Tamara's Trials - Chapter 49 "Not a game"

Printer-friendly version
Tamara's Trials - A Tommy & Tamara Story  

Part Forty Nine

 

"Not a game"

 

Sunday 15th March

The four girls chatted for a couple of hours on Saturday evening before Elsie suggested, strongly, that they went to bed. Tammy spent the night in the Rose room where she'd slept for three months, prior to moving with her growing family into Dunbankin.

Outside there was a strong wind blowing and it did not look pleasant. Tammy was the first of the four down for breakfast. Elsie was not happy.

"I wish you wouldn't wear that baby-grow, Tammy."

"It's comfortable plus I'd like a swim this morning before I get dressed."

Angela, Andrea and Alison now joined them in the dining room, all wearing onesies; Elsie sighed. A bout of spontaneous singing erupted.

"Happy birthday to you....." Angela blushed. She graciously accepted the birthday cards offered.

"Thanks everyone, but couldn't we get breakfast out of the way first?"

"Typical, thinking of her stomach first!"

Elsie coughed. "Tammy, it's rude to be disrespectful, especially on someone's birthday."

"Sorry, Elsie, where's Michael?"

"He stayed at Mark's last night, I don't know if we'll see him today. Now, would you all like a swim this morning?"

There was a chorus in the affirmative.

"Then you'll have to wait a little as I asked Leanne last night to come over and clean it for you since Anna is going to be busy with your rooms."

The four agreed to go to the games room in the basement, next to the pool, while they waited for Leanne.

"Snooker?"

"Alison, I don't know how to play." Angela was hesitant. "I might damage the table?"

The table in question was a full sized one, twelve feet long. Alison reached for the triangle and opened the box containing the balls before laying them out.

"Look, I'll sit this out as I'll just make a mess of it."

"Angela, that won't help us one bit, we'll pair up and teach you as we go. Can you play pool?"

"I've had a few games."

"So you should be able to handle the cue?"

Angela looked over at the long wooden cues.

"They're too long, can't I use a short one?"

"You can try but you won't be able to reach some of the balls."

The game started eventually however they were interrupted by Elsie, a quarter of an hour later.

"I don't want you to worry but there's no sign of Leanne yet and I can't raise anyone at the house."

"Have you tried their mobiles?"

"Yes."

Tammy remembered that her own phone was in her bedroom at Dunbankin, in it were numbers she needed.

"We have to go over there."

"No you do not, under no circumstances do you go anywhere until I'm satisfied it's safe. I've instructed the groundstaff to shut the gates into the estate then to go over there to check the place out. If necessary, and only if it is necessary, we'll then call the police. Before you ask, they men will have their shotguns with them."

Tammy was relieved but the other three were worried.

"What's going on Tammy?"

"It might be because of me."

"What might?" Andrea had her hands on her hips.

"I don't know how much I can say."

"That's hogwash. She won't say anything but I can, I've never signed the Official Secrets Act."

"Secrets? What are you involved in Tammy?"

"It's possible a Russian gang are looking for me."

"That scares me and you're trying to be calm?"

"Dad can take care of himself, so there has to be a rational reason."

"Why not just ring the Police?"

"Are they really going to believe us? As Elsie said, we don't know what's going on over there so I don't want to jump to conclusions."

Elsie was still stood there, the twins started heading for the door.

"Where are you going?"

"To look out of a window upstairs."

"No you don't, you are safer down here. I'll arrange for some drinks to be brought down."

They'd lost their appetite for snooker but didn't want to say anything that might aggravate the situation. That lasted a few minutes.

"Look, Tammy, what are you really involved in?"

"This is because of my mother, Alison."

Angela was not satisfied with that answer.

"No it isn't, it's because you are playing at this secret agent stuff and you still don't know what you're doing or why you're doing it."

Tammy started to cry. Alison told Angela off.

"No, don't Alison, she's right. I've had very little advice or guidance so most of the time I've just been lucky. Maybe my luck's run out?"

Elsie came back down.

