Healing Cousin George - Part 17 - Family Bonding – Part 1

Printer-friendly version

“Is it illegal for cousins to become involved?” I blushed and felt the tinge of embarrassment shoot down my spine as I took another draw on the cigarette.
“You mean you and George?”
“Eh, well… maybe.” I stammered.
“You're only half cousin’s aren’t you? Well Yeah and no. It’s not illegal. Unusual, but not illegal. You thinking about making a play for George?”

Healing Cousin George

Part 17 - Family Bonding — Part 1

by Karin Roberts


 
The thing about George is that when you put an idea into his head, he just goes off and does it. By the following weekend, two new farmhands were in place: one older guy, just retired, The second guy was a late thirty’s someone Pete new who was an experienced farm hand who had just moved back to the area. The older guy was keen to keep active and although maybe a bit too old for the heavier work he was keen and took on the role of covering most of the driving, collecting supplies etc. So now, with the workforce increased by 200%, it was no surprise that by Saturday, George had already planned the day out.

“Debbie and Gavin still up for Monday?” he asked as we sat down for dinner Saturday evening.

I looked at him. “As far as I know. I’ll call her after dinner to make sure.”

“I was thinking we could make a real day of it. We could get an early morning start, spot of lunch on the way up to the park, and then dinner somewhere on the way back”

“Hey steady on its only last week you were reluctant to take any time off from work. Now you’re planning a whole adventure!” I sniggered at his enthusiasm.

“Well Gavin was right. I thought a lot about it since… you know.” he nodded in my direction.

I acknowledged what he meant - talking about Grace.

He went on “I’ve not spent enough time with Melissa. I’ve been rather been too wrapped up in the farm and my problems. It didn’t take much for the both of you to make me see that I need to take time with her. I have been remiss in being her father.” He looked down at his plate and fiddled a bit with his food.

I saw his guilt gnawing on him. “Least you recognize the problem George. And, it’s not like you were able to do much about it back then. Let’s see how you par as a parent from here forward, and not dwell on the past, ok?”

George kept his eyes down on the plate. “You are right. I’ll give it my best, for Melissa.”

“Well then, I guess it’s a date. I’ll give Debbie a call.”
 

~*~

 
Everything went according to plan. Early Monday morning arrived and I rose to get ready for our day at the theme park. I grabbed a shower, soaping myself liberally with a lovely scented soap. The breast forms and gaffe I had been wearing for weeks now, just seemed like part of my natural body. I momentarily wondered why it was nothing seemed strange or out of place. I was totally comfortable with this being me. Strange. Or is it?

I stepped out of the warm water and picked up a towel, patting myself dry. I brushed my wet hair out and pulled on my dressing gown. Padding back across the hallway, I sat down at the dresser and began to dry my hair.

Over the weeks, I had become accustomed to taking care of my hair. The miracles of cosmetics, with help and advice from Debbie, I was now somewhat proficient in both. I had begun using heated rollers to get some curl into my hair for the day. It had gradually lengthened over the course of the weeks since my last cut and was now quite full. Soon I had mass of curls dropping from my head. I began my makeup, reminding myself that I was just going to a Theme Park for the day and not a night on the tiles with Debbie. So less was more, if you get what I mean.

Using some foundation and powder, I created my canvas to paint on Alex. Two tones of pink eye-shadow blended at the right places with a white at the top corners of each upper lid to brighten my eyes. With mascara and eyeliner out of the way, I filled in my lips with a strong pink lipstick - enough to get noticed but not too much for daywear. I finished off with a matching pink polish for my nails and sat back waiting for them to dry.

Makeup complete, I set about getting dressed for the day after a quick glance out the window to check the weather. It was bright, but not too sunny, so I decided against a dress. Instead, I pulled on a pair of leather trousers I had worn on my night out with Pete. With white underwear already in place, I chose a white lacy blouse. If it turned colder I would need a cardigan or something so I pulled one from the wardrobe and laid it on the bed. I finished off my outfit with a wide leather belt with silver studs which hung loose at my waist slanting down to the left. Walking around a Theme Park was no place for stilettos, but as I had chosen the leather trousers, they were needed. So grabbing a pair of three inch high heels, I slipped them on. Picking up the cardigan, it was time to go and join George and Melissa.

An hour later, with Gavin and Debbie with us, all five of us were in the Land Rover, speeding along the motorway en route to the theme park. Me and Debbie were in the back with Melissa, keeping her occupied. Melissa did seem rather excited and cheerful for the adventure ahead. Gavin was up front, acting as co-pilot, as none of us had ever been there before. Gavin and George made small talk over the new farm hands and how were they fitting in. What did he plan to do with his free time now? How were the arrangements going for the Annual Farmers Ball? Etc.

“Ball?” I asked, perking up my ears.

“Yeah. It’s in about two weeks. Has George not told you about it?” Gavin asked.

“Eh no. He never mentioned it to me”

George cleared his throat. “Well, I was going to. But… I seemed to have forgotten. I wasn’t sure if you would still be here by then, so I never mentioned it.” George sounded a bit embarrassed.

“Oh you need to go!” Debby piped in excitedly. “It’s the event of the year- the one chance for all these country yokels to really put the boat out and dress up!” she giggled.

“Hey! Who’s a yokel?” Gavin playfully exclaimed.

She made a face at him, putting her tongue out in jest.

“No, really, you need to go!” she went on. “George, are you taking Amanda?”

“Well, I am, I suppose.” he replied.

“Well surely, as you’re the organiser this year, you can get Alex a ticket.” Debbie winked at me.

