Badasses Of the Multiverse: Book 5: Volume 1: Chapter 01

Printer-friendly version

Badasses Of the Multiverse Book 5: “The Gambling Man.”

Volume 1: “De La Plata Podrido.”

Chapter 01: “Falling Hammers.”

By Paul Cousins.

Copyright Disclaimer: All copyrighted places, characters, items, and events, within the story, are held by their current owners. No profit is being made on this work of fiction.

(_)

A few lyrics of “The Gambler” song, from 1978. “The Gambler” song is owned by United Artists, writing by Don Schlitz, sung by Kenny Rogers.
“You got to know when to hold them.”
“Know when to fold'em.”
“Know when to walk away.”
“Know when to run.”

Truer words were never spoken.

(_)

Reality, An Alternate Earth. Date, early twenty-first century, early autumn. Place, Southeastern United States. Time, in the afternoon.

Inside a doctor's office, a neither young, nor old, tall, fair skin man was sitting in chair, waiting for the results of his medical tests. Among other things, he had on a t-shirt, jeans, a leather belt, and tennis shoes.

He had been waiting in the office for over twenty minutes, according to the digital watch, on his wrist.

Just then, the doctor walked into the office, and shut the door behind him. The doctor then sat down, in his desk chair, in front of the man. With nothing between them.

The doctor has a closed manila folder in his right hand, as he looked at the man.

The man looked back at the doctor, as the man asked, “So, what are the results for my sudden weight loss?” He mentally added, 'I know this is going to be bad news. I never get good news in my life.'

The doctor answered, “You have cancer.” The doctor then pulled out a small piece of paper and pen. He used the outside of the manila folder as backing, to write down something, as he stated, “The name for the cancer is quite long. But, it basically means with treatment, you can live up to two or three more years. Though, given how early we caught this, five years would not be impossible to reach for you.”

When the doctor finished writing one the piece of paper, he put up his pen. He then handed the piece of paper to the man.

The man took the piece of paper, and looked at the name. After which, he pocketed the piece of paper.

The man thought, 'I will look up the name one the internet, for later research. Though, that does not mean much, since I am next to broke. So, let's see how bad this news really is.'

The man said, “Thank you. Still, I don't have the money for treatments. So, how long do I got without medical intervention?”

The doctor stated, “Six months. Maybe less.”

The man inquired, “What should I expect?”

The doctor explained, “The good news is you have time. You have around six months to left. It is good that you were bit overweight before this. And you noticed your sudden weight loss of the course of a few weeks. We caught this early. But, without treatments, you have about six months to live. Basically, you will slowly lose weight, and waste away, until the you die.”

The man commented, “So, towards the end, I will become a living skeleton? I have seen that first hand. It is not pretty.”

The doctor stated, “No. It isn't. And that is what is going to happen to you.”

The man asked, “Anything else?”

The doctor said, “Yes. Towards the end, you energy will drop out, and you will find yourself tired all the time. To the point that you will be unable to leave you bed, and someone will have to take care of you.”

The man stood up from chair. He looked down at the doctor, whom was still sitting in his chair. The man said, in a calm tone of voice that set the doctor on edge, “Fine. There are worse ways to go.”

The doctor offered, “Given the seriousness of the diagnosis. I would understand if you wanted a second opinion. I could recommend some doctors to refer you too. Or, I would refer you to a specific doctor you might want to see.”

The man responded, “No. That will not be necessary. You have been a family friend, for years. I believe you.”

The man thought, 'Given the sudden weight lose, it can only be cancer, or something worse. Like my digestive track is shutting down. Which is not treatable, and it would kill me even sooner. No. I will just deal with the cancer.'

The doctor inquired, “What are you going to do, now?”

The man flatly answered, “I will settle my bill at receptionist desk, leave the building, and use what time I have left to the best of my abilities.”

He then turned to the door. He opened the door, and left office. With him leaving the door open behind him.

Ten minutes later, after the man paid cash for the doctors visit, he exited the building, got into his vehicle, and drove home.

Within five minutes, the man reached his family home. He drove into the driveway of the home, and parked his vehicle. He got out, locked his vehicle, and walked around his family house, to reach the post box by the street.

The mail did not usually come for a few more hours, but the man needed to do something to take his mind off of his problems. And doing such a small chore was like a few drops of water to a parched man, in need to something to drink.

The man soon reached the mailbox. As he opened the mailbox, he saw only a large, sealed envelope inside.

The man pulled out the envelope, and looked at it. He noted that the envelope had his name on it, in print. But, the envelope did not have any address, nor stamp on it.

He thought, 'Someone must have just dropped this directly into my mailbox. Not a wise idea. But, I got nothing better than to see what it inside. What is the worst that can happen? I am poisoned, and die a much quicker, merciful death that what I am already facing.'

He held the envelop his left hand, as he walked to the front door. When he reached the front door, he pulled out his keys, with his right hand, and he selected the key, from his key chain in his right hand, that he needed to unlocked the front door.

After unlocking the front door to his home. He opened it, walked inside, and shut the door behind him. As he pocketed his keys, he soon realized that he was the only one in the house.

He kept the envelope in his left hand, as he walked into the family living room, and sat down in a cushioned chair, behind the family coffee table. Behind the coffee table, on the opposite side the cushioned chair, was the family's large, wall mounted, flat screen TV. And to the sides of the coffee table, were couches, and small tables with lamps on them.

As he leaned back in the chair, he put the envelope in his lap.

The man thought, 'Given the circumstances of my life, I have tried to be as honest, and responsible as I can. I kept my nose clean. Never got in trouble with the law. I don't even have so much as a parking ticket. Never did any illegal drugs. Never smoked a day in my life. I rarely, ever touched alcohol. I have even started avoiding the fired foods and soda. And as I am now dying, what do I have to show for my life?'

'No friends. No girlfriend. No children. No job. No life. No money. No future. Living with my parents... I am a total loser.'

'At least I wrote that story. Which I finished posting a few months ago. To a website I enjoyed visiting. I possibly mildly entertained a few people. So, my life wasn't a total waste.'

He then leaned up, picked up the envelope. He opened it, as he continued his thoughts, 'And writing that series, Badasses Of the Multiverse, was pretty fun. I got a lot of laughs, and enjoyment, in doing so.'

He then dumped the contents of the envelope onto the coffee table in front of him.

What he saw inside surprised him.

There were three items that spilled onto the coffee table.

The man then looked into the envelope, and he found nothing else inside. He crush the envelope and threw it in a small trash can, which was by the chair he was sitting in, to the man's left side.

The man then looked at the three items on the table.

The first thing he looked at was a small business card.

As he picked it up, he saw that the text on the front of the card was in both spanish, and english.

The man did not know spanish, but he knew english, very well.

The english part read, 'Devil's Hotel and Resort.' Along with the hotel's address and phone number.

He mentally asked, 'Who would go to a hotel name, the Devil's Hotel?'

He set the card back down, and he picked up the second item. It was a folded piece of paper. He unfolded the paper to see that it was a flier for a the reopening of a bar.

Like the business card, the flier was in both spanish and englist text. The bar was called, The Rats Nest. And it listed the bar's address and phone number.

The man then noticed that both the card and flier addresses were located in the same city, in Mexico.

The man folded the flier back up, and he set it by the business card.

The man also check the business card, flier, and envelop itself, again. He then thought, with mild curiosity, 'There are no dates on any of these items... Interesting... Now, what is this, that came with these items?'

He then looked at the third and most mysterious item, as he picked it up, to get a close little at it.

It was a small gold ring, with small jewels lining the outside of it. The ring was too tiny for his fingers.

He thought, 'This ring is even too small for an adult's finger. It looks like it was made for a small child's finger. How odd. Still, I wonder if this is a joke. If not, I will have to look into more information on these items, later. I think it best I keep them close to me, as well.”

He then collected all three items, put them together, and into his left front pants pocket.

He thought, in a melancholy mood, 'Not that it really matters. I am dying. Though, drying is a wonderful excuse to go on my very first pub crawl. And a lot of other experiences I always want to do, but was worried I might die, or worse, if I did. Now, what is the worst that can happen. I die. I am dying already. So, why not? I think I will.'

Next, he picked up the remote off the coffee table, as he thought, 'But, that is for later. In a few hours. Right now, I need to decompress on what I have just found out. So, let's see what is on TV.'

He then turned on the TV, and set the TV to a news station.

Suddenly he saw the last person he ever expected to see on TV. Or, anywhere in reality, in live action, or any visual format, outside of text.

He quickly switched through the channels, as he thought, with worry, 'This has got to be some sort of sick, twisted joke.'

As he flipped through the channels, he saw the same person on all the channels, doing the same thing, at the same time. With the video feeds all clearly links to one broadcast.

He thought, 'No. It cannot be a joke. No one personally knows I wrote those stories. And someone had to have hacked the satellite communications systems, in real time. Only, a person with resources could do this. Oh man. No matter how this works out. This going to turn up a hornets nest, leading right to my doorstep.'

'And I thought finding out I was dying of cancer was the worst news I would get today. It is looking like I won't have to worry about the cancer killing me, because this could blow up in my face.'

On the screen was a young, fair skinned woman, with short white hair. That was not the giveaway.

The giveaway was the background, and the woman's outfit.

The first was the background was a red tarp with a symbol on it. It looked like the Soviet, Beat the Whites with the Red Wedge, symbol.

The man thought in denial, 'No. No. No. No. This is not happening.'

The second was the woman's outfit. It was very familiar black armor, fitted to her slender form, while having nothing mask above the woman's neckline, reveal her pretty face and short white head of hair.

Also, the woman had been speaking chinese and then she switch to french. Unfortunately, the man did not know either language.

The man thought in disbelief, “That is Scorpius. And not just any Scorpius, the one I wrote about. The one I changed into a healthy Sebacean woman. The one I put in change of her realities Peacekeepers Forces. And in book four, I gave her multiversal hyperspace gate technology... I think I just inadvertently fucked over my own planet.'

'But, that is not possible... Though, I guess it could be possible, considering I played with almost every imaginable twist and turn one can do with multiverse traveling, and technology for such traveling.'

'I have always been slightly precognitive. But, to think that my imagination may have cracked reality is both a wild, and very, very scary thought. So, what am I going to do now?'

'Too bad I don't know what she is saying. And I don't have time for her to get to english. I have to get out of here, now.'

'I have got to go, while I still can. Because eventually, all the major players are going to figure out what is going on.'

'To paraphrase Thompson. My only chance is that the very idea of the situation is so excessive that those in authority could not possibly believe it. And it will take time for those in authority to admit the truth, to even get the ball rolling on dropping the hammer on me.'

'Fictional characters, that are from multiple fictional realities, coming into real life is going to take a little bit of getting use to, before they even try to track down the writer of this insanity. Me.'

'Fortunately, in dealing with my stories, I always used a VPN, an alias e-mail address, and I never used my real name, nor did I state any background information about myself. So, it will take a little time, for them to connect the dots to me. But, not much. Once the authorities put the pieces together, it will on be a matter of hours until they get me.'

'So, I have no time. I need to get what I here. While leaving a note with my family. Then, I have to leave.'

'What I need to get is my savings. My money. Fortunately, I never trusted banks, and except for a little bit for my debit account, I keep the rest in cash on hand. In hidden locations in my home.'

'It is not a lot. Nowhere near enough to treat my cancer. But, it will get me what I am going, with a little extra, to buy me time, until I figure out what to do.'

'Still, where do I go?... Of course. Mexico. The package I got it tied to this. And even if it is a trap. It is my only real option. And my only real lead to this mess. Canada is too far. And I have clues with the business card and flier...'

The man then realized, as he mentally reflected, with concern, and a bit of dread, 'Somebody already found me. But, instead of capturing me, they left me clues. And a direction to go. They are clearly trying to help me. Like in the movie, Total Recall. Only, they did not give me any money. Then again, money is traceable.'

'And now that I think about it. That is a bad example. Considering Hauser betrayed Quaid and Melina. Yet, I am not looking a gift horse in the mouth. These are the only leads I got. And I will keep these three items with me, until I figure out what is going on.'

'Luckily, my passport is currently valid. And it is here in my home. I also have enough money to live on, in Mexico, for a few months. Which gives me time to come up with a better plan.'

'What else am I going to need? Some pairs of clothing. A razor. A cloth. A comb. That should be it. Also, I should leave my cellphone here. That is a real quick way of getting traced. Fortunately, my vehicle does not have a GPS system on it.'

'And I should not bring any weapons with me. Not even my pocket knife. Even though it is a dangerous place, having those items will only get me into legal troubles...'

'Besides, being shot dead in a mugging is a lot better death than from the cancer that is slowly eating away at me. Or, being caught by those after me.'

'Though, I am keeping my nail clippers, and disposable lighter.'

'Still, how will I get across the border without them taking too close a look at me?... That's it. But, that plan will only work if I am traveling light.'

'Having to buy some supplies, soon after crossing the border, will eat some of my savings. But, it will be worth it, if I can get across the border without a problem. And if I am right, no one will expect I am trying to escape to Mexico. As long as I give that excuse. The only question is, can I make it to be border, before the hammer finally drops on me. And I am reported to the border patrol.'

He turned off the tv with the remote in his hand. He then tossed the remote onto the coffee table.

He got out from his seat, as he thought, 'Now, I just need to get my items, and get that note written. It will have to be a short note, and then I need to leave. Though, I wonder what this city, De La Plata Podrido, is like. I don't even know what that spanish name means.'

The man then went to retrieve the items in his home, that he needed.

Twenty minutes later, he had a couple of changes of clothing, and a few other items, for his trip. He had his money, in his now thick wallet, in his right side pocket. Though, his wallet was still thin enough to fold.

And had his passport beside his wallet, in his right side pocket.

He thought, 'If they do search me. The last place they would look for money on me, would be my wallet. And it is the obvious place one would put it.'

'And my wallet is a nice mix of ones, fives, tens, twenties, and hundreds. If I had all hundreds, and I was searched. Questions would be asked.'

'And I can also use the excuse that I was just planning to go shopping while down there. Such as something nice for me family.'

'In such a position, I will even ask what the duties fees for items such as clothing, and jewelry are. To make everything appear legitimate.'

'Now, to leave the note, I wrote.'

The man then headed picked up the piece of paper he wrote the note on. He headed to the kitchen table. He set the note on the table, and place both the salt and pepper shakers on top of it, so it would not move. He then finished getting ready to leave.

The note read.

Hello family,

I cannot explain what is going on. All I can say is that I have recently realized that the reason crazy and badass are associated with each other is that no one sane messes with members of either group. Now, I have learned that I have inadvertently angered people that would fall in both categories. I have to leave, before they find me.

