Tamara's Trials - Chapter 47 "Just another Saturday"

Printer-friendly version
Tamara's Trials - A Tommy & Tamara Story  

Part Forty Seven

 

"Just another Saturday"

 

Saturday 14th March

Tammy had the usual concerns on Saturday morning, what to wear and who was going to drive her into town? Sarah had asked for Tammy to be available early, before she went to the theatre, as well as later on once the rehearsal had finished. At breakfast she had an idea.

"Dad, do you have your keys to the flat with you?"

"They're on my set, why?"

"I'd like to take a look down there, if I can?"

"Okay, but check with the police in case there's still a restriction?"

"Okay." Richard handed over the two keys.

Dave Brown, noting the planned exchange, had already spoken to Jonathan Meach as they had shared a hire car from Wick Airport. This car had been parked overnight at the school and picked the pair up just after eight thirty. They pulled up behind Sarah's shop.

"You'd best make a note of my number, Tammy, but please don't give it to anyone as officially I'm retired, right?"

"Sure, Dave, and I'm just a school girl!"

Tammy unlocked the security door that led to the stairwell for the flat, it smelt like it hadn't been aired for a few weeks. The three walked up the stairs with Tammy throwing open a window.

"Close it Tammy, we don't want anyone to know there's activity up here."

She hurriedly closed it up. The place was a mess, a real mess, it needed gutting before any work could start. The men were examining what could be seen from the windows, or more exactly, could anything in the flat be seen from street level? They would further examine that from the street later.

Once satisfied they looked at the floor space available.

"It could work."

"Yes, Dave, it could. Tammy, could you leave us those keys please?"

"Sure, can you drop them into the shop when you're done?"

"We will."

"Okay, I'll see you later."

Tammy pressed the buzzer by the delivery door and waited for Sarah to let her in.

"I heard a noise upstairs."

"Some friends of mine are having a look, they might be renting it."

"Not Sandy's daughter and your school friend?"

"No, they have other arrangements, hopefully. What needs doing?"

"I had some more deliveries yesterday but I also need to make up an order that are going on the ferry on Monday morning."

"Okay, I hope it's a decent sized order?"

"Only five hundred quid to start, but it could become worthwhile."

"Okay, I'll finish unpacking and checking the delivery then I'll start to put the order together."

"Great, are you able to spend any time here over Easter?"

"I'm not heading south but I have driving lessons, my driving test and an appointment in Glasgow; all during the Easter break. I also want to do revision!"

"Oh dear, the dreaded exams."

"My diary is filling up, even before we finish school on the twenty-sixth."

"How long do you get off?"

"Three weeks, it's to make up for the half-term breaks when there's no point travelling for just a few days away."

"Not when you're this far North! I'll go and open, it's almost nine."

It took ten minutes or so for the first customer to walk in but then the shop filled up quickly. This was the first Saturday since the fashion show and probably the first time many had seen the range for real. Sarah and Tammy were soon selling, requiring a restock of a few items within the first half an hour.

Tanya came calling at a quarter to ten. "Come on, Amabassador Smart."

"Ambassador?"

"I'll explain later, Sarah. Got to go!"

"Come back soon, I need you!"

Tammy and Sarah were soon joined by other members of the cast as they walked towards The Mill Theatre. There was a new sign in the carpark, announcing work was to start in early May to rebuild some parts of the site.

"Maybe a proper wheelchair entrance, Tammy?"

"Maybe, Josie, maybe."

They walked through the stage door and joined the others inside. Iain was in charge today.

"Hello everybody and welcome back. A little bird, or should that be bard, tells me that an impromptu production of Macbeth was put on yesterday afternoon at a school near here and that the director was none other than our very own Miss Smart."

"I was a stand in, Iain."

"It seems that with only minimal rehearsal and practically no notice you pulled it off."

"I had a good cast, plus John was there. I also found out that Tanya was in the audience."

"I thought you were Lady Macbeth for your school production too?"

"I was."

"So why did you have to stand in?"

"The English master resigned twenty minutes before the curtain went up."

"Oh, why?"

"He didn't like the colour of my lipstick." Tammy kept a straight face but Tanya shreiked with laughter.

