Testing Times - Chapter 15 "Pressing Issues"

Printer-friendly version
Testing Times - A Tommy & Tamara Story  

Part
Fifteen

 

"Pressing Issues"

 
Wednesday 29th April
 

"Tammy, the Head wants to see you and John immediately after breakfast."

"I wasn't told yesterday, what's it about?"

"I don't know, but I suggest you get moving?"

"Yes, Mum."

"Don't 'yes mum' like that, Miss Smart."

"Erm, yes, erm, no Mum."

"Angela wants to go in early, can you take her too?"

"Sure."

Once again this enabled Tammy to escape the arrival of the contractors. The guys doing the new lawn had returned on Tuesday to roll it flat, which also helped meld the seams. When she'd returned home after three it looked spectacular, apart from the signage which warned, inevitably, to keep off the grass.

Breakfast in the refectory was uneventful but John was looking pensive, he clearly knew nothing about the Head's request either.

"Tammy, I'm sure we're in trouble."

"John, we've done nothing wrong."

The pair hadn't seen the Head at breakfast so went to his study with Tammy now inheriting John's worry. The school secretary Janet Adams diverted them to the conference room via her office.

"Come in, let me introduce you to our 2015 St Andrews Ambassadors, Mr John Hibbert and Miss Tamara Smart."

The Head asked the pair to take a seat before introducing the rest of those present.

"You, of course, know Mr Davison, Chair of Governors and Mrs McPherson. This is Miss Hilary Bull of Caithness Marine Research and Mr William Younger of Highlands Graphic Productions. Mr Younger produces our annual prospectus and is an old boy."

Tammy remembered a conversation with her PA, Pru, a few days earlier that mentioned a Miss Bull and the reference to the cover story for an intelligence facility certainly piqued her interest.

"Now, Miss Smart and Mr Hibbert, as you may be aware the school prospectus is produced annually in September and October so it can be distributed before Christmas of each year. Obviously in October we did not know that we would be admitting female students into the sixth form for the 2015 to 2016 academic year. Given that the budget for the prospectus had already been used we were concerned how to promote the initial dozen female spaces for the lower sixth that will be available for September. Miss Bull contacted me at the beginning of this week and made a proposition that looked very attractive."

The Head paused to take a sip of water then nodded at Miss Bull, who took over.

"I have offered to sponsor the production of a new school prospectus for the sixth form, including full financial sponsorship for one girl per year initially for the next five years. I'd like Mr Hibbert and Miss Smart involved in the prospectus, plus I would like to offer Miss Smart a role with my new research facility. I understand that Mr Hibbert already has a posting with a firm of solicitors?"

John nodded whilst Tammy beamed, mostly for the benefit of the others present. "Thank you, I would obviously need to discuss details?"

"Certainly, why don't we meet tomorrow morning at the Castletown for coffee at ten? I think Mr Younger needs some of your time too?"

William Younger was up next. "Thank you, I am hoping we can do most of the photography on Friday and the remainder on Tuesday and Wednesday, if that won't interfere with your studies?"

Tammy looked at the Head for confirmation before replying for herself an John.

"Mr Younger, we'll be available from eight thirty each day if necessary."

"Excellent, could I have an email address so the stylist and make-up artist can contact you?"

Tammy reached into her bag and handed over a card. "Ah, organised, I see."

The Head declared the meeting closed and everyone started to leave.

"Miss Smart, Mr Hibbert, could you hold for a moment, my room please?"

The Head was stood with the two governors. "Close the door." He didn't ask them to sit.

"I understand, Miss Smart, that you spent some time working alone with Mr Hibbert yesterday?"

"Yes Sir, building work meant I couldn't work at home, John and I were doing a test paper and needed a quiet space. There simply wasn't anywhere else that was free."

"I see, and I would imagine that everything was above board, but whispers were heard by the staff last night. It is not that you are not trusted, far from it, but we'll need to put a rule in place before September in order to prevent amorous activities and that means setting an example now."

"Yes, Sir."

"Therefore the rule shall be that male dorms will be off-limits to female students and vice-versa. Whether or not students associate off-premises is not relevant, the issue here is one of image over substance."

"Yes, Sir."

