The Platinum Chef : A Tale of Delacroix Part XXIX(b)

Printer-friendly version

Amber had her jeans on just so, while the green top’s scoop neck showed just enough to let the imagination fill in the rest.

She was off with Kurt, he had excitedly told her about tickets he had gotten to a local acoustic set played by local artists. The town center was lined with local businesses. Taking a lap to sample wares, Kurt and Amber split a huge Shawarma and laughed at the unusual sights.

“So, how’d you get the tickets?” Amber asked.

“I…umm…” Kurt looked down. “I used to sell to them.”

“I’ve been meaning to ask you that, you just stopped?” Amber only knew about drug dealers from movies… Just when I thought I was out…

They pull me back in.

“Yeah. It was  a pain in the ass anyway. Phone won’t stop ringing, sketchy people. Honestly, didn’t realize how much work it was…”

“Until you came along.”

“So where do you get money?”

“Guitar lessons.” He shrugged and stroked his minimalist soul patch with his left hand.“Same story, just now I actually give guitar lessons.”

Amber laughed, then took a bite of the spiced meat and flatbread.

Kurt was having a good time, Amber was having a good time.

Maybe the drug I needed really was a girlfriend. Who knew?

 ***

Rach and Faye were basking in the joy of being young. Radio way too loud, SUV bouncing way too hard.

Young, irresponsible love never seemed so comfortable.

Rach had a lot on her mind, but heading to prom with Faye pushed it all to the side.

Advocate, schmadvocate.

My night.

“That Tim is really sweet.” Faye said. “He got her a hotel room, I can only imagine what they’ll get up to in there.”

Rach turned with a lilting smile. “Nothing we won’t get up to?”

Faye laughed. “Well, let’s see. You play your cards right, princess.”

Rach joined the laugh as the school loomed ahead.

 ***

Kim and Heather were sitting in traffic.

“Why do they call it rush hour? Nothing moves.” Kim said as a motorcycle flew by, splitting a lane. Definitely less traffic that way. Wonder if Tim ever does that on the Vespa?

The idle thoughts turned to Heather and all the colors of the traffic. She could see a little more each day. The guy two cars ahead had just been fired, Kim felt a little sorry for him.

Maybe you shouldn’t have fucked the intern in the copy room.

She was sure that if she could Read Faye, that she could take another stab at it.

Hehe… stab.

“Where are we going anyway? Don’t we have like two hours to grab dinner?”

They had chosen to find some gourmet burritos and zip over to the plateaus and look at the kingdom of Queen Kim The Terrible.

“You ever wonder about life after all of this?” Heather asked, attacking the al pastor chicken.

“All of what?” Kim asked, her carnitas carrying a slight burn from the habanero.

“School?” She said through a mouth of refried beans.

“Yeah.” Heather chewed and swallowed. “Mom’s headed back to Auckland next month. I’m registered at the College. Got some money put away from some earlier projects. I think I’m gonna do it. Design stuff and sell it online.”

Kim pushed a shred of pork back into the tortilla casing. “You totally should.”

Kim made her voice resonate loudly, holding her burrito aloft, she intoned with all the weight of a royal edict.

“I decree that all shall be made to wear the fabulous designs of Heather Sweet.”

Heather laughed. “Good. Because you’re my model. Don’t think I haven’t seen those Instagram pics you have up.”

“Oh, those. I was screwing around.” The burrito suffered another bite.

“Really?” Heather used her free hand to check her phone.

“Because you have over four thousand followers.”

Kim looked astonished, her slightly pasty complexion getting paler. “Four…? I just started that a week ago.”

“Yeah.” Heather scrolled down. “Where’d you buy that? Love the top. Beautiful, glamorous… Screwing around?” Heather moved closer to put her arm around her girl.

“My ass.”

Kim smiled up at Heather.

“Yes it is…”

They laughed as the orange sun took on the reds and yellows indicative of the end of the day, Prom was to be an evening of beginnings and endings.

Kim and Heather each experiencing both monumental starts and finishes in their lives.

And most importantly, they were doing it together.

The way it always should have been.

 ***

The driver opened the door of the limo and helped Bobbie out. Tim followed  and led Bobbie to the front door of Maison Du La Terre.

“Tim!” Bobbie gasped. “Isn’t this place..?”

“Not for us.” Tim smiled. “They pick up on Tuesday and Thursday.”

The Maitre’D smiled as he regarded them both with an outstretched hand.

“Tim. We have your table. This must be Bobbie?”

“Yeah.” She blushed.

“Nice to finally have a face to the name.” He shook her hand gently.

“Can’t forget it now. This way, please.”

He led them to a quiet table  in the corner. The restaurant would have been uncluttered, not many would come to a place like this before Prom. It was unlikely to see anyone they knew.

