Altered Fates; “The Bodyguard” Ch 14 of 16

Printer-friendly version

Current Situation: At last Logan has given in to his feminine urges and under Melchiresa’s influence seduced King Turukáno. Now the “Shining Leagons” of Ondolindë have come up out of Tumladen and routed Morgoth’s forces. With their victory complete will Molly and Logan decide to return to Earth or will they stay in Arda? And have they changed so much that they no longer desire to return to their original bodies?

Author Note:

1: This story is based on the Altered Fates Universe concept established by Jennifer Adams, however I’ve taken some artistic liberties so this story doesn’t strictly adhere to the rules Jennifer established.

2: This is also a fanfic of the J.R.R. Tolkien world of Middle Earth in an untold tale of the First Age. Please note; I didn’t stay completely true to the Middle Earth that Tolkien set up. This is my take on what Middle Earth in the First Age might have been like.


***************************************

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

“Homeward Bound”

***************************************

Logan paused to look out over the river. It seemed like an age instead of only a few weeks since she’d crossed it to meet Narmartë and her Rangers. The rest of her group paused at the river each taking a look at the clear running water before they moved into it. The group was a little more than a dozen and even though Logan knew them all she felt unhappy with the situation.

After the battle Lord Penlod had taken command of the Elven army and pursued the remains of the Orcs. Molly had been up in a few hours but had been perfectly happy to relinquish command to Penlod. Logan was still stunned at what she’d learned. That Molly had collected the rag-tag bands of Elves and pulled them together into an army and had then fought the far larger host of Orcs to a standstill for almost a month before finally being caught. The Elves who’d explained this to Logan spoke of Molly in hushed tones of awe reserved for the greatest Elven heroes.

And then there was Tanna Greenleaf. From the first time Logan saw Molly look at her she knew that Molly was in love. A part of Logan wanted to be happy for Molly but another part was jealous. Molly shouldn’t be in love with the beautiful Elven archer. Molly should have been the girl. These feelings were further confused when Logan remembered the nights she’d spent in Turgon’s arms. She wasn’t in love with Turgon but the feelings he’d awoken in her made her wonder if she’d become so feminine that she wouldn’t be able to switch back.

Once she was alone with Molly they’d exchanged stories and again Logan was surprised at how well Molly had done. She was also startled at how unconsciously masculine Molly had become. The way he sat on the camp stool, the way he held his body, it all spoke of masculine vitality, a vitality that Logan found extremely attractive.

With a sinking feeling Logan asked, “Are you ready to go home?”

Molly looked over at Logan but didn’t meet her eyes. “I’m not going home.”

The simple statement rocked Logan. “What do you mean you’re not going home?!” As she spoke Logan rose to her feet and planted her hands on her hips. “Have you forgotten your dad is back there? That a group of fanatics attacked your house? That I was hired to protect you? And that we are in the WRONG bodies!” As she spoke her voice rose until she was almost shouting.

Molly looked down at his hands, his face awash with misery and then he glanced back up at Logan. “I love her.”

The words seemed simple enough but they rocked Logan. “What do you mean you love her?”

“Tanna Greenleaf. I love her and I can’t leave her.”

Logan let out a sigh and switched to English. “Molly, you’ve only known her for what a couple of weeks? Are you sure this isn’t just your little head talking?”

In the same language Molly replied, “Yes. I love her and nothing is going to change that. Besides I’ve grown to love this land and Logan, look at the things we can do? Can you really give up your power to return home and just be regular person again?”

“Yes, if that means getting my body back.”

Now Molly stood up, and looked down at Logan. “Fine, I’ll help you get back to the gate. I was able to send some scouts into Lindornëa and they found our gear. So I’ve got the key. You can return and use the medallion to change back. I’m sure my father will help you.”

“And what am I supposed to tell your father?”

“That I’m fine. That I’m in love and happy and that he can visit me here.”

Logan turned away and left the tent, her mixed emotions were enough that she knew she needed to be alone. As she left the tent she spotted Tanna who’d been waiting outside. They caught each other’s eye and once again Logan’s intuition told her that there was something about Tanna that wasn’t quite right. Then Tanna moved forward and into the tent and Logan strode away.

Now Logan glanced to her side and saw Molly and Tanna just a few feet away looking out at the river. Narmartë and Penlod were on her left and they were surrounded by Molly’s Red Guard and Penlod’s Clansmen.

“This is where it all started.” Narmartë said glancing at Logan and then at Molly. “This is where we met.”

