The Void

Printer-friendly version
The Void

A science fantasy short by Melanie E.

-----

She stood guard at the void.

Nobody ever asked her how long she had been guarding the void. This was because no one ever approached the void at all. Even if they had, she would not be able to supply an adequate answer; she had been guarding the void for as long as there had been a void to guard, standing vigilant on the cusp of its terrible pull and waiting.

She never slept. She never moved. And she never turned to look at the void. She could vaguely remember doing so once, long ago and perhaps in another lifetime. The images that would occasionally swim to the surface of her mind were the things of nightmares, terrifying not in their substance but in their lack thereof. The void was just that: empty, soulless, and cold. It was a gateway she knew not where, only that she must wait eternally, though whether she stood guard against anything entering or leaving, even she could not say.

She stood guard at the void.

The void, in turn, waited.

--End--

NOTES:
Yeah, not much here; just a little pseudoscience short that popped into my head while I happened to be seated at my keyboard. A little creepy, a little weird. But fun, no?

up
133 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Gah!

I'm gonna have that stuck in my head for WEEKS!

Melanie E.

Intense mood piece... if that is the right term for it

Not a word wasted.

By either Melanie E or Rasufelle.

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. So kewl you get to have two of you. There is only one if me... if you don't count the Greek Chorus in the back of my mind. And the marching band... Scout Troop... Okay so there are FEW people in my head.

--GRIN --

P.P.S. Really. Nicely done. At least an A- in college lit. And you used a SEMICOLON! WOW! I can't even remember how to use one of those. But I type it in error a lot,

John in Wauwatosa

Sounds like

a black hole.

I worry sometimes

In case you feel you are on the edge so please don't turn your head and feel the need to stare into the void if you infer this is a black abyss. We don't want you to be hypnotized .
This must also be the feeling of a statue. Never knowing her duty, role or who will come or when or why. Standing there in all weathers with no expectations and frozen in time.
Your story made me seek out a film of two climbers called The Void that was a positive result for me. I had forgotten its name.
You also pointed me to a famous poem quite by chance. 'Casabianca'.
I guess you have an ability to stir thoughts from your postings even if they are short like this one.
Strange entry at first read for me but look what you did. I don't know what thoughts you provoked in others or what might have resulted. Hopefully positive ones.
.

Jules