Water glasses were filled and the flickering candle gave a warm accent to the sparse lighting.

Tim couldn’t stop staring at Bobbie.

“You never gave up.”

“Tim…” She had so much to say.

“I love you, Bobbie. More than anything, and after…”

Tim sipped at the water. “Timmi…”

“Try to forget.” She said gently.

“That’s just it. I can’t forget.” He gave a puzzled nod. “But you don’t mind.”

“I love you, Tim. Don’t think anything can change that.” Bobbie said. “Seriously…”

“We’ve been through some shit.”

Tim laughed. “We certainly have. I ordered already. I know it’s not the same, but I really wanted…”

The bread came, Bobbie looked at it, there was something…

They pick up on Tuesday and Thursday.

This was her bread.

“This is…” Bobbie shook a piece in her hand

Tim rolled his eyes. “You just look at what to make, don’t you?”

“You haven’t looked at who it was for?” Tim’s eyes widened.

“No, why? There’s just so much.”

Tim threw his head back and laughed loudly. He shushed himself quickly.

“I think.” His voice lowered. “That there isn’t a restaurant here in Delacroix that doesn’t at least buy the dinner rolls from us.”

“Mom showed me recently. The bakery? We’re going to be completely self sustaining by next year. We did it.”

“No, fuck that.” Tim said, cutting off his own sentence.

“You did. You did everything.” Bobbie could see the tears of joy welling up. The salads came, Tim opting for a raspberry vinaigrette while Bobbie nabbed the Blue Cheese.

“My life is good, and it’s your turn. Once school’s out, Bobbie.” He shook his head and scooped some salad into his mouth.

Bobbie looked down and laughed. “They’re using frisee. The awkward lettuce.”

“We’re gonna be able to go full steam. Looking at hiring someone else.”

Tim reached across the table. The warmth of his hand penetrated hers. “Give us more nights off like these.”

“But.” Tim turned wistful. “Not too many other nights in life that can ever compare with this. Great food. The coming end of life’s first big chapter…” He trailed off.

“Perfect companionship. Girls like you don’t exist. At least I used to think so. Used to think a lot of things.” His touch and smile were contagious, and Bobbie soon felt the love expanding between them.

The Diane station arrived and Bobbie knew what was about to happen. Tim was a little entranced, and Bobbie couldn’t help but be the same. The smell  of the shallots and onions  wafted over them.

FWOOM!

“EEEE.” Tim squealed. Bobbie jumped in her seat and laughed while turning to Tim, lest Timmi suddenly make her way back to Bobbie.

“Diane for two, with potato and turnip puree with haricot vert.”

Bobbie ordered and sipped at an iced tea with lemon and sugar and enjoyed the time with her man and the dish that she had waited to enjoy with him.

“I’ll make this next time.” Tim said. “Theirs is good, but I actually think mine’s better.”

Bobbie savored a mouthful. “Of that I have no doubt.”

The rest of dinner was a light affair, both just spending a night out. Dressed to kill, and each with the one person in the world that they should have been sitting with.

 ***

The ballroom of The Shelton had been decorated. The decorations were awfully similar to the ones used at the Winter Ball, but the special things had come out.

The better ballroom was used, and the punch was made from the fresh fruits of the season. Music was thrumming and the thousand points of light pinpricked their speckly way across the walls. Some faintly colored large blobs rotated at odd places. The combination of light and dark was majestic looking to Bella as she came in.

She had decided that she would get there early and watch everyone come in. It would be the only time she had ever thought of this, but she wanted to see everyone one last time.

In a fuckin’ natural fuckin’ state.

Rach and Faye were some of the first to arrive. Rach’s hair stood out, even in the semi darkened room. The flush of color and sound combined with the lighting made everything look hyperreal, like living in a lucid dream state. Fantasy become fucking reality. Bella wondered what Brown would be like. Colleges like that weren’t exactly known for their party atmosphere.

Bella would have to fucking change that.

As more filtered in, the ballroom was a veritable garden of colors and the various flora and fauna of the American High School.

She was gonna fucking miss this fucking town.

 ***

Tim and Bobbie walked toward the ballroom, holding each other close. Her hand on his chest, his muscular heartbeat pounding against her. Her heart, too, was beating hard, and the shudder of her whole body affected by the shake provided a counterbeat to the sounds of the universe.

The smiles were wide and the happiness palpable, even Bobbie’s visions of the Winter Ball paled in comparison. So much promise, so many futures…

So many experiences left for life to offer.

The couple made their way to the dance floor. Bobbie knew that Tim couldn’t dance to save his life, but wanted that closeness to never go away.

I'm scared today, more than I told you I was yesterday
Give me a moment to catch my breath
And hold me every second left

            Tim was thinking about how beautifully everything had turned out. Being here with Bobbie was just icing on the cake. Bobbie’s feel glided along the dance floor…

“Tim!” Bobbie exclaimed.

