Badasses Of the Multiverse: Book 3: Chapter 13

Printer-friendly version

Badasses Of the Multiverse, Book 3: “The Student, The Hacker, and The Soldier.”

Chapter Thirteen: “Just One Of Those Days...”

By Paul Cousins.

Copyright Disclaimer: All copyrighted places, characters, items, and events, within the story, are held by their current owners. No profit is being made on this work of fiction.

(_)

Author's Forward:

This chapter takes place, after the first chapter. After young Bob escapes back to his home reality.

This chapter takes place from the point of views of Future Bob, Future Ed, Future B, and the Serenity Crew.

Also, please note that, Ed is thirty-six years in old. Also, due to a rejuvenation therapy, she received five years previous, to the current time, Ed is now physically in her late twenties. Along with this, Ed now ages very slowly, while remaining very healthy, and physical fit, as he slender, skinny self.

Bob is thirty-eight years in age, The add close to one year in age difference between Ed and Bob, due to Bob spending nearly a year traveling the multiverse by himself, searching for a cure for Boris/B. Though, it is not an exact year. So, sometimes, on paper, they can appear to have only one year between their ages.

Also, Bob no longer has the brown long coat he had been wearing. He gave it back to Mal, whom he stole if from, at the end of chapter one.

Now, on with the show...

(_)

Cowboy Bebop Reality. The Serenity Spaceship, in transit between Ganymede to Mars, in the hyperspace gate system. It has been five days since Bob had escape the Serenity crew, when they were on Earth. And a few days after they found out that Reggie was Bob of the future. With Bob returning Mal's coat to him.

It was the middle of the afternoon, for those inside the Serenity.

Except for Jayne, whom was in the cockpit, flying the ship, everyone else was in the common area, sitting in the couches and chairs, watching TV.

Simon and Kaylee shared on couch together, and they were making no secret of their affections for each other.

In the other couch, Daiyu, River, and Inara sat next to each other.

Zoe was sitting in a chair, with Mal sitting in a chair by her.

And everyone could tell that Mal was sick, with a bad cold.

Mal was even wearing his brown long coat, to try to stay warm, as he occasionally shivered.

Inara turned to Mal, as she asked, “Mal, how are you doing?”

Mal turned to her, as he answered, “About as good as expected. Though, I will probably be fine in a few days.”

Zoe suggested, “Sir, you need to take it easy. You do not look well.”

Mal responded, “Thank you. To the both of you. For your concern. I think I will go get some water to drink.”

As Mal stood up from his chair, everyone looked at him with concern.

Suddenly, as Mal stood fully up on his feet, Mal sneezed, and the rest of the crew all watched as instantly, Mal turned into a slightly shorter, more slender, and beautiful woman, whom looked like she could be Mal's sister. The crew could tell her respectably sized breasts, under Mal's shirt. And the woman had the same eye and hair color as Mal, though her hair was slightly longer. And she appeared to be the same age as Mal was.

A second later, the woman sneezed again, and she instantly turned back into Mal.

Mal said, in a confused tone of voice, “What... just... happened?...”

Everyone else got up from their seats, in surprise, and worry, for Mal's welfare.

Zoe responded, “What the hell, sir?”

River and Daiyu looked at each other, as Daiyu thought, 'I don't know.'

River quietly replied, “I believe you.”

River and Daiyu then turned back to look at Mal.

Inara quipped, “Well Mal, you make a much cuter woman than I thought you would.”

Mal turned to Inara, as he flatly asked, “What?!”

Zoe carefully said, “Captain. In all seriousness. You turned into a woman, just now. And then you turned back into your old self.”

Mal looked over at Zoe, as he responded, in a confused tone of voice, “I did?”

Daiyu asked, “Did you feel the change?”

Mal answered, “No. All I felt was my clothing shifting around my body.”

Daiyu said, “Interesting.”

Kaylee commented, “Mal, you have somehow gained the same sneezing gender ability, as Akira.”

Zoe questioned, “Who?”

Kaylee answered, “The blond woman we met, that was part of the crew that got us to this reality. She could change between male and female instantly, with a sneeze.”

Zoe replied, “Oh. Now, I remember.” She thought, 'I just meet so many in this line of work, that it is hard to keep track of all of them.'

River turned to Zoe, as she replied, “I agree.” She then turned to Simon, as she asked, “But, how did Mal get this way?”

Mal then sneezed again, instantly changing back in a woman.

This time, Mal looked down at herself. While in a slight state of shock, she used her hands to feel her body, through her clothing.

Though, to Mal's credit, when Mal felt through her clothing, to touch her chest, and then her crouch, with her feeling the addition of new body parts, while other body parts, that she was use to, were now missing, Mal did not scream.

Mal then looked up at Zoe, as she begged, in a different, feminine voice, than she had as a man, “Zoe, please tell me I am dreaming.”

Mal could see that the pleading expression on Zoe's face, as the dark skinned woman replied, “I wish I could, sir... Ma'am... Mal. But, you are not dreaming.”

River stated, “We need to find out how this happened.”

Simon realized something, as he ordered, with concern in his told of voice, “It has got to be the cold. Get Mal to the infirmary, right now”

Zoe and Inara helped a very dazed, confused, and female, Mal to the ship's infirmary

As they rest of the crew headed for the infirmary, Daiyu when over to the intercom. She punched the cockpit, as she stated, “Jayne, we have had an incident.”

On the other end of the line, Jayne flatly asked, “What is it?”

Daiyu answered, “The captain has turned into a woman, and is being taken to the infirmary.”

Jayne said, with interest in his tone of voice, “This I have got to see. I will be there as soon as I set the autopilot.”

Daiyu then went to join the others, as they all headed for the infirmary.

(_)

A few minutes later, Except for Mal and Simon, the entire crew, including Jayne, were standing right outside the open hatch to the infirmary. All of them were looking at the two individuals in the infirmary.

Those two individuals were Captain Malcolm Mal Reynolds, and Doctor Simon Tam.

Presently, Mal was a woman, and she laying on the medical chair, with her brown coat off, but the rest of her clothing on. Mal's coat was hanging on a chair, in the room. And Simon had already scanned it.

Nearby, Simon was looked at some computer monitors by one of the walls of the room.

Right on the other side of the hatch, into the infirmary, Zoe whisper to Daiyu, “Why did you call, Jayne?”

Daiyu softly replied, “We would never hear the end of it, from him, if he was not here for this.”

Zoe quietly conceded, “Good point.”

For the most part, the crew remained silent, so they could listen to the conversation that was taking place in medical infirmary.

Inside the infirmary, as Mal laid on the patient's table, Doctor Simon Tam was already running every scan he could on Mal's female body.

Simon had already drawn some of Mal's blood, into a vial, and he was having the vial of blood analyzed, by ship's medical equipment and computers.

At the moment, Simon was displaying his medical genius, as he looked at several monitors on a side of the room, dealing with readings from different tests he was running on Mal, at the same time.

While Mal laid in the chair, she warned, “Simon, if you so much as hint at doing a pelvic exam on me, I will shoot you. Do I make myself clear?...”

Simon continued to look at the monitors. He read he results of the scans on Mal, as he quipped, “I wouldn't dream of it, captain.”

Unfortunately, Mal was still having a hard time coming to grips on suddenly turning into a woman, and she started to babble, “I find this voice to be so different. If I couldn't change back into a guy, I would likely go crazy. I am talking real crazy. Crazy like your sister.”

Simon turned to look at Mal, as he firmly stated, “My sister has gotten much better, since then. And if you wish for my help, you will not talk to her like that.” From the corner of his eye, Simon saw River smile at him.

Mal replied, “Okay. I meant, like you sister use to be.”

Simon replied, “Much better.” Simon joked, “Though, if you do go crazy, I will refer you to my sister. She has a doctorate in being a crazy woman.”

Mal commented, “Hey. You just told me not to make fun of River.”

Simon commented, “I am her brother. I get to make jokes about her.” From the corner of his eye, Simon saw River giggle a little.

Simon then ordered, with his tone becoming more serious, “Okay captain. I want you to sneeze again, so the scans can actually record the change, in real time.”

A few seconds later, Mal was to make herself sneeze, and she instantly turned back into a man.

Simon walked over to Mal, with a needle, hub, and vacuum tube, in his hands. He stated, “I need to draw some blood, when you are a man. For comparison with your female blood sample.”

Mal rolled up his left arm, which was the arm that he had not previous used to draw blood. He said, “Do what you have to do.”

Simon drew the blood, put it in another analyze, beside the blood Mal had given while female. And he safely discarded medical instruments into a bio-hazard needle box.

Simon stated, “While, we are still waiting on the blood comparisons. I have some news, captain. I am not sure you would consider it good, or bad.”

Mal requested, in a slightly tired tone of voice, “Just spit it out.”

Simon stated, “When you are a woman. You are a woman. With a completely functional set of female reproductive organs and genitalia.”

Mal replied, with slight embarrassment, “Does that mean?... Other problems, as well...”

Simon responded, “I don't know. That is what all of these tests are for.”

Mal turned look at the open hatch, where most of his crew was.

Given the personal nature of his current problems, Mal felt extremely embarrassed with his crew being present.

Mal asked, in an annoyed tone of voice, “Does the rest of the crew have to be here?”

Simon answered, “Yes. Because this change is likely due to a disease. As such, the situation effects all of us.”

Mal pointed out, “I could order them away.”

Simon responded, “You are the captain's of this ship, but every medical regulation I can think of states that when it comes to sickness, the doctor is law on the ship.”

Mal turned to Simon, as he questioned, “This over that sick joke I pulled on you, when you and River first came aboard? When I lied to you, by telling you that Kaylee was dead, after I threatened you life, if you did not save her.”

Simon lips curled into a wicked grin, as he said, “No comment.”

From across the room, Zoe requested, “Captain, please just do what Simon says.”

Mal turned to Zoe, as he said, “You are not helping.”

Zoe decided not to respond to Mal's comment.

On the other side of hatch, in the small hallway, Jayne was standing with most of the crew, as he looked at Mal. Jayne muttered, while trying to hide his grin, “This is pure comedy gold.” He thought, 'I wish I was recording this.'

River commented, “I believe Simon is already doing that. I will see if he will make copies.”

Jayne turn to River, as he replied, “Thanks.”

River looked at Jayne, and smiled.

Both Jayne and River looked back at Mal.

Inside the infirmary, Simon looked over at two monitors by him, as he stated, “This is interesting. I just finished the hormone scan. You male blood's hormone balance is perfectly normal for a male of your age. While you female blood's hormone balance is perfectly normal for a woman of the same age. Though, you female blood currently shows that you female form's cycle is experiencing her early follicular phase.”

Mal turned to Simon, as he asked, in confusing, while he really didn't want the answered, “Meaning?”

Simon calming said, “If you stay a woman, you would haven't to worry some of the more embarrassing problems women have, for at least a few weeks.”

From the corner of his eye, Mal could see the women of his crew snickering.

Mal thought, 'I hate my life.'

River grinned, as she joked, “Well, if you change into a woman, I can promise eating chocolate helps.”

The women, among the crew, burst out laughing.

Mal turned towards them, as he thought, with anger, 'River. One more joke like that, and I will go on a killing spree that will make what you did to those reavers, on Mister Universe's Moon, look like a playground brawl.'

River said, “I don't doubt that.”

Mal turned to River's brother, Simon, as he asked, “Simon, do you have anything to tell me that might make me feel better?”

Simon was looked at the readings, and pictures from a few of the monitors, as he commented, “Yes. I think I found the cause of your illness. The how, is a completely different matter.”

Mal inquired, “What is the cause?”

Simon answered, “As we thought. It is your cold. Though, it is a virus. And this ability is permanent. Your genes have been altered, and will likely stay that way for the rest of your life. But, I have some good news.”

Mal inquired, “What?”

Simon said, “This virus is not deadly. Annoying, yes. But, not deadly, nor crippling. And from the readings I am getting. Besides the gender change, your aging in both genders has slowed greatly. Very greatly. You are going to live a very long time.”

Mal shrugged, as he replied, “That is nice.”

Zoe asked, “Do we know where the virus came from?”

Simon stated, “Yes. Mal's coat was the infection point of the virus. The armpits to be exact. Those are the locations where I found largest amounts of the dead virus remnants at. And we know who previously had the coat in his possession.”

Mal all but yelled, “Bob!” A few seconds later, as he forced himself to calm down, he continued, in a normal tone of voice, “And he said he had cleaned my coat.”

Simon calmly responded, “Yes. We have a lead on the origin of this virus. The good news is that the virus does not live long on surfaces. A few minutes, at best. So, we won't have to burn our clothing and disinfect the ship, after this the disease has run its course.”

River inquired, “If Bob was infected, why hasn't there been any reports of an outbreak?”

Simon turned to River, as he said, “It is possible he is just a carrier of the disease. The virus is likely hidden in his lymph nodes. Some of the lymph nodes which are located in the armpit regions of the human body, and he unknowingly sweated the virus into the coat.”

“If that is the case. This is very good news. It means that normal fluid transfer will not transfer the virus. Blood transfusion from him will probably infect someone, but not kissing, nor sexual intercourse. It is likely that neither Ed, nor B, are infected.”

Inara said, “That is nice to hear.”

Simon commented, “I agree. But, we do need to inform the three of them of this situation.” He turned to Mal, as he continued, “Even if this situation is embarrassing, for some people.”

Mal looked at Simon, as he said, “Do it. I want to speak to Bob, as well. I want to know how much he is knowing at fault for this situation.”

Jayne stated, “I know Bob good enough to say that he would not intentionally do this to you, captain. And it is very likely that him, B, and Ed would be more than happy to help us.”

Simon turned to the crew, as he said, “Be that as it may, this virus is highly contagious. We have all be exposed. We are all likely infected. And I am putting this ship under quarantine.”

“The only good news is that none of us have not be off the ship since we left Mars. And none of us have displayed any symptoms, yet. With the only person that was outside, in Ganymede, being Kaylee. And she step outside to inspect a small engine part for the Serenity, and bring it into the cargo hold.”

Simon turned to Kaylee, as he asked, “Kaylee, did you interact with anyone on Ganymede?”

Kaylee answered, “No. I did not even talk to the delivery man. After he brought the item to our ship, I just signed the documents, brought the item inside, and we took off.”

Simon responded, “Good. The rest of the solar system should be fine. We will likely be the only ones infected.”

Zoe asked, “How long are we going to be stuck in here?”

Simon answered, “Until we are no longer contagious. I would guess, three weeks, to a month. Afterward, we will have to be careful around other people. So, we don't accidentally infect them, with our blood and other bodily fluids. But, that is not too difficult. So, we should be fine.”

Jayne asked, “Doc, you said the captain is contagious? And we are likely infected? Does that mean?...”

Simon answered, “Yes, Jayne. You will eventually be able to turn into a woman with a sneeze?”

Daiyu commented, “Now, that is a scary thought.”

The rest of the crew snickered, except for Jayne, Mal, and Simon.

River whispered into her girlfriend's ear, “You would know.”

River's commented caused Daiyu to shut up, which made River smile.

Jayne whined, “I don't to turn into a woman.”

Zoe ordered, “Jayne, go back to the cockpit, and pilot the ship. Doing so will take your mind off of the situation.”

Jayne complimented, “Good idea, Zoe.”

In the hallway, Jayne then turned around, and he headed back to the cockpit.

River looked over at Simon, as she asked, “Is there anything that can be done to stop the virus from changing us?” She thought, 'Not that I mind, either way.'

Simon looked at the rest of the crew, as he stated, “No. We have all be exposed to the virus. We may not have a choice? I don't understand this virus. I don't know how the change works. Since it won't kill us, nor seriously harm us... And like Akira. The change can be controlled by sneezing. Besides some possible embarrassment. I see no serious long term problems. As such, I suggest we let the illness run its course.”

Kaylee smiled, as she commented, “Oh, common guys, cheer up. Turning into a woman is not that bad.”

Simon pointed out, “If this virus can do what I suspect, you women are soon going to be able to turn into men, with a sneeze.”

Kaylee smiled wickedly, towards Simon, as she stated, “Then, Simon, our next date is going to be very interesting.”

Simon returned Kaylee's smile, as he complimented, “That is what I like about you, Kaylee. You are so positive.”

Kaylee's grin got a little wider, as she said, “Thank you.”

Inara whisper to Zoe, “That sad part with Mal is that he is too macho to appreciate the more enjoyable opportunities that being a woman brings.”

Zoe softly replied, “No argument there. Are you freaked out at the thought of being about to turn into a guy?”

Inara quietly responded, “No. You?”

Zoe whispered, “No.”

Nearby, with her enhanced hearing, Daiyu could not help be listen to Inara and Zoe's conversation.

Daiyu frowned, as she thought, 'Oh crap. I know the gender bending genre enough to realize I will not be able to stay a woman all the time. And when I do change, they will recognized me as Chang, and they likely kill me. I am so screwed.'

River whispered in her ear, “Maybe not. We will talk later about it.”

Daiyu turned to River, and she gave her girlfriend a weak smile. She thought, 'Thank you, River.'

River returned her girlfriend's smile.

Nearby, inside the infirmary, Simon stated, “Well, let's call, Bob. And get the ball rolling on finding out more about this virus.”

Mal agreed, “Good idea.”

(_)

Mars, Tharsis City.

It was mid-morning in Tharsis city, were Bob and Ed's apartment was located.

Unlike many mornings, Ed had gotten up with Bob.

By the time both of them had gotten cleaned up, and dressed, B had stopped by.

B was dressing in a white t-shirt, light brown pants, black leather belt, black boots, and light brown cloth jacket.

B's light brown cloth jacket hid the shoulder holster and semi-automatic pistol she had.