Do not call the police about me. It will only make things worse for everyone involved. And if strange women, or men, ever come to you, asking about me. Or, looking for me. Be completely honest with them. And cooperate with them, to your fullest. With you answering any question they have about me.

I hope you all lead good lives.

Goodbye.

At the bottom was the man's signature, in his real name.

Two minutes later, after a quick bathroom break, they man retrieve a bottle of water, collected his belongings, and left for his vehicle. With him locking the door he used to exit the home, behind him.

A minute later, he was in the vehicle, with his items. Half a minute later, he was on the road, with his seatbelt on.

Five minutes later, of driving. He reached a gas station on his way out of town, towards the west. He filled up his vehicle's gas tank, walked into the store, paid for the gas in cash, along with an interstate map, and he then left the store.

He then got back into his vehicle.

Next, he put on his seatbelt.

As he started his vehicle, he thought, 'Now, it is a race to see if I can get out of the county, before the hammer comes down on me. And using a vehicle is the safest method. Bus, plane, and boat are heavily monitored by the state. And they all were too isolated. If things immediately went south... This is going to be a long few days.'

He then drove out of town, at the speed limit. So, he would not be stopped by any of the police.

(_)

Later on, as he drove his car onto the interstate, in the direction of the border, the man mentally reflected, 'On this trip, it has occurred to me, that I need to take a few more precautions. I need a disguise, and an alias.'

'I have a few simple ideas on the disguise. All it is will be a few minor changes. Now, the alias. What should I got by? It has to be a broad name. Something that came be used both as a first, middle, and last name. A gender neutral name. But, one that I can live with. It also can be used by different races, including my own. And it is tied to my heritage... I know. Lee. Ya, Lee will do. How about, J.D. Lee. As in John Doe Lee.'

Lee cracked a grin, as he continued his thoughts, 'Yea. J.D. Lee also goes along with my sense of humor. And I will just tell people my name is, Lee.'

'Now, to see what is on the radio. I hope it is not a report of an alien invasion. But, I would like to know more about the details of that message.'

Lee continued down the road, as he turned on his radio, and set the tuner to a talk radio station.

(_)

Over the next two and a half days, Lee travel around fifteen hundred miles. He took three, four hour long naps in the front, drivers seat. With Lee using the alarm function on his digital clock to wake up.

He took these naps, so he would not fall asleep at the wheel. He also had several cups of coffee on the road, a few gasoline refuels, a few meals to go, and some restroom trips. He was currently in south Texas, on a sunny fall morning, as he headed on the interstate, for the south tip of the state, and its border with Mexico.

Lee was currently driving through Brownsville, Texas, on the interstate. Which was almost to the very south tip of Texas.

During those few days of travel, Lee kept the radio on the talk radio channels, for the most part. It seemed that that the broadcast was a simple, one sentence recording, which was looped for about six hours on all TV channels, and most radios stations.

The message was, in english, with Scorpius stating, “We want the writer.” And the message repeated that request in several languages, before repeating the loop, by stating the same message in english.

And there were no reports of planetary invasion by an alien military.

While Lee drove down the interstate, he thought, 'Given both internal, and foreign, issues, currently happening. It seems the various governments did not mind the media talking about this. Mainly because it was not their fault, and it distracted the people from other matters. The government here is even spinning the communications breech as justification for more spending on intelligent agencies... The figures.'

'Also, the message is a simple, as it is brilliant. That message was solely intended for me. To flush me out. And it worked, and got me running.'

'If Scorpius has been any more detailed, the local authorities would likely already figured out it was me, and caught me. So, the message had to be direct, but vague, and mysterious.'

'The person, outfit, background, and message, was enough to let me know they were after me. That was the entire point. I doubt even my readers would fully believe what happened. And I don't dare check the message boards I use, because everything is monitored, and recorded.'

'That being said. It is not surprising there are no reports of an alien invasion. Scorpius realizes that if she launched a planetary invasion, I might get killed in the crossfire. Given Scorpius' nature, I would guess Scorpius is not going to send any of her agents after me. Because, I pretty much gave her everything she ever wanted. Health, power, respect, at a level she was unable to accomplish on her own.'

'No. It is the other women in my series that want my head. Such as Violin, Aeryn, the Lagoon women. The list goes on, and on.'

'And by women, I mean those that were originally women, and the gender bent men I messed with, in my stories. And there are a lot of them. And they are all dangerous. And I am an idiot for messing with them like that.'

'In addition, that is not counting the none gender bent men, whom would likely want my hide, as well. Though, that is a much shorter list, and they do not usually run with the group connected to Scorpius. So, that means the women will like be after me, for now.'

'And Scorpius did the broadcast, and hacking of the communications systems, as a favor to Violin.'

'Besides, coming after me would get a lot of her forces needlessly killed. Plus, she doesn't want to rule this planet of lunatics and dreamers. And destroying any Earth would annoy Violin, and the other women she is doing this favor for.'

'Taking all this into consideration, I am guessing the women want to do this discreetly. Which is good for everyone involved. Though, that still means some of the most dangerous women in the multiverse coming after me. This is serious. But, it is a lot better than a planetary invasion on my account.'

'If there was a planetary invasion, I would surrender myself, immediately. I could write that off as a heroes sacrifice, and make sure they are able to torture me, before I die. To make sure they sated their vengeance on me, and not my homeworld.'

'Though, after everything I have given Scorpius, I don't think I will have to worry about her. The others, yes. But, not her.'

'Still, them finding me is going to be difficult. I used aliases, and VPNs, when I used the internet. That is probably why they cannot use their reality devices to just show up on my door step. They don't know who I am, what I look like, nor where I am from. As far as a reality device is concerned, my alias is more connect to the proxy servers I use, than myself.'

'And since most computers, on the planet, have firewalls and anti-virus programs of different types. Even if they hacked the internet, looking for me, it would take time to put the pieces together.'

'Though, since they are clearly doing this in secret, they know that doing such hacking would attract the wrong kind of attention from the local authorities. So, they won't try to hack the internet for the information. Except may simple IP tracing directly from the website servers I posted on. But, the VPN would cause problems with that. Still, I can use that in my advantage, when I get ready for them.'

'Also, they might look in the U.S. midwest, where I set Bob's origins at. When, I am from the southeastern U.S. Making it so that Bob was from the midwest was an intelligent move on my part.'

'Still, someone is going to get me if I don't get out of the country, right now.'

Lee then saw the sign that said the mexican border was a few miles ahead.

He thought, 'Good. I am almost to the border. Time to park and change clothes, one more time.'

He pulled off the interstate, and to a small outlet mall.

Lee parked away from the other cars, in the middle of the parking lot. He turned off his vehicle, and he left the keys in the ignition.

He then pulled out a set of fresh clothing.

He thought, 'Last pair of clean clothing I brought with me. Too bad I cannot take my clothing with me. But, with my plan, doing so would raise suspicions if I did. And this clean clothing will help hide my body oder. Still, I am also going to have to shave before I leave the parking lot. And fortunately, I have a fresh, unopened bottle of water. Which I bought, to wet my face with.'

'And I don't have any bathroom issues. I took a pee break half an hour ago. And other issues were taking care of earlier today.'

Lee then moved to the front passenger side of the vehicle, for more room.

Lee then quickly changed his clothing. Fresh underwear, socks, t-shirt, and pants. Next, he looped his belt through his clean pair of pants, put back on his shoes, and tied them. Afterward, he pulled out his items that were in his old pants, and put them into his new pants. These items including a handkerchief, nail clippers, disposable lighter, passport, a little loose change, and his wallet.

He had put the Devil's Hotel business card, and the folded Rats Nest flier into his wallet, with his money.

Also, during his traveling, he bought a string, and looped his mysterious ring, into a necklace, which was hidden under his shirt.

He then pulled out his razor, comb, a clean cloth, and a few, unopened bottle of water.

Lee thought, 'Too bad it is too much trouble to use shave cream in here. Nor, do I have access to warm water. I just have to be careful not to get any serious nicks.'

Lee then used the water to wet his face, and he moved over to the passenger side of the front seat to use the vanity mirror to shave. A couple of minutes later, he finished shaving. He dampened his clean cloth with the water, and wipes his face. He found that he has no serious nicks on his face. He then used the bottle from the water to wet his hair, so he could comb and set it.

When he was finished, he capped the bottle and put it away. Tossed the razor, and cloth into the backseat of the vehicle. And he put his comb into his pocket.

Finally, Lee moved back over to the driver's side of his vehicle.

He started the vehicle, drove out of the parking lot, and back onto the interstate, as he headed for the U.S. border with Mexico.

When Lee reached the border, he parked his vehicle in nearby parking lot.

After he turned off the vehicle. He just sat there, staring into space for a minute, as he realized he was about to do something both necessary, and incredibly stupid.

Lee thought, 'The sad fact is that no one can help me with this. I have to do this myself. And this is very risky. I will likely end up dead, or worse. But sometimes, a person just has to roll the dice, and see what happens.'

He then got out of his vehicle. He left the keys in the glove box, and the vehicle unlocked.

Lee thought, 'It is not like I am going to need the keys. And if someone takes the vehicle, they might throw the authorities off my scent, for a little while. Buying me more time, as I escape.'

Lee then headed towards the pedestrian line for the border check point.

It took him about five minutes to reach the pedestrian line for the border check point.

Given it was the mid-morning, on a weekday, the line was not very long.

Half an hour later, he made it to the U.S. border checkpoint.

As he presented the U.S. border agent his passport, the agent asked, “So, what is your business in Mexico?”

Lee calmly answered, so his lie was more believable, “I am visiting relatives in Brownsville, and I decided to take a day trip.”

As the agent looked at Lee's passport, he casually said, “Well, have fun, and be careful.”

Lee honestly replied, “Thank you. I will. And I hope you have a good day too.”

The agent stamped Lee's passport, and closed it.

As the agent handed Lee back his passport, he smiled, while he said, “I appreciate that. You can go on through.”

Lee gently took his passport, and slid it into his pocket. He then walked into the border zone between the U.S. and Mexico. With him getting into the pedestrian line for the Mexican border checkpoint

Half an hour later, Lee made it through the Mexican border checkpoint, and he was currently in Matamoros, Tamaulipas.

Lee then went into a nearby tourist section, and bought an english map of Mexico. Which folded, and put into a pocket.

He then found a restroom, to pee.

As Lee walked out of the restroom, he began to walk through the crowd of people. And as he look out, among the crowds, for a split second, he thought he caught sight of a fair skinned woman, with long red hair, in the distance.

Lee forced himself to remain calm has he turned away from that direction. He continued to casually walking, as he thought, 'Oh hell!... Could it be one of them?... I hope not. And just to make sure, I better get out of here.'

Soon after, he was able to find a mexican taxi driver that spoke english.

As he got into the back of the taxi, the driver asked, “So, where to?”

Lee answered, “I am not sure where it is exactly. If it is too far, let me know how far you can take me in the direction I want to go.”

The driver replied, “Okay. So, again, where to?”

Lee said, “I am trying to get to the Devil's Hotel, in De La Plata Podrido.”

The driver laughed, for a few seconds.

Lee inquired, “Dare I ask why you are laughing?”

As the driver calmed down, the driver answered, in an amused tone of voice, “This one wants to go hell, and he doesn't even know it. Still, you want to go there?”

Lee thought, 'More like hell is ten steps behind me.' He said, “Yes. Can you get me there? If so, how long will it take you?”

The driver stated, “I can get you there in three hours. ”

Lee questioned, “Good. So, how much?”

The driver stated, “Two hundred, U.S.”

Lee pulled out his wallet, and pulled a fifty from it. He handed it to the driver, as he said, “Fifty now. The rest, when get me there.”

As the driver took the fifty, he replied, “Fair enough.” The driver then turned to face in front of him, as he put his taxi in gear.

Lee inquired, “So, what is the city we are heading to like?”

The driver answered, “It is an island city, with a very colorful history. And we got plenty of time to talk about. Now, buckle up. The roads and drivers in my county can be dangerous. And the police can be worse. I know how to avoid all those problems. And I have yet to lose a customer, while in my cab.”

Lee buckled his belt, as he replied, “Glad to hear it.”

While the taxi driver kept his eyes on the road, he asked, “Since we are going be together for a while, what is your name?”

Lee answered, “Lee. Yours?”

The driver answered, “Vincent.”

(_)

Two and a half hours later, a fax came into the U.S. border checkpoint between Brownsville, Texas to Matamoros, Tamaulipas.

The fax had a picture of Lee's face, and it stated that he was wanted for questioning as a material witness, for various crimes.

Though, by then, Lee was long gone, and far into Mexico.

(_)

About that time, during the sunny day, Lee was still inside the backseat of the taxi. And he saw that he and the taxi driver, were driving on the highway paralleling the coastline.

Lee and Vincent has been talking over casual stuff for the last couple of hours. And Lee has been able to keep himself awake for the time being.

Presently, Lee had the mexican map he bought open, as he was trying to locate the city, De La Plata Podrido.

After ten minutes of not finding it, he folded his map back up, and put it into one of his pants pockets.

Lee asked, “By the way, why cannot I find De La Plata Podrido on the map?”

Vincent was in the front driver's seat. He kept his eyes on the road, as he drove, while he replied, “That is become it is not on any map. That is part of the colorful history of Plata Podrido.”

Lee requested, “You might as well tell me. We got nothing better to do.”

Vincent admitted, “You are correct about that. Well, the name of the city, in english means, Of The Rotten Silver.”

Lee thought, 'This is not good.'

Vincent continued, “Plata Podrido was originally a landfill on a sandbar. The landfill was began in nineteen o three, by the nearby coastal cities of Tamailipas. Over time it became an island. And by the nineteen sixties, it was a large island. At that time, the island was over ten miles wide, from east to west. And was over twenty miles long, from north to south. Of course, the island has likely increased in size, since then.”

Lee sarcastically thought, 'Great. I am going to city literally build on a garbage dump. If I didn't have cancer, I would be worried about my long term health.'

Vincent continued, “In the early nineteen sixties, someone got the idea to try to development the unnamed island. The person spent a large fortune dumping ten feet of top soil over the entire island. This took years. He also added plants on top. And while the development plans fell through, the plants, bushes, and trees, did somehow survive and thrive.”

Lee mentally admitted, 'Okay. This sounds better than I thought. In many cases, ten feet of soil is a good barrier.”

Vincent continued, “Along with this. Over the years, the constant tides, currents, and storms, have added quiet a nice beach around the island. And the locals try hard to keep their beach clean. Also, the underground garbage piles only start several feet passed the dirt. Long after you pass the beach. And the garage is several feet underground. So, you would have to dig down to find it.”