"The men are back, there's nobody over at the house and your father's car is missing, Tammy. There's also no sign of Leanne in her flat. I asked them to have a drive around the estate and to let the dogs run free."

"Thanks Elsie."

"Why don't you all go and shower then dress sensibly. I think it's safe enough to go up to your rooms."

***

Tammy hadn't taken a pair of jeans, or leggings, with her as Elsie disapproved of such clothing. That meant she had no choice but to wear a skirt, the only one who did.

"Elsie said to dress sensibly, Tammy!"

"It was this," she spun, allowing her deep purple knee length skirt to flare, "or a frock."

Andrea wasn't convinced, it wasn't long before they were back with Elsie, this time in the sitting room.

"Very nice, Tammy."

"Thank you."

"Now, where are all your presents for Angela?"

"Dad was bringing my ones over later."

"I see, we'll wait until dinner time then, everything should be sorted out by then."

There was an assortment of Sunday newspapers available, Tammy decided she would read for a while, as a distraction. The main topic, as ever, was to do with the forthcoming election and various politicians tripping over their own tongues, or worse. Lunch was still some time away.

Just after eleven the phone rang, Elsie answered it made a note then put the handset down.

"That was a lady called Heather, she asks that you call her on this number." She had torn off a sheet from the notepad. "I did not say that you were here."

"She's resourceful and has alot of information available. Can I use the study?"

"Yes, but I would like someone in there with you."

Alison volunteered.

"Hi Heather, this is an insecure line."

"I know, but we have no choice. Firstly, your parents and maid are safe."

"Thank you, thank you. Where are they?"

"Sorry, but as you said, this is not a secure line. I've asked someone to come up to you, can you make sure they can get to the house?"

"The gates are closed at the moment."

"Yes, so I was told. You'll recognise the person."

"Okay, I guess you can't say who?"

"Correct. Why was your mobile off?"

"Dad's idea, so I wouldn't get bothered and could relax."

"That did make it difficult for us."

"I guess so."

"We're also due a report, but that's not important right now. Can you let your host know about the visitor, please."

"Okay, bye and thanks for the call."

"Bye."

Tammy was crying again.

"What's wrong?"

"I'm happy."

"Come on, let's tell the others."

One of groundsmen escorted the visitor to the house ten minutes later.

"Hello Tammy."

"Hello DC Franklin, Ben."

He sat down. "Now, can I assume you trust these people?" He looked at the twins.

"Yes Ben, completely. What do you know?"

"Your parents were advised to leave at seven this morning after specific intelligence was received. They're out of Thurso at the moment."

"What was the threat?"

"A phone call was intercepted that mentioned your name and the address of the flat, as well as the house."

"Who?"

"The call was made by a serving police officer."

"PC Trethgarwyn, I presume?"

"I can't confirm that but Special Branch have detained him and his wife."

"She was my driving instructor. Who was the call to?"

"A known criminal with links to Russia."

"That ties in with what I was told. Why wasn't anyone here informed?"

"Your father refused to say where you'd gone and we didn't want to divert resources if you weren't directly in danger."

Elsie wasn't convinced. "I at least should have been informed."

Her comment was largely ignored, Ben Franklin spoke again to Tammy. "Most people would be very scared right now, you're taking this rather calmly."

"I'm aware of some information as my mother was attacked by a pair of Russians in London."

"I see. Now, it seems that someone was interested in your driving instructor as some bugs were found in her car and bag."

Tammy blushed. Angela stifled a giggle.

"I see, you do know that it's illegal?"

"I had authority, not that I'm admitting anything. What's happening now?"

"We're looking for the Russian. There's evidence that he may be in the area."

"Try the Castletown Hotel, mum and dad had made a lunch booking there."

"Okay, thanks for that. Anyway, I'd suggest you stay here until we're certain where the guy is and whether he's working alone."

"Thanks Ben. Is anyone with mum and dad?"

"Yes, but I haven't been told who."

"Okay."

Tammy was relieved but the others were not so happy. Elsie was certainly not pleased.

"Young lady, did you plant monitoring devices on someone?"

