Felicia's Second Life Chapter 2

Printer-friendly version
Princess_Knight_Felicia.jpg

Good evening, everyone. My name is Felicia Belphere Metrune. I am the only daughter of Baron Alphonse Lartes Metrune. I am 9 years old. I haven't always been Baron Metrune's daughter though.

I was originally a 29 year old man who lived in Cornwall. One day I got hit by a truck and you've probably guessed it, I was reincarnated into what seems to be medieval Europe.

So I built up some industry in father's poor barony using my new-found wealth. Then suddenly, after nearly 10 years of peace, somebody had the bright idea of wanting to go to war with us. As if being poor wasn't enough of a problem already.

Felicia's Second Life Chapter 2
A tale of love (?) and change (lol) in a medieval era.


By Shinieris

Hi everyone, it's your favourite reincarnated Lady Felicia again. How are you all doing? Me? I'm doing good, well, a little dusty, though.

See, I'm currently at the closed off tin mine at the far western border of the barony. With the heavier dependence on iron these days, tin, which was used mostly in bronzewares, had its value fall so low that father considered it was too expensive to run. So he had it closed off.

It was a good business decision. If something's not working out, better to stop it and focus on something else. If I knew what father knew, I would likely do the same too. Fortunately, I came from the modern world, I knew a lot more than he did. Heheh.

I was originally Malcolm Stokes, born and raised in Cornwall. I died in Cornwall too, hit by a truck while walking home from a pub. So how did I become Lady Felicia Belphere Metrune of the Barony of Mruna?

Maybe you forgot, but I reincarnated. Yes, I reincarnated into a girl. On my 6th birthday, I suddenly received all the memories of my 29 year previous life. It put me into a week-long coma, but apart from remembering most of the stuff from my previous life, I was fine.

With that knowledge, I set about to improve the barony in my own way.

The first step was agricultural revolution. I aimed to improve the farming practices in the barony and improve food production in our mostly infertile farmlands. It was so overly successful that it could be called a failure. I alone produced almost as much food as the whole barony put together, unfortunately much of it was sitting idle in my personal granary, becoming bait for mice. The lone merchant that came to this isolated barony didn't have enough goods to barter with me. In summer he came back and purchased my grains with gold, but he still didn't have enough gold to purchase all that I had offered. Still, because of that, I had 30 gold coins that I kept in my stash under lock and key.

Gold coins are what high ranking nobles and royals use. Silver coins are what people normally use for high volume or high value purchases. Generally people would use the copper coins, either the small copper (copper coin with a circular hole) or the big copper (single sheet copper coin). For the majority of the rural areas though, none of these coins were in use, people traded through barter and job payments were paid in foodstuff.

The second step was talent development. The first one was of course my lifelong best friend, Lilicia. I taught her maths reading and writing, a knowledge generally only reserved for nobility and wealthy freemen. Next I taught the same things as well as modern farming knowledge to Lemy, another of my childhood friends. I intended for him to be the supervisor of my farm, but after three years of watching him work on my farm, I believed that he might've been destined for something greater. Together with my three other childhood friends, the insecure girl Serin, the slow-witted brute Somme and the short-tempered boy Gani, these five made up the first of my farmhands.

I think father intended for these five people to be my loyal retainers in the future, but he probably didn't expect them to spend much of their training on farming instead. Father still didn't neglect their martial training, though. So in this sense, they were more like warrior farmers instead of common serfs. Even Lili and Serin were taught how to wield daggers, swords and how to test for poison. I didn't think they needed to go so far as learning to test for poison in my food (by eating it themselves), but father and Sir Mosro believed that it was absolutely essential.

Mother, on the other hand, just made a small smile and said ,"Oh my, oh my."

Mother is so unhelpful.

Anyway, I also ended up training Somme's 8 year old little brother Gonne. The moment I looked at him, I could tell that Gonne hid inside him a cleverness and a yearning for a different life. I could tell that he was greatly dissatisfied with being born as a serf's son. So I also took him under my wing and taught him reading & writing, maths and bookkeeping. I was expecting him to become a successful merchant who would owe me a life debt one day.

Look at me, only 9 years old and already a scheming little bitch. >_<

Anyway, my third step was turning the barony into a fully industrial area. This was mostly because with the success of my farm, I attracted the attention of many undernourished serfs begging me for work. Some of them even came from other baronies nearby. I would have loved to help, they were my people too, but I didn't need 10 people working the same field. I had the irrigation ditches and the oxen-driven ploughs and seed drills for that. Regardless, I couldn't just refuse.

