Testing Times - Chapter 10 "Ego At Large"

Printer-friendly version
Testing Times - A Tommy & Tamara Story  

Part Ten

 

"Ego At Large"

 
Wednesday 22nd April

Angela still seemed to ache the following morning and even Tammy thought she'd pulled a muscle.

"I know what we can do, Angela."

"Eh?"

"We need a swim."

"Just the two of us?"

"There were four of us at the class last night, I bet Tanya and John could do with a soak too?"

A quick check ascertained that the pair had found muscles that hadn't been used for a while. "Can you collect us, oh John hasn't any swim shorts here."

"Okay, give me ten minutes."

"Can you make it twenty, er twenty-five?"

"Sure."

After ringing Elsie and confirming the pool was available, Tammy moved her car out to the front of the house. Richard had gone into town and Joan was at work so the other two cars were absent. Given that both of her parents had been required at the school, Tammy was pretty certain that the previous evening's meeting at the school was to discuss the vacancy for Joan's assistant, but neither had said anything.

"Come on Angela."

"I can't find my swimsuit."

"You've got more than one, what did you do with the one you used on Sunday?"

"I'll check the laundry."

Tammy finally collected the happy, smirking, couple from the Smith house and they drove up to St Andrews so John could collect his swim shorts. There was just one problem.

"The dress code! I went out last night dressed for the evening, not for school."

Mr Thompson had explained two mornings earlier that the sixth formers were still bound by the rules if they were in school, even on non-exam days. Tammy's day wear was at least respectable.

"You'll have to go to my room."

"I can't."

"Here's my key."

"Sorry John, that's against the rules."

"I'll go!" Tanya snatched the keys.

"No!" The other three exclaimed together.

"So, Tammy, what do you suggest?"

"Wait here John."

Tammy went alone to the school secretary's office. One of the grounds' staff was there.

"Hello Mrs Adams, could I ask a favour?"

"Ah, Miss Smart, what do you need?"

"The key for the emergency exit from the boarding house."

"Oh, you need to sneak Mr Hibbert in?"

"How did you guess?"

"He was signed out after seven last night and wasn't back for breakfast."

"Well, all he needs is a swimsuit."

"Go up there for him."

"I can't really."

"Yes you can, I'll give you the master key and Jimmy here can go with you. We can't risk having a casually dressed Mr Hibbert in the corridor, although perhaps I should keep a couple of skirts here for boys walking in shorts during the warmer months?"

Tammy was pretty sure Janet was joking, maybe. She went with Jimmy up to John's room, one she knew well, and quickly located the required items while the groundsman waited in the corridor.

"Thanks Janet. I'll see he's back later." She handed the key back.

"You shouldn't need to act like his PA Tammy, but Miss Smith is due here tomorrow morning for interview so he'd best let her have a good sleep tonight."

"I see, does she know yet?"

"I have the letter here and was going to ring her."

"I'll take the letter, she's in my car."

"Sounds like a good idea, saves the messenger delivering it later." Janet handed over the letter, Tammy made a swift exit before anyone asked why she was holding a boy's swimming shorts.

Back in the car, Tammy received the expected " 'told you so."

"I had to have an escort and it was only because Mrs Adams decided to help. Anyway, I have a letter for you, Tanya."

Tammy handed the envelope over, it was eagerly ripped open.

"John, Mrs Adams suggests you have to be back at school tonight."

"Who says so?"

"I do!" Tanya sounded excited. "I have to get ready for an interview with the governors, I don't need any distractions!"

John looked defeated but said nothing. Tammy strapped herself in then drove away from the school. A few minutes later they pulled up next to the stables beside Elsie's house. Tanya was still buzzing, by now on the phone to her mother.

"I got the interview! Yes, I'll be down to have my hair done. We're just going swimming. Bye, love you!"

Tanya put the phone away as they walked towards the door. "Sorry John, but you'll have to go back to the school, mum wants me at two in the salon. Priorities, my love, priorities."