Lee thought, 'So, they have a beach there, that is natural and clean. Even though it is not beach season here, it is nice to know that there are some naturally clean places on that island, to spend time at.'

Vincent continued, “With soil, trees, and plants there, by the early nineteen seventies, some of the poor, from parts of the region, started moving there to live. Then, the drug trade took off in the late seventies and early eighties. And the island became a natural staging point, for smuggling, between latin america and the U.S.”

Lee mentally wondered, 'Why do illegal drugs always seem to come into play in these situations?'

Vincent continued, “At the same time, the cold war went into high gear in latin america. Such wars had few winners, and mostly losers. Those that lost, and were hunted, followed the drug trade to the island, where found the place to be a safe haven.”

“Everyone from business owners that lost everything, due to either war, or political upheaval. To soldiers and rebels that either lost their wars, or got tired of fighting. All types have fled, and come to call the island their new home.”

Lee thought, 'Meaning that for over the last three decades, Plata Podrido has attracted badasses, from all over the world, whom are looking for a more quiet life. If I want to continue breathing, I am going to have to be very polite to those that live in that city. Still, that also means that the violent crime is not insanely high there, because a thief might get their neck broke if they try to mug the wrong person.'

'And those after me will have to be on their toes as well. Unless than want to attract attention that even they might not be able to handle.'

Vincent continued, “During the mid nineteen eighties, due to the population growth, the local state of Tamaulipas put in place semi-legitimate government and services. Water pipes, power-lines, sewer lines, waste treatment plants, phone lines, a hospital, a fire department, a school were put in place by the government. The water for the city from a desalination plant, pulled directly from the sea. And it safe to drink. Even for those outside of the county. And the waste treatment plant is on the opposite side of the island, from the desalination plant.”

Lee thought, 'Those are major pluses. And I was worried about the water ice. I am still not going to drink from the tap. Though, that is now a minor issue.'

Vincent continued, “The reason the state officials did this was simple. They were getting good bribe money from the drug trade, and they did not want to ruin their gravy train. Also, the island was isolated, and what went through there, did not go through other cities. Which brought in tourist revenue was up in those cities, due to less crime. Though, the Plata Podrio gets some tourism. Such as yourself.”

Lee thought, 'I am less of a tourist, and more of a person on the run.'

Vincent continued, “At the national level, officially, the Mexican government, considers the island to be no mans land. For them it is an environmental and political embarrassment. That is why it is not on any map.”

Lee thought, 'That makes sense on a few levels. If the island does not technically exist on a map, then it also offers plausible deniability for the Mexican government.'

Vincent continued, “As long as things stay quiet, and the bribes flow to the national officials, the Mexican government will not send in the military in to destroy the city.”

Lee mentally worried, 'I might be the proverbial match stick, to the powder keg that is Plata Podrido. I hope not. I have nothing against the people there.'

Vincent continued, “Given the no mans land status of the island, the city on the island is one of the few places where the Mexican government looks the other way, and ignores their ultra strict immigration laws. Thus, allowing foreigners to live their with little worries from the law, as long as they behave.”

Lee thought, 'So, that is one of the major reasons the badasses that came to the city would stay there. And with so many foreigners, it will make it easier for me to hide there.'

Vincent continued, “The police are more lazy than corrupt. They only enforce the law when someone makes a mess of things.”

Lee thought, 'This is very good. Such police are usually lazy until the shit hits the fan. I am the type of person that does not have to worry about such police, because I am polite, and I keep my nose out of trouble. On the other hand, most of those after me are troublemakers. And if I play my cards right, I might be able to use a situation that could develop from such circumstances to my advantage.'

Vincent continued, “Rumor has it. There are many armed people in the city.”

Lee mentally reflected, 'That is would be obvious. Given everything else you just told me about the city.'

Vincent continued, “And most people there speak both spanish and english. And some even speak other languages. So, the language barrier there, for you, should not be too bad.”

Lee spoke up, “That is great to hear.” He mentally considered, 'After hearing all that, I think I might enjoy the time I am planning to spend in Plata Podrido.'

Vincent asked, “So, what do you think?”

Lee replied, “I think it is an interesting tale. And you are a good storyteller.”

Vincent said, “Thank you.”

(_)

A minute later, their taxi came to a fork in the highway.

Lee saw that the fork to their left, lead to a bridge, and an island in the distance.

Vincent then turned the taxi onto the bridge, as he stated, “We are now on the bridge to the island of De La Plata Podrido. We should be at the hotel in ten minutes.”

Lee complimented, “Sounds great. And you have been a wonderful driver, and company.”

Vincent kept his eyes on the road, as he smiled. He responded, “I appreciate that. I do enjoy it when I have polite customers.”

As they cross bridge, they got both got a close look at it.

The bridge they were crossing over was a highway, concrete bridge. The bridge was two standard lanes wide, and was two hundred yards long, and was set about twenty feet above the sea level. And Lee guessed, from the mud he saw at the bottom, it was low tide.

As the exited the bridge and into the city of De La Plata Podrido, Lee thought, 'I think I just stepped into the Twilight Zone.'

(_)

Just under ten minutes later, They drove into the parking lot of the Devil's Hotel.

There was a large sign by the street, which stated, “Devil's Hotel and Resort”, in english.

Less than a minute later, Vincent stopped them in front of the front lobby doors of the hotel, with Lee's side being the facing the sidewalk running along the outside the hotel.

Vincent turned around to face Lee, as he said, “Here we are.”

Lee pulled out his wallet, and gave Vincent the hundred and fifty U.S. dollars they agreed to.

Vincent turned and collected the cash. He said, “Pleasure doing business with you.”

Lee pocketed his wallet, as he stated, “You got me here safe and sound. You did a good job.”

Vincent replied, “It is what I do. Good Luck, Lee. You are going to need it in this town.”

Lee responded, “You to, Vincent.”

Lee then got out of the taxi.

As soon as Lee closed the taxi door behind him, with him standing on the sidewalk, Vincent drove his taxi away. Though, Vincent was polite, and he did not floor his gas pedal. Instead, it was a gradual build to speed.

Lee watched Vincent head back the way he came.

Lee thought, 'I guess he doesn't want to stay here. Though, he was polite enough not to floor the gas pedal. Oh well. Now, let's find out where, here, is.'

Lee looked around himself.

He saw that the hotel was set from the road by a large parking lot, which was about a quarter full.

Lee thought, 'Judging from the number of cars, this is not bad for an off season. This place must be good, in some ways.'

Between the windowed walls of the front of the building and the sidewalk, there were a row of bushes running across the hotel, except for the windowed double doors in front of him, which he guessed lead to the lobby, and two other smaller doors on opposite ends of the side of the building, which Lee guessed were there as fire escapes.

The sidewalk in the front of the hotel was eight feet wide, except for the parts of the sidewalk that let to the doors on the side, which were twelve feet wide.

In front of the double-doors was an awning which stretched eight feet out, to protect the doors from rain.

The building itself, was rectangular, and looked to be around two hundred yards long, with the lobby doors in the center. And Lee counted that the hotel was thirty stories high. He could not tell what the depth of the hotel was. But, he guessed that it was just as long in depth, as length.

There were balconies lining all floors above ground level. Lee guessed that this was the case on the other sides of the hotel.

Lee saw that all the windows were tinted, but he could see into the lobby itself.

And Lee could hear the breaking of wave coming from behind the hotel.

He thought, 'I would guess this place is set by the beach, which is in back of the hotel. Though, it is a little cool to be going to the beach right now. Still, it is a peaceful sound. I wonder what the inside of this place looks like'

Lee then turned, and walked inside. As he entered the double doors, he found himself in an entryway between the first set of double doors, then the second set of double doors that let to the lobby.

As he entered the lobby, the first thing he noticed a was the tinted windows allow for plenty of light into the lobby, with the lobby itself being fairly large. Though, the tinted windows prevented the lobby from being too bright.

There were cushioned chairs and couches every where.

The couches were situated so that each of the three cushioned couches were set as a square, around a small coffee table.

There were four such square sets of couch furniture in the lobby. Two set by the windows, on each side of the lobby doors. And two behind the first two sets of couches.

There were also cushioned chairs set around the room, with two chairs with a small coffee table between them.

Lee saw that there were a few people of various walks of life sitting in these chairs and couches, around the lobby.

To Lee's left, he saw there was a hallway, with a sign in both spanish and english that read, “Devil's Hotel Restaurant and Bar”. Under that line, it read in both spanish, then english, “Breakfast buffet in the mornings”.

To Lee's right there was a hallway that looked to lead to a bank of elevators.

And there were two hallways leading straight back from the sides of the lobby, and deeper into the hotel.

Lee also saw that the check in desk, which was set across the room from the double-doors

It was then that Lee noticed that the music has suddenly changed, as he walked inside. It only took a few seconds for him to realize it, as he looked around.

Then, he recognized the song that was playing.

Lee thought, 'That song is, Hotel California. This is not a good sign. Still, I might as well face the music, so to speak, and check in.'

Lee calmly turned and walked over to the check in desk. Where he saw two clerks.

When Lee reached the check in desk, the hotel clerk in front of him, looked up at Lee.

Lee saw that the other clerk behind the desk, was doing some paperwork. He also noticed they were where hotel uniforms. Which were dark blue, button up, short sleeve shirt. And dark violet pants.

Lee said, “I would like to rent a room.”

The clerk replied, in english, “That will be fine.”

Lee though, 'Good. He is speaks english. Now, to get down to business.' He pulled out his wallet, and he showed the clerk the business card he had of the Devil's Hotel. He stated, “Someone gave me this.”

The clerk smiled, as he stated, “That is good. Because we offer a ten percent discount to those that present one of our business cards when they check in. We like repeat business.”

The clerks comment made Lee happy, as he thought, 'If I ever find out who sent me that business card, I am going to have to thank him, or her.' Lee replied, “As do I. So, what are the weekly and monthly rates for the hotel?”

The clerk told Lee the rates. And what rates were for what rooms, on what floors.

Lee thought, 'Those are very cheap rates, when compared hotels in the U.S. The high floors and those facing the ocean are more expensive. But, I should be able to afford a few months, with money to spare for clothing, other items. Including food. If I get one of the lower floor rooms, not facing the ocean.'

Lee said, “Those are good rates. I think I will take a suite on the lower floor. A one bedroom suites, not facing the ocean. Though, not on the ground floor.”

Lee thought, 'The ground floor is the busiest floor of the hotel. I do not want to sleep on the busiest floor here, for several reasons.'

'Among those reasons, are when those are me, come here. One of them will likely check who is staying on the ground floor. With their reasoning that I would stay on the ground floor, because it would be easier to escape from. As such, staying on the ground floor will only make me appear more suspicious.'

'I also cannot get rope, or rope ladder, for a balcony escape, on a higher floor. They would be to hard to hide. And they searched my room, that would give me away. And I cannot jump down from a second story balcony, or higher, without breaking my leg, or even my name.'

'So, a balcony escape is out. I will just have to figure out other possible escape routes. Before I set my trap.'

The clerk compliment, “A wise choice. Do you have any other questions?”

Lee stated, “Yes. I have a few. I hope you don't mind.”

The clerk replied, “Not at all.”

Lee asked, “Can I pay in U.S. cash?”

The clerk answered, “Yes. You will find most shops, businesses, and restaurants, in this city accept U.S. Also, this hotel offers a fair exchange rate between the U.S. dollar and the Mexican peso. Along with a few other currencies.”

Lee inquired, “That is nice to know. Do you need my ID to check in?”

The clerk said, “No. This is a, no questions asked, hotel.”

Lee questioned, “Do I need to make a security deposit with the hotel?”

The clerk stated, “No. But, if you damage your hotel suite, without reason, and should you refuse to pay for repairs, we will hurt you.”

Lee agreed, “That is fair. What about TV, phone, and internet?”

The clerk said, “We get our TV off of a satellite dish. We have a nice selection of channels to choose from. This includes a number of english channels, many are also seen in the U.S. Our phone and internet come from a dedicated fiber optic cable, that goes straight to a highspeed server on the mainland.”

“Our phone system is voice over IP, and we we offer wireless highspeed internet. When you get to you room, you will find a paper by your phone that lists both that suites hotel number, the check in desk number, and the wireless password for the hotel. If that paper is not there, place inform us and we will give you the information.”

Lee inquired, “Do you monitor you internet and phone service? And if so, will I be billed for my use of those services?”

The clerk explained, “We charge you extra for usage, and how much you download, after a daily hundred gigabyte cap, that begins at midnight. We only monitor usage. Not content. Such as being a bandwidth hog. Meaning don't upload stuff. And don't download at more than five megabytes a second. Also, we will question you if you start making several long distance phone calls. And we will charge you for those phone calls.”

Lee replied, “That is reasonable.” Lee then noticed one of the cameras high on the wall, near the ceiling of the room, to his right side. He looked at the camera, as he thought, 'I need to ask another question.'

Lee turned back to the clerk, as he inquired, “Is your security system tied to the internet? Such as your camera system?”

The clerk answered, “No. Our camera system is not tied to the internet. The cameras are on a standalone system. A lot of people come here for vice. And we respect their privacy. And your privacy. As long as no one is hurt, we don't care what you do. And neither do the local police.”

Lee thought, 'That answers that question.' He commented, “I find that comforting. Though, I am not into such vices.”

The clerk smirked, as he replied, “That is your choice.”

Lee requested, “So, let's start the ball rolling. I would like to check in for a month. And as I said, on lower floor. Though, not on the ground floor. And a suite not facing the ocean, so I can get a better rate.”

The clerk said, “That will be fine. We prefer frugal customers. Such customers usually return year after year.”

Lee thought, 'That is interesting.' He inquired, “So, you are not trying to get me to rent a suite, but the next three suites, in my possible future visits?”

The clerk replied, “Exactly.”

Lee honestly commented, “I am glad at least somewhere on this planet, such wise business sense still exists.”

The clerk said, “Then, I think you will like your stay here.”

Lee replied, “I think I will agree with you.”

The clerk asked, “So, would you like to pay up front in cash.”

Lee answered, “Yes. As soon as the paperwork is done.”

The clerk said, “That will be fine.”

Ten minutes later, the clerk printed off the paperwork, and Lee used his alias to sign the paperwork, J.D. Lee. Though, Lee did read the paperwork first. It was just a couple of sheets of paper. They were liability forms, and there was no fine print. Just standard stuff, and given the name of the hotel, he did check to make sure he was not signing away his soul. Which the clerk assured him was not the case. And all that was required on the paperwork, was his signature, or in this case, he alias. The forms did not even require him to date his signature.