So I started a paper industry. I bet this is expected by those of you who read a lot of stories concerning time travel to the middle ages. You need to remember though, that this isn't medieval Europe. The paper-making process has been known in this region for at least 100 years. It is an involved process, and paper is still expensive, though not as expensive as parchment or papyrus. My operation however, aimed at producing affordable paper which was thin enough to be used as wrapping paper. In comparison, all of the other paper factories in this region produce thick, hard, cardboard-like paper made of flax fibre and wood dust.

Okay, so I'm hearing some voices clamouring for a printing press. There's a reason why nobody has attempted that yet. It's because our writing system is fairly complex. Unlike English, we have 34 different 'strokes' and each stroke adds together to make a word. If I want to make a printing press, I will have to make 479 different print heads, that's how many words we have in common use. If you want to compare it to Earth's writing system, it's similar to Chinese Hanyu or Japanese Kanji. To understand more, please refer to the example below.

Forlendia writing.jpg

Some time after starting my paper business, I found an iron ore deposit in the rocky patch about 5 miles west of the town while looking for a rumoured herd of horses to drag back to my farm. I didn't find the horses, but I did find a lot of iron ore. It seemed like father knew of it, but didn't have the resources to fully make use of it except for small scale open field minings at the start of every winter.

With the discovery of the large iron deposit, I went ahead and built a foundry/armory as well. We already had a town blacksmith, but he dealt in wrought iron products. Wrought iron is soft and not very good as armour or weapons, though people make do with it since there's no better alternative. Unfortunately nobody knew how to make a steel foundry, even I could barely recall the basic setup of a steel foundry, so construction had been very slow.

Then I found out about the tin mines and I figured, great, this will definitely solve one of my worrying problems. What problem you ask? Food spoilage, of course. I don't think I need to mention canning.

So you're wondering how can a 9 year old girl afford to build all these? And if a 9 year old girl can afford to build all these, why didn't my father the baron build it in the first place?

I need to remind you that we don't use coins here. Payment consists of grains, mostly barley or rye, with wheat normally being valued higher. With the success of my farm, I had these in excess. In a way, you can say that I'm currently richer than father. It isn't like father is incompetent, it is just that father is a knight. What would knights know about farming, or mining?

"My lady, would you like to stand a little farther away? Your dress is getting dusty," Lili suggested as she pulled my hand.

I looked at the dust that collected on the hem of my dress. "You're right, let's move aside a bit. Mother will cry if she sees my dress in this state."

"There's not even a need for you to be here, my lady."

"I need to see how much tin we have. But I guess you're right, we'll go back after Somme returns with the tin ore."

Somme returned half an hour later, carrying with him a basket filled with mostly tin ore and some trace minerals. From what he said, it seemed like I had enough tin for what I had in mind for at least 100 years with current mining practices. That's an estimate for that mine alone. There could have been other tin deposits nearby, but I had no need for so much tin.

******

As with middle age Europe, this land wasn't free from conflict. One day father returned from a meeting wih Duke Melstad, to whom we swear fealty, and relayed to us a disturbing story. It seemed that the neighbouring kingdom of Surfes was gearing up for war. And our king, His Majesty King Lodris The Second, believed that Surfes's target would likely be us, judging from generations of conflict across our border for one reason or another. Nobody even remembered why we started fighting each other, but I guess men just didn't need a reason to fight. No matter which world you go to, wars will always be a common occurence.

Since it was the middle of winter, there wouldn't be any war yet. But come summer, after the fields were harvested and resown, we could expect a declaration from Surfes. As one who held the title of baron, father would of course be expected to fight in the war as well as provide troops and supplies befitting his position for the war efforts. The supplies part was easy; while the barony granaries weren't exactly filled to satisfaction, I could easily supplement it with my own stock. The troops part was a little more troubling.

As mentioned previously, our army consisted of one (1) knight, and that was Sir Mosro. Everybody else were volunteer peasants. Sure, we could raise maybe 200 fighting men, but these fighting men would mostly be armed with pitchforks and cloth armour. We had neither the money nor the equipment to arm them properly.

This meant that these peasants would likely suffer heavy casualties.

I wanted to volunteer my foundry, but it hadn't yet finished being built and probably would not be finished until the end of spring. By then it would probably be too late to start making weapons for 200 peasant soldiers.