Ed was dress in a t-shirt, shorts, and tennis shoes, with socks.

Bob was dressed in dark brown pants, brown leather belt, a light brown button up shirt, with long sleeves, and a pair of black boots.

B let herself in with her key Bob and Ed has given her, to their apartment. And the three of them had breakfast, together, at home. After they were finished with breakfast. They cleaned up the dishes, and put away the food. They then headed to the living room area of the apartment.

They were currently watching TV in the living room, as Bob and Ed sat on the couch, and B sat in one of the living room chairs.

There was ringing from the vidphone.

Ed said, “I'll get it.” She then got up, and answered the video phone, which was one a table, in the back of the room, away from the windows.

Bob thought, 'I'll... After a number of years of talking screwy, Ed finally decided to talk normally. After she realized that she could no longer play the feral card. She has been in civilization too long, and she knew it. She is still crazy, though. Just a nice crazy, as she always has been.'

A minute later, Ed called, “Bob, it is for you. It is Simon, and he sounds serious.
They had me switch to an encrypted channel.”

Bob said, “Coming.” He then got up, and walked to vidphone.

After, Ed walked away, and back to the sit down on the couch, Bob looked into the video screen of the device.

Bob saw Simon on the other end. He asked, “What is it, Simon? I hope you guys are not still sore about the whole mess with my past self visiting a few days ago?”

Simon answered, “Yes, and no. This has more to do with you. We have had an incident on the Serenity. Mal is sick, and we traced the virus he has back to the coat you gave back to him.”

Bob asked, with concern in his tone of voice, “How sick is Mal?”

Simon stated, “Mal is not going to die. But, there is one matter about the virus... You can see for yourself.”

Simon stepped out of the screen

Bob recognized the room at the infirmary.

Mal as sitting up, on the medical chair, as he faced the screen.

Mal stated, “I want an explanation for this, Bob.”

Bob then watched Mal sneeze, and he instantly changed into a woman.

Bob's eyes widened, as he screamed, “Edward! Boris! Get over here!”

From across the room, B immediately thought, 'Bob only calls Ed, Edward, and me, by my old name, when things are serious.'

B and Ed go up, and rush over to beside Bob, at the vidphone.

Bob pressed a button on the vidphone to set the speaker and microphone to conference mode, while he put the receiver back on the hook.

B asked, “What is is, Bob?”

Ed inquired, “Who is that on the screen?”

Bob plainly stated, “That is Mal. I think he caught a gender changing virus from me.”

Ed asked, with annoyance in her tone of voice, “You can change now, and you didn't tell me?”

Bob responded, “No. I cannot. But, I think I may be a carrier for a gender changing virus.”

Simon stepped back to the screen

Simon stated, “Those are my thoughts, exactly. The Serenity is under quarantine, by my orders. Fortunately, we think this illness has not spread beyond the ship. But, what can you tell me about this virus?”

Bob said, “It is a long story.”

Mal stated, from behind Simon, “We will pay the phone charges. Just tell us.”

Bob began, “The story starts with a black haired japanese man named Akira, whom could change into a blond caucasian woman, with a sneeze.”

Simon inquired, “So, Akira was a man originally?”

Bob stated, “Yes. I don't have the fully story on her. But, I do know where her abilities came from. She is mostly human. She has ancestry from two different alien species. One alien species changing gender with sexual arousal, or stress. The other alien species is a long lived species.”

“The best I can figure, genes from these two species messed with each other, so that Akira gender changing would not be triggered by sexual arousal, nor stress. But instead, the trigger is sneezing. And her female form would be few years younger than her male form. Also, when Akira was born, these genes controlling Akira's abilities were originally dormant. They were activated when Akira was a teenager.”

Simon questioned, “And how are you connected to Akira?”

Bob said, “And well... I am originally from Akira's home reality, and Earth. And I have similar ancestry. My genes are dormant. I am a latent gender bender. I would prefer to stay that way.”

Simon asked, “What is the trigger to activate your alien genes? I doubt it is sneezing.”

Bob stated, “No. It is not sneezing. I have sneezed plenty of times in my life, and it has yet to cause me to change genders. And I am not telling you will trigger my dormant genes, because I am sure one of you in the crew will try to activate my genes as some misguided sense of revenge.”

Simon agreed, “Good point. Though, thinking about what I know about you, I can guess what that trigger is. Still, I will respect your privacy.”

Bob said, “Thank you.”

Simon cautioned, “But, I am sure River will figure this out, as well. Or, she will eventually read my mind.”

Bob replied, “I will make sure to stay on her good side.”

Simon replied, “Good idea. Now, please continue.”

Bob went on to say, “In my travels, alone, through the multiverse, I came to an entire alternate Earth, whose total population of humanity had been infected, and changed by a gender changing virus, a few decades before I arrived there. Since you know about Akira, I am guessing you know about Ranma?”

Simon answered, “Yes. The water curse. Hot and cold water triggers Ranma's gender changing. I had the chance to exam Akira, Natsuru, Ranma, and even Rock, on their gender changing. Annie would not let me examine her.”

Bob replied, “Oh, trust me. If you knew who Annie was, you be happy you did not.

Simon asked, “So, who was she?”

Bob answered, “She is a gender bent Darth Vader.”

Simon asked, “From the movies?”

Bob said, “Yes. That Darth Vader. From after the prequel trilogy, but she was kidnapped and changed some time before the original trilogy.”

Simon replied, “Now, I am happy I did not push the matter with her.”

Bob agreed, “Yes. And please do not tell her, that I told you, who she once was.”

Simon stated, “As far as I am concerns. This part of our conversation never happened. And I am sure Mal feels the same way.”

Mal said, from behind Simon, “I did not hear anything about that.”

Simon continued to look at the screen, as he shrugged, towards Bob.

Bob responded, “Thank you. Anyway, the virus worked like Ranma's curse. Cold water changes the gender of the person. Those born boys, turn into girls with cold water. Those born girls, turn into boys with cold water. Hot water reverse both sets of gender benders back to their original gender.”

“What happened was one of them bite me, drawing blood, infecting me with their virus. But, I found out that my genes protected me from the virus. But, I later heard exposure to my genes, through my blood, caused the person's trigger for gender changing to go from water to sneezing.”

“I am guessing, that since Mal sneezed, to cause the gender change, he has some of my genes in him.”

From behind Simon, Mal commented, in a sarcastic tone of voice, “Great. So, now we are related?”

Bob admitted, “I am not sure how to reply to that comment.”

Simon stated, “Don't worry about it.” He turned to face Mal, as he said, “We will chalk it up to something like a blood transfusion, and leave it at that.”

From behind Simon, Bob heard Mal reply, “I can live with that.”

Simon turned to face the screen, as he inquired, “Still, this is interesting. So, this is a mutated strain of the virus.”

Bob answered, “Yes. And that could be a very good thing. The original strain stayed contagious in people that it infected, for decades. If that is the case with you, the only option I can give you is to take you all to that plague world, I just mentioned. Either that, or you will be trapped on your ship. But, I don't think that will be the case. I remember from school, that it was mentioned that most mutated strains of a virus are weaker than the original strain.”

Simon said, “From what I have been seeing, while studying this virus. You are likely correct. All of us are infected, and we should start being to change genders soon. But, the virus itself should go dormant in our bodies in a three weeks to a month. We will change genders, but not be contagious. And we should be completely over the cold symptoms of this illness, by then.”

Bob could not help but crack a grin, as he stated, “That should make things interesting for you guys.” Bob mentally added, 'I cannot wait until they find out that Daiyu is Chang.'

Simon agreed, “Yes. It will. Could I get a sample of the original strain?”

Bob answered, in a sad tone of voice, “No. It is too contagious to risk trying to get a sample of. An alien woman, from my home reality, followed me to that plague world. She returned her home world. I followed her, and barely stopped a galaxy wide pandemic of my home reality. Still, that entire alien world was infected. Any humanoid alien life was infect by that virus.”

“Fortunately, from what I understand, they have long since gotten things under control, and cured the virus to the point they are no longer contagious, and the planet is no longer under quarantine. But, they did not cure the gender changing.”

Bob thought, 'Though, now that I think about it. They were also able to use my DNA to change the trigger to sneezing.'

Simon replied, “That is nice to know. Could we contact them?”

Bob offered, “Sorry. But, no, again. It would cause problems in a number of ways. If the virus will just goes dormant on its own, it would be best to just let it run its course. If it is still contagious in a month, I will try to contact them.”

Simon agreed, “That sounds reasonable to me.”

Bob grumbled, “Still, I am annoyed about this. I was scanned by Star Fleet level tech, and they found that my body was clean of the virus.”

Simon pointed out, “Well, it is possible for viruses to hide in the body, and I suspect that is what happened. And the virus hid in your lymph nodes. You need to be aware that you are a carrier, and your blood will likely infect someone. You need to be careful.”

Bob flatly stated, “I will.”

Simon inquired, “Good. Also, it was your lymph nodes that are near your armpits that sweated out the virus into your coat, and that is how Mal was infected. The good news is that the virus only lives a few minutes on dry surfaces. Even being put in immediate contact with the virus on the coat should have not infected Mal. It was a one in a thousand shot. But, virus did infect Mal.”

Bob commented, “What can be said. Mal is extremely lucky at being unlucky.”

Ed and B giggled a little, at Bob's comment.

Simon cracked a grin, as he commented, “I am going to have to remember that line.”

Mal said, “I heard that.”

Simon inquired, “Now, is anyone in your party sick with this virus? Or, have they already had it, and can change gender on their own?”

Bob looked at both B and Ed

Ed stated, “I don't turn into a guy with a sneeze, nor a splashed of cold water. I think that rejuvenation the party you two got me for my birthday, awhile back, made me immune to the virus.”

Bob looked at Ed, as he commented, “Yes. That was a good birthday present by us, five years ago.”

Ed agreed, “I know. It is almost as good at the super-soldier serum. It restored my age to my late twenties, slow my aging down greatly, and made me extremely healthy, while keeping me my slender self. But, the rejuvenation therapy did not make me immune to instant packages of spring of drowned man. That was fun, the one time I used a packet to change into a man, to pull that joke on you.”

Bob conceded, “Okay. I will admit that was a funny joke you pulled on me, on B's birthday. With some of the instant man packets we got for her.” He turned to B, as he asked, “What about you, B?”

B stated, “If I could do that, I would not be using the instant stuff when I want to be male. Though, I will admit the instant stuff gives me more control of when I want to be a male, or female.”

Simon said, “Good to hear that none of you are infected. Still, I will need information on a number of things.”

As Simon spoke, the three adults turned back to the vidphone.

Bob knew what was coming, as he questioned, “Dare I ask what?”

Simon shook his head, as he responded, “All the things us men hate to talk about, when it comes to women.”

Ed and B giggled some more.

Simon ticked off the list, “First, how does the gender change effect a person's mind and body? This includes gender identity and sexual attraction. Does the change effect the fertility of either gender form? Does the female form lock during pregnancy? And how do changing back and forth effect the female form's menstrual cycle?”

Bob thought, with mild annoyance, 'I am a man. And I have two women right beside me. Though, I am the one that is expected to have these answers. There is something is seriously wrong with this situation.'

'Still, I remember talking to Akira about this, years ago. During our fight at the Tokyo docks. The problem is I barely remember what she said. Though, I am sure I can solve that problem by just asking her again.'

Bob stated, “If this was the original virus, I could give you the answers. I had a few long discussions with the people there. But, since it is a mutation that works more towards Akira's changing abilities, which sadly, I know little about, on the questions you are asking, I cannot tell you. But, I know where to find the answers at?

Ed grinned, as she said, “Road trip.”

B commented, “Don't worry, Simon. With reality tech, as far as you should be concerned, we will be back in about five to ten minutes after we leave this reality.”

Simon replied, “That is nice to hear. Though, I would like you to call back in about four hours. There is a test I need to preform on Mal, for a few hours.”

Mal questioned, in the background, “What test?”

Simon turned to Mal, as he stated, “I will get to it in a minute.” He then turned back to face Ed, Bob, and B, on the vidphone.

Bob responded, “Okay. And Simon, I do have one word of warning. An oddity that Akira had for her female form, that I am not sure will apply to you, and the crew of your ship.”

“When Akira ate nattou, or better known as fermented soybeans, in her female form, that food caused her to go into sexual heat for a few hours, and produce pheromones that caused most men, and some women to be sexually attracted to her, in the extreme. Now, she was able to control herself. But, most of those around her were not. Though, she was about to escape them, before things took a turn for the worse.”

Simon said, “I will make sure that all forms of fermented soybeans are taken off the ship's menu.”

Bob stated, “That will be a good idea. We will contact you when we have your answers.”

Simon replied, “Thank you. And good luck.”

Simon then disconnected his end of connection, while Bob turning off the vidphone in his and Ed's apartment.

Bob turned to Ed and B, as he stated, “I will be right back.”

Bob then went into the bedroom he shared with Ed. A few seconds later, he walked out into living room, with one of the reality devices in his right hand. He held the reality device in his right hand, as he came to a stop in a clear space in the room.

Bob thought, 'I am happy that Ed built a few more of these reality devices. Since this is a friendly visit, I think I will leave my weapons behind. B has a pistol and I have a reality device, for a quick escape. So, I see no reason to go armed. I really need to get a new coat some time, to hide my gunbelt. So, I can conceal it, and not get into immediate trouble by having it.'

As B and Ed walked up close to Bob, Ed pointed out, “You know it has been years since we have seen them.”

Bob responded, “For them, it will just be a year since we last saw them, at Nataru and Birdy's wedding.”

Ed grinned, as she said, “That works for me.”

As B and Ed came to a stop by Bob, B smiled, as she commented, “Sometimes not talking to people for years is beneficial.
Such as now, because we are not creating a paradox.”

Bob requested, “Is is okay if we just jump back here four hours from now, to give Simon the time he needs?”

Ed replied, “That is okay with me.”

B said, “I see no problem with that.”

Ed inquired, “So, is this going to be a partly blind jump?”

Bob responded, “Yep. I will think about Akira, Ranma, and Natsuru, and where they are a year from after the wedding of Nataru and Birdy.”

Ed questioned, “Can we look those two up, as well, along with, Violin.”

Bob said, “Maybe later. That would be more of a full day trip. And after what I learned about myself, and the Serenity crew this morning, I just want to go over to trio's home, talk to Akira, get the answers, come back, give them to Simon, and then stay at home, and rest for the rest of the day.”

Ed responded, “I understand.”

B stated, “Well, at least I don't think we have to much to worry about.”

Bob looked over at B, as he said, in an annoyed tone of voice, “Why did you have to jinx us, B? Why?”

B realized what she had just said. She winced, as she replied, “Oops.”

Bob said, “Let's do this and get it over with.”

Bob then used his reality device to teleport Ed, B, and himself, to another reality, where he hoped to meet some of his other friends, to get some answers for Doctor Simon Tam.

(_)

In the Cowboy Bebop Reality, inside the hyperspace gateway, heading from Ganymede to Mars, inside the infirmary, of the firefly spaceship, Serenity, Simon had just finished talk to Bob, Ed, and B, on the vidphone. He then disconnected the vidphone, and turned to Mal.

The rest of the crew had already left for the common area, except for Jayne, whom was in the cockpit, piloting the ship.

Simon stated, “Mal, there is something I need you to do.”

Mal looked over at Simon, as he asked, “What?”

Simon calmly said, “Please understand. This is not a joke. There is a test I need to do on your blood. Before I confirm something, one way, or another. I need you to stay a woman for the next four hours.”

Mal's eyes went wide. He asked, “Do I want to know why?”

Simon picked up a box of paper tissues. He handed it to Mal, as he answered, “No. But, it is very important. Now, try to sneeze, and become female. Then, try not to sneeze for the next four hours. And I would prefer you to stay here, as you wait until the four hours is up. Use these to help keep you from sneezing.”

Mal forced himself to calm down, as he took the box. He said, “Okay. Though, I am going to pee, first.”

Simon commented, “Well, you are going to have to sometime learn to do that as a woman. And there is no time like the present. Even if you went right now, as a man. Four hours can be a long time to hold it. And you will eventually have to go, as a woman.”

Mal grumbled, “Fine.”

A minute later, Mal was able to force himself to sneeze, and change into a woman.

Mal set the paper tissue box down, on a small surgical table by the medical chair she was sitting in. She looked over at Simon, as she growled, “I will be in back in a minute.”

Mal then got up, and headed for a nearby restroom.

Simon watched Mal leave, as he thought, 'This is going to be a long four hours.'

Five minutes later, Mal returned to the infirmary, still a woman. She then sat back down in the medical chair. She then turned to Simon, whom was still in the room. She asked, “So, is there anything to do in here, as I wait?”

Simon turned to Mal, as he offered, “I can put on a movie, on one of the monitors. The sound system in here is okay. Or, we could play cards.”

Mal said, “I would just prefer to watch a movie, right now.”

A few minutes later, Mal picked a movie to watch, on a screen in the infirmary. And as she watched the movie, Simon continued to look at his computer screens, as he did research on the gender changing virus that had infected Captain Malcolm Mal Reynolds.

(_)

Reality, Bob and Akira's home reality. Date, a year after Birdy and Nataru's wedding. Place, Japan, in the forest mountains of the nation, by a two-story home, along a two lane road. Time, it was around noon, local time.

B, Ed, and Bob stood next to each other. They looked around where they had teleported.

While the area has no snow, time temperature was cold, bordering on cold. And it was a partly cloudy day.

Bob put the reality device in his right side pants pocket.

