

Just then a couple of our friends showed up, and walked over to us. Caley said, "Hi. Abey. Hi Kayla."

I knew some of our friends had stop over to see Caley when they had found out what had happened to her, and that she'd talked to some of them on the phone. But, this was first time that we'd been together with any of our friends.

"Hi yourself.", Abey said. "Good to see you out. Are you all right?"

"Yeah. I'm fine. I just needed to come back here and face my fears."

Then looking at me, Abey said, "And, you mister super hero. I hear that you beat the crap out of the guy."

"I'm no super hero.", I replied. "I just did what I had to do to save Caley."

"So, how did you know that she was in trouble?"

"I had a dream. And, my Guardian Angel told me that she was in trouble, and then guided me to where she was."

Kayla then said, "If I wasn't related to White Antelope, I'd say you were crazy. But, knowing what a two-spirit person is all about, I know what you're talking about. He's told us about some of the dreams that he's had. And, it's crazy, but there is something to this two-spirit thing.

"And, I've seen him dressed as a woman a few times. You make a believable girl. He doesn't."

"I didn't know you were related to him.", I said. "But, you know. At first I thought it was crazy too. But, the more I dream about Spirit Dancer and the more I learn from White Antelope, the more I know it's real. I guess you just have to believe. But, it's hard having two spirits. Sometimes I'm not sure who I am."

Caley looked at me, smiled, "Honey. Just be who you feel you are."

"Luke.", Abey said. "I'm just beginning to understand the two-spirit thing. It's beginning to make sense to me. And, seeing you at the Pow Wow that time, looking so much like a girl, and even dancing as one. Made me see that there is something to it."

"I feel it was my cousin Spirit Dancer that was guiding me in that dance. The dress was hers, so maybe her spirit was in it.", I said.

Then I asked, "Guys. Do you think I'm gay?"

Caley said, "What did you say?"

"I said, do you think that I'm gay?"

"God no. You're not gay. Why?"

"I just know that a lot of two-spirt people are gay, or lesbians, or something. And, I just wonder how many people think that I'm gay."

Abey asked, "You don't like boys. Do you?"

"No. Not in that way."

Kayla said, "We've all seen you and Caley together, and the way you two look at each other, there's no way that I'd see you being gay."

"The way we look at each other?"

"You two don't hide your feelings very well. It's obvious that you're more than just friends."

Caley and I looked at each other, and I asked, "It is?"

Abey, smiled, and said, "You know it. I think everyone knows that you're a couple."

I looked at Caley, she smiled, and I said, "Yeah. I guess we are. Aren't we?"

Caley moved closer to me, and just said, "Yes."

We talked some more, and some of our other friends showed up, and we basically went through the same thing that we'd had with Abey and Kayla. Except for the gay question.

- End Part 2 -

AttachmentSize
Image icon maiden-doe.gif72.85 KB
up
232 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Having two

spirits guiding us can at times feel pretty strange. Especially when we see things happen either while it is happening or just before something actually does happen!

I don't know if I will ever get used to it.

BTW, great story!

Vivien

Coming t know...

...oneself. What if Luke does discover he's gay? Is he attracted to Caley both as Luke Little Wolf and Little Fawn? Stereo-types that we have grown up with and new things we discover about ourselves can be troubling. I am glad to see he/she is growing. Caley, his Mom and Nora all have very positive impact.

I think a longer conversation with White Antelope is needed.

At the mall Little Fawn was probably in a predominantly white community.

I suspect more challenges are ahead. This is a very good story. Please continue to write this story.

Hugs to both, Jessie C

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

Thank heaven for Nora,

Thank heaven for Nora, watching over Luke/Little Fawn. Having dream warnings of danger and acting them immediately is going to be Little Fawns/Luke's specialty as he/she grows older, I believe. She will save many and definitely earn her two feathers many times over. Janice