John didn't seem to see it that way but said nothing. It certainly put a damper on their hour in the pool, though, with John quite sullen.

"What, aren't you pleased for me?"

"Of course I am, it's what you wanted."

"You have a strange way of showing it."

"I was just expecting to spend time with you today."

"You are spending time, but I need to get my hair done, plus a manicure and a pedicure. I might even go the whole way and let Joanna loose on my legs."

John looked at the clock, set into the tiled wall around the pool, it was fast approaching midday.

"I think I'll take lunch at school."

Tammy knew that meant trouble but was saved by Elsie when the four unhappy teens walked upstairs.

"I'm going into town, does anyone need a lift?"

Tanya immediately said she did and went straight out the door with Elsie to her waiting car.

"Tammy can you drop me at school?"

"We'll all lunch there, Angela?"

"Sounds good to me."

Of course once they returned to the school it did not go smoothly, Janet Adams had gone into town and Mr Thompson was just inside the main entrance when Tammy and Angela approached.

"Ah, Miss Small, I hope you were given Monday's messages?"

"Yes, Sir."

"Now, what are you doing here today and why is Mr Hibbert hiding outside?"

"He needs to get to his room to change, Sir. He spent last night in town, with permission."

"I see, he has three minutes before the bell so I suggest he hurries, but NO running."

Tammy waved John in, reckoning there was a ten percent chance he would make it to his room without being stopped by a master. Tammy and Angela, meanwhile, walked into the refectory. A minute or two later the bell sounded, it didn't take long for a horde of otherwise angelic boys to bowl into the dining area. They certainly weren't expecting to see two skirted sixth formers waiting there.

"Slow down and keep quiet," instructed Tammy.

"Yes, ma'am," offered a few of them. Tammy and Angela maintained their presence near the doorway. A full ten minutes had passed, when John finally arrived, just in time to hear the shutters going up.

"What took you?"

"The Head wanted to ask me something, that delayed me until the bell sounded. The Head walked away leaving me at the mercies of Mr Carmichael."

"Didn't the Head ask why you were casually dressed?"

"No, only to make sure Tanya got that letter."

"So what about Carmichael?"

"He's threatening to put me on report!"

"Tell him the Head didn't complain."

"I did."

"Oh. Anyway, let's grab something to eat."

Most of the upper sixth were present, given they were almost all boarders, although Lori was absent. James realised that something was going on.

"You two don't have to be here today, then Mr Hibbert is missing at breakfast and there are reports of him half naked in the corridors!"

"Lies, all lies."

"I have some very good sources, John. You might want to shave once you get back to you room, too."

John instinctively put his hand to his cheek, confirming stubble.

"Angela, Tammy, there's a St Georges service for the English kids tomorrow morning just after breakfast."

"I suppose it's compulsory attendance?"

"I wouldn't put it like that, just a three line whip." *

"Okay, has anyone told Lori?"

"No idea."

"Mr Thompson didn't mention anything on Monday."

"No, but the Head told us all at dinner on Sunday evening."

John had been quiet but now asked Tammy for advice. "What about the rehearsal tonight?"

"What about it?"

"I was going to stay with Tanya and go to the theatre from there."

Tonight was a full dress rehearsal for Macbeth at the Mill Theatre.

"Oh, that's a problem?"

"Yes, I have a driving licence and no car, so I'm reliant on others running me around."

"You know I'll help when I can."

"Sure, Tammy, but I had this week planned then this stupid job screws it all up."

"Hey, that stupid job will pay the bills and give you somewhere to live."

"I'm not hungry, I'll be in my room." John stood and walked out, this did not go unnoticed. A member of staff approached the sixth form table as lunch finished.

"Tammy, Angela, my office, please." "Yes, Mum."

A couple of minutes later, after a visit to the loo, Tammy and Angela were sat with Joan.

"What's up with John?"