Ed used her right hand to point at the house, as she commented, “That must be their place. From the type of trees around here, I would guess this is Japan. On the island of Honshu. The largest island in Japan.” She then dropped her right hand back to her side.

The three adults walked up the path, that lead from the street to the front door of the home.

B stood in front of the door, with Bob and Ed behind her.

B knocked on the front door a few times. After a minute of nothing happening, she placed her ear against the door for several seconds. She turned to Ed and Bob, as she stated, “I do not hear anyone.”

Ed questioned, “Could they not be home?”

Bob said, “I am sure one of them is here. The reality device has not failed to take us where we wanted to go, even once. Ed, pick the lock.”

B stood out of the way, as Ed bent down. Ed faced the lock, while she pulled out small tool case from her left, side, shorts pocket.

A minute later, she had successfully picked both the deadbolt, and knob locks.

Ed stood up. She then put away her tools into their case, and the case back into her pocket. Next, Ed opened the door, as she joked, “Gentlemen first.”

Bob walked up to Ed, and looked down at her face, while he smiled. He complimented, “You humor gets better with age.”

Ed returned the smile, while they gave each other a quick kiss on the lips.

After they broke the kiss, the couple, and B, walked into the inside of the home.

Ed gently shut the door behind them.

As they entered the residence, they found themselves in the living room of the home.

While the lights were turned off, the sunlight from the draped windows, provided plenty of light to see with.

They saw that there were tables, couches, chairs in the room. Also, there was a TV, with various entertainment systems under it, along with a laptop computer by a nearby desk, that was left open, and turned on.

Ed looked over at the computer, as she stated, “Someone is here. That computer is turned on, and left logged onto a user account. It is in japanese, but I can tell from here that an internet browser window has been pulled up.”

B inquired, “So, where are they in the house?”

Suddenly, they heard screams of a woman, coming from upstairs.

Ed stated, “That doesn't sound like screams of pleasure.”

Bob agreed, “No, it doesn't.”

Bob thought, 'Still, if they are having sex, this could get painful for us.'

The three friends then quickly found where the staircase was, and they rushed upstairs.

They followed the screams to a closed door.

B pulled her pistol, and chambered a round, as Bob tested the door, to find that is was unlocked.

While they heard another scream of pain, Bob quietly opened the door, and slowly pushed it open,

As they looked inside, what they saw was the last thing they expected find.

It was a very large, very nice, well furnished, bedroom, with it's own master bathroom, and walk in closets.

To the left side of the room, from Bob, Ed, and B's point of view, were the windows in the room. With the windows providing plenty of light into the room.

Laying on a large king sized bed, with the headboard resting against the wall, opposite to the door the hallway, with all three of three of them on their backs, laying over the sheets, their heads on their pillows, were Akira, Natsuru, and Ranma. Natsuru was in the middle, with Akira to her side right, and Ranma to her left side. All of them were female. All of them were only wearing shirts, with the outlines of the shirts showing bras underneath their shirts. They were not wearing anything below their waist.

From from the size and shape of their bellies, and their demeanor, all three were pregnant, at full term, and going through labor.

Strangely, except for their bellies, the rest of their bodies were still slim and muscular, with no signs of fat accumulation.

The screams, and few moans, that Bob, Ed, and B, could hear, coming from the three pregnant women, were clearly from the pain of their contractions.

It was then B, Ed, and Bob, noticed three cribs placed below the windows, on the right side of the door. With the door to the master bathroom being on the right side of the room.

Bob turned to the door, beside him, and he began banging his head, against the door, in frustration at the situation before them.

As B holstered her pistol, she requested, “Let me know when you are finished. I would like a round with that door, myself.”

Ed stated, “So, would I.”

Ed and B's voices did not go noticed from the expectant mothers laying on their bed.

While laying on the bed, Natsuru asked, in english, “Who is there?... Oww!... Forgive us. But, right now, we are unable to lean up, and see who you are... Oww!”

By then, Bob stopped banging his head against the door, and he looked over at the expectant mothers.

Bob thought, in disbelief, 'This is just one of those days that I should have stayed in bed. I would have preferred to have caught these three in the middle of love making... The beating I would have suffered would have only been physical, compared to the brain bleach situation before us.'

'How the hell do I keep ending up in these weird situations? I am starting to think that these reality devices are partly like Avalon, from the Gargoyle's series. These reality devices do not just send us where we want to go, they send us where we need to be.'

Bob turned to B, as he stated, “I blame you for this.”

B turned to Bob, as she replied, “I promise to try not to tempt fate, again.”

Ed said, “Lesson learned. Now, let us figure out what to do about the problem at hand.”

The three friends turned back towards the three pregnant women on the bed.

Bob stated, in english, “It is Bob, Ed, and B. Do I even want to ask how you three ended up in this situation?”

Akira said, in english, “Bob! Ed! B! Glad you are here! This is not how we planned it.”

Ed questioned, “Planned what?”

Ranma answered, in english, “We decided to become parents. And after hearing how well being pregnant together went with the Lagoon crew, we decided to become mothers, together, as well.”

Bob thought, 'I vaguely remember Revy mentioning that...' He winced, as he remembered that discuss that Revy gave to Shenhua and Sawyer, with Bob being present. He continued his thoughts, 'Damn it. I was finally able to repress the memory of that discussion. And now I remember it.'

Akira stated, “We planned to help deliver each others babies. We did not plan to go into labor at the same time... Ouch!...” She gritted her teeth, as a contraction hit. A second later, as the contraction passed, she complained, “Why do the contractions have to hurt so much?”

Ranma said, “We honestly thought it was indigestion from the food we ate last night, and not contractions. It wasn't until this morning, when all our waters broke, that we realized we were all giving birth together, at that same time. That was when we realized our mistake. We don't have any ID cards for our female forms. And it is all be unheard of for three women, at the same place, and time, to give birth at the same time. If we called for help, to many questions would be asked.”

Natsuru commented, “This is not how it happened with Rock and the others. They told us they went into labor at different times. Rock and Revy had their children a few days apart. As did Janet and Benny, with their kids, a month before Revy and Rock gave birth to their children. With Dutch giving birth months before Janet and Benny.”

Bob pointed out, with annoyance in his voice, “And they likely hired doctors and medical staff.”

Akira conceded, “That is true. That was an oversight on our part.”

Bob stated, in the same annoyed tone of voice, as before, “And a possibly deadly oversight if any of you have complications, during birth. None of you clearly in any shape to help each other. And unlike the Lagoon crew... Well, Lagoon family. You three are trouble magnets. Murphy has made all three of you her personal bitches, for most of your lives. You should have seen this coming a mile away.”

B whispered to Bob, “You think Murphy, in Murphy's Law is a woman?”

Bob softly replied, “Do you know any in man that has such a twisted, wicked sense of humor as Murphy does?”

B quietly responded, “Good point.”

Natsuru admitted, “Bob, you're right. But, there is not much was can do about it, now. Still, we could use your help.”

Bob replied, “Don't worry. We are going to help you.”

Ranma said, “Thank you.” She then moaned in pain, as another contraction hit.

Ed asked, “Why have you not called for ambulances, and gone to a hospital?”

Akira admitted, “Because we did something stupid.”

B quipped, “Besides getting pregnant without a proper birth plan?”

Akira stated, “Yes. It is like Ranma said. We forgot we do not have ID cards for our female forms. We forgot that our national ID cards are registered as male. If we go there, it will raise too many questions for us. And we are kind of worried about traveling the multiverse, while in labor. An ill timed contraction could mess up where we planned to go.”

Ed conceded, “That is a good point.”

Next to Ed, Bob just rolled his eyes, in frustration at Akira's comment. A few seconds later, he looked back at the three, semi-nude women in front of him, as he inquired, “Just to know. Have you actually had medical check ups on yourselves, and your babies, during your pregnancies? Or, are we flying as blind, as I wish I was, right now?”

Natsuru answered, “Yes. Ranma knew a doctor that would give us check ups without asking to many questions. And except for going into labor at the same time, we, and our children are fine.”

Bob said, “Good.”

Ranma stated, “We went to a doctor that I am friends with.”

Bob questioned, “Doctor Tofu Ono?”

Ranma answered, “Yes. And he is no longer goes crazy over, Kasumi, after they got married and she gave him a few kids.”

Bob replied, “Interesting... Okay, here is the plan.” He turned to B, as he continued, “B, go downstairs, find a phone. Dial one, one, nine. That will get you to the emergency line for fire and ambulance. Have them trace back the call to here, and get them to bring three ambulances, for three pregnant women, whom are all in labor. Make sure you tell them that the mothers are unharmed, though in labor.”

B nodded, as she replied, “I understand.” She then left the room, to head downstairs.

Ranma asked, “How did you know the right number?”

Bob turned to look at the three pregnant women, on the bed, as he stated, “Because I am a anime otaku. It is one of the things I learned off the internet.” He then turned to Ed, “Ed, go down stairs, to their computer. I want you to create a set of female identities for each of them. The IDs do not have to perfect. I know you don't have time for that. Get some new female IDs for them that are passable. Do it as quickly as possible. Also, get with B, to find out how long you have, to make sure you don't run out of time.”

Ed replied, “On it.” She then exited the room, to head downstairs to the living room computer.

Bob then walked into the master bathroom attached to the bedroom. The door was left open.

Natsuru asked, “What are you doing, Bob?”

Bob stopped in his tracks. He did not look at them, as he stated, “Helping you. I will be back in a minute.” He then walked into the master bathroom. As he did so, he flipped on a light switch.

Less than a minute later, Bob walked out with a bathroom, carrying a stack of several large, folded towels. He set the towels on a nearby nightstand, as he turned towards the three women on the bed.

Bob said, “Well, Natsuru. To answer your question. Given your conditions, someone had to watch, and help you. And the process of elimination is that it is going to be me. I think we all agree that as nice as Ed is, she is still crazy, and you do not want a crazy person watching over you, when you are like this.”

Natsuru said, “I agree.”

Akira stated, “Absolutely not her.”

Ranma agreed, “No arguments there.” She then moaned in pain as a contraction hit.

Bob commented, “And though, at an instinctual level, being a woman does not bother, B. I can tell that at the conscious level, being a woman still bothers her, a little. And I do not want to remind her of what she may someday faces as a woman. If she is not psychologically ready for it.”

Natsuru replied, “You are very kind, Bob... Oww!” She place her hands over her lower belly, as she worked through another contraction.

Bob stated, “And, I have not mentioned this to anyone. And did not tell others that I told you this. But, due to puberty and the internet, I got into some really sick stuff for a while there. Anyway, I also read up on several medical articles on childbirth. Don't ask why. Just, please don't ask why. Still, though I am by no means an expert on the subject. But, I am all you got, until the professionals show up.”

Akira responded, “At this point, we don't care. We have probably done worse than you have seen.”

Bob replied, “I will take your word on that. I take it that the labor has exhausted all three of you?”

Akira, Natsuru, and Ranma said, in unison, “Yes.”

Ranma commented, “I hate being weak like this.”

Natsuru said, “The contractions have been taxing, for even my enhanced endurance.”

Akira stated, “You two are lucky. I just have the average strength and stamina.”

Bob grimly thought, 'This going down hill fast. I need to stop them from getting into a labor induced argument.'

Bob stated, in a firm tone of voice, “Hold it. An argument is the last thing any of you want. I know you are all tried, and in pain. Please, just take a few deep breaths, and try to work through the pain.”

The three women were quiet for a few seconds. Akira then said, “Thank you, Bob.”

Bob grabbed one of the towels, as he stated, “Okay. I want you to lift up your butts, so I can unfold and put some of these towels under them. In case any of you have an accident. You haven't had one? Have you?

Akira, “No. So, far we have been able to make it to the bathroom in time. But, we are getting more tired, and that might change.”

Bob reassured them, “Don't worry. We will deal with that in a few minutes.”

The three women then lifted their lower bodies up with their feet and hands. A minutes later, Bob got three towels under them, with them lowering the women lowering their bodies back down.

After Bob finished, he said, “I hope that is much better.”

Natsuru smiled, as she replied, “It is.”

Bob asked, “So, have you thought of names for your children? And are they girls, or boys? Or, are you having twins? Or more?”

Natsuru answered for the trio, “”Yes. We have names. We are each having one child. And they are all girls. At least they are girls, right now. Given what we are, you can never be sure. My daughter's name with be, Mikoto.”

Bob commented, “Nice name. And it figures you would name her after your childhood friend. Let me guess on the other two names. Akira, you are going to name you daughter, Yurika, after you former girlfriend. And Ranma, you plan to name your daughter, Nodoka, after your mother.”

Ranma cracked a grin, as she stated, “Yep. You got in it in one.”

Akira said, “You know us way too well, Bob.”

Bob admitted, “Yes. I do. I think all three of the names are nice.”

Ranma said, “Thank you.”

Just then, B walked into the room, with her hand covering the microphone to the cordless phone. She stated, “Those on the phone have traced the connection back to this location. And they are sending three ambulances here. They should be here in forty minutes.”

Bob turned to B, as he responded, “Good. Please inform Ed of our time table, and do not let those on the phone overhear you. Then, stay downstairs to listen out for the ambulances. Let us hope Ed doesn't run late. As sick as it sounds, if she does run late, you may have to stall them, for a few minutes.”

B nodded, as she replied, “I agree.” She then went back downstairs to inform Ed.

Bob turned to the women in labor, as he said, with a look of pity on his face, “Now, I know this embarrassing. But, I have to ask this. Do any of you need to use the restroom? If so, I will help you each get up, to the toilet, and then back to your bed.”

Ranma stated, “Yes. I got to pee.”

Natsuru commented, “Same here. Why does pregnancy have to make a woman pee so often?”

Akira responded, “I have to go both ways.”

Bob let out a deep breath. He then said, “Okay. We will do this one at a time. I am sorry, Akira. But, you are going to have to be last, because you are going to take the longest. Can you hold it for about five minutes?”

Akira replied, “Yes. And I understand.”

Bob said, “Good. Okay, Ranma. Since you are on the edge off the bed, we will go with you first. Natsuru, after I help Ranma up, start making your way to the edge of the bed, where Ranma is. I will then help you up, as Ranma gets back onto the bed. Ranma, as I take care of Natsuru, move to the center of the bed. Akira, after I help Natsuru back to bed, beside Ranma, I will come to the other side of the bed, and help you.”

Bob then walked over to the left side of the bed, and he helped Ranma sit up, and stand. Bob stood to Ranma's right side, as he then let Ranma use her hands to put her weight on his arms, as they slowly walked to the master bathroom.

As Bob did this, he thought, 'I am so happy that these three women use western style toilets in their home. If it was an eastern type, floor toilet, I would have to help them down, to do a squat. And then help them back up. And I am sure none of us want to do that. Also, I made sure the toilet seat was down.'

Ranma said, “Bob, you need not worry. I know the cliche of a woman in labor clinching her fists. I am not going to hurt you arms.”

Bob replied, “Thank you.”

As Bob helped Ranma to the toilet, he thought, 'Forty minutes. That is not a lot of time. And all their contractions are still a few minutes apart. I doubt any of them will give birth before the ambulances get here. At least, I hope the case.'

Ten minutes later, Bob was able to help all three of the pregnant women to the master bathroom, and back to bed, without any trouble.

Then, it became a waiting game, as Bob hoped help would get the women, in time. Before any of them had their children.

(_)

Within the next thirty minutes, Bob had to help all three women deliver their baby girls, and the afterbirth.

Bob was able to find some string to tie of the umbilical cords at two places each. And he used his knife to cut the cords eight inches from the babies' belly buttons. With the afterbirth in a trash bag, in a corner of the floor, in the bedroom.

All three babies were each wrapped in a towel, with them being held by their mothers, against the mothers chests, as they sat up against headboard of their bed.

The babies were asleep, but the mothers were not. Though, they were very tired from the labor and birth.

Ranma was the first to give birth. Her daughter, Nodoka, had purple hair.

Akira was the second one to give birth. Her daughter, Yurika, had green hair.

Natsuru was the last to give birth. Her daughter, Mikoto, had blue hair, with black highlights.

Bob just stood to the right side of the room, as looked at them. While he looked at them, he tried very hard to keep his sanity and nerves together.

Bob silently reflected, 'I am so happy that is over. But, I now have to ask them some questions. And I am not sure they are up to answering these questions.'

Just then, Ed came into the room.

Bob turned to look at Ed, and he saw that Ed had some small pieces of paper in her right hand.

Ed was silent as she looked at three mothers, on the bed, as they held their three newborn babies.

Bob did not recognize the look on Ed's face, and that worried him. Ed's facial expression was one of thinking. Not of worry, nor envy. Just thinking.

Bob then coughed, to get Ed's attention.

Ed came out of her trance, as she turned to Bob. She stated, “I have the ID information. It should work.”

The three new mothers looked over at Ed, as Ranma said, “Thank you, Ed.”

Ed walked over to the bed, and with her left hand, Ed sorted out the pieces of paper, to figure out which papers went with which new mother.

Ed said, “Here are each of your ID numbers.”

Ed then handed a specific piece of paper to each mother.

All three of the mothers, used the hand they were not holding their daughters in, to grip their piece of paper, and stuff it inside the top part of their bras cups.

Bob requested, “Ed, could you go downstairs and wait for the EMTs with B. I have some things to discuss with these women, in private.”

Ed turned to Bob, as she replied, “Okay.” She then left the room, and went back downstairs.

As soon as Ed was gone from the room, Bob looked over at Akira. He calmly stated, “Akira, there is a reason I came here today.”

The three mother turned to look at Bob.

Akira casually replied, “We already guessed that. What is it?”

Bob stated, “I need information from you. Though, it is important. I will understand if you are too tired to talk, right now.”