Lee figured the clerks would date the forms, after he handed them back. Likely with a rubber stamp, with ink.

After Lee finished with the paperwork, and handed it back to the clerk, with his left hand. Lee then pulled out his wallet, and the money he needed to pay for the room, for a month. Next, he put his wallet back into his pocket, with his right hand, while he used his left hand to pay the clerk.

The clerk took the money and counted it. He saw that the payment was all there.

The clerk then went and retrieved a keyring from the board, behind the check in desk. Along with the clerk presenting Lee with his receipt.

After the clerk came back, he handed the keyring, and receipt, to Lee. He stated, “This key is to a room on the third floor. When you get to the third floor, take a right, and keep going. Then, take a left, you will find this room to your right. It has a balcony that faces the pool. Which is the south end of the building. You can even see the ocean to your left, from the balcony. Also, we have an excellent cleaning staff. If the room is not spotless, with the sheets clean. Contact us.”

“If you find any bedbugs, or other pests, contact us immediately. We will find you an other room for free, for a week. Fortunately, we are always on top of such problems. When we have a bedbug problem in a room, we replace the carpet, and mattresses. We are very serious about quality, and cleanliness here, at the Devil's Hotel.”

Lee took the keyring, and receipt. After pulled out his wallet, sticking the receipt into his wallet, and putting his wallet back into a pants pocket, he looked at the keyring. He saw that there was a key on it, and not an electronic keycard, but an actual key to his room. There was also a plastic tag on the key ring with listed his room number.

Lee pocket the keyring, as he looked up at the clerk. He said, “That all sounds great.”

The clerk commented, “While you ask about your soul, with the contracts you signed. I am surprised you did not ask about the Hotel's name.”

Lee responded, “I just figured there was no point in asking. I am sure the owner of the hotel had his, or her, reasons for the name, and I prefer not to be judgmental.”

The clerk replied, “That is what I figured, as well.”

Lee inquired, “So, you don't know the answer, either?

The clerk admitted, “Nope. And I am not going to ask. This job pays too well for me to screw up.”

Lee complimented, “Well, don't worry. You are doing a great job so far.”

The clerk replied, “I appreciate that.”

Lee mentioned, “I have had a long day. I am going to turn in for right now.”

The clerk said, “If you have any problem with the room, or the services we provide, just call the check in desk number, any time, day or night, and we will be more than happy to help. All the clerks here are very polite. Just dial the pound symbol on the phone to reach us.”

Lee replied, “If I need anything, I will. And thanks.”

Lee then turned to his right, and he walked towards the elevator bay.

(_)

A few minutes later, after taking an elevator, Lee was on the third floor of the hotel. He took the clerk's directions, and he soon found his the hallway door to his suite.

He use the key unlock and open the door.

After he walked in, turned on the ceiling light, with a wall switch.

He then closed the door behind him, and he locked the deadbolt, on top of the knob on the door. With the knob set to automatically lock, after it was released from being turned open.

Lee found that the suite had two rooms. One was the bedroom, with a one bed, table, a couple of cushioned chairs by the table. There was nightstand, to the left of the bed, between the bed and the wall. On the nightstand was a small lamp on it, a phone, a digital alarm clock, a TV remote, and a paper with information by the phone.

There was a nice sized, flat screen TV mounted to the wall across from the bed.

Under the TV was a chest of drawers. By the TV, on the check of draws was a microwave. By the chest of drawers, on the ground, facing the door, was a small refrigerator and freezer.

By the refrigerator was a small, steel trash can.

Lee noticed that there was a small wall safe near the door to the hallway. Lee looked at the safe for a few seconds, as he thought, 'I need to get the combination to that safe some time, from the check in desk clerks. But, that is a small matter.'

Lee then walked to the sliding glass door, which was across the room from the door to the interior of the hotel. He saw heave curtains. He pulled back on of the curtains, to see a nice balcony outside.

Next, he looked by the wall, beside the sliding glass door to see the heater and air conditioner machine. He walked over and turned on the heater slightly. He found that the digital temperature gauge on the machine listed both Celsius and Fahrenheit.

Lee set it to seventy-five degrees Fahrenheit.

Lee then walked over to the door to the other room in the suite. The bathroom.

He opened the door and turned on the lights to see that the bathroom was very clean. There was complimentary bar soup, shampoo, toilet paper, and various towels in the bathroom. The bathroom was fairly large for its type. Lee felt that he was not to small for the room.

The bathroom had tiled floor and walls. The bathroom had a tub in it, with a shower nozzle. It has a western style, old style, three gallon toilet. And there was a vanity sink, with a large mirror above the sink.

Lee turned off the bathroom lights, and he re-entered the bedroom area.

He walked over to the bed and opened up the folder sheets to find that everything appeared to be fresh and clean.

The sheets even felt clean to Lee's sense of touch.

He then bent down and look at the carpet.

The carpet appeared to have been recently shampooed and vacuum.

He thought, 'They were not joking about cleanness. This place is cleaner than my bedroom, back home. Which is fairly clean. I think I am going to like this room. Now, to get some rest.

He then walked over to the wall, by the door, and he turned off the light.

The only light in the room was the outline from the heavy, closed curtains that were around glass doors.

Lee then went to his new bed, and kicked off his shoes.

Finally, he opened the sheets on his bed, and crashed on top of the sheets, to get some much needed rest.

Lee fell asleep only seconds after his head hit one of the two, large, comfortable pillows, on his twin sized bed.

(_)

Several hours later, Lee was laying on his back, with his head on a pillow, as he opened his eyes, and he yawned.

For a few seconds, he thought he was back home, in his bed, and this has been a dream. Then, he realized he was wearing his pants and socks. The previous three days of events came back to him.

He immediately turned his head to his left, to look at the digital clock on the nightstand.

The clock stated, six thirty-two AM.

Lee knew the sun had already rose form the ocean, due to the light coming for the outline of the curtains on the sliding glass door.

Lee thought, 'I slept for over eighteen hours... Still, that was a good sleep. This is a good bed... I might as well get up and face the day. I need to get cleaned up, and get a shower.'

'Though, I don't have shaving cream, razor, deodorant, toothbrush, toothpaste, nor spare change of clothing. Oh well, that was the price of escape. At least I have a comb for my hair. And I have the money to replace those items. So, those shortages will change very soon. And a shower will help... And I am hungry. I hope that breakfast buffet is open right now.'

Lee then got up from his bed. The light from outside provided enough indirect light for him to see his way to the bathroom.

When he got into the bathroom, he turned on a lights inside. He then took off his clothing, and wrist watch. Next, he got cleaned up, showered. Fortunately, along with toilet paper and towels. The hotel provided complimentary small bars of soap, and a small bottle of shampoo.

After Lee showered, he dried off with the soft hotel towels, combed his hair, and he put back on his clothing, and watch.

He left his comb by the sink, in his bathroom.

As Lee put on his shoes, in his new bedroom, he saw on the clock that it was now six fifty AM.

He then checked himself in the bedroom mirror. And he looked alright.

He then looked at his watch, and a thought occurred to him.

Lee turned to the clock in the room, as he thought, 'I better adjust my watch to this time zone. I am a few hours off.'

Lee then adjusted his digital watch to the clock in his room.

Next, he made sure he had the key to the his suite, on the keyring. After he did so, he walked to the door to the hallway.

He unlocked the top deadbolt lock, he then turned the knob. After which, he walked into the hallway, and he gently shut the door behind him.

When Lee released the knob it automatically locked, just before it shut.

After which, Lee headed for the elevators, to get something to eat at the hotel bar and restaurant.

(_)

Three minutes later, Lee walked across the front, ground lobby, from the elevator banks on the right side of the lobby, to the hallway with the sign for the restaurant, on the left side of the lobby.

When he entered that left hallway, he turned to his left, and he saw the entrance to the restaurant was about thirty feet in front of him.

The entrance to the restaurant was a set of paned double-doors, which were currently open.

As he approached the doors, he saw no sign by the door, which stated the restaurant's business hours.

Lee thought, 'I will just ask an employee when this place opens and closes.'

It took only a few seconds for Lee to reach the restaurant. As he entered the establishment, he looked around the restaurant and bar.

In the center of the room were several round, wooden tables, in the tiled floor, with cushioned, armless, wooden chairs set around them, in grouped of four to six chair per table.

The room looked like it could seat over a hundred people.

Across the room, from the door was a small stage, set up from the floor. On Lee's right side, he sat on that side of the stage, against the wall, was some speakers, with four wireless microphones on top of the speakers. By the speakers were two flat screens mounted to the wall. One screen was angled towards the stage, the other screen was angled for the audience. All wires for the screens and speakers went into a large box that was set against the far corner of the wall, on the stage.

There was a sign by the stage, which said, in both spanish, and english, “Karaoke machine used night. All are welcome to give it a try. Wide music selection.”

Lee thought, 'Nice. I have never tried karaoke before. And I am more than willing to give it a go. I got nothing better to do in the evenings. When I am not working on my plans. I guess the screens must show the lyrics, both for the singer, and the audience. And the screen also probably is used to select the music. Given hard drive space for computers today, and the selection of music on this karaoke machine has is probably quite wide. Especially, considering this island is not an a map, and the management of this hotel likely doesn't have to worry about lawsuits.'

Lee then looked and saw that the bar counter was to his left, a few feet into the restaurant

Between the bar counter and the doors was a hallway for the kitchen area, and restrooms of the restaurant.

The bar counter itself was shaped like an upside down, uppercase, L, shape, with the counter running along parallel with the other side of the room, and then turning to face the stage. The entrance to the counter being beside the hallway, towards the front of the room.

Lee saw that the cash register was on the side of the bar counter, near the hallway, at the front of the restaurant.

Lee saw that the person manning the cash register was a woman, in a hotel clerk's uniform.

To Lee's right, he saw the breakfast buffet, with foot, and drinks, lining the far right side of the wall.

Lee looked at the people on the room, as he thought, “I would estimate that the room was about twenty percent full at the moment. Which, given the time of day, is pretty good. I think I got here before the breakfast crowd came. Now, got get something to eat.' He then turned to look at the cashier, as he continued his thought, 'I might as well pay the woman first. And maybe get some questions answered about this restaurant and bar.'

Lee then walked over to the cashier. He found that there was presently no line in front of the cashier.

As he stopped in front for the cashier, across the bar counter from her. The woman looked to be middle-aged, she was of average height, and physically fit, though, she had a little meet on her bones. And from her skin tone and facial features, she looked to be from India.

She looked up at Lee, as she said something in spanish.

Lee politely said, “Good morning. I apologize, but I do not know spanish.”

The woman replied, in english, with an indian accent, “That is quite alright. And good morning to you too. I am Emily. What would you like for breakfast.”

Lee answered, “Well Emily, how much is the buffet in U.S. cash?”

Emily told him.

Lee thought, 'That is very cheap. I hope the food, and drinks, are good.' Lee said, “I think I will order a buffet.”

After Emily rung him up on the cash register, he pulled out the cash for the buffet, and he got the receipt and change.

As Lee pocketed the receipt and change, he inquired, “Is it okay if I ask you a few questions?”

Emily replied, “Sure. We are not busy, yet. So, ask away.”

Lee asked, “I did not see a sign outside, in the hallway, by the restaurant, which stated its business hours. So, when does this restaurant open, and close? When do you serve alcohol? When do you serve off a menu? And when do you serve a buffet during the day?”

Emily casually commented, “That is okay. Those are all good questions. We do not have a sign there, because that sign keeps disappearing. We don't know why.”

“The restaurant opens at five thirty AM, and closes at midnight, or a little later. That depends on the bartender, whom gets in around ten thirty AM. He is a nice guy. The staff and customers like him.”

“For the most part, we do not serve alcohol in the morning, until the bartender gets in. We can get you a bottle of beer, but that is extra, to the cost of the buffet, since we already provide drinks for buffet. We only serve the breakfast buffet, everyday, from five thirty AM, to ten thirty AM. Also, it is all you can eat. We also have a breakfast menu during those hours.”

“For the rest of the day, we accept orders from our lunch and dinner menu, all the way, till about eleven thirty PM at night. That is when we start cleaning the kitchen. Though, we close the bar between eleven thirty to midnight. Depending on how busy we are. It is the bartender's call on that. Though, if we are not that busy, the bartender can sometimes call as early as ten thirty PM.”

“Still, you will find our menu selections nice. Also, there are some restaurants around town that are good, as well. The restaurants in this town cater to a number of different styles of food. We get a lot of foreigners coming to town and staying. And a few of us have opened up restaurants that serve food from our homelands. Most of us are pretty good a fixing food.”

Lee thought, 'That confirms Emily is from out of town. Now, for a few other questions I have.' He asked, “That is nice to know. What else do this hotel provide?”

Emily answered, “We have a laundry mat just up the hallway from here. We have indoor hot tubs, on the right side of the building, with sliding glass doors facing the fully sized, outdoor pool. With the other, direct entrance to the pool being down in the hallway, behind the desk, to our right. Once you enter that hallways, just immediately take another right, and keep going to the pool. You cannot miss the pool.”

“We have a full workout gym that overlooks the beach. A game room, with pool tables, and video games. And we have a small theater room in the hotel, on the ground floor that plays requested videos. Any videos, as long as it is not outright pornography. Movies, TV shows, animations, music videos. Whatever you want.”

“Though, this service is first come, first serve, on request. With then taking a few minutes to find the request, and waiting for what is playing to finish. But, it is free for customers of the hotel, to listen and watch. And we don't usually get a lot of requests on the off season. Most of the time, it is just families, and large group wanting to watch a movie somewhere, besides their hotel rooms.”

“Though, the theater cannot be closed for a private party. It is open to all customers, as long as those customer behave and are not disruptive.”

Lee responded, “Thank you. You had been very helpful, Emily.”

Emily replied, “You're welcome. And enjoy your meal.”

Lee inquired, “I plan to. Still, I have one more question for you.”

Emily said, “Sure. What is it?”

Lee asked, “I don't mean to pry, but how did someone from India end up here, in Mexico?”

Emily stated, “It is okay. When we were young and stupid, once. My younger, Grace, and I joined a group to try to end the hidden apartheid of India. We lost, but the two of us got away. And now we are here.”

Lee thought, 'So, they were revolutionaries. Interesting. Not surprising. But, interesting. Also, Emily and Grace are obviously aliases for these two sisters. So, they are not worried if people know those aliases, because they cannot be traced back to their past in India. And with over a billion people in that nation, it is hard to backtrack two of them. Now, to be polite.'