“Hmmm.” He responded dreamily.

“You’re dancing.”

“Hu…I…” His feet didn’t lose rhythm  once, not even while talking.

Bobbie’s smile broadened. “Not going to ask.”

She nestled closer to him, luxuriating in that delicate glass rose feeling. Maybe Timmi was good for something.

Don’t count the miles
Count the ‘I love you’s’

Bobbie felt as if she could count them forever.

 ***

Rach and Faye were dancing. Slow dancing wasn’t normally their thing, but Rach was just happy to have her girl in the right place.

Her arms, the best place in the world.

“Ooh… can we cut in?” Faye asked, indicating Bobbie and Tim.

Rach looked at Faye oddly.

“C’mon.” The blonde pleaded. “It’ll be fun. He’s a terrible dancer.” She laughed.

They spun their way towards the couple of blue and black and got their attention.

“Can we cut in?” Faye giggled. “I wanna dance with him.”

Bobbie couldn’t begrudge Faye a dance. Both couples disengaged and swapped partners. Bobbie and Rach leaving the dance floor in search of punch.

“Look at those two.” Rach pointed.

“Yeah, they have history.”

Rach swallowed and looked to Bobbie.”When we were… each other. They went out. He thought he was going out with me.” Bobbie shrugged.

“So, she took him out, and they had a really good time. Then that whole mess with Timmi happened, then Faye took her out, you know about that.”

“Yeah.” Rach said dryly.

“There’s something between those two. It’s not like that, but.”

“They’re good friends, no matter what body they inhabit.”

Rach laughed. “Jesus, we must sound fucking crazy.”

“Said the girl with the blue hair.”

 ***

“When did you learn to dance?” Faye asked.

“I dunno. Just finding out about it now. Maybe it was all that stuff with Timmi?”

“Maybe.” Faye got as close as she could, felt his crotch respond to her grind.

“Faye.” He knew where this was going.

“Awww, what? Don’t like me?”

“Faye. Of course I like you; you’re my friend, but that’s all. I love Bobbie. You can test me all you want.”

“Silly boy. Your loss.” Faye said, relishing the feeling of being held by Tim until they reached their original partners.

 ***

Steve and Beth sat at the college amphitheater. They had sat and talked while eating at Slice of PI and the conversation had been about absolutely nothing. Sugar and songs, gumpaste and graduation.

Beth reveled in her night. Sure she’d been on a date with Steve before, but this was different. The college was putting on a production of Annie Get Your Gun. Steve figured that she had enjoyed Grease so much that another helping of musical theater was in order.

They held hands and felt the happiness that both felt at finding someone that wanted to be with them.

Thanks, Bobbie.

 ***

Heather towered over Kim, the shorted girl wondered how Heather got so good at dancing in heels. A tiny peek through mostly shut eyes gave her pause.

It was Tim…

And he was dancing with Faye?

He was dancing.

“What the?”

“Hmmm.” Heather said dreamily, happy to be holding Kim closely and basking in the feelings of having made it to the end of what was to be the first of many accomplishments.

And Kim would be there with her.

Whatever they were.

 ***

Tim was retrieving some punch when Bella showed up at Bobbie’s arm.

“Goddamn, Bobbie. Dress is fucking killer.” Bella said, availing herself of some punch.

“Thanks.” Bobbie took a sip.

Bella pointed her head at Tim. “Mind if I…”

Surprised, Bobbie said. “Sure.”

“But only because you didn’t say fuck.”

Bella laughed as the two walked off to enter the dancing fray that would long hang in the memory. Their forms joined and their feet fell into an unfailing rhythm.

“You became a fucking great dancer. Lessons?”

“Something like that. Big lessons. Life lessons.” An intonation of wisdom crept into his voice.

“Shut the fuck up and dance.” Bella said, laying her dishwater blonde head against his chest.

 ***

Kurt had opened the mysterious backpack when they had parked at the top of the plateau. There was a striped blanket and he unfurled it with a flourish.

The sun hadn’t quite gone down yet and there was a beautiful sunset getting ready to happen.

“I brought some pate, and some olives, and…”

Amber raised an eyebrow. “Olives? What…? I thought we were gonna build a fire or something.”

Kurt blushed. “I asked Tim’s advice. ried to sound a little cultured.”

“Well, well. The pot dealer gets embarrassed?”

He shrugged. “I dunno. Just was bored, didn’t wanna pay for it. Wasn’t so much a dealer.”

“Brought some wine.” Kurt said, brandishing two small single use glasses of Cabernet Sauvignon.

Amber shot a distasteful look.

“We don’t have to… I wasn’t sure….” He stammered. “There’s some soda, water… milk.”