"I won't comment on make-up as I never wear it and I'll always be wrong, that's one thing my wife and I agree on. How would you like to direct this rehearsal? I need to see someone about the building work here."

"Okay, so long as no-one has an issue with that?"

Nobody did, or none were brave enough to say so. Tammy led them through some gentle exercises before deciding that this was going to be a complete run through.

"When I'm not on stage as Lady Macbeth I will be in the wings but please treat this as if it's a live show."

The stage was cleared, after a minute the three witches walked on and crouched around their imaginary cauldron.

"When shall we three meet again?" They wailed.

Iain had returned after twenty or so minutes but sat near the back of the stalls. The number of errors he observed were minimal and swiftly corrected. He approached the stage as Tammy brought them all back out.

"Well done everyone, we'll have a set and costumes soon to add to the experience but I think you can be proud of what you did here this morning. Tammy, could you stay a moment?"

Iain dismissed the others but waited until the theatre was clear before speaking to Tammy.

"I came past the back of the shop today, I saw two gentlemen coming out of the flat, do you know anything about this?"

"Yes, but I may not be able to say much."

"On what grounds?"

"National security."

"I see. I thought we had your keys?"

"I had another set available and access was needed."

"We might not be able to release it back to you soon, plus you may have contaminated the crime scene."

"Iain, that was weeks ago. The gentlemen concerned fly out of here tomorrow at the latest and could probably have a letter from the Queen on the Chief Constable's desk within two days. They're both St Andrews old boys too."

"Why didn't you call and ask?"

"I've been busy at school. What have you done with PC Trethgarwyn, by the way?"

"That's an internal discipline matter."

"Okay, I'm needed at the shop if you don't mind."

Tammy swiftly left, it seemed that Chief Inspector Iain Brown may have been leant on by someone, but had she just given too much away?

Meanwhile Sarah was pleased to see her assistant nearly half an hour later.

"I could have done with you here ten minutes ago!"

"Sorry, a copper wanted a word with me."

"Not again?"

"He tried to make it look as if I was in trouble but I dealt with it. Were some keys handed in, by the way?"

"Yes, by two gentlemen who were looking for a Miss Smart. Who were they?"

"Potentially my tenants for the flat, although it's more likely to become an office."

"Nothing noisy then?"

"I think they'll be so quiet that you wouldn't know they were there."

"Good, can you make me a cuppa please, it's been a while since my last drink."

"Sure."

The few ladies who were browsing in the store had just started heading for the cash desk so Sarah was again occupied. Tammy meanwhile put the kettle on and surveyed the stock room. Sarah had obviously been looking in some of the boxes that hadn't been unpacked and hadn't tidied up afterwards. So, whilst the kettle warmed up, Tammy tried to make sense of the stock.

By the time she was satisfied with the empty boxes, Tammy's coffee had gone cold. Before she completed and checked the order she made a call.

"Hi Tammy."

"Hi Dave, I had a conversation with a Chief Inspector you might like to hear about?"

"Tammy, we're about to board our flight so can you write up your report as usual please, Jenny will send me a copy of anything that's relevant."

"No problem, but it won't be until this evening, probably."

"That's fine, I look forward to reading it, and thank you for a great couple of days."

"I enjoyed it too, see you another time."

"Bye. Oh, Jonathan says bye too."

Fifteen minutes later Tammy was satisfied the box could make the ferry on Monday morning.

"How is it getting to the ferry terminal?"

"I'll drive it there before I open on Monday morning. How are you doing out there?"

"Finished, for the time being. Do you need me tomorrow?"

"The weather isn't brilliant so I doubt if many will be around, I think I can have a peaceful day at home for once. What about you?"

"I have a two hour driving lesson, it's also Angela's eighteenth."

"I wish you'd said earlier, I could have done something for her. Err, can you look after the place for ten minutes?"

"Of course."

Sarah wrapped her coat around her before dashing out of the door. Of course, a gaggle of shoppers decided to arrive almost immediately after meaning that Tammy was busy almost straight away. It didn't help that, ironically, she was seen so rarely in the shop on a Saturday at the moment, even when she was actually on the premises.