Akira offered, “Go ahead. We owe you for your, Ed, and B's help. So, ask away.”

Natsuru stated, “Yea. We are not that tired.”

Ranma said, “You just played midwife for us, and from the look on your face, you did not want to even be here, from the start. You have been a great help. So, let us help you. Tell us what is wrong.”

Bob responded, “I am sure you remember that plague incident, on the planet, Oriotera. Well, I seems the virus was not completely flushed from my body. The good news is that I am not contagious, and that Ed, and B have not been infected.”

“But, my DNA also mutated from have the gender trigger be water temperature, to being changed to changing genders with a sneeze. And due to a complete fluke of an accident, Mal has been infected with the virus. As is the rest of the crew of the Serenity. Though, only Mal can currently change genders with a sneeze, just like you, Akira. And the ship is in space, under quarantine, by Doctor Simon Tam.”

Akira asked, with interest in her tone of voice, “Really? So, the Serenity crew has a virus that is originally based off of Ranma's gender curse, but due to your DNA, which is like mine, the change caused by the virus now works like our abilities? No wonder you came to see me.”

Bob responded, “Yes. This is a mutated virus.”

Natsuru inquired, “Has the virus spread beyond their spaceship?”

Bob answered, “Simon stated that he is fairly sure that the virus has not spread beyond the Serenity. And given that Simon is a medical genius. I will take him at his word on this.”

Natsuru replied, “That is a relief.”

Bob commented, “In so many ways.”

Ranma asked, “Is this mutated virus as contagious as the original virus.”

Bob answered, “Simon says, no. That in a few weeks, to a month, they should be over the contagious part of the virus. And even the original virus did not live long on dry surfaces. If that is not the case. And the virus is still contagious, a month from now. I have resources, I can call upon, to help them. But, I don't to ask for that help, unless I have to.”

Ranma complimented, “That is a good idea.”

Akira inquired, “So, Simon just wanted the virus to run its course.”

Bob replied, “I believe so.”

Akira said, “That is interesting.”

Natsuru commented, “Well, at least we know the situation is not that series. Though, this must be one hell of a day for you.”

Bob said, “Yes, it has. And I am still trying to find the bright side to it.”

The women giggled, as they held their daughters closer to their chests.

Bob stated, “Now, to help the crew of the Serenity, Simon needs some questions answered... And as a guy, I hate to ask these questions.”

Natsuru offered, “Go ahead, we were all originally guys. Though, to say we are now still men, after just giving birth, and holding our babies, would be a lie. Still, we do understand your situation.”

Bob saw Akira and Ranma nodding in agreement.

Bob said, “Thank you. First, I need to know how the gender change affects the personality? Does the gender change effect gender identity, and sexual attraction? Also, what are the danger of pregnancy, given the gender change? Along with that, how does the gender changing effect fertility for both genders?”

“And, the one question that I am most unconformable asking, how does the change back and forth effect the monthly cycle of their periods, while a woman? I vaguely remember you mentioning a lot of this during our fight at the docks, years ago. But, I just don't remember the conversation, we had back then, very clearly.”

Akira complimented, “No problem. Those are all good questions. First, as I said then, the brain is rewired with the gender change. Men and women's brains are wired differently. That is a medical fact. So, it stands to reason that when we were physically changed into women, that our brains were changed to the brains of women, as well.”

“The three of us found this out too late. We stayed female too long, and our gender identity switched from male to female. That is why we prefer to live as women. We do not consider this a horrible fate. It is just one of those things that happens, and life moves on.”

“We have also found that for others that switch back a forth, their gender identity can become fluid. But, for those that stay in their original gender, for the most part, will retain their original gender identities.”

Bob said, “Okay. I can see where you are going with this. Don't play with fire, you won't get burned.”

Akira replied, “Exactly. So Bob, if you gain your gender abilities, if you stay a man, at least for most of the time, you will remain male in your mind, as well.”

Bob inquired, “And how can you be sure I haven't change already?”

The three women giggled.

As the three mothers calmed down, Natsuru stated, “The beard. When we change, as female, we do not have body hair hair, as normal human females do. And we lose all facial hair. The only hair we have are on the top of our heads, on our crotch, and genitalia. And if we shave the hair down there, it stays shaved as men.”

“When we change back into men, we get our body hair back, but it takes several days, to a week, for the facial hair follicles to even break the skin. And it is next to impossible to stay a man long enough to grow a beard that long. And all it take is one change to cause the beard hairs to fall out. And then we gender benders would have to start over, from the beginning.”

Bob thought, 'So, when it comes to facial hair, their situation is just like on that plague world. Changing back and forth, prevents someone from using their male form to grow a beard. Jayne is not going to be happy about losing his goatee, but there is not much I can do about it.'

Bob said, “Well then, that is just another reason to remain a man.”

The three women said, in unison, “Good luck.”

Akira stated, “Though, on the matter of sexual attraction. We usually keep our original attraction to the gender we original became sexually arousal towards, during puberty. But, sometimes we become bi-sexual. Or, we just become bi-curious, and take advantage of our abilities.”

Bob stated, “On the plague world, I was told that most people just became bi-curious. And I can understand why.”

Akira complimented, “Though, it is clear you wish to remain male, Bob. It is nice that you have an open mind when it comes to the wishes of others. Now, on to the next question. As you surely noticed, all three of us make it through our pregnancies without any serious problems.”

“Should a gender bender remain a woman, and get pregnant, her gender locks as female for the durations of the pregnancy, until birth. It does matter if it is our original gender or now. I found that out with myself, during this pregnancy, and my sister, Kaori, with her pregnancies. I could probably change, right now. But, I don't feel like it. And I really do not want to find out if milk will leak out of my breasts if I change into guy.”

Ranma and Natsuru giggled.

As Ranma and Natsuru calmed down, Ranma suggested, “I think we will wait until our daughters are finished breast feeding, before we start changing back and forth, in our genders.”

Natsuru stated, “I can go along with that. Even if I have to experience a few monthly periods.”

Akira agreed, “Good idea. And speaking of that time of the month. On the issue of gender change and a woman's monthly periods. For Natsuru and I, every time we change back and forth, when we become a woman, our monthly cycle is reset to right after a woman would have just ended her period. We would have to stay women for around three weeks, before we would have to worry about having a period. As for Ranma... I will let her tell you, about how she deals with that matter.”

Ranma commented, “Yes. My monthly cycle is different from Natsuru and Akira. Since this also deals with my curse, there is one difference with monthly periods. Changing back and forth as a guy does not reset my period. Being a man just delays my monthly cycle as a woman. When I change back into a woman, the cycle just continues marching forward, right were it left off when I was a man.”

“When it was time for my period, I just stayed a woman for that time, to get it over with. And because of this, I had to be careful of when my cycle was, to when I swapped genders during sex, or I would could accidentally end up pregnant.”

Bob thought, 'Now, that is a worrisome thought. And please lord, let them have Akira's ability on this. Because, then I bet the women on board the Serenity are going to be very happy to hear about this.'

'That means that over half the crew, including River, will not be after me. That leaves Simon, Jayne, and Mal. Simon understands it is an accident. I believe with me being Jayne's drinking buddy, which I hope I still am, that he will give me the benefit of the doubt. That leaves Mal. Though, the others will keep him from going after me.'

'This day is finally starting to look up.'

Bob replied, “I heard that accidental self-impregnation was an issue on the plague world. Though, people were just careful. Also, birth control pills do not work for gender benders.”

Ranma responded, “Yea. That is what I guessed. It is not fun worrying about masturbation causing accidental pregnancy of one's self. That is why, when I swap back and forth, while intimate, I end with myself being a guy. And even if a gender bender is with someone, and using a condom, that gender bender can still get themselves accidentally pregnant, like Birdy.”

Natsuru spoke up, “Yea, Bob. Violin is Birdy and Tsutomu's daughter.”

Bob thought, 'Okay. That explains how Violin came into being. At least, part of it. Though, according to Nataru, Violin is a few years older than she should be. That is another mystery. Though, a mystery for another day. Besides, I have other more immediate questions.'

Bob replied, “Okay. I am not going to judge. And I remember Revy mentioning something about that. In dealing with instant man packets. When we talked to her, right before B was changed into a women.”

Akira said, “That is not surprising. So, how is B dealing with the change, and said related problems, with being a woman?”

Bob answered, “It was a bit difficult on B, two months after the change, during her first time with that problem. But, Ed was there to help her through it. She was quickly able to handle the situation, and life moved on.”

Akira responded, “Glad to hear it. This goes along with fertility. For Natsuru and I, to get pregnant, we had to stay women for a few weeks, until we ovulated, and were ready to be impregnated with sperm. We timed our change to Ranma's monthly cycle, when she was ovulating, so we would all be able to get pregnant, at the same time. Given our time issues, we used frozen sperm samples from each of us to get pregnant.”

“We had been talking about having children, from each other, off and on, for a few years. And then we heard what Rock and her family did. And they turned out well. We decided doing the same thing.”

Bob pointed out, “Having children can be expensive?”

Akira stated, “Yes. It is can. Though, money is not an issue with us. From her investments, Ranma is loaded with money. So, money is not an issue. By the way, this home is hers.”

Bob raised an eyebrow, as he asked, “So, which one of you are the father to which child? Or, you did not mix the sperm of two of you, together, for the third, whom was going to be the mother?

Akira answered, “No. We did not mix our sperm. We wanted specific hair colors. And we wanted our children to be powerful. We found out that the children of Kampfers can inherit powers from their Kampfer parent. It did not matter if the Kampfer is the mother, or father. Though, the powers of the children may different from the Kampfer parent.”

“And my abilities are inherited, as well. So, Natsuru is the father of my child. I am the father of Natsuru's child. And Natsuru is the father of Ranma's child.”

Ranma stated, “I admit to not being crazy about not be a father in this formula. But, I approve of the logic behind it. I want our children to be strong. And this way, all three of them are blood related.”

Bob shrugged, as he replied, “Whatever works for you.”

Akira responded, “There is one other matter about our abilities, that you need to know. This also applies for Natsuru, but not Ranma. Due to the fact that our opposite gender form age much more slowly than our original gender form, eventually, as a survival trait, in our sixties, or seventies, our bodies will lock us in our opposite gender, to keep us from dying of old age, in our original gender forms.”

“For those of us that are born male, we will eventually lock as female. And those of us born female, are eventually locked as male. Which, I guess, is not surprising, considering we are descended from Shimeru alien species. And those born male of that alien species become mothers, and those born female, become fathers... For the most part.”

Ranma and Natsuru giggled, as the three women shared a private joke.

Akira continued, “Honestly, I find this a good tradeoff. Because, we will get to be healthy and young for a very long time. Though, we will eventually have to deal with monthly periods, but if Ranma can handle it, so can Natsuru and I.”

“Though, my sister, Kaori, was not happy when I finally told her this matter. She gained her gender bending abilities from being struck by lightning. Don't worry. The lightning strike did not seriously harm her. She is alright.'

'And fortunately, while she was upset with the situation of her evening lock in her male form, she was not that upset with me either, because I was not at fault for her gender change. Actually, I helped her out a bit when she first changed, and she was grateful for the advice I gave her.”

“Though, when she learned about this impending lock, decades in her future, she did not waste any time having children. She had already met a man, whom is very understanding of her abilities. And she has since given birth to two healthy children, and she is happy at the moment.”

Bob thought, 'While, this is interesting information to know. Akira should not know this information. Because none of them are old enough to find about this lock, yet. As such, I need to know where Akira got this information form.'

Bob inquired, “Not to disagree with you. But, are you sure about the gender locking. None of you are old enough to have that happen to you.”

Akira said, “That is a fair point. We know about Natsuru's locking because Kampfer bracelets were Federation technology, and Birdy looked them up, and told her about that locking mechanism. And Natsuru told us.”

Natsuru mentioned, “At the time, Birdy did offer to take my bracelet off. Leaving me a normal man. Though, I declined her offer, for several reasons.”

Bob said, “Of course. You can better health and longevity with your female form.”

Natsuru replied, “Yes. Among other reasons. Including, what we just went through.”

Bob stated, “It is your life.”

Natsuru commented, “Thank you.” Natsuru turned to Akira, as she requested, “Akira, please continue.”

Akira turned to Natsuru, as she said, “I would love to.” Akira looked over at Bob, as she went onto say, “On learning about the biological locking mechanism for myself, and my sister. I know the locking is a fact, because I met an alternate future counterpart of mine that was in her eighties. Physically, as a woman, she barely looks a year, or two older than what I look like now. She told me all of this. And so far, everything checks out. The name she went by, when I met her, was Hanna Solas.”

Bob thought, 'Hanna?!... That is who Hanna is?... I think I met her in the Ghost In the Shell Stand Alone Complex reality. Well, she seemed happy enough with her husband and children. And I might as well not mention her to them. Still, this is bad. If this is the case. The Serenity crew will hound me to the ends of the multiverse to get me.'

Akira stated, “Though, considering the Serenity crew's changes are from a virus, this might not be the case for them. Did you see Mal change into a woman?”

Bob answered, “Yes. She appeared to be the same age as Mal's male form.” Bob mentally added, with a sense of humor, 'Mal's male form... Say that three times fast.'

Akira stated, “Then, if the ages are the same, neither of their forms will likely lock. Also, I seem to remember that those of the Firefly Verse naturally age slowing than humans here.”

Bob remembered an event in his past with the Serenity crew. When he had a meal with them, on their ship. He commented, “Yes. That is true.”

Bob mentally reflected, 'I might not die after all. Simon will likely confirm the locking, either way. If they will lock, then I will find a way to stop it. And since the Federation of this reality, Akira's, Birdy's, and mine, has already got a handle on the original virus. I am sure they can help prevent them from locking in one of their gender forms. So, I still might not be screwed, if the worse case scenario happened.'

Akira said, “So, either way, you have time.”

Bob responded, “Good point. And I will be sure to mention that to Simon. Now, onto another matter. Now, that you have all become mothers, are you three finally settling down?”

The three women instinctively held their sleeping babies closer to their chests, as they said, in unison, “No.”

Ranma explained, “When our girls grow up, to be around five or six years old, we plan to take them on an extended training tripped across the multiverse. And don't worry. While we are doing that, we will teach our children their education. Including, history, math, reading, writing, and speaking a number of languages. Such as our native language of japanese. Along with, them learning to speak, read, and write, english, chinese, and a few other languages, that we know of.”

Natsuru inquired, “And while we do so, we are going to look for a rejuvenation therapy for Ranma. So, she can state young with us. I heard that you guys found such a therapy?”

Bob stated, “Yes. The rejuvenation therapy we found reversed Ed's age to where she is now in her late-twenties. And she is in perfect health. We know that is works on both genders. And changing genders after the therapy will have the new gender's be that same physical age and healthy as the original gender. We found that out, when Ed use a packet of spring of man to pull a joke on me, once.”

The three woman laughed, for a few seconds.

Bob said, “Yea. Laugh it up. Also, we were informed that the therapy will not harm one's fertility, and the future children, of the mothers and fathers, whom had the therapy, will be healthy.”

As the three women calmed down, Ranma commented, “That is nice to know. So, why have you not the therapy?”

Bob stated, “The only reason I did not have it done to myself, was that I was worried about how my alien genes would react to the therapy.”

Natsuru agreed, “That was a wise decision, on your part, Bob.”

Bob offered, “I know. And I have no forgotten that I owe you three for helping Ed and I out of trouble with Rock and Revy. When you are ready for the therapy, just look us up. We will give you the information on where to get the treatment done, and how much it costs. The therapy is expensive, but not that expensive.”

Ranma said, “Thank you, Bob.”

Bob commented, “Still, back to your future plans, for your children. Ranma, I have seen your series. I would think, given your messed up childhood, with you father, that you would know better, than to raise your children on the road, as well.”

Ranma responded, “That is because Pops was an idiot. And there were good times during that extended training trip. Also, I will not make the same mistakes. Our children will be with us. We will love them. Care for them. And we will raise them well.”

Bob said, “Good luck. If you have any problems. Look us up. We will be more than happy to help.”

Ranma commented, “We have several friends whom are already parents. But, thank you for the offer. We may drop by, to visit you, some time.”

Bob replied, “I look forward to it.”

Suddenly, they heard someone climbing up the stairs.

Bob stated, “Well, I think your rides are here. Before we leave, we will make sure everything here is turned off, and the outside doors are locked. And good luck with the children, and your journeys. And thank you for answering my questions. See you, later.”

Akira replied, “You to, Bob.”

Natsuru stated, “We owe you for today, and we will not forget it.”

Ranma said, “And again, good luck on staying a guy. You are going to need it.”

Bob stood out of the way, by a far wall, near the door to the master bathroom, as the emergency medical technicians, EMTs, carrying stretchers, made their way into the room.

Within a few minutes, all the mothers, with their babies, were each loaded up in their own ambulance, and taken to the local hospital, in a nearby town.

Right outside the front door to Ranma, Natsuru, and Akira's home, B, Ed, and Bob watched the vehicles left, one after another. In a small convoy.

B said, “That went well. Mister Midwife.”

Bob growled for a second, second. He then replied, “Don't start. I am not in the move.”

Ed thought, 'It sounds like Bob may be a little to stressed out, after all this. And I don't blame him for being so. I better help calm him down.' She turned to Bob, as she commented, “It's okay, Bob. Given the sounds coming from upstairs, it is kind of obvious all three of them have given birth to their children.”

Bob stated, “Well, it is clear that for you two, are fine with what happen. Though, for myself, that was one of the most twisted situations of my life. Before that event happened upstairs, I knew for a fact that all three of those women were born male, and I got a very close up view that they are fully functioning females.”