“Fortunate for all of us that you did.” Penlod said reaching out to give Narmartë’s hand a squeeze.

“Yes, if it hadn’t been for Ilcaúrna and Sornohen Nevrast would have been lost.”

Logan agreed silently with Narmartë but she still felt too resentful at Molly’s decision to stay to respond. They had spent every night since Molly had explained that she was staying arguing about the decision until last night when Tanna had for the first time joined in. She’d pulled open the tent flap and silently moved to Molly’s side wrapping her arms around his waist and then looking back at Logan.

The silent feminine declaration of possession was one that Logan understood all the way to her bones and rather than continue the argument she’d left. Now Logan set her heels to her horse’s flanks and descended into the river. Crossing the stream was easy although finding a good place to climb the far bank proved a little more challenging. Once on the other side they started looking for the marks that Logan had left showing their back trail. It took a while since it had been several weeks and the knife cuts hadn’t been deep.

Yet Elven woodsmen-ship proved equal to the challenge as Tanna let out a shout. In a few seconds Logan was able to confirm she’d found the back trail. They spent the rest of that day following it. The thickness of the trees and underbrush prevented them from moving at speed through the woods. In fact they spent most of the day walking leading their horses. Toward twilight they found the clearing that had changed Logan and Molly’s tattoos.

Logan moved forward eager to examine the obelisk one more time only to discover that it was missing.

“What the hell? It’s gone.”

She exchanged a look with Molly as Narmartë came forward. “What’s gone?”

“There was an obelisk here. It was a good landmark. Maybe we’re not in the right location.”

“Your markings led us to this clearing. Could someone have moved it?” Tanna asked, moving to stand next to Molly.

Logan shook her head. “I doubt it. Based on its size it would have been very difficult to move.”

The guards quickly set up camp and even though the fire was cheery Logan moved to one side keeping away from the others as she stared out into the darkness.

‘What happened to the obelisk?’ she thought.

*It served its purpose and was recalled to Valinor.*

Logan was almost startled to hear Melchiresa’s voice. ‘How does one recall a two ton stone obelisk?’

At this Logan could hear Melchiresa laugh, *With great care.*

‘So what now? What happens to you when I return to my world?’

*When you step through the gate you will return to your world and I’ll return to Valinor.*

For the first time Logan felt sad at the thought of returning home. Melchiresa’s presence within her mind had become a welcome reassurance. Logan was never alone because Melchiresa was always with her. Even when Melchiresa had used her Logan was able to feel her intentions and she’d never wished to harm Logan. What would it be like to be alone within her own mind again?

The night passed quickly and they set out early the next day. It was still slow going but when Molly spotted the first webbing strung between the trees Logan felt reassured that they were on the right track. Yet even though they saw signs of the giant spiders they didn’t actually spot the monsters.

“I doubt that they have enough courage to confront a party as strong as ours.” Penlod said when Logan expressed her concern. Just before dusk Ronir spotted the ruined watch tower wall.

“We can open the gate tonight or we could camp here and open it at first light.” Molly said looking at Logan.

Suddenly, Logan didn’t want to spend any more time here. This world, everything that had happened to her, she just wanted to be done with it. To be back home in her own body, in her own apartment drinking a beer. Her intuition told her that she should leave now. Yet the idea of being separated from Melchiresa and leaving Molly behind made her hesitate. Even though she didn’t want to be a woman she’d gotten used to it. So much so that she no longer noticed the movement of breasts and hips. Even her time of the month, as disgusting as it was, didn’t seem that abnormal. Everything pretty much felt . . . normal . . . comfortable even, and that was what scared Logan the most.

“Let’s set up camp. There will be plenty of time in the morning to say good bye.” Logan said, mostly thinking about Melchiresa and what it would mean to be separated from her.

The Elves went to work setting up camp with their normal efficiency. By this time Logan had learned to stay out of their way. Instead she decided to take a look at the ruin. There was a part of her that just wanted to make sure that the arch was still there.

“My lady, where are you headed?”

Looking back Logan saw that Sir Ronir had followed her and she flashed him a smile. There was a part of her that was still attracted to him and she no longer tried to squish that part of her nature. It just seemed silly after her time with Turgon. Thinking of Turgon made Logan want to squirm as her groin became a little wet. The things he’d done to her in the heat of passion . . . Then she realized she was staring at Ronir and hadn’t answered him.

“I’m going to check out the gate. I’d like to make sure that everything is ready for tomorrow.