"Yes, Elsie."

"I hope you did have a good reason!"

"I was asked by a counter terrorism officer working for MI5. Is that adequate?"

"Would Dave Brown have known about this?"

"Possibly, but he hadn't been briefed on everything. He does know the officer concerned, however."

Andrea spoke. "Who is Dave Brown?"

"I think he was formerly head of Financial Investigations at the Security Service. He was here for dinner on Friday."

"Tammy, you move in some very strange circles, even the more surprising given that we are not anywhere near London, or even Edinburgh."

"He's an old boy at St Andrews. He came up here to talk to the lower sixth, and me." Tammy decided not to mention Jonathan Meach.

Tammy was questioned a bit more but was reticent to say too much.

"Look, it's dangerous for you to know too much in case you yourselves become targets, Angela was told that."

"And it's not dangerous for you to know, that's double standards Miss Smart!"

"Elsie, it's not double standards but common sense. I was a target before I was dragged into all this, you remember what happened here at Christmas?" Elsie nodded. "That was because my mother chose to become involved in criminal activity and that was completely outside of my control. They tried to abduct me to get to her."

Everyone in the room was aware of those circumstances. Further discussion was interrupted by Thomas.

"Ladies, lunch is served."

***

By four o'clock, everyone was getting concerned again as nothing had been heard. Sunset was at six twenty but the weather, heavy rain by now, was reducing visibility greatly. The dogs had been brought in and the groundsmen were limiting their patrols.

Finally the phone rang again, Elsie simply handed the handset to Tammy.

"The Russian was found in the bar of a local hotel as you suspected."

"Thanks Ben."

"We've also arrested an eastern Europe kitchen worker there on immigration offences."

"Which country was he from?"

"We don't know yet, we need the correct interpreter and it seems his papers were forged. Immigration are going to deal with him so he won't be my problem for much longer! By the way, you can have the keys to your flat back."

"Thanks, what was the hold up?"

"Someone had changed the entry on the case management system to show it was an ongoing site when it should have been handed back. Special Branch discovered that."

"So they're not completely incompetent? Can I hazard a guess as to who?"

"You can, but I won't confirm or deny."

"Okay, can you drop them into Sarah's Boutique for me please as I'm at school all week."

"Sure, hang on." The line went silent for a few seconds. "I've just been told that your parents are on their way and should be with you shortly."

"Great, cheers Ben."

She hung up, her smile told everyone the good news. Elsie headed out of the room.

"How long?"

"I don't know. They caught a guy in the hotel who could have been about to hurt us."

Angela look petrified. "Us?"

"I presume so as four of us were supposed to be there."

"But why would they hurt me, or mum or dad?"

"Because of your association with me, they'll assume you have the same information as I do. This is what I meant."

Elsie returned, "I've asked the men to open the gates. Because of the weather I can't imagine they'll transfer to a buggy first."

"Buggy?"

"Yes, Alison, we have a pair of golf buggies to get between the two houses, there's a new roadway that doesn't touch the public roads. I parked around the back last night."

"I had images of baby buggies!" She giggled.

Angela looked disgusted at the thought. Any further reaction was halted by Thomas announcing that a Landrover had just pulled up outside.

Tammy rushed into the hallway as the butler went to open the front door. Richard, Joan and a third person ran across the gravel. It was only once the three were in, after hugs were exchanged, that attention turned to the third person.

"Sophie!"

"Hello Tammy."

"But you were in Cornwall yesterday."

Elsie coughed. "Perhaps we can go into the sitting room and you can introduce me to our guest?"

"Sorry Elsie." Tammy waited until they were all sat down. "Sophie, this is our host Elsie McPherson, you know Angela I believe and these ladies are Alison and Andrea McPherson. Elsie, this is Sophie, er I don't know your surname?"

"Mrs McPherson, I'm Detective Sergeant Sophie Grieve."

"Were you here for George Small's inquest?"

"I was and I met Tammy and her father later that day."

"I thought I recognised the face."