Ed pointed out, “At least you were not the one giving birth.”

B giggled.

Bob turned to Ed, as he conceded, “True. Now, after we make sure everything in the house is turned off, and the outside doors are locked. We are heading back home, and giving Simon, his answers. And I pray that this goes the way I hope. And after that, I plan to get drunk at Quarks, on DS9. Want to join me?”

Ed answered, “No thank you. I do not feel like going with you. Not that I don't mind going. When you first took the both of us, to DS9, and introduced us to your friends there, Kira and I seem to hit it off well. But, there is something off about Quark.”

Bob agreed, “What isn't off about him? Though, I understand.” He turned to B, as he inquired, “And you, B.”

B looked over at Bob, as she said, “No thank you. I think I make Kira feel unconformable. I know from watching the series, she prefers men, but she clearly is attracted to me. Even as a woman.”

Bob shrugged, as he replied, “What can be said? Kira is attracted to strong, orderly individuals. And that is you, in any gender. Though, it was nice of you to explain your past to her.”

B stated, “I did not want any misunderstandings. And she said she understood. Also, I respect her enough, not to put her in an uncomfortable situation.”

Bob agreed, “Yes. Misunderstandings can be bad. Now, let's get back inside, turn everything off, and lock the doors, so we can go home.”

B and Ed nodded in agreement.

Bob then walked inside, with the two women following him into the home.

The three adults then shut off the appliances, and lights. Then, they made sure that the outside doors were locked. With them locking the front front door, behind them.

When they were done, they walked together, to an open space in the front yard of the home, near the road. And Bob used the reality device, he had, to teleport them home, back Mars, in the Cowboy Bebop Reality, just over four hours after they left their apartment home.

(_)

Cowboy Bebop Reality. Mars, Tharsis City, Bob and Ed apartment. Fours hour later, local time, after they left to see Akira, Natsuru, and Ranma.

A few seconds after B, Ed, and Bob arrived in the living room of Ed and Bob's apartment, walked to the vidphone, on a nearby table.

Meanwhile, Ed and B could tell that Bob want to make this call alone. So, they went to sit down on the couch, facing their television. They then turning it the TV. Next, they quickly found something on TV to watch.

In other part of the room, Bob set his reality device, on the table, by the vidphone. He then picked up the receiver to the vidphone, and placed it on the right side of his face. Next, he switched to an encrypted channel. After which, he called the Serenity's ship, which he knew by heart, given Jayne was his drinking buddy.

After a few rings, Daiyu came on the screen. Bob saw, in the background, that she was common area of the Serenity firefly class ship. She said, in english, “Hello... Oh it is you.”

Bob cracked a grin, as he teased, “Yes. It is me. And I see you haven't changed, yet. I bet it is going to be interesting, for you and the crew, when that happens.”

Daiyu frowned, as she flatly said, “I don't like you.”

Bob dropped his smirk, as he replied, in a calm, even tone of voice, “I am not that crazy about you, either. Anyway, please put Doctor Tam on the phone. I have the answers he wanted.”

Daiyu responded, “It will be a few seconds.” She then walked away from the screen.

Less than half a minute later, the screen changed to Simon, with the infirmary in the background. He had the receiver of his vidphone to the right side of his face.

Simon said, “Hello Bob.”

Bob greeted, “Hi Simon.”

Simon inquired, “I take it you have good news?”

Bob answered, “Yes. I have the answers you wanted.”

Simon replied, “I am glad to hear it.”

Bob stated, “First, tell Jayne that he has my sympathies. But, he is going to lose his goatee. Even if a gender bender remains a man for a number of days, changing genders back and forth destroys the facial hair follicles to where a the facial hairs will not even break the skin for several days, to a week.”

Simon said, in a sarcastic tone of voice, “I am sure the fact he will no longer have to shave his face every single day, will ease his pain.”

Bob cracked a grin, as he replied, “True.”

Simon requested, “What else do you have to tell us?”

Bob said, “Plenty. Let us start with personality questions. I have confirmed that, for individuals, there personality differences between gender forms. Besides the obvious ones due to hormonal changes. But, they are extremely subtle. This was confirmed by Akira, Ranma, and Natsuru.”

“It seems... And it makes sense... That when the gender change happens, it is complete change, right down the hardwiring of the brain. To where the subconscious is the new gender as well. The brain flags the same gender as the physical gender the person has changed to.”

“Even though, at the conscious level, the gender changer is still their original gender in mind. You need to be real careful when one of you spends time in the other gender. Or, your gender identity might switch. Akira, Ranma, and Natsuru only realized this too late. Over time, their gender identity switched from male, to female, and that is why they now live as women.”

“Also, when it comes to sexual attraction, the attraction either stays the same, or the gender bender becomes bi-sexual. Though, the gender bender will likely be bi-curious, no matter what.”

Simon nodded, as he responded, “That makes sense. And I will make sure to warn everyone about the dangers of gender bending, to their personalities.”

Bob let out a deep breath, as he thought, 'I hate even thinking about this. Let alone talking about it. Though, I might as well get it over with.'

Bob stated, “On the monthly period matter. It depends on if the virus is using Ranma's water curse as a basis, or Akira's abilities. For Ranma, the cycle is only temporally stopped while male, but it continues forwards once Ranma turned back into a woman.”

“On the other hand, when Akira changes back and forth, it completely resets her monthly cycle to when she is female, her monthly cycle is at right after it would be if she had just finished her period. I honestly don't know which system will apply to you. I am praying for Akira's way, for all of you. But, it could go either way.”

Simon smiled, as he said, “Well, I think you need to relax. I took some blood samples from Mal as female, and they that correspond with Akira's type. So, the cycle resets.”

Bob questioned, “Are you sure? It could be just a case of the reproductive organs just gearing up and running. For example, it takes two months, those that are change from men to women, with the vat process, for them to start experiencing their periods.”

Simon replied, “Yes. I am sure. Though, that is interesting to know. This is why we needed you to wait four hours to call me. Through blood samples, I can measure a woman's monthly hormonal cycle down to the hour. I took some blood, when Mal originally became a woman. Then, I had Mal stay a woman for the next four hours.”

Bob commented, “I bet that was fun time for you, being with her.”

Simon responded, “Not really. The only problem was, that I learned after that fact. That Mal needed some advice from Inara on what muscles to work to urinate. That was embarrassing for Mal, but understandable. Anyway, at the end of the four hours. I took blood from her again. Then, I had Mal sneeze again. Turning back into a guy. Wait one minute. Then, I had Mal sneeze a third time, changing into a woman. And I took a third blood sample.”

“I had just finished the tests, right before you called. And they confirm what you said. The first and third samples were identical, on the hormonal levels. The numbers between the two were exact. But, the hormonal levels for Mal, after spending four hours as female were different from the first and third blood samples. The second blood sample was just slightly further along on her monthly cycle. So, for us, the cycle will reset every time we change back and forth.”

Bob stated, “That is a relief for everyone.”

Simon replied, “I fully agree.”

Bob asked, “So, where is Mal now?”

Simon answered, “He is a currently male, and he is in the common area. He is trying very hard to forget the last four hours of his life, as he watches some TV.”

Bob commented, “I wish him luck on that. And I am sure the women on board will be happy to hear this news.”

Simon said, “I am sure they will.”

Bob stated, “Since that is the case. Fertility issues are real simple. I know for a fact that as male, Akira can father children. And for Akira to get pregnant, she would have to remain female for a few weeks, until she ovulated, and could become impregnated.”

“So, none of you have to worry about accidentally become pregnant, by changing back and forth. Which was an issue, on the plague world, the original gender bending virus came from. Because the monthly cycle continues for those with Ranma's ability, there were cases of accidentally impregnation when people there swapped genders while having sex. There were even cases of self-impregnation, from swapping back and forth during masturbation.”

Simon responded, “Interesting. Still, this is more good news, which I can give the crew.”

Bob replied, “Yes. It is.” Bob then said, in a more serious tone of voice, “There is one other matter. And if this is the case, I promise you, I will find a cure for you and the crew, before it becomes an issue for any of you.”

“The is one other thing about Akira's abilities that you need to know about. Due to the clash of genetics of being descended from two different alien species, along with being mostly human, her female form ages much more slowly than her original male gender form.”

“Because of this, she learned from her alternate future counterpart, that when Akira reaches her sixties, to seventies... This is much older for us, compared to you in the verse. So, you have more time, if this is the case... Her body will lock as female, as a survival instinct, because if she turned back into a man then, she will die of old age related health problems.”

Simon continued to smile, as he responded, in a joyful tone of voice, “Bob, I appreciate your diligence. But, I do not think that will be an issue. I also compared blood samples of Mal's blood from both gender forms, and compared the cells. They were the same age.”

“Also, as you saw earlier, Mal's two forms look the same age. And finally, it seems the virus slows the age of both Mal's forms. More so, than our natural lifespans. So, I doubt we will have to worry about locking at all. And if this does becoming an issue, it will no effect us for a very, very long time.”

Bob visibly relaxed, as he inquired, “That is a huge burden off my shoulders. By the way, do you know if anyone plans on killing me over this virus outbreak?”

Simon said, “Except for, Mal. No. And we will keep Mal from doing so. After the girls learn about what you told me, I can guarantee you that. And they might even thank you for this virus.”

Bob grinned, as he replied, “I appreciate that. Please, keep me informed of what is going on.”

Simon said, “I will.”

Bob offered, “If you need anything brought to your ship. Let me know. I will take care of it.”

Simon complimented, “Thanks for the offer, Bob. But, I think we are good for right now.”

Bob said, “Okay. And please let Jayne know that when your quarantine is over, I still hope I can be his friend, and drinking buddies with him.”

Simon pointed out, “I think there is strong possibility that he will maintain his friendship with you. In our recent discussion about you, and this virus. He defended you. And he doesn't have that many friends to begin with.”

Bob commented, “I know. And I like being his friend. Once I got to know him, I found him to be a pretty good guy.”

Simon mentioned, “After I settled some issues with him. I have come to learn that, as well.”

Bob stated, “Well, I will see you later.”

Simon said, “Same here.”

Bob then hung up on Simon, and he place the receiver back on the hook to the vidphone.

Bob then turned to Ed and B, as he stated, “Okay. The call to Simon is taken care of. Last call for Quarks.”

They women turned to look at him.

B said, “Have fun.”

Ed stated, “I feel that it is too early for drinking.”

Bob responded, “That is your opinion. I should be back in a few minutes. And on second thought, I will try not to get drunk. I just want to mellow out a bit.”

Ed smiled, as she said, “That is much better. And we appreciate that.”

Both women when back to watching TV.

Bob then picked up the reality device, from the table, by the vidphone. He thought of Deep Space Nine, in his personal quarters, a few months after he had last been there, and he pushed the red button on the device. Bob then vanished, as he jumped realities.

(_)

Star Trek Reality. Deep Space Nine. Bob's personal quarters. Around three months after he had last been there. It was around the middle of the afternoon, local time.

As Bob saw that he was in personal quarters, on the station, he put his reality device in his front, left pants poke. He noticed that lighting was at the dim setting he usually had it set on.

Bob walked over to a his dresser, and he opened a drawer. He pulled out a couple of small bars of gold pressed latium with his right hand. He put them in his front right pants pocket, as he closed the drawer with his left hand.

Bob then walked to the intercom, and he punched the button. He said, “Ops. Please inform Commander Nerys, that this is Bob. I have nothing to report. I have just come here to get a few drinks at Quarks. Thank you.”

Bob did not wait for a reply, as he walked to through his quarters, to the exit to the hallway. He stood in front of the door, as he said, “Open.” The door slid open, he walked through, with the door sliding closed behind him.

A few seconds later, a reply came from the intercom, “Commander Nerys wants to speak to you immediately, Bob.”

(_)

A few minutes later, Bob walked into Quarks, from the front, bottom floor, entrance of the promenade.

As Bob walked to his usual place at the bar counter, he saw his seat was empty. Also, he saw that Quark was manning the bar counter, from behind the counter. And Morn was in his usual seat, at the bar counter.

Along with this, Bob noticed that the seats at the tables were packs with customers, with employees serving them. All of the customers were looking at the large view screen that Quark had installed at the top of the main entrance to his bar.

Bob didn't turn around to see what they were looking at. He thought, 'I really don't care what sports they are watching. After the day I have had, I just want a drink.'

A few seconds after Bob sat down in his seat, Quark came to walk up to stand across the counter from him.

The two men looked at each for a few seconds.

Quark then smiled, as he said, “Bob. You're back.”

Bob replied, “Yes. I am back.”

Quark commented, “And you look... Older.”

Bob answered, in a casual tone of voice, “That is because I am. It has a been a few years for me, Quark. Since we last met each other. But, they have been good years.”

Quark smiled, as he said, “I bet you had fun. Considering you travel with that the redhead and brunette you introduced me too.”

Bob explained, “The redhead, Ed. She is my girlfriend. And trust me, you do not want to get involved B, the brunette. Trying to court her is like trying to date a Klingon woman. The romance is going to be painful, no matter how much fun and pleasure you have. And I am not just talking about her. I am also talking about her friends.”

Quark lips curled into a wicked grin, as he said, “Been there. Done that. I survived the duel, and the divorce.”

Bob thought, 'And that was one cool DS9 episode.'

Bob looked down at the counter, as he requested, in a tired tone of voice, “Look. I have had a long, strange day. And I am not really in the mood to talk. Just please get me some Wild Turkey, and a glass.”

Quark replied, “Sure.” He then dropped his smile, as he continued, in a more serious tone of voice, “Though, I guess you haven't heard?”

Quark's comment caught Bob's attention. He looked at Quark, to see that the bartender was no longer smiling. Bob asked, “Heard what?”

Quark carefully said, “I want you to know that I don't blame you for this. And that everyone I have talked to, whom knows about your connection to this, does not blame you, either.”

Bob flatly asked, “Blame me for what?”

Quark used his right hand to point at the screen to the large view screen, above the entrance of his bar. He said, “They are about to repeat the story.” He then dropped his right hand back to his side.

Bob turned to look at the screen. As the news story started, bar quieted down. On the screen, Bob saw a Jake Sisko, as a young adult, in a dark colored, formal, Federation style, business suit.

Bob could tell from the background that Jake was in a room, in a spaceship. Behind him was a large window, which showed out into space, while also showing the surface of a planet the ship he was in, was in orbit over.

The speakers in the bar allowed everyone there to hear every word Jake said, as the journalist began his report, in a calm, even tone of voice, “This correspondent, Jake Sisko, of the Federation News Service, reporting from the U.S.S. Blazer, in orbit of the quarantine planet, Ferenginar.”

Bob thought, 'Ferenginar? That is the Ferengi homeworld. Quark's species.'

Jack continued, “As we have been reporting for the last two weeks, a strange disease has swept through the planet Ferenginar. Though, there have been no reports of this disease showing up anywhere off the planet, by now, the entire population of the planet has been infected. Though, the virus has only effected sentient beings.”

“While the disease, which has been confirmed as being a virus, has cause no reported deaths, nor serious illness. Everyone infected are now carriers, and due to the strange effects it has on the bodies of those infected, the virus is wrecking havoc to the Ferengi culture and society.”

“This is due to the combination of the virus' effects on the people, in conjunction with the Ferengi cultural poor treatment of women. While Grand Nagus Rom's reforms have started to come into effect, they were nowhere near fully implemented when the virus hit.”

“The reason why this is such an issue in dealing with this disease, is that the virus causes those infected to completely change gender when exposed to cold water. For a male, cold water changes them into the female of their species. For a female, cold water changes them into the male of their species.”

“The change is reported to happen within a split second, and it is not painful. And it is reported that being exposed to hot water reverses the effect, until the victim is again exposed to cold water. Also, the change is complete, down to fully functioning reproductive organs”

Bob visibly paled, as he mentally screamed, 'You have got to be kidding me! I blame Commander Nerys for this, by her making that joke!'

Jake went onto say, “As you can imagine, considering the oppression on Ferenginar has been based on gender, with everyone swapping genders, this has caused severe cultural problems on the Ferengi society.”

“Still, we should remember how this all started with a Federation starship that was transporting this dangerous disease to a star base that did research in infectious diseases.”

“Unfortunately, during the journey to the star base, the federation starship came under attack by a Ferengi raider. The attack reached a point where the ship was boarded. And the Ferengi boarding party mistook the seal case the virus was in for valuable treasure. They seized the bio-hazard case, transported the case back to their ship, and escaped before other Star Fleet ships could arrive to assist, the Federation startship, and prevent the pandemic which later occurred.”

“While there were reported injures on the federation starship, there were no report fatalities, and those on the Star Fleet ship were not infected by the virus. Though, proper quarantine procedures were taken, until this was confirmed.”

“Star Fleet did attempt to track down the Ferengi raider, but they were unable to. And all hails to the ship were ignored. Along with this, the Ferengi government has long had a policy of regarding such attacks an unauthorized acts of piracy.”

“That being said. The members of the Ferengi raider must have broken the seals to the virus, and had unknowingly become infected. They then carried the disease to the planet they returned to. Which was Ferenginar.”

“Fortunately, as reports of the first signs of outbreak happened, Grand Nagus Rom immediately recognized how quickly this disease spread, and he ordered a complete quarantine of the planet. No one was allowed to leave. Neither by starship, nor transporter.”

“Nagus Rom also contacted the Federation for assistance, and the Nagus is being hailed as a hero for such swift thinking.”

“Unfortunately, Nagus Rom and his wife Leeta, both have been infected.”

“Federation officials state that while a cure is a long way off, they believe that within a year or so, they will have developed both a vaccine and a treatment that will make those infected no longer contagious. As which point, Ferenginar's population will be treated, and the planetary quarantine will be lifted. As soon as it is confirmed that there is not longer a threat of the virus spreading to the rest of the galaxy.”