"Having said that, I'd imagine that Mr Younger will need photos of a female student in a typical dorm, even though we have not yet built the accommodation. Therefore your former dorm, next to Mr Hibbert's, will be re-designated as a female dorm temporarily and will be redecorated in the next twenty four hours. It is your's to use and the interconnecting door will be unlocked. You can collect your key from Mrs Adams on Friday."

"What about the other students, Sir?"

"It's your room, that's the end of it. Just don't spend the night there, please, that would be a step too far."

Tammy giggled. "Of course, Sir."

"Now, what do you know about Miss Bull?"

"This was the first time I've ever met or spoken to her, Sir, but she did ring my house on Monday and I am the landlord for Caithness Marine Research. Mr Brown is familiar with the organisation and arrives tomorrow as far as I'm aware."

Elsie nodded, "he's staying with me and we'll both be at the first night."

"As will I," added the Head whilst Harry Davison nodded. "I believe we're done? I will issue a notice at lunchtime concerning the room."

Tammy and John left quickly but didn't talk until they reached the common room.

"Tammy, I was expecting a full disciplinary but we got out of it?"

"See, the Head is pretty good at working these things out."

"Okay, but what's going on with this research lot?"

"They are leasing the flat from me as office space. I didn't know anything about the offer before that woman mentioned it and I'm suspicious."

"So would I be, what with an offer like that out of the blue. Is she, like, a spy?"

"How would I know? So far I've dealt with an accountant and a couple of analysts!" Tammy regretted saying this but knew she could trust John. "I'll meet her tomorrow morning. Anyway, I need to get you to the theatre tonight."

"The press night!"

"Yes, what time did Iain say?"

"Half past six."

"Damn, that doesn't give you enough time to eat, you'll have to eat with us, unless you get a better offer?"

"I'll call Sandy, then can you drop me down there? I can't wait to sort out a car, to get my own transport. I'll go pack an overnight bag, I suggest you don't follow me!"

John walked out as James came into the common room, accompanied by one of the lower sixth, Gerry. The younger boy was short for his age, James towered over him.

"Oh dear, Tammy, I'm hearing all sorts of things. It's amazing what a couple of rumours can do! I hear you and John were called in by the Head."

"Want a wager?"

"Why?"

"I bet by the end of today I will not only have free access to the accommodation block but I'll even have my old room back."

"You're on!"

"Twenty."

"Done."

James turned to Gerry, "you see Geraldine, that's twenty she'll owe me and you're the witness!" With that done, James departed, no doubt to spread more news.

"Gerry, has he called you that before?" The boy nodded. "Does anyone else call you that?"

"Only him, but I bet it won't be long before others do."

"When did it start?" Tammy indicated the boy should sit down, having swept her skirt from under as she herself sat, opposite.

"Two weeks ago, when we returned after the Easter break. My mother accidentally packed something of my sister's clothes, I was emptying out my case when James walked past, I usually leave the door to my dorm open."

"Why didn't you just tell him?"

"He won't listen, so I just keep my head down."

"If he's any trouble please tell me or John Hibbert."

"He'll be after you for that twenty later, with me as the witness."

"I wouldn't worry about James, or that twenty pounds, he'll be keeping his own head down by the time the day's out."

"That's easy for you to say."

"Hey, in my lower sixth year I did everything I could to keep out of everyone's way. It was last November when things changed for me, in many different ways."

"Yeah, many different ways." Gerry's head was hung low.

"You can speak to Mrs Small if you wish, what you say to her remains private, most of the time."

"Most of the time?"

"Unless she thought you were unwell, going to hurt yourself, had hurt someone else - that sort of thing. It's called 'duty of care'."

"Who did you speak to, that was before Mrs Small started working here?"

"I was spoken to by a lady called Jill who works at Thurso Hospital, then I found I had lots of friends."

"And a few enemies?"

"Them as well, but they're gone."

"I saw you and John Hibbert outside the Head's office, you looked scared."

"I didn't know what was going to happen, anyway it was only John and me versus five."

"Five?"

"The Head, two governors and two people from outside the school."

"I would have been scared."

"It's fear of the unknown. Look, if you arrange to see Mrs Small and want someone there then John or I will be around."

"Thanks, can I call you Tammy?"

"Everyone else does, just not the lower years, okay?"

"Sure, thank you."

They both stood, Tammy approached and gave Gerry a half hug, holding his shoulders. That was the exact moment that John chose to re-enter the room, carrying his case.