Tammy had a ton of questions for all three of the recent arrivals but was warned to not overdo it.

"Will you be staying for dinner, DS Grieve?" Elsie took command.

"It's Sophie and, yes please."

"Where are you staying?"

"Mrs Small has offered me a bed for the night."

"How long will you be staying here?"

"Long enough to make sure there are no loose ends and that Tammy receives some appropriate training."

It was clear that she and Richard had discussed this as he just nodded.

"Dad, where's Leanne?" Tammy had just realised that she hadn't seen the maid.

"We dropped her off, she was a bit shaken by it all. Sorry Angela but all your presents are still at the house."

"I'm just glad that we're all here. Can't Tammy just stop doing all this stuff?"

Sophie shook her head. "Not fully, not without relocating and a change of identity. Even then there's a risk of discovery."

Tammy shrugged, it was no longer a game, in any sense.

up
408 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thank you Shiraz,

Another great episode, will our girl become a female James Bond ( 006 7/8 ),licensed to thrill?? Transition is not
exciting enough for our heroine.A great read !!

ALISON

Just a bit selfish....

D. Eden's picture

And self-centered on Angela's part. It seems that she, nd everyone else won't stop trying to pry information out of Tammy, and get angry when she doesn't want to talk - even though they are aware that she is not supposed to be telling anyone what she knows.

Even more so, Angela appears to be blaming everything on Tammy.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Based on the two options, I

Based on the two options, I would elect the training over having to go into a Wit-Sec program. Seems like Tammy, her Dad, and the others within her life are being targeted by the same Russians or Russians working hand in glove with those who are targeting Cathy, Simon and Henry. Perhaps Heather, Sophia and Tammy will wind up becoming involved with our intrepid Cameron family, being as how they too own and sometimes live on their property located in Scotland. Janice Lynn

Finally?

joannebarbarella's picture

At last Tammy will receive some training in spycraft, but is it too little too late?

yep...

Alecia Snowfall's picture

things are definitely going sideways for our Tammy.....I have faith things will "get sorted" as the Brits say.

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

serious stuff!

Hopefullly our girl will get a crash course in how to behave correctly in this spy world - I wonder if Elsie is going to have to get a shooting range added to the games room for when our girl gets her ands on a Glock! Oh dear, Angela, "man up sissypants!"

Thing is

Will she ever be allowed to leave it?

Always on her high horse

Jamie Lee's picture

Elsie always walks around with a stick up her butt, always demanding, always insisting she should have been told this or that. Even though she's another one who doesn't have a "need to know." She is going to get mad one day because she wasn't told something she felt she should know, and say something which causes big problems. BTW, why does she feel she should know everything going on when she wouldn't tell others what the school Governors are doing?

Even after talking with Dave, Angela can't keep her mouth shut. She may not have signed the secrecy act but she has no right saying anything out of anger, fear, or jealousy which could endanger Tammy or the others. And if because of something she says gets Tammy or the others hurt, she is going to hate herself.

These people after Tammy are not from We Are Smart U. Sitting in a public place waiting to get someone, a stranger even, is so dumb it makes rocks look intelligent. And where did PC Trethgarwyn get his brain? From the inside of a cereal box, wrapped in plastic? Didn't he realize inquires as he made would be questioned, monitored? Would these guys' pictures be in the dictionary?

DS Sophie is here to do more than teach Tammy a few more things she needs to know. While teaching her, she'll be Tammy's bodyguard. And she is armed. Right?

Others have feelings too.

Family dynamics

Given the smuggling, plus the actions / roles of Tammy, John, George and Tara, it's likely the entire Dunbankin branch of the family may have to have some level of training in situational awareness and information security.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Too late!

In for a penny, in for a pound. When you are busy digging that hole, most people forget to look up to see just how deep you're getting. It's easy to miss when it creeps up on you, just like that frog swimming in the pot. About all they can do at this stage is give her enough training to survive this, and her family to a just lesser leve!. She doesn't need to be a 007 level, but she does need to know how to find, interpret what is there and avoid getting caught by the bad guys (007 level support)