“To make matters worse, for those stuck on Ferenginar, the entire planet suffers constant, torrential rains of water. So, like it or not. Anyone stepping outside, is likely going to immediately change into their new gender.”

“The origin of the virus is still unknown. Though, it is known that the virus was originally transported from Deep Space Nine. Rumor has it that the virus originated from the Gamma Quadrant.”

“Stay tuned to the Federation News Service, for updates on this story, and other stories.”

“This is Jake Sisko, signing off for Federation News Service.”

The screen switched to a silent wall advertisement.

Bob thought, 'I guess Quark is selling ad space on his TV screen. It makes sense. Some restaurants in my home reality do that... Still, how the hell did things mess up so badly?'

Quark complimented, “I got to give that boy credit, he makes for one hell of a journalist.”

Bob turned back to face the bar counter, as he put his hands into his face, while leaned down, and placed his elbows on the counter.

Quark could see that the situation was getting to his friend. He said, in comforting tone of voice, “Listen. As I said, before. This is not your fault. It is just the greed of my people has finally burned them.”

Bob raised his head up from his hands, as he looked up at Quark. He asked, “When Commander Nerys first learned the news, how did she take it?”

Quark answered, “Kira laughed for three days, straight.” Quark turned his head towards the entrance to his bar, as he spoke, “Speak of the devil. She just came in.”

Bob turned towards the door, to see Kira walk up to him.

As soon as she came to a stop, a few feet from Bob, Kira looked around at the full room. She noticed that all eyes in the room had turned to her.

Kira ordered, “Everyone but Quark, and this man, are to leave, right now. You can come return in a few minutes.”

Everyone else in the room, both employees and customers, immediately started leaving through the front door. Within less than half a minute, those on the various floors of the bar had left Quarks. Leaving only Quark, Kira, and Bob.

Kira turned to Quark, as she warned, “Not one word Quark.”

Quark just looked at Kira, as he remained silent.

Kira looked at Bob, she stated, “Bob, we need to talk.”

Bob looked at Kira, as he responded, “Nice trick with clearing the room. I could use the quiet. Though, I really don't feel like talking. I need to drink. I just saw Mister Sisko's news report.” He then continued, in a softer tone of voice, “Still, how much does the Federation know about me?”

Kira softly replied back, “Relax. They know nothing about you. I make sure all records dealing you are sealed under my authority."

Bob quietly said, “Thank you.”

Kira softly said, “The story is that the Bajoran government found the virus from an undisclosed source, and they wanted the Federation to study it. Who knew those greed idiots would steal it.”

Quark coughed, reminding both of them of his large ears, and sharp hearing. And that he was a member of the species that Kira had just insulted.

Kira commented, in a normal tone of voice, “Still, it could not have happened to a more deserving bunch.”

Bob calmly said, in a normal tone of voice, “I disagree. I do not judge whole groups by the actions of a few. Not all Ferengi men are sexists. Take Nog and Rom for example. And Rom has been infected, as well.”

“Then, there are the Ferengi women. Most of whom are victims in this mess, no matter how you look at it. And then there are those that are not Ferengi, whom are now infected and stuck on that planet. Like Leeta. As the saying goes. Be careful what you wish for. You may get it.”

Quark smiled at Bob's comment.

Meanwhile, Kira looked away from both of them for a few seconds, with slight expression of guilt on her face.

As Kira looked back at Bob, Bob stated, “I have had a long day. I am in no mood to talk to anyone.”

Kira asked, “What kind of day?”

Bob softly said, just loud enough for Kira and Quark to hear, “This morning, I got a call from a group I know, whom had been infected with a similar virus. Fortunately, the one they have will no longer be contagious within a few weeks, to a month. They will be fine. But, they needed me to go find a woman I know that has some answers for them about the disease they have been infected with.”

Bob thought, 'I will leave out that I was the carrier for the disease. At least, for right now. I do not feel like having my body scanned, and being quarantined, anytime soon. Especially, since I am not contagious. And what happened was a fluke.'

Bob continued, in the same soft tone of voice, “When I went to the home of the woman in question, I found her, and her two female lovers, all pregnant, and about to give birth. I ended up having to play midwife to all three them. With me assisting them in the births of their newly born daughters. Then, after I was about to get the answers from the woman, and give them to the first group, that called me this morning, I come here to get a drink. And I find this mess going on.”

There was silent for a few seconds, as Kira and Quark mentally processed what Bob had just said.

Then, in response to Bob's explanation, Quark pulled out a shot glass and a bottle of Wild Turkey. He pour some into the glass, as he said, “You have been through a lot, today. Here. This one is on the house.”

Bob thought, 'I know I am having a bad day, when a Ferengi is offering me free things, out of pity.'

Kira offered, “After a day like that, I can see why you don't feel like talking to anyone.”

Bob replied, “Thank you for understanding my situation.”

Just then, all three of them noticed Nog walking into the bar from the front entrance. He was carrying a small, sealed, metal box, in his hands.

Nog walked up to beside Bob, opposite to where Kira was. And he set the box onto the bar counter.

Nog turned to them, as he asked, “Hey. What happened? Why is everyone right outside?”

Quark answered, “Your commander officer felt like having a private conversation. And she felt this was the best place to have it.”

Nog replied, “Okay. I can come back later.”

Kira stated, “That is quite alright, lieutenant. I had just finished my discussion. And I was about to leave.”

Bob turned to Nog, as he inquired, “What is in the box, Lieutenant Nog?”

Nog smiled, as he answered, “These are probably the last cookies I am going to get from Leeta. At least I can still talk to them.” He continued, in a more sadder tone of voice, “And I do mess them.”

Quark said, “Don't worry, nephew. They are still alive, and unharmed. We will meet them, again. It will just take time to work out this situation.”

Nog gave his Quark a lopsided grin, as he said, “I know, uncle.”

Meanwhile, Bob could not help but overhear their conversation.

Just as Nog was about to open the box, Bob's eyes went wide with realization. He swiftly turned to Nog, as he strongly ordered, “Don't open that box!”

Nog stopped what he was doing, as he looked toward Bob. He asked, “Why not?”

Bob answered, “Because that box is from your homeworld. Also, is that box airtight? And who has handled that box before you touched it?”

Nog casually responded, “Relax. The box is air tight. And these packages are shipped by automated drone ships. Before leaving the automated facility, the surfaces of these packages are sterilized with a light phaser sweep. And the package is scanned for diseases. There are too many fail-safes for this to have the virus in it. Besides, the date states it was sent a day before the outbreak.”

Bob countered, “Outbreaks take time to be reported. I can guarantee you that the outbreak on your homeworld was happening while this box was being packaged. Also, you have to take into account the time it takes for shipping and handling. Also, retinue scans can sometimes miss virus. And while this virus will die quickly on dry surfaces. I have no idea how long it takes for the virus to die on food.”

“And after the day I have had, I am not taking any chances. Before this box is unsealed, I am taking that box to the infirmary, and have it thoroughly scanned.”

Kira looked over at Nog, as she requested, “Lieutenant. Let him do so. It will not hurt to be cautious.”

Nog turned to Kira, as he replied, “Yes, ma'am.”

Quark said, “I would like to come with you. Just, let me get Morn, to watch the bar, for the next few minutes.”

Kira turned to Quark, as she stated, “That will be fine.”

Bob got out of his seat. He walked over to Nog and the back on the counter. He then carefully picked up the box with both hand. He turned around, and slowly walked out of the bar, through the front entrance, with Nog, Kira, and Quark following right behind him.

Fortunately, Morn was right outside the front entrance of the bar, waiting to come back inside. When Quark walked up to Morn, and requested Morn to watch his bar, Morn was more than happy to honor his request.

(_)

Five minutes later, in the infirmary of Deep Space Nine, the doctor on duty had finished his scans of the box, and the food inside. With the box set on a nearby table.

Bob, Nog, Quark, and Kira stood six feet from the doctor, and the box.

The doctor turn to face them. He stated, “I have good news, and bad news. The good news is that the box is completely sealed, and the surface is clean of the virus. The bad news is that the food inside is infected with the virus. It is very good you did not open it, and instead you brought this to me, first.”

The doctor then punched few buttons on the datapad he was holding.

Suddenly, a forcefield came up around the box, on the table.

Nog said, with fear evident in his voice, “You mean... If I opened that box?...”

Bob turned to Nog, as he flatly answered, “Yes. You would have infected yourself, along with the entire station. And with this station is the choke point between two entire quadrants of this galaxy. On opposite ends of the galaxy. It is possible the virus would have spread out of the station, and to the entire galaxy.”

Kira turned to Bob, as she stated, “You just saved the galaxy, Bob.”

Bob turned to Kira, as he sadly replied, “No. I just kept my own mess from getting bigger.” He then turned to Quark, as he requested, “Quark, can I have my drink now?”

Quark turned to Bob, as he stated, “After this, you can consider the first entire three bottles to be on the house.”

Bob replied, “Thanks.”

Kira said, “Well boys, I have to head back to Ops. We will chalk this up to a near miss, and move on. I will be sure to inform immediately inform the Star Fleet to flag all packages from Ferenginar, no matter what the date, to prevent any other possible outbreaks.”

Kira then turned, and walked out of the infirmary, and towards the elevator lift that would take her to Ops.

Quark commented, “Well, let's head back to my bar.”

Bob replied, “Good idea. I really need that drink.”

Nog said, “I could use a drink, myself.”

Bob offered, “You can have some of mine.”

Nog stated, “Thanks. Though, let me see if I like, it first.”

Bob said, “Okay.”

Then, Nog, Quark, and Bob walked out of the infirmary, and towards Quark's bar.

(_)

A few minutes later, Bob sat at his usual place at the bar counter in Quarks. While Nog sat beside him. Quark was behind the bar counter.

Also, all the employees and customers had returned to Quarks.

Quark had given Bob an entire bottle of Wild Turkey to drink, and he had poured himself a normal glass of it, to consume the whiskey.

Quark was currently serving other customers, behind the bar counter.

Nog has a shot glass of Wild Turkey, that Bob gave him some to sample.

After tasting it, Nog said, “This is quite strong.”

Bob said, “Yea. It is an acquired taste.”

Nog replied, “Okay. Thanks for letting me sample it. But, I am going to have to decline on the drink.”

Bob responded, “You choice. I am can thank your uncle for the bottle.”

Nog commented, “Yea. My uncle does have a nice side. Though, he does prefer to hide it.”

Bob replied, “Don't worry about. Just be happy that he does have a nice side.” He then took another sip of his whiskey. Next, he set the glass down on the counter, in front of him.

Just then, they heard the small communications monitor on the bar wall, by the shelves of bottles, begin to beep.

Quark turned around and walked to the screen. He punched a button under the monitor, to answer the call.

Bob and Nog could clearly see from their seats that the screen showed a Ferengi woman in Grand Nagus robe. The woman was sitting down in a chair, with her Grand Nagus cane in her right hand, pressing against the floor to her front right side. Beside the women, to her left side, was a redheaded Bajoran man, in male Bajoran clothing.

Bob thought, 'That must be Rom and Leeta. They are probably in their new gender forms as a sign of solidarity for the rest of the population of the planet.'

Quark smirked, as he looked at his brother and sister in law. He said, “Brother... Or should I say, sister, and brother in law? You look different.”

Rom warned, in her new female voice, “Cut it out, Quark. I am not in the mood. I have had my hands full for the last few weeks. This communication is strictly business.”

Quark dropped his smile, as he asked, in a serious tone of voice, “What can I do for you?”

Rom explained, “While there is enough business on the homeworld itself to keep the planet's economy afloat, I need someone I know to handle official government Ferengi Alliance business off world. And the only person I can think of that I can trust, and is competent enough to pull it off, is you. It took me this long to convince the Congress of Economic Advisors to let you do this. Do not disappointment.”

Quark was speechless for a few seconds. He then smiled, ear the ear, as he stated, “Thank you, Grand Nagus Rom.”

Nog whispered in Bob's ear, “I think that is the first time my uncle has ever called my father by his official title.”

Bob softly replied, “Well, considering what your father is giving your uncle, calling your father by that title is a small price to pay.”

Nog quietly conceded, “That is true.”

Over the communications channel, Rom said, “Over the next week, official transfer of control of all of the Ferengi Alliance holdings and finances will be transferred to you. You will have control until the quarantine is over. If you do a good job, you will likely keep your job as the new head Ambassador for the Ferengi Alliance. Do not mess this up.”

Quark quickly replied, “Don't worry. I won't. By the way, you son is right here. Would you like speak to him?”

Quark stood out of the way, so Nog could see Rom and Leeta on the screen, and the two of them see him.

Nog greeted, “Hi Father. Hi Leeta”

Rom said, “Hi son.”

Leeta said, in his new male voice, “Hi Nog. How are things?”

Nog replied, “Good.”

Leeta asked, “Did you get the cookies I sent you?”

Nog diplomatically said, “No. You could say they were lost in transport.”

Leeta replied, “Oh well. We will talk later, Nog. When you get to your private quarters.”

Nog smiled, as he replied, “I look forward to it.”

Rom and Leeta then cut the transmission.

Nog turned to Bob, as he carefully requested, “Bob, since you seem to be the closest thing to an expert we have on this. Can I ask you a question?”

Bob looked over at Nog, as he kindly answered, Nog's unspoken questioned, “Nog, they are still the same people. And they still love you. That will not change. Only their flesh has been changed. Not their souls.”

Nog replied, “Thank you.”

Bob offered, “You're welcome. Want some more of my whiskey?”

Nog said, “On second thought, I think I will. Let us see if I can acquire the taste for it, today.”

Bob replied, “Just take it slowly, and sip it. And you should do fine.”

Bob poured some more Wild Turkey into Nog's shot glass, as he joke, “And acquiring a taste for a new product sounds like a perfect challenge for a, Ferengi.”

Both men lightly chuckled a Bob's joke

A few seconds later, as the two men started to calm down, Quark walked up to them. As he stood across from the bar from them, he said, “Well. It looks like I am going to be busier for the near future, than I had planned.”

Bob smiled, as he stated, “More than you realize.”

Quark inquired, “What do you mean?”

Bob explained, “You are now the official main ambassador of the Ferengi Alliance to the rest of the galaxy. You now have diplomatically immunity. And by extension, this bar is now an embassy, and thus considered sovereign territory of the Ferengi Alliance. And given the wealth and power you now possess, as long as you don't push Commander Nerys too far, the Bajoran government will likely give into any reasonable demands you have for this bar. At long as you make a few invests on Bajor.”

Quark questioned, “You mean?...”

Bob smiled turned into a wicked grin, as he stated, “Yep. That's right. The dabo girls. The gambling. The holosuites. You can having it all back, Quark.”

Quark started laughing at his good fortunate, for several seconds.

As Quark finished laughing, he yelled, with glee, “Quark's is back in business!”

Bob took a sip of his Wild Turkey, towards Quark's good fortune.

(_)

An hour later, Bob and Nog finished the bottle of Wild Turkey. By then, Nog had informed Bob that he had acquired a taste for the whiskey.

Fortunately, neither of the two men were drunk. Buzzed, but not drunk.

Bob then said his goodbyes. Next, he returned to his personal quarters, put the gold pressed latium bars he did not spend, back into the draw he had kept those small bars in.

After closing the draw, Bob pulled out his reality device, and he returned to his and Ed's apartment, on Mars, in the Cowboy Bebop reality, a few minutes after he left there.

As Bob appeared, in the living room, he casually inquired, “Hi girls. How long was a gone?”

Ed used the remote to mute the TV. Then, she and B turned to face him.

B answered, “A few minutes.”

Bob replied, “Good.”

Ed asked, “You are not drunk, are you?”

Bob answered, “No. I am not sober, either. But, not drunk. I got a nice buzz going. And that is the only reason I am not depressed. Anyway, I got to tell you what happened when I headed to Quarks.”

Bob then walked over to the couch, and sat down on the right side of Ed. With B, on the left side of Ed, on the couch.

Fortunately, the couch was big enough to comfortably fit the three of them.

Bob leaned back in the couch, as he turned his head to his left, to look at the two women, whom were next to him.

Then, Bob began his story, “Anyway, I walked into Quarks, in the afternoon, their time. After sitting down a the bar counter, at my usual seat, at the counter, I talked to Quark a bit. He then points to the large view screen over the entrance. I looked a the viewscreen, and I see this news report by an adult, Jake Sisko...”

As Bob finished his story, Ed and B comforted Bob as best they could.

(_)

Cowboy Bebop Reality. In orbit above Mars. It has been two Days after Bob had gotten the information for Simon and the crew of the Serenity.

The Serenity was in orbit around Mars, as it continued its unofficial quarantine, until they were no longer contagious with the gender changing virus they had been infected with.

It was in late morning as Simon sat in his chair, in the infirmary of the Serenity.

Simon was watching the various news reports on TV.

The vidphone system, and TV station signals broadcast across the Sol system, were transmitted, via the hyperspace gate system, at near real time across the Sol system. Thus, allowing for almost no lag time in communications, and broadcast systems

It has been two days since Mal first changed genders, and everyone had started displaying cold symptoms, but no one else had changed genders, so far. Fortunately, there had been no reports of the virus on the news.

Simon thought, 'At least we dodged a pandemic. Also, if I am right, in a few weeks, we will we will no longer be contagious. Though, we do have enough supplies to last a couple of months. So, there are no worries there. All that is left now is a waiting game, as we adjust to these new changes... As they happen.'