"Put him down, he's too barely out of nappies!" John laughed but Gerry fled.

"John, that was insensitive, he's been bullied by James Hunter since Easter and I think he has some emotional issues; you've just made it worse. I think you can make your own way into town today."

Tammy grabbed her jacket and bag, heading straight for the rear carpark. She wanted to speak to Joan herself but felt Gerry should make the first move, if possible.

It was half past nine when Tammy arrived back, barely two hours since leaving home. All seemed quiet but she checked on Pru first.

"That Miss Bull turned up at the school today, her first name Hilary."

"I'll note that, thanks. I've had a call from a Sophie Grieve, Heather is in hospital and you're not to call her."

"Okay, I guess that does mean not to book my flights yet."

"You can get a flight at short notice so that isn't a problem."

"Anything else?"

"A call from your mother, she's on her way here, she left London this morning by train."

"Damn."

"Your father used slightly stronger language."

"Where is he?"

"Outside, I think."

"Thanks, Pru. Did you speak to my mother?"

"No, your father took the call just as I arrived this morning."

"Any indication where she was?"

"No, it was a mobile number."

"I would ask where she got the house number but she had visited town at the end of January and we're probably in the phone book! I hope she doesn't want to stay here."

"I can guess that wouldn't be easy."

"Correct, can you leave her number on the desk for me? I'd best let Julie know I'm here for lunch."

"Okay, I'll let you know if I hear anything else."

"Thanks Pru."

Once her feeding requirements, including an earlier dinner, had been sorted out Tammy went out the back. In place of yesterday's full skip was now an empty one, most of the excavation work had been completed but it still looked like a hole in the ground rather than a pool.

"Hi Tammy, did you see Pru?"

"Yes, I thought mum would have had more sense?"

"Don't forget, she's lost everything so believes that coming up here will fix her life."

"And destroy our's, Dad?"

"That's an unkind way of looking at it."

"Anyway, I have news about Miss Bull."

"The one who phoned on Monday?"

"Yes. She's connected to Dave Brown's lot and wants to meet me at the hotel in the morning."

"Oh, no-one's mentioned her before."

"No, but she was in a meeting with the Head this morning, Harry and Elsie were also there. She's talking about me working for the Marine Research lot once it's up and running."

"That would give you a good reason to be there."

"I guess so."

"Did you want me to accompany you tomorrow?"

"If you're free."

"We'll see in the morning."

"Thanks, Dad. I'm going up to do some work."

***

Tammy and Angela arrived at the theatre at six fifteen, with Tammy still enjoying the thrill of driving herself there. Tammy slipped into the makeup chair once she had taken off her jacket. Joanne was plainly concerned.

"What did you say to John today?"

"Start me on the easy stuff, please."

"Well he phoned the shop mid-morning and Sandy was just saying he should apologise to you, what was that about? Of course it's half day for her today so he would have to walk from Traill St up to Sandy's house after using the school minibus at lunchtime, but it gets complicated."

"The silly wotsit put his foot in his mouth and upset someone I was just getting through to, now I'm worried for the kid."

"So you left John there?"

"Yes, otherwise I would have brought him into town late morning. What was the complication?"

"Sandy's son David is staying for a few days so there's no bed for John."

"Oh, well, he'll have to go back to school tonight."

Josie, Lori and Tanya arrived almost at the same time. Anything Tanya wanted to say was kept to herself. Gradually each of the girls was made-up and dressed ready for the show, Tammy guessed that something similar was happening in the boys' dressing room. It wasn't long before Sandy Franklin, this evening's stage director, came to check on the girls.

"We have about eighty out there so it's not a full house by any stretch but there's plenty of press and persons of self-appointed importance in the audience. The main thing is to play it as best you can. We don't need any press coverage in order to sell any remaining tickets, we managed that weeks ago, but every little bit of publicity helps, especially for future productions, donations and those important grants. Oh, I've been told we'll do an introduction before the play starts, I'll sort out the order in a minute. When you go out there Iain will give your name, character name and maybe say a few words about you."

The presentation went in an order that seemed to make sense even if it bore no relation to any known list. The witches led the procession, Lori was thankfully described simply as a new member of the theatre company, alongside Josie. Angela had moved from being a lighting technician to acting so that had a special mention.

The rest of the cast were introduced, leaving the principle actors until last, Iain bringing Tammy on from stage right and John from stage left.