 He shrugged. “Not trying to get you drunk.” He laughed.

“This is the first time I’ve come up here and stayed sober.”

“Is it any different?” Amber asked, genuinely wondering.

“Only because you’re here. Was some band, huh?”

“Wish we could play a gig that big.”

“Aren’t you guys doing the grad party out at the graveyard?”

“Yeah.”

“That’s gonna be huge. Can’t wait to see that one.”

“You know what?” Amber said, spreading pate on a cracker. “I will try that wine. There’s not enough there to…”

Kurt had his open and sniffed at it. He swished a mouthful.

“Fruity.”

Amber laughed and chased the pate with a swallow of her own.

“I’m glad you came out with me tonight.” Kurt said. “You’re awful pretty.”

“You’re not so bad yourself.”

The gourmet tasting party continued until the sun fell down and the moon came along propped  up by the stars.

 ***

“Heather. Never said thanks for the intervention.” Kim closed her eyes. The closeness of the evening. “Or that I’m sorry.”

“Kim.” Heather said. “Shh, don’t…”

“Fuck that. You didn’t give up on me, none of you did. I was such a bitch.”

“But you’re okay now, right?” Heather’s face got serious. “That’s all I care about. That, and that you’re here with me.”

Heather looked over imaginary sunglasses. “Besides, you seem to like my clothes more now.”

Kim laughed. “Oh, come on. How could I not?” She surveyed the room. “Jeez you can see that they’re having far too much fun.”

“She should.” Heather melted just a little into Kim, like syrup flowing over pancakes. “We’re all glad you brought her that day. I’ll even forgive your skinhead phase.”

Kim rankled. “Hey…”

“I said I’ll forgive it.” Heather laughed. “Been a hell of a year, huh?”

Kim laughed through her nose. “Yeah.” She looked around.

“Hey, I’m gonna run out for some Vitamin N. I’ll be…”

“Uh uh. I’m not letting you out of my sight tonight.” Heather locked an arm with Kim and the two girls glided out in their dresses.

 ***

Delacroix moved along in the night as the Prom continued and others lived their lives as normal. Cars drove on streets, people bought things and ate dinner.

Bobbie and Tim had such a great time that Tim’s newfound dancing ability made his enjoyment  of the evening something new, special.

Thanks, Timmi.

Beth and Steve had a great time. Beth laughed and clapped along with the showtunes. Steve, not usually one for westerns, found it funny. But enjoyable mostly because Beth was there with him. Since his cousin had introduced them, they had been thick as thieves. They had grown into a couple like two trees grafted together to make some new and exotic fruit.

One that grew well.

Kurt watched the sunset with a slight buzz from the small amount of wine, Amber was a little more tipsy. But another hour or so and she would be fine to drive. Once the moon comes up. They talked about how good the band was, and how much she liked the pate and the olives with the wine.

“Y’know.” Amber hiccupped. “You really are a nice guy.”

“Shh.” Kurt raised a finger to his lips. “Don’t tell anyone.”

Amber laughed.  I can kiss him, right?

“Well, you don’t finish last tonight.”

 ***

Roxx was sitting in the upstairs counting room, touching at all the bags in the new shipments. The meth shipment. That stuff doesn’t need my help. As Melanie, she had dabbled in the stuff. Never again. But, who am I to judge?

That’s Robb’s job, but, money is money. The upgrades were still on budget, but a rainy day fund was always important. She hated dealing with the stuff, really.  Using her ability tired her out, The main reason she went home early most nights.

Mikhail and Kostya could handle the rest. They’d done it before.

The music was giving her a headache tonight, and the scotch wasn’t helping.

“Nikki. Let’s go. Wanna be rested up when Bogdan and Yevgeniy come on Monday.”

“Da.” Nikki just listened to her now. He had seen no more magic, but held fear that it would be one day directed at him.

You were wrong, babushka.

Baba Yaga is real, just not as ugly.

 ***

Mary had a couple of her friends with her. She had heard about the new drug supplier that was running out of the strip club. It should have been easy, grab some dope, disappear.

It was the kind of gambit that would work once.

But forethought was never the strong suit of anyone assembled.

The big man and the unmistakable red hair exited the building. The clothes were different, The ass and pink tattoo was not.

Roxx?

 ***

The music started to wind down and the punch had disappeared. The final dance was called and Bobbie and Tim continued to be welded together.

Neither could imagine anything better than this moment. But, with no idea what the future held, such imaginations would have been useless.

“So what are you two up to tonight?” Bobbie’s eyes fluttered open to see the blue hair that signified Rach.

“I told you, Rach.” Faye clucked her tongue. “They’re gonna do what we’re gonna do…”

Faye thought about it for a second. “Sort of.”

“Tim.” Bobbie turned.  “Could you see if there’s any punch left?”

Tim looked at her puzzled. “O…okay.”

As he left. Bobbie leaned in toward Rach.

“Don’t drink.” Bobbie reminded herself to talk to Rach about a few of the quirks that came with being an Advocate. Somehow, that had totally slipped her mind.

“Why not?”

“It doesn’t agree with us.” She shook her hand up and down in front of her face

“Oh, man.” Rach pouted. “No drunken sex?”

“I didn’t say that.” Bobbie smiled. “Remember that party we went to when I first moved in?”

“Yeah?” Faye said. “You were sooo….. oh..” Surprise picked up her face.

 “I can do that.” Faye laughed. “You can get drunk from a kiss, how cool is that? Makes you a cheap date.”

Rach sighed. She wondered if that kiss would affect her the same way.

“The things we put up with for love.”

Tim came back with a single cup, half full. He held it out to Bobbie, who took it and sipped. It was cloyingly sweet.

Do people ever spike the punch like they do in the movies?

Keyboards and bass took over the sound system, it only took Tim about three seconds to recognize the song. He grabbed Bobbie’s hand.

“EEEE. I love this song.” He said as he pulled her away from her friends.

Bobbie and Tim swung into dance steps while Christina Aguilera sang about her castle golden…

…and feeling this moment.

Bobbie Sharpe and Tim Flaherty did. Smiles were wide, hands were up in the air.

It truly was a night to remember. A night to remember what led them to this sharp Polaroid quality memory.

And a night to never be forgotten. Bereft of any orientation in time or space, adrift in the tiny, twinkling lights.

Never let go.

 ***

Nikki always followed Roxx home, it was just easier. One boss was easier to protect than two. He could feel the wrong; years of bad situations had taught him to be wary of everything, and when someone like Nikolai got to the age he was…

When the blonde girl jumped in front of her all twitchy and ragged clothes, he stiffened. Sounds from the sides told him that there were more. Two, nervous.

“Mary?” He heard Roxx say. He didn’t hear what came next, the other two had started moving.

“Give us the shit.” A male voice said. Nikki didn’t even think, he knew where the other one was. Three quick bounds and a whack with the butt of his Makarov knocked the other sound out with a rustle of shrubbery.

“Roxx.” Nikki called. The redhead spun for a second to see the other attacker on her. The blonde girl staggered backwards.

Scared.

Mary screamed, “Don’t hurt her, you said you wouldn’t”

Roxx grunted under the full weight and bad breath of the pale man.

 ***

Roxx had immediate fear for her life, it had been a long time since she felt such sheer panic and terror. The ribbons of red meshed in angular, harsh shapes. She had to get him off.

Have to get him off.

He suddenly stopped and rolled over, clutching at his groin and moaning. Roxx felt the warm dampness soak through his jeans and her dress.

Nikki was there just in time to see his face, white with fear as he ran away. Roxx wasn’t sure he touched the ground once. He leveled the Makarov, silencer at the ready.

The redhead got up with a disgusted look. She was shaky, she turned to face Mary.

She was just as scared as the other assailant had been.

“That wasn’t very nice, now was it.”

Roxx pulled a cigarette from the case and it seemed to flare to life of its own volition.

“We weren’t gonna…” Roxx moved closer, the scent of fear clobbering the smell of her cigarette.

“Gonna what?” Roxx exhaled. Mary went down to her knees. She could see that Mary was telling the truth. She looked down.

“Ugh, that’s not coming out. Where did you find him?”

“He… they…” Mary swallowed.

“They’re my friends. They took care of me after you… you…”

Roxx glided forward, between Nikki and Mary.

“There were too many things going on, I had plans.” She smiled, offering her cigarette to Mary.

“Couldn’t have you getting hurt. Why didn’t you go home?”

“Home? Why no one there cared.” She sucked greedily on the nicotine delivery system.

When Roxx touched Mary, she felt less twitchy.

Ooh, guinea pigs keep dropping out of the sky at me, don’t they.

She had a much better handle on this whole magic thing than all the others.

“C’mon. Nikki. Go back and get the car.”

Nikki’s brow furrowed.

“She’s okay.” Roxx smiled down at Mary.

“She’s with me.”

 ***

Amber and Kurt had packed up the impromptu picnic. The wine was fading and they decided to take the long way home.

Passing Cheepskates, Amber spoke up. “Wonder what Bobbie and Tim are doing.”

Kurt laughed and encircled his arms around her from behind.

“Probably this.”

“With lousier music.” Amber agreed. “I’m glad we did this. You’re not who you look like.”

“You are.” Kurt tightened.

“And you’re fucking beautiful.”

 ***

“We should come out to shows like this more often. That was cool, Annie was one tough girl.”

“I hear they’re gonna do Wicked next year.”

“Wicked?”

“It’s about the Wicked Witch of the West.”

“Oooh! I love Wizard of Oz.”

“Well, darlin’.” Steve offered his arm and led Beth back to his car. “We should get a move on. Got the bakery in the morning?”

“Oh, no. Tim says we’re closed till tomorrow night. It’s gonna be a crazy month, we have cakes and bread and…”

“I know.”

“Tim’s gonna hire me.”

Beth squealed and threw her arms around Steve.

“We’re gonna be bigger than Little Debbie.” Beth said, caught up in the excitement of the moment. She kissed Steve.

It just seemed right, them there together. Everything falling the right way.

In the night, a night of calm and peace…

And romance.

 ***

“Yes, Mr. Flaherty. You’ve been checked in, and here are your keys. Checkout time is noon, and breakfast starts at six. Internet network’s name is Shelton and there’s no password. Will you be needing a wakeup call?”

Bobbie looked at Tim and cut him off. Swinging the garment bag over a shoulder, while Tim grabbed his backpack.

“Nah, We’re gonna be up late.” The desk agent smiled knowingly as she slid the key across the counter.

They took the keys and headed to the elevators. Tim pressed the 6.

“Sixth floor? Tim…”

Tim grabbed her. “Shhh. This is your night.”

“Yours, too. Hot stuff.” Tim jumped as he felt Bobbie squeeze a strong hand on his left buttock.

“Hey, slow down. Maybe I just wanna cuddle.”

“Shut up.” Bobbie forced herself up onto her toes to kiss Tim.

When the door opened there were titters of laughter.

Then she saw the room.

That’s no room…

It was a suite. The spacious room veered off into a bedroom with its own bathroom. The bed was huge, and There would be a gorgeous view of the sunrise in the morning.

If they didn’t use too much energy and the blackout curtains weren’t so black.

Bobbie was beyond nervous, a giddy, fidgeting mess. She knew what was going to happen. It wasn’t as if sex would be a new thing. The time in Faye’s body had eaten through some of those taboos like termites munching away dead wood.

Then there was the brief time when Timmi was around.

They could finally be together in the way she wanted.

Needed…

Demanded.

She hung the garment bag on the hook and turned to find Tim right there, smiling broadly.

“Tonight is…”

Bobbie couldn’t contain herself anymore, she flung herself at Tim. There was a thud as his head collided with the hanger bar in the closet, he fell hard. Bobbie collapsing in a heap on top of him.

They both were laughing so hard that neither could keep their eyes open as their sides began to ache with the pain of overuse. Bobbie brought down herself on Tim , kissing him passionately.

She rose slowly. “You okay?”

“Yeah.” Tim laughed, rubbing the back of his head.

Bobbies face hovered close to his. “You saved me, too. You know?” Tim gave a confused look.

“I don’t always have it together, as much as it looks like. Believe you me, this whole year has been…”

“Complicated. Without Kim and the band, you and Faye. I… I… I’m not too sure I would have made it this far.”

Tim was stunned, he’d never seen her this vulnerable before. She looked at him, and for once he knew what she was feeling instead of the reverse.

That endearing and sometimes maddening way she always knew the right thing to say or do. She had been his rock through this entire escapade.

And now he found out that it was merely pumice.

“If you tell me that the strength was inside me all along…”

Bobbie smiled and kissed his cheek.

“Wasn’t it?”

            Bobbie smiled hungrily as she rose to grab the hanging bag and turned toward the bathroom.

“I’ll be right back.”

 ***

Rach was driving through a desolate part of town. Since it was prom, they had their pick of about thirty afterparties. Ranging from keggers to loud dance parties, finding one that struck the right balance between the two hadn’t been too difficult.

She just wanted to do some more dancing, the tension and stress from the week demanded to be worked out. The blue hair turned out to be a positive thing, Faye finding it something of a turn on. It had been one of those nights where Faye was a little overamped. Rach couldn’t tell if it was from caffeine, endorphins or just the general fun atmosphere of the night.

“Ooh.” Faye blurted as she bounced over the whoops and clicks of Rach’s speakers. “We need to stop.”

“Why?” Rach asked. She turned and nodded knowingly. “Thong riding into the unknown?”

“No-hoooo.” Faye laughed with her mouth open. “Water, duh.”

They stopped at a small store nestled between a pawn shop and a used clothing store. Faye went in and came back out while Rach kept the engine running.

“What’s in the bag?” Rach asked.

“Not gonna tell.” Faye set the bag by her feet and crossed her arms in finality.

Rach grinned sideways. “I said play your cards right. You’re acting like I’ve got a pair of twos, waiting on a face card.”

“Hey, I just wanna get to the party. And I don’t know what that means.”

Rach started the vehicle.

“Go fish.”

 ***

Zoe was out driving, the uncluttered streets providing some solace as she contemplated her school years. The whole prom thing didn’t interest her, just being out and alone with her thoughts were enough.

Sure, she’d go to college, tell her dad that she didn’t want to sell cars. That was sure to be a letdown since Stacy showed no interest in continuing the family business. She was glad that she didn’t have to pick a major until her third year. Zoe had gone in so many directions at once that picking one single field of study was sure to be difficult.

She thought about all of the people she knew, taking part in the rite of passage ritual that was prom.

But, tonight. Zoe Keebler was studying the town where she had spent her life. First as Stacy’s sidekick, then later as the iconoclastic girl that truly gave no fucks. She knew she’d have to tone it down someday.

But not today. Zoe’s mind started clicking. Never thought I’d want Faye to kiss me…

…again.

 ***

Bobbie looked in the mirror at herself. The dress was off and she had changed into the ‘special’ package that was left by Heather.

Her design turned out to be something that would have been at home on a page of the Frederick’s of Hollywood catalogue. There were stockings, garters and a filigreed camisole that had gold lines and whorls that looked unique as a fingerprint…

Or a circuit board.

She could hear some music playing from outside. Tim’s dancing had been a pleasant surprise. Hell, no. That was shocking.

Keeping herself in check was getting more difficult as the evening overtook her. She opened the door to hear Jimmy Cliff playing.

Many rivers to cross
But just where to begin, I'm playing for time
There are times I find myself thinking
Of committing some dreadful crime

Bobbie smiled. She could Read that he was still pleased with the dancing echo of Timmi that had remained.

            But I need to make him remember everything else.

“Hey, sailor.” Bobbie said, cocking one leg up and reaching out to paw the door seductively.

Tim stopped moving and his face fell completely into an unusual expression. His darknesses vanished, leaving him clothed yet bare. His tie hung askew, the top few buttons undone.

“And here I thought we were gonna see Drop Bears 2.” Tim smiled.

Bobbie was close to him, holding him. “And here I thought you were scared.”

Tim grabbed onto Bobbie, squeezing. “I know to put the Vegemite behind the ears.”

Bobbie laughed. Tim took his opportunity to kiss her. She was shushed immediately by his lips. She could feel his hands sliding up sides, pulling her closer to him.

The tactile sensation of the sheer fabric and filigree made Tim feel like he was high, drunk…

Hmm, it’s not like drugs at all.

That’s because it’s real, dumbass.

If anything, Tim’s smile was bigger now than ever.

“How did I ever wind up with the most…”

Bobbie grabbed the back of his neck, initiating another kiss. Tim’s arms flew out as he fell backwards again, colliding with the pillow topped mattress.

She stood over him.

“Tonight. Only we matter. After everything we’ve gone through.” She lowered herself onto the bed. Using one hand she began unbuttoning the rest of the fasteners on the crisp dress shirt.

“We’re all finally where we belong.” She kissed him again, a hand undoing the buckle and clip that held the pants closed.

“You…”

Tim finally began moving a hand to rest it on one of Bobbie’s breasts. It was a perfect fit, unlike Faye’s body where he had risked a sprained thumb. The way their bodies fit together was like that perfect moment when a Tetris is created.

“Me.” His other hand moved him upwards. “Everyone…” Bobbie threw her head back as she felt Tim’s brawny hand gripping her breast underneath the camisole.

“Unhhh.” Bobbie bit her lip before opening her eyes to look at Tim.

Her Tim.

She allowed him to turn her over as he shed his shirt. Bobbie’s slightly chilled hands felt their way up his stomach.

“Tonight was great.” Bobbie said, reaching down and hooking a hand into the elastic of his boxers.

“Let’s make it better.”

 ***

Steve and Beth were at her house, alone. According to the note left by Roy, he was out with Sylvia.

“Beth. I’m gonna get going. You may not have a big day tomorrow, but I do. I need to make that menu for the chef.”

“Ooh, what did they give you. I know you were hoping to get pork, but.”

Steve’s doughy face dropped a little. “Crab, a little worried. But I thi…”

Beth jumped up and kissed him. “It’ll be fine. I’ve got studying to do, too.”

“But that can wait till Sunday.”

“See you tomorrow?”

“Yeah.” Beth brightened. “There’s that sandwich place downtown…”

“It’s a date.” Steve grinned.

Beth turned and slid down the door after it had closed.

Gosh, how can one girl get so lucky?

 ***

Kurt and Amber were kissing in his car. Amber lived about a block away. He was keen on not casting the wrong impression. Trying to be the nice guy required a little more ninja like skill than he wanted to put forth.

“So, can I see you again?” Kurt flashed the smile that made her take notice in the first place.

Amber grinned. “Fourth date, I’m breaking you in two.”

Kurt laughed.

Amber didn’t. “I’m serious, dude.” She pushed up her glasses to emphasize the point.

He started the car and drove the short distance to her door.

As he watched her leave, he made sure she was inside before he pulled away.

On the way home all he could wonder was that if nice guys finished last, whoever else existed in that group of stragglers might be the ones worth racing with.

 ***

Rach watched Faye throw the tiny bottle away.

“What was…”

“Mmmmmmph.”  Faye was on Rach with a deep, long kiss. Rach noticed a strong taste of Blackberries.

“What did…” Rach giggled, she felt sobriety slip away in an instant. “Oh, wow.”

“I’m so drunk. But not … “ Rach’s eyelids lowered a quarter of the way “Huh… this is weird.”

Faye used her voice to stop Rach from overthinking. “Now let’s go have some fun before you get all fuddy duddy like Bobbie.” Faye bounced her way into the crowd as the reversed baseline throbbed at both girls.

“WOOOOOOO!” Faye’s lovely breasts began to hover as their bearer shifted vertically.

There was a ringing in Rach’s ears, only by watching everyone else could she follow the beat.

Faye’s smile, framed by the pink streak and the blonde hair that Rach had consigned herself to keeping around for a while.

She’s so cute…

My funny Valentine.

Rach was bouncing right along. In her drunkenness, she reflected on  her life as her feet left the ground. Graduation coming up, all the new things in her life that came with being an Advocate.

The high pitched ringing went away as suddenly as it started when Rach’s feet connected with the ground. Bass dropped and the two girls jumped facing each other before almost touching.

“You’re the best!” Faye bellowed while Rach threw her head back and laughed. The dancing and the music only registered in a back corner of her mind. The sensations, the dizziness, the flush of all the possible futures that occupied her mind.

And Faye…

Magic is some annoying shit, Rach reflected.

But it makes life interesting.

 

 ***

Tim  gasped as Bobbie’s tongue slid along the left side of his erect member. He looked down and she smiled with gleeful abandon as she held him close to her face.

Bobbie’s blue thong was a memory and Tim’s briefs were hung up on his left ankle. Tim sat up and let her move upwards. He kissed her and rolled them both over. She ground herself close to his erection. Finally feeling his true body against…

Mine.

It was now more than ever that Bobbie truly became who she was as she felt Tim lance into her smoothly. Her back arched almost of its own volition as she cried out.

“Tim!”

Everything was washed away in that snapshot of infinity. Fully joined to another, letting go of everything. Ensconced in the now.

…the one…

The only.

Tim.

This dance had been danced before, although the logistics were different each time. Nothing could compare to this glorious now. Alone with him, feeling him inside her.

Joy. Elation. Mere words, emotion was the sole currency now. Connected, grounded.

Stable.

It was as if this time was the one thing she had been told they could never have together.

Yet, here they were, again. Both begging internally to never let this moment end.

 ***

As he entered her, he felt… something.

It was almost like the whole universe stopped. The music of the spheres on pause as the track slowed and eventually ground to a halt. He could see nothing else.

Bobbie.

The girl that gave him his life back, his mom back.

She completed him.

Shut up, Jerry. This is no time for…

“Unph… Bobbie.”

He looked into the open oceans of perfect diamond blue and said the thing that both members of the young couple thought.

“I love…”

 ***

“…You.” They completed in unison. Bobbie felt herself cross over into orgasm as Tim began the full body convulsion that denoted his climax.

She felt different somehow. The times with Tim were always wonderful, but this time it was moreso.

I guess it’s true, it’s always best with the one you love.

They held each other lovingly, silently; both afraid to speak, lest the intrusion of speech cause some other otherworldly thing to happen.

There was no TV, the soft reggae continued to spin as they stared out the window at the gigantic rising moon.

Bobbie stared at it and saw it as a sign. There would be no more hiding, no more remaining in the shadows. She would embrace it all, everything she was.

Everything they were, left behind in the warm embrace of now.

I’ll think about it tomorrow, for tomorrow is another day.

The silence was broken as Bobbie’s ears registered a murmur from Tim.

“..eye…n...jell.”

The final sound fell on the ears of the unconscious.

 

 

up
33 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

This is a good middle chapter.

This is a good middle chapter. Mostly just low key romance, but good low key romance.

I appreciate you not ending this chapter on a cliffhanger, thus keeping the same low key mood for the entire chapter.

From a writing standpoint. This is good. I find it a crude to throw in a cliffhanger at the end of a sedate chapter, just to do so. There was no reason for a cliffhanger here, and you work shows that.

Though, I can tell that you are building up something in this chapter.

I feel I will get more out of this chapter, after your next chapter comes out, and I get the chance to read that chapter.

And I look forward to reading your next chapter.