Lee said, “Thank you.”

Emily replied, “No problem.”

Lee then turned, and headed to the buffet, which was across the room. As he did so, he thought, 'What what Emily told me about herself, this place is getting more mysterious, by the day.'

Lee soon found that the buffet had mostly mexican breakfast food, and american breakfast food. Which was not surprising, given what both culture ate very practical types of food items for breakfast.

Still, Lee could not stomach the mexican food, even though he loved the taste of it. The food did not agree with him. But, there was plenty of other food to choose from.

Also, the drink selection was fair. There was bottled water, orange juice, apple juice, milk, and coffee, to choose from.

Lee soon had a plate of american food, including scrambled eggs, hash-browns, and french toast, in his right hand. He had a glass of an orange juice in his left hand. And he had his napkin and utensils, held between the glass and his left fingers

He soon found an empty table that he sat, as he began to eat his breakfast.

As he ate, he found that the food, and orange juice, were good.

(_)

When Lee finished his breakfast, he looked at his digital wrist watch, and he saw that it was seven thirty-four AM

He picked up his plate and glass, and walked over to the area where he saw people dumping their dirty dishes at.

As he turned and walked towards the hallway exit of the restaurant, he turned to Emily. As he passed by her, he politely said, “Please let cooks know they did a wonderful job with breakfast.”

Emily turned to Lee, as she smiled. She happily responded, “I will. And have a pleasant morning.”

Lee replied, “You to.” He then turned turned the doors of the restaurant, and a few seconds later, he walked out of the establishment.

As Lee turned to his right, and walked down the hallway, towards the lobby, he thought, 'I am going to need find out where some places are. I think it might be best if I ask the clerks up front.'

'The one yesterday was very nice. And so was Emily, here. Still, I need to also find out where the places I need. And when they are open.'

'Also, I need to know which ones have the best prices. And how to find these places on foot. I am going to have to walk where I need to get, to save money. But, I can use the exercise. Though, I am dying, if I start exercising now, and regularly, from here on in. I might buy myself an extra week of life.'

Lee then reached the exit to the front lobby. He turned for the check in desk.

When Lee reached the desk, and he asked the clerks on duty, the questions he needed. He found that the clerks at the check in desk were very helpful with his questions. They told him the places that were best for what he needed to get. Which had the best prices. How to get to those places on foot. And when they opened. Which, Lee found out that most of the places opened between eight and nine AM. Which meant they would open just as he reached them.

When Lee was finished with his questions, he thanked the clerks on duty, and walked out the lobby, and into the conformable sunny day, out onto the parking lot.

Lee soon walked out of the parking lot, and towards the make business district of the town, which was only a few blocks away from him.

As Lee headed to the places he needed to go, he kept an eye out for danger. But, he found that everyone was just going about their business, and they left him alone. Which, given the circumstances, was fine with Lee.

Because it was a weekday, there were no problems with any of the shops not being open that day.

The first place Lee went to, which he reached right after eight AM, when they opened, was a hair salon, that had a men's barber section.

The wait was short, and Lee soon was in the chair of the barber. First, Lee had a professional shave of his face. He found the barber did a wonderful job, with no nicks, nor cuts. Next, he got his hair cut into a masculine, short style. But, not a crew cut. Finally, he got his hair dyed, from his natural color, to black.

This was all part of Lee's plan. And he was happy with the salon's results. After he paid them for their services, he left the salon.

The next place Lee went to a small grocery store. There he got soap, shampoo, shaving cream, disposable razors, deodorant, toothbrush, toothpaste, dental tape, toothpicks, six bottles of water, and a small bag of candy. He also bought a deck of playing cards for his suite. So, he would have something to do during the times he was in his suite. All of these items fit in a small plastic bag.

And last, but not least, Lee went to a decently priced clothing store, where he bought several pairs of underwear, socks, pants, and shirts. He also bought a gym bag, a blue cloth jacket, a blue baseball cap, some nice looking sunglasses, and some large, fake glasses, with just clear plastic lens.

This all fit into two large clothing bags. One was a full bag. The other bag was half full. Lee stuck his grocery bag into the half filled bag.

And after all this, Lee found he still had plenty of money for food for the next few weeks.

Fortunately, the two bags were now that heavy. So, Lee was able carry them back to the hotel. Which was not to difficult. Though, Lee kept a more careful eye out for trouble, as he headed for the Devil's Hotel. But, luckily he had not problems.

It was ten thirty by the time Lee returned to the hotel.

After dropped some of the items off in his suite, on the third floor, he went back to the ground level, with his clothes, and gym bag, to wash them at hotel laundry mat.

Two hours later, Lee finished cleaning, and drying his clothing. He then stuffed his clothing into his gym bag, and he headed up to his suite on the third floor.

When he got his room, he pulled out his clothing, and folded all of it. He then put away all of his clothing, except a clean set of underwear, socks, t-shirt, and pants, the chest of drawers. Along with this, he left out his jacket, baseball cap. He even folded his gym bag up, and put it into the chest of drawers.

Afterward, placed his two sets of glasses, his bag of candy, and his deck of cards, by the TV. He then put his bottles of water into the refrigerator, except for one he took into the bathroom with him.

He then brushed his teeth with his new toothbrush and toothpaste. He used the bottle of water he had to rinse his mouth out.

Next, he took a shower, using the shampoo and soap he bought. After he was rinsed off, he used a towel to dry. When he was dry, he used his deodorant, and he put on his fresh clothing.

Lee also transferred the belongs in his old pants into the pockets of his new set of pants, along with him looping his belt through his new pants.

Once his belt was buckled, he tucked in his shirt.

After Lee put on, and tied his shoes, he then walked over and put on his large glasses, his blue baseball cap, and his blue cloth jacket.

The temperature outside was just cool enough to warrant wearing a jacket, without anyone being suspicious about it.

Lee then walked into the bathroom, and looking at himself in the mirror.

With his the new black hair style, glasses, and baseball cap, Lee could barely recognized himself.

He said out loud, “This will do.” He then mentally added, 'Now, to get some lunch. The way Emily spoke of the bartender here. He sounds like he could be useful to me, in a number of ways.'

Lee turned off the lights, and shut the locked door to his suite behind him. He then headed down the hallway, to the elevator bay, and the ground floor, to go to the hotel restaurant and bar.

As Lee walked though the lobby, out of the corner of his eyes, he noticed a security camera.

He continued walking, as he thought, 'It is too bad that I was to tired to get my disguise before I got here. And a few of the cameras got a good look of my face, yesterday and this morning. Still, if I don't say anything about it, and wait a week, or two, it is likely that people will forget what I originally looked like, and the cameras footage will be deleted, so that hard drive space will be reused for new footage.'

'That just means that either way, my time table will be at least a few weeks, until I move forwards. Which is fine, because I am going to need that time to plan and prepare, for what I have in mind.'

Around a minute later, Lee walked into the restaurant, as he glanced at his watch to see that it was one o two PM. He then looked around the room to see that it was establishment was not busy.

Lee saw a few waitresses around the room. They were in hotel uniforms, and they were waiting the tables, but Lee felt like going to the bar.

Lee walked up to the bar counter, facing the left side of the room. And he sat in the stool. From behind the bar, an older man walked up to Lee.

The man had fair skin, and he looked to be in his early sixties. But, he was still in good physical shape. Though, his body build was a little on the lean side. He had clearly shaved the hair on his head, as he was bald. Also, he had a dyed blond goatee, mustache, and eyebrows.

The man wore a white t-shirt, under a green sweater, with brown pants, and black dress shoes. He also wore a red newsboy cap on his head. But, around the cap, Lee could clearly see the man had shaved his head bald.

Lee thought, 'Given this guy's clear age, why would he dye his facial hair, yet shave his hair. Unless, he is in hiding. From what, I don't know, nor do I care. Still, I wonder if this is the guy that Emily was talking about?'

The man said, in crystal clear english, “Hello. What can I get for you, today?”

Lee requested, “A menu. Also, this morning, Emily said that bartender. I guess you. Were a decent guy. So, I thought I would meet you.”

The old man smile, as he replied, “Emily is such a sweet dear”

Lee agreed, “From what little I know of her, I would agree. My name is, Lee. What is yours?”

The man answered, “I am, Melvin. Nice to meet you, Lee.” He then extended his right hand.

Lee shook the Melvin's hand, with his own right hand. As Lee did so, Lee noted that Melvin's handshake was firm, but not tight. Just like Lee's own grip. which Melvin noticed, as well.

Lee thought, 'A firm handshake is a good sign of character.' He said, “And it is nice to meet you, Melvin.”

A second later, they broke their handshake.

Melvin then pulled out a menu from under the counter. He set it in front of Lee, on the counter, as he said, “The menu is in spanish, and english. I have other customers. I will be back in a minute, for you to tell me what you want.”

While Lee picked up the menu, and looked at it, he replied, “That will be fine, Melvin.”

(_)

Lee ordered a club sandwich, with chips, and a soda. He found that the meal was tasty, good, and at a decent price.

After he finished his meal, he paid for it, left Melvin a fair tip, and politely requested that Melvin let the cooks know they did a good job.

Melvin happily said he would.

Lee use the restaurant men's restroom, and he then left for the hotel lobby.

When he reached the lobby, he looked at his watch to see that it was one forty PM.

Lee looked up, at the check in desk, as he thought, 'I guess it is time to find the Rats Nest bar.' He then headed to the check in desk.

(_)

Fortunately, after Lee got directions to the Rats Nest bar, it only took him only forty minutes to walk to the bar, at a reasonable walking pace.

The outside of the bar was wooden, and brown colored, for the most part. There was a parking lot the left side of the bar, when coming into the building.

The front of the bar was line with large, paneled windows, except for a door in the center.

On the top front of the building, there was a sign, which looked like it could be lit during the night, in large letters, in english, “Rats Nest.”

At Lee looked at the front of the Rats Nest, he thought, 'When I looked at the front of this bar, and inside, through the front windows, why does Rock quote, at the first episode of Black Lagoon come to mind? The so called bar at the end of the world you see in westerns, quote.'

'The clerks at the Devil's Hotel did warn me that the Rat Nest was a tough place. But, I still have to come here.'

'Though, I did one time look into dangers bar on the internet. And I found that there are actual bars in real life that are dangerous as the Yellowflag in Black Lagoon. Or, in some cases, even more dangerous. And I don't have a gun.'

'Oh well. I have to check out this lead. I have no choice. And I am facing worse, so there is not much to worry about... So, I might as well walk in.'

Lee then walked up to the front door, open it, walked inside, and gently close it behind him.

As he stood, with his back to the closed door, he looked inside the bar, and he saw that it was not very large room.

The bar had brown wooden floor, bar counter, stools, tables, and chairs, giving the bar an old western motif. He also saw that the left side of the room was line with large, paneled windows, like the front of the bar.

When Lee turned to his left side, he could see that parking lot to the bar through the windows on the left side of the room.

To Lee's right there was a bar counter, in a right side up, L, shape that faced the side of the bar, and the front of the bar, with cushioned stools along the counter.

Across from the bar were several round tables, with cushioned, wooden armless chairs.

Lee estimated that the room could fit around a fifty people in all.

On the back wall, near the middle of the room, there were doors for the restroom, beside each other. With the doors being directly in line with the front door. The door to Lee's left side had a, men, label on the door. And the other door, to Lee's right side, had a, woman, label on the door.

The door to the other parts of the building, was behind the bar counter, on the right wall, by the back, right back corner of the room.

Also, the bar counter entrance was right beside the door corner door, in right back part of the bar.

On the far end of the bar counter, near the door to the back part of building, was a cash register.

Lee also noticed there were not that many people there. Most of them were sitting at a table, in the back left corner of the bar, playing poker, with money.

And the bartender to the Rats Nest appeared to be a very beautiful, young woman, in pants and a shirt. She had a slender build. And she had her hair in a short, feminine hair style, that was very professional looking.

Lee thought, 'I might as well be polite, and order a beer.'

Lee walked up to the bar counter, and sat to where his back was to the windows showing in the parking lot.

This also allowed him to see the front door.

Lee thought, 'It is always wise to keep an eye towards the front door in places like this. Never turn you back to the front door.'

From behind the bar counter, the beautiful woman walked up to Lee.

Lee looked at her in her eyes, not her chest, as he thought, 'In situations like this. First impressions are very important. I need to look at her face, not her breasts.'

The woman noticed this. Still, she said, in a slight hard, no nonsense, tone of voice, in fluent english, “What do you want?”

Lee continued to look at her face, as he thought, 'She can probably tell I am from the U.S., so she just started with english. Now, to make my order.' He answered, “A bottle of beer. Something cheap, tasty, and cold.”

The woman cracked a grin, as she said, “Sure. Two U.S. dollars.”

Lee pulled out two dollars from his wallet and handed it to her, with his left hand, while he pocketed his wallet with his right hand.

The woman took the money. The then woman pulled a cold beer from a refrigerator under the table, and set it in front of Lee.

After which, the woman went to check on her other customers.

Lee looked at the bottle of beer, as he gripped it with his right hand. It was cold to the touch, and it was a cheap, though tasty American brand.

Lee used his left hand to open the cap of the bottle, without a problem. He then took a drink from the beer, as he thought, 'I will give her this. She will give you what you ask for.'

Over the course of the next ten minutes, Lee just sipped his beer, as he starred in front of him, at the mirror over the shelf of bottles, across the bar counter. He thought, 'What am I suppose to do now? I am at the rough bar. Clearly not going to cause trouble. But, the flier lead me here. So, what am I suppose to do now. Maybe I just need to think on my plans. I got nothing better to do.'

From the corner of his eye, Lee noticed the bartender glancing over at him. He thought, 'That is the third time she has done that in the last few minutes. But, I don't liked it.”

The woman then walked over to him. She casually said, “You look like a man with a lot on his mind. And I am a woman that is just bored enough to ask. I have noticed that you didn't look at my breasts when you first came in. And instead, you consciously looked at my face. That earned you points in my book.”

Lee looked at her, in the face, as he replied, “Thank you. And the name is, Lee.”

The woman replied, “Lee? That is an asian name?”

Lee thought, 'Interesting. She did not tell me her name. Not that it matters. I am in hiding. And asking such questions will get me noticed. Though, I do need to make one thing clear about my alias.'

Lee corrected, “Actually, Lee is both an asian name, and a name for caucasians from the southeastern United States. And the name, Lee, means two different things, depending on if it is the asian meaning, or the american meaning.”

The woman responded, with slight curiosity in her voice, “Interesting. And Lee, you have an odd look about you. You look like a man who is both running from trouble, and running towards trouble. So, what got you to come all the way out here?”