"Finally, but by no means least, Macbeth and Lady Macbeth, played by Mr John Hibbert and Miss Tamara Smart. Both were involved in West Side Story last year and stepped up to take lead roles this time round. Like many of our cast members they are about to take their Highers or A Levels and head onto university although we hope to see John and Tamara again in the Autumn."

Tammy caught John's eye but couldn't determine what he was thinking. Before long they were in the green room while the stage was readied forthe first scene. Given the proximity of the green room to the stage, conversations were not allowed. Tammy retreated to the female dressing room as she wasn't needed for a few scenes, Tanya followed.

"John was really pissed at you."

"Tanya, he caused a vulnerable boy to run away just after I said the kid could call on John for support, that makes me look like I don't care."

"You were hugging the boy."

"I was re-assuring him, some good that did."

"He should have gone to Angela's mum."

"I told him to do that but said he could ask me or John to be there, instead John bursts in the room, tries to make a joke and the boy fled. I'm half inclined to drive up to the school now to make sure he's okay."

"And screw the press night?"

"Yes Tanya, I'm concerned what the boy might do."

"Then perhaps you should have stayed and not run away yourself?"

"Maybe, maybe, but he wouldn't be able to get out of school before late afternoon, even then would need a pass."

"Look, John won't tell me what this surprise is?"

"That's for John, and if he wants my help he'd best apologise to me and Gerry."

"Can you take him back to school after we finish? Please? For me?"

"Yes, if he apologises."

Tammy heard Sandy call her.

"Got to go, the public and the press need me."

up
389 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thank you Shiraz,

The "Witches of Macbeth" are not the only ones stirring trouble ,now we have a whole heap of scenarios to keep us guessing but that only makes the story more interesting and intriguing.Very well done ,can't wait for more !

ALISON

No Conspiracies This Time...

I don't believe there's anything in this chapter that wasn't straightforward, unless Tammy's mother has fallen in with yet another bad crowd. Nothing for either me or Tammy to second-guess. (OK, I guess the spy thing isn't straightforward, exactly, and maybe Lori appearing in Macbeth, but that's all old news to us and to Tammy.)

Eric

The plot thickens!

D. Eden's picture

Tammy being offered a job by the security services, having her picture placed in the prospectus, another potentially transgendered student - or perhaps just a small young man being harassed, John making an ass of himself, Tanya sticking her nose into things again......

Peyton Place in Thurso????

Soooooo looking forward to more!

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Teenagers!!!

joannebarbarella's picture

Insensitive and unforgiving!

John

will apologize, I'm sure. It was bad timing. I've had times things fell out my mouth that sounded much better in my head.

As for Tammy's mom, trouble has come to town!

Trouble, thy name is Mom.

WillowD's picture

Or is it Tamara? I think I'll go with Mom. Tamara is very good and finding and handling trouble. Mom generates it.

Hearsay is gospel

Jamie Lee's picture

A habit has developed at that school, over the years, where it's acceptable to run down the lower form boys. To treat them with disrespect but demand that the upper form boys are respected. What hypocrisy! If a person wants to be respected then they must give respect, otherwise it's nothing more than bullying. Because Gerry is younger, and smaller, he knows James could hurt him should he make a fuss because of the name James uses to address Gerry.

Tammy or John, on the other hand, could pull James up short because of his treatment of Gerry. If they did it might also make it worse for Gerry.

Since James isn't in the real world yet, he doesn't realize that what goes around comes around. When he gets out from the protection of the school walls, his attitude may come back to haunt him or the tables may turn by him being a new hire.

Like usual, a joke was attempted before all information was known. John should have accessed the scene before saying anything. And, Tammy overreacted, again, by getting angry with John. She gave her word to take him into town so she should have honored her word.

Tanya, as usual, isn't there to witness the events first hand, but believes everything she is told. And as usual, believes it's her place to make an issue of something she is ignorant of.

All of this getting only second hand information is going to but them all in the butt one day. And may cause more than a few ruffled feathers.

Why is it when Tammy says what everyone is thinking, she's being cruel. Are these people so high brow they can't tolerate the truth when it's said?

Tara is once again putting herself and family in Thurso in jeopardy by coming to Thurso. If she's still being hunted Thurso IS the first place they will look. Hope the grounds keeper got his shotgun back.

Others have feelings too.