“Eh, I don’t know. I mean, its couples only. I’m not sure I can swing it. I mean it wouldn’t look good, would it?” he squirmed.

I felt a pit in my stomach. “It’s ok. If I can’t go, then I can’t go!” I turned and looked out the window at the passing countryside.

Debbie persisted “Isn’t Archie Spiers wife in hospital? She won’t be using her ticket. Alex could use that one.”

“I’m not sure…” George repeated.

“Yeah she is” Gavin brazened, bolstering Debbie’s attack. “I play golf with him on Sundays. I’ll ask him if it’s ok. I’m sure he won’t mind.”

“There, that’s settled then. Alex can come with us so as not to play gooseberry on you and Amanda. But at least she will get to go. And it gives me an excuse for a shopping trip!” she laughed.

“As if you needed one…” Gavin sighed up front.

My thoughts were bouncing between jealousy and being hurt. On one hand, I wanted to go, but I wanted it to be with George. Knowing Amanda would be there with him ate at me. I should be there with him, not her! I should! Damn.

I let out an almost inaudible sigh as I continued watching the scenery flow by through the window. The conversation had been silenced.
 

~*~

 
We pulled into the parking lot of the theme park. George and Gavin got out and went to get Melissa’s buggy from the back in case she got tired later. While Debbie and I climbed out from the back, Melissa was already straining at my hand to get on with her adventure. We purchased day passes for a family and for Debbie and Gavin. Once our bright yellow wrist bands were securely attached to our wrists, it was off to start our day.

We moved from ride to ride, some more daring than others. George, Melissa and I were taking our seats in a variety of small metal cubicles as we were whirred around various rides at varying speeds. Debbie and Gavin were usually close behind us in the next cart.

We had been riding various attractions for just over an hour, when we reached what was probably the largest ride in the park. It had water splash features and loop the loops. That just terrified Debbie.

“Look, you two guy’s go on with Melissa. Me and Alex will watch and have a ciggie” she announced as we approached the ride.

George looked at me “You ok with that?”

“Yeah, its fine by me. You three go and enjoy yourself. I could do with a break.”

The men walked off with Melissa hand in hand between them. Me and Debbie retreated to a bench and sat down. Opening our bags we took out our cigarettes and both lit up.

“Been a good day so far. I’m enjoying it. I think Melissa and George are having fun well.” I smiled as I blew out a small ring of smoke.

“You three really look like a family together.” She commented. I blushed.

“Debbie, can I ask you something?”

“Yeah shoot.”

“Is it illegal for cousins to become involved?” I blushed and felt the tinge of embarrassment shoot down my spine as I took another draw on the cigarette.

“You mean you and George?”

“Eh, well… maybe.” I stammered.

“You're only half cousin’s aren’t you? Well Yeah and no. It’s not illegal. Unusual, but not illegal. You thinking about making a play for George?”

I blushed again. “I don’t know. He seems happy with Amanda, but we all know she’s not right for him. I mean, he’s never given me any encouragement or sign that he’s in the least bit gay or interested in me in that way, yet recently, he’s been a whole lot more attentive and interested in me. It's as if he views me as a woman now.”

“Well there’s only one way to find out. You definitely need to talk to him!”

“I know. But I’m so scared! I don’t want to destroy what I have! I’m so happy here with them and with you as my friend. I’ve never been more comfortable with myself at any time in my life than I am as Alex.”

“Well if you are going to make a move, you need to do it soon.”

We sat in silence, watching the two men and Melissa set off on the ride. Finishing our cigarettes we continued to watch them and laughed at their antics as the ride screamed upwards. Debbie glanced at her watch.

“Me and Gavin need to nip away for an hour or so.” she announced.

“Why” I asked, a bit surprised.

“Well, you see that hotel we passed on the way in?”

“Yeah.”

“Well, we’ve arranged to meet a couple there for a bit of afternoon fun.”

I blushed. “Debby Cairns, you shameless hussy!”

She shrugged her shoulders. “What can I say? We met them at a swinger’s night a few weeks ago. Nothing happened, but they just live up the road and it was too good an opportunity to miss. She’s got a great pair of boobs - so pert! And a great ass I just can’t wait to get my hands on…”

I blushed again. “So do you and the other woman get together?”

“Yeah. Usually starts out that way until the guy’s become involved” she answered, dropping her cigarette on the sidewalk and crushing it out with her shoe.

“So does Gavin ever…?” I stopped.

“What”

“Well… does Gavin ever get involved with the guy’s you know?”

“Not often, but he has done. There was one guy….”

I interrupted her. “Eh too much information! Let’s just leave it there.”

Out of the corner of my eye, I could see the ride coming to an end and George and Gavin lifting Melissa out.

“Eh, well you enjoy.” I said as we stood up.

“We will. We’ll be back in just over an hour. Anyway, you and George need a chance to talk. Now’s a good time as any?” she grinned as we walked towards them.


 
To Be Continued...

up
67 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Yay.. Nearing

Just a couple more, and at BC we're equal with FM. This is such a good series I couldn't stand the suspense and went there to find it's up at #20. Just love the way how Alex slowly takes on life as the wife of George. For that's just how it's going to be in my perception.
How (s)he seems unaware of the change up till it's too late. Like it's the most natural thing to do, to be. The gradual change of perspective by the ones around her/him. I sit in anticipation for the moment where things are likely to fall into place, maybe Melissa's going to start by responding to Alex a little differently, perhaps uttering something like 'mommy' instead of 'Awex'. Or maybe first a little row at the dance between Amanda and Alex.

Oh well, patience is a virtue. Or so they say.

Jo-Anne