Lee shrugged, “You could say that I was channeling so serious mojo, and I got out before I was burned.”

The bartender smirked, as she commented, “Let me guess. A woman?”

Lee coyly replied, “Something like that.”

The bartender said, “You know there is nothing worse in hell's fury than a woman scorned.”

Lee corrected, “You are wrong about that. There is nothing worse in hell's fury than women scorned. Plural.”

The bartender let out a laugh. She stated, “Whatever you are, Lee, you are in clearly trouble. My kind of trouble. So, good luck with that.”

Lee replied, “Thank you.”

The bartender cracked a grin, as she looked at Lee. She then turned, and went to see to her other customers.

Meanwhile, Lee turned to look around the bar, as he sipped his beer, which was now almost empty.

Lee thought, 'Let's admit it. I'm screwed. From the broadcast, the women are looking for me. Or, should I saw, whom they call, the writer.'

'The only plan that I can come up with is that I use myself as bait, by posting something on the internet, and let them trace it to this town. The hotel to be exact. Any wider an area, and things become too difficult for me manage. I need them close for this plan to work.'

'But, by doing so, I am literally dancing with tigers. In an insane, high stakes, cat and mouse game. Hoping they won't eat me, while I quietly steal one of their bells, or reality devices, in this case, without them knowing it, until I am gone.'

'The only good news is I used aliases and a VPN, along with the police state of the internet, with firewalls on top of firewalls, they don't know my real name and likeness. And the disguise and alias I have now will help myself even further.'

'Also, the plan is workable. Though, it will be a few weeks before I do this. I do not want to pulled the trigger on this just yet. Not until I have a good lay of the land around here. After I have fun the proper planning and preparation.'

'When I am ready, I will post something on the internet, that they can trace here from the IP address record. While, I make sure I am not recorded in doing so. The hotel does have wireless internet access.'

'The reason I don't get a computer myself is to fold. I cannot afford the money, and I would be tempted to use it often, and I am sure, if I did, I would get caught by someone tracing me. So, I have to use someone else's computer.'

'Though, all I need to do is pay someone that is going to leave, in a day, or two, to allow me use their computer for five minutes. Not hard, I just have to be careful. A hundred bucks, and a kind word will probably let me use someone's computer. I say I just need to check my e-mail real quick. And leave message. Then, I put the message, and delete my tracks on the computer. Hell, the person can watch, he or she won't notice anything wrong.'

'The message I am planning on posting is. Sorry for everything.'

'Then, I hope the women take the bait, and send a few in their group after me.'

'I am looking at one to three women, at most. This is a manageable number. They will not be watching each others backs all the time. I just wait for my opportunity. Next, it is a matter of drugging them, and stealing one of their reality devices. Not impossible. I just have to be on my toes. Once I have the reality device. I can escape into the multiverse, and seek treatment for my medical problems. Among other things. And it will be simple as that...'

Lee inwardly groaned, as he mentally admitted, 'Ah, let's be honest. I am dealing with Murphy's Law here. It will not be that simple. But, it is a workable plan.'

Lee then saw man with a well groomed, full beard, and long hair cropped in a ponytail by a scrunchy, sitting in the corner table. The man had clean out the other five men sitting at the table, by playing various hands of poker.

For a second, Lee eyes and the man's eyes locked.

Lee thought, 'Damn it. I got someone's attention. This is bad. I just have to be polite, and I can probably get out of this. But, not knowing spanish is going to likely get me hurt here. Still, there is nothing I can do about that.'

As the others at the corner table got up and left the bar, the man also got up, collected his money, pocketed his cash, and calmly walked over to Lee.

The man was had fair skin, and he wore a dark plaid button up, long sleeved shirt, brown pants, brown leather belt, and black cowboy boots.

When the man reached Lee, he sat in a stool beside Lee, at the bar counter.

The man turned to face Lee, and the front of the bar behind Lee, as he calmly said, in english, “Hello.”

Lee replied, “Hello.”

The man said, “I am, Sam. What is your name?”

Lee answered, “Lee.”

Sam smiled, as he stated, “Nice to meet you, Lee. You look a like a man without friend in this town.”

Lee mentally thought, 'More like this planet. Hell, more like this multiverse.' He admitted, “You could say that, Sam”

Sam offered, “Want to join me for a round of poker?”

Lee thought, 'I just watched you hammer those people. Still, I wonder exactly what type of game you are playing?' He inquired, “What type?'

Sam said, “Casual five card draw poker. Nothing special. Five card draw. Up to three cards replaced. Betting, bluffing, and calling. Betting starts at one dollar, U.S.”

Lee stated, “It has been a while since I played some poker. And if you are looking for an easy mark, you are going to have try a better pitch. I just saw you clean out those five men at the table.”

Sam chuckled. He then complimented, “You may not have a friend, but you clearly have some common sense. I like that. And I am also bored out of my mind. I have plenty of money, but not one here, save for the bartender, whom a sense of humor that I appreciate. Except perhaps for you.”

At the moment, the bartender was collecting glasses from across the room, at the table Sam had been sitting at it. Though, the bartender left Sam's drink alone, along with the deck of cards that was on the table.

The bartender had clearly overheard them, as she commented, “Thank you, Sam.”

Sam looked over at bartender, as he said, “You're welcome.” He then turned back to Lee, as he commented, “Anyway, you look like someone who really has nothing left to, except some cash. On the other hand, I have plenty cash. And I am doing this more as a hobby, than anything else. So, why not?”

Lee mentally admitted, 'Sam, you are right about me having nothing really left to lose. And I could use this to both practice my precognition, and my poker face. I won't get anywhere in my plan if I cannot hide my emotions better. So...' He replied, “Oh hell. I might, as well.”

Sam smiled at Lee, as he stated, “Good. Come with me to the corner table.” He stood up, and walked to the back left corner table.

Lee finished his bottle of beer and left it on the bar counter. He then got up and followed Sam to the table.

Meanwhile, the bartender walked back over to behind the bar counter.

Sam sat with his back to the corner, while Lee sat a little to Sam's left, across the table from him. This allowed Lee to still see the entrance to the bar with the corner of his left eye.

Sam pulled out some of his money, and placed it on the table.

Lee did the same.

Sam then picked up the deck of cards from the table, and he began shuffling them.

Sam soon finished shuffling. He then started to deal the cards, as he stated, “Don't worry. I will go easy on you. I have a feeling you have potential. And I do enjoying watching someone's potential come to the forefront.”

Lee replied, “I appreciate that. By the way, do you know the bartender's name? I have a feeling she would not answer that question, if I asked her.”

Sam grinned mischievously, as he said, “You would be right. No one knows, and that is the way she likes.”

Lee shrugged, as he replied, “Works for me.”

After the five cards were dealt for each of them, both men picked up their cards and looked at them.

Lee causal his body language, and facial expression relaxed, as he thought, 'Since I am playing for money, I have to have a poker face. And I have to prevent myself from showing any tails. If I get this down, I might start experimenting with my precognitive abilities. I have some ideas, but I will need someone's help. And Sam seems to be the kind of guy that might help.'

'And at least, this will help stop him from being bored. Which my earn me a friend here. Or, a quicker death, If it is playing. Either way, I don't have a bad hand. So, let's see how this plays out.'

Sam put down a U.S. dollar in the center of the table, as he stated, “I will start the betting pool with one dollar.”

Lee matched the U.S. dollar, and put down another dollar, as he said, “I will see that dollar. And raise you a dollar.”

Lee soon one the first hand. And they played around hand. And another hand.

The next few hours went by quickly for both men.

Lee lost some hands and won some hands. But, he won way more than he lost. The only time they stopped was to get a few beers, and for bathroom breaks.

As Lee held his cards, in the middle of the hand they were in, he knew he had a bad hand, as he said, “I fold.”

He then put his cards down, with Sam winning around twenty dollars from that hand.

As Sam collected the cards, and the pot, Lee looked at his watch, and he saw that it was five thirty PM.

Lee mentally realized, 'It is a forty minute walk to the Devil's Hotel. And it will be dark soon. I need to get back. Still, I think I got won quite a bit of money here. I would say around four hundred dollars. Though, he may have let me when. But, why?... Probably to someone around, to keep him entertained. He did say this was more of a hobby for him.'

'Still, four hundred dollars is four hundred dollars. If I am frugal. This will keep me fed for at least a month and a half, without me going into my savings.'

Lee stated, “I apologize, Sam. But, I don't have a car, and I have to walk back to where I am staying.”

Sam suggested, “Why not call a taxi?”

Lee stated, “I need the exercise, and I am trying to save money.”

Sam requested, “That is understandable. My I join you in your walk?”

Lee shrugged, as he said, “Sure.”

Both men then collected this money, and Sam also collected the cards. With Sam putting his cards back into the cardboard box for his playing cards. The men then pocketed their items.

The two men then got up from the table, and heading for the front door.

On their way out out of the bar, Lee dropped a ten dollar tip on the counter for the bartender.

At that moment, the bartender had been standing behind the bar counter. She saw the tip that Lee had laid.

As the bartender collected the ten dollar bills, she said, “Thanks.”

Lee turned his head, as he said, “You're welcome.” He then looked to his front, as he opened the door for Sam. Next, Lee followed behind Sam, with Lee closing the door behind him.

When the reached outside, the turned and walked down the right side of the sidewalk, when exiting the bar.

Sam slowed down enough, for Lee to catch up. He then walked at a cause pace, beside Lee, to Lee's right side.

As they walked down the sidewalk, Sam asked, “So, where are you staying?”

Lee answered, “The Devil's Hotel.”

Sam commented, “So, am I.”

Lee responded, “That is not surprising. I have been here for just over twenty-four hours. And except for the name, the place is nice. My suite is good. The employees are polite. The food and drinks are nice. And the prices on everything are great deals.”

Sam agreed, “Exactly. That is why I checked in there. I did some research first, and I found the place had the best bang for my buck, and it came highly recommended by those that have stayed there.”

Lee said, “Yes. They did say they like repeat business. That seems to be a rarity nowadays. Most businesses are just trying to make a quick buck, as their customers expensive.”

Sam replied, “I know. And I don't get that.”

Lee stated, “It is short sightedness. That is all.”

Sam said, “I guess that is true.”

The two continued talking, as they walked towards the hotel they were both staying at.

Lee found that Sam was a good conversationalist, and that he was very knowledgeable. But, Lee was careful not to give away who he really ways, and why he was in De La Plata Podrido.

After around forty minutes of walking, they made it to the front lobby doors of the Devil's Hotel.

Lee thought, 'Looks like we are becoming fast friends. I have never had a friend before. I won't mind having at least one in my lifetime.'

As they entered the hotel lobby, they both noticed the music in the lobby change to a song that Lee recognized the new song. It was, Deranged, by Coheed and Cambria.

Sam stated, “I do not know this song.”

Lee said, “It is a new song, with a catchy tune.” He mentally add, 'I will refrain from telling him that the song is from a Batman video game, and what the lyrics to the song mean.'

Sam inquired, “So, are you hungry?”

Lee said, “I could use some supper.”

Sam commented, “So, can I.”

Lee suggested, “Hotel bar then?”

Sam agreed, “Why not? I also hear they have karaoke every night.”

Lee replied, “I am game if you are. But, I have never done karaoke before.”

Sam said, in a supportive, positive tone of voice, “Don't worry. It's fun, and easy to learn. Now, let's head there.”

The two men then turned to their left, in the hotel lobby, as they headed for the hotel restaurant and bar.

When they got there, they found people were already starting to use the karaoke machine to sing, which started as six PM. Most of them did okay. And in such singing, it was the effort that counted. With the audience cheering the good performances, but not booing the less than good performances.

The two men sat at the bar counter, with them facing the left wall of the room. The entrance to the restaurant was to their left side, and the stage was to their right side.

Sam saw to Lee's left side.

The two men then ordered their meals, and a couple of bottles of beer to drink.

As they ate, they continued talking between bites, and drinks.

After the finished eating supper, they stayed in the bar, as they each had a bottle of beer almost every hour, while they watched the karaoke performances.

Over the next few hours, Lee and Sam also took a few opportunities to sing some songs. As the people who wanted to sing kept rotating, after singing one song.

Both of them sang badly, with two exceptions.

Sam did a marvelous job of singing karaoke for the Randy Travis song, Highway Junkie.

Sam got a standing ovation at the end of his performance.

Lee turn was next. He sang Kenny Rogers version of, The Gambler song, which everyone clapped when he finished.

Sam and Lee even sang a few songs together, in a duet.

It was a great night for Lee. Probably one of the best nights of his life.

Around ten PM, they called it a night. They paid Melvin for their meals, and drinks. Along with each of them giving him a nice tip.

(_)

Both of Sam and Lee soon made it to the elevator bay together. They saw there was no one else around them.

Sam pushed one of the up button on the panel, between two of elevators, on the side of the room.

Sam then turned to Lee, as he suggested, “Would you like to meet again, tomorrow morning?”

Lee replied, “Sure. When, and where?”

Sam answered, “Let's say eight thirty tomorrow in the morning. We can play poker and talk in the lobby in the morning. And head to the Rats Nest in the afternoon.”

Lee said, “Okay. But, we can alternate playing games, besides poker.”

One of the elevators opened. The two men saw the elevator was empty. They both stepped inside, and turned around to face the open elevator doorway.

As doors closed, Lee selective the third floor, while Sam selected the tenth floor.

Sam replied, “Sure.”

Lee thought, 'Now, to ask for his help, for my precognitive abilities, without getting to detailed.'

Lee requested, “And when we play poker, there like you help with something.”

Sam inquired, “What you have in mind.”

Lee stated, “There is a trick I would like to teach myself, that I think playing poker with you, could help with.”

Sam inquired, “Sounds interesting. What is it.”

Lee thought, 'If I don't tell him, I could blow this friendship, before it even develops. So, why not?' He explained, “Well, believe it or not, I am precognitive. I can sense the future. But, I am not very good at it. And I was wondering if I could try to develop that skill when it comes to playing poker.”

Sam raised an eyebrow, as he stated, “Now, that sounds interesting. I would love to help you.”

Lee smiled, as he replied, “Thank you. We will do it for a little bit, tomorrow morning. But, when we do, no money until I get the hang of of this trick.”

Sam agreed, “Sure. I can understand. And when you do master that trick, you will be one formidable poker player. If not a fighter.”

Lee pointed out, “I am not a fighter. I am just a fool in a bad spot of luck.”

Sam chuckled, as he shook his head. He said, “That is pretty much what they all say, in the beginning.”

Lee replied, “We'll see.”