Tammy explained what had happened over the previous twenty four hours.

"So, John has a problem because of tomorrow's interview?"

"Yes, why couldn't the interview have been on Friday?"

"The Head is required elsewhere, it was originally scheduled for Friday."

"I see. Where does that leave John?"

"I hope he doesn't do anything stupid, the cottage deal is for both of them and not just Tanya."

"Oh. Someone best speak to him."

"I guess you don't want to go to his room?"

"That might be inappropriate."

"I see, I'll speak to John. For now, the pair of you, go home."

"Yes, mum."

Tammy drove Angela back to Dunbankin. She was starting to have second thoughts about the rehearsal that evening but knew that would only cause Angela to question her own attendance, throwing the whole rehearsal out of the window. This was a day where egos shouldn't rule.

They found Richard at home. "Okay girls, meeting in the kitchen in five."

That gave them enough time to dispose of damp towels and swimsuits, followed by a mirror check.

"I've been to see our solicitor, as nothing much seems to be happening."

"Mr Wright was only arrested four days ago, Dad."

"That's true, but we were going to a trial before Easter that had to be abandoned."

"It would be good to see the back of John McPherson, so what's happening?"

"It seems the police have an admission that John knew what Jerry Trethgarwyn was going to do."

"Like blow us up?"

"Yes, he wrongly believed that if you were dead there wouldn't be a case against him."

Tammy shuddered, "quite a stupid thought, what did his brief say?"

"His defence team resigned, there was no way they would represent him under those circumstances. He's talking of representing himself!"

"I doubt if the sheriff would agree to that."

"Correct, the High Sheriff has appointed counsel and will hold the trial in camera next week."

"Are we needed?"

"No, there's enough there as he's plead guilty to the main offences and some of the minor ones have been left on file."

"So he goes down?"

"That's Jeremiah Smith's view."

"What about Jerry?"

"He's apparently wanted in England for similar offences so has gone to London, he may have had something to do with the London air traffic control attack before Christmas."

"Connected to Berisha?"

"Yes, it's speculation but the police are heading that way."

"What about Yvonne?"

"Ah, your nemesis!" Angela was smiling.

"That's a harsh way of putting it."

"Well, Tammy, there would seem to have been enough traces of explosives at one of her properties, along with fingerprints of the Kosovan gang, that she'll see the inside of a prison cell for a while."

"Good riddance."

"Tammy, I'm disappointed, you shouldn't be so quick to judge others."

"Look, she didn't attempt to destroy you from multiple angles, did she? Nobody believed me when I said she didn't like me from the moment I met her, then she tried that stunt in the restaurant when even Elsie wouldn't believe me. That's before the stuff at school, I don't care what happens to her, she can rot." Tammy started to cry.

"Tammy, I know this hasn't been fun but you have survived many things that would have destroyed someone else. If their intentions were to hurt you, what do you think the outcome was?"

"Sure I was hurt, but I'm stronger now."

"That's it. What do you think Angela?"

"Yeah, Tammy's stronger."

"No, about yourself? Tammy's not alone in having people turn against her."

"I'm not as strong as Tammy."

"But you haven't given in?"

"Not that I didn't want to, but has Tammy persuaded me to keep going."

"So do you think that you're working together like sisters should?"

Tammy and Angela looked at each-other and shrugged.

"Anyway, the wedding will on the be August Bank Holiday weekend."

"When's that this year?"

"August 29th is the Saturday."

"Where?"

"At Elsie's, but we'll ask the school's chaplain to officiate."

Tammy, followed by Angela, gave Richard a hug.

"I'll have to make sure I'm back from Cornwall a few days before that."

"Okay girls, can you get dinner organised? I think there's five of us tonight?"

***

"Come on John, let's get down to the theatre."

"Why?"

"Dress rehearsal?"

"No, why should I bother?"

"Because the whole show relies on every single one of us. There's only nine days before the opening night."

"Even so?"