'We have already started showing cold symptoms, now it is just a matter of time. Though, the cold symptoms that Mal has are already starting to lessen. He can still change his gender with a sneeze. But, the cold itself is going away. Meaning, none of us will have such symptoms for long. A few days, to a week, at most.'

'And on the matter of the other changes. We will just have to get use to the gender bending, and the longevity. Which really does not bother me much, because it offers more opportunities and experiences. While allowing us more time, and control of our changing abilities.'

'Along that line of thought. Kaylee and I are already planning what we are going to do when we can reverse our roles in bed. Though, except for Mal, none of us have yet to change.'

'That being said. I did always admire Kaylee creativity in bed. And we have much to look forward too.'

'Also, I have to made sure the rest of the crew is fine for right now. Morale for the crew is about normal. Which is good.'

'And on the subject, I think I will head to the common area, and key an eye on everyone.'

'I wonder what everyone will look like when they change gender? I even wonder what I will look like. And at least I now have a hobby on my off time. That being trying to figure out the medical mechanics of how this gender changing can occur in the first place.'

'That is going to take time. But, I am in no rush. And it will give me something to do.'

Simon got up from his chair. He then turned off the monitor with the TV on it. Next, he walked out of the infirmary, and he headed for the common area of the spaceship.

(_)

Elsewhere, on board the Serenity, Daiyu and River looked at each other, in the bunk they shared.

Both of them were dressed, and they spending some quiet time together.

It was clear from the aches and pains that everyone had, they were all in the early stages of the gender changing virus. Even Daiyu, herself, was infected.

As Daiyu and River laid beside each other, on their pillows, they were looking at each other.

Daiyu thought, 'Given the nature of this virus, I should not be surprised that I am infected, even with the super-solder serum in my bloodstream. And I can feel that soreness, and my head is already starting to get stuffy.'

River was reading Daiyu's mind. That had becoming so intimate. That they had gotten use having partly telepathic conversation, where Daiyu would think, Revy would read her mind, and viably reply. With neither really concerned about the situation of such conversations.

River commented, “I am experiencing the same things. So, don't feel bad.'

Daiyu thought, 'At least it is not that bad.'

River agreed, “True.”

Daiyu thought, 'Still, I will eventually change genders in front of the others. And my cover will be blown. With everyone learning I am really Chang.'

River stated, “That will be kind of obvious.”

Daiyu thought, 'I may be in hiding. But, it might be best if I still them whom I am, before they find out on their own.”

River agreed, “That would be a good idea.”

Daiyu thought, 'Though, I am concerned about how they will reacted. While I can hold my own. There is nowhere for me to go. I cannot leave the ship. And I do not want to create a pandemic, even to save my hide. Besides, I don't want to harm them. But, by the same token, I don't want them to harm me.'

River said, “I promise not to let them hurt you.”

Daiyu said, “Thank you.”

River requested, 'Just don't be the one that starts the fight.'

Daiyu thought, 'I promise you, that I will start any fights over the matter of my identity, on board this ship.'

River suggested, “Thank you. Now, let's head to the common area, where every one else currently is. If we are going to do this. We might want to do it now, before we don't have a choice on the matter.”

Daiyu complimented, “Good idea, River.”

Both of them got out of their bunk and headed for the common area, where everyone was at.

While they walked, down the hallway, they were side by side, with Daiyu was to River's left side.

As they made their way to the common area, Daiyu thought, 'Given the last few days, the crew has been handling things very well. Given we are faced with a very strange situation, which we are all heading for.'

As they continued walking, River agreed, “True. Though, it is unfortunate that Mal does not like the female from.'

Daiyu thought, 'Yes. It is unfortunate that Mal hates turning into a woman. His male ego will not allow him to enjoy enjoy being a woman. Though, Mal's female form is smoking hot. She is not slender, but she has good sized breasts and a great figure.'

'Along those lines, it is likely Simon and Jayne will be hot women. If the woman change into men that are equally sexy as males, then it will be interesting. At least, I know what I will look like as a guy. It will be nice to be a guy again, in my prime.'

River admitted, “I have been looking forward to that.”

Daiyu giggled a little. She then thought, 'Speaking of looking forward to things. Inara stated that since the change is not permanent, and could be easily controlled by sneezing, that she was looking forward to turning a man, to see which form truly had the best sexual experiences, and in what ways.'

'The way she was looking at Mal caused Mal to pale when she made those comments.'

River commented, “That was very funny to see. I got a good laugh out of that.”

Daiyu thought, 'We all got a good laugh out of it. And in private, you admitted to me that you, that you looking forward to see what it is like to be a man. You even told me some of positions you planned to try on me.

River giggle a little.

Daiyu thought, 'I had so much fun giving your pointers on how to properly get into, and do those positions properly. Telepath, or not. The look on your face when I told you that was priceless.'

River admitted, “That is was.”

Daiyu thought, 'And then we made love right afterward... Love... I guess I am falling for you.'

River smiled, as she happily responded, “I guess so. And I am happy that you feel that way toward me. It makes me feel better. Now please, continue thinking. I am enjoying reading your thoughts.”

Daiyu thought, 'Thank you. Zoe stated she was really didn't care either way. All it did was offer her options. I like that about Zoe. She is always a practical person.'

River commented, in a sober tone of voice, “I agree. And I think that is the reason why she was able to handle Wash's death so well. And not go to pieces.'

Daiyu thought, 'True. Though, she has not show any interest in relationships since Wash's death.'

River stated, “Zoe and Wash were like soul mates. And it takes time to heal from such a lose. Though, with the longevity, she now has the time to heal and move on. I do not want her to go old alone.”

Daiyu though, 'Yes. That would be sad. Though, Zoe does have a sense of humor. She pulled a nice joke on Jayne. During dinner, yesterday, she asked Jayne, that if after he changed, if Jayne was planning to permanently move to his, or her, bunk.'

'This caused everyone to have a much needed laugh. And Jayne took the joke in stride, as he replied that he would let her know. Which caused some more laughter.'

River commented, “Jayne can been mature, when he wants too.”

Daiyu thought, 'True. While I do not like Bob. I will admit that he has been a good influence on Jayne.'

River stated, “Yes. Bob has. Bob is very a nice man. And by example. He has taught Jayne some manners.”

Daiyu thought, 'Yes. I am happy it went that way. Instead of Jayne rubbing off some of his bad habits on Bob. Or, is that the case?'

River commented, “Nah. Believe it, or not. I would say that Ed has a short lease on Bob. But, she doesn't need one. Bob is really just that nice a man.”

Daiyu thought, 'Good. I hope that Bob and I might someday peacefully settle are differences.'

River said, “I think that is a possibility.”

Daiyu thought, 'Still, during that dinner. Jayne even admitted that part of him was scared, and the other part found the idea of changing genders, interesting. And that he hope that none of them would try to kill Bob, because he still wanted to be Bob's friend. Which is understandable, given Bob is Jayne's only real friend.'

River commented, “That is true.”

Daiyu thought, 'Hard to believe that Reggie, was really Bob of the future, and he set his younger self up like that. But, I am not going to fault him for that. Anyone that has the balls to steal Mal's long coat, and then returned it to him, in person. Decades later, and get away with it, without getting hurt has my respect.'

River questioned, “I thought you said you didn't like him?”

Daiyu thought, 'I respect him. Though, I still don't like him.'

River said, “As long as you respect him, that is probably enough for him.”

Daiyu thought, 'Perhaps. Though, I am glad we agreed to break the news of my true identity to Mal and the crew. These gender abilities are anything like Akira's, they would likely occasionally sneeze and change genders in their sleep.'

River replied, “I agree. They will figure it out on their own.”

Daiyu thought, 'Though, that dinner yesterday has some interesting drama, as well.'

'After we had all calmed down. Simon bought up a sensitive subject for the women. That needed to be mentioned. He asked the women if any of them had breast implants. And given the gender changing, if any of them had such implant, he highly recommended getting them removed. And he could preform the surgery to complete remove them within less than an hour.'

River commented, “I admit. The question need to be asked and answered. Before the changes started.”

Daiyu thought, 'Yes. Fortunately, all the women turned out to be all natural in that way. With none of them have breast implants.'

River said, “Still, it was embarrassing to answer that question.”

Daiyu thought, 'If that is the only time you are embarrass over this entire situation, consider yourself lucky.'

River replied, “Oh. I agree with you, on that.”

Daiyu thought, 'Also, Zoe did bring up another interesting topic, on that matter. She asked Simon about cybernetic devices that may have been implanted in you, or the others.'

River commented, 'That is a good precaution on her part. And that matter has been take care of.”

Daiyu thought, 'Good. And then there is Kaylee and Simon. After Zoe's question was handled, Kaylee made and interesting point. Given, we are all soon going to be able to change back and forth. With no real gender boundaries, she and the other original women could talk to about health and sex more out in the open. Talk about tempting fate.'

River complained, “That was unwise of her. Why did Kaylee have to open her big mouth in front of Mal?”

Daiyu thought, 'Good question. As captain, and male, at the time, Mal immediately put his foot down, and ordered there would be no talking of feminine hygiene in the open, until everyone on the ship was able to change. That bought him and Jayne a reprieve. As a doctor, and a good one at that, Simon already knew this stuff,'

River commented, “Simon knows more on the subject, than he cares to admit.”

Daiyu though, 'I bet. Jayne then asked Simon and Kaylee's opinion on soon being able to change back and forth. They gave him and interesting answer. That they were looking forward to playing opposite roles. That they wanted to know how pleasurable some of the things they did to the other was when the situation was reversed. And in doing so, they could figure out how to enhance the experience for both of them.'

River smiled, as she said, “We are going to do that too.”

Daiyu thought, 'Of course. I looked forward to it. Anyway, I admire how Kaylee and Simon have handled this situation. They been open about their plans with the rest of us. And they are planing to try every combination possible. Man, woman. Woman, man. Woman, woman. Man, man. And for them to learn what it was like.”

River complimented, “My brother sometimes underestimates his own genius and creativity. And Kaylee is nearly Simon's equal in creativity, and genius.”

Daiyu thought, in agreement, 'Too true. Any children they have, will likely rival you in intelligence.'

River commented, “If that does happen. I will look forward to that. Still, they have no plans on children, for a very long time.”

Daiyu, 'I am not surprised. Those two strike me as the type to take their time on just about everything. Still, Jayne has the more interesting response to Kaylee and Simon's comments. Jayne said that he was surprised they were that... Open minded.'

'In response, Kaylee pointed out, that Jayne was likely going to become very open minded, very soon.'

'Jayne then replied that he had no comment.'

River stated, “Oh, he had a comment. It was just too embarrassing to say out loud.”

Daiyu though, 'I bet. And as a joke on the rest of the crew, Kaylee and Simon then casually started talking, in front of the crew, as they went into detail, about their personal plans on what sexual positions and techniques they were going to try on each other, when they gain the ability to change their genders.'

River said, “I think they are being inspiration, by them giving the crew ideas on the matter.”

Daiyu let out a laugh. She then thought, 'True. I am looking forward to some of the positions they talked about.'

River replied, “So, am I.”

Daiyu thought, 'Some of them, I have not even tried, as either male, nor female.'

River said, “Neither have I.”

Daiyu thought, 'And on a related matter. At least we won't have to deal with periods any longer. The women here were ready to throw a party when we heard what Bob found out. That we would not have to deal with monthly periods and pregnancy, unless we stay as woman for a few weeks straight.'

River commented, “I still say we should have the party.”

Daiyu thought, 'I agree. Though, Simon did warn everyone, that while we have no sexual transmitted diseases, that we could still get a sexual transmitted disease, if we were not careful. And Simon stated from tests on Mal in both genders, that our aging will be greatly slowed.'

'Even more so with me, as my longevity from the super-soldier serum. And the longevity of the rest of the crew, considering you are all from the Verse. And you have naturally longer spans. Also, when the virus goes dormant, Simon stated that kissing and having sex will not spread the virus. That would require a blood transfusion. And that is a relief.'

River agreed, “Yes. It is.”

Daiyu thought, 'There was one down side for Jayne. Bob informed us that switching back and forth makes it next to impossible to grow and maintain a facial beard. Jayne was not really happy to find he was going to lose his goatee. Still, the others, including myself, were glad we were not going to have to worry about shaving our faces anymore. That is the one thing I did not miss about being a guy.'

River commented, “I can see why. So, are you going to be okay with occasionally changing back into a man?

Daiyu thought, 'I believe so. Fortunately, my brainwashing was to allow me to like being a female, not dislike being a male. So, I should have no problems being either gender, as I want too. That is, if I live thought the next hour.'

'Also, all the tests we did on the super-soldier serum stated that even thought using it will kill a male. Using it on a female, and then changing their gender to male, after the fact, will not harmed that person. We used a gender bending gun, and a few instant packets of spring of drowned man, to test this theory, and prove it true.'

'And the test subjects were changed back to women when finished. I even used those instant man packets in secret, with my female boom body guards. And while, I like doing it as a man, I also like doing it as woman. It will be hard to choose now.'

River said, “Choices like that make life worth living.”

Daiyu verbally replied, “I completely agree.”

It was at that moment that the two women reached the common area, they saw the rest of the crew in the room, including Simon, whom had walk in and sat down, a few minutes before River and Daiyu had entered the room.

The rest of the crew were sitting down in the chairs and couches, around the large, widescreen TV, and entertainment center.

Daiyu thought, 'Because the Serenity was in a stable orbit, it could be put be safely put into autopilot, allowing everyone to rest.'

Daiyu saw that the TV has just gone to commercials.

Daiyu thought, 'Watching TV to take their minds off their problems. A classic tactic. Best do it now.'

Daiyu saw Zoe had the remote. She requested, “Zoe, could you mute the TV, I have something important to tell everyone.”

Zoe saw that the TV was on commercials. She use the remote to mute the TV. She then turned to Daiyu, as she inquired, “What is this about, Daiyu?”

By then, everyone else in the room was also looked towards Daiyu.

River stood beside Daiyu, to Daiyu's right side.

Daiyu looked at Zoe. She then looked around the room, with her field of view stopping in front of the currently male, Mal. Daiyu stated, in a calm tone of voice, “Captain. Everyone. We need to talk. For the months I have been here, I have lied to you all. And I realize that real soon you would figure things out on your own, what I have been hiding from you. So, I wanted to tell you first. Before you found out on your own.”

Mal was currently a guy, sitting in a chair, as he blew his nose into tissues with religious fervor, to make sure he did not sneeze, and change back into a woman. And he was in no mood for games, as he sternly asked, “How bad have you lied to us?”

Daiyu politely requested, “I have no illusions about what you will likely do to me. If you kill me now. Please, do so, quickly. Use a gun. Do not throw me out the airlock.”

Jayne commented, “Always knew something was off about you, girl. I wonder what it is? You are not dead, yet. So, why don't you just tell us what is going, and see how we take the news.”

Daiyu turned to Jayne. She then looked back at Mal, as she stated, “First, before we get to the details of what I have done. I want you all to know that I have no intentions of fighting you for two reasons. One, you are River's family. Two, there is nowhere I can run too. And I have no interest on unleashing a plague, on the entire solar system, even if it just changes a person's gender.”

“I will freely accept any punishment you decide to give me. Also, I make no excuses for my actions. I was on top of the world in so many ways. I was on drunk power trip that I could not stop.”

Kaylee said, “Daiyu, whatever you have done must have been pretty bad.”

Daiyu shrugged, as she responded, “Well, let us just say on the evil scale, what I, and my former organization, did at the time, was a few notches below what the Alliance did to Miranda, that accidentally created the reavers.”

Everyone else, but River, tensed up, at realizing how much Daiyu knew, that they did not know she knew. Nor, had they previously told her.

Inara commented, in a serious tone of voice, “Daiyu, we never told you about Miranda, the Alliance, nor the reavers.”

Daiyu commented, “You guys, and Bob are not the only ones not from this reality. I am not from this reality, either. And I have seen your series, and movie.”

Mal ordered, in a serious tone of voice, “Who are you really, Daiyu?”

Daiyu said, in a sad tone of voice, “I am Chang. Black Lagoon Chang. The Chang your friend, Rock, and the others, were fighting. The Chang that sent those boomers after you. The Chang that was planing to turn you into women, brainwash you, and use you as breeding stock.”

Jayne stated, “Chang is a man. You're a woman.”

Kaylee pointed out, “Wait a minute, right after that battle at that large Tower. When we returned to that place, Rock mentioned that Chang had himself changed into a woman.”

Daiyu admitted, “That I did. Mainly because doing so returned my youth to me, and extended my lifespan.”

Zoe shrugged, as she replied, “That is understandable.”

Simon realized, as he questioned, “That is why you did not want us to watch the omakes? And that is why Bob suggested the omakes in the first place? There is something on those episodes that would give you away?”

Daiyu answered, “Yes. The forth Black Lagoon Omake. The Boys and Girls Omake. Would have given me away.”

Mal ordered, “Jayne, pulled out that disc right now. I want to see it, a minute ago.”

Jayne started moving towards the TV, player, and his disc collection, as he stated, “On it.”

Daiyu and River moved to stand to the right side of the group, at an angle that would allow them to watch the TV.

A minute later, Jayne, put the video disc into the disc player, pick up the remote to the dis player, selected the fourth omake, and moved out of the way,

Meanwhile, Zoe used the TV remote to turn back on the volume to the TV, and set it to the proper output.

A few seconds later, the Serenity crew then started watching the Boys and Girls omake.

When omake showed Rock as a woman, Kaylee blurted out, “Oh my god. That looks like the Rock we personally met. So, the male Rock from the anime, and the female Rock we met are the same person?”

Daiyu answered, “Yes. And I am the Chang from the anime.”