"I was at the show, but where have you been, child?"

"Here, Mrs McAdam, but I'm also rehearsing at the theatre on a Saturday."

"But I've wanted to say how brilliant it was, how did you get picked?"

"I met the organiser, and it flowed from there."

"Weren't you the lucky one, now what do you think about this top?"

"It really suits you but I think the sizing is a little small, let's see if the next size up is there, otherwise I'll fetch one from the stock room."

"Oh, thank you."

And so it went on. Tammy had turned over close to six hundred pounds worth of trade by the time Sarah made her way back.

"Can you manage for a few more minutes? I won't be long."

Sarah disappeared into the store room. By now it was nearly three o'clock and it was no surprise when her phone vibrated.

"Hi Dad."

"Are you still at the shop?"

"Yes."

"I bet you haven't had lunch?"

"No."

"Are you ready now?"

"No, Sarah's in the back and I have a customer, sorry but gotta go."

Sarah was another ten minutes but now had a package bearing a bow as well as a large card.

"You'll make sure these get to Angela safely?"

"Of course."

"How did you do?"

Tammy held up four fingers and a thumb on her right hand.

"I must leave you on your own more often."

Tammy might have said something but a customer approached with a question that sent her into the stock room. It wasn't long before her father walked into the store. Tammy by this point was out back.

"Hi Sarah, is my daughter busy?"

"Do you need her?"

"If I could?"

"I'm not sure if I can spare her?" Sarah laughed.

"I'm afraid I really need her."

Tammy finally heard her father's voice. "What's up?"

"Can you grab your coat and bag?"

"Sure. Bye, Sarah."

Sarah waved but already had a customer bearing down on her. Richard wasn't moving slowly, Tammy had trouble keeping up.

"What's the problem, Dad?"

"Your mum's been hurt."

"Which one?"

"Your mother."

up
406 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

It Never Rains

joannebarbarella's picture

In Thurso it always pours. How does Tammy fit it all in?

Rain cloud

WillowD's picture

Actually, I suspect that rain cloud is centered on Tammy, not Thurso.

"Your mother."

uh oh ... not good ...

DogSig.png

Uh oh!

Hypatia Littlewings's picture

Now what?

>i< ..::

one thing after another

Alecia Snowfall's picture

poor tammy...the girl is going to be pulling her own hair out by the end of the day.

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Hmmmm, I wonder if she got

Hmmmm, I wonder if she got hurt trying to get out of the clutches of the bad guys she originally set herself up with?

The never ending story.....

D. Eden's picture

Tammy really seems to be a magnet for trouble! The problems just keep coming, but I'm loving reading about how she deals with everything! I hope to see much, much more!

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Never a calm stretch

Life seems quite busy for the poor girl. I hope that her Mum is OK.

Nice

Gwen

difficult!

Difficult to feel sorry for her mother - you get involved with the kind of people she has and the inevitable happens

Worse

She dragged the rest of the family into the troubles because she was greedy and selfish.

She's learning

Jamie Lee's picture

Tammy is learning to answer questions without volunteering more information. But she has a way to go.

Richard told her to check with the police before taking Dave and Jonathan up to the flat, in case they hadn't released the room. But that isn't what she does, ignoring her dad because, again, she felt she didn't have to. And because her self righteousness crept out of her bag.

Iain questioned her about the two gentleman seen coming out of the flat, and she didn't give him more than he asked for. Although, telling Iain about their flying out today could be seen on the edge of does she tell or doesn't she. Since the cover story is two old boys returning home after visiting their old school is legitimate, then no harm, no foul. And if she's pressed, then the two retired men have an idea for a marine research facility.

Could Sarah be taking advantage of Tammy? She started with Sarah for a business project paper, but it seems now Sarah can't do without Tammy's help. Would Sarah need her as much if she was paying Tammy a wage? Maybe it's time Sarah actually hire someone to work in the shop with her.

It's not good to her a parent has been hurt. In Tara's case, hurt could be under stating thing considering who she associated with. How Tammy takes the news is the main question on Richard's mind, and how he'll respond to her reaction.

Others have feelings too.