The elevator door opened to the third floor, as stated by the digital readout, above the floor selection panel, in the elevator.

Lee commented, “This is my floor.”

Lee walked out of the elevator, and turned to face Sam, as he said, “See you tomorrow morning, Sam.”

Sam smiled, as he replied, “See you to, Lee.”

The elevators doors then closed.

Lee turned and headed down the hallway, his room.

When Lee reached his room, unlocked the door, and turned on the ceiling light. He then walked over to the lamp light by his bed, turned it on, and then switched off the ceiling light.

As he headed for the bed, he grabbed the TV remote, on top of the chest of drawers.

He was intent on watching some TV, for a few minutes. Then, something occurred to him, as he thought, 'This hotel offers both TV and internet. That reminds me. I need to do something, before I forget too.”

Lee set the TV remote back on top of the chest of drawers. He then walked over to the steel trash can, and picked it up, with his left hand. He saw that the trash can was empty. Next, he walked over the heavy curtains that were in front of the sliding glass window.

He used his right hand to opened the have curtains, by the draw string, to his right, by the corner of the sliding glass door, as he thought, 'I hope this does not damage the trash can. If there is a problem, I will pay for a new trash can. Still, I have to do this. If I have any hope of getting through this alive, I have to live completely off the grid.'

Lee then unlocked the latch to the sliding glass door, at the top of the door, to his right side. He then pushed, by its handle, to his left side, to open it.

He then walked into his suite's balcony, which had a steal, guardrail.

Even though it was night, Lee's lamp light provided all the light he needed to see with, to do this.

Also, it was fortunate that it was not too windy.

Lee pulled out his passport, his wallet, and his lighter.

From his wallet, he pulled out his ID cards. He then put his wallet back into a pants pocket.

After which, he used his lighter to set each of his pieces of ID to burn. As they caught fire, he dropped them into the steel trash can, and he watched them melt and turn to ashes.

He burned all his ID cards. He started with his passport. Soon, among other IDs, he had destroyed his driver's license, bank cards, concealed weapons license.

When Lee finished, he thought, 'No turning back, now. But, this had to be done. These IDs could be used to find me. Someone could steal my wallet. Or, if I hid the IDs here, they could pick the lock to my room, and find my IDs in here. Either way would likely lead for it to be game over for me. Now, to clean up.'

After Lee made sure there was nothing but ashes, he got a bottle of water, and pour a little bit of water into the trash can, to stop the smoldering. When he was sure it was no longer hot. He took the trash can into the hotel bedroom.

Lee closed the sliding glass door, and the curtains, behind himself.

He then found the plastic groceries bag he had brought with him, earlier that day.

He took the trash can, and the plastic bag, into the bathroom.

Lee turned on the bathroom light, and used some toilet paper to clean out the ashes from the bottom of the trash can. He put the toilet paper, and the ashes, into the plastic bag. When he was finished, he saw that the bottom of the steel trash can was fine.

He tied up the plastic bag, and he set the trash can back by the refrigerator, on the floor, with the closed plastic bag place by the trash can.

As he when back to wash his hands, he thought, 'I will dump that plastic bag into another trash can, elsewhere in the hotel, tomorrow. And I think I will just head to sleep now.'

Lee then got ready for bed, turned off the lights in his suite, headed for his bed and he went to sleep.

(_)

The next few weeks were filled with interesting misadventures for Lee. Many of those adventures involved Sam.

Lee had found that he had developed a wonderful friendship with Sam.

They played poker a lot, sometimes including other people. Lee found he tended to win more than he lost. And not just from Sam. Lee won money from others, at playing poker. Lee found that was he really developing his poker face skills very well. With him being able to remain calm on command, at a moments notice.

Also, the two men being together, others tended to back off, and leave them alone.

Lee found it odd that while Sam usually shuffled and dealt their cards, Lee won more often, than not, against him. Still, when one lost money to the other, they didn't seem to mind. And Lee made sure not to lose too much during an unlucky streak, which was rare for him.

Also, when it was just Lee and Sam, Sam let Lee experiment with his precognition and playing poker. And the results were interesting, as Lee was slowly able to develop his precognitive abilities further than they naturally were. Lee's psychic ability seemed to amaze Sam. As Sam found that this added ability made playing Lee even more unpredictable.

In addition, they played other games with each other. At the hotel, they played pool. Though, that ended quickly, when Sam showed how good a pool shark he was. When he broke the pool balls, and ran the table, in one turn.

Fortunately, Lee had not been betting money at the time. And Sam just wanted to show how good he was at other games.

Lee complimented Sam on his skills. Though, after such a demonstration, Lee fell back to playing Sam at poker, where he felt that he would have better chances with Sam. And Same did not mind, Lee's reaction to his skills.

During this time, when Lee was not with Sam, Lee worked on his plan, while learning more about the city of Plata Podrido. This included him mapping out, in his head, where the elevator bays and staircases were, in the Devil's Hotel. So, he could come up with several escape routes, if need be.

Among other things and places Lee learned about, he found two other places that he liked to eat at.

One place Lee ate at, from time to time, depending on his mood, was a american style, greasy spoon diner, which served breakfast, lunch, and supper, any time they were open.

The diner was open from six AM, to midnight. And Lee came in there regularly, at different times, to have breakfast, lunch, or dinner.

The diner was called, the Last Resort Diner.

The diner was the only place in town which Lee found to serve good sweet iced tea, and grits.

And while there were occasional workers doing their shifts, three of the workers stood out to Lee.

Those three were two of the waitresses, and one of the cooks.

The two waitresses were a black haired fair skin woman, and redheaded fair skin woman. Both women were slender, young, and pretty. The redhead had short hair, while the black haired woman long hair that hung loosely, down to her shoulders blades.

The black haired woman was named, Lori. The redhead was named, Mary.

There cook was a muscular black haired man with tanned skin. His name was George.

Though, Lee found George to be a good cook, half the time. The other half... Well, the food was edible.

Lee was always polite to all three of them, and they turned the favor.

When the food was good, he complimented them. When it was not, he said nothing. He also made sure to tip those whom serve his food.

And those three seemed to be coming into work every day, pulling eighteen hour shifts. Lee did not know how they did it, and he knew it was rude to ask. Thus, he did not bring up the subject. Though, he admired their work ethic.

The other place Lee found, that he liked to it at, was a food truck that was manned by two slender, young, fair skinned, pretty blond women. One had short blond hair, and the other had long blond hair. Though, they were clearly not sisters.

The two women were based on a street, on the eastern beach of the island.

The two women served sandwiches, including hamburgers, and french fries. Also, they served bottles of water and various sodas.

Lee preferred to go there for lunch. And he also complimented them on their food, and tipped them well.

They appreciated Lee's manners, and his money.

Though, Lee never did get the names of the two women.

(_)

Over three weeks into Lee's stay at the Devil's Hotel, one night, Lee was in the Devil's Hotel restaurant.

Sam had already turned in for the evening. After he paid his tab, he left.

Meanwhile, Lee was drinking the last of his bottle of beer, at the bar counter, with the counter in front of him, as he faced the left side of the room.

Lee found that according to his wrist watch, it was midnight. And as he looked around, he saw only him, and Melvin, the bartender, were in the room.

Lee could sense that he was slightly buzzed from the beers he had been drinking that night. Though, he was feeling more relax, than anything else.

Lee still had a little bit of beer in his bottle, as he set it on the counter in front of him.

Lee thought, 'I am not completely drunk. So, much as just buzz. I am more relaxed, than happy, sad, or angry. This is just the way I like to feel.'

'And as long as I don't drive, I should be fine. And I am going to sleep, in my room, after this. So, that will not be a problem. Still, this is a good opportunity to learn some things about, Melvin.'

Lee saw that Melvin was near him, behind the bar counter, and he was drying some been mugs by hand, with a dish rag.

Lee said, “Hey Melvin. You want to talk about anything? It is just you and me right now. And I am in a good mood to talk.”

Melvin set down his glass and rag, on the shelf on the wall, behind the bar. He then looked over at Lee. He smiled, as he turned, and walked took a few steps closer to Lee.

Melvin came to a stop, as he stood across the counter from Lee. While looking at Lee, he responded, in a casual tone of voice, “Sure. What you do want to talk about?”

Lee replied, “That depends. What do you want to talk about, Melvin?”

Melvin asked, “Well Lee, I was wondering. Where are you from?”

Lee returned Melvin's smile, as he said, “I am from the southeastern United States. I am what you would call a redneck. You?”

Melvin answered, “Russia.”

Lee complimented, “Now, that I think about it, I can barely tell the hint of an accent in your voice.”

Melvin replied, “Thank you. I have a lot of experience with speaking english. So, why are you here?”

Lee thought, 'I will keep it vague. But, might as well be honest. If I am going to learning in front him, I have to give a little to receive a little.' He answered, “Trouble with the law. How about yourself?”

Melvin said, “About the same. Only a lot more complicated for myself.”

Lee offered, “I am all ears.”

Melvin countered, “Isn't that my job?”

Both men chuckled at Melvin's joke.

As they calmed down, Melvin took a deep breath. He then slowly let out that breath.

Melvin the looked back at Lee's eyes, and he saw that Lee's eyes were warm, with a sense of compassion.

Lee saw Melvin's eyes, and he that Melvin's eyes showed a very tired person. And not just physically. But, emotionally, as well.

Melvin stated, “Given my life. I consider myself a very lucky man to get out of my troubles in one piece. It started when I was young, and I was drafted into the Russia military. One thing lead to another, and I ended up a paratrooper.”

“This was during a time, that I sent into the middle of a very horrible war. After my comrades and I got out of that hellhole, in one piece, we discharged from the Russian military. And my military company decided to go freelance.”

“I should have quit right then. But, at the time, I was still young and stupid. Though, the city we moved to wasn't that bad. It was summer all year around. And except for the occasional crazy, everyone knew to leave us alone. Our captain took care of us. She cared out all of us.”

“Then, things got weird. Really weird.”

“But, eventually, things started calm down, but our sergeant resigned.”

“Last I heard, he hooked up with two kids, he is on an endless vacation. Lucky bastard.”

“It was calm for a while under our captain's command. We had many adventures. The captain even got a brown haired girlfriend along the way named, B. I guess time can wear down many people's resolve. Not that we minded. We always figured she swung that way. It explained a lot.”

Lee did not miss the pronoun drops. And while he did not show his reaction on the outside, he thought with wonder, 'Holy crap. Melvin was a member of Hotel Moscow. And with the mention of, B, he has to be from the Hotel Moscow I wrote about. This is the first time I have met a reality traveler, face to face.'

'And this is a good, casual meeting. It could not be a better meeting between the two of us. Though, I am not telling him, who I really am. Also, he is clearly not after me. I think he is hiding from them, like I am. And Melvin is clearly an alias. I have to find out more. For any other reason than I kind of left the Hotel Moscow plot lines open ended. I wonder how things played out?'

Lee asked, “So, what happened next?”

Melvin coyly answered, “Let's just say, that except for the captain, we got older. And many of us had too many regrets. The captain decided to offer us all eternal youth, for a price. Everyone else still alive, took up the captain's offer, but me. I didn't realize at the time that her offer was more of an order, than an offer.”

“I ran. I grabbed my... traveling equipment, but the equipment was shot during my escape. It was totaled, but the equipment still got me here. And I have been making the most out of being here, for the last five years.”

Lee thought, 'Meaning, except for this guy, the rest of the surviving members of Hotel Moscow had the vat process done to them. They have undergone a gender change to a woman, and youth restoration with that super-soldier serum.'

'On the other hand, Melvin wanted to remain a man. He ran, got a reality device, it was shot, and the damage to the device created a blind jump to this reality, for Melvin.'

'Maybe, this incident, of Melvin coming here, five years ago, was even the original crack to this reality. I don't know. But, it was five years ago, for him, and he has been hiding out here since then. Just like I am doing now. And being a bartender is wise job for the situation. It lets him keep an ear to the ground, without people asking him to many questions.'

'Also, this means Balalaika could still has her crew. And they are stronger, faster, and more powerful than ever. That could cause me problems, later on. Though, given the personalities of those after me, I doubt they will send Hotel Moscow to hunt me down. They want to personally deal with me.'

'And I admire Melvin for being this honest and open with me. I respect Melvin's wishes. And I will help him if he needs it.'

Melvin continued, “I have not seen any of them, or whom I think they would look like. So, I feel that I am in the clear. And this is a good life. This job pays okay. And clientele is always interesting. And the local people, the beaches, and weather, most of the time, are nice...”

From the expression of Melvin's face and eyes, Lee saw something occur to Melvin.

Melvin commented, in a sober tone of voice, “Oh god. As far as I know, I am literally the last man standing, from that town.” His tone of voice then began to contain a bit of mirth, as he continued, “You could say I traded one hotel for another hotel.”

Lee thought, 'That would be an understatement. And the first reality traveler I meet, is literally the last man standing from the situation. Now, that is ironic.'

'Still, it is good that he has not seen any of them since then. And unless Balalaika, or B, comes, I doubt anyone else would recognize you, Melvin. I know that Hotel Moscow members did not associate closely with those outside your group. That means I can still bait the others, without risk of you getting caught in the proverbial net they will try to use to catch me. Though...'

Lee suggested, “It sounds like you need a drink.”

Melvin chuckled.

Melvin pulled out a cold bottle of beer, from a fridge, under the counter, by them.

Melvin opened it.

Lee used his right hand to pick up his bottle of beer, from the counter. He toasted, “Live free. Die free.” He then drank the rest of his beer, and set the empty bottle on the counter.

Melvin accepted the toast, as he replied, “I hear that. So, what song did the lobby of the Devil's Hotel play for you, when you entered the hotel, for the first time?”

Lee thought, 'Interesting. I need to learn more about this matter.' He commented, “So, that wasn't my imagination. How does that work?”

Melvin stated, “I am not sure, myself. And I am not sure I want to know. But, the song that plays when you first enter, is the theme you are likely to live by while here.”

“Sometimes, it will also play a song when you walk in to a lobby with someone, or a group, with the song being the theme for you and those with you. You can always tell that it is for you, if you just walk in, and the music playing on the lobby the speakers suddenly changes, and starts playing another song.”

“That new song is your theme, during your stay here And it is a good way to be forewarned about what is coming your way. Though, the lobby ever plays a second song, later in your visit. Just for yourself. Unless it has been a while sense you have been to the Devil's Hotel.”

“So, I ask again. What song did you hear when you walked into the lobby, for the first time?”

Lee thought, 'I wonder why the lobby of this hotel played, Deranged, for Sam and I?... Though, I guess I might as well answer him. I will mention the song that the front lobby played for me. And I will not talk about the song that played for both Sam and I.'