Then. the female Dutch and Benny showed up, and the crew recognized them.

Inara stated, “So, we met Dutch and Benny, as well.”

Daiyu commented, “I hope they were not too pissed off about what I did to them. Because, I am sure, by now, Rock has broken their programing. Along, with Shenhua, Revy, Roberta, and Sawyer's programing.”

River answered, “I was there, after the battle. I read some of their thoughts. Considering, after they found out you were now a woman, as well. They are not really angry, nor upset. Just annoyed with you.”

Daiyu let out a breath, in relief.

Then, the male Balalaika showed up.

Zoe commented, “Balalaika makes for a hot man.”

Kaylee agreed, “You got that right. Those facials scars actually enhance his hunkness.”

Daiyu said, “No arguments there. And here I show up. Or, my counterpart. I don't ever remember being in this crazy scene.”

The female Chang show up on screen.

Kaylee stated, “Yep. That is you.”

Simon agreed, “I see the resemblance.”

Then, the omake started showing the rest of the cast, with their gender bent.

As the omake got to Revy, Chang cautioned, “You might want to skip to the end. This scene is kinda twisted.”

Jayne asked, “Why is Revy a woman, while everyone else are not themselves?”

Then, Revy let down his pants, from the point of view, that the viewers mercifully were only shown his back side.

The entire crew, including Daiyu, winced at the scene on their TV, as Jayne said, “I did not need to see that.”

Kaylee commented, “None of us did.”

Inara smiled, as she commented, in casual tone of voice, “I found that scene slightly amusing.”

A few of the other crew members looked over at Inara for a few seconds, before they turned back to watch the TV.

The rest of the gender flipper characters were shown, and the omake ended, with Jayne using the disc player remote to stop the disc.

Zoe turned to Mal, as she asked, “Sir. What now?”

Mal grabbed another tissue from the tissue box, and blew his nose. He then turned to River, as he plainly asked, “River, it is clear that you care about, Daiyu... I mean Chang. But, why did you not tell us?”

River turned to Mal, as she said, in a soft, sober tone of voice, “I needed someone. And that someone had to be my equal. If not in intelligence, then in creativity, and thinking outside the box. While being nice to look at. Having manners. And a sense of style. It did not matter if that person was male, or female. Daiyu fit the requirements. And all things considered, she has a good personality.”

Mal responded, “Well, I will give you credit, River. You are being straightforward. And so is Chang. But, I am disappointed that your loneliness is the only reason you brought us here.”

Daiyu defended River, “Actually, this reality is a good fit for you. Much like the Verse was settle by a combination of peoples from the United States and China on Earth. In this reality. The Cowboy Bebop reality. The United States and China, of Earth, heavily influenced the colonization of the rest of this Sol system.”

“It is possible that your reality, the Firefly reality, was heavily inspired by this reality's series. From the space cowboy culture. Though, this reality has a slightly less corrupt government. Unlike the Alliance was for you. That is why this reality seems sort of like home for you. Though, that is only one anime series, of a handful, that likely inspired your reality.”

Simon inquired, “Interesting. What other animes are you talking about?”

Daiyu answered, “Actually, River being in stasis, while in a suitcase, was directly lifted from an early scene in an anime titled, Outlaw Star. That is pretty good series. Not as good an anime as mine, nor the Cowboy Bebop series. But, still good. And I checked, the series existed here. For us to watch.”

Zoe flatly said, “We will have to see that anime, some other time. But, the question is, what do we do with you?”

Mal stated, “Nothing. We will do nothing to, Chang.”

Everyone else, including River and Daiyu, stated, either, “What?”, “Huh?”, “Captain?”

Mal explained, “We all got new sky, and a second chance, because of you. For that, you get a reprieve. Besides, you are a good cleaner for this ship, and you have shown to be at least somewhat trustworthy. Also, River likes you, and she seems to be saner due to your relationship with her.”

Daiyu asked, “Thank you, captain. But, what about my past?”

Mal shrugged, as he responded, “Sure, you have screwed over a lot of people. So, have we. But, all in all, you didn't screw us over. Barring this one secret, you have not violated our trust. You have no stolen from us. You have no tried to harm us. Also, you are a good worker. And if the anime is anything to go by, you are almost as skilled a gunfighter as I am.”

Daiyu thought, 'Actually, I am a better gunfighter than you. And we both know it. But, I am not going to say that to your face. Especially, not right now.'

Mal continued, “When you earn enough of my trust, I will give you a pair of decent pistols, and you can come with us on collecting our bounties.”

Daiyu stated, “Thank you again, captain. Though, I have a question. When I gain the ability to change back and forth, may I have permission to live as a man, while on the ship?”

Mal looked around at his crew, as he said, “It does matter to me what genders, any of you prefer to be. As long as it does not interfere with your job. And you look profession in the clothing you wear at the time. Though, I highly suggest none of you get pregnant. This will not be a nursery ship.”

Mal then continued, in a flat, stern tone of voice, “And there will never, ever, be any orgies in this ship. So, get that out of your heads. Any sexual relations, outside of hugging and kissing, will be done in private.”

River thought, 'You're lying, Mal. It does bother you. Especially, when you think of Inara turning into a man. But, you are polite enough to be understanding with your crew. Within reason. And that is what I respect about you. That is why I still follow your leadership.'

Daiyu commented, “Captain, there is one more thing. A piece of good news.”

Mal replied, “Good news is always welcome.”

Daiyu explained, “River and I have been talking for a few weeks about the reality technology. And I think it is a good as time as any, to mention this to everyone.”

“While, none of us have access to reality traveling technology, right now. I did memorized the formulas my organization used to create the technology. Along, with the blueprints for the technology. Including, the small remote devices I am sure young Bob used, and I think older Bob, Ed, and B have access to.”

“River can pull the information directly from my mind. And with River and Simon's genius in high end math, along with Kaylee's technical skills. With River assisting. I am sure we could create our own reality jump devices within a few months. Also, the cost in equipment and materials is not that expensive.”

Mal smiled.

Daiyu thought, 'Good. I made him happy.'

River giggled at Daiyu's thought.

Mal continued smiling, as he said, “Okay. We will get on that, as a side project. I can see the benefits in that. It is unfortunate that Rock and the others clearly did not trust us with such technology. They repaired my ship, gave us gold, other treasures, supplies, and they sent us here. With River's recommendation. That was all they did for us. This is one of the reasons I will protect you, Daiyu. If they someday come looking for you.”

Daiyu stated, “I appreciate that. On other matter, B, is Boris from my reality. She even recognized me.”

Jayne commented, “I really did not see that coming. I honestly don't see how B and Boris could be the same person.”

Daiyu stated, “It is hard to tell, if you don't have the background information on him, to go by. Go watch the sixth Black Lagoon omake, Viva Youth, later. At the end of the episode, it shows that as a teenager, Boris was a skinny pretty boy. You can even see the resemblance. In looks, the only difference between him as a slender teenager, and her as a slender woman, is that B is a few years older, has more feminine features, and a nice set of breasts. Boris joined the military to bulk up. And boy did the russian military make a man out of him. I will admit he is a hunk, as a man... Yes. I swing both ways.”

Jayne said, “I believe you, Daiyu. Or, do you want to be known as Chang, now?”

Daiyu responded, “Either name is fine. But, since we will all soon be able to change back and forth, I suggest if you want to live in the other gender, than you are, right now. You might want to come up with a cover identity. Like I did.”

The others either shrugged, or nodded in agreement, as Jayne commented, “Good idea.... Achoo!”

Suddenly, where Jayne was sitting, was a slightly slimmer, slightly shorter, sexy woman, with breasts that fit her body well. And whom had the same hair and eye color as Jayne, along with wearing his clothes.

Simon asked, with concern in his tone of voice, “Jayne. Are you okay?”

Jayne looked down at herself, and as she saw her breasts under her shirt. She realized she was now a woman.

To everyone's surprise, Jayne did not immediately reach for her breasts and crotch. Instead, with her left hand, she picked up the facial hairs on the top of her shirt that had fallen off her face.

As Jayne looked at the hairs, she rubbed her chin with her right hand, while realizing that it was smooth, and her goatee was gone.

Jayne looked at Simon, as she answered, in a slightly high pitched voice, “I feel fine. The change didn't hurt at all. This is not as bad as I thought it would be. The only difference I can tell is my breasts are tender, and when I focus on it, down there feels different. Though, I am mourning my goatee. And I am not freaking out because I know, after watching the captain, I can change back with a sneeze... So, how do I look?”

Kaylee teased, “Jayne, you are smoking hot. If I wasn't jealous, I would suggest you stay that way.”

Jayne cracked a grin, as she happily replied, “Thanks Kaylee.”

Jayne then got up from her chair, as she said, “I'll be in my bunk.” She then smirked, as she stated, “And yes. For that.” Next, she used her hands to gesture down her body, as she continued, “Because of this.”

Daiyu commented, without a hint of embarrassment in her voice, “Jayne. I suggest you take your time. Don't rush. Wait until you are wet down there, or you could hurt yourself. I learned that the hard way.”

Several of the women in the room the giggled at Daiyu's comment.

Jayne turned to Chang, as she said, “Thanks for the advice.”

Jayne then turned and start walking out of the room, towards the sleeping quarters, and her bunk.

Kaylee commented, “I wonder if I can change now, also.”

Simon warned, “As a doctor, I suggest you wait, and let the change happen on its own.”

Kaylee conceded, “Good point. Best not to rush things.”

Suddenly, everyone heard another sneeze.

Everyone turned to see that Inara had turned into a man.

Even thought Inara's feminine clothing was stretched and had ripped slightly, and while his new male form was a lot more muscular and handsome, they could tell that the man was Inara.

Inara looked down at himself, as he said, in a deeper voice, “This is odd.”

Kaylee blurted out, “Damn. We now know the hotness factor to this disease works both ways. I cannot wait see what I will look like as a man.”

Inara looked up at the rest of those present, as he asked, “Am I really that attractive as a male?”

Kaylee said, “Let me put it this way. You are as attractive as a man, as you are attractive as a woman.”

A wicked grin spread on Inara's lips, as he said, “Well then, I will be in my cabin.”

He then stood up, and walked out of the room.

As Mal watched his female love interest turn into a man, and walk out of the room, in a manner that only left only one possibility of what he was about to do, Mal thought, with disbelief, 'This is going to be an interesting life. I know that Inara, as a man, is going to want to have me, as a woman. I know it is coming. The only question is when?'

'On the bright side to this, is that she will first have let me have her, while I am a man. And in either form, Inara probably knows every possible way to bring sexual pleasure to someone of either gender. So, I know it is going to be a fun ride.'

'Still, when I originally signed up to be a browncoat, I had no idea this was where, nor how, I would end up.'

River could not help but lightly giggle at Mal's thoughts.

(_)

A month later, Mars, Tharsis City, Ed and Bob's apartment, in the morning.

Ed had just gotten up, while Bob was already dress and ready.

As Ed was getting cleaned up, Bob was with B in the living room, sitting beside each other, on the couch, while they were watching TV.

To be exact, the two good friends were watching previous day's airing of Bigshot. And the two were talking about which bounty they might want to go after.

Suddenly, the vidphone rang.

Bob started to get up, as he said, “I'll get it.”

Meanwhile, B used the remote to mute the TV.

A few seconds later, Bob walked over the vidphone.

Bob picked up the receiver and put it to his ear, as he saw Jayne's male face on the screen. Only Bob noticed that Jayne did not have a goatee. Though, Jayne was smiling, as he stated, “Hi buddy.”

Bob replied, “Hi Jayne.”

Jayne said, “I guess I am going to call you, Bob, from now on?”

Bob commented, “Yes. Sorry for deceiving you all. But, I was not in a position to tell you the truth.”

Jayne stated, “I can see why. Anyway, I have some good news. The doc said we are clear to leave the ship now. And I was hoping that the two of us could go drinking, like we use to do, before this mess came up.”

Bob smiled, as he inquired, “I would be more than happy too. So, how is everyone adjusting to the changes?”

Jayne answered, “Pretty good. Everyone seems to be adapted to their new abilities well. Except for Mal. But, Mal is Mal.”

Bob responded, “That is true. Thought, I have to admit, I am surprised that you would be so okay with your situation.”

Jayne smiled slight grew, as he stated, “After some private time in my bunk, I came to appreciate my other form.”

Bob thought, 'Why am I not surprised?'

Bob commented, “I bet.”

Jayne said, “I am look forward to seeing you tonight. I will even show you my other form. I am hot both ways now.”

Bob replied, “I am sure you are. And I would like to see your other side. But, I am not sleeping with you. I already have a girlfriend.”

Jayne responded, “Oh, don't worry. I won't seduce you. I like Ed and B too much to hurt them. So, usual place and time, tonight?”

Bob said, “Sure.”

Jayne continued grinning, as he replied, “I will see you there.”

Jayne then hung up the connection.

Bob hung up the receiver, as he happily thought, 'Well, it looks like Jayne is still my friend. And it tonight is probably going to be very interesting. Though, that is tonight. Today, I get to spend with my girlfriend, and friend.'

Bob then went back to watching TV with B. When Bob sat back down on the couch, B use the remote to turned the volume back on. With the two good friends watching for Ed to get ready and dress, so they could go about their day, together.

To be continued.

(_)

Author's Notes:

On Ed's dialogue. I have hinted throughout the story that they strange way she talks is partly an act, and partly because she likes to talk that way. But, eventually, as pointed out by Bob, in his thoughts, Ed came to realize that she is both and adult, and has been civilization for so long, she can not longer pull the feral act. And so, Ed finally decided to speak normally.

Now, why was Chang/Daiyu was forgiven so easily by Mal?

Mal's sense of right and wrong is straightforward. As long as a person has not wronged Mal, his crew, someone that he cares for, or could care about, he could careless.

Fortunately, while Chang did send robots after them. They never actually hurt Mal's crew.
Also, Mal realizes that Daiyu being River's girlfriend makes River happy and saner.

River being better makes Simon happy. That makes Kaylee, the engineer of Mal's ship, happy. And the basic morale of the crew is better because Daiyu is there.

Along with this, Mal would like to have access to reality devices. And between Daiyu knowledge, River and Simon's genius, and Kaylee's mechanical skills. Mal knows he will likely soon have

In addition, Mal has seen the Black Lagoon series. He knows Chang/Daiyu is a top rate badass in battle. Even before she was exposed to the super-soldier serum. And one that current works for him.

While Mal is not going to trust Daiyu with a gun, yet. He is going to give Daiyu a chance to prove herself.

Mal realizes how valuable Chang/Daiyu is, and he is not going to throw her off his ship.

Finally, and this is the most important reason. Daiyu told Mal the truth, before Mal found out. Mal respects someone coming clean like this. And as such, he is going to give Daiyu a chance to prove herself.

On the births of Ranma, Natsuru, and Akira's children. That was mostly written for two reasons.

One, I needed to introduce the three characters, Mikoto, Nodoka, and Yurika. And I did it because it created another humorous situation for Bob.

On the gender bending. Where to start.

On the gender bending of the Serenity crew, including Chang/Daiyu.

Those scenes first offered me a reasons for Chang/Daiyu to come clean with the rest of the Serenity crew.

Also, it offered showing a gender change of an entire group, at once. I have not done that before.

Now, about the crews reactions to their gender changes.

Given, the change resets their female monthly cycles, the women of the crew don't mind the change. They consider their new abilities to be a good trade off. And that is not even counting how the virus has always slowed their aging, in both gender forms.

Now, this slowing of aging combines with the Serenity crews natural longevity, which is longer than humans of our planet. Also, this slowing of aging combines with the longevity of Daiyu/Chang's longevity of her super-soldier serum. Thus, extending the Serenity crew's lifespans for most longer than they originally were.

Due to Inara former occupation, she is likely okay with the gender change. And she would like to test his new equipment.

Zoe would be okay with it, because she is just a total professional when it come to her life.

Kaylee has complained before about the batteries on some of her more intimate toys running low. And she is clearly open to no experiences.

Simon is a doctor and he is Kaylee's boyfriend. Simon knows that his love life with Kaylee is about to get a lot more interesting.

Do I even need to mention River? She is a telepathic, genius. By reading the thoughts of other men, River probably already knows more about sex, from the male point of view, than most of the men she knows. And her genius would allow her the curiosity to learn what advantages the male form could provide.

Daiyu/Chang was originally a man. At this point, Daiyu could careless which gender he or she, currently is.

Jayne never really made it a secret what he did in his bunk. And as a woman, there is no point she would not stop now.

Now, to Mal. Mal has always had a bit of a macho streak.

In the Firefly series, and Serenity movie, I always got the sense that while Mal is no stranger to sex. He is very straightforward when it comes sex. No toys. No foreplay. Just heterosexual intercourse.

Given he is interested in Inara, whom is the polar opposite on this issue. It does make for interesting situations.

Now, while Mal is likely the most unconformable with these new gender changing abilities. Mal's discomfort is mostly not because of the gender change itself. But, what the gender change represents, compared to the macho image he has been garnering for years.

And Mal is willing to admit to himself, in thought, that given the way Inara is treating her gender bending abilities. It is very likely that Inara will one day convince Mal to have sex, with them being intimate, in reverse roles. Though, Mal is not looking forward to the event.

When I first read the Ranma fanfic, Virus. I thought back to the Deep Space Nine series. And how, not only are most male Ferengi are sexist towards women. But, their home world, Ferenginar suffers from near constant rain storms.

Ferenginar was just to tempting a target to pass up.

And don't worry. The Star Fleet, and the Federation will eventually be able to successfully treat those infected, to the point they are no longer contagious, and the quarantine on the planet can be lifted.

Until next time. Have fun.

up
31 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos