Tamara's Diary - Easter 2015 Part 1

Printer-friendly version
Tamara's Diary - A Tommy & Tamara Interlude

 
Dear Diary, isn't that how it's supposed to go?

What's weird is that I can't say alot of what I want to say, it's all rather silly but apparently those are the rules?

 
Thursday 26th March

I still can't get my head around today! The Head was totally over the moon about the play and the newspaper reporter wanted to interview me but the Head wouldn't let him - thank you Dr McIntosh! As for that lady from the examination people, was she allowed to tell me that? It didn't matter! The boys, and Tanya, did a fantastic job and I told them that. What's strange, still, is that I was in control of that performance, but perhaps not in the same way as Lady Macbeth? I was exhausted when I got home, and I was still wearing the corset! Tanya messaged me later to say she had to be helped getting out of it by her mum!

 
Friday 27th March

So, Mum, Angela and me took a helicopter to Edinburgh Airport where we met one of Dad's old colleagues John Cooper, the terminal manager. He sorted out the transfer and I headed for the Newquay flight that Pru, our PA, had booked while the others flew to London.

I wish I could say pleasant things about the flight but it was noisy and bumpy. I'm sure the airline was doing its best but did we really have to land at Manchester for half an hour? It was a good job I'd had a decent breakfast as the only offering on board was an awful coffee or ridiculously expensive cans of fizzy pop.

Anyway, we eventually landed at Newquay and I was pleased to see Heather waiting for me. I tried to ask what Sophie was doing but she wouldn't say.

The cottage is nice, plenty of room, but it is a cottage. I thought Heather and Sophie would have had some help looking after it but they do it all themselves.

What I don't yet know is what I'll be doing over the next twelve or so days. Heather told me some of her rules then said that my driving lessons would start on Sunday with Tony from the local Police.

Heather did show me some of the work she wanted me to do, but said we could leave that until tomorrow.

I sent Dad a text to say I'd arrived safely.

 
Saturday 28th March

Heather and I went shopping; I liked Trago Mills and picked up some new bras, leggings, a long cardigan and a lovely cotton print skirt. It's definitely a Spring day today. I had my first real Cornish Pasty while we were there but we did have to endure Tesco on the way back.

I did try to get Heather to tell me what Sophie was doing but she wouldn't give and became a little snappy with me.

Heather complained I was out of shape as I was tiring too easily. We did dinner and I tried to do some revision but had to give in. Perhaps she's right?

 
Sunday 29th March

It was a strange start to the day, considering that I was allegedly out of shape, but Heather did a full English (Cornish?) breakfast for us before she started my training, by talking about faxes! She also told me that Jenny, at Thames House, and DI Emily Keane would have to approve my return for the summer. No pressure then! I'd worn the new cotton skirt today but Heather told me to change it.

Finally I was collected for my first driving lesson in Cornwall. Tony, PC Anthony Burnett, was completely unlike Linda Young, my previous instructor. He was ruthless and shouted a bit when I used bad habits but apologised too, so I forgave him. What I wasn't expecting was being taken onto an airbase to do some high speed stuff near the runways. I thought we might have had a problem at security but they almost waved us through after checking our names off against a list, I think.

It was nearly lunchtime when I got back, Heather looked like she'd been busy but we had some lunch before she said anything about my work. I spent a couple of hours on stuff that I can't talk about, even to myself. Then she told me she had to collect someone from the airport, leaving me to sort out dinner.

I was not expecting Sophie to arrive but I still wanted to know what she'd been doing? It was a bit of a shock to be told, again, that Chris Jones had really died and that Sophie had been looking after someone else, but I can't say who. Damn.

 
Monday 30th March

Sophie had me up at the crack of dawn, or close to it, for a run. I really wasn't in the mood and let that be known. I wanted to stop to get my breath but Sophie forced me to continue. I could have murdered her! Then, when we got back, I was ordered up to shower when all I really wanted to do was recover, maybe with a coffee and a bacon sandwich? Some hope.

Tony and I took the A30 to Penzance before wandering around the back roads. Some of the cobbles near the quayside in Newlyn were a bit slippery but I coped. We did a short run over the speed limit, naughty, so he could see how I was doing. I don't think Linda would have done that.

After lunch, it was just Heather and me so we did some more training. When I got to writing a report it felt strange putting my name against something that could be read by some very important folk.

We were getting dinner organised when Suzie, Angela's sister, sent me a text asking me to call her. Heather let me use the phone in the office. Suzie said she'd spoken to her mum and sister but couldn't say much because they were at my flat in Docklands without a secure phone. Anyway, she wanted to get away for a few days but didn't know if she could. We talked about what had happened in Thurso since her dad's funeral but Heather wanted the phone so I had to leave it.

 
Tuesday 31st March

I did better this morning with Sophie, I kept up with her most of the way. She does not take prisoners when running, that's for sure. I'm also pretty sure she has a gun in her bum bag but she won't confirm, or deny, it.

Sophie did a session with me in the office after her trip with Heather into Mevagissey. This was really interesting stuff, I just wish I say what it was about.

 
Wednesday 1st April

April Fools' Day, and am I the fool?

I was scared out of my skin this morning, convinced we were going to crash. Tony took me back onto the airbase and we ended up in a corner with one of the fire appliances spraying foam in the road. I couldn't see what I was doing and then I lost control. I wanted to let go of the wheel but Tony shouted at me again how to regain control.

We did it a few times and I think I got the hang of it, then he had me reversing around a corner and silly things like that. I do my test tomorrow!

I did some revision and checked in with Dad, Angela, Tanya and John. The lovebirds were several hundred miles apart so only wanted to talk about each-other! Tanya though tried to tease out of me where I was. I finally said it was near Truro, which is probably in the middle of the county.

I don't think I'll sleep tonight, it's my driving test in the morning.

tammy_simple_sig.png

up
401 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Good Idea

This is a good way to get an idea what Tammy is thinking as events progress in this story that is focused on Heather and Sophie. Thanks.

Hey cool surprise here

Good companion to Unaccounted Gains. Tammy is still a teenager although she has a good aptitude for the work. Takes a different approach but Heather and Sophie are doing a good job overall.

I well remember my driving

I well remember my driving test.
For me it was more about the car being fit as it was quite old and the handbrake was faulty - the tester noticed but complimented me on my heel and toe hill start.
I was 1 week over the mimimum age. Much as Tammy is.

My very first drivers road

My very first drivers road test was done in the dead of winter at an Air Force base located in the "panhandle of Texas". Think ICE and LOTS of snow, plus minus Temps in the teens and BLOWING wind. Not the best conditions for road tests. Did pass tho. Up until that time, I had never held a drivers license from any State and even after the test I still did not have one. I did have a SF-46 Military Operators Permit, which only allowed me to drive military vehicles, but I could do so on base and off base. I finally got a California State Drivers License, at age 19, and they accepted my SF-46 as the same as having another State License, so I was not required to retake either the written or road tests. Our base in Texas also had a high speed driving course, and several other speciality courses designed for POLICE training, which I was one. The local police agencies around our base also were allowed to come out and challenge our courses. Now that was FUN. We used to have driving competitions against the civilian agencies and our Air Police Unit.
Janice Lynn

surprise!

An interesting slant on the UG situation. I bet Tammy would get a telling off if Heather and Sophie find out about this Diary with their names being mentioned and a ballpark location given!

Somehow

I doubt she cares. She is doing what she has to to survive, but I feel they are taking advantage of her to a large degree. Still, she is coming away from this with some serious driving skills.

Real world

Jamie Lee's picture

Tammy's little taste of the world in Thurso is nothing like the world at her current location. And the people she is with deal harshly with, and in, that world. If they don't, they or others can die. As was experienced in Thurso.

Tammy is out of shape, physically, because she doesn't have to be any more physical than walking from class to class, around the house, at the shop, the theater, hotel, or around to the shop in town. She has not had to run for her life, physically defend herself, or forcefully protect anyone. By the physical standards needed for Sophie and the others, Tammy is sorely out of shape.

It seemed after Dave's talk with Tanya, she understood not to ask questions which could cause problems. Yet here she is trying to suss Tammy's location. Perhaps Tanya needs another conference to help remind her not to ask certain questions over the phone. Or get too curious about what Tammy is doing. Make her understand that this is not teenage girl stuff but could cost not only her but others their lives.

Most certainly Linda wouldn't have Tammy drive as Tony does, but with the number of attempts on her life, this is exactly the type of driver training she needs. And with driving the Mini Cooper, she'll find she can do things larger cars can't. Like take sharp turns much faster than a larger car.

Others have feelings too.