Lee responded, “To answer your question, the lobby played, Hotel California.”

Melvin said, “Ouch. It looks like you are going to be stuck here for a while.”

Lee thought, 'Actually, given I am dying of cancer. That might be a hopeful song, in that I may have more time than I realize. Though, I long since decided, soon after I got here, that it is best not to time of my cancer. It just detract what I need to do. Still, I wonder.'

Lee shrugged, as inquired, “It could be worse. How about you? What song did lobby play for you?”

Melvin answered, “Welcome to the Jungle. And my life here has lived up to that theme. And what my life was like, before I came here, that is saying something.”

Lee agreed, in thought, 'It sure is.'

Lee then heard Melvin mutter under his breath, “It is not fun lacking back up. But then, you do what you got to do.”

Lee thought, 'Though, I am sure it is nothing that a former member of Hotel Moscow cannot handle.'

Lee suggested, “How about we change the subject? What movies do you like?”

Melvin said, “Well, my tastes have a wide range, when it comes to entertainment. But, I have found that I am a fan of Vin Diesel, along his action and sci-fi movies.”

Lee complimented, “Nice choice. Mister Diesel makes good movies. He is one of those few actors that appreciates, and understands, the genres of the roles of the movies he plays in.”

Melvin smiled, as he replied, “I know. I am especially drawn to the Riddick character he plays. I like the way he uses those knives. Riddick reminds me of myself, when I was young and stupid.”

Lee thought, 'Really?...' He said, “That is all very interesting. And Riddick is an interesting character. Not a hero. Not really a villain. He is just a guy that wants to be left alone.”

Melvin agreed, “Exactly.”

Lee mentioned, “And I must say, that Riddick game, Escape from Butchers Bay, is one of my all time favor first person shooter video games.”

Melvin agreed, “Yea. I played that on my laptop computer. It is a good game. Very stealth based, with good shadows and nightvision mechanics. Well, it is getting late, and I need to close.”

Lee got out of his stool. As he stood up, he pulled out his wallet. He said, “No problem. I was planning on heading to bed anyway. Good night, Melvin.”

Melvin replied, “Good night, Lee. And I enjoyed this conversation.” He headed for the cash register

Lee also walked over to the cashier register, as he stated, “Same here, Melvin.”

Lee then paid his bar tab, with Melvin. After which, he left the bar, for his room, to get some sleep.

(_)

A week later, after Lee got his hair dyed black, again, and he had used some of the money had had won from Sam, and a few others, to pay the front desk to extend his stay at the Devil's Hotel. He had paid for two more months to stay at the hotel.

Now, Lee was ready to leave the bait. He guessed that the security recordings of him entering the Devil's Hotel the first day he came to the hotel, had already been deleted. Because, there was no reason to keep them.

Lee had done nothing, and as far as he knew, there had been no disturbances during his stay at the Devil's Hotel. Though, he knew that was about to change.

Lee was careful, not to be recorded. Over the last few weeks, Lee had casually been taking his time, walking around the hotel. And he mentally noted where the security cameras were, from the corners of his eyes. He also noted the angles, and he did see a few blind spots.

One such blind spot, he noted, was on the outside concrete patio, leading to the beach. The patio was fairly long, and large. And there were outdoor tables. With each table surrounded by four outdoor cushions chairs. With large, open umbrellas sticking up from the tables, shading the chairs, and those sitting in the chairs.

The exact blind spot was a set of chairs, on the corner of the patio, against the building.

As Lee was about side, on the beach side patio, he looked around that morning, he saw his mark.

Lee saw tanned skinned man, with brown hair, whom was wearing in pants, and a loose t-shirt. The man was sitting at a table, in the blind spot. He was working on a laptop computer, on the table, with a computer mouse placed on the bottom of the laptop, below the built in keyboard. And the man had a frustrated look on his face.

Lee thought, 'This is my chance. There is a blind spot there. Plus, the open umbrellas. I just need to play my cards right. I can do this.'

Lee walked up to man. As he came to a stop under the umbrella the man was under, he asked, in a polite tone of voice, “Good morning, sir. Are you having computer problems?” He thought, 'If I am under the umbrella, and the blond spot, no one can read my lips from the recordings.'

The man looked up at Lee, with a pleading look in his eyes. He answered, in english, with a spanish accent, “Yes. My sons last night played some video games. Now the icons are too small, and the screen is too bright, and hurts my eyes to look at. And I am trying to figure out how to fix it, because I have some work I need to do on it. While, my wife plays on the beach with our sons.”

Lee glanced at the beach, where he saw a woman playing with two young boys. Due to the slightly cooler weather, they were in pants, shirt, and shoes. And they were not going swimming. But, they were clearly having fun.

Lee then looked back at the man, as he thought, 'This guy, and likely his family, is spanish. Not mexican, but actual spanish, from Spain. The accents between the two are easy to tell, if one knows what to hear for. I have been here long enough to know the difference.'

'I would guess this family is vacationing here, at this time, to save money, due to it being in the off season. That being said, I think I know what his boys did to his computer.'

'If they were playing games, they would likely set the laptop to high resolution. That would make the icons smaller. And the difficulty in seeing is due to the boys raising the gamma setting on the screen, so they could see the game they were playing better. And like small children, they forgot to return what they played with back to the way it was. Still, this is a wonderful opportunity.'

Lee offered, “I think I know what is wrong with your computer. And it is an easy fix. It will take me about a minute.”

The man replied, “Have at it. It is useless to me as it is.”

Lee sat down down in a chair, beside the man, at the table. He pulled the laptop to him. He looked at the screen. Even though the text was in spanish, which Lee did not know, the icons, symbols, and numerical symbols were the same as his computer, back home.

Lee quickly use the mouse to lower the screen resolution, and lower the gamma setting down, to where it did not hurt one's eyes to look at the screen.

Less than a minute after Lee has started working on the laptop computer, he was finished.

Lee turned the laptop screen in the direction of the man, as he inquired, “How is this?”

The man looked at it, and he smiled. He said, “Perfect. Thank you very much. Is there anything I can do for you?”

Lee thought, 'Now, is my chance.' He politely requested, “Just two items of note. First, could I use your computer to leave a message on a forum, real quick. It is nothing special. Just one sentence.”

The man said, “Okay. And the other favor?”

Lee replied, “Spend some time with your family. You are clearly on vacation, you might as well enjoy it.” He thought, 'These are the special moments in one's life. And he should not be wasting them working. When he should be spending time with his wife and kids.'

The man's smile widened, as he responded, “A wise suggestion. And here.” The man then turned the laptop in Lee's direction.

Lee quickly found the icon to the same web browser he used. Even in spanish, he know where all the setting and icons in the browser would do.

He quickly typed in english website forum he address, in the address bar. He then pressed, the enter key, on the laptop keyboard.

After the website came up in english, he found the login section.

As he type in his name and password, he thought, 'This is one of the website forums, I used a lot, to talk about my stories. I am glad I remember the account name and password. Also, I am sure it is being monitored the women, and maybe the authorities. And while there is risk this my backfire one me, very badly. This is still the best location on the internet, for me to place my bait. Because, it is tied to the stories I posted. And it uses the same account name, as the pseudonym I used for my stories.'

'In addition to this, I will need to cover my tracks.'

After Lee logged in, Lee went to the thread about his stories. He posted a one sentence message, with him creating a new thread in the forum, to do so.

The title of the topic of the thread, and the message in the body of the thread was the same. The message being, “Sorry about everything.”

Lee then closed out the tab to the website, and he pulled up the default homepage for the man's browser. He then type in the address to a news site. And then delete that tab page as well. So, if the man pulled up what page Lee has pulled up last, it would not be the forum website.

Next, Lee went into the browser settings, and he deleted the history of going to that specific website, and he also deleted the login, and tracking cookies, from that website. But, Lee left everything else on the man's computer alone.

Lee then closed the web browser, and turned the laptop screen towards the direction of the man, as he stated, “Here you go. And think you for letting me use it.”

The man moved his computer mouse off the laptop keyboard. He then closed the screen over the keyboard. Next, the man looked over at Lee, as he responded, “No problem. And have a great day.”

Lee got up from his seat. He looked at the man, as he thought, 'Now, one more question for this family man.' Lee inquired, in a casual tone of voice, “You too. And by the way, how long as you staying at the hotel?”

The man answered, “We are leaving in a few days.”

Lee said, “Okay. Have a great time.” He mentally added, 'With luck, he will be gone before the women get here. And my tracks will be completely covered.' He then turned, and walked away from the man, and back towards the beach entrance door to the hotel.

As Lee opened the door, from the reflection in the glass of the door, Lee saw that the man had joined his wife, and kids, in playing on the beach with them.

Lee smiled at the sight, for a few seconds. He then entered the hotel, and shut the door behind him.

(_)

A few days later, after the spanish man, and his family, that Lee had helped, left. It was the middle of the afternoon. But, the sky was covered in dark, ominous clouds, that blotted out the sun.

It had not yet started raining, but their was lightning and thunder outside.

Inside the Devil's Hotel, there were several people in the front lobby, sitting down in the various chairs and couches of the room. They listening to the music playing in the lobby, as they waited for the storm to clear, and they could to about their day.

Among these people, included Sam and Lee. They were sitting in cushioned armchairs, across from each other, as they place poker. Between them was a small coffee table, they used to place their money on, and for the pot, in the center of the table.

Lee was facing lobby entrance doors, and Sam was facing the check in desk.

Sam had won the last hand. But, Lee didn't mind.

As Sam dealt out another hand of cards, Lee thought, 'Sam and I both decided we did not want to risk getting soaked, if the bottom fell out on the storm, while we were on our way to the Rats Nest. So, we plan to stay here all day. Though, we haven't played poker all day. We got some lunch together, and we played a few rounds of pool in the game room.'

'And I am glad I didn't bet money on those pool games, because Sam is one hell of a pool shark. The man can play at a professional level.'

'He can do angles with the stick and cue ball that I had never thought possible in real life. I didn't even mind being beaten so thoroughly at pool, because just watching him play pool was entertainment in of itself. I saw same use the cue ball, and other balls, to sink five of his balls, in order, with one hit of his stick. I would not have believed it, if I had not seen it.'

'And that was just today. I remember when he ran the table on me, the first time we played. Just to show me he could. I am glad I don't bet money with him, at playing pool.'

'Also, it is nice that the hotel staff does not mind us playing cards here. Though, Melvin stated we could not play cards in the bar. He just has an issue with it. He said he did not want his bar to end up like a dive in a town he once lived in. I would bet money he was talking about the Yellowflag. And that is understandable. Anyway, Sam and I respected his wishes.'

Just then, the song changed to the opening beats to, Ballroom Blitz, by The Sweet.

While Lee did not show it on the outside, inwardly worried, as he thought, 'Oh no. What kind of walking storm could warrant that song to start playing?'

Lee looked at the front doors, and who he saw nearly cause him to drop his poker face.

Fortunately, after weeks of practice, Lee had taught himself how to remain calm in the face of immediate danger.

And danger just walked in though the front door. And she bought lots of her friends.

Up front were Revy, and Rock, as women. Both of them were wearing their usual clothing, with Rock wearing the long sleeved blouse and pants that Lee wrote her wear in her stories. Revy had on her crop top, and her blue denim cut-offs shorts.

Lee also saw that Revy did not have on her dual shoulder holsters, nor her semi-automatic nine millimeter ninety-two FS Inox pistols, in those holsters. In addition, on the ends of the grips of the pistols, where the magazines where exposed, showed the loaded magazines in the weapons were also the same stainless steel finish as the pistols were.

Behind her was Shenhua, Sawyer, and a small white haired, in a white maids dress, whom Lee guessed was Lotton. Shenhua and Sawyer where wearing their usual clothing. Shenhua was in her red, flowery qipao and white coat with yellow trimmings. And Sawyer in her usual purple and black goth clothing.

The next set was Akira, Natsuru, and Ranma. All of them were women. And unlike the Lagoon members of the group, the three of them wore casual clothing and not their usual outfits.

The next two people were Aeryn Sun Crichton, and a younger, dark blue haired woman, whom Lee guessed was Violin.

The next set of people were a mix of eight, older teenage girls, whom from their hair colors and skin tones, were all three of the trio sisters, Mikoto, Nodoka, and Yurika, and the Lagoon sisters, Molly, Sarah, Kristina, Rebecca, and Yukio. All of the teenagers were carrying luggage in their hands, and in some cases bags, with the straps on the bag, on their shoulders.

Lee saw that none of them had their weapons on their person. Or, that they were so hidden, that he could not tell.

Lee was able to maintain his poker face, as he thought, with concern, and disbelief, 'Oh, no, no, no. This is bad. Very, very bad. And the only good news is that none of them appeared to be armed, with their weapon on their bodies. Though, I am sure a few are concealing weapons, in their clothing... And the rest of their weapons are in their luggage.'

'Also, I need to get Sam to pay attention to the women, just in case they cause in trouble inside the lobby.'

Lee tapped Sam on his right foot. Sam looked at Lee in his eyes, as Lee looked into Sam's eyes.

So, as to not attract attention, in stead of speaking, or pointing with his fingers, Lee slightly tilted his head slightly to his right side, towards the women.

Sam understood what Lee was asking him to do, as he turned, and looked at the women, with Lee, for a few seconds, as the women walked towards the check in desk.

For a second, Lee's eyes and Rock's eyes met.

A few seconds later, both Lee and Sam went back to looking at their cards, but Lee continued to use the corner of his right eye to look at the women.

Lee remained calm on the outside, as he mentally lamented, 'I cannot believe I just looked Rock in her eyes. That is amazing.'

'And now that I think about it. Because they have their weapons in their luggage, instead of on their person, as they check in, means they are not looking for an immediate fight.'

'Also, I don't see any telepaths, nor empaths, that I recognize. I am thankful for such small mercies. If a psychic was here right now, they would likely find me on the spot, and it would be all over for myself. I still have a chance now. Though, a small one.'

'I am also thankful not see the Lovelace maids, with them.'

'But, this is still not good. There are too many of them here for my plan to work. And it was such a simple plan.'

Just then, the bottom fell out of the storm, and outside, the rain began pour.

To be continued.

up
42 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Another Interesting Book

Well, it looks like you have gotten started on another very interesting Book. I have enjoyed tremendously the previous postings. I'm glad that you post fairly close together because it keeps my frustration levels lower. I am only remotely familiar with the Animes you refer to but am familiar with the movies. Keep them coming, they are great, and I promise not to inform anyone of your location.
Thanks