Of course, father didn't blame me at all. When I mentioned it, he just pushed it aside and told me not to think too much about it. Then he told me to go to sleep because it was late. Obviously, he wasn't expecting anything from me because of my age. He probably thought he was being considerate, but it pissed me off instead.

Still, as a knight and a baron, this was father's forte. I who came from a world where wars were fought in faraway countries only knew things taught in school and on television. What would I know about medieval wars? Even despite practicing swords with my childhood friends (with leather gloves on to keep my skin soft) because Sir Mosro refused to teach his boss's daughter swordfighting techniques, I was no good with it.

I could lift wooden swords just fine, and probably could fight well with more practice. However, the moment I tried to lift a real sword, I gave up. I never knew that real swords were so heavy. Forget fighting with it, I couldn't even wield it without going weak in the knees. Compared to that, a spear was more my style, but spears were for peasants. Nobles would be laughed at if they fought with spears.

I later found out that father ordered 80 spears from the local blacksmith while ordering 100 bows and enough arrows from the merchant. He also had the carpenter make 100 round shields for the spearmen. To pay for it, he had me pay him an early land rent with my large food stock, so I would be exempted from paying land rent in the summer. He also charged me a fee for the license to mine the barony's minerals, so I ended up having to take out 18 gold coins for it, which, on top of my land rent, would be enough for all the weapons and probably some minimal leather body armour as well. I offered to lend him the rest of my gold, but he said there was no need for it. He told me to keep it in case he was captured and needed to be ransomed. But I knew he was just joking; since barons swear fealty towards the local duke, it was the duke's responsibility to pay their ransoms if they were captured.

******

War. It really came. Being located in the southeastern part of the kingdom, far from the Surfesian border, the Barony of Mruna wasn't directly affected by the declaration of war. Despite that, since father was a landed baron, we were obligated to send military assistance to the Duchy of Selestin, where most of the fighting would take place.

The Kingdom of Surfes, ruled by a warlike king by the name of King Garren The Mighty, is located to the northeast border of our Kingdom of Forlendia. The Kingdom of Surfes is significantly bigger than Forlendia, especially after the Surfesians captured the River Country, a former protectorate of Forlendia with several big rivers and hundreds upon hundreds of miles of fertile farmlands. While Forlendia had managed to hold their ground since then, they never succeeded in retaking River Country. So about 10 years ago, the former king of Forlendia and the current king of Surfes signed a truce. However, it seemed that the king of Surfes had now broken the truce and was mobilizing past the River Country.

The ducal decree to deliver military aid to Selestin came shortly after harvest. Father, Sir Mosro (and his squires) and our 200 peasant spearmen and archers would meet up with the ducal army at the ducal capital of Renus. Once all of the ducal forces had arrived, they would march together towards Selestin. We were expected to prepare our own provisions to last until the start of winter, when it would be too cold to fight.

Of course, this would mean we would have less manpower to sow the seeds. I wasn't worried, though; with my 'inventions', including the new harvester which trapped stalks of grain for the 3 sickle blades to cut and for the harvester to collect, we had little need for manual harvesting for the summer. Men generally worked the mines and cut the trees up until the conscription. So I wasn't worried much about our farm work.

You ask why we receive a ducal decree instead of the royal decree? The way our nobility works is a little different. You see, it goes like this: barons and baronets swear fealty to the dukes or counts that give them land, and the dukes and counts in turn swear fealty to the king. So in essence, while all of us swear allegiance to the king, as a barony, we are under the command of Duke Melstad who lives in Renus. On the other hand, knights and manorial lords can belong to any of these ranks, but their ranks aren't dictated by the ranks of their lords. In other words, a royal knight isn't superior in any way to a baron's knight, unless the royal knight is also a royal bodyguard, which gives him a voice of similar rank to a duke's in matters relating to the royalty he protects.

Maybe you noticed in the previous chapter that my mother's family name was also Melstad. You got it right, my mother is the current Duke Melstad's second daughter. So that makes Duke Melstad my grandfather. Father is also descended from the original line of Melstad, the Rusenfel. My great great great grandfather was the second son of the Rusenfel and was given the barony of Mruna following his mother's request to the first son. At first, out of spite, great great great grandfather was granted a rocky and infertile land, the place where our tin mining operations now centered. His nephew, the first son of his brother, pitied great great great grandfather who couldn't even afford to keep his family clothed, so he granted extra land to great great great grandfather, which included a large area of wooded land. Because of this, our barony can be compared to a small county in size. So we have plenty of land but only slightly over half of it is useable for farming.

