The Transit of Venus, Book 2 - Ch 55

Printer-friendly version
image_46.jpg
The Transit of Venus
Book 2 - Ch 55

Book 2, Chapter 55

My mind was full of Mum and my lack of ambition as I worked that day sewing the letters D,U, M,B, L, E, B, I and T onto each side of the mainsail cover - at least it was shorter than The Transit of Venus. Part of the reason that I got into Litara’s project, beside to pay for surgery, was my lack of ambition in any other direction - something that I saw as a personal shortcoming. Maybe I'd been looking at it from the wrong angle and I was simply unwilling to give up my freedom for status or a particular career.

I did want family and friends and I wouldn’t give up on that. ‘For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?’ Well leaving aside that I wasn’t a man and found the thought of an eternal soul more frightening than reassuring, the sentiment resonated with me. To have family and friends meant my future life had to be more than travelling all over the world making films; more than being an instantly recognisable television personality; more even than saving thousands of lives with Bill’s billion pounds.

Litara was going to have to give me time of my own in the places Dumblebit sailed and pay for regular flights back home! Why should she? Then I remembered that Litara, despite he own travels spent her weekends in Cardiff whenever she could. Maybe I was learning what she already appreciated. It might be ok for some to sacrifice all for the pursuit of happiness but I, my family and my friends weren’t built that way. Even Serena, the fashion lover who is in no hurry to settle down, appreciates the urge to plant trees. To see them grow and accept that pain is an unavoidable part of life, especially when dealing with her parents.

* * * * * *

Party, party, party!!! We had nothing special on for Friday our finances being precarious but we did go down to the local pub where just before closing time Penny somehow told Andy that it was time for him to propose to her. Forget anything you thought you knew about marriage proposals because in real life women decide not only whether to get married but when the man should propose.

“What on earth are you up to Penny? You two are much to young to be getting married!” I asked in the ‘Ladies’ a few minutes later.

"You know that and I know that but Andy needs some sense of purpose in his life and getting engaged is something for him to commit to.”

“Does he know you don’t want to marry him?”

“Oh we’ll get married and have children eventually - I’ve known that since we first met. It may though take a little more time than he anticipates before we actually tie the knot . Like 10 years more.”

Who am I to argue, especially when there's an excuse to party, which is why we agreed to gather next night at the same place where last week we saw Robbie Williams making music with my big sister.

Before that there was a lot of running about to do. There must have been something in the air because Bill’s plan to sail Molly back from Swansea to Cardiff had blossomed into a romantic weekend for Bill, Grandma Tina, Mum and Dad. Saturday morning I drove Bill and Dad to Swansea where they set sail with Molly for Porlock 25 miles to the South-east across the Bristol Chanel on the English coast. Somewhat later Mum and Grandma drove over to Porlock where rooms and dinner were waiting.

Meanwhile I was being measured for a wet suit by the Swansea dive instructor. It takes 25 different measurements he explained which is one more than for a man. Bust size was my guess for the extra measurement but predictably for the sailer of Dumblebit it was bum. It was his job to pass these measurements to the manufacturers who would deliver the completed wetsuit to Milford Haven for me to collect during the publicity assignment.

Back in Cardiff for an early lunch and a practice session with Serena for the surprise song we had chosen for the party then a rush over to the hall for the dance class. I think by this time John had changed his teaching tack from new dances to new moves because it rather shocked Litara and Simon who had come along to help as replacements in the main class for our missing parents. Litara was the most surprised I think because she was still thinking of my dancing as a provincial adjunct to the modelling course I'd completed, forgetting that I'd been having two serious dance lessons a week for several months assisted by John's practice tapes at home. It would be false modesty to deny that although Litara might have sung with Robbie Williams and won the pole-dancing competition in the Dominican Republic, when it came to dancing salsa I was in a whole different league.

Preparing our evening meal together after I’d showered back home I caught Litara watching me…

“What?”

“Have your periods started yet?”

The directness of her question stopped me in my tracks and all I could do was shake my head ‘No’.

“I just wondered because when I watched you on the dance floor you weren’t the same enthusiastic youngster I saw dance in London but a seriously hot woman.”

I didn’t know whether to be embarrassed because I was still physically juvenile or flattered. I settled for flattered and gave her a hip shake to emphasise my abilities.

* * * * * *

The round of applause and cheers that Penny and Andy got was honest and heartfelt. They might have only been 19 but when you see real love it can’t be doubted. Andy sang his proposal to a karaoke backing track but he had also been practicing with Evan and Philip as his backing singers so when he went down on one knee and sang ‘I Swear’ Penny blushed and accepted as sincerely as any man could have wished and I wondered how long her resolve to wait 10 years would last.

The evening was long, well lubricated and enthusiastic with several other musicians selecting more romantic themes than they might have another night so that when the time came for Serena and I to do our song there was scarcely a need for the backing track because everyone knew and joined in with ‘Lean On Me.’

I apologise that my posts will be a bit erratic for a while as I am travelling and will have a lot of work and few internet connections. Venus, Book 2 is drawing to a climax that I can almost grasp and hope will please - I really want to know for sure what happens to Venus next.

up
107 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Bon Voyage Rhona

Christina H's picture

Venus is getting to be a full woman but is concentrating on her life and future.

You have really got the sense that she is worrying about what life holds for her.
I wonder what life does hold and will we reach the climax (sorry about the choice of words)
before you go on your travels?

Christina

Rhona,

Rhona,
Have a safe, wonderful journey and I will be waiting for your return as well as the safe journey of Venus, both in her ocean voyage and her new life in womanhood.
Hugs, Janice

‘I Swear’, I'll be here when you return!

‘Lean On Me.’ for moral support if needed...
Have a safe trip Rhona! Venus has most certainly grown by leaps and bounds! I was wondering how "Molly" was getting back, we won't dwell on how long that may take! (Giggles). Smart move by Penny, maybe her Parents will back off match making as well... lovely! Loving Hugs Talia

Calm seas, and a following wind

It seems things are coming to a conclusion nicely. Can't wait to see how things will end.

Kevin