“Might I accompany you my Lady? I hear that the tower is infested with Ungoliantsén and even a lady of the Maiar needs someone to watch her back.”

Logan was tempted to say no, but then she reconsidered. It wasn’t that she thought she needed Ronir, she was sure that she could take care of any Giant Spiders that might come up. She just didn’t want to be alone. The trek up to the tower ruins in the semi-dark was easy enough. Elven night vision is pretty good and Logan had no trouble drawing upon Melchiresa’s power to help her see.

The walls were pretty much as Logan remembered them and jumping up was almost a natural movement after dealing with the lesser gravity for so long now. Then she was in the courtyard and for a moment she didn’t see the arch. Logan spun around and then she spotted it. The angle she’d come in over the wall was slightly off so the arch was to her left. Ronir landed next to her with a soft thud.

“Is that the gate?”

“Yeah,” Logan moved forward in the dim light trying to make sure she remembered each of the symbols and more importantly the one that would take her back to Earth.

“Do you know how it works?”

Logan nodded, “Yes. But you’ll see me use it tomorrow.”

“My lady.” Something in Ronir’s voice caused Logan to turn and look at him. “I . . . I wish you would consider changing your mind.”

“Changing my mind about what?”

“About leaving.” With that he stepped in closer and suddenly Logan was once again aware of how attractive he was. Even if he wasn’t Turgon, he was still very much a handsome male.

“This isn’t my world, Ronir. We came here and accomplished what we needed to and now we should return.”

“And yet, Sornohen remains.”

Logan shook her head, “He shouldn’t. He isn’t thinking properly. Tanna has him under a spell.”

At this Ronir stiffened, “You think Tanna is using the Song of Ainur to beguile Sornohen’s mind?”

Logan couldn’t help giggling and she shook her head. “No, Ronir, nothing so nefarious. Tanna is only using what every woman tries to use on her man. Her feminine charm has ensnared him.”

“That doesn’t seem so bad.” Ronir stepped even closer until only a few inches separated them and Logan was forced to look up. “I have been caught in a similar trap.”

Logan’s breath caught. She knew that Ronir had a thing for her. In fact she’d also felt an attraction but she hadn’t acted on it. She wasn’t ready for that kind of a relationship, she couldn’t just give herself to a man. Besides more than anything she wanted to get home.

Just then a horn blast ripped the night. It was immediately followed by the sound of thunder.

“That’s Sornohen’s spear!” Logan said.

“And my Lord Penlod’s horn!” Ronir added.

Without a word they both dashed for the camp.


***

Molly looked over just in time to see Logan slip off into the dark. She was accompanied by Sir Ronir and Molly smiled. It was pretty obvious that Ronir had a thing for Logan, even if Logan refused to admit it.

“And what is the cause of your good humor my lord?” Tanna asked running her hand along Molly’s neck. Molly leaned into her touch enjoying the sensation of Tanna’s soft hand.

“Oh, I saw Ilcaúrna and Ronir slip off into the night. I was just hoping that perhaps Ilcaúrna has noticed how he’s been looking at her. If this is her last night in this world she ought to enjoy it.”

Tanna shook her head, “Perhaps, but I think not. Ilcaúrna is set to return, I doubt very much if she will take a lover on her last night in Arda.”

Molly let out a sigh there was a part of her that wanted Logan to sleep with Ronir. It was a selfish part, because Molly had no intention of returning to his former body. He felt Kratos stirring and sensed his agreement. Why would any man, any warrior, if given the choice become female? For a second Molly felt a flash of irritation and a desire to defend his former gender but then he realized that he agreed with Kratos. He was stronger, more powerful than any other warrior and he had the love of a beautiful woman. Why would he want to change any of that?

Molly stood up and offered a hand to Tanna, “I see our tent is ready. Perhaps my lady can show me why staying in Arda is the proper choice?”

“I would love to my lord.” Tanna said, standing up and facing Molly.

Suddenly the head of a cross bow bolt appeared between Tanna’s breasts and as if in slow motion she lurched forward. Molly managed to catch her dropping to one knee as another bolt sped through the space where he’d just stood. For a second time seemed to stand still. Molly couldn’t understand what he was seeing. Tanna tried to struggle but the bolt was protruding from her back as well as her front. Then Molly noticed the fetid odor and a part of him knew it was a poison. Then the war cries of the Elves around him penetrated the fog in his brain.

Molly gently rested Tanna on her side and when he stood up he pulled upon the full power of Kratos bursting his clothes in the process. In an instant a fifteen foot tall warrior clothed in glowing armor and carrying a mighty trident moved toward the attackers. Out of the darkness came a swarm of vile creatures. Giant spiders, dark skinned Elves, half-spider half-Elven hybrids, and then the mighty biggest spider Molly had ever seen moved into the light. The beast was almost the size of an elephant!

Molly threw his trident at the creature but one of the hybrids jumped in the way taking the full force of the strike in the chest. The crack of thunder that followed it was joined by the sound of Elven war horns and then the battle was joined. Molly summoned his Gladius and cut down a pair of spiders the size of horses before he closed on the first dark Elf. With a part of his mind Molly noticed Penlod and Narmartë join the fight. Their individual power shining out into the darkness as they used the Song of Ainur to aid them in battle. Then he was past the dark Elves and there was nothing between him and the Giant-Spider.

His first attack was against one of the lead legs and even though his Gladius cut the chitin it didn’t cut it as deeply as Molly had expected. Then he had to leap back to avoid being caught by the spider. Despite its size the thing moved with better agility than Molly thought possible. Again and again Molly struck and leapt away and each time the monster’s hide turned his blade.

In a fury Molly hacked at the beast but this time he was too slow jumping aside and a mighty claw tipped leg struck his shield. Molly’s legs buckled under the force of the blow and the claw actually penetrated the shield cutting Molly’s shoulder. Then the creature pulled back and the shield was ripped away and Molly felt the bones in his shoulder break.

“Aghhhh!”

Despair closed in. Tanna was dead and this foul creature was about to end him. Molly looked up waiting for death to come as the monster reared back. Then out of the night fire fell upon the beast. For a second the heat was so intense that Molly had to throw up a hand to protect his face and his mind refused to understand what had happened. Then the spider’s bellow of pain shook the ground and Molly felt it stager back.

Molly stood up and rage filled him and he summoned Griffin. The change happened in an instant and Molly felt and saw the flow of power around him. Logan was in the sky using wind and fire to attack the Child-of-Ungoliant and it looked like the creature couldn’t stand fire. Griffin was no beast of flame, but he was a creature of magic and power. With a snap of his wings he was airborne and then with a second snap he was moving around behind the monster.

The creature gestured and spinnerets launched a web up at Logan but she dodged it easily. This gave Molly the perfect opening and he struck. The full force of his weight and magically enhanced strength added by his dive caused his talons sink into the beasts back piercing its chitin and then Molly struck with his beak going for the place where the head attached to the thorax. Then with a snap of his wings Molly was once more in the air as the creature spun around screaming yet again. Only this time instead of throwing out webs with its spinnerets it threw out darkness.

Clouds of inky black billowed out filling the night blinding most creatures. Yet the eyes of the Maiar are not most eyes. Logan continued to blast the night as she circled above and then Molly dove in again. This time the strike was perfectly timed with Logan’s last blast and Molly used his hind claws to destroy the spiders’ eyes.

The howl of agony was music to Molly’s ears and he turned as tightly as he could to attack again. This time as he dropped to strike Logan came in as well and she was wielding a long sword with a blade that undulated like a Kris. The creature spun around blindly but it did no good. Molly struck the thorax and his talons cut through its hide with ease. Then Logan hacked into its neck with her long sword and an instant later the beast’s head rolled free.

Molly leapt into the air screaming his defiance of all the fell creatures of the dark. He turned and saw that the dark Elves and their spiders were falling back. This wasn’t enough for Molly. No, not after what they’d taken from him. He dove after them killing every creature he could find.

up
141 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Except

Tas's picture

Tanna isn't dead (I don't think). I'm just going to hold off on any speculation this time and wait (impatiently) for the next chapter.

Well done with this story :)

-Tas

There are a few problems wih

There are a few problems wih Logan going back alone that she has either forgotten about or hasn't had time to think about.
first it has been a lot longer than the couple of days they originally planned to wait before returning home so if the cult did move the arch she could walk right into their stronghold

second she will lose Melchiresa's powers

third she will be returning to her own world which has heavier gravity and she has been away long enough so that her movements will be slowed even farther until her body adjusts to it which would take quite awhile so essentially she coulld be walking into a trap that she can't escape from

HMMMM????

Now what strand of fate is pulling on the two travelers?

alissa

Is the true Tanna dead ? Is

Is the true Tanna dead ? Is this Tanna dieing?

Karen

Well

I do need plot threads to use for a part II, if I do it.

Cheers
Zapper