The price for that, however, was great great great grandfather's first and second daughters. Apparently, this nephew took great fancy to both of his own female cousins and made them the condition for the granting of land. There wasn't much written in the family history, but it was mentioned that they lived happily ever after. Truth be told, if I have a sister, I don't think I'll ever be able to marry the same man as my sister, but that's probably just me and my modern values.

Somewhere along the line, the men of Rusenfel died off, some from plague, some from the battlefields and some from assassinations. Thus only one Rusenfel lady was left and since out of the branch family of the Rusenfel, the Metrune, the only one still unmarried was a 4 year old boy, the leftover lady of Rusenfel had to marry into the new noble house of Melstad, which was considered of inferior lineage back then. Grandfather, the current Duke Melstad was the result of their union.

To silence the voices of those who objected to it, mother who was the second daughter of Duke Melstad was married off to father who was of pure Rusenfel bloodline. Eventhough the Metrune is a branch family of the Rusenfel, we were still of direct Rusenfel bloodline. Had there been an unmarried Metrune man of age, great Rusenfel grandmother would have had a matrilineal marriage with the Metrune man instead.

Later on, to strengthen the bond, there was even talk of engaging me to the future Duke Melstad's first son as well. I strongly refused, simply because I was too young and also because the future duke's first son was a jerk. I'm not exaggerating, the few times I met him, he came off as nothing but an insensitive jerk.

For this war, though, Duke Melstad would not be leading the ducal army. The ducal army which included my father, would be led by his first son, Lord Smilnof, the father of my 15 year old supposed fiance. My supposed fiance would also be going to the war, though only as a commander of the light cavalry. In other words, he'd likely be the guy who'd chase and cut down routed enemies, the easiest job in the whole campaign.

You're asking why I still call him my fiance when I already rejected him? That's because I was too young to have any say over who I marry. It is also because he is an idiot who can't take a hint. I hope his army commanding ability is a lot better than his tact.

 
 

*Thank you for reading. As always your comments and feedbacks are always appreciated. Thanks to Eric for proofreading it.

up
175 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

if her fiancee is as much of

if her fiancee is as much of an idiot as she thinks, he probably will prove it and won't make it back

Fiancee

shiinaai's picture

Well, we know that little girls like to exaggerate *wink*

Did I miss it?

I'm wondering what kind of background Felicia had in her past life, education-wise. Like, between the farming and mining, I was wondering if she could make explosives using either black powder or ammonium nitrate. The latter might not be easy to get, if synthesizing it is impossible, but I imagine that it wouldn't be too difficult to get the ingredients for black powder. Y'know, to use in various ways...

Do you have any context for what Felicia knows? Or are you going on a case by case basis, regarding what you have plotted out? I don't require any specifics, especially if it spoils anything; I'm just curious about one of the engine's parts.

EDIT: Coincidentally, I just happened upon a novel with a similar premise to this story and the manga mentioned earlier, called Tensei Oujo wa Kyou mo Hata o Tatakioru. I wonder if this subject matter has become popular, lately.

Knowledge

shiinaai's picture

A short background on Malcolm Stokes (which will probably not be described in future chapters, just to give a view of what Felicia may know):
1) A software engineer by trade (which is useless in Mruna because there are no computers yet), though everyone learn basic computer engineering in the software engineering. I don't plan on building a computer in the story, though.
2) A Roman Legion reenactor. It's something like Renaissance Fair, but with the reenactors wearing legionarii and barbarian costumes instead. Malcolm had reenacted as both a legionarius and celtic warrior. So he's particularly skilled in horse-riding as well as spear handling/throwing and axe throwing, but not very good with sword fighting, unless if it's a gladius. Since he became he girl, he can't even handle a gladius if one is presented to him.
3) Malcolm loved watching History Channel as well as Discovery Channel. He absolutely hated Harry Potter.
4) Malcolm used to play chess and othello.
5) Malcom is a worshipper of wikipedia and ehow.

Just a little spoiler:
Felicia has already produced a small amount of black powder. Nowhere near enough to blow up a castle wall, but enough for a bang. It takes one year to make enough salpetre after all, unless there are bat caves. If there are any, Felicia hasn't found it yet.

Black powder will make its debut next chapter, so please wait for it ^_^ Thanks for commenting.

Okie-dokie

Thanks for sharing all that.