"Get in the car, we're going!"

Joan had returned from the school with John as her passenger; he would stay with the Smarts overnight and return to the school before breakfast the following day, along with Tammy and Angela. Joan had been a little concerned about leaving him in his room but had conferred with the Head before taking John out of school.

They arrived at the theatre in good time and didn't take long to change into their costumes. Sarah was helping with costumes and Joanne was in charge of make-up.

Sandy Franklin came into the girls' dressing room.

"Has anyone seen Tanya?" Lots of heads were shaken.

"Tammy?"

"She was having her hair done this afternoon, I last saw her before lunch."

"Joanne?"

The make-up mistress was in with the boys, Sandy did not look pleased when they all gathered on the stage a few minutes later.

"Iain is busy tonight so it's just me, under the circumstances that's probably just as well. I cannot afford for any of you to throw a hissy fit. Every single one of you is required for this production to succeed. I'll stand in for Lady Macduff, we're as ready to start as we will be."

They had Act One Scene One out of the way and the witches' cauldron was being removed from the stage when there was a noise from the green room.

Sandy called a halt, spotting Joanne tugging Tanya towards the dressing room. Sandy followed.

That delayed matters, it was fifteen minutes before they restarted but Tanya wouldn't look anyone in the eye. Sandy didn't offer an opinion on how the rehearsal was going but was plainly unhappy.

It was just after nine when they all made it back to the dressing rooms. Tammy concentrated on getting herself back into her normal clothing.

"I was a bitch." Joanne was seen walking out, not wanting to be involved. Sarah went to collect the boys' costumes.

"Pardon, Tanya?"

"I was a bitch."

"Fine, let me finish getting ready?"

"What?"

"Yes, you were a bitch, now can I get my shoes on?"

"I thought you agreed I should have a quiet night?"

"Sure, but not to dump John late morning simply so you could have your hair done!"

Angela had walked over. "Leave it Tammy, it's not your argument."

"If only, Angela! Tanya, you have to talk to him, but he's staying with us tonight and I'm leaving in five minutes."

---

* Three line whip (taken out of context here) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whip_%28politics%29#United_Kingdom

up
359 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

ah more normality

more normality presides once again with our teens bitchin with each other and more insights into the life at dunbankin and the Mc.pherson house, I love it! Sniping at the english eh! with the smart comments over those English boys and St. George, tch tch!

Physically Mature.....

but still learning about life. It's good that they support each other pretty well and have mostly supportive adults in their lives.

Shiraz, thanks for sharing.

Seems like their is enough drama

with adding to it. Fortunately there is the time honored ritual of making up for them to look forward to.

The mouse that roared

Jamie Lee's picture

Why can't John be away from Tanya more than a few hours before acting like a rutting bull? Perhaps he likes being a rutting bull, and Tanya wants to oblige? Or perhaps he's having second thoughts about marring Tanya, given her up and down moods?

Wouldn't it have been better for Joan to ask John about his troubles than Tammy and Angela? Was it their place to explain to Joan? Would that have been John's story?

A person going for a job interview needs to look their best in order to make a good first impression. Tanya wanting her hair done means she does want to look her best for a job she does want. That John didn't like to be put on the back burner, that his plans had been altered without being consulted, may not have been pleasant, but it's part of being in the real world.

Tanya being late to rehearsal has people wondering what will happen on opening night, even though it wasn't said. Tanya does this from time to time and that makes her questionable for serious events.

One thing came out rehearsal that was pushed aside by Tammy. Tammy once again butted in where she thought she had a right, but Angela said it all, it's none of Tammy's business. It's something Tanya and John have to work out. The mouse roared and the big cheese ignored her.

Others have feelings too.

Hot-headed couple

What with Tanya nearly dumping John over the train photos, John getting crotchety over one night and day's separation from Tanya, then Tanya nearly dumping him over her hair appointment, they really need to learn to trust each other when away from each other.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!