As for bats, I'm pretty sure you can get saltpeter from other sources, although it probably takes some processing (and I'm unsure if there is such a requirement for guano in limestone caves). Either way, I'm curious as to what will be done with the black powder.

Actually, even at Felicia's current age, a Gladius should be manageable. I'm pretty sure they can weigh less than two pounds. If a steel one can be produced, it's all good; if not, I don't think that iron would be too much heavier. Since she's certainly no type to rely on her strength in combination with the sword's weight when attacking, thrusting would be the most ideal, so a sacrifice of mass to lighten the load is possible if necessary.

Speaking of throwing axes: it'd be interesting if that's the direction Felicia takes things, like the Franks of yore. The legionnaire suggests that we should expect a Roman legion kind of deal, but that's not as resource-friendly if resources happen to be a problem. Well, if that happens to be the case; it's anyone's guess but yours, at this point.

Reincarnation

shiinaai's picture

If you like that novel, you will probably like this one too https://oniichanyamete.wordpress.com/index/mysterious-named-... Same premise in almost every way except the protagonist is an airhead as well as a genius in magic.

Reincarnation and Transportation genre has been the most popular genre in Japan for the past 3 years. Most authors and readers prefer to dream in another world instead of this world because everyone accepts that this world has gone to shit. :P That's why these genres are very popular, besides, you can be anyone you want in another world, so that's another draw to the idea.

Yes, saltpetre can be processed from horse dung, but it's not going to yield much because the barony doesn't have many horses. Iron gladius may be pretty light, but with Felicia's muscle strength and short arms, it won't be of much use against bigger men with longer arms and longer swords. I try to be realistic wherever possible and gladius-wielding little girls just aren't very likely to give adult men any real fight. I don't want Felicia to become Mary Sue (best at everything with no weakness). Felicia should be just like any powerless little girls, the only difference that make her valuable should be her mind. So it's best to stick to daggers and try to get a surprise attack in if the opportunity arrive or just not fight at all. Yes, sacrificing mass (and structural integrity) to lighten the blade is what I have in mind for Felicia's personal sword. There's a spoiler in the picture :P

I'm not familiar of how the franks fight in relation to throwing axes. Do you know of any source for such info?

Swords, axes and stuff

I'll have to give that novel a look-see, then.

As for Felicia and the gladius, I only stated its viability because it seemed like you were writing it off on an unfounded reason. I had no illusion that it would be ideal, but that it's possible to use it if available and may have some advantage over a shorter weapon (like a dagger), depending on the circumstances. Right now, regardless of which/what she uses, chances are that she may not be taken seriously, and that alone could make the difference regardless of the weapon at hand. (And so long as she can thrust a sword, at her size she stands a good chance of injuring someone's lower extremities if they aren't careful.)

I can't find a good source for the throwing axes, right off the bat, but I still remember how they were put to use and in what way they were effective. They were often used just before the infantry clashed, but they were also handy in other ways, in and out of battle.

When thrown against a light-armored opponent, such as cloth, leather and wood shields, there was a good chance of debilitating injury, even if just temporary, and it might break a shield. The better protected the opponent, though, the less effective it is in this way. However, its main purpose lie elsewhere, and was effective regardless of armor: its unpredictability. When it comes to throwing spears, for instance, it's easy to see and track with the eye, so there's confidence in parrying it with a shield or dodging it completely (if there's room for it among the unit). The throwing axe, however, is not so easy to track, especially because it can rebound in an unknown direction once it hits the ground. Even well-armored soldiers may not stand their ground to avoid them, because its unknown trajectory means that there's a chance it could strike a weak or unguarded spot. Between wanting to avoid them, being hit unexpectedly, and possibly tripping them up (especially during a charge, which may cause trampling or further tripping from their own fallen), a throwing axe like the francisca was used to break the enemy's formation and distract the opponent from the charge following it, thus lending them an advantage when they meet.

Hurrah for miscellaneous knowledge!

Tas's picture

Knowledge that should have never been of any use is now paying off, though there are some things I'm worried about.

The warlike neighboring country is not good news, because as a general rule, warlike peoples tend to win when it comes to war. I'm still hoping that everything in this war will turn out okay, but I'm not holding my breath.

Anyway, loved the chapter and I'll be watching for the next :)

-Tas

Knowledge

shiinaai's picture

Yes, you never know when those bits of useless knowledge is going to be of use. Some stuff we learn casually can actually be very useful knowledge to backward societies.

The war will be hard-fought and it will not take just a few months like in our world. It will take many years of fighting and even then there will likely not be an end. Both kingdoms simply can't tolerate each other. There's also going to be a third kingdom, who makes a killing selling weapons and food to both sides and wouldn't want the war to end.

Thanks for supporting me.

weapons & tactics

How about crossbows?

Guerilla warfare? Take out their leaders, harrass their columns and camps, steal their horses and supplies.

Crossbows

shiinaai's picture

They only have very basic crossbows, but in this setting, it's pointless to use the more expensive and slower reload crossbows, since a bow can fire at least 3 times faster and most of the combatants on both sides would wear only light armour (leather, boiled leather, cloth). Felicia will create a body armour that makes bows and arrows pretty much obsolete in chapter 6, though only her father and brother will be wearing it since it has to be made by hand.

Guerrilla warfare is not very chivalrous, so I didn't consider it at first. But I must admit that for Felicia who is a girl and was someone from the modern world, things like chivalry probably won't be very high on her list of priorities. So we may see guerrilla warfare at some point.

I agree Felicia is a girl...

I agree Felicia is a girl who as a Baron's daughter has no title of her own. She is however ticked-off that these idiots have disrupted her expansion plans for her growing business empire.

[Do they have telescopes or does she need to have some custom made?]

She may now view the war as an opportunity to acquire livestock, serfs, lands and vassal nobles for herself. Both sides are likely turn up their noses at her methods but won't be able to deny the results.

She has read and understands Tsun Tzu's Art of War, they never heard of it (feigning shock).

Since, Monty-- as in Gen. Montgomery, is less of a military inspiration than Monty Python's Knights of Ni, she decides to be inspired by the SAS, the Royal Marines, FFL, Scouts and Raiders, Rangers and others. Now if she can just remember the lyrics to;
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A7-pnAPcSN4

http://www.groups.sfahq.com/sf_heraldry/ballad_fighting_sold...

Oops, wrong military. [Just take this as harmless fun. I do like the Dolly Parton version better.]

It seems that Felicia doesn't want the war to drag on for years (baddfor business you know). So, I believe she will use "unconventional" tactics and weapons to end this war quickly. [Crossbows, **compound crossbows, compound bows, booby traps, sabotage, trenches, pungi sticks, caltraps, Roman and Celtic tactics. Things daddy doesn't have, do, or know about.]

I can just imagine.

Felicia, my daughter, that is not how we conduct war.

But daddy, do you really want my new vassal nobles and armies and weapons to go back to the other side? I like all those pretty and colorful flags flying below my bloomers on the hill.

Please keep your vassal nobles and your new troops. However, flying women's undergarments as your standard is embarrassing me, please take them down.

I'll see about getting my own pretty flagrant, daddy. Right now, I need to greet my new guests and see the googies my rangers* and infantry are bringing. Ooh, looks like some heavy and light cavalry horses are part my goodies. Want to join me?

Later, perhaps. Right now, I'll just go and get you some more men to guard your prisoners or "guests".

Sorry, my imagination ran amok. LOL
*rangers, as Felicia only has infantry.
**compound crossbow and compound bow using simple round pulleys still makes the weapons more compact without a loss of power. Best of all, it is simple to be built now.

I can't wait for chapter 3. Please hurry up before my imagination runs away again.

odds and ends can still help sway an outcome

Odds and ends can still help sway an outcome.

Crossbow; pros-- less training needed, lie-n-wait/ambush (shoot and scoot) or booby trap.

Again even simple early compound bows and crossbows are smaller and can be drawn in more confined space.

Information; get info on the 'enemy' leaders. Felicia needs to ask dad, and the merchant. She asks grampa (the duke)for 6 men plus a carpenter (returns after training) to be taught about the windows before they head out as three trade delegations to showcase and sell Felicia's goods and gather information on the side. Each delegatiion team visits 3 nobles. They each take windows, hand mirrors, sample bags of each grain variety, extra alfalfa hay bales [This grass is hard to cut by hand, bales of hay are uncommon (and never that uniform) and should bring a premium price on the market.] plus their own supplies.

During the hostilities, if some prisoners who are along on a supply run are impressed
seeing plate glass windows in Mruno in shop fronts, castle, in homes of Felicia's workers (it is mostly a facade on the front at first). It will help spread rumors about Felicia.

Guns

She should invent guns or